Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 1, 2017 5:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, Kino's journey once again takes her to an interesting country. This one is rather normal and a character she meets is not out of the ordinary. (Well, except this older guy with some personal logic about killing)

I kinda like how this episode took on a more casual approach with the cooking elements. Yes, culinary arts in this anime. Again, I really like the character chemistry between Kino and Hermes.
Stark700Dec 1, 2017 8:43 AM
Dec 1, 2017 8:47 AM

Dec 2014
Today it's a mix of different countries. Perfect example of more is not always better. Felt like 20m of different shorts.

Not going to prison for murder, because you have enough good deed points..here comes another weird country. The old man is struggling with the system and it makes sense.
Probably they should make people go to jail for committing cerain crimes, regardless of points accumulated. While it's true that a good person can do bad things once; there should be a limit about what.
Dec 1, 2017 9:29 AM

Jul 2012
It's going more and more into short stories episodes, not the best choice, but might've been hard to come up with quite long and entertaining stories.
The first outpost-one was pretty funny, well PTSD from Kino's master =/ And yeah Kino is really beatiful as well as her master. Other than that it was decent.
Dec 1, 2017 9:32 AM

Jun 2015
Several different countries were visited in this episode. That old man was struggling with his country's system. He got lots of points so he can kill someone. It's amusing Kino became known as the wondering chef. It was nice of Ti to wish everyone's wish to come true. Kino visited a country, but couldn't remember what happened because she was drugged. The same thing happened to her master. A note explained everything.
Dec 1, 2017 9:50 AM

Sep 2013
This episode is okay... but I better like normal form. One country = one episode.
Dec 1, 2017 10:19 AM
Nov 2016
Is this the first time they've shown more than one country in one episode?

Pretty fast paced but it was okay-ish
Dec 1, 2017 11:07 AM
Jul 2016
I'm not a big fan of how they handled comedy in this episode. The wacky artstyle doesn't really fit all that well here, especially when a more mature story is told directly afterwards. Seriously, the story with the old man has no place in this episode, it is completely different in tone compared to the rest of the content we got. Going from light-hearted to dark to light-hearted again doesn't work in episodic stories.

And girlish fanservice shots of Kino are absolutely unacceptable. There are people that don't know that she's a girl. I don't even think the series had directly revealed that before this episode. Yeah, good job Lerche...

That ending was a nice touch at the very least. This may actually be the first anime afterword ever.
Dec 1, 2017 11:47 AM

Jan 2014
didn't really like this episode, was jumping from story to story way too much

1 country 1 episode, keep it like that.
Dec 1, 2017 12:28 PM
Mar 2017
Now I'm curious about that country, on the walls of the entrance and exit had impressive statues with swords in their hands, and a cross in the middle. Pretty curious xD

The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Dec 1, 2017 12:32 PM

Jul 2014
Weird how the episode jumped from story to story this week, but it was inoffensive enough, even if they felt like they were just rushing through lots of content because of that.
Dec 1, 2017 12:49 PM

Mar 2016
I dislike how they crammed five stories into one episode. A bit unnatural to go from "old man considers killing a baby" to "dumb chefs get Kino to cook for them, how funny." The anime afterword was neat though. I'm glad your dream came true, Keiichi Sigsawa.
Dec 1, 2017 1:00 PM

Feb 2013
I liked that country where you could earn points for doing good things.
Dec 1, 2017 1:40 PM
Apr 2016
What a mess of an episode. If they stuck to 2 or less countries, it'd be ok and enough to digest in an episode but there was way too many this time, each long enough for either a joke or a dark story.

I wonder if this is what the creator of the show had in mind when creating Kino's Journey
Phosphophyllite is best gem
Dec 1, 2017 1:56 PM
Sep 2009
I've liked this episode and I laughed hard at the last country
Dec 1, 2017 2:59 PM

Jan 2014
Kino is waifu material because best cook ever. [/joke]

I did enjoy that cooking segment, but that animated afterword was the icing on the cake.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 1, 2017 3:12 PM

Sep 2011
Kino is Makoto Kikuchi in a parallel universe
Dec 1, 2017 3:33 PM
Mar 2009
I loved that afterword. I would love it if this became a standard for all anime, having a word from the original mangaka appended to the anime (maybe not the way they went crazy with putting the text on every surface).

I did enjoy the multi-story format this episode (only as break from the usual, otherwise can't get well invested in shallower stories).
Dec 1, 2017 4:04 PM

Aug 2014
I loved the episode and even the original part was good since it was probably written by the author as well, Loved the afterword part as well, i'm happy i didn't just skip the ending or listen to it without looking at the anime, 10/10.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Dec 1, 2017 4:19 PM

Dec 2014
Not the strongest episode but a good one nonetheless.

The opening sequence with the bandits or whatever was kinda funny. xD
The part with the country with honor points was interesting.

The ED was the best part of the episode.
Dec 1, 2017 5:03 PM
Dec 2015
I actually really liked the stories from this episode. It was varied, and I liked that they had different tone.While throughout most of the old man one, I thought it was weird I liked the ending. After living a whole life of good deeds, even if his intention was a bad deed, he couldn't bring himself to kill someone. He ended up not completing his life goal, and so he was unhappy about it. He told the baby dont end up like me and be happy, I think that can say a lot.

Dec 1, 2017 6:37 PM

Jan 2016
The personal message from the author at the last, what was that actually mean? The Country of Anime Afterword? Is this the last episode?

I don't understand at all!!!!!!! Someone please explain to me.....
Dec 1, 2017 7:23 PM

Oct 2012
He can spotted that Kino is a girl from miles away? What?
Even I can't when I watched the original for few episodes xD

Well I'm glad that elder didn't decide to attack Kino.. if he did, well *vietnam flashback
So... If you can be a good person for a long time then kill someone, you're innocent?
Huh seems fair xD
Just walk away ossan, it's not worth after good things you did

RIP people that ate KFC (Kino's Fried Chicken)

Again this episode is just consist of short stories
"Signature removed"
Dec 1, 2017 7:59 PM

Aug 2015
More than half these episodes have focused on someone other than Kino. People who haven't seen the original might think that Kino's Journey is just a compilation of stories about different travelers with no main character.
Dec 1, 2017 8:21 PM

Jun 2014
a mod podge of short and underdeveloped stories: exactly how NOT to adapt an episode of Kino. fuck you, Lerche.
Dec 1, 2017 8:31 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
It sure was a little bit of everything ... the switch to comedy, then serious then comedy again this episode was pretty jarring
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Dec 1, 2017 8:47 PM

Feb 2016
I really liked the first story about the country of memories. In the end, before the old man knew it, the system had effectively converted him and made him into a good man. Although of course it is up to the viewer's interpretation, I believe the old man will die without ever killing someone.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Dec 1, 2017 9:50 PM

Aug 2011
I enjoyed all of the short stories, just maybe cutting it down from 5 stories to 2 or 3 would've been more appropriate. The series seems like it's doing some weird experimental things with pacing and character introductions, is it just me?

The afterword gave me serious The Little Prince vibes.
Dec 1, 2017 10:18 PM

Jul 2014
Mouloxas said:

And girlish fanservice shots of Kino are absolutely unacceptable. There are people that don't know that she's a girl. I don't even think the series had directly revealed that before this episode. Yeah, good job Lerche...

There wasn't any fanservice shots, you're confusing your doujin websurfing for the show.

Everyone knows she's a girl the second she opens her mouth because they got a woman for the voice. Also, if you'd been paying ANY attention, it was "revealed" almost right from the start of the series.
Dec 1, 2017 11:10 PM
Jul 2018
Sokah said:
Mouloxas said:

There wasn't any fanservice shots, you're confusing your doujin websurfing for the show.

Everyone knows she's a girl the second she opens her mouth because they got a woman for the voice. Also, if you'd been paying ANY attention, it was "revealed" almost right from the start of the series.

Yup. Like Shizu going from calling her Kino-kun to calling her Kino-san after Riku whispers in his ear to let him know.
Dec 1, 2017 11:42 PM
Jul 2016
Sokah said:
Mouloxas said:

ANY shot of Kino looking even relatively feminine has no place in this show. One of the biggest aspects of Kino's journey is her being gender-neutral. Kino is Kino. Just a traveler, a passive observer of the world. Her gender is completely irrelevant and the show MUST NEVER draw attention to her the way this episode did.

Sokah said:

Tell that to all the people that think she is a boy. Because never before was a young boy voiced by a woman, right?

Also, the way Kino and everyone else refers to her is ambiguous. There are many ways to adress someone in a way that doesn't reveal their gender in the Japanese grammar. In English, of course they have to translate it to "she" because "it" is disrespectful and dehumanizing. So, in most instances where her gender is apparently revealed, it's because of translation errors.

Sangaz said:
Yup. Like Shizu going from calling her Kino-kun to calling her Kino-san after Riku whispers in his ear to let him know.

That was an extremely subtle hint and there is absolutely no way for anyone that hasn't watched the original or read the LNs to understand that Kino is a girl just from that.

HenshinDrift said:
The personal message from the author at the last, what was that actually mean? The Country of Anime Afterword? Is this the last episode?

It's common for light novels to have a small afterword where the writer shares his thoughts about the book. They just did one in anime form, the series has 3 episodes left.

I really hope such endings will become common in the future, that was very innovative!
MouloxasDec 2, 2017 3:21 PM
Dec 2, 2017 12:36 AM

Oct 2015
Don't forget to watch the ED this time guys. It contains the author's afterword
Dec 2, 2017 12:54 AM
Apr 2012
Mouloxas said:
Sokah said:

ANY shot of Kino looking even relatively feminine has no place in this show. One of the biggest aspects of Kino's journey is her being gender-neutral. Kino is Kino. Just a traveller, a passive observer of the world. Her gender is completely irrelevant and the show MUST NEVER draw attention to her the way this episode did.

Sokah said:

Tell that to all the people that think she is a boy. Because never before was a young boy voiced by a woman, right?

Also, the way Kino and everyone else refers to her is ambiguous. There are many ways to adress someone in a way that doesn't reveal their gender in the Japanese grammar. In English, of course they have to translate it to "she" because "it" is disrespectful and dehumanizing. So, in most instances where her gender is apparently revealed, it's because of translation errors.

Sangaz said:

That was an extremely subtle hint and there is absolutely no way for anyone that hasn't watched the original or read the LNs to understand that Kino is a girl just from that.

HenshinDrift said:

It's common for light novels to have a small afterword where the writer shares his thoughts about the book. They just did one in anime form, the series has 3 episodes left.

I really hope such endings will become common in the future, that was very innovative!

Well Sigsawa had said in an interview with ANN:
Kino really doesn't think of herself too deeply when she uses pronouns. Depending on the circumstances, she may use "boku" or "atashi", it kinda depends on the situation she finds herself in. In the first story, Kino always referred to herself as "boku", because it was meant to be like a little secret. At the end of the story, it was treated as a reveal to surprise the readers, because they had probably assumed someone using "boku" was a guy. So it was more of a trick at the beginning. It's not that I wanted to write a story about a girl who lives like a boy directly, it was just an interesting way to start the story, and her character's personality has continued that way since then.

Source: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-09-11/interview-keiichi-sigsawa/.121076

Dec 2, 2017 1:40 AM

Apr 2015
Upbeat, was enjoyable if a bit frantic.
Dec 2, 2017 4:02 AM

Apr 2017
Today's episode was a complete random. Likely to say, it was so funny. Kino's friend chicken comes with two versions. The country that has ability to erase memories,it may be better at least they show us some part of Kino during she's enjoying herself to that country. This episode wasn't bad at all.
Dec 2, 2017 4:03 AM

Nov 2016
Mouloxas said:
Sokah said:

ANY shot of Kino looking even relatively feminine has no place in this show. One of the biggest aspects of Kino's journey is her being gender-neutral. Kino is Kino. Just a traveller, a passive observer of the world. Her gender is completely irrelevant and the show MUST NEVER draw attention to her the way this episode did.

Sokah said:

Sangaz said:

That was an extremely subtle hint and there is absolutely no way for anyone that hasn't watched the original or read the LNs to understand that Kino is a girl just from that..

this is how the novel Illustrated Kino during the bandit's story.

The novel also has an additional line where the elder bandit saying Kino's round eyes are cute. Are you saying the author himself as well as the illustrator misgender Kino?

The novel while usually use gender neutral, tend to refer Kino as a girl whenever the story wants something specific. Kino herself doesn't care much.

HenshinDrift said:

Keiichi Sigsawa is obsessed by making the most outrageous afterwords ever seen in the history of light novel, dude keeps pushing the boundaries (both placement and format). Kino no Tabi's non-standard afterwords are practically the series staple (much to Kino's dismay).

And as for why he put it in the 9th episode instead of ep 12... No reason really, he has history of putting them behind the dust jacket (behind the cover) or disguising it as chapter. In fact, Kino's & Hermes' banter during the ED was taken from "In a Place Like This -Preface-", volume 10's afterword.
Dec 2, 2017 4:53 AM

Jun 2016
This is definitely my fave episode of Kino so far. Jesus.

First, that old man and that young adult targetting people and that old man apparently targeted Kino's Master back then, and he immediately had PTSD. Ohmygod. The two of them (Kino's master and her companion) really are monsters, huh? She straight up killed his comrades as a self-defense maybe. Lmao. The old man was the one figuring if the traveller is okay to be their prey. Shizu, Ti, and Riku almost became their prey, but the old man thinks they're capable of fighting. Same with Kino and Hermes. Haha. That young guy called Kino cute. Hihi. Ain't that true, maan? Haha.

That Serious Killer part is so good. Kino and Hermes visited a country with a unique virtue points system (such thing don't exists irl lol), and it's apparently the one thing that can tell if someone's a good person or not (when they have negative points) in their country. How can someone earn points again? When someone witnessed their good deeds? Talk about publicity. Lol. Taylor Swift can do great here and still not behind bars. Pffft. So, they can tell how much someone contributed to the country by looking at their IDs. The fact that when a person has enough points to not get a negative points despite murdering someone fucks me up. And that old man Kino's talking to became the President of their country just to earn points and to kill someone. Jeez. You lived a good life, you earned enough points, but he has this weird fetish of killing someone and he targetted Kino. Lol. Like Kino can let you kill her. Not my Kino, maan. Please get your shit together, old man. You have a very weird ass and fucked up fetish.

Second country Kino and Hermes visited this episode is a Country of Cooking. Original? Meaning this part is not in the previous anime? Anyhoo, this country is wherein when there are travelers they'll ask for them to cook then they'll make it their specialty if it has an impact? Am I wrong here? Haha. Love that country. They'll just accept no matter how horrible the cooking is as long as it has an impact. Obviously, Kino can't cook for shit. Haha. The silliest folks so far. Haha. They're all cute. That country is all about foods. Love it! Can I live there? Lol.

Shizu, Ti, and Riku visited that country and heard Kino's name in the specialty dishes. Lmao. Just a question, so Kino came back to that country and cooked for them again for they introduced another dish featuring Kino's name (Kino's mild fried chicken)? Or someone pretended to be her? Uhhh.

Shizu is still busy looking for a country who accepts immigrants for them to live.

That last country Kino and Hermes visited messed me up so bad. WE'RE ALL KINO HERE, FOLKS! We don't know what happened in that country. We can't remember. We want to know what happiness Kino felt. And it's the country Kino's Master told her about she'll never forget, and yet we can't know and remember because it's one of the rules of that country that once you left their country, you have to drink a drug to forget. Jesus. It hurts. Country of Beautiful Memories, my ass. ;-;

Thanks for fucking me up, show, with that last country. I felt Kino there, maaan. She was smiling in that drawing. GAAAAAAAAAAH! 5/5 for the suffering! ;-;

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Dec 2, 2017 5:02 AM

Aug 2013
An okay episode with a mix of different countries.

I enjoyed the cooking segment and adding the author's afterword in the ED was nice.

Dec 2, 2017 5:02 AM
Jul 2016
Shinraro said:
this is how the novel Illustrated Kino during the bandit's story.

The novel also has an additional line where the elder bandit saying Kino's round eyes are cute. Are you saying the author himself as well as the illustrator misgender Kino?

The novel while usually use gender neutral, tend to refer Kino as a girl whenever the story wants something specific. Kino herself doesn't care much.

Everybody misgenders Kino in this show, that's the point. The correct word here would be misportrayal. And yes, that illustration is not good, she looks way too girly for someone that is supposed to be portrayed as gender-neutral. And i've always heard complaints about the novel's illustrations.

Still, at the very least, the novel had clearly stated that Kino is a girl at that point. Here, that is not clear at all, many viewers don't know/aren't certain whether Kino is a boy or a girl. Unless you treat this as a sequel, which it is not. It's more like a reboot.
MouloxasDec 2, 2017 5:13 AM
Dec 2, 2017 7:05 AM

Nov 2016
TheDoggoneGirl said:

Second country Kino and Hermes visited this episode is a Country of Cooking. Original? Meaning this part is not in the previous anime? Anyhoo, this country is wherein when there are travelers they'll ask for them to cook then they'll make it their specialty if it has an impact? Am I wrong here? Haha. Love that country. They'll just accept no matter how horrible the cooking is as long as it has an impact. Obviously, Kino can't cook for shit. Haha. The silliest folks so far. Haha. They're all cute. That country is all about foods. Love it! Can I live there? Lol.

Shizu, Ti, and Riku visited that country and heard Kino's name in the specialty dishes. Lmao. Just a question, so Kino came back to that country and cooked for them again for they introduced another dish featuring Kino's name (Kino's mild fried chicken)? Or someone pretended to be her? Uhhh.

It was the real wandering chef, notice the yellow jacket draped beside him when he ate KFC.

Mouloxas said:

Everybody misgenders Kino in this show, that's the point. The correct word here would be misportrayal. And yes, that illustration is not good, she looks way too girly for someone that is supposed to be portrayed as gender-neutral. And i've always heard complaints about the novel's illustrations.

Still, at the very least, the novel had clearly stated that Kino is a girl at that point. Here, that is not clear at all, many viewers don't know/aren't certain whether Kino is a boy or a girl. Unless you treat this as a sequel, which it is not. It's more like a reboot.

You're missing the point of that scene and illustration: She looks girly because we're seeing from the young bandit's POV who find Kino cute, she was drawn normally (like how she looks for the rest of 2017 anime) in other illustrations. Just like how Master looks comically evil because we're seeing them from the traumatized elder's POV. Shizu's group looks normal because the bandits doesn't find them anything to note (beside not fitting as target).

That scene was supposed to be kino's gender reveal. It was done casually to reflect how the series treat her gender in general, Kino just doesn't give two shit about her gender.
ShinraroDec 2, 2017 7:09 AM
Dec 2, 2017 7:47 AM
Jul 2016
Shinraro said:
Mouloxas said:

You're missing the point of that scene and illustration: She looks girly because we're seeing from the young bandit's POV who find Kino cute, she was drawn normally (like how she looks for the rest of 2017 anime) in other illustrations. Just like how Master looks comically evil because we're seeing them from the traumatized elder's POV.

Even if that is the case, i don't feel it fits with the overall tone and androgynous theme.

Shinraro said:
That scene was supposed to be kino's gender reveal. It was done casually to reflect how the series treat her gender in general, Kino just doesn't give two shits about her gender.

And it's exactly because Kino doesn't give two shits about her gender, that's exactly the reason why the show must not alter its artstyle or go out of its way to make it super obvious. If they wanted this to be a casual reveal, then only the bandit's statement was enough.

And to give you an example, in the coliseum episode the guards were teasing Kino, calling her a little boy. They could have revealed her gender there. But instead, Kino got angry because they called her little. Perfect example of how to draw attention away from the issue of her gender. Don't outright deny the question, don't care much about it either.
Dec 2, 2017 8:03 AM

Mar 2012
Bunch of random episode, but I like it. I like episodes where Hermes talks a lot, I don't know but his voice is very calming for me.
Dec 2, 2017 8:12 AM

Nov 2012
I never got why fans, be from the first show or this one, took keeping Kino's "secret" of being a girl alive or spoilers for so long. IT like has almost no effect or importance to me.

Kino and Shizuo were quite lucky the old dude was traumatized in the past, no way they had a reaction for that sniper.
Jaywalker.
Dec 2, 2017 12:18 PM

May 2017
The mixture of this episode was really interesting. The first country was really crazy and thought provoking. We only got a small portion of what Shizu and Ti were doing, and then a really cool segment of Kino and the country that she couldn't remember lol. Stuttered very differently from the other episodes, I think it was a good turn.

Mouloxas said:

I didn't see any fanservice. What are you referring to??
demisionDec 2, 2017 12:34 PM
Dec 2, 2017 12:32 PM
Mar 2009
That good-bad deeds country is want to show us that how complex and how good one country system in the world, there is/are no perfect system in the world, there is always hole in the system and there is always as*hole that realized that hole.
FujimiyaDec 2, 2017 12:38 PM
Dec 2, 2017 1:21 PM

Nov 2017
This is my favorite episode in the new series so far, except maybe the first episode...
There's one thing I noticed while watching this episode though. I was thinking back to the original while watching this, how some episodes in the original had Kino go to multiple countries in the same episode similar to this episode (im thinking of the land of prophecies from the original)
The major difference that I noticed was that in this new episode, the countries are just standalone stories, like mini episodes. That's not at all a bad thing, I actually like that approach, but none of the stories are connected (again not a bad thing it's just something I noticed). In the episode from the original I was talking about earlier, all the countries Kino went to in that episode all linked together without the countries even realizing it in a way that I won't go into further detail about since some people haven't seen the original. I know this new episode wasn't going for anything like that but it would have been pretty cool to see that kind of episode format being revisited.

Enough about the original. I do like the episode, and the whole story with the old man and the points system was interesting. I dont understand one thing about that though. He had enough points to kill someone technically, but if he did that then wouldn't everyone hate him and not want him to be president anymore? Also shouldn't there be some crimes that no matter how many points a person has they still end up with negative points to avoid things like murder? I guess that's just how it is in that country, definitely not a place I would settle down in.
Dec 2, 2017 1:46 PM
Jul 2016
demision said:
Mouloxas said:

I didn't see any fanservice. What are you referring to?

The shot where the young bandit observes Kino.

Epicenter said:
I never got why fans, be from the first show or this one, took keeping Kino's "secret" of being a girl alive or spoilers for so long. IT like has almost no effect or importance to me.

Kino and Shizuo were quite lucky the old dude was traumatized in the past, no way they had a reaction for that sniper.

Is that a motherf**king Durarara reference???

On a more serious note, it has nothing to do with IT being a secret. It is revealed once and then it literally doesn't matter, in the sense that it doesn't affect how Kino and others around her behave, their viewpoint of the world. Problem here is that the reveal is done in a distasteful way. Since Kino's gender is irrelevant, they could have done without revealing the "secret" at all. Leaving it ambiguous would have been for the best.
Dec 2, 2017 2:17 PM

Jan 2010

So...the first story was a harmless allegory comparing Kino, Shizu and The Master again, but I forget what else. It's been 9 episodes, but now that Kino's gender is revealed, I finally get a chance to say this:

Tomboys are a miracle of the universe

Lack of subtlety be damned.

Anyways, second story is about a city built around a forum karma system. That's hilarious, but that aside, it's interesting to see that ex-president lament his failure to realize his dream of killing someone treated as a sort of tragedy. I'm not sure if the intent with that last scene was him realizing that he was a messed up person, or if he was telling the baby to not grow up as someone who couldn't live up to his own aspirations. While the point system measures how successful and/or helpful someone is in this society, it may not measure one's own self worth in that regard. As in, while others may view you as a great person, you yourself may not think the same way, which is what the old man may have been trying to get at.

The third story was probably the most anime-esque of all the Kino stories in this adaptation thus far, for lack of a better word. It was really forward with its presentation, and I almost expected some manner of over-exaggeration with regards to visual style and character motions. It somewhat reminds me of some of Ergo Proxy's wacky episodes that felt out of place, but I liked that it involved both Kino and Shizu on the same general path.

The fourth story seemed like one that drew from Buddhist traditions. Not necessarily the hanging of wishes, which reminds me of the bit for Tanabata where people hang papers with written wishes on trees. It also reminds me of Thai temples where you rub gold leaf onto statues for good luck and such. Though, it mostly seemed like a casual aside that went by really fast, quickly commenting on how wishing for things, for Ti, doesn't really do anything. Though, that may have been more of a way to make fun of Shizu's hapless attempt at trying to immigrate into the country.

The fifth story...that was a strange one. I liked the idea that the country prevents conflicts by erasing memories of people who come by, which raises a lot of questions about how they even manage to function in that regard. It's also interesting that all we have to go off of is Hermes' word and the things Kino left to herself to prove that the stay even happened, let alone that it was pleasant. Similar to the Historic Country in one of the previous episodes, it can't be certain as to how the stay actually went since the actual details could have been altered. But, this is the first time in this adaptation that Kino truly reacted to something earnestly, and it...it was strange. She seemed...uncharacteristic of herself I guess? I suppose it was supposed to be a silly moment that lends to how Kino wants to experience the world, and thus losing memories of a place she had been to is very problematic, but the whole scene with her panicking and doing the comedic yell into a camera pan moving to the sky bit isn't really something that works for this kind of show. It...just feels off.

In all, these short stories seemed mostly for fun. They can be dug into a bit, but as is, they're nice to get more looks into different places in the show's world. Also, that afterward by Keiichi Sigsawa was really nice. If anything, it may have been led into by the previous short about Ti's wish, where, in fact, Sigsawa's wish actually came true where he's had two TV adaptations of Kino's Journey, in addition to the short film by Shaft. By all intents and purposes, this is a novel that's disconnected in themes, stories, and characters, so having an anime adaptation is almost a miracle in and of itself. No matter what qualms I may have about how this season has been conducting itself, at the end of the day, it's still really cool to see more Kino.

Also, we're getting the Kind Country next? Wow. Without spoilers, this probably the reason why having Aoi Yuuki voice Kino was a perfect casting choice.
Dec 2, 2017 2:33 PM

Feb 2013
Wow, Kino was actually in Kono's Journey.
But, 5 segments was a bit much.
Dec 2, 2017 2:38 PM
Jul 2016
Shocked said:
Also, we're getting the Kind Country next? Wow. Without spoilers, this probably the reason why having Aoi Yuuki voice Kino was a perfect casting choice.

Do we know
Dec 2, 2017 2:43 PM

Jan 2010
Mouloxas said:
Shocked said:

Do we know

I haven't heard anything yet, so I suppose that'll be a surprise.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2017

137 by milou1050 »»
Apr 14, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

255 by the_v1gor »»
Apr 13, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2017

103 by XpldFrFantasyLnd »»
Apr 6, 11:51 AM

» video game....

Videogamecoper - Dec 14, 2023

3 by ralfisagreatguy »»
Apr 3, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

133 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Mar 11, 12:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.