Forum Settings
Forums
The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 1, 2018 4:08 AM

May 2012
While certainly very original and interesting in terms of art style and development, this kind of anime just like the character's TV series is really not fit for me personally.
I just can't seem to get to like this kind of anime with such a setting for some reason.

Still in general it was a pretty good movie.
Nov 3, 2018 8:05 PM

Apr 2013
Luckily, the version i ordered on Amazon did indeed have english subtitles. Senpai is endearing, but not as much as Watashi. Otome gets much more focus than Akashi, though I suppose that was the entire point of Tatami Galaxy. I felt that the romance was like fate; predetermined; no matter what, Otome was going to end up with Senpai. I was disappointed when I was right, but happy that the dialogue in his imagination was beautifully nuanced and realistic - but it also feels like an essay rather than character and thematic exploration.

Of course, nothing is going to happen "by chance", and "coincidence" doesn't tie you deeply enough to somebody. You have to wind the threads of fate yourself; you have to act. But Senpai doesn't act. Otome does it for him. He just has to say the words.

Something I really love about this film is the motifs; the ones it reuses, expands on or repurposes from Tatami Galaxy. Time was the best one. Otome is moving forward at such a speed that no one can catch up to her. The old men's time flies by, while Otome can feel every second.

So much substance in such a superfluous film.

Every scene packs comedy, unique and eye-catching animation, and themes or information about characters into it.

It's similar to Tatami Galaxy with a different focus. In Tatami Galaxy, Watashi is isolated and alone (identified by his namesake, "I", and no one else), while Senpai is inherently connected. It's like everyone is connected to each other in Tatami Galaxy, but Watashi can't make any connections beside Ozu - the devil incarnate. As it turns out, Ozu is connected to everyone, and he actively makes more and more connections, making the most of his campus life - unlike Watashi, who becomes a complete hermit in a 4.5 Tatami room.

Meanwhile, the only thing Senpai is doing is hanging as tightly as possible to the thin thread that connects him and Otome - their senpai-kouhai relationship. Everything is connected. Connection is the key to adulthood.

It's all the same as Tatami Galaxy. Just with a narrower focus.

The boon is it's not nearly as dragged out.
Jan 20, 2019 11:08 PM

May 2015
This movie was breathtaking. Yuasa did it again. I loved everything about this movie. There was no shock factor in this movie, it was an artwork masterpiece. 9/10
Mar 13, 2019 4:15 AM
Nov 2016
This is an example of the sensible and yet utterly chaotic story telling that only Yuasa can pull off. There's little coherence and elements of fantasy invade what is seemingly a story rooted in realism, this feels like the drug laced adaptation of a Murakami novel.

It was thoroughly enjoyable, I think I'll be watching Tatami Galaxy now.
May 30, 2019 8:51 PM
Jul 2018
Around 01:23:53 there is clearly a reference of JOJOOOOOO!!! lulz
Jun 12, 2019 12:54 AM

Dec 2015
Great movie (rythm, visuals inventiveness, animation, jokes...) ! At first, I was not sold to the drinking night concept but as it turned out like a "road-movie" I was caught in it.

Except the moment where the hero facing his truths just discard them with no reason, and the heroin randomly decides to pick up an interest into something she had no inclination for.
But the overall package was so good that I can't focus on that. ANd after all, the simple idea that emerged, to simply act with no consideration for the causes and consequences, could be seen as "positive"... in other, very rare, contexts.
Plus, I learned that after 30years in anime, I had become a character (thoughts-wise)...

Enjoyment: 4/5
Score: 8/10

But, seriously...

@CodeBlazeFate I read your review, so I would like to ask you what good/what message you saw in the fact the story decides to go with the couple making for the heroes?

@CondemneDio Interesting hypothesis. I never drank a single drop of alcohol and found little "joy" in this film indeed.

December 26, 2019
@Rav_ "garbage animation" o_O Even CondemneDio didn't "condemn" the (competent) animation of this film...
"compared to nowadays" ?? To nowadays what, films? It's pretty decent among its peers.

March 30, 2020
@Avenger-senpai What kind of mystery could this simple romcom haveused ?
Rei_IIIMar 30, 2020 1:42 PM
Jun 12, 2019 6:34 AM

Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
Great movie (rythm, visuals inventiveness, animation, jokes...) ! At first, I was not sold to the drinking night concept but as it turned out like a "road-movie" I was caught in it.

Except the moment where the hero facing his truths just discard them with no reason, and the heroin randomly decides to pick up an interest into something she had no inclination for.
But the overall package was so good that I can't focus on that. ANd after all, the simple idea that emerged, to simply act with no consideration for the causes and consequences, could be seen as "positive"... in other, very rare, contexts.
Plus, I learned that after 30years in anime, I had become a character (thoughts-wise)...

Enjoyment: 4/5
Score: 8/10

But, seriously...

@CodeBlazeFate I read your review, so I would like to ask you what good/what message you saw in the fact the story decides to go with the couple making for the heroes?
I just feel that was a fun way to thematically tie everything together while making the main guy confront these issues. It’s as fun and spontaneous as the rest of the film.
Jun 17, 2019 8:15 PM

Jul 2014
This was a lot of fun to watch. I'm interested in seeing other Yuasa movies/anime.
Dec 13, 2019 6:45 PM

Aug 2017
I think that this movie was supposed to be a 4 or more episode series that was shrunk down to fit a movie's time limitation.

As a fanboy of Tatami Galaxy, its not a masterpiece and they did what they could. The romance aspect was quite good and I could enjoy several references from Tatami Galaxy in this movie.

NurguburuFeb 4, 2021 5:25 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 20, 2019 12:14 AM

Nov 2019
I loved this and I'd give this anime movie a solid 9/10 the romance aspect was a lil weak but the story, animation, dialogue, characters and comedy in this anime movie make my score a strong 9.
TyDrianDec 20, 2019 12:17 AM
Dec 20, 2019 4:22 AM

Jan 2013
Didn't like the art style at all; at best it was mediocre, and at its worst it was infernally ugly. Animations were good at some points though. I could've forgiven the art if the movie had anything interesting to say. As it is, it's like a slideshow of drunkards: it may be funny for a minute, but after that it just becomes boring and in the end it's pathetic and sad.

I guess someone who enjoys alcohol could find some joy in this movie.

The musical pieces were pretty cringe tbh.

Btw, that "cat punch" is a surefire way to break your own thumb if you actually punch someone hard. Bad idea, people.
Dec 23, 2019 11:40 PM
Aug 2014
CondemneDio said:
Didn't like the art style at all; at best it was mediocre, and at its worst it was infernally ugly. Animations were good at some points though. I could've forgiven the art if the movie had anything interesting to say. As it is, it's like a slideshow of drunkards: it may be funny for a minute, but after that it just becomes boring and in the end it's pathetic and sad.

It is reallly depend on taste. If u use nowadays anime as standard, Yoru ha mijikashi absolutely has garbage animation. If u try to be positive then it won't be such a hassle to accept this style. But, i can't imagine Yuasa using "standard" style of anime for his works, the absurdity is unbearable and this animation style suits his works better imo.

CondemneDio said:

The musical pieces were pretty cringe tbh.
indeed, but it was pretty amusing at least for me

CondemneDio said:

Btw, that "cat punch" is a surefire way to break your own thumb if you actually punch someone hard. Bad idea, people.

that's the purpose, if u hit someone too hard then it will reflect to you. IRL, you might encounter problem with other people, and "cat punch" represent naive idea such " i reprimand you for your misdeed but i can't be so hard on you because i don't want our bond severe, i don't want you to hate me, i do this for your sake" .
Rav_Dec 23, 2019 11:50 PM
Mar 8, 2020 5:39 PM

Apr 2016
It’s a good movie, the ending part is the best one. The musical moments were pretty good and funny at some parts. Moreover, it was good to see the characters of The Tatami Galaxy again.
Mar 30, 2020 1:20 PM

Mar 2012
That was a chore to watch. Didn't like Senpai's voice actor and, as much as I like Kazuya Nakai's voice acting, it felt really off hearing someone else voice Higuchi. Not sure why they couldn't get the same VA he had in The Tatami Galaxy.

Didn't care about the characters, even Higuchi and Hanuki didn't seem that interesting in this. Same with the story, just couldn't get invested in it. The comedy was also too corny for me.

This may have had the same art style and some characters from The Tatami Galaxy but it completely lacked the mystery and charm which made TTG so enjoyable.
May 9, 2020 8:05 PM

Jan 2014
i don't understand the lukewarm reception compared to the raving posts for Tatami Galaxy... this movie is so much better!! I loved it so much, it was a beautiful drunken wild ride and i couldn't stop smiling. it kept the best parts of TG (the animation, some fun characters, the wacky style), SPED IT UP, and changed the focus from the annoying male character to the much more interesting female love interest. 10/10 for me!!

currently in quarantine and this really makes me miss going out for drinks with friends ;-;
May 14, 2020 9:47 AM

Nov 2019
This is Yuasa's third work I am seeing, and it's... all over the place. Sometimes chaotic and random fun is welcome, but this movie fails to utilize it, because it has too many subplots and does not know how to execute any one of them well.

Guess the Bohemian Rhapsody reference was funny. Humour is a subjective thing, though I admit I found the comedy lacks taste here. The different paces of the clocks was an intelligent thing, and there are actually some themes I liked. Art style was similar to Tatami Galaxy, but not as flamboyant. The romance aspects felt stale and the story feels vapid, even though it is adapted. Kanahana saves the show from boredom partly by her occasional special touch. Characters were colourful and one would feel slightly interested in their individual stories.

I have to say those who prefer style over substance might enjoy the film more. I'll still give it quite a high score (7/10) for the overall pedigree of the show.
Laplace_kunMay 14, 2020 9:52 AM
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 27, 2020 8:50 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Its such a weird listening HanaKana angel voice on some weird show like these. I mean, yeah, i believe i am new into the world of anime. However, i dont mean it to seeing something like this in the first place. As a title got its shape, The night world really give you something different in so much side of view point. Yet, its give you a wonderful moment through every events happen at your entire life. Its shine, in the middle of a blank space, make everything weird and think that the time just gonna fly away like a flash light. However, in actual manner, you could only feel a happy smile from all people that believes such a beautiful night. Enjoy that shit, and you will gone deep into the magic of the forever world of night.

An okay storyline. Following every random events that appear on that forever long-ass night time. Requiring every part to the weird couple with no development beforehand to met such a coincidence fates. Is that true? No matter what happen, only joy fixate all the weird shit. Its make me believe that the end must be the right conclusion to overcome all my guilty for this show. The only thing that satisfied me well was of course, fall down only by the girls with Hana sounds. Interesting, as always, thanks to her great contribution.

I can't give a proper review since this show really weird that i even have a word to tell my opinion. The story just a random events of the wonderful world of night. Making all shit kinda realistic to you, while everything cleary just another halucination. Thats what happen to the girl and her senpai. Make those love bird believe a coincidence can bring such a fate. To me its just a strange development, and never satisfied me in the first place. Idk where is the romantic part to them. Since the only romance appear just in the end with the drama runaway events in the festival, and last moment when senpai actually give the book to the girls. Only there, nothing last forever, the day comes back normal, and they suddenly be a couple. Such a vulgar and massive way to end show like that.

Well, i think i just dont like the typical show like these. Make me believe that this show can bring me more to halucination, rather bring more joy to the events. If you like to go high yourself to rocketing the sky, this show really suit me. But to me, overall this show only come to me by 6 or in a good mood i can bring a 7 at the max. Except the fact that HanaKana controlling all of the show alone, her antique sounds, and such a cute expression of the sounds of her, make me believe that this show gradually adding more score. Thanks to the studio, choosing her good sounds and action make the whole show even better.

Finally, my conclusion got crystal. a 8/10 shall be good to show my endless support to HanaKana. Yet, its the late fate i came here to give the comment, and make myself into a kind person. If only the girl just got a real drunk in the beginning and become a bitch. My 10 must be great to put in this show. Imagine listening drunk Hana, damn, i can't stand with it!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Aug 15, 2020 12:27 PM

Jun 2013
I quite liked it!
Just like with Tatami Galaxy, it really sold itself to me in the last quarter or so.
Also, I don't know if its just me, but was this the least HanaKana HanaKana performance imaginable? Honestly, I didn't realise it was her towards the end, she was amazing!
Nov 24, 2020 11:25 PM

Jun 2020
I liked it but it wasn't "super good" in my opinion, 7/10 in my books. Loved the voice acting and surreal animation but the storyline was a bit too convoluted for me.
Jan 12, 2021 10:09 PM
Mar 2015
They finally met after he went through a night of hell
Jan 17, 2021 9:40 AM

May 2010
This was really fun. I love when anime really uses the medium to the best of its ability. This director can be hit or miss. The Japan Earthquake series for example was terrible. But this was definitely a hit!

Also had no idea this was related to Tatami Galaxy which is on my plan to watch list lol. Gonna try watching that soon.
Jul 27, 2021 2:46 AM
Jul 2018
This movie feels like taking Tatami Galaxy and making it even better. Pacing was so fast it was such a fun ride. Nice to see the characters from Tatami back in this. The colors of this movie was like the most eye popping thing I have ever seen with extremely expressive animation thanks to the simple character designs and those exotic drinks during the first quarter of the movie. The few problems that I had would be the voice of the senpai which felt too old for him. Some of the songs during the play was kinda cringe and the Eccentric King play in itself was probably the weakest part out of the four parts. Also, the ending wasn't an amazing ending, I would have preferred seeing a little bit more of their date. Some of the music choices were out of place, and this could have improved way more. The ending song was excellent but I really wished they could have used it little bit earlier while ending with the credits instead of just using the song entirely for the credits. Also, this was easily Kana Hanazawa's best performance from the ones that I have heard so far. Anyway, it felt like Yuasa going all out in this project. I just wish we can see something from Yuasa of this level cuz his recent works have kinda been weak.
9/10
Aug 11, 2021 12:59 PM

May 2018
Now that was quite the experience. I want to take whatever drugs were used when producing this movie ;)

6/10
Aug 17, 2021 3:11 AM

Jul 2020
Whew, that was a good 1 hour and 30 minutes of my life. Definitely one of the most enjoyable anime movies I have ever witnessed. Thank you, Yuasa!

I accept random friend requests!
Feb 16, 2022 10:26 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Actually I didn't like it much compared to Tatami Galaxy's story, this one felt too basic with just additions of supernatural elements and trippy visuals but it didn't really develop it or made it interesting just like in Tatami Galaxy with its story and philosophy, still liked the art style of course but it's more like a 5/10 movie for me
Mar 21, 2022 2:15 AM

Aug 2012
There was a time when I planned to watch this ahead of The Tatami Galaxy, as this was the Yuasa work I was most interested in, sans maybe Kaiba. I am so, so glad that I listened to the advice of my friend and watched Tatami Galaxy first. Seeing Higuchi and Hanuki again, and picking up on all these references was constant sense of joy throughout. I suppose since not everyone has seen The Tatami Galaxy I shouldn't list them but there is one I'll spoiler tag because it was the only one I didn't like.

When compared to the The Tatami Galaxy, I do fall in the camp that prefers The Tatami Galaxy, in just about every way to be honest. But that doesn't mean I disliked my time with The Night is Short, this movie, particularly the first 3/4ths of it were an absolutely blast.

I love the art-style and animation that manages to capture a Disney-like sense of wonderment while maintaining a distinct style all it's own. While the movie did certainly feel like a collection of four separate stories stitched together, and apparently it was as I read in the original novel these stories didn't take place in one night, but I really appreciated the level of interconnectivity between the tales. My favourite example being the opening mentioned that some men have even fallen for the director coming back into play in the resolution of the Don Underwear School Festival story. That segment was easily my favourite of the film, just over-the-top crazy fun.

The final story is a bit weaker for me. Perhaps because the movie slowed down considerably, with the craziness being mostly contained to Senpai's dream of Otome trying to reach him, a segment that admittedly didn't do much for me. There's still some great moments here though, the stuff with Higuchi was fun, I thought sickness was a great way to convey our connections, and the actual end of the movie with both Otome & Senpai having the same question for each-other being their experience on said night was a genuinely sweet ending. 8/10.
Jun 26, 2022 12:24 AM

Jan 2020
This art is something. I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle it the whole way through the movie, but, at least there is the promise of nudity. So, I guess we'll see what happens -*- In the end, there really wasn't any. So I feel a bit cheated there.

So far, it just seems like its glorifying drinking. I mean, I haven't drank in awhile but watching this makes me wanna drink. The beer and liquor in this looked mighty delicious. But, I don't feel like there is any plot. This could be one long commercial for alcohol. 20 minutes in, I have no idea how this has such a high score.

There is a very loose connection between everything, and I think that this lacks a concrete foundation, at least to me. So I'm not really invested, or moved by anything that is happening. I could care less about any of these characters or events. It's just sort of watching chaos unfold, but none of it is particularly enjoyable.

I think I would've liked this more if there had been a clear goal. Rather than it just being about a wild night out. I mean, I guess you could argue that the main story is the relationship between the Senpai and main girl. But, the guy was so annoying I really couldn't get behind him. And it didn't even seem like the girl wanted to be in a relationship. So having them even come together at the end is somewhat weird and arguably forced.

It's kind of a shame too because the ending credits is Asian Kung-Fu Generation, which is a great band. And, as hard as the movie tried, there just isn't anything positive I have to say about it. I guess it just wasn't for me.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 18, 2022 6:22 PM
Jul 2018
This is so bad, so so so bad that I even reduced my rating for Tatami Galaxy. Dear lord, I felt like I was watching a mixture of Pulp Fiction and Paprika with all that alcohol and normie humour... it's bizarre. Freudian, I'd say.
removed-userJul 18, 2022 6:32 PM
Jul 28, 2022 8:40 PM

Feb 2008
Avenger-senpai said:
That was a chore to watch. Didn't like Senpai's voice actor and, as much as I like Kazuya Nakai's voice acting, it felt really off hearing someone else voice Higuchi. Not sure why they couldn't get the same VA he had in The Tatami Galaxy.

Keiji Fujiwara was on hiatus during that year.

Just finished watching the movie to get ready for the Tatami sequel, it was a good ass movie. I seriously do not understand how are people picking up Yuasa things if they already know what the artstyle is going to be. It's frenetic, unusual and out of reason. You need to come prepared.

While it's true that it isn't as good as Tatami, the movie does a good job considering it only happened in one night. All the characters made me feel nostalgic since it's the spiritual sequel of Tatami and not hearing Fujikei as the bigchin guy almost made me cry. Nakai-san does a hella good job either way. The plot caught me instantly and having the girl as the main protagonist was actually a pleasant surprise, Hanakana speaking fast is kind of new to me. My favorite part was the Monte Cristo act and obviously the ending. Glad they ended it there, because nothing is as boring to tell as a successful love story of one night. (sic)

The ED is fucking amazing. I'm currently on a lovelive addiction so listening to Ajikan is a nice wind of change.

8/10, needed more Ozu.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Sep 25, 2022 1:56 PM
Nov 2021
WHAT A MOVIE !!! SERIOUSLY MAN, WHAT_A_MOVIE !!!

A MOVIE WHICH IS FULL OF POSITIVITY !!!!

AND AT THE END HOW THE MOVIE HAS FEATURED "OVERTHINKING"..... I LITERALLY FEARED OUT LIKE : "DAMN !!! IS THAT HOW IT LOOKS INSIDE MY BRAIN WHEN I DO OVERTHINKING?... I REALLY WILL NEVER OVERTHINK AGAIN !!! "

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED MOVIE IF YOU WATCH SOME RANDOM ANIME AND STARTS TO BEING SAD BY MERGING THE SORROW WITH YOUR LIFE. OR FOR THOSE WHO ARE SUFFERING BECAUSE OF THEIR OWN SHIT AND NEED SOME *POSITIVE BOOST* IN YOUR LIFE.

I REPEAT_ "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED MOVIE!!!"
Oct 8, 2022 10:22 AM
Apr 2020
beautiful animation and vast story
Oct 26, 2022 11:22 PM
May 2020
Wow I'm glad that I watched all of the Tatami Galaxy before watching this not that it is a sequel
but I think it helps to be familiar with the characters before watching. 10/10
Nov 26, 2022 4:27 AM

Oct 2021
Live me satisfied, 9/10
Nov 26, 2022 4:57 PM

Aug 2020
Creativity at its highest levels. Very enjoyable movie overall; characters dynamics, story, sound.

I prefer the original series, but this was just nice.

Aug 6, 2023 7:53 PM
Jul 2017
richard williams levels of "this is what animation is meant to be"
Apr 8, 4:46 PM

Mar 2024
Wow, doesn't get any more Japanese than that. what a ride
Yesterday, 4:07 PM

May 2021
Thats a whole lot of alcohol
Senpai having a different VA isn’t as good as the original
Not as good as tatami galaxy but not a bad spinoff and it still has the amazing direction and style
Was laughing so hard at the crossdressing reveal and the fake gay romance
Karva1Yesterday, 5:01 PM
Inhales oxygen
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What's the difference between the film and the anime?

seawolfseawolf - Aug 2, 2021

5 by mydaddy »»
Apr 14, 9:26 PM

» Does anyone know why this anime is rated R -+, what scenes does it contain?

OkabeRintarou12 - Jan 13, 2023

3 by OkabeRintarou12 »»
Feb 23, 2023 10:32 AM

» Did anyone in the US go see it at a theater?

deathbyglitter - Aug 21, 2018

5 by L-S-M-F-T »»
Aug 7, 2022 2:26 AM

» Is there a way to watch this online?

Crzy_Minus - Dec 22, 2018

3 by Vesnesc »»
May 13, 2021 9:04 AM

» Available now on Crunchyroll DE

JohanJ04 - Apr 30, 2021

0 by JohanJ04 »»
Apr 30, 2021 2:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.