Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 2, 2017 11:05 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Interview #108 - @SuperRed ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SuperRed

This interview was conducted while AD is being swarmed with shitpost threads. Kind of fitting, in a weird way. As an aside, my personal favorite one was where the guy asked about characters that looked like lettuce.

Interview conducted by: @Manaban

Could you tell us about yourself?

What is up people, my name is Gabriel. I am a young male who was born on the Caribbean island of Puerto Rico on July 11, 1992 and has lived there ever since, making me 25 years old at the time of this interview. I would describe myself as being quiet, introverted, logical, cynical, non-aggressive (most of the time), a bit of a jokester, and I tend to ponder a lot about different stuff when I have nothing to do. I've been diagnosed with a mild form of autism ever since I was young, and I had to go to special programs in schools to help alleviate some of its symptoms. I would say it helped a bit, since I'm not nearly as anti-social as I was many years ago and I can socialize more now, but not by much. I currently study in the public university system (which can a total mess sometimes btw), of which I took a leave for a while because of emotional issues but I am back in it now, I'm still not sure what kind of career I want to make a living off honestly. My family is very supportive and I can say I'm lucky to have them. That's about it I guess.

How did you choose your username?

Eh, it's pretty simple. I chose my favorite color plus the first adjective that I thought of.

Could you give us a brief history of your time on MAL?

I joined MyAnimeList about 5 years ago because it was the most notable website used for cataloging anime/manga related stuff, so it was very appealing to me being the otaku that I am. I didn't post in the forums right after joining, was mostly chatting with a few users here and there, before I eventually started posting in the forums. My favorite threads were the ones dedicated to discussing the Big 3 and the short lived Anime Thought of the Day Thread. It was mostly fun, even though guys like Mikasa, Tsudecimo and JD2411 liked to spend lots of time baiting, especially when it came to One Piece, and it got really heated sometimes. Then the ATOTD thread got locked, Big 3 thread had less and less activity and I was mostly spending my time in Ckan's Overrated and Underrated Club chatting about random stuff with the club members. Nowadays, I mostly just spend my time there or posting in AD. I don't even bother going to CE or CD anymore, because it's almost always one cringe or stupid topic after another, not that AD is good mind you (especially when certain people make threads) but it's miles better than reading some bullshit about Donald Trump every single day or a dumb MAL user whining about how he doesn't get laid and girls don't like him. Plus at least in AD you occasionally get an interesting discussion that actually goes somewhere.

Any users you like/dislike? Why?

Heh heh heh, it's the juicy part we all come to these interviews for, let's go!

Users I like:

@Snappynator probably the guy I have most chatted with here on MAL, we actually have pretty similar tastes and we tend to enjoy what we recommend and discuss with each other, it was really fun talking to him about many different series like Grisaia, Ever17, Umineko, Majikoi, Gintama, Gurren Lagann, Fate, etc, and most importantly One Piece thanks to him finally bending to my will and reading the damn thing. I even got The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne because of his recommendations, and they were well worth the money spent. A pretty cool guy, only bad thing is that he needs better taste in waifus right @Frostbytes?

@Kaimon faithful servant of God Usopp and like me a devoted follower of the One Piece way of life, a real fun guy to talk to.

@Illyricus my favorite baiter and fellow Type-Moon fan, we both share the same joy in our hearts when there is salt overflowing in the forums. Plus he's also a Spanish speaker like me so it's nice to have someone I talk with in my native language.

@Jal90 probably the most civilized and rational poster in the forums, he has very rarely written things that I disagree with, and that's because he makes sure not to make generalizations or be ignorant about stuff he's talking about.

@Pullman Best poster in AD, from detailed knowledge of anime and other media to knowing how to express himself well and clear.

@Shocked a good mod in my eyes, also used to make some interesting posts when he was a regular member, his blogs are very well written, and even when I personally disagree I can see his point.

@Darek Idk really, just a good guy in general, many of his thoughts regarding the state of quality in AD resonate with me and seem like stuff I would say.

@EcchiKingMamster yo, I gotta give props for how dedicated you are to defending your ecchi, even if you're trying way too hard sometimes and end up saying some bs lol.

@Wasshio my fellow islander on MAL, is a nice person to talk to and usually has great profile pics.

@Solos pretty nice guy with similar tastes, too bad he rarely logs in anymore.

@You fellow VN enthusiast and has some unique taste, makes some interesting threads sometimes and some funny baits.

@Kuma seems very knowledgeable when it comes to his posts about the anime/manga industry, especially about manga related topics and Eastern culture.

@romagia for being the funniest shitposter on AD with lots of funny one sentence posts or copypastas.

@CodeBlazeFate writes some hilariously loud and epic rant reviews about bad anime, his Hand Shakers review is some top tier stuff.

Special mention to the regulars of O/U club that I didn't tag here, you guys are cool.

Users I don't like:

Nyu, he is a walking far-right meme, nuff said.

Tsudecimo, aka hypocrisy incarnate, complains about how much he hates the toxicity of the forums yet he has done the same thing by blatantly hating individuals and even made a few alt accounts to hide it. He doesn't seem to come here much anymore so I dunno if he mellowed out.

TheBrainInTheJar, Idk how can you even pretend to be an intellectual when people constantly gives you answers to extremely simple questions multiple times, and you pretend they don't say anything because you personally don't agree with the other opinion. If you guys think I'm kidding I can link to you some of his conversations with TripleSRank I have read before. Let's not even talk about that time where he basically said suicide prevention is comparable to fucking rape, of all things.

Red_Keys, this guy doesn't even seem like he likes anything, if I had to be honest almost everything he says gives the feeling of "why are you even here." I literally cannot recall a single post by him that is remotely positive in tone or isn't him criticizing anime for stuff he doesn't like about it. Maybe that's part of a persona he likes to show, if so, it's pretty annoying and repetitive. His posts in the news subforum are very predictable and shallow especially.

JimmyKudo3000, He tried so hard at being an anti-elitist that he ended up becoming an elitist himself, lol.

How did you get into anime/manga?

I grew up watching cartoons and anime on TV at home. I was into popular stuff like DBZ, Pokemon and Yugioh like most kids my age. I also watched Toonami on Cartoon Network a lot, which aired shows like DBZ, Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, One Piece (with the infamously bad 4Kids Dub at the time). Basically the mainstream stuff. It wasn't until I watched Death Note online in high school that I actively began to seek out new anime to watch. I started watching the Big 3 seriously around the time, with Bleach being the first one I marathoned until I caught up, Naruto being second, and One Piece being the last one which eventually became my favorite at the time. It was at this point where I got into manga as well. When I joined MAL,I began to expand my horizons and decided to branch off into other genres or demographics.

What other hobbies do you have outside of anime/manga and MAL?

I have been very into video games since I was young, (currently my PS4 is my main console of choice) and I like to get hooked on long stories with lots of content like Witcher 3 or Persona 5, or series with great action like Devil May Cry or Bloodborne. I occasionally play some old Yugioh games on my PC where I usually come up with deck ideas and try to make them work. I also got into the visual novel genre back in early 2015, and have been a fan of them ever since. I read a bit of them on most days - they're good for interesting stories with different endings, despite the pacing issues with some of them. Apart from that, I also like to spend time on YouTube watching abridged series like LittleKuriboh's or TeamFourStar's works. I watch big anime youtubers like Gigguk, GlassReflection, Chibi, etc. and a few others mostly for their humor and opinions on certain anime topics. And finally, being a big One Piece fan, I like to regularly read new theories and predictions from the community to where the story is going. Suffice to say, it's rare that I get bored.

How do you feel about how the site is run? Especially in regards to the moderators and admins.

Overall, I'd say that they do a decent job at their work, though there needs to be more measures taken to prevent spam threads from being made, the upvoting or downvoting accounts problem also needs to be dealt with more efficiently.

What do you think your reputation on MAL is?

About average, I think? I don't think I have a particularly notable presence in the forums compared to others, both in a positive or negative sense. I don't write long detailed responses to topics like others do, and I usually make my threads based whatever I'm feeling at the moment, some are serious to provoke discussions and others are meant for fun. The people I regularly with on my profile and the club I hang out on probably know me better.

Not having idea of what kind of career you plan on seeking out, is there any sort of options you're currently weighing for your future prospects?

I'm considering becoming the King of the Pirates an office worker or something tranquil that doesn't generate too much stress. I like to fantasize becoming a writer but I'm not sure if I'm creative enough for the field.

You've been around MAL for a decent while now, and you must've seen it evolve somewhat with time. Has your perception of it changed any? How does the MAL of now compare to the one from when you first joined?

This is probably my nostalgia factoring in, but I feel like it's become worse than when I joined. Almost every day, someone makes a thread and says something that defies any sort of logic, or is being incredibly ignorant about the topic. That, and the notable increase in users with very toxic opinions since 2016, regarding politics, race, sex etc. has not helped one bit. A few good users like Zergneedsfood and some others don't post anymore, and others who liked to troll like Solvite or Immahnoob are either banned or don't post regularly anymore.

With the recent hurricane severely impacting your homeland of Puerto Rico, how have you handled that? What have you done to avoid the storm's damage?

There was literally nothing that could be done to avoid what the storm was going to do, besides preparing our homes for damage. It ravaged the entire island and left all of it without electricity and running water for the first few days. The whole agricultural industry is basically destroyed, a ton of businesses couldn't open, thousands became homeless, classes got cancelled, etc. The whole first week was complete shit for me, no electricity or water except for a few hours thanks to a power plant our neighbors shared with us, and only for half of the house, I had to sleep without AC on nights, and the nights were hot and uncomfortable most of the time. I had to take baths on other relative's homes. Then after over a week, my dad's place got the power back for a while, and I could sleep and manage comfortably again until the local power grid started failing and it was back to the same old shit for like 2 weeks, 2 damn weeks I spent mostly outside eating, drinking and using internet from local businesses until night-time. We recently got the power back here again, and I'm really hoping this is the last time I ever have to go through this BS again. Now I'm waiting for classes to start in a few days and get this terrible year behind me.

Alright, time to get into the AD Balkanization politics a bit - out of all of the various fanbases on this site, which one would you think is the best? What about the worst?

I don't really think in terms of "good fanbase" or "bad fanbase," because everything has its good fans, crazy fans, obnoxious fans, and stupid fans - to use Hunter x Hunter as example, I really like the show and I'm cool with most of the fanbase, but I have seen people who are really obnoxious (coughMikasacough) and like to trash on other action shonens for simply being more traditional in their writing. My favorite fanbases are the ones that have mostly a chill attitude and like to make jokes and memes for fun like JoJo for example.

Ah, this is the third interview I've had in a row with a Yugioh player, so I might as well ask this time around. What kind of deck(s) do you use? Since you mostly play old games on your PC, which ones do you play specifically?

I mostly spend my time on an emulation of Yu-Gi-Oh World Championship 2011 (I'm way, waaay behind on the TCG irl), it's something I play very casually. I have run decks dedicated to the 3 Egyptian God Cards, Exodia, Deck Destruction, Fire, Water, etc. sometimes I even try a very gimmicky deck idea like an all Spell/Trap Card Deck just for kinks. My favorite one would be the Six Samurai deck cause it has massive rush and search power.

Given you seem to watch a decent amount of anime YTers, which one would you consider the best and why? In the same vein, who would you consider the worst and why?

Best: SuperEyepatchWolf for well-written recommendation videos and certain topics, Gigguk for comedy and general anime stuff, ChibiReviews for casual reactions to seasonal anime episodes. Honorable mentions: Digibro, TheAnimeMan. GlassReflection. Sawyer7Mage for his One Piece videos.

Worst: ThatAnimeSnob, I don't feel the need to explain this one. Double4Anime because every single one of his videos has a clickbait title and he overreacts to everything negative towards stuff he likes in a cringe manner. Mother's Basement for milking the SAO hate to a ridiculous degree and other nonsensical stuff.

As a regular user on the forum, how do you feel about 'shitposting threads' or 'bait threads' in general?
by @_Ako_

Meh, almost every topic has been overdone to the point where no one actually cares at this point. Literally the only fun part is watching people dismantle the OP's ignorance and making him/her mad.

Anything shameless self-promotions you'd like to toss out?

If anyone wants to join and post in the O/U club, feel free to do.

Is there something unasked you would like to talk about?

Not in particular.

Any feedback on the interview format?

It was a really nice experience, thanks for Manaban for taking the time to interview me.

Can you recommend us 3 members who we can choose from to interview next and briefly explain why you would love to read their interviews?

@Illyricus and @Snappynator for the stuff I wrote about earlier in the interview

@Frostbytes, is an interesting person to chat with and likes a lot of different stuff.

End of Interview. Thank you for your time, @SuperRed.
ManabanNov 2, 2017 11:09 AM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 2, 2017 11:08 AM

Feb 2015
@Manaban

I think it would at least be better if you do it like this:

As a regular user on the forum, how do you feel about 'shitposting threads' or 'bait threads' in general?
by @_Ako_

Nov 2, 2017 11:10 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
_Ako_ said:
@Manaban

by @_Ako_

If that's how you'd like it, then yeah, I see no problem. I kind of like the bolded beside the question more because it draws more attention to the fact that this was a question asked outside of the ones I came up with, but ultimately it matters little.

But next time you should probably tell me that when I mention you in the test club until waiting after the interview is published xD Maybe in the future, for others who can't access that club, I'll just ask when they send me the question how they'd like their name to appear, if at all.

Nov 2, 2017 11:13 AM

Feb 2015
Manaban said:
_Ako_ said:
@Manaban

by @_Ako_

If that's how you'd like it, then yeah, I see no problem. I kind of like the bolded beside the question more because it draws more attention to the fact that this was a question asked outside of the ones I came up with, but ultimately it matters little.

But next time you should probably tell me that when I mention you in the test club until waiting after the interview is published xD Maybe in the future, for others who can't access that club, I'll just ask when they send me the question how they'd like their name to appear, if at all.

I prefer my username to be ignore to be honest... It works well especially I've only asked one question. Wait... Tis is the test club right?

Nov 2, 2017 11:33 AM

Jul 2013
Many thanks for the shout out, SuperRed, si nice to see someone here gives a shit about a nobody like me xD
I'm happy to see you are okay and nothing has happened to you respecting the hurricanes. Hope you recover from this.

I also agree the current state of AD is pretty bad, but, judging by your words on CD or CE, I'm glad I don't frequent those subforums.
Nov 2, 2017 11:37 AM
Jul 2018
Tfw I change my profile pictures too often and some people kind of say that it's annoying. But also at the same time its nice to see that some people do. Aside from that I also like talking to you once in a while @SuperRed, I'm thankful for talking to you from time to time tbh xP

Oh yeah by the way, we have somethings in common o.oU I think that's really why we get along so damn well xwx Hehe.
Nov 2, 2017 11:52 AM

Nov 2012
Wasshio said:
Tfw I change my profile pictures too often and some people kind of say that it's annoying. But also at the same time its nice to see that some people do. Aside from that I also like talking to you once in a while @SuperRed, I'm thankful for talking to you from time to time tbh xP

Oh yeah by the way, we have somethings in common o.oU I think that's really why we get along so damn well xwx Hehe.

No problem fam, Kumiko is bae.

Illyricus said:
Many thanks for the shout out, SuperRed, si nice to see someone here gives a shit about a nobody like me xD
I'm happy to see you are okay and nothing has happened to you respecting the hurricanes. Hope you recover from this.

I also agree the current state of AD is pretty bad, but, judging by your words on CD or CE, I'm glad I don't frequent those subforums.

We need the days of OPM spam to rise again.
Nov 2, 2017 12:17 PM

Jul 2013
SuperRed said:
Illyricus said:

We need the days of OPM spam to rise again.
If only things would been that easy...
Nov 2, 2017 12:49 PM
Jul 2018
Wtf that's a betrayal, I have better taste than Snappy but wasn't mentioned in Users I like section. And that last mention felt shoehorned in the end kek, damn bruh

Anyway nice interview, for me the best part was the insight in Puerto Rico's condition now, mal is a boring site anyway so the less you talk about it, the better.
Nov 2, 2017 1:06 PM

Nov 2012
Frostbytes said:
Wtf that's a betrayal, I have better taste than Snappy but wasn't mentioned in Users I like section. And that last mention felt shoehorned in the end kek, damn bruh

Anyway nice interview, for me the best part was the insight in Puerto Rico's condition now, mal is a boring site anyway so the less you talk about it, the better.

#Top10AnimeBetrayals

Consider it an honorary like that I mentioned you at least.

Also I forgot to rant about Trump's terrible visit and the moronic things he said and did.
Nov 2, 2017 1:09 PM
Jul 2018
SuperRed said:
Frostbytes said:

#Top10AnimeBetrayals

Also I forgot to rant about Trump's terrible visit and the moronic things he said and did.

I couldn't actually believe you only mentioned me there to insult Snappy's shit waifu taste, BLOCKED.

I hate talking about politics and all over the internet so good thing you didn't. Instead I would have asked what did you think about that hot chick in Despacito.
Nov 2, 2017 1:18 PM

Nov 2012
Frostbytes said:
SuperRed said:

#Top10AnimeBetrayals

I couldn't actually believe you only mentioned me there to insult Snappy's shit waifu taste, BLOCKED.

I hate talking about politics and all over the internet so good thing you didn't. Instead I would have asked what did you think about that hot chick in Despacito.

Salty.

I haven't seen Despacito, no comment.
Nov 2, 2017 1:25 PM
Jul 2018
SuperRed said:
Frostbytes said:

Salty.

Weird considering that I heard that 4billion up views song suddenly created a massive interest in Puerto Rico(tourism) , so I expected it to be quite popular for you to listen to.
Nov 2, 2017 1:33 PM

Nov 2012
Frostbytes said:
SuperRed said:

Salty.

Weird considering that I heard that 4billion up views song suddenly created a massive interest in Puerto Rico(tourism) , so I expected it to be quite popular for you to listen to.

I actually didn't know it was a thing until yesterday. I'm not really into music videos.
Nov 2, 2017 2:18 PM

Apr 2016
Thx for the shoutout boi too accurate, plz nerf

Shit, another Yugioh duelist? Aww yeah!!

Damn, sorry for what happened over there. I can barely begin to imagine how rough it must've been.
Nov 2, 2017 4:10 PM
Jul 2018
@Darek Idk really
Nov 2, 2017 5:00 PM

Aug 2014
It's not like I read One Piece because you told me to or anything b-baka!
Nov 2, 2017 5:54 PM

Jan 2010
@SuperRed

Nice read!

Open world and RPG games, interesting stuff, especially due to how you're into One Piece as well. Makes me wonder which one you've burnt the most time on.
Nov 8, 2017 8:26 AM

Apr 2017
@superred

Nice interview, I expected to see swagernator in your fav users list, you know why :D

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Nov 10, 2017 4:40 PM

Apr 2015
Wow you have become such of an OP fan lol

Nice read btw, and ty for the mention
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Nominations V2 ( 1 2 )

Skittles - Nov 21, 2021

64 by Dapper_Dhampir14 »»
Sep 2, 2023 6:01 PM

» Interview 24 - Kineta

Daconator - Jun 10, 2015

15 by cornonacob »»
Aug 5, 2023 3:36 PM

» Interview #267 - lpf

spaceslut - Mar 28, 2023

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Mar 29, 2023 9:30 AM

» Interview #254 - IrrelevantGuy

NextUniverse - Apr 9, 2022

8 by IrrelevantGuy »»
Mar 22, 2023 4:30 AM

» Interview #200 - Shinah

Mimurona - Oct 13, 2019

10 by Shinah »»
Mar 9, 2023 10:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.