Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 20, 2017 7:43 PM

Nov 2014
Shocked said:
aikaflip said:

I mostly agree.

A drawback of stories with a heavy emphasis on world building is that the characterization is often undermined as a result. The more leisurely pacing of the original helped mitigate this issue, and foster an intimacy with the characters that I'm not quite feeling with this adaptation. With this version, I just find myself passively watching Kino do cool stuff rather than wondering about anyone's lives, or asking any questions. Though, this disconnect could change depending on how the next episodes play out.

That's really the greatest paradox. This is Kino's Journey, and the show should be about the people and places Kino finds, as opposed to the titular main character. (...)

Of course. This goes back to my point about how more mystery could evoke more interest. In the 2003 version, which I hardly remember because my anime memory is terrible, I wondered a lot about who Kino was, why they were traveling, and so on. Not all of these questions were answered, but they remained in the back of my mind. In this version, nothing has happened to make me really care about that, or most of the people along the journey so far, hence the disconnect. For me, the first episode was the strongest; the second episode was rushed; and this third episode was, as you said, very blatant. Now, don't get me wrong. Kino 2017 isn't bad at all. It just hasn't consistently resonated with me.

ThatCynicalOtaku said:
I don't understand the anime community's obsession with wanting major characterization for every anime.

Luckily I don't have that obsession or else I wouldn't have appreciated the 2003 Kino as much as I did. And no, I'm not one of those people who thinks that first version of something is always better.

ThatCynicalOtaku said:
aikaflip said:
I should've liked this episode more than I did. Something emotionally is missing from this adaption. Maybe there isn't enough mystery or build-up. There are good ideas, but I'm not feeling them. Kino's aloofness may also be an issue. It's off-putting.

I think it's because this season lacks the bleakness and bizarreness season 1 was known for. Probably mainly due to the repulsively happy asethetics, as opposed to the cold, picture-book like aesthetics of season 1. I mean, so far, there hasn't been any episode from this season that comes close to being as...poetic, like the episode with the canoe country and the crazy singer.

You may have a point. Aside from the first episode, the countries have perhaps been too comfortable, and the social commentary hasn't been as subtle.
aikaflipOct 20, 2017 7:49 PM
Oct 20, 2017 7:51 PM

Jan 2010
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
Shocked said:

That's really the greatest paradox. This is Kino's Journey, and the show should be about the people and places Kino finds, as opposed to the titular main character. It's cool seeing Kino do cool stuff, but my favorite episodes are ones where Kino's neutrality is challenged and is forced to break out of that observer standpoint, rather than where Kino jumps headfirst into being a near-invincible marksman. I find that the series works better with stronger settings for Kino to react to, rather than having Kino be the driver of the story (pun intended). As a main character, Kino actually doesn't have much character, so by having an episode revolve around Kino is basically gunshots and a side of aloof snark. It's...okay I guess...but it's still not much to work with.

I don't understand the anime community's obsession with wanting major characterization for every anime.
Kino's Journey isn't a character drama. It's obvious that the focus is the setting and little stories. It's never about being "emotionally attached".
Hell, Romeo and Juliet, one of the most popular plays of all time, has 2 protagonists with 0 personality.

Anime's kinda weird, where for some reason there's a perception running around that an anime should be judged by its characters, rather than by what the anime is actually trying to portray. If a given show is trying to show of fun, energetic and eccentric characters, then the show should be judged by how well those characters perform. However, if a show is trying to show off great environments and settings, then I'd imagine the show should then be judged on how well those places are developed. I'm aware that I'm watching Kino's Journey with the intent to study its countries first, rather than watching Kino do Kino things. Not every anime has to have a checkmark on every corner of development to be considered good. At times, doing too much one one aspect overshadows other parts of the show since, well, there's only a limited amount of episodes to be aired, so priorities need to be placed somewhere.

Djidji said:

Exactly, but they also said their way of living force them to (almost) constantly move [forward] as well. I liked the idea to linked all that to the concept of freedom.

They weren't exactly forced, but in order to maintain their standard of living, they made the conscious decision to cause harm to the world and other countries in the process. This, in a way, exaggerates real world drives to push civilization forward at the cost of the natural environment general access to resources, particularly when such things are under the jurisdiction of other political bodies. To what extent does the advancement and preservation of a modern lifestyle create harm around us, and even if we're aware of it, should we exercise greater caution in reducing our impact? Should we outright dispose of our lifestyle and live as one with nature? Is it okay to accept the damage we've done and continue living for as long as we can? Does it not even matter, making the ordeal be one where it's under some natural right to put your own well being before others? Is there room for human empathy, or would that just be an artificial sentiment trying to get rid of personal guilt through "better than thou" finger pointing? Is there even a correct answer, or at least one that manages a less destructive outcome?

Or it could have just been a simple story about Kino and Howl's Moving Laser Fortress. I dunno.
Oct 20, 2017 8:12 PM
Jul 2013
Djidji said:

Maybe I should point out the bloodthirsty citizens act this way (you know, the ones shouting "Kill him" on the last match), while they could have not. The presence of slaves sugar-coated the rule Kino made but it's still a genocyde of the top-citizens if I reuse your wording. It just appeared that everyone is a top-citizen here. Or maybe you wanted to close your eyes on how the citizens were?

No, it's not a genocide of the upper class. They chose whether they wanted to fight or not. Genocides aren't voluntary.
Oct 20, 2017 8:40 PM
Jul 2018
SaitoInu said:

No, it's not a genocide of the upper class. They chose whether they wanted to fight or not. Genocides aren't voluntary.

At the risk of going seriously off-topic because this isn't the episode 2 thread, I'm going to paste someone else's take from Twitter here on that particular moment because I found it extremely interesting in understanding what it was going for, and how it may still work. Really sorry this is happening here but I'd really rather get a response that's at least noticed in while the topic is apparently still hot, and I'm not going to go back to this topic later, at least here.

"I've explained to people privately before, but Colosseum's cruel ending is supposed to make a very clear statement on Kino. Kino will not meddle with a country's laws and rules, they always abide by their customs even if they disagree with them.But wait, isn't what Kino did at the end meddling?

No, it specifically wasn't.

Kino was forced to fight, followed each rule stated and only killed the king through a rule the guard had stated was accepted. And as such, they were given the right to proclaim a law by that nation's customs. Because the country enjoyed bloodshed and seeing people be killed, confirmed by the masses and (in the novel) the guards. The law was one that would allow the masses to indulge in all the bloodshed they want, at the cost of their country, while others walk free (note: the novel explains how some were capable of realising the destructiveness of the law on the nation itself, and used the opportunity to leave, as was the secondary intention of the rule)

There are two themes in Colosseum, bloodthirst and vengeance. Kino purposefully refuses to kill anyone except the king who is forcing non-citizens to fight to the death. And when given the right to do so, tells the citizens who revel in killing that they can kill each other instead. Which becomes law.

The chapter is a particularly grim one that's all about how indulging in violent acts will lead to everyone's death. And yes, that's not the takeaway from the 2003 anime. But that's on the 2003 anime, which completely changed and added a lot of parts. In the 2003 anime it was reframed as Kino freeing slaves and being a hero by killing the mad king. Which is fine, but... that really paints a wrong image of what Kino's Journey is about. Of course, it's extra odd since it indulges so heavily in action scenes which undermines its point."

https://twitter.com/andrearitsu/status/921541488835747845
removed-userOct 20, 2017 9:03 PM
Oct 21, 2017 12:16 AM

Nov 2015
I'm still not sure how I feel about this reboot. I like the way it looks but I can't say that any of the actual episodes so far have done much for me when compared with the original series. I'm not quite sure why...but obviously I'll keep watching. At this point the show is about 6.5/10 for me.
Oct 21, 2017 12:58 AM
Jul 2018
Ooh, I really like the world in this anime. The difference in technology level in every country is pretty cool.

From the episode, I might side with the military based country more than the moving one, since it is still not nice to just pass through their land while causing quite the environmental damage, even though they really are just passing through.

Then again, it might be what they deserved I guess.
Oct 21, 2017 1:44 AM

Jul 2011
Man, I loved the twist at the end. I was wondering why she would break her 3 day rule.

Also, I just thought about it and I think she actually ended up not breaking the 3 day rule. 5 days is about the amount of time a normal person with sleep and breaks would be able to travel to and through the other country. Bothersome country just ploughs on day and night and also tried to get through the other country as quickly as possible without so much as spending any time at all to negotiate the terms of passing through so no-one ended up spending 5 days in political stalemate or whatnot anyway.

I would take a piggyback ride involving clean sheet and hot showers too, as a traveler who spends most of their days sleeping rough.
Akuma-chiOct 21, 2017 1:57 AM
Oct 21, 2017 1:47 AM

Feb 2011
Scratchy99 said:
This episode was great. You think that the plot is going in one direction, but as the episode goes on, you realize that things don't appear like they do.

If anyone is confused, Kino at first visited the Wall Country, but they demanded her Woodsman persuader (the pistol on her back) so she could pass through. She didn't want to give up her gun so she couldn't move on, since the wall was built so travelers would have to pay a toll. With her giving up, she went back to come up with a plan so she wouldn't have to pay. She then saw the moving country and decided to stay there. The reason she said she wanted to stay 5-10 days was because she wanted to know if the country was capable of going through the wall country one way or another. It wasn't guaranteed that the country would pass through in 3 days.

This episode shows how both countries are at fault. While the Wall country is greedy, they still want to protect their people and the land. The Moving Country is peaceful, but they destroy nature and ruin lives for outsiders. No country is good or bad, but in this context, we are supposed to root for the Moving Country. Even Kino's morals are ambiguous as she did not judge both countries for their lifestyles.

(Sorry for the wall of text)

Everyone should read this. Thanks for the explanation. It's disheartening to see so many people don't understand the real story.
Oct 21, 2017 2:34 AM

May 2016
Liked this episode better than the last one, but I'm still not wowed by this series the same way as I was with the older anime. Great animation and decent story, but I wish there was more in depth dialogue and country expositions, I think. It was hilarious at the end
It just seemed so absurd! I really did like Kino and Hermes dialogue at the end comparing both countries. This series needs more of that.
KelsiFinnOct 21, 2017 2:37 AM
Oct 21, 2017 2:40 AM

Jul 2012
Wait, Kino blushed? need gif

tomboys are way cuter than traps

I'm using trap in this context to describe what those characters in anime are, if you take offense to that then grow up, it's not even aimed at you, much less real people.
ChdataOct 21, 2017 2:43 AM
~ Ch-ch-ch-data

Visit my Discord community: VGData.
For games, anime, & music.
Oct 21, 2017 2:40 AM

Apr 2008
YES! SHIZU'S EPISODE NEXT WEEK!

IchiroEXOct 21, 2017 2:46 AM
Oct 21, 2017 2:43 AM
Mar 2016
The wall country vs the Moving country although i think the wall country is a dick for their high toll the moving country is more in the wrong. for me its the wall countries land its their decision to make high toll and even without the toll and even without a wall they would still not let the moving country through because it would still destroy their Homes and crops. what if the crops the moving country destroyed was the wall countries major food source and its destruction means 1/3 of their population is going to starve. it feels like the writers put that high toll in the end to make us less sympathetic towards the wall country and more to the moving country. and the moving country just accepting the destruction their country leaves is messed up its like im gonna destroy your home and food source just so we can see a great sunset on the beach is no excuse and people are actually siding with the moving country just because the other one is a dick. how would you feel if your home or your ranch for 15 years is going to be destroyed because a new high way is going to be built on it and you wont get restitution. the moving country could have at least paid the wall country for the destruction they have caused but nope according to their diplomat they cant comply even though it is the wall countries sovereign right what assholes it pissing me off specially making the wall country dickish as an excuse to make the moving country acceptable sorry for the long rant
Oct 21, 2017 2:53 AM
Mar 2016
Scratchy99 said:
This episode was great. You think that the plot is going in one direction, but as the episode goes on, you realize that things don't appear like they do.

If anyone is confused, Kino at first visited the Wall Country, but they demanded her Woodsman persuader (the pistol on her back) so she could pass through. She didn't want to give up her gun so she couldn't move on, since the wall was built so travelers would have to pay a toll. With her giving up, she went back to come up with a plan so she wouldn't have to pay. She then saw the moving country and decided to stay there. The reason she said she wanted to stay 5-10 days was because she wanted to know if the country was capable of going through the wall country one way or another. It wasn't guaranteed that the country would pass through in 3 days.

This episode shows how both countries are at fault. While the Wall country is greedy, they still want to protect their people and the land. The Moving Country is peaceful, but they destroy nature and ruin lives for outsiders. No country is good or bad, but in this context, we are supposed to root for the Moving Country. Even Kino's morals are ambiguous as she did not judge both countries for their lifestyles.

(Sorry for the wall of text)

I believe the is more at fault for destroying home and crops of another country and this isnt the only time its going to happen some other country good or bad is going to get trampled all because they want to see scenery's and cant settle in one place
Oct 21, 2017 3:49 AM

May 2009
SaitoInu said:
Djidji said:

Maybe I should point out the bloodthirsty citizens act this way (you know, the ones shouting "Kill him" on the last match), while they could have not. The presence of slaves sugar-coated the rule Kino made but it's still a genocyde of the top-citizens if I reuse your wording. It just appeared that everyone is a top-citizen here. Or maybe you wanted to close your eyes on how the citizens were?

Yep, they chose if they fight or if they leave the country (or dropped their rank), citizens (17's) could have done that as well. They were just stupid (or bloodthirsty) to react that way immediately. Still, Kino make them taste their own medicine, in both seasons.

Shocked said:

Djidji said:

Exactly, but they also said their way of living force them to (almost) constantly move [forward] as well. I liked the idea to linked all that to the concept of freedom.

They weren't exactly forced, but in order to maintain their standard of living, they made the conscious decision to cause harm to the world and other countries in the process.

I had in mind the moment they say they have to make their country moving, otherwise it would accumulate heat and energy (and explode?). It's a like walking nuclear plant. xD
I wonder if the country can go wherever it want or if he can only move straight forward (or backward). (That wouldn't make sense if there is an obstacle though.)
If not, it's their traveling way of life which harms other country, not the "plant" itself. They could make their country moving in circle or something like that to prevent it from exploding.
I completely agree with your statement about civilizations' progress effects on the nature, which is what the scientist remind us with the global warming and so on.
Still, it's interesting to see the user here decide who is the worst guy in this story. ^^
Oct 21, 2017 4:00 AM

Jul 2016
Is funny how both countries represent the idea of an empire.

While the Travelling one abuses his power to keep their own way of life without thinking of how his actions affect others or not even caring.

The Wall Country instead knows perfectly well how his expansion affects people and tries to exploit it the best that it can.

Oct 21, 2017 4:02 AM

Jun 2016
That was an eccentric country. Haha. First time seeing one that travels, though it's just like a spaceship that travels on land. The only bad thing that country is doing is that they destruct other country's properties since they're unfuckwithable. Haha. I feel really bad for those poor people who owned the land especially that farm that was ruined by that travelling country. I don't even know what to feel about them.

Still can't fathom that Yoshiko from Aho Girl and Kino have the same seiyuu. I hate Aoi Yuuki's versatility, maaan. Ugh. <3

I want to see Kino's mural. Waaah.

Great episode. Loved it. <3

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 21, 2017 4:38 AM
Nov 2016
Pretty solid episode. This show does make us question the morality of every country, the moving country has nice people but they do destroy a lot of things.

Man, Kino with the sniper was so damn cool.
Oct 21, 2017 5:03 AM

Dec 2011
This country this time wasn't that bad and quite nice.They are all nice people in but they sure damage lands and village to go their way.
Oct 21, 2017 6:22 AM

Nov 2014
Shocked said:
Anime's kinda weird, where for some reason there's a perception running around that an anime should be judged by its characters, rather than by what the anime is actually trying to portray.

Here it looks like you're actually saying that people who watch anime are kinda weird because they don't judge them in a specific way. There's no objectively right or wrong way to judge art. People can judge art however they wish. I judge anime by how it makes me feel (happy, sad, awed, intrigued, etc). If it doesn't make me feel anything, naturally I won't care as much.

However, if a show is trying to show off great environments and settings, then I'd imagine the show should then be judged on how well those places are developed.

If someone just wanted to see great environments, they could watch a nature documentary, or flip through a book of illustrations. Animation has the potential to be more than its settings, and it has been. Take your favorite anime, Aria The Animation, for example. Not only does Aria take you to amazing places, it has great characters, which you see slowly grow over the course of the series. It is possible to balance world building with characters that you can give a damn about.
Oct 21, 2017 7:44 AM

Nov 2011
An episode strange as usual, but it also lets it reflect. Not that it is exciting in terms of the narrative, except for some situation, but one thing is certain, it is not anonymous.
Oct 21, 2017 7:50 AM

May 2012
Was ok episode. 1st and 2nd episode were better
Oct 21, 2017 8:08 AM

Jan 2010
aikaflip said:
Shocked said:
Anime's kinda weird, where for some reason there's a perception running around that an anime should be judged by its characters, rather than by what the anime is actually trying to portray.

Here it looks like you're actually saying that people who watch anime are kinda weird because they don't judge them in a specific way. There's no objectively right or wrong way to judge art. People can judge art however they wish. I judge anime by how it makes me feel (happy, sad, awed, intrigued, etc). If it doesn't make me feel anything, naturally I won't care as much.

However, if a show is trying to show off great environments and settings, then I'd imagine the show should then be judged on how well those places are developed.

If someone just wanted to see great environments, they could watch a nature documentary, or flip through a book of illustrations. Animation has the potential to be more than its settings, and it has been. Take your favorite anime, Aria The Animation, for example. Not only does Aria take you to amazing places, it has great characters, which you see slowly grow over the course of the series. It is possible to balance world building with characters that you can give a damn about.

Oct 21, 2017 8:09 AM

Aug 2016
Nice episode I guess, but it really seems like Kino is a bit of a sociopath. I understand that the whole point is that she just adapts to whatever country she's in, and in this episode in particular, I understand the metaphor of "travelers leave their mark upon each other, and that's the cost of interaction".

But literally speaking, the Terrordome is tyrannical, and she abetted that by helping them (to save a fucking mural, no less). Regardless of the sovereign country's overly large borders, the Terrordome should have been willing to negotiate, or just turn around and travel back the way they came. Purposefully trampling another country's property, endangering lives, and harming nature, and then ignoring their pleas for remuneration, just because you refuse to compromise on your travel plans, is an absolutely fascist dick move.

Tokoya said:
At first I felt bad for that other country since they pretty much lost a lot of their agriculture and some homes, but after learning that the only reason why they have that wall there is to extort people for money and other stuff, they deserved what happened lol

That felt awkwardly tacked on at the end just to make the audience feel less squirmy about Terrordome's - and Kino's - actions. Show, don't tell. Up until that exposition, that country did nothing wrong, and how does Hermes even know that's the case? I'm also not buying the diplomat's earlier "Oh we feel so bad about harming nature but oh well what can we do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ " excuse.
MyHeroZeroOct 21, 2017 8:13 AM
Oct 21, 2017 10:30 AM

Oct 2017
god what a awful episode, there was no lesson, no thing to entreintaing the audience, hell there was fucking nothing, and Kino did absolutely nothing besides shoot at some missils, which i don't give a shit since the country doens't even explain wy they keep walking

From the 3 Episodes revealed, 2 where meh and this one was horrible, why do people think that this is really a masterpiece or something?
Oct 21, 2017 10:41 AM

Apr 2015
Slightly politically charged episode, I could feel it
Oct 21, 2017 12:08 PM
Aug 2017
Killbay_Kun said:
god what a awful episode, there was no lesson, no thing to entreintaing the audience, hell there was fucking nothing, and Kino did absolutely nothing besides shoot at some missils, which i don't give a shit since the country doens't even explain wy they keep walking

Didn't the tour guide say that they keep moving for the change in scenery? Like tourists on a road trip I guess, except they do it their whole lives and they plow through whatever happens to be in their way.
Oct 21, 2017 12:20 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
ragdollomega said:
Killbay_Kun said:

Didn't the tour guide say that they keep moving for the change in scenery? Like tourists on a road trip I guess, except they do it their whole lives and they plow through whatever happens to be in their way.

and also the fact that they have a power reactor that makes too much energy so they have to keep moving or they explode ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 21, 2017 1:41 PM

Nov 2014
Shocked said:
Yeah, I agree that there are as many ways to watch, judge, and enjoy anime as there are anime viewers in the world, but I can't imagine anime existing in a vacuum, where nothing is right or wrong simultaneously.

There's no committee that decides what's universally right or wrong in art. There are rules if you want to create something in accordance with a preexisting style, but there are no rules saying that you must like that style.

It just feels like an easy way out of having to explain one's self, where people have the convenience of having their thoughts heard by the public masses, only to retract their thoughts with the defense of the lack of objectivity in art.

I haven't retracted anything... People's personal taste don't need to be debated and deconstructed. If you didn't like one of my favorite anime, first off I probably wouldn't care. But if you wanted to have a discussion, I'd explain what I liked, listen to what you didn't like, and respectfully discuss the differences. I wouldn't passively aggressively chastise you for not seeing what I saw.

There will always be differences between people, but that's when I'd like 'em to actually talk and come to some shared understanding of how to watch a given show from different vantage points.

That's not necessary. People don't need to agree on everything.

I'm not calling out people not judging anime in a specific way, but rather having expectations for shows that couldn't possibly be fulfilled, at least without the anime itself going out of its way to do so.

The only expectation I have when watching an anime is that it's not boring. This expectation is typically fulfilled by fascinating settings, different cultures (not just East Asian ones), and intriguing characters. Or it can just be really goofy like last season's Aho Girl, which was a lot of fun.

If opinions are neither right or wrong and can exist in a vacuum of one's own set of experiences, then how does a person communicate their thoughts to another person, who most likely has a different set of experiences?

Easily. I discuss anime with people all the time. Sometimes an opinion changes; sometimes no opinions change. Either is fine.

For the most part, it focuses on traveling, the stories of different countries, and how they portray some real life issue in an exaggerated fashion.

As did Kino 2003, which I enjoyed more than this new adaptation.
Oct 21, 2017 2:08 PM

Mar 2014
THE CGI IN THE ENDING SEQUENCE GAVE ME CANCER
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 21, 2017 2:10 PM

May 2015
That was one strange yet intriguing country.

Solid episode. Kino is definitely not a person to mess with. Those are some insane sniping skills.

Oct 21, 2017 2:23 PM

Jan 2010
@aikaflip

Perhaps I got a little too ahead of myself, let me backtrack a bit.

The main thing I was getting at was when you said there's no objectively right or wrong way to judge art. If that were the case, we could agree to our own thoughts and end this conversation. There would be little benefit to actually talking, and we could go on and believe whatever we wanted. It's more of a personal distaste I have to that train of thought, so I apologize if I came across as a bit too forward in that regard.

No, there isn't a single way to do anything right or wrong in art. It lends to the multitude of ways to produce and interpret it as such. I like a number of your favorites as well, but I also go out of my way to find both positive and negative opinions on them since I'm always interested in different ways of experiencing the same anime. Yes, I enjoy the 2003 Kino version more as well. Yes, people don't need to agree to everything, as that would be absurd and just as harmful as everyone shutting out discussion, as there wouldn't be much to gain from uniformity. No, not everyone's thoughts need to be analyzed and discussed, but would that be the alternative to throwing out personal thoughts into the open air and just leaving it at that? Perhaps that's going too far off into another extreme, but I'd wonder if agreeing to disagree is really all there is. I'll leave that thought alone for now though, as it starts to stray from the scope of the anime itself.

Mostly, I'm for the moment trying to figure out what this current Kino adaptation is trying to do. So far, it seems to be trying to provide decent amount of action, some snarky side commentary, and surface-level skimming of various countries for where Kino gets involved in at varying levels. I'm just hoping it turns out well enough in that regard. Maybe this version would have been better received if the 2003 version didn't exist, as the only other adaption to compare it to would be the Shaft short film? Would you say you are watching the 2017 Kino's Journey with the 2003 version in mind to compare, or are you looking at this new adaptation as a standalone entity? Maybe a combination of the both, maybe something else entirely? Maybe it's all irrelevant and this was primarily for the purposes of entertainment, which may not be all there for some off putting reason?

There's probably no real issue here and I'm just rambling, but since this is Kino's Journey, I felt that this was the best opportunity to do more in the episode discussion threads than just post reactions and leave it at that.

Oct 21, 2017 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
Lanz said:
Slightly politically charged episode, I could feel it
It's important to remember some of the stories that these episodes are based off are upwards of decades old. the series has been running to this day.
Oct 21, 2017 5:03 PM

Nov 2014
Shocked said:
No, not everyone's thoughts need to be analyzed and discussed, but would that be the alternative to throwing out personal thoughts into the open air and just leaving it at that?

I'm fine with respectful discussion and debate.

Maybe this version would have been better received if the 2003 version didn't exist (...)

I doubt that. As a standalone work, Kino 2017 has mostly been about Kino being really good at shooting. There hasn't been much sustenance.

Would you say you are watching the 2017 Kino's Journey with the 2003 version in mind to compare (...)

I'm watching this adaptation with very little memory of the other anime, and I'm not familiar with the novels or manga. All I remember from Kino 2003 is that it had sharp social commentary, and Kino as a character was intriguing.
Oct 21, 2017 5:23 PM

Jul 2016
Another excellent episode! Tho I think Kino sniper skills looked a bit overpowered (or maybe not, considering the technology anyway).

I loved how every country has some kind of contradiction in it. This time, you have a really peaceful country despite all its firepower, however, it still causes trouble and conflict with other countries just by existing.

Kino getting caught in this conflicts and deciding by her/himself (don't want to spoiler her gender) when to help or ignore others. So far I've only seen the "good side" of Kino, I want to see her making some hard or bad decision since she looked so neutral/subjective on the first season even tho he/she is sweet inside.

Looking really solid by the 3-episode mark, I'll give it an 8/10 for now, time will tell if it can go up or down.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Oct 21, 2017 5:48 PM
Dec 2015
Mouloxas said:
Djidji said:
It is said 3 days is the best. Staying longer wouldn't be surprising considering the country is moving.

Ruzgfpegk said:
Kino already traveled through the walled country (as explained at the end)
Given the direction of the moving country, she knew it would cross the other one in the time period she gave, which was more than 3 days, and she wanted to see what would happen then.

You're wrong, what happened was that the "walled country" wanted her woodsman (the pistol) as compensation for allowing her to cross through the country, hence why she knew about the toll/extortion and was wondering what to do at the beginning of the episode. Since she couldn't accept that, she used the "moving country" to get past the "walled country" for free.

I'm just surprised she broke her 3 day rule. For example, in the original Sakura episode, Hermes was shocked when she wanted to break her 3 day rule and stay in that country. I won't spoil more because the Sakura episode will be getting a remake...

Thanks, your comment helped me understand what happened a bit better, also makes the beginning of the episode make sense.

Oct 21, 2017 5:50 PM
Dec 2015
The main country annoyed the hell out of me, yeah I get the whole the other country wasn't good either, but still! One of them being bad doesn't excuse the other. Fact is the main country could have found a spot that would be destructive to agriculture and people's livelihood. Their blatant lack of caring is what made it worse for me.

Oct 21, 2017 6:29 PM

Aug 2015
The moment they mentioned their journey destroys the terrain I had a feeling this would put them into conflict between another country.
Oct 21, 2017 8:18 PM

Feb 2016
The extortionist country, they spent a lot of money building up their border wall. From a purely business viewpoint, you spend time investing money into building your country, you want a return on your investment. No-one is forcing anyone to go to their country, it's not an extortion, however, other countries are also free through diplomacy or military to open up a corridor because they don't agree.

I understand Kino's viewpoint, but I cannot agree with her. That moving country knows it's a bother to everyone but because they feel so safe in that shelled dome, they don't actually care. That's the feeling I got from this episode, as they calmly sipped their tea after destroying years of hard work those poor farmers put into their beloved fields. Why can't they be honest and admit that they are not as peaceful as they claim, but deluded, admit they love freedom so much that they know they have take it away from someone else...

They could use engineering research to safely move that reactor from being a '"EV battery" to being a stationary nuclear plant, provide enormous electrical power as a country's core export and left the castle. They can sell high-end engineering skills. But nope, literally steamroll over other countries and pretend to be a peaceful nation.
Cloud_IllusionOct 21, 2017 8:22 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Oct 22, 2017 1:00 AM
Jul 2017
aLotQuestion said:
BESIDE those extortionists and so-called kind people that don't abuse power.

Is this kind of country allowed? What is the moral of this episode?
Is it as long as you are kind people, you are allowed to do such a thing to bad people?

The show already explained their moral, which is "no matter how kind you try to be, countries will always be a bother to another by simply existing."
Oct 22, 2017 2:05 AM
Oct 2008
Jeez, they're doing Ship Country so soon.
Oct 22, 2017 11:29 AM

Jun 2017
Scratchy99 said:
Even Kino's morals are ambiguous as she did not judge both countries for their lifestyles.

I disagree. Kino took her stance when she decided to engage the missiles, something I felt was very out of character for her. She supposedly adopts a neutral spectator stance towards all countries, and it was clearly stated that the moving country would suffer no significant detriment by the attacks, so there was no need for her to take any action then.

Very very unusual characterisation.
Oct 22, 2017 12:30 PM

Jan 2010
That moving country is so destructive and selfish. All it does is destroy anything in its path, and it doesnt give a damn about anything other then constantly moving. The amount of damage they did to the other country is insane, not to mention all the needless destruction of the enviroment. If the point is that they need to keep moving or the engine heats up, just fucking drive in circles or find a solution that doesnt involve causing damage to the whole world and annoy other countries.

I honestly dont care that the other country had a toll and a wall, that's every countries right, It may not be a nice thing to do, but that doesnt justify what that moving country did. They pretty much just said "Can we move through? no? oh well we're doing it anyway, screw you"
Oct 22, 2017 1:23 PM

Feb 2013
That country would kill people just to avoid disappointing some kids? Wow.

It seems in the end, the wall country would not not Kino pass through it. So Kino hitched a ride... and has a sniper rifle too it seems.
Oct 22, 2017 10:01 PM
Mar 2017
But if they travel at high speed, the car and the giant country. Why does it point there? because of the movement the bullet would go much higher !. Or am I wrong?

The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Oct 23, 2017 3:56 AM

Jul 2015
Well now, with a country like this, it is now impossible to guess what other kinds of places they might find themselves at. But both those countries suck, in different ways. Kino is great though, like, what an awesome kid. I'd totally live in the moving one.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 23, 2017 10:23 AM

Oct 2008
That is one colossal moving country and a very tough one! not even missiles and cannons could scratch it! and it has a uber OP laser! damn!
Kino's awesome with his sniper rifle and also a marksman to boot!
The only bad thing on this country is, it would always leave a humongous track of field destruction because of how heavy that moving colossal thing is!
4/5.

Oct 23, 2017 4:48 PM

Oct 2010
I liked this story and I like the explanation provided by @Scratchy99, which makes sense and kind of solidifies the strange ethical standards of Kino. However this leaves a side effect I don't like that much. In the end, this wasn't an episode about the countries and locations; it was an episode about Kino. In result, the setting(s) felt unexplored, and way less impressive than they could have been with this premise. There is not an in-depth look into the life inside the moving country, in fact everything is told in a rather schematic and distant way. This is mainly because Kino herself is not interested in the country; to her it is just a way to pass through, while during the rest of her travels she shows a will to explore and understand the culture and idiosyncrasy of the places she visits. This wasn't the case because she had a purpose from the beginning, and to me it didn't sound like she was interested on the place at all. This lack of interest sort of permeated into my own views towards the episode, which were way more indifferent than this otherwise well-thought out setting deserved.

I'd say 3/5 this time. In terms of emotional attachment it is clearly my least favorite episode so far, and it's a pity because the idea is very good, but it seems to carry the inevitable consequence of shooting itself in the foot and being unable to satisfy the main appeal of this series.

BoardGameBrawl said:
But literally speaking, the Terrordome is tyrannical, and she abetted that by helping them (to save a fucking mural, no less). Regardless of the sovereign country's overly large borders, the Terrordome should have been willing to negotiate, or just turn around and travel back the way they came. Purposefully trampling another country's property, endangering lives, and harming nature, and then ignoring their pleas for remuneration, just because you refuse to compromise on your travel plans, is an absolutely fascist dick move.

While true in the country's part, in Kino it's an embodiment of her neutrality on the matter. The only thing she cares about is passing through, and it is said and implied that the walled country doesn't allow her. To her distant and self-centered ideology, it is okay to pass through that way. And she does not act in any way or form to allow it. She simply lets things happen; the moving country would have passed through one way or the other, she just jumps into and takes advantage of the situation.

Protecting the mural is probably a random sign of kindness towards to the children she knows in that country, which sort of compromises her neutral standpoint, but seeing that she does it in a way that leaves zero casualties and causes no harm it is sort of unfair to blame her for the wrongdoings of a country she never otherwise felt attached to or a part of.
jal90Oct 23, 2017 5:07 PM
Oct 23, 2017 10:36 PM
Jul 2018
The moving country is controlled by real scumbags. Breaking a nation's wall, invading, trampling their crops then refusing to reimburse them - horrid actions, even if the nation being invaded was guilty of having harsh tolls for people to pass through.

Obviously whoever designed that country had no sense of morality/ethics
Oct 24, 2017 4:09 PM

Jun 2013
A moving country that doesn't care about borders
Oct 24, 2017 7:28 PM

Nov 2013
This is a bit closer to the Kino no Tabi I enjoyed from the original version, but the previous episode still kinda left me a bit irked.

I should really read the light novels.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2017

137 by milou1050 »»
Apr 14, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

255 by the_v1gor »»
Apr 13, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2017

103 by XpldFrFantasyLnd »»
Apr 6, 11:51 AM

» video game....

Videogamecoper - Dec 14, 2023

3 by ralfisagreatguy »»
Apr 3, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

133 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Mar 11, 12:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.