Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kakegurui - Compulsive Gambler -
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 16, 2017 6:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well it was an alright episode. The amount of focus on Itsuki's character made it thrilling although Jabami remains in control of her usual self in the match.

I think the most interesting part about the episode was when the Vice President removed her mask and revealed herself. At least we see more of Kaede's past. (I was kinda surprised they didn't use that scene in the beginning) One more episode left and it's obvious this show is an incomplete adaptation as the manga itself is still ongoing.

Ah Kaede's white hair....GG.
Sep 16, 2017 6:50 AM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Well it was an alright episode. The amount of focus on Itsuki's character made it thrilling although Jabami remains in control of her usual self in the match.

I think the most interesting part about the episode was when the Vice President removed her mask and revealed herself. At least we see more of Kaede's past. (I was kinda surprised they didn't use that scene in the beginning) One more episode left and it's obvious this show is an incomplete adaptation as the manga itself is still ongoing.

Interesting episode but even if the manga is ongoing, they should end the adaptation after the towers gambling that ends all the first main arc of the manga and withr the actual pacing and only one episode to go there is no way to achieve that goal. The show will end without an appropriate conclusion.

Sep 16, 2017 8:08 AM
Jun 2011
Pipe said:
Stark700 said:

Interesting episode but even if the manga is ongoing, they should end the adaptation after the towers gambling that ends all the first main arc of the manga and withr the actual pacing and only one episode to go there is no way to achieve that goal. The show will end without an appropriate conclusion.
if the whole next episode will be on the tower then it might end after the tower considering what we see in the preview
Sep 16, 2017 8:21 AM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
elior1 said:
Pipe said:

if the whole next episode will be on the tower then it might end after the tower considering what we see in the preview

Maybe with an inappropiated pacing. A bad way to finish the series.

Sep 16, 2017 8:25 AM

Sep 2013
Sumeragi is beeeeeeeeeeeest! And Yumeko's expression when Sumeragi bet her life was so sexy! Talk about the ecstasy of gambling.

Props to Kaede's VA. That "Huh?" after seeing Jabami's hand was so funny I had to pause the episode and laugh out loud.
Erika___Sep 16, 2017 6:54 PM
Sep 16, 2017 10:04 AM
Jul 2017
The episode is not bad. Drive the glow all is, but very stupidly brought out the personality of Kaede Manuda. Initially, they show an intelligent and calculating person, but then he comes across an elementary trick. And of all the characters he is most sorry for, how his dreams were broken. Therefore this series for me is estimated at 3 out of 5.
Sep 16, 2017 10:31 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
at least the episodes return to the "game cheat style", because the "idol game" was horrible!! ;)
Sep 16, 2017 12:30 PM

Jan 2013
Ranxomare said:
at least the episodes return to the "game cheat style", because the "idol game" was horrible!! ;)

games are pretty horrible in general in this anime/manga when you take away the gorges art

the whole series acts super smart while the games are incredibly shallow and the only way for the writer to make the game appear like it has depth is by giving yumeko bullshit powers

This is the only way the writter knows how to make a gamble/game/battle of wits setting:

1. take an existing game and change it up a little to look original enough

2. give yumekos opponent a clear advantage

3. since its hard to come up with creative strategies just design a whole game that favors one side based on a single element

4. yabami uses her bullshit powers

or

4. yabami gets lucky

or

4. both
Sep 16, 2017 1:48 PM
Jun 2016
juicykitten95 said:
Ranxomare said:

games are pretty horrible in general in this anime/manga when you take away the gorges art

the whole series acts super smart while the games are incredibly shallow and the only way for the writer to make the game appear like it has depth is by giving yumeko bullshit powers

Wait, the writer was trying to? I never thought he was. Thought he was purposely just making them all very limited and quick and straightforward... Well if he actually was trying to make them look like they have depth then he failed. lol

In a way, this is like NGNL to me.
Sep 16, 2017 2:44 PM

Jan 2013
4Dissinity said:

Wait, the writer was trying to? I never thought he was. Thought he was purposely just making them all very limited and quick and straightforward... Well if he actually was trying to make them look like they have depth then he failed. lol

Yes the best games for this type of story are the quick and limited ones that have simple rules. However you must also make the game seem simple but in fact there is a lot more going on, and there are lots of ways to do that:

1. by cheating (simple but subtle cheats are the best, also the main character out-cheating his opponent)

2. mind games (for example announcing that you are gonna use rock)

3. hidden rule/loopholes (if its not stated as illegal then its legal trope)

4. in rare cases having to think outside the box, borderline cheating ( is the coin in my left or right hand ? nether the guy behind me is holding it)

The good examples are games in animes/mangas like Kaiji,HxH,liar game, real account atc. You had to have seen at least some anime/manga like that.

However most the games in kakegurui (indian poker was good) have only the cheating part, and the fact that the cheat is so painfully obvious does not help its case.
The way yumeko handles these situations is even less interesting since it all boild down to luck and super powrs. I have seen several animes/mangas where the main character had to cut their body parts and come up with insane ideas in order to fight against the rigged games.
Sep 16, 2017 3:41 PM
Jun 2016
juicykitten95 said:
4Dissinity said:

Yes the best games for this type of story are the quick and limited ones that have simple rules. However you must also make the game seem simple but in fact there is a lot more going on, and there are lots of ways to do that:

1. by cheating (simple but subtle cheats are the best, also the main character out-cheating his opponent)

2. mind games (for example announcing that you are gonna use rock)

3. hidden rule/loopholes (if its not stated as illegal then its legal trope)

4. in rare cases having to think outside the box, borderline cheating ( is the coin in my left or right hand ? nether the guy behind me is holding it)

The good examples are games in animes/mangas like Kaiji,HxH,liar game, real account atc. You had to have seen at least some anime/manga like that.

However most the games in kakegurui (indian poker was good) have only the cheating part, and the fact that the cheat is so painfully obvious does not help its case.
The way yumeko handles these situations is even less interesting since it all boild down to luck and super powrs. I have seen several animes/mangas where the main character had to cut their body parts and come up with insane ideas in order to fight against the rigged games.

True. Can't argue with that. There are actual strategies that she's used in some of them that doesn't make it just rely on luck and/or powers, but they're simplistic ideas as well (like purposely pissing her opponent off to bet recklessly). Not really anywhere near insane. Even though this sort of thing isn't new, it mostly didn't do anything more than these in said games (if not literally ever. I can't remember). Not that it necessarily has to, but I can definitely understand why they would be appreciated, especially with how simple, quick, and limited these already are.

By the way, what other gambling/game series are you talking about that had their characters intentionally cut their body parts off? As far as I can remember that I've watched before, all I got was

4DissinitySep 16, 2017 3:46 PM
Sep 16, 2017 4:02 PM

Mar 2013
juicykitten95 said:
Ranxomare said:

This is the only way the writter knows how to make a gamble/game/battle of wits setting:

3. since its hard to come up with creative strategies just design a whole game that favors one side based on a single element

or

4. yabami gets lucky

or

4. both

To be fair Kakegurui never was about the gambling nor it'ts games it is about the characters that play those games and their expressions of their feelings. it's not that the author wirtes bad gambling games but more that he is focused on the characters that are playing it.
Sep 16, 2017 4:13 PM

May 2015
I think this was the best episode of the season. Mostly because it was epic even thou I actually didn't remember this part from the manga. I had completely forgot that Yumeko had fought against this guy xDD The scene when he sees Yumeko's hand was great! I really enjoy this episode and the animation was also good compared to other ones.
Sep 16, 2017 4:24 PM

May 2016
Gala_Lion said:
juicykitten95 said:

or

4. yabami gets lucky

or

4. both

To be fair Kakegurui never was about the gambling nor it'ts games it is about the characters that play those games and their expressions of their feelings. it's not that the author wirtes bad gambling games but more that he is focused on the characters that are playing it.

Ah, it's been a while since I've seen you around. :D

But yeah, I agree. @juicykitten95 , while I could totally understand how you feel, I wouldn't necessarily call them horrible. The games are actually doing fine by themselves. I'm not saying they're that good or anything, but that there isn't much of a problem to me. I can see what people mean when they say there's "bullshit powers" she occasionally comes off doing, though I'm used to that due to how much I've experienced that in other gambling series and the respective MCs there. In comparison to the other works you've said and what certain people expect out of the gambling, they are definitely underwhelming, but that doesn't necessarily make them terrible to me. Yeah, the things done in the games are very limited, and Yumeko neither sacrifices anywhere near as much during the games nor came up with plans as crazy and hard-working as the works you've listed does at times (I've never read Real Account. I will mark that as Plan to Read), but it doesn't mean that it's bad.
AlliedWishesSep 16, 2017 4:29 PM
Sep 16, 2017 4:31 PM

Jan 2013
Gala_Lion said:

Ofc that everything else is great but the next games are gonna be way too predictable and obvious. Like it would not hurt to put more effort into them as they are a big part of this genre.
Sep 16, 2017 4:39 PM

Jan 2013
AlliedWishes said:
while I could totally understand how you feel, I wouldn't necessarily call them horrible.

Y i went overboard by saying horrible. Its just that the way the characters art and atmosphere are handled so great that its easy to miss just how poorly these games are handled. The author literally just adds the basic elements in the gambles and calls it a day.
Sep 16, 2017 4:43 PM

Mar 2013
AlliedWishes said:
Gala_Lion said:

But yeah, I agree. @juicykitten95 , while I could totally understand how you feel, I wouldn't necessarily call them horrible. The games are actually doing fine by themselves. I'm not saying they're that good or anything, but that there isn't much of a problem to me. I can see what people mean when they say there's "bullshit powers" she occasionally comes off doing, though I'm used to that due to how much I've experienced that in other gambling series and the respective MCs there. In comparison to the other works you've said and what certain people expect out of the gambling, they are definitely underwhelming, but that doesn't necessarily make them terrible to me. Yeah, the things done in the games are very limited, and Yumeko neither sacrifices anywhere near as much during the games nor came up with plans as crazy and hard-working as the works you've listed does at times (I've never read Real Account. I will mark that as Plan to Read), but it doesn't mean that it's bad.

Yeah been busy xD and was on vacation as well. but yeah I also agree with you.

juicykitten95 said:
Gala_Lion said:

Ofc that everything else is great but the next games are gonna be way too predictable and obvious. Like it would not hurt to put more effort into them as they are a big part of this genre.

That'what you get when you have a OP character like Yumeko. she is the type of character that either will crushes everything that comes on her way or but crushed her self. it's not that the author doesn't put effort in them but it's just that his character is just to OP. just look at the story of Twin the protag Mary isn't OP like Yumeko is and the games they play become more fun because of that
Sep 16, 2017 4:59 PM

Jan 2013
Gala_Lion said:

That'what you get when you have a OP character like Yumeko

Yumeko is not the problem. Characters are the strong part of the show. Its that the games are structured in a way that there is not much back and forth action.

Just some simple game-play and then the twist at the end (which is ether about cheating or some hidden secret in the game that was in there on purpose for the sake of the twist)

The only game that had more elements then just the twist at the end was the Indian poker.
Sep 16, 2017 6:20 PM

Jun 2015
Figured Yumeko was going to win. No surprise there. She and Itsuki put their lives on the line to win and they did. Got to know a bit about Kaede. I didn't expect the student council president to reveal herself like that. The next gamble against her is going to be very interesting.
Sep 16, 2017 7:04 PM

May 2016
juicykitten95 said:
AlliedWishes said:
while I could totally understand how you feel, I wouldn't necessarily call them horrible.

Y i went overboard by saying horrible. Its just that the way the characters art and atmosphere are handled so great that its easy to miss just how poorly these games are handled. The author literally just adds the basic elements in the gambles and calls it a day.

Oh. Then lol yeah, very true. Can see how that's a gripe.

Gala_Lion said:
AlliedWishes said:

Yeah been busy xD and was on vacation as well. but yeah I also agree with you.

Oh I see.

Well, back on-topic, I really liked how they have adapted this part. They even included what Manyuda's father said to him when they didn't include what Yumemi's mother said to her, although I don't really know how the final will adapt. The preview isn't telling me much either. It kind of looks like it's doing something it's own way completely.
Sep 16, 2017 7:27 PM

Apr 2012
so whats going to happen next episode? president vs yumeko ?
Sep 16, 2017 7:50 PM

Jan 2013
1. i winced at the nails
2. Saori Hayami's orgasm voice tho
3. glad Switch got what's comin
4. yea i know whats going on and obvious with prez and masked prez
Sep 16, 2017 8:04 PM

Nov 2016
Well, that was ok, but the gamble didn't really impress me. Sumeragi ripping off her nails looked cool, tho.

Manyuda falling into despair was nice too,that look on his face and his voice were priceless.He even turned white hair lol.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 16, 2017 8:16 PM

Nov 2016
uh so did the dude die?
Sep 16, 2017 8:35 PM
Aug 2016
BlazeSoulReaperX said:
uh so did the dude die?

No. Instead, he became the next Kaneki.
Sep 16, 2017 8:41 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode. DAMN all the bets keep getting higher.
Argh Sumeragi tearing her nails out.
Manyuda got destroyed.

Student Council President was behind the mask. Jabami loves to gamble. It never ends.

"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Sep 16, 2017 8:41 PM

Sep 2016
VinnyLam said:
BlazeSoulReaperX said:
uh so did the dude die?

No. Instead, he became the next Kaneki.

Not the next Arima?
Sep 16, 2017 9:06 PM
Feb 2013
Do you guys think that the next episode will be a filler? I get this from the preview, since Sayaka didn't ask Yumeko for a duel and they were playing a Tarot-based card game.
Sep 16, 2017 9:09 PM

Jun 2014
I definitely wasn't expecting the Student Council President to be the person behind the mask. The gambling and the bets got crazy in this episode, and not surprisingly Yumeko came out on top. Not gonna lie, I thought it was kind of funny when Manyuda lost because his voice sounded like Sugita slipped right into Gintoki mode lol. Really sucks for him though.

Looks like next episode will be the President vs. Yumeko. Two psychopaths going at it....I feel like they might end up having to rush the episode.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 16, 2017 9:10 PM

Feb 2016
Did anyone else have a brain tremble moment when she bit off her nails?

Sep 16, 2017 9:17 PM

Apr 2014
i'm confused, how was the president in 2 places at once? or was it kind of like a flashback? as in, how was she at the family reunion thing at the same time? is it because they're twins and talk exactly the same
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 16, 2017 9:41 PM

Jun 2015
Did that guy look into Yumeko's deadlights?
Sep 16, 2017 9:50 PM
Jul 2009
owlette said:
i'm confused, how was the president in 2 places at once? or was it kind of like a flashback? as in, how was she at the family reunion thing at the same time? is it because they're twins and talk exactly the same

They're twins, yeah. I think they swap places pretty often so it's probably impossible to tell which one is which.
Sep 16, 2017 10:08 PM

Mar 2017
I'm hearing a lot of people talking about how the games are unoriginal and stuff about "Yumeko's bullshit powers", but let's keep in mind that Yumeko HAS actually lost in the past. In that sense, it's different from NGNL where it's just win-win-win.
Sep 16, 2017 10:21 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I'm gonna need to know what happened to that masked girl and who she really is but other than that, that was a great twist lol

I almost feel bad for the vice president lol, poor dude got REKT beyond belief xD
Sep 16, 2017 10:23 PM

Dec 2016
Jabami is incredible to watch at times, those scenes of her getting into the head of Itsuki, she has a way with words and people.

Damn, that must have hurt a lot getting rid of her fingernails like that.

Ah so the president has a twin sister, that was quite the trick she played on them.

Jabami VS the president next time, supernova indeed.
Sep 16, 2017 10:25 PM

Jan 2015
Well, that's pretty much the end for Manyuda. That's not because of his ambition, but for looking down on other people for too long. PLUS like Yumeko said, using too much "High Road".
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Sep 16, 2017 10:28 PM
Mar 2015
juicykitten95 said:
Ranxomare said:

or

4. yabami gets lucky

or

4. both

if this posted when yumeko gambled against sumeragi, I'll believe it.
in this episode though, no bullshit power. There's still luck, it's poker afterall.

the game ends when manyuda think yumeko will go weaker again.
The rest of the episode I just enjoy the tension building of the game. it's the best part of the anime.

Manyuda is the first likable opponent to me. He takes yumeko's gambling complex into account. Unfortunately he doesn't realize that yumeko wants him to think she'll go weaker, even though it's pretty obvious. Can't blame manyuda though, she has been tricking other people to think she has something under the sleeves since ages. In the end, whichever he chooses, it's an uncertainty, a gamble.
Sep 16, 2017 10:33 PM

Sep 2013
Poor Manyuda, betting his life only to get rused :'(
Sep 16, 2017 11:04 PM

Jun 2016
oohhhhhhhhh the final showdown....

RED VS BLUE-ish

can't wait !!!
Sep 16, 2017 11:51 PM

Aug 2013
Battle of best sadomasochistic doms? I'm down.
Don't believe the hype.
Sep 17, 2017 12:03 AM

May 2015
Well they sure like taking things over the edge. First eye gouging, now ripping out fingernails...

So the vice president was actually the "president"? Well that's a good way to get to the climax quickly...

I wish that Yumeko was a little more arrogant. Her beating Manyuda would have been a perfect "in your face" moment where she just points and laughs at him for trying to be all high and mighty. But no...calm as usual.. Well Sumeragi did some of it, but I wish they were more aggressive with it. Would have made this (and the rest of the anime) more fun that way...
TarotistNov 14, 2017 6:42 AM
Sep 17, 2017 12:06 AM

Jan 2017
The whole thing with Sumeragi's nails was completely unnecessary. lol It was a good episode though
Sep 17, 2017 12:53 AM

Dec 2016

So, the last episode will be about the president vs yumeko? If i understood well :s
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Sep 17, 2017 12:58 AM
Nov 2016
So, finally Jabami put that little shit biscuit down....

Manyuda pulled a Ken kaneki and got his hair to turn white. Plot twist: he is a ghoul, he comes back and kills everyone.

Man oh man, that Student Council president is scary.
Sep 17, 2017 1:19 AM

May 2017
Seiyuus nailed it this episode, especially Hayami Saori. I got chills.
Sumeragi's character development was so necessary, and it was wonderful to watch. Finally we're going to witness Kaichou and Yumeko's encounter, though I don't think there will be enough time for an entire game, seeing how long the Manyuda arc took.
Manyuda just did a Kaneki, but with how much I've hated him from the beginning, I couldn't even pity him when he lost that game.
I feel like Yumeko is a female Tsukiyama, but more likeable.
Lack of commentary from Suzuki and Mary. I'm questioning his role in this: is he just a fly on the wall?
the universe has moved for us
there wasn’t even a little miss
Sep 17, 2017 1:38 AM
Dec 2015
I wish Manyuda challenge Kuuhaku and beat them to become king and queen of inanity. Can Kuuhaku beat anyone in the school?

On another note usually old traditional families like the President's hate twins. They kill/ imprison one for them for life. How the heck that other girl survived. Are they allies or enemies of each other so it's the older twin and more importantly who is the actual HEAD of the family. Both of them cannot be!!

This show has become ABIT more interesting.

And more importantly isn't that b***h president helping out some of the council like she did for that tea ceremony girl.
anirudhsukiSep 17, 2017 1:48 AM
Sep 17, 2017 1:46 AM
Dec 2015
[\quote]
In a way, this is like NGNL to me.[/quote] NGNL was way better in than this, I doubt many will disagree.
Sep 17, 2017 1:54 AM
Oct 2007
A fitting climax to this arc. I enjoyed this a lot mainly because of the good execution and art!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2017 2:02 AM
Mar 2015
anirudhsuki said:
[\quote]
NGNL was way better in than this, I doubt many will disagree.[/quote]

depends
NGNL has more god-like know-it all scene. Someone that likes OP and unbeatable characters will prefer NGNL. Kakegurui has some too, but most of the time it's just gamble (luckiness) with simple tricks that you can wrap over your head.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2017

178 by reveluvie0 »»
Apr 24, 5:22 AM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2017

373 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 19, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2017

149 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 18, 11:14 AM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2017

119 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 17, 8:06 PM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2017

182 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 17, 8:03 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.