Forum Settings
Forums

Your favorite/least favorite types of anime characters?

New
Jun 25, 2017 1:33 PM

May 2017
This is my first post in the anime discussion so go easy on me :P

I'm not just talking about "dere" types but mainly just "types" of characters that you like/dislike

For instance, my favorites are badass mcs, traps and reverse traps, yanderes, Evangelion characters, male characters that I'd go gay for an an instant, and delinquents
My least favorites are definitely TSUNDERES, danderes, danderes with glasses, clumsy danderes with glasses, male harem mcs that can't do anything, Umaru, Umaru's weak-ass brother, and "cock-blocking" girls who always get in the way
daddyknivesJun 25, 2017 1:50 PM
Jun 25, 2017 1:36 PM

Jul 2015
my fav type
girls : loyal / shy / cute / very kind / innocent
boys : smart / ruthless / hate the real world x)

my least fav type? i think everyone know already lol
Jun 25, 2017 1:39 PM

May 2015
favorite type of character: good ones
least favorite type of character: bad ones
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jun 25, 2017 1:42 PM

Nov 2016
I don't really have a preference and even my list of favorite character confirms it, since they're all too diferent.

But my female favs are kinda tomboyish I guess, more or less.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 25, 2017 1:43 PM

Dec 2014
My favorite kind of character is a well written antagonist.

My least favorite kind of characters are one note characters with no character development, useless characters and the "I will kill all... " MCs.
Jun 25, 2017 1:45 PM

May 2017
RainyRai said:
favorite type of character: good ones
least favorite type of character: bad ones

Good characters are disgusting
Bad character master race
Jun 25, 2017 1:46 PM
Aug 2016
I don't have fav or less fav anime/manga types of characters, but I usually can't stand the stupid ones, or the ones that bullyes the others, but that don't applies to all characters, for example, Katsuki from Boku no hero academia, who bullyes Izuku, I really love Kacchan, even tho he's a bully. I also can't stand the characters that act like they know everything, and they are better than everyone else. Those are the characters I hate tho most. And I'm ok with others types of characters, I don't have preferences.
Jun 25, 2017 1:47 PM

Feb 2015
I hate characters with a diamond plot armor.
I like tomboys, charismatic and badass characters mostly. I also find snarky characters entertaining for some reason.
Jun 25, 2017 1:47 PM

Jul 2013
It really depends of the character, really. I don't have a determinate preference, and my favourite characters are all different from each other, but, if i can list some examples:

The same applies to characters I dislike. I can dislike a character for a determinate reason, the same way I can hate another different character for another different motive.
If I have to pick something, however, would be those boring MC without personality who can be replaced by an eggplant and nothing will change, of the likes of Tatsumi from Akame ga Kill! or the MC from Witchcraft Works.

Now, if we talk about waifus, that is another differen thing...
Jun 25, 2017 1:49 PM

May 2012
My favorite types of anime are the ones where the characters have deep seated psychological issues and sci fi shit.

Least favorite. People like Eren from attack on titan. Loud and stupid with no depth. THOTS. And characters will no flaws.
Jun 25, 2017 1:53 PM

Jun 2017
Hm... I have a soft spot for anti heroes/ villains that aren't just there for plot progression, but that are made to have unique personalities and characteristics. On the other end of the spectrum, I like character's that consistently help others/ are just good people. However, these types of character's must have some type of flaw or well written goal, or else they'll start to seem "generic", for the lack of a better description.

For characters that I dislike, I dislike character's who are villains/heroes without a cause other than to destroy the hero/villain of the story. I also dislike character's who are unnecessarily rude or mean, for obvious reasons.

:)
Sour Patch Kids. Sweet, sour,
Jun 25, 2017 1:55 PM

Jan 2013
I don't really have a favorite type - I generally like characters I can feel for or relate to in some way, or the ones that inspire me. My least favorite type is probably that typical clueless guy from almost every harem anime and loud, hyperactive female characters with high-pitched voices like Otosaka Ayumi from Charlotte.
Jun 25, 2017 1:59 PM

Jan 2014
I'm a sucker for characters who are happy/funny with tragic or sad backstories. My least favorite are the strong and silent overpowered types who have no other traits to them.

Jun 25, 2017 2:07 PM
Nov 2014
I enjoy a bit sophisticated characters who can't be sorted as good nor bad, who develop throughout the series so you can tell the difference between their persona at the beginning and at the end.

What I despise are "strong female leads", strong meaning only their ability to punch guy dead in the jaw, strong meaning not accepting anyone's help only to play the tragic heroine, strong meaning being abusive only to excuse their behaviour as means of showing affection.

Jun 25, 2017 2:20 PM

Jun 2016
My least favourite characters are ones who obsess over their loved one I.e. Mikasa and Gasai Yuno
My favourite ones are ones that make me laugh or ones that care for others.
Jun 25, 2017 2:26 PM

Jul 2010
Can't say I have a particular favorite. I'm pretty open to any type as long as they're written well. I can love a tsundere character in one anime and hate one in another.

Least favorite, though? Outside of the usual generic bland harem lead that I always bitch about, I'm not a huge fan of pervert characters who only care about women of a certain body type or trait (usually big breasts,) and any other woman who doesn't fit that type they don't even acknowledge no matter how pretty they still are. I can usually enjoy pervert characters fine when they're that dopey, innocent Johnny Bravo-type, but those types always frustrate and annoy me.

Also, really condescending characters who talk down to the main hero for no reason and without proving themselves. Usually they're the rival characters, which is one of my favorite anime tropes, but I'm more talking the ones that come across less like seasoned badasses or overconfident jerks and more like whiny little bitches who desperately need to be punched in the mouth.
Jun 25, 2017 3:15 PM

Jan 2014
Tsundere girls have a place in my heart
Jun 25, 2017 3:22 PM

Jun 2016
The ones that feel real and developed versus the ones that feel fake and disregarded.
Jun 25, 2017 3:24 PM

Jun 2015
My favourites are usually characters that make me laugh. Least favourites are shy characters and tsunderes.
DessssyJun 25, 2017 3:28 PM
:)
Jun 25, 2017 3:35 PM

Feb 2016
I actually like wimps like Shinji so much that scares me. And for girls i usually enjoy characters like Yuri from Penguindrum or Benten from Uchouten Kazoku. Senjougahara too but she's really unique and i can't think of what category i would put her.
Jun 25, 2017 3:39 PM

Jul 2014
Multi-faceted, idiosyncratic characters generally tend to appeal to me while my least favourites are bland, hollow MCs and one dimensional villains who do despicable shit without any real motivation (however, this can be done well though that largely depends on the tone of the series).
Take care of yourself

Jun 25, 2017 8:23 PM

Oct 2013
For characters I like I would say for the most part Im a fan of strong willed individuals like these guys
will just quote myself in regards to the kinds of characters I don't like
Jun 25, 2017 8:26 PM

May 2014
The more annoying they are, the more I dislike them.
Jun 25, 2017 8:30 PM

Apr 2017
Hmm Let's see

>Ditzy Clumsy Ones (For Heroines BTW)

>Pragmatic Type of MCs

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jun 25, 2017 8:34 PM

Apr 2017
perve said:
danderes, danderes with glasses, clumsy danderes with glasses
lmao you sure hate danderes

i like yanderes and some harem mcs that ended up choosing one girl. i hate tsunderes, male mcs that are dishonest with themseleves

still life: pink roses
Jun 25, 2017 9:18 PM

Mar 2012
Favorite: Anyone that's like Conrad, (over) protective, selfless, kind, loyal.

Least Favorite: Generic ABUSIVE TSUNDERES who destroy the series, no it's not least favorite I honesty hate them.
Jun 25, 2017 9:40 PM
Jul 2018
Those who bitch and whine without trying to self-improve themselves.

Chaos;head's MC comes to mind
Jun 25, 2017 9:54 PM
Jun 2017
my favorite types are smart, funny sassy, determined.
my least favorite types are full of them selfs, over quoting assholes.
Jun 25, 2017 10:03 PM
Sep 2015
Favorite types: Characters that are relatable or are like role models who know their shit in their stories.
Least Favorite Types: Them Harem MC's that don't have balls, or are dense af.
Jun 25, 2017 11:07 PM

Jan 2010
I hate
- Most Tsundere Girls. [Mikoto, Kurisu, Haruhi]
- Bossy Girls that treats others like shit. [Sakura, Nami, Haruhi]
- Manipulative Bitch. [Nami]
- Incredibly perverted Guy. [The fat guy in Air Gear]
- Dumb guys that accepted being hit or punched or kicked by violence tsundere girl (and dumb enough to actually fall for that same tsundere).
- Useless Girls. Especially those girls who actually have ability/powers. She actually can fight but ended up doing nothing (or worse, let herself get captured by the enemy or something). [Shiemi, Sakura, Chrome]
- Spoiled Girls. (Himederes, Sena]
- Overly noisy or talkative Girls.
- Girls that can't be honest with herself. Denying everything. This trait mostly belongs to tsunderes.
- Noisy airheaded Girls.
- A strong willed girls, cool, strict, calm, and collected, respected by all of her friends or subordinates, BUT when around the one she like, she turned all shy and lost her cool and worse, she slowly turned from the once a cool leader to a shy and soft teenage girl in love. Well if it's only once in a while it's understandable, as long as it don't interfere with her character and her capabilities. [Yui]
- Overly dense characters it's not even funny [Harem/reverse harem protags]

I like
- Cold, calm, stoic, collected, emotionless, expressionless. [Mikasa, Morgiana, Robin, Kikyo, Kanade, Nagato Yuki, Ulquiorra, Hei, Hibari, Tsumugu, Erwin, Eucliwood, Nino, Homura, Todoroki]
- Strong, badass. [Levi, Hei, Alucard, All Might, Kagura, Morgiana, Mikasa, Toph, Revy, Black Star, Erza, Bakugou]
- Yandere/yangire. [Rena, Yuno]
- Sadists and merciless. [Yukimura, Neuro, Eustass, Bakugou]
- Genius, intelligent, clever, strategist, perceptive, confident. [Erwin, L, Shinichi, Neuro, Oreki, Kenma]
- All of the above + sadist and manipulative Guys. [Karma, Neuro]
- Arrogant/cocky, self-centered, independent, sharp tongued/foul mouthed Guys, sometimes look down on others, sometimes is an asshole/jerk, but not only talk, they can prove they don't only talk big but have actual impressive talents/skills. [Aomine, Atobe, Bakugou, Eustass, Black Star, Yukimura]
- Silent, don't talk much, mysterious. [Nagato Yuki, Ulquiorra, Hei, Hibari, Eucliwood, Kikyo]
- A somewhat childish Guys but can be counted on when matters. [Gintoki, Kuro, Bakugou, Black Star]
- Strong, powerful, determinded Guys with anger issues/a badass hot-head. [Eustass, Bakugou, Eren]
- Somewhat of a tsundere Guys. [Law, Levi, Bakugou, Hibari, Sanada, Inuyasha, Hijikata]
- My personal self-insert, a combination of: Shy, awkward, fangirl/fanboy/otaku/fujoshi. [Juvia, Bartholomew, Deku, Erika, Nagato Yuki (the human one, not the alien)]

But the one I'm most attracted to is either strong, powerful and/or genius, intelligent character.
CrimsonMidnightJun 25, 2017 11:43 PM
Jun 26, 2017 2:04 AM

Feb 2017
The best type of characters for me:
>In general, characters that aren't based almost or entirely on stereotypes or cliche-tropes. It's like they are creating characters from a previous or default molds, so they doesn't feel, let's say, relatable or if you can identify with any of them.
-Funny characters
>In specific
-Like Hiyori Tamura (Lucky Star) I feel identified with that kind of character because like her, I also like to draw manga (but I don't like BL or GL like her) and all the situations that happens to the people who like to draw manga. For example, when I try to draw something but it doesn't happen like the way I want. Or when I try to come with any interesting ideas but nothing come to me...
-Somehow I feel identified with Tomoko Kuroki (WataMote!) (Well, a LOT identified with her) I'm not so social, but I didn't fell to the level of a social hermit.
-Konata Izumi (Lucky Star) for the most obvious reasons: anime fan, gamer, spouting anime, manga, movies and any other references with my friends...

Some examples from characters I hate:
-Yuno Gasai (Mirai Nikki) Obsessive (and ridicule) psychopath.
-Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto) He only highlights the orphan feature (apparently the only semi-interesting trait about him) from the typical, shounen MC. Clumsy, sometimes absurd and obsessive about bringing Sasuke Uchiha back to Konohagakure.
-Sasuke Uchiha (Naruto) Annoying, selfish, pesky, tedious, and frustrating character. It doesn't fill entirely the role of a rival, or a villain, or anything in particular. For me, he doesn't have any purpose in particular to the whole series.
-Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece) By the few episodes I've seen about the series. Monkey D. Luffy seems to be the most annoying, unlikeable and goofy character among the rest of the characters in One Piece. Both design, personality and every related to him repels me.
-Tae Shimura (Gintama) One of the main reasons I've dropped Gintama after the Yagyu Kyubey arc. Instead of being the "tsukkomi" or the correct character above all the nonsense of the Yorozuya gang, she becomes a ridiculously stubborn, annoying, irritating and nasty character from all the rest of Gintama (the second one should be Yagyu Kyubey, the third one should be Kamui, Kagura's brother, etc)
-Characters like Shinji Ikari (Neon Genesis Evangelion) or Yukiteru Amane (Mirai Nikki) who are depressive, almost like crybaby characters that doesn't progress or evolve as the story goes on.
-Tsundere characters
-Yandere characters
-Hypersexualized characters (Characters made only to physically appealing but doesn't have a well-developed personality)
-Goofy, absurd and dumb characters who are trying to be funny in a comedy-themed series.
-Sister characters who are obsessed/in love with her brother.

That's all I can remember...
We are EVERYWHERE...
Jun 26, 2017 2:55 AM

Oct 2015
I love badass girls with justified strength.

I hate Lelouch.
I'm tired of Tsunderes
I hate generic yanderes (Yuno)
I hate every LN protagonist
I hate goody-two-shoes MCs with that generic black-haired / dumb-faced look.
Jun 26, 2017 3:25 AM
Apr 2017
Favourite: Good villains who are assholes.
Least favourite: Plot armor powered MCs that win no matter what.
Jun 26, 2017 6:51 AM

Aug 2015
Male
Favourite: Someone logical, not dense and is at least smart enough to be independent.
Hate: Dense as lead characters who can't take a hint.

Female
Favourite: Caring, smart person who is semi-independent and generally just sweet.
Hate: Someone like Chitoge, a stuck-up bitch who doesn't care at all.
Jun 26, 2017 7:00 AM
Jul 2018
Least favorite? I don't believe I have 'em.
But favorite yes - those characters I find relatable to myself and have common personality traits with.
Jun 26, 2017 7:06 AM

Aug 2015
Love- lovable, cheerful, pretty
Hate- spoil brats, smug bitches
Jun 26, 2017 8:43 AM

Oct 2015
Male
Favorites : Cool, smart, badass
Hate : Dumb, retarded and dense MC

Female
Favorites : Shy, smart, caring, and have a short hair
Hate : Annoying and abusive tsundere

Click the spinning
ghost for delivery (~‾▽‾)~
Jun 26, 2017 8:48 AM
Jul 2018
Favorite:
- In general, characters with more down-to-earth or differentiated characterists with hidden depths. Characters, who have many strengths and are likeable (to me), but also heavily flawed, understandable negative emotions, have quirks and struggles and make mistakes at the same time. Just those, who feel more real to me.

Or to say: where I personally see hidden depths. I know that everyone has a different / his own opinion on what makes a well written character and that's okay.

- But for more specific characteristics: characters who care about others or a special person in general and are loyal towards them. They are my softest spot. <3
Especially with the little bit of the tough shell with the softer core. X)
But I also like softer ones on the outside and rays of sunshine, if they don't feel dull at the same time.

Least favorite:

- Badasses, overly edgelords and kind of psychopaths for the sake of being badass as protagonists.
But I can really like psychopathic characters, if they are written well as villains. I love to despise a character as a person, but love as a character, who let me think: that's a good made character.
It's a precondition to me that they aren't that way, because the author thought this would be cool or edgy.
And I don't want those people as mcs. ^^"
I just cringe when they are romanticized by author or fans.

- Characters, who are made as gateways and self inserts for the audience. Especially when they try to fulfill "power-fantasies" of the audience.
This especially concerns to all the "strong" female characters, who aren't strong at all (maybe physically, but I'm really not that impressed by physical and combat strength) and just dumb brats towards everyone.

- Characters who don't feel dynamic. Especially those, who are so level-headed that they come off more like a robot than a human (or other xD) being and NEVER act towards their feelings.
removed-userJun 26, 2017 8:55 AM
Jun 26, 2017 8:55 AM

Jun 2016
Fave characters: Funny and overly adorable ones like Nyanko-sensei and Yato, genius like Light Yagami, gorgeous like Levi, good CD like Takashi Natsume, full of shenanigans like Yuuko from Nichijou and Tooru Taki from Natsume Yuujinchou, strong female character like Mikasa Ackerman and the rest of Studio Ghibli women, and inspirational character like Koro-sensei.

Least fave: Every freaking character in romance show (except Ore Monogatari!!)

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 26, 2017 9:36 AM

Apr 2017
My least favorite is a weak MC like the one in Tokyo Ghouls first season. Frustrating to watch the MC constantly cry and be beaten to a pulp.

More topics from this board

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

55 by Scyfher »»
7 minutes ago

» When was the last time you felt happy/satisfied after watching an anime episode? :)

Rinrinka - Mar 27

15 by bucciest »»
14 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - Today

47 by Pinoffin »»
15 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Today

6 by IpreferEcchi »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching

deg - Apr 14

49 by Kenzolo-folk »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.