Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 2, 2017 11:28 AM

Aug 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION THREAD. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

- This thread is only about this episode. If you want to discuss (future) events from the manga, please use the manga board.
- Do not spam in this thread. This isn't a chat thread or your twitter.
- Do not ask where to watch this episode or post links to the episode.
- Trolling/baiting/abuse/harassment will not be tolerated.

For more information see the Anime Series Episode Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.

The thread will be unlocked once the episode has finished airing. It is made in advance due to the overwhelming popularity of the show. This helps prevent spamming and baiting as well as duplicate episode discussion threads.
ArdanazJun 3, 2017 6:27 AM
Jun 3, 2017 6:27 AM

Nov 2011
Ah, Connie's mother...definitely something suspicous about that village where she came from.

I love how Eren just goes batshit on Reiner since their betrayal.

Regarding Ymir, I think it's interesting that she begins to think about the side to choose since her best interest is Krista. Reiner's interest and promise really serves as building bridge alliance for him and Ymir. I don't think either one trusts each other thogh.

Found it interesting that they gave more insight and depth into Ymir's past including her life as a Titan. Very interesting. The scene of Ymir catching Krista in the mouth gave me chills.
Jun 3, 2017 6:28 AM

Nov 2015
Ymir looked so cute when she was young and the people praising her were creepy. And Eren was hilarious when he tried to take down Reiner with no hands.

Jun 3, 2017 6:34 AM

Aug 2012
Episode 35 End Card illustrated by Erika NISHIHARA

Jun 3, 2017 6:39 AM

Apr 2017
eren punching reiner without hands is so funny lmao and poor ymir tho her past

still life: pink roses
Jun 3, 2017 6:46 AM

Aug 2012
Oh man I can't believed they show that much of Ymir's past O.O
Jun 3, 2017 6:58 AM

Oct 2013
Never thought they would show literally everything in Ymir backstory, this chapter came out literally month ago. It was really good episode regardless, I think Isayama told the anime team to include it so viewers will get more familiar with all these foreshadowing, so when we reach that point it will feel natural to viewers and not out of the blue, because he has dropped hints, but very subtle hints that your average anime only may not pay attention to.

I saw some persons saying the series is going anime original, calm down,

Seeing a scene that came out literally month go being animated feels great though. :D
keragammingJun 3, 2017 7:01 AM
Jun 3, 2017 7:21 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
keragamming said:
Never thought they would show literally everything in Ymir backstory, this chapter came out literally month ago. It was really good episode regardless, I think Isayama told the anime team to include it so viewers will get more familiar with all these foreshadowing, so when we reach that point it will feel natural to viewers and not out of the blue, because he has dropped hints, but very subtle hints that your average anime only may not pay attention to.

Seeing a scene that came out literally month go being animated feels great though. :D
Lmao, I'm very surprised that they did this....I'm not sure how I feel about it in the long run thoughh because I don't think that most anime original audiences won't pick up on this reveal after seeing this
Jun 3, 2017 7:22 AM
Jul 2018
Why the heck did they do that for!!??
Jun 3, 2017 7:23 AM

Oct 2013
Tokoya said:
keragamming said:

Lmao, I'm very surprised that they did this....I'm not sure how I feel about it in the long run thoughh because I don't think that most anime original audiences won't pick up on this reveal after seeing this

Let's see how they react to this flashback.
Jun 3, 2017 7:26 AM

May 2016
Manga readers, remember: animeonlies might not get the full picture since they don't have context for these scenes (like with last week's Marco scene). Don't confirm, nor deny any of their theories. (gdi WIT, you're just making it more difficult to avoid spoilers)
Jun 3, 2017 7:42 AM

Aug 2012
my understanding without manga background is that some heretics were found inside the walls and then forced to transform into titans and expelled from wall maria.
Jun 3, 2017 7:46 AM

Jul 2014
ymir's past! omg
Jun 3, 2017 7:56 AM

Aug 2016
Looking closely to the OP i've been thinking about somthing:
We see 6 humans with a glow inside, but we also see some animals have them but not all of them ( there was a scene with two eagles having them, yet in the same scene the fox diden't)
Does that perhaps mean that animals can also transform into titans?
Jun 3, 2017 7:57 AM

Aug 2013
mikasa in the next episode preview looks really creepy.
IoloJun 3, 2017 4:04 PM
My Candies:
Jun 3, 2017 7:59 AM

Oct 2015
Very good episode as usual. Ymir's past was interesting and we have more clues about the titans, that's good. Nevertheless my heart can't stand the cliffhangers anymore :( I'm looking forward to the next episode and I think once the season 2 will be over I will begin to read the manga !
Jun 3, 2017 7:59 AM

Mar 2016
SO MUCH TO TAKE IN

okay ymir i still have faith in you bUT WHY DID U GO I HOPE U HAVE A PLAN SMH

Jun 3, 2017 8:06 AM

Feb 2016
Oh my god that was amazing.
A lot of revelation in this episode :o
I can't wait to know more about the titans' origin
Jun 3, 2017 8:07 AM

Jun 2013
I swear Ymir was annoying before but now knowing her back story I hate her even more hope she dies a brutal death. But Eren fight with his elbows is hilarious
Jun 3, 2017 8:10 AM

Dec 2015
Amazing episode, a lot of new information. Soundtracks are on another level as always
VladPJun 3, 2017 8:20 AM
Jun 3, 2017 8:11 AM

Aug 2013
Another amazing episode.

Interesting focus on Ymir's past.

I'm going to start reading the manga. The cliffhangers are killing me.

Jun 3, 2017 8:12 AM

Oct 2011
Wow didn't think they'd jump ahead again in the manga. Ymir's backstory in this episode was the best part, animated so well. 5/5
Jun 3, 2017 8:18 AM

Mar 2014
Good episode though as the season draws to an end I don't know how i feel about the focus of this ep being entirely on Ymir. not that i dislike her, i just suspect that shit is about to get down, definitely something involving the beast titan so i guess i'm a bit anxious. in any case, Ymir's past was very interesting. She has Krista on her mind but it still annoys me that she is amenable to an alliance with Reiner and Bert.

Apparently Ymir and others were turned into titans as a punishment and they were forced to live outside the walls. I am not sure if I made the right connection but seems like she turned back into human once she ate one. idk if i'm right though. i mean, Eren was turned into a titan too but he hasn't eaten anyone and he could always turn at will. I imagine we'll get more details on this but I can't help but speculate.
Jun 3, 2017 8:23 AM

Aug 2012
What an episode the tense is in there and I like how they portrayed Ymir's past.
Jun 3, 2017 8:29 AM
Aug 2016
I know anime-only won't fully understand Ymir's flashback, but they did show quite a lot already, damn. Also loved the music there.

And at the end

So looking forward to the next 2 episodes!
Jun 3, 2017 8:29 AM

Aug 2015
Sincerly as a manga reader "WHAT THE FUCK?????"
Jun 3, 2017 8:32 AM

Jul 2013
Cannot believe this will end in 2 episodes more.
Jun 3, 2017 8:34 AM

Dec 2014
Pretty interesting episode.

They sure included a lot of interesting new things and hints, but there's really nothing to draw conclusions from I guess. Based on Ymir and Bertholdt's conversation and Ymir's backstory, these are the things that I think are noteworthy and some random thoughts I have on what was revealed.

-Reiner said something about 'Coordinate' which probably refers to some kind of location? The basement?

-Bertholdt seems to ask Ymir if she remembers the human she ate, which is the dude from Reiner and Bertholdt's flashback to which she replies she doesn't. Bertholdt says that he doesn't remember the human he ate as well and Reiner also comments that Eren doesn't seem to remember as well. Based on this, it seems possible that everyone capable of transforming into a titan has to have eaten a human when they were in their titan state, this somehow triggers them to change back into human form and gives them the ability transform at will.

-Ymir's flashback seems to take place well into the past, 60+ years based on what she told Bertholdt. I'm assuming this means she wandered outside the wall for 60 years before eating that dude. That's a pretty long time and this also raises the question of aging. Ymir doesn't seem to have aged much, how does this work on Eren? We've seen Eren grow up from a kid, so does this mean Eren gained his powers way back when he was a kid or even before?

-Ymir was injected with something before becoming a titan, was being changed into a titan some, sort of cult punishment for humanity 60 years in the past? Though, now it's really likely that Titans are nothing more than drug morphed humans . Considering that it's very viable that the 'Church' is the string puller, is this whole Titan experiment just a powerplay for them to reign supreme and control humanity?

-Beast Titan may be someone from Ymir's original time period since he finds all the new stuff fascinating.

- The cycle seems to be Human->Titan Drug Injection->Titan->Eat Human->TitanShifter

I'm probably way off on most of the things but based on what we've learnt till date that's what I think.

Ymir is quite obsessed with Christa. :o
Next episode looks great.
Jun 3, 2017 8:35 AM
May 2017
That Titan from the OVA was there, now we know why he said 'Ymir-sama' :p
Jun 3, 2017 8:35 AM
Feb 2009
Danae said:
i mean, Eren was turned into a titan too but he hasn't eaten anyone and he could always turn at will. I imagine we'll get more details on this but I can't help but speculate.

At one point (around 6min45), they say :

"
Ymir : Sorry... for not even remembering.
Bertolt : It's not your fault for forgetting. It was the same for us, too. Eren does't seem to remember either."

I'm just guessing, but it's possible the first time we saw Eren "turned into a titan" was not actually the first time. And... he has already changed one time, maybe even eating someone (and he does not remember) ?

Jun 3, 2017 8:36 AM

Jun 2015
Got to see more backstory for Ymir. Her life is full of lies. She felt connected to Christa because she was living the same way as her. Now she's willing to do anything to be with her. Eren fighting Reiner was funny.
Jun 3, 2017 8:36 AM

Nov 2016
Great Episode.

The clothes of the officers who arrested Ymir looked different.

Either that's how the police looked like 60 years ago or she lived in another civilization than Eren's or something else.
Hex-OneJun 3, 2017 8:41 AM
Jun 3, 2017 8:40 AM

Mar 2014
Rukodaime said:
Danae said:
i mean, Eren was turned into a titan too but he hasn't eaten anyone and he could always turn at will. I imagine we'll get more details on this but I can't help but speculate.

"
Bertolt : It's not your fault for forgetting. It was the same for us, too. Eren does't seem to remember either."

I'm just guessing, but it's possible the first time we saw Eren "turned into a titan" was not actually the first time. And... he has already changed one time, maybe even eating someone (and he does not remember) ?

yuup, you're right. Maybe in the forest when he was injected (?) I noticed that quote too but I thought that if something so important had happened we would've seen it in the first season. But maybe they obscured it. I guess we'll see, it's just that seeing solely those flashbacks is kind of confusing (to me at least). And I don't think we'll get all the answers in the next two eps, what with the upcoming fight and all.
Jun 3, 2017 8:42 AM

Jun 2014
If you can summarize an episode in 1 sentence, you know that episode wasted a lot of time on pointless stuffs.

Again, same situation for the past few episodes already. Really disappointing.
Jun 3, 2017 8:47 AM

Jan 2015
Aahh, a confession? For Christa? I'd like to see that "moment". But I guess there's no such thing for that?
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jun 3, 2017 8:48 AM

Apr 2017
Iolo said:
mikasa in the next episode preview looks really creepy.
WTF HAHA THIS IS HILARIOUS I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE CTFUUUU

Jun 3, 2017 8:48 AM

Nov 2016
Danae said:
Rukodaime said:

"

yuup, you're right. Maybe in the forest when he was injected (?) I noticed that quote too but I thought that if something so important had happened we would've seen it in the first season. But maybe they obscured it. I guess we'll see, it's just that seeing solely those flashbacks is kind of confusing (to me at least). And I don't think we'll get all the answers in the next two eps, what with the upcoming fight and all.

If he did become a mindless titan then he probably returned back to normal faster or something because his father didn't age.
Jun 3, 2017 8:50 AM

Apr 2017
sonicfan7474 said:
I swear Ymir was annoying before but now knowing her back story I hate her even more hope she dies a brutal death. But Eren fight with his elbows is hilarious
different opinions i guess,,,, i hated her back then but after knowing her back story i came to like and understand her

Jun 3, 2017 9:00 AM

Dec 2016
woah this is gonna confuse the hell out of a lot of people
Jun 3, 2017 9:01 AM

Dec 2016
woah this is gonna confuse the hell out of a lot of people
Jun 3, 2017 9:01 AM

Jun 2013
Believe me I felt empathy for her past and everything up until she said she would risk ruining Christa/Historia's future just because she was nice to her while betraying Eren. I don't know maybe I'm being biased but it's unfair in my book.
Jun 3, 2017 9:06 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Lelouch0202 said:
Pretty interesting episode.

They sure included a lot of interesting new things and hints, but there's really nothing to draw conclusions from I guess. Based on Ymir and Bertholdt's conversation and Ymir's backstory, these are the things that I think are noteworthy and some random thoughts I have on what was revealed.

-Reiner said something about 'Coordinate' which probably refers to some kind of location? The basement?

-Bertholdt seems to ask Ymir if she remembers the human she ate, which is the dude from Reiner and Bertholdt's flashback to which she replies she doesn't. Bertholdt says that he doesn't remember the human he ate as well and Reiner also comments that Eren doesn't seem to remember as well. Based on this, it seems possible that everyone capable of transforming into a titan has to have eaten a human when they were in their titan state, this somehow triggers them to change back into human form and gives them the ability transform at will.

-Ymir's flashback seems to take place well into the past, 60+ years based on what she told Bertholdt. I'm assuming this means she wandered outside the wall for 60 years before eating that dude. That's a pretty long time and this also raises the question of aging. Ymir doesn't seem to have aged much, how does this work on Eren? We've seen Eren grow up from a kid, so does this mean Eren gained his powers way back when he was a kid or even before?

-Ymir was injected with something before becoming a titan, was being changed into a titan some, sort of cult punishment for humanity 60 years in the past? Though, now it's really likely that Titans are nothing more than drug morphed humans . Considering that it's very viable that the 'Church' is the string puller, is this whole Titan experiment just a powerplay for them to reign supreme and control humanity?

-Beast Titan may be someone from Ymir's original time period since he finds all the new stuff fascinating.

- The cycle seems to be Human->Titan Drug Injection->Titan->Eat Human->TitanShifter

I'm probably way off on most of the things but based on what we've learnt till date that's what I think.

Ymir is quite obsessed with Christa. :o
Next episode looks great.
Very intuitive post you got here brother but hypothetically speaking, since Ymir said that she's been a Titan for 60 years, it implies that aging does not occur when they're in Titan form and so that's why in current times, she hasn't aged much at all since then
Jun 3, 2017 9:07 AM

Dec 2016
I'll admit, that episode was MUCH MUCH better than I was expecting it to be. Still surprised they showed the Ymir flashback all the way back here. That's crazy. 5/5!
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”

-Donquixote Doflamingo, One Piece
Jun 3, 2017 9:08 AM

Nov 2016
I definitely appreciate the little rearrange of Ymirs backstory, I think including it at this point goes better with the flow of the story. And its also nice to get surprised with something you totally didn't expect.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 3, 2017 9:13 AM

Oct 2013
Benio_ said:
If you can summarize an episode in 1 sentence, you know that episode wasted a lot of time on pointless stuffs.

Again, same situation for the past few episodes already. Really disappointing.

Pointless stuff? Everything that the character spoke of were hints to future events in the series. Heck you guys should not even had gotten Ymir flashback, that chapter came out just a few month ago in the manga.

If you stop and actually use your brain, you could piece together a lot of thing, especially from Ymir backstory. Snk at times is very cryptic and vague, but honestly Ymir flashback really gave away a lot of things.

But you are here saying this episode had a lot of pointless stuff! Are you kidding me?? This comment really triggered me, we manga readers had scrap to feed off of each month, while you anime only literally got a big ass hint in front of your face, but yet here you are complaining, about pointless stuff.

Stop being lazy and use brain for once, You ain't going to get spoon feed this season.

@Tokoya I guess you overestimate some anime only watcher, this person claim this episode had pointless stuff. its like everything went over this person head. lol

Jun 2014
I didn't think they would show Ymir's backstory at this point, but it fits well considering everything that's going on right now.

EDIT: Yep, just double checked the manga and this backstory doesn't happen for another 40 chapters. Crazy to think we hypothetically shouldn't be seeing this until season 4 (or season 3 if it's 25 episodes) but they're showing it now. Although I thought it was weird at first for them to be including way-off-into-the-future flashbacks in this season, I feel like in the grand scheme of things, it fits and makes certain things make more sense.
thebrentinator24Jun 3, 2017 9:21 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 2015
Wow Ymir's past was sad. I do wonder why did those people kick Ymir and the others down the wall

Jun 3, 2017 9:16 AM
Sep 2015
My AOT OTP shining <33
ymir x christa

m all good
Jun 3, 2017 9:16 AM

Dec 2014
Well, I'm an anime only viewer, but I can tell that they dropped some big hints here!

First, the fact that they talked about Eren being (maybe) the "Coordinate", which I really have no idea what could mean, but at least we have a reason why also Annie was trying to kidnap him.

Then, the fact about Ymir staying 60 years outside the wall, which means probably Titan shifters do not age after they transformed for the first time, or at least when they are in Titan form.

I think the most important thing was in Ymir past, especially when we see her and others being thrown off a wall and then a lighting: they are basically telling us that Titans have been created by humans as a sort of punishment (or weapon?). Anyway, everything seems to be related to the Church.

Finally, the fact that they transform back after eating a human is interesting, there could be a link to the reason why Titans eat humans even if they do not need food. Still, not every Titan which eats a human turns back into a titan shifter (at least, I don't think so), so I'm still missing something here.

Ah, and we have confirmation on Connie's mother, but it was pretty obvious. Still, it's important because people will start to realize something more about the truth.

PS: I probably said a lot of stupid things in there (at least for manga readers), but I wanted to share my thoughts.
Jun 3, 2017 9:17 AM

May 2015
All the pieces of the puzzle are there now for you anime-only scrubs.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - May 12, 2017

496 by Magicallykitten »»
Apr 13, 4:26 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - May 6, 2017

931 by Angel_crush1 »»
Mar 31, 5:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - Jun 15, 2017

689 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 14, 11:16 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - Apr 21, 2017

465 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Mar 14, 12:17 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - Jun 9, 2017

525 by Apreggi »»
Mar 11, 5:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.