Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 21, 2010 10:18 PM

Apr 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
A short but inspiring manga. Taneda's dead got me by surprise, I thought he was going to be alright after that accident but nope. Asano Inio did a fantastic job drawing the sad and tragic moments, I'm going to read more of his work.

Beatnik is right, I saw the Solanin film adaptation trailer, and they gave everything away, not worth watching.

8-9/10
TuzoAnimeFeb 21, 2010 10:30 PM
Mar 4, 2010 12:34 PM

Sep 2009
TuzoAnime said:
Taneda's dead got me by surprise, I thought he was going to be alright after that accident but nope.

same here. i thought he'd just end up alright in hospital or something. still, i really, really enjoyed it. awesome story.

shame about the film trailer though, haha.
Apr 13, 2010 3:33 PM

Nov 2008
I'm the minority here but I thought this manga sucked. The angsty female protagonist and her loser boyfriend who supposedly a guitar player. Maybe I'm just being an elitist because I'm in college and wonder why the couple preferred to skip the option of college and lay around doing nothing and rely on being in a relationship and hoping that it won't end. On top of that, Meiko is dumb enough to think that her shaky relationship with her boyfriend will make her forget about real life troubles, such as money and having a good social life.

My bias made this manga torture to read because it's stupid choice after stupid choice made by the characters. However, the mangaka was good enough to make me care enough about the characters to judge them.

At its best, the manga illustrates the worst of what can happen when twenty somethings don't have a set goal in life that they want to pursue and simply lounge around.

At its worst, it's another drama manga with a tragic situation thrown in to pander for the readers' sympathy.

7/10 (Good. +/- 1 Point)
arimakenshinApr 13, 2010 3:37 PM
Jul 18, 2010 11:54 PM

Dec 2009
*Warning to people who have not read "Solanin": Some of this is put into spoilers due to a very high amount of direct story discussion. I do not want to ruin it for you. Thank you. Unto the post now~

Hmmm...everyone here has really great arguments, especially "arimakenshin".

Now, I would like to discuss the serious downfalls to "Solanin".

The good things about "Solanin", please.

......well, I have probably typed a loooooooot more than I needed to. But, that's okay. Just try to read it all or glance at it, please. As well, even though I have seemed to really rant about this manga I really enjoyed it acutely. I thought it was pretty well done and I do suggest it to anyone who is willing to read it. So, yep! :3

P.S: arimakenshin, I must say that they did not skip college all together. "Solanin" is set right after they graduated. So, this is post-college. Just wanted to point that out. Sorry if this bothered you ^^;
Also, writing this entire post....makes me want to change my score for it acutely. *drops score from 9 to 8*
sillyker0nianJul 19, 2010 12:09 AM
Jul 30, 2010 2:34 PM

Nov 2008
sillyker0nian said:

P.S: arimakenshin, I must say that they did not skip college all together. "Solanin" is set right after they graduated. So, this is post-college. Just wanted to point that out. Sorry if this bothered you ^^;
Also, writing this entire post....makes me want to change my score for it acutely. *drops score from 9 to 8*

Thanks for the correction. When I look at the manga after several months since I completed it, what really rubbed me the wrong way is when I asked the question, "What purpose does this manga have?" Does it really improve the reader's understand of different lifestyles? Entertainment? Is it unique compared to other manga?

There are way too many manga, especially in the Seinen genre, that discuss the same "twenty something existentialism". It gets quite boring after the first few masterpieces. Solanin offered nothing more than a short quick form of entertainment that can be completed in twenty minutes without any deep message.
Sep 8, 2010 9:22 PM
Sep 2010
I agree wholeheartedly with arimakenshin and sillyker0nian. But I am interested in what has been done right in this genre; what are the other 'masterpieces' that you mentioned above? :D
Dec 8, 2010 3:26 PM
Aug 2008
Very good, but sad.
Well, things need to go on.
Solanin almost made me cry.
Jun 12, 2011 5:26 PM

Aug 2010
Osakanaut said:
I agree wholeheartedly with arimakenshin and sillyker0nian. But I am interested in what has been done right in this genre; what are the other 'masterpieces' that you mentioned above? :D

+1

They pointed out exactly all my issues with this manga. I still enjoyed it but not as much as the others.
Dec 20, 2011 1:39 AM

Mar 2009
I think it was just decent. The death of her boyfriend was a significant incident and a turning point of the story but it didn't seem to have much impact on her- not enough impact anyway.
Jan 9, 2012 1:22 PM

Sep 2011
The death was really really confusing, he's lying down after the crash THEN it goes into the story about him playing guitar and stuff.. which is all apparently a flash back he had right before dying.. but how the heck are you supposed to know that?
Mar 19, 2012 8:58 PM

May 2009
I dunno what's wrong with all of you. This is one of the most beautiful mangas I have ever read.
Apr 30, 2012 2:03 AM

Feb 2008
I normally don't read much manga, but this... goddamn. This was something amazing. It make me experience just about every emotion possible and ended beautifully. This is my first 10/10 for a manga.
Aug 29, 2012 4:07 AM

Feb 2012
Inspiring manga, great character and so damn realistic story.
May 20, 2013 6:26 AM
Jan 2013
After the first posts I was wondering if I really missed something about it. I can fully agree with those who loved the story.

It's extremely realistic, maybe that's the bad part there? The whole story gives you a feeling of unaccomplishment, lack of hope and ideas for the future, but underneath it all it really shows off the positive side of life - what is enjoying whatever you have, under whatever circumstances you get.

It's true that their lives seemed to be pretty much nothing but a failure, because they couldn't find a place for themselves after finishing college - I can fully sympathize with them.

In this bitter-sweet story there was on line that really inspired me: "if you ad zero to zero you get eternity"

@sillyker0nian you misinterpreted a few things:
She quitted the job she hated to make Taneda think about their future.
Taneda didn't die before the concert, the idea came out after his death, and had nothing to do with Meiko starting guitar.
She started working 2 months after Taneda's death
The boy asked Meiko out few months after Taneda's death - that's why she didn't agree.

Sorry for pointing those out but they seem quite important to the story(^__^ )
Jun 11, 2013 2:09 PM

Jun 2009
A great manga, I think of all the manga I've read to completion this is probably my favorite. I think what makes this such a great read is how relatable the characters were. They are just normal 20 year olds fresh out of college, they have dreams but they also know they probably will never accomplish those dreams. They are inbetween being "kids" and full blown "adults" as far as their attitude and outlook on life, much like myself. I also like how the characters have these little doses of playful randomness, especially the guys, reminds of all the times me and my friends would do something positively goofy "just because". The art is also pretty spectacular, very realistic and alot of show don't tell here. The characters look like normal japanese people which is, of course, exactly what Asano wanted I'm sure.

I hate how some people in this thread are bashing this just because this kind of theme has been done before. So what? What matters is that Solanin does an absolutely incredible job of handling its subject matter with just the right use of humor and melancholy. If there is something that does this kind of story as realistic and honest as this does. Feel free to recommend it.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 22, 2014 8:46 AM

Dec 2009
This was a great manga :)
It felt as if it wandered off at times, but as a whole it was well worth my time.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Mar 28, 2014 11:09 PM

Jan 2014
God damn I wish I read this sooner. Going through a lot of the same issues that characters were going through as well so maybe this spoke to me more than a few people above me. But much like real life this manga didn't have the ultimate answer to the question of "what do I do with my life" because honestly there is no answer so I like Solanin handled that. Made it feel more real to me. And again much like the characters this story isn't going to make me go out and fix all of my problems in an instant, but i'd be lying if I say Solanin didn't inspire me. 10/10
Apr 4, 2014 8:21 PM

Oct 2013
enjoyed thoroughly
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jun 28, 2014 7:03 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I don't know if this a great manga or not, but it just reaaallllyyy spoke to me in a way in which most manga/anime (which are pretty escapist stories) simply haven't. The struggles of life in one's twenties are some of the most bittersweet one can find. Can highly recommend it.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 25, 2014 4:29 AM

Jan 2011
I liked it but I think I hyped it to myself too much.
Jul 25, 2014 4:47 AM

Oct 2012
I've reread this manga 3 times now. It still gets me every time. Heart breaking and real. Probably the only work in the manga/anime medium that struck me on a completely personal level. It knows when to be raw, it knows when to pull back, it knows when to create distance, and it knows when to blow you away.

It also makes me hate the film. It's by no means a bad film. But it lacks the struggle, rawness, and soul that this had. Also, juxtaposing the final scene with the band performance was a horrible horrible idea. Dumb call, film.

Still, love this manga. I might read it once more. And bawl my eyes out again.
Jul 30, 2014 10:34 AM

Jan 2014
Great manga
9/10
Oct 13, 2014 4:44 AM

Dec 2011
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need
Dec 22, 2014 2:58 PM

Sep 2013
Damn, this manga was really powerful. I think it speaks to everyone who has ever experienced those 'forks in the road' in their life. As others have already said, the mangaka is really skillful at portraying realistic human emotions. This was truly an emotional rollercoaster in 28 chapters, and almost made me feel like crying which is very rare from the entertainment medium, for me.

The art is so pretty too, I love the character designs.

9/10, one of my favorite manga for sure
Dec 31, 2014 1:02 PM

Jun 2012
Hmm I dont know what I was hoping for by reading this manga but I didnt get it thats for sure. Maybe it was an answer of what I should do with my life. I just dont know. :/
Jan 22, 2015 12:43 AM

Nov 2011
That was a nice manga, short and to the point. I really want to see the band part animated despite the awkwardness of the gimmick employed there. But overall, a great portrayal with realism and themes in regards with the characters.

8/10.
Aug 17, 2015 1:12 PM

Jul 2014
TuzoAnime said:
Taneda's dead got me by surprise, I thought he was going to be alright after that accident but nope.
[i]

Personally I found this manga really good.
Too bad it was short, but still I enjoyed it.

7/10
[/i]
Jan 11, 2016 5:00 PM

Oct 2013
Just your average story about some average people trying to find a way to live on this world.

Story was good, characters were nice and the art looked amazing, a short but great manga.

Feb 18, 2016 5:07 PM

Jan 2014
It didn't leave a big impact on me, but it really was an enjoyable read
and I found myself empathizing with the characters, which is a big plus.
I was a bit surprised at Taneda's death, but then again not that much either,
since I thought something like that might be the reason for the good rating :)
May 2, 2016 4:18 AM

Jan 2016
I may have to say that Solanin is definitely not for everyone. I myself am a 20-something aimlessly wandering through life, wondering what to do next. This manga speaks to me in volumes (heh, get it) because I relate so much to what Taneda is feeling and thinking. Solanin hits too close to home that it's scary.

Asano Inio's works has always given me a very "real" feeling. This is what true art really is. It makes you "feel" something. Oyasumi Punpun had me depressed for weeks even. Solanin might also do the same.

As for the "how are we supposed to know that those were flasbacks?" comment, you can tell by the color of the background panels because flashbacks have black panel backgrounds while present time happenings are in its standard white.

In the end Solanin, for me, may not give me the kind of resolve or solution to what lost 20-somethings should do...but isn't that reality? In a span of what, a few years? Not everyone finds resolve. At least the characters somehow took a little step toward their dreams, unlike so many of us who cower deeper into our comfort zones, get the "ideal" job, be a "normal" adult, and just die not feeling "completely unhappy" but also not "truly happy" as well. Overall, Solanin was a great read. It made me realize to just be brave sometimes and follow my dreams, even though it's reckless, even though it's dangerous, it makes me realize that trying is better than not trying at all.

Whoever reads this at the very end, thank you. :)
Aug 29, 2016 1:24 PM

Apr 2014
I feel like I read this at the perfect time in my life. #relatable
Sep 2, 2016 10:28 PM

Aug 2014
A shame this was short but I guess it accomplished what it set out to do so can't complain about that. I really digged how real and relatable the cast was, especially Meiko...I could sorta see a little bit of myself in her.

Didn't think it was that amazing but still good regardless.
7/10
Dec 30, 2016 12:10 PM
Jul 2018
I really liked it. It speaks more on a personal level, especially to the age group of early 20ish adults, myself included. It's the age where self doubts crop up within you, relationship insecurities begin to appear, you suddenly begin to feel "what if I had taken this road in my life, would I have made the correct choice?" The characters here faced this dilemma and at least tried to take steps forward towards their dream, instead of pondering about it or getting stuck there for the whole life.
"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

9.4/10, Asano really does a brilliant job of taking snapshots from people's lives and depicting their emotions.
Jul 9, 2017 5:40 PM

Mar 2014
It' was very boring this manga for me. I never really liked the cast, specially Meiko but I can understand the reason: this is dedicate to the young adults who lacks a purpose in theirs lives, have their mind in the sky or "unreachable" dreams with a harsh reality, I'm none of thoses. This manga is not for me, simple as that sound.
JoycdonnellMar 7, 2018 3:37 PM
Oct 7, 2017 8:52 AM

Feb 2016
This fell down horribly after the first half. I feel the focus in volume 2 was completely different from what volume 1 was set up to; missed potential. Taneda dying was kinda unnecessary and the story never actually showed it or developed it properly after that, and the characters didn't seem that much impacted by it either. Volume 1 had interesting themes, if only the story had supported them further..
AquamirrorOct 7, 2017 8:56 AM
Oct 23, 2017 1:17 AM

Oct 2015
Inspiring, although it's saddening that they only moved forward after Taneda died. I also liked the lyrics of the song Taneda made for Solanin especially the idea of it.
8/10

Edit:I just found out the author wrote the lyrics for the Solanin song by AKFG which is nice :D
EGOISTMar 6, 2018 3:35 AM
Oct 29, 2017 3:40 AM

Mar 2016
Dang, I quite enjoyed this manga. I never expected Taneda to die though, that was pretty sad. Not the best manga, but enjoyable.
Jan 28, 2019 8:42 AM
Jul 2018
Well this end came out of nowhere and just felt so sudden.
Anyway, I did not care for this manga. I'll probably forget it after two days.

I would have given it a 5, but the way Taneda was killed off, his actions, and the way the mangaka wanted you to sympathize with him and the other bunch of shitty characters in the later half annoyed me, so a 4/10 it is.
Oct 23, 2019 9:03 PM

Feb 2019
Pretty good manga. Characters had pretty good development especially meiko and rip after taneda's death. I hope that young kid also finds his happiness.
Jan 11, 2020 7:11 PM

May 2015
I'm not sure what I expected when I decided to read this, but I don't think I got what I was looking for. That's ok tho. I've seen how hyped Oyasumi Punpun is, so I figured I'd read Solanin to get an idea of Asano's work before jumping into OP.
This manga did very well conveying the mood of being in your 20's and not knowing for sure what to do with your life. It has a genuine realistic feel and the manga flowed very well throughout the whole story. It felt more like one huge chapter instead of being broken down into parts. I feel like the manga should have been a little bit longer tho since it was written in this manner. That way the more impactful events have time to be fleshed out a bit so that it doesn't get lost in between the slower uneventful parts.
One of the biggest problems I had with this manga is Taneda's character. He was a shitty bf. He didn't help Meiko in any way that was helpful and ends up bringing her down. Then he wants to bail when he sees things are starting to get real and Meiko is expecting him to step up. Instead of trying, he goes and essentially commits suicide. It just made me feel bad for Meiko because she had quit her job and tried to be happy with Taneda, but in end, he just left her even more unhappy after his death. I'm glad she was able to pick up the pieces of her life and make a change of her mistakes. It was even nice how she honored Taneda by learning his song and playing it in concert to bring this manga to a close.
I wish the characters had been a bit more memorable, but overall it was an enjoyable read. I give it a 8/10.
zomikJan 11, 2020 7:17 PM
Jan 25, 2020 10:46 AM

Jan 2015
Such a great manga!
I really enjoyed it, it was very realistic!
9/10
Jun 21, 2020 2:24 PM
May 2020
Really enjoyable and inspiring manga. I liked the ending scene. 8/10
Aug 6, 2020 3:14 AM

Mar 2020
it took me so long to finish this manga not because it was boring or smt it just did cause I am a little lazy ass. But I digress, the manga was very enjoyable and realistic, the characters were ordinary adults which is why it felt so real and I could relate to them.
Taneda's death somehow killed the realism for me... I was expecting this couple to figure out how to live and settle, eventually, find stable jobs and have a child.

Oh well, but the story is very good. 9/10
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Oct 4, 2020 3:59 PM
Oct 2019
I like Asano Inio's humor. It's very subtle and doesn't ruin the mood in the scenes while still helping the mood stay light-hearted.

The story could be a take from any of my friends or my life during college years and young adulthood, very relatable even though growth has happened. I think this is a sign of good and believable story-telling. Some of his works go overboard and while are understandable, remain very alienating.

Very refreshing to reminiscence the bitter-sweetness of that time, even though things like that were unbearably painful back then. Even the feelings of mourning grow and take different shape with time.
Jan 18, 2021 3:58 PM

Aug 2020
Beautiful story. It shows that even though life is tough, there's always a good side of it. And all the little things matter, like time spent with your beloved ones.

Feb 1, 2021 3:46 AM
Jan 2019
Oh man this hit extremely hard
Feb 13, 2021 8:44 AM

Aug 2018
Really nice ending of the manga, overall I liked this manga a lot. The problems they were dealing with are very relatable to many people nowadays. I guess Oyasumi Punpun is the next thing Il read from this creator to see what his most apraised work is about.

This was a great read and won't be forgotten for quite some time 8.3/10
Mar 14, 2021 11:00 PM
Apr 2016
I was really hoping it was only an accident but he actually died. It was so sudden too, right after he had finally "found" something. Short but rather biter sweet, really enjoyed it though and nice ending though. I'm happy for everyone! 9/10.
Apr 4, 2021 8:36 PM

Jan 2020
Wtf, he died? That's stupid and hate that ngl

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Chapter 29

Arfilmrator - Aug 18, 2018

4 by waalex11 »»
Feb 21, 10:49 AM

Poll: » Solanin Chapter 5 Discussion

vittoria - May 1, 2009

16 by dismiss »»
Feb 9, 8:54 AM

Poll: » Solanin Chapter 16 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Dec 20, 2011

18 by Tsunamii_ »»
Nov 24, 2023 5:40 AM

Poll: » Solanin Chapter 1 Discussion

Beatnik - Dec 1, 2008

31 by Mista23 »»
Oct 27, 2023 10:20 AM

Poll: » Solanin Chapter 2 Discussion

aznixiboy - Feb 5, 2009

15 by Mikuinsidee »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.