Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 19, 2017 5:27 PM

Aug 2014
As opposite to Connhombre's post, I'd like to know what shows you actually dislike even though you realize are probably good (as objectively as an opinion can go).

For example I can't get myself to fully enjoy Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, or Neon Genesis Evangelion, Bakemonogatari and Fate's series, even if I do know they are very good shows, for various reasons I can understand. I still don't like to watch them though.
What about you?

Bonus question:
Index III when???

____Edit____

I noticed many of you are confusing what I asked with anime that are good from a community point of view, again, I would like you to dissociate yourselves from the community and rankings you see everywhere and opinions, I'm not asking for an anime you consider bad, I'm asking for an anime you didn't enjoy even though you thought it was good. If there are no anime you think are good but still didn't enjoy, then don't answer this post. I don't want to see people saying that if they didn't like it then it means it's bad, and people saying "anime A" is bad.
LucDiswayFeb 20, 2017 4:28 PM
Ruka desu.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 19, 2017 5:31 PM
Jul 2018
Fate? Good? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

Anyways nothing like that happened.
Feb 19, 2017 5:32 PM

Feb 2015
If I dislike it then it can't be good.
Feb 19, 2017 5:33 PM

Aug 2014
Darek said:

Okay, let's say I do recognize some kind of quality in Fate's series, it may not be the perfect example to use with the others, but my point still stands
Ruka desu.
Feb 19, 2017 5:37 PM

Jun 2014
Darek said:

I thought I was the only one who thought Fate wasn't that good.

Fate and Madoka are the ONLY popular anime that I really don't see much quality in. I guess UBW 1 was good, but season 2?
Feb 19, 2017 5:40 PM

Jun 2015
I don't think Death Note is that good even though most people do.
:)
Feb 19, 2017 5:40 PM

Aug 2014
desseroni said:

I'm not asking for what you feel is overrated though
Ruka desu.
Feb 19, 2017 5:41 PM

Oct 2013
I don't have that type of mindset, I can acknowledge the fact that the series just isn't for me, but I wont go as far as saying it is good, simple because a lot of persons said it is, if you think like that it just shows that you have a weak backbone, and that you are easily influence by others opinion.
Feb 19, 2017 5:42 PM

Oct 2013
I guess True Tears
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2129/True_Tears
I can't think of anything really bad about it but its honestly very boring to me so I gave it a 5
Feb 19, 2017 5:46 PM
Oct 2015
Well the Statistics say Clannad is "good" but i think it was boring trash thats why i dropped it after like 10 Episodes.
Maybe just not my taste.
Feb 19, 2017 5:49 PM
Jan 2013
Clannad was boring as shit

Me on Maison Ikkoku:

gone bai bai
Feb 19, 2017 5:52 PM

Oct 2014
i can not think of a single i desliked that i would describe as good even the critically accliamed ones like 5 centimeter per second and gundam 08th ms team are atrocious in my eyes
also the fate series is atrocious op the second season of ubw is one of the single worst series i have ever seen
Feb 19, 2017 5:52 PM
Dec 2014
Oh there's a lot of anime that I suppose is quality wise good that I would just never watch. KyoAni is not my thing but it looks good and people love K-on so there must be something there that I can't see.
Feb 19, 2017 5:54 PM
Jan 2013
Oh yes, 5cm per s is boring as shit too
gone bai bai
Feb 19, 2017 5:55 PM

Jul 2015
@keragamming While OP's examples are all very popular, that's not exactly his point, but I'm not surprised you're trying to twist it into a discussion about popularity again.

OT: Dunno, really. Maybe Captain Herlock's manga. I really can't stand space opera, and the misogyny was killing me. It's probably good stuff, but I'm a lost cause for this cheesy 70's sci-fi stuff. I completely hate the Cobra movie too.

Maybe Nichijou, too. I guess comedy is highly hit-or-miss, and this one kept missing. Every time I think about it (not that often) I lower its score by 1, huh.

@Fenikrises *coughs* That's not what he said tho. Considering he has a bunch of favs and nearly 100 days watched, I'm sure there's tons of stuff he enjoys. Maybe he just really think those anime are garbage?

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts.
SoulEaterQUEENFeb 21, 2017 3:50 PM
Feb 19, 2017 6:10 PM
Feb 2017
People will probably argue with me on this but I don't really like fairy tale nor clannad and I WATCHED fairy tale all the way up the 100s episodes And I couldn't take it anymore and clannad gosh it was boring to me but I can see why many loved it tho
Feb 19, 2017 6:23 PM

Oct 2014
Clebardman said:
@Fenikrises *coughs* That's not what he said tho. Considering he has a bunch of favs and nearly 100 days watched, I'm sure there's tons of stuff he enjoys. Maybe he just really think those anime are garbage?

eh i made my comment with a needlesly negative tone so i kind of find that reply fair enough
still i am surprised with you answering it seriously when i am not
Feb 19, 2017 6:26 PM
Feb 2017
Kill la Kill. Didn't even make it 10 minutes into the first episode. I'll leave that one on the back burner on a low simmer.
Feb 19, 2017 6:28 PM

Aug 2014
Yeah, I guess I have to clarify I'm not talking about popular anime that you dislike, I'm talking about anime that you dislike but YOU still can tell are good.
Ruka desu.
Feb 19, 2017 6:31 PM

Jan 2016
This is a weird question because "good" and "bad" are subjective opinions. If I truly thought that an anime was "good", why would I dislike it? The answer is, I wouldn't.
Feb 19, 2017 6:33 PM

Dec 2016
To me Steins; Gate would be the closest.

When I finished it I knew I had seen something well-done. But anyway it still left me with a bitter feeling, maybe because I thought there were just too many plot conveniences (which I don't necessarily think of them as flaws), many things were just too unbelievable (and I'm not referring to the sci-fi stuff), I really hated how it seemed that the girls didn't have noses, and I really disliked Okabe's childish personality.
Feb 19, 2017 6:35 PM

Aug 2014
Wander_Wolf said:
This is a weird question because "good" and "bad" are subjective opinions. If I truly thought that an anime was "good", why would I dislike it? The answer is, I wouldn't.

I believe you can like something you think is bad as much as you can dislike something you might think is good.
For example, I really enjoyed my time watching Punchline, but I still don't think it was good, at the same time I get easily bored watching FMA Brotherhood, even though I can see its qualities all over the place.
Ruka desu.
Feb 19, 2017 6:44 PM

Jan 2016
Lucky96u said:
Wander_Wolf said:

I believe you can like something you think is bad as much as you can dislike something you might think is good.
For example, I really enjoyed my time watching Punchline, but I still don't think it was good, at the same time I get easily bored watching FMA Brotherhood, even though I can see its qualities all over the place.

Hmmm... That's really interesting. I'm the exact opposite. I think that an anime is good only if I'm enjoying it. My enjoyment of an anime does vary depending on its flaws and I rate it as such. However, I can't consider an anime good if I find little to no enjoyment in it.
Feb 19, 2017 6:45 PM
Feb 2017
To clarify my own point about Kill la Kill. Even in that short amount of time, I could still tell why people would like it, in terms of its look and kinetic energy and humor, but it just wasn't for me.
Feb 19, 2017 7:25 PM

Jun 2015
Lucky96u said:
desseroni said:

I'm not asking for what you feel is overrated though

I dunno if I would say it is overrated it is just not really my kind of show.
:)
Feb 19, 2017 7:40 PM

Mar 2016
I enjoyed the theme that presented (and how it been presented) in Gilgamesh, Planetes and Shinsekai Yori, but I couldn't enjoy some episodes of them thanks to the unlikeable characters in them. There are alot of shows that I consider as good but couldn't enjoyed them that much mostly because the annoying characters in them.
Kurniawan_KtrFeb 19, 2017 7:50 PM
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Feb 19, 2017 7:42 PM
Nov 2016
I have a few.

Cowboy Bebop is, on a technical level, nothing short of amazing. Unfortunately, I find it mostly boring, which makes it difficult for me to enjoy all of the amazing qualities it has.

Mushi-shi. Very pretty, impressive atmosphere, but it's all in a direction that I can't find myself enjoying. That kind of show isn't what I look for.

Joker Game. I am extremely not a fan of vignette style stories, to the point where I even have a bit of an inherent dislike for more episodic stories that have an overarching plot. This is such a fundamental part of what I like in a show where it's the main reason I prefer anime over other mediums; I typically find less episodic, more plot-centric shows. Thus, Joker Game, which doesn't even have recurring characters, is something I basically can't stand, despite the fact that it does have some fairly impressive pacing outside of the first episode.
Feb 19, 2017 7:48 PM

Feb 2016
NGE is shit. I would rather watch a shounen, a mecha series or read a psychological book. Combining these things didnt appeal to me nearly as much as I thought, I prefer characters with cool/interesting personalities than a bunch with parental issues. While it does no mistakes I found it all kinda forced.
SpaghettiSpikeFeb 19, 2017 7:52 PM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 19, 2017 7:53 PM

Nov 2015
Keijo!!
pretty sure its just brain cell killing garbage, Anyone calling it parody or satire are the same people saying madoka is a deconstruction. Ridiculous can be good, but really only if its clever in some way.
Feb 19, 2017 8:47 PM

Oct 2013
Clebardman said:
@keragamming While OP's examples are all very popular, that's not exactly his point, but I'm not surprised you're trying to twist it into a discussion about popularity again.

OT: Dunno, really. Maybe Captain Herlock's manga. I really can't stand space opera, and the misogyny was killing me. It's probably good stuff, but I'm a lost cause for this cheesy 70's sci-fi stuff. I completely hate the Cobra movie too.

Maybe Nichijou, too. I guess comedy is highly hit-or-miss, and this one kept missing. Every time I think about it (not that often) I lower its score by 1, huh.

Ok, let me go a little bit deeper to make myself clear. You can't like/dislike a anime at the same time, You are being contradictory when you say that, as I said before you can acknowledge that the series is just not for you and also even point out a few good points about the series, but obviously these good points wasn't good enough for you to consider those series to be good.

From my impression it sounds like you consider Captain Harlock's and Nichijou as manga you didn't dislike but at the same time didn't like, basically you found them average overall. My 1 million dollar question is why do you dislike these series but at the same time think they are good series? Is it because a lot of persons you respect speak positively about these series? thus influence your thinking of the series quality somewhat? Or maybe you believe that there are objectively bad anime and good anime?

That's pretty much where this argument ultimately is going to lead up to, objective vs subjective and enjoyment vs critical thinking. I must admit, these types of arguments I find the most interesting.
keragammingFeb 19, 2017 8:53 PM
Feb 20, 2017 12:10 AM
Dec 2012
Gintama, I tortured myself watching it up 'till ep 18, but it was utterly boring, at least for me...
:v
Feb 20, 2017 12:11 AM

Oct 2016
Noragami and one piece does not hold my attention, in the case of one piece I even tried I looked at some 20 episodes and noragami in the first already dropped
Feb 20, 2017 12:41 AM

Nov 2009
Yes, there are plenty of anime I did not like even though it's obvious to me that they're pretty good.
Anything horrifying or too dramatic is not what I want to see. In particular, many shoujo works are too emotionally intense for me to handle.
For example, Madoka Magika, Shinsekai Yori and Shingeki no Kyoujin fit squarely into this definition - too grimdark.
Feb 20, 2017 12:45 AM

Mar 2016
Lucky96u said:
As opposite to Connhombre's post, I'd like to know what shows you actually dislike even though you realize are probably good (as objectively as an opinion can go).

For example I can't get myself to fully enjoy Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, or Neon Genesis Evangelion, Bakemonogatari and Fate's series, even if I do know they are very good shows, for various reasons I can understand. I still don't like to watch them though.
What about you?

Bonus question:
Index III when???

Same like you I can't get into bakemonogatari (because of it's supernatural stuff and fanservice. I only enjoyed episode 12 of this anime.) I also don't enjoy re:zero as much as everyone else because it's boring and I feel something empty when I watched it.
Forum set made by Sereshay

Feb 20, 2017 12:56 AM

Jul 2015
Re zero : enjoyed it until ep 18
hxh : enjoyed it until chimera ant arc
Feb 20, 2017 1:12 AM

Jul 2013
Lucky96u said:
Bonus question:
Index III when???
There are rumors who say it will be released the same day Half Life 3 gets confirmed. Seems legit.
Feb 20, 2017 1:15 AM

May 2016
Death Note. I know the second part is really bad (I haven't watched it but... come on), but even the first part I don't like it, although it's good.
Feb 20, 2017 1:20 AM

May 2015
No such thing. If an anime is good, I'll like it. I can't say that an anime is good but I dislike it. The logic won't work.

I'm aware enough of why I like or dislike anime that I can't enjoy something bad. Of course, if someone shows me another way of looking at the anime, I'll think it's good and then enjoy it.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 20, 2017 1:39 AM

Nov 2009
If by "good" you mean show's average score on MAL, then it'll be ZnT. Convoluted, underdeveloped plot, shallow one-dimensional characters, terrible mind games. This show was a total disaster. A toothless critique of both Japanese government and US.

Feb 20, 2017 1:47 AM

Dec 2010
This topic would have had a way better direction if its meaning is "something you'd really like for the most part, but something particular made you dislike it".

Connhmobre's topic at least works because you can understand it as "low-effort/cheap/cheesy anime you still like anyway", because I can see that definition of "bad" closer to objective than anything I can think of when it comes to "good"
Feb 20, 2017 1:47 AM

Oct 2015
tragedydesu said:
Re zero : enjoyed it until ep 18
hxh : enjoyed it until chimera ant arc

wow someone who doesnt like re:zero at ep 18, who would have thought :^)
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Feb 20, 2017 1:48 AM
Sep 2012
If going off general reception, for me, No Game No Life.
Was not a fan of the fan service, the humor was very hit or miss and the plot didn't feel all that interesting. I did like the art style though.
Feb 20, 2017 2:06 AM

Nov 2016
If by going off of the MAL rating, then One Punch Man. The series had one ongoing joke in the series that completely went over my head and was repetitive. Also I look for character development and OPM has none of that.

Also Erased.
Feb 20, 2017 2:23 AM

Nov 2009

Is it as bad as Zankyou no Terror? I heard that Tempest has good action sequences.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
SoulEaterQUEENFeb 21, 2017 4:19 PM

Feb 20, 2017 2:39 AM

Feb 2013
MajorZero said:

Is it as bad as Zankyou no Terror? I heard that Tempest has good action sequences.
It does fit your enumeration pretty good xD
I don't particularly remember it for action scenes, just for the faggot MCs, the 4 episode of talking in front of a tree, and the witch girl turning from a somewhat interesting character to a love shy shoujo protag. The "we r superheroes xDDD" part in the second half might have had some "good action sequences"... but that's not what i was looking for in this series... I was baited into thinking it's a more psychological show.
For all it's worth, i liked Zankyou more; it made more sense, wasn't so dragged out, and the main cast was relatively memorable. Then again, they're both pretty high rated so i (we) might be in the minority when disliking these shows.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
SoulEaterQUEENFeb 21, 2017 4:19 PM
Feb 20, 2017 2:46 AM
Jul 2018
A good anime I dislike anyways is summer wars. It an excellent film with a good story and presentation. However I just can't get into. Maybe its because of the video game/internet aspects of the film I dislike it.
Feb 20, 2017 2:56 AM

Apr 2011
Usually, if I don't like something, even if it is great, I most likely have dropped it. If I watched it to completion, I forget about it within a week. So, I can't really give an answer to this thread.

Now, if it was anime that is considered good, but I don't like, I could give you plenty. Madoka Magica, most of the Ghibli stuff I've seen, all of Shinkai's shit I've seen, etc...
Feb 20, 2017 4:40 AM

Jul 2015
@keragamming
I can't really call the comedy in Nichijou "bad". I have no problem doing this with Steins;Gate, but Nichijou didn't trigger me in any way or made me feel like it was insulting my intelligence. It just, for the most part, flew miiiiles above my head. Technically it's pretty good but comedy is the only thing that should save it from its weird pacing and complete absence of plot. For that reason, I'd rather say I didn't like it rather than "lol it's shit".

Captain Herlock and Cobra... Okay, these are bad :p.

I'm also having a hard time with the Patlabor movies. While they are good, I'm having a hard time caring about all that Oshii stuff when it has the Patlabor stamp on it. I guess that's what GitS fans felt when they saw his movie in 95. I really need to rewatch those, especially the second one Oo.
DeathkoFeb 20, 2017 4:45 AM
Feb 20, 2017 4:49 AM

Nov 2014
Gintama is totally unwatchable for me. I wouldn't even consider it "good" anime, but with its score I'm ok with assuming it's just me.

NGE and Cowboy Bebop are generally considered good anime that I didn't like. I mean, I can see they are good, but I didn't enjoy them myself.

Tonari no Totoro and Howl no Ugoku Shiro - just not for me. I forced myself to finish them for research purposes.

Lucky96u said:

Bonus question:
Index III when???

When HxH and Berserk manga are finished.
JustAnotherShiroFeb 20, 2017 4:52 AM
Feb 20, 2017 4:53 AM
Aug 2016
Their is Your Lie in April, Bakemonogatari, Toradora, Code Geass, Attack on Titan are some of the titles i could just never get fully invested, don't get me wrong they are good but i just don't see them as the big titles that a lot of people claim to be.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 12 hours ago

45 by Pinoffin »»
1 minute ago

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

52 by bucciest »»
3 minutes ago

» Which character in your favorites is the most down bad / warped personality?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 5

22 by bucciest »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

24 by bucciest »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching

deg - Apr 14

46 by bucciest »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.