Forum Settings
Forums

At what point does someone's opinions become not credible or invaluable to you?

New
Feb 6, 2017 2:04 PM

Oct 2015
How do you judge when someones opinion is worthy of taking? What about a review or someones opinion will make it not credible too you? I seen reviews were someone says the art is 5/10, sound 4/10, animation 5/10, story 3/10, characters 5/10 , but enjoyment 10 and still rate the show 10/10 overall despite their other ratings. Stuff like this usually makes me not take their score into account.
PheolingAnimuFeb 6, 2017 2:29 PM
Too kawaii to live, too mahou shoujo to die >:D
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 6, 2017 2:38 PM

Jan 2017
PheolingAnimu said:
How do you judge when someones opinion is worthy of taking? What about a review or someones opinion will make it not credible too you? I seen reviews were someone says the art is 5/10, sound 4/10, animation 5/10, story 3/10, characters 5/10 , but enjoyment 10 and still rate the show 10/10 overall despite their other ratings. Stuff like this usually makes me not take their score into account.

Probably the last point (the 10/10 for enjoyment) outweighs all the other elements for the reviewer, when he goes on to overall rating.

For me an opinion is worthy of taking, when it is supported by arguments or explanation. If, in your example the guy writes somewhere in his review that enjoyment is all he cares about, his rating becomes clear and logical to me. If he doesn't I don't take him seriously.
Feb 6, 2017 2:50 PM

Jun 2015
It's pretty simple actually. I even have a formula for it:

√(number of user's post/[number of shitposts+10]^s)

Where s is a factor based on how stupid their avatar looks like.

But seriously, this should just be a case by case basis. Just because someone tends to post shitposts/makes bad reviews doesn't mean they're incapable of making serious ones.
Feb 6, 2017 2:52 PM

Apr 2015
At what point does someone's opinions become not credible to you
When they start telling me they have an opinion and that I have an opinion as their only means of defense, among others.
TylaenFeb 6, 2017 2:56 PM
Feb 6, 2017 2:53 PM

Jun 2012
What was that old idiom? Something about a grain of salt? Apply to mostly everything? Healthy amount of cynicism?

I think it's best that you take the best out of these things and cross reference them. Know who the author is. More importantly, be critical of your own ideas and try to understand other people's as well. Someone's opinions being completely invalid to you is a sign of narcissism. Or a superiority complex.
HolybaptiserFeb 6, 2017 2:57 PM
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 6, 2017 2:53 PM

Oct 2015
Maybe another way to put it would be "what makes a review good too you".
Too kawaii to live, too mahou shoujo to die >:D
Feb 6, 2017 2:54 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
If they have tastes & priorities in line with my own, then I'd be more willing to listen to them when it comes to their thoughts on something.

If they don't, then they can do whatever, I'm honestly probably not going to read what they have to say regardless.

Although, I guess the opinions the draw my contempt more than anything else are the ones in generic critic format, which is laden with vaguely applied literary terms they clearly just heard on YT or from other reviews and repetitive drivel in the following format:

Story: rating

(sentence about the story, but in this case usually the lack thereof, i.e. "Story? WHAT STORY?")

(summary of story)

Characters: rating

(opening sentence about whether or not the characters are good or terrible)

(summary of characters)

Art: rating

(sentence or two sentences if the writer wants to put forth the extra effort)

Soundtrack: rating

(again, sentence or two)

Yeah yeah, there are ones that use that format that aren't shit, because when a format is so commonly used there's going to be some good among the derivative fecal matter trying to pose as an opinion with actual value that I should listen to. Point being that ones that don't strike me as lazy and worthless feel like the exception moreso than the norm when I see somebody write a review in this exceedingly basic format, so I tend to avoid them regardless once I see that.

Then again, even reviews with actual thought and effort put into them tend not to interest me much, so meh.
ManabanFeb 6, 2017 2:58 PM

Feb 6, 2017 3:22 PM

Mar 2014
When they disagree with me, obviously
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 6, 2017 3:26 PM

Sep 2014
When they say my Rabu Raibu is anything below a perfect 11/10, then I know that their opinion is less than that of a sub-human piece of trash.
Feb 6, 2017 3:26 PM

Oct 2014
In terms of looking for anime to watch what matters the most is that the reviewer pays attention to the things you care about. If you watch anime for the story and the entire time they rant about how awful the animation is then it's a worthless opinion in terms of knowing if you should watch it if you don't care too much about how good the animation is.
Feb 6, 2017 3:28 PM

Jun 2015
PheolingAnimu said:
At what point does someone's opinions become not credible or invaluable to you?
the moment I realize its not MY opinion, it becomes an invalid piece of shit.
Feb 6, 2017 3:31 PM

Oct 2013
the second the person starts insulting me instead of arguing against my claims with facts
or when they say Toradora is better than Shakugan no Shana, Zero no Tsukaima or Hayate no Gotoku
Feb 6, 2017 3:40 PM
Jul 2018
When they say sora no woto is not a 10/10 they lose all their credibility.
Feb 6, 2017 4:22 PM

Aug 2009
PheolingAnimu said:

Depends on the type of opinion. Like if its an opinion on what a viewing order should be on a series or what their opinion on what anime series is similar then their opinion is valuable.. If its an opinion on how great or bad the anime series is then that opinion is not valuable.Not really anything to do with credibility of the poster but mostly because of the people have different tastes in anime.
Feb 6, 2017 4:48 PM

Mar 2015
there is no such a thing as invaluable opinion.. only agree and disagree...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 6, 2017 4:54 PM

Feb 2015
Brb said:

But seriously, this should just be a case by case basis. Just because someone tends to post shitposts/makes bad reviews doesn't mean they're incapable of making serious ones.

Ohhh this is good so we can objectively figure out the worth of opinion not just "well this is a deconstruction of this so 10/10"

>How do you judge when someones opinion is worthy of taking

I dunno, @EcchiLordMamster... How about you?
Feb 6, 2017 4:57 PM

May 2015
"I don't like this anime but I still gave it a high score because it's good or I've rated some anime worse but this is the anime I hate the most."
"Chase is generic edgy garbage and is the worst Jojo OP"
"Rei>Asuka"
"I try to rate with an objective score and an enjoyment score"
"I don't want to join the Axis Cult"

anyone who says this is actually retarded and you should probably try to help them home so they do not harm them self or others.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Feb 6, 2017 5:01 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
When they stop reflecting my opinions 1:1,I start ignoring them.
Feb 6, 2017 5:06 PM

Nov 2013
- When someone uses terms, he doesn't know the meaning of.
- When someone claims, that X is a rip-off of Y.
- When someone tells straight out lies.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Feb 6, 2017 5:09 PM

Sep 2013
How can someone think story is 3 and characters are 5 and still have 10 of enjoyment?
Feb 6, 2017 5:14 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
_Ako_ said:
Brb said:

Ohhh this is good so we can objectively figure out the worth of opinion not just "well this is a deconstruction of this so 10/10"

>How do you judge when someones opinion is worthy of taking

I dunno, @EcchiLordMamster... How about you?

how do you judge whether or not someone's opinion is worthy of taking?

when it triggers the shit out of you LOL

if its obvious its blatant trolling them ofc its not
Feb 6, 2017 5:20 PM

Jun 2016
Many people consider opinions to be equally credible, but I disagree with that politically correct answer. Opinions can't be wrong (by definition), but they can be based on incorrect information or misguided assumptions. Similarly, one's opinions can contradict themselves.

You can have whatever opinions you want, but you should be able to support them to a degree. If you're talking about what color you think is the prettiest, maybe not much support is required, but if you think one anime is better than another, you should be able to explain why. At any point when one's logic seems flawed is when their often logic-based opinions are no longer valuable to me.
Feb 6, 2017 5:24 PM
Jan 2015
When you see reasons like "Generic" ," Wish-Fulfillment", or "Cliche", which are not valid criticisms, but just buzz words thrown on to things people dislike.
My Queens

Feb 6, 2017 5:26 PM

Jul 2015
When they think "Objectively" is something that is used to describe something is "good" in a visual or litarary medium
Sup...
Feb 6, 2017 5:50 PM

Feb 2016
In your example, I'd take it as a valid opinion, actually. They tried to be objective about technical stuff and hopefully gave reasons why they think story is bad, but characters are ok and etc. Yes, they rated it ten at the end... but it's their list, they have the right to rate it however they want.

Now, if they were singing praises and trying to say that anime is the best thing since sliced bread... that would be a different bag entirely.

In general, as long as the person I'm talking with is capable of having a discussion without personal attacks, is capable of explaining why they think something is good and at the end, if they can't change my mind back off and respect my opinion, I'll respect their opinion too and think of it as valid.

If they just diss my personal tastes, when discussing something attack me personally, use ad hominem and other logic failures, or can't say why they like something, I'll choose to ignore them.
Feb 6, 2017 6:43 PM

Aug 2013
Why would you care about their overall score when you already know their broken down scores (art, sound, animation, story, character, enjoyment)?

To be honest, scores should be the last thing you care about in an anime review. Everyone has different rating standard.

As for what makes someone's opinion not creditable to me: when someone haven't seen the anime at all or only seen the first few episodes and trying to give an opinion about the entire series as a whole.
Feb 6, 2017 7:33 PM

Oct 2015
when they sprout their opinion, but when you refute them they go,

yea but that's just like your opinion bro
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Feb 6, 2017 7:40 PM
Jun 2016
when i find out that they have an account on My Anime List
'ate gundam
Feb 6, 2017 8:03 PM

Aug 2008
My opinion>everyone else opinion

Don't see what is wrong with review like that. Just because you enjoy something that doesn't mean you will think story,art,characters are good.

Review are subjective and there are many ways people can choose how to review anime. Two different person who try to review anime without bias will still come up with two different conclusion of anime. One might think it's good anime while others think it's bad even though they both review it without bias.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Feb 6, 2017 8:08 PM

Aug 2013
If we are talking about anime, when it loses the point of a show (for example saying K-ON is not good because it isn't deep when the show isn't even aiming for that), talks from misinformation and things like that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2017 11:38 PM

Jan 2012
when their opinion is only about their waifu/best girl acceptance and reception and they discard the rest of the plot. (re:zero is a recent example)

when people say everything is shit except some random anime (why do they even care about the medium?)

not providing even one piece of explanation for your opinion

just being illogical when you try to use logic
Feb 7, 2017 12:13 AM

Oct 2016
Everyone have different opinions.
Rather than one individual's opinion , I prefer majority's opinion.
Feb 7, 2017 12:35 AM

Nov 2009
PheolingAnimu said:
How do you judge when someones opinion is worthy of taking?

1) If the opinion fits on one string of text, it's probably not interesting and not worth responding to.

2) When I've read (or argued with) a user long enough, I remember them and my impression of what their opinions are like.
For example, Feanderwolf is close to ideal of "fractal wrongness". Every single thing that goes out of his keyboard is wrong, his underlying assumptions are wrong, his ideals are impossible, and I cannot possibly convince him of anything.
ComicSans is a chronic liar and troll, and I don't care about anything she says.
On the other hand, while I disagree with Pullman and TheBrainInTheJar on a lot of subjects, I find them interesting to talk to.
And I value Zefirys's opinion a lot.
(it's likely that I misspelled about 50% of the names)

3) Generally I don't bother reading reviews. When I do, I read until I find a review that talks about a show's strong points, because that's what I wanted to know.
Feb 7, 2017 12:40 AM

May 2015
Depending on how they argue them.

If all they can say is 'lol this is ridiculous' or 'it can't happen' and don't provide some solid theory why, then I don't take them seriously. Literary criticism means talking in literary language.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 7, 2017 12:43 AM

Apr 2013
You're not using "invaluable" right. It means the opposite.

When somebody uses the word "objective" unironically.
Feb 7, 2017 12:43 AM

Jan 2016
If it simply is clear bullshit. Only then will I not entertain someone's opinion.
Feb 7, 2017 12:58 AM

Dec 2015
Magnord said:
when their opinion is only about their waifu/best girl acceptance and reception and they discard the rest of the plot. (re:zero is a recent example)

when people say everything is shit except some random anime (why do they even care about the medium?)

not providing even one piece of explanation for your opinion

just being illogical when you try to use logic

OMG right?
My friends irl been being so hype to me like "Oh God you should watch re: zero cause Rem is so waifu" I was like dude? wait so you want me to watch re:zero only to watch your rem waifu? chill.. you know Im a girl and I dont understand those waifu things you are talking about...

That 2nd one I dont understand why do they even use an excessive word to represent the anime that they dont like *like Ive been wondering

True true... some ppl claim they use logic but nah.... I dont think its logic enough XD

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

About your quesiotn up there, for me opinion is just an opinion right? either its rational or not, objective or not? there is only agree and disagree... One's opinion is right to that one person and others who is agree but if they not, isnt it in the end it will always be "well its your opinion, my opinion will be ..."? The worst might turn to either a pointless debate or a chill stuation where those people understand each other's opinion.

But for me.. I find Im mostly agree with reasonable opinion as a result of thinking and considering things... Well, myself somehow not good at speaking up my own opinion so.
EufieFeb 7, 2017 1:03 AM
"It’s so ri-ri-diculous that I h-hope you understand even if I st-st-stutter, my t-t-talking ability is a little lacking
Still I wanted to at least s-speak co-co-correctly but my mouth keeps getting c-c-crooked because I lo-lo-love it so much, love it so mu-much "

[signature]
Feb 7, 2017 2:06 AM
Jul 2018
when I see reviews rated 10/10 or 1/10, I usually don't take those reviews seriously. I think when a person has a score around 4-8 the review is usually decent and gives reasons why and what they like/dislike about the particular anime.
Feb 7, 2017 2:14 AM

Feb 2015
When they can't explain why they think so, especially if it's a heavily negative opinion, or if they have to resort to using vague statements that don't make sense (to list a few I've seen used for criticising Fairy Tail: it's all fanservice. Fights are only won with nakama BS. It's a One Piece clone.)
Feb 7, 2017 4:45 AM

Apr 2014
opinions aren't credible in any way, because they are subjective, just like this statement.
Feb 7, 2017 4:46 AM

Oct 2015
gonna be an asshole cause i just have to,

yea but that's just like your opinion bro, opinions are fact >:D
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Feb 7, 2017 4:56 AM
Jan 2016
When someone starts insulting the audience that likes or dislikes a certain show instead of explaining why they themselves think it's bad or good. I don't mind if you don't like my favourite show but don't start insulting me because I like it.
Feb 7, 2017 6:01 AM

Mar 2008
I don't like it because I don't like it.
or... I disliked it because I think it could be better (and suddenly stop here). In other hands, when someone says that disliked something because yes, or just without any reason. It's not wrong, but... I don't give any credibility for this.
Feb 7, 2017 10:31 AM

Apr 2015
When people consistently recommend shit to me. Then I start reducing my interaction with them, and the value of their recommendation.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Feb 7, 2017 10:43 AM

Mar 2009
When their opinion of the show is more about how politically correct it was, than if it was good or not.
I don't find people with this attitude oftenly watching anime, thank goodness.
Last I remember this guy who said the worst thing about Berserk 2016 is Casca being white and that's why he hated it.
I mean seriously? Seriously seriously? A whole fucking Berserk 2016 with its crap animation, butchered story, crap CG and sound effects and what you rage about is Casca's skin color?
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Feb 7, 2017 10:46 AM

Feb 2016
Everyone with 8.5+ median rating, worthless casuals.
People with SAO/Re:Zero in their favorites, absolute shit taste.
People who praise the hot overrated anime (shelter, kimi no na wa) just because they are popular at the moment and everyone else likes them, blind sheep.
People who rate Evangelion with 1, braindead shitstains.
People who rate Madoka:Rebellion higher than the original series. Fuck those plebs.

These people aren't even human for me.
Feb 7, 2017 11:12 AM

Jul 2015
When they say it sucks and don't provide an ANALYSIS of why it sucks. Simply saying it lacks characterization and not showing how it does or providing examples is when I discredit you.
Feb 7, 2017 12:05 PM

May 2010
Well, I don't really read reviews often, but probably when they have COMPLETELY different taste than I do? Like they loved series I found meeh or really hate some of my favourites.

Also, when their mean score is something like ~6.00, or even lower, and many of their scores are 1-3, given even to series I consider okay-ish. Or when they are over analyzing every aspect of some simple comedy series, I can't treat that too seriously.
Feb 7, 2017 12:28 PM

Feb 2014
At the point that it disagrees with mine.
thewiruFeb 7, 2017 12:32 PM
Feb 8, 2017 3:52 AM

Mar 2012
When it comes from Yuuram fujoshits because their brain doesn't work right, their eyes only see outward appearances and their mind is full of a certain tsundere and forced gay sex. All my attempts to communicate with these creatures have horribly failed so far and I've completely given up at this point so their extremely biased opinion is null, invalid to me for the rest of eternity.

Apart from that I know it's useless when even after explaining my side people still keep on repeating the very same thing.

As for reviews, I only read the ones with extremely low ratings because they don't hold back when it comes to mentioning the flaws.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Birthday gifts!!!

Yonahim_Zz - 3 hours ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you feel just not excited for anime these days?

anizawa89 - 12 hours ago

28 by Ratris_Decision »»
10 minutes ago

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre? ( 1 2 )

decco6226 - May 2

74 by windyshadow »»
13 minutes ago

» Are you involved in any fandom activity?

RobertBobert - 7 hours ago

16 by Zarutaku »»
25 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - Apr 24

19 by LeonhartAugust »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.