Forum Settings
Forums

Sick Muslim greencard holder dies a day after being denied travel to the US

New
Jan 31, 2017 10:56 PM

Jan 2013
Hager said he was returning home with his family that included his sick mom. They were returning home to the United States where his mother has lived since 1995. As they were waiting in line at the airport in Iraq on Friday, he was told that he could pass through because he was a U.S. citizen. But his family members - including his mom - weren't allowed, despite holding green cards.

"They destroyed us. I went with my family, I came back by myself. They destroyed our family," Hager said.

Hager was born in Iraq and fled during the Gulf War. He lived in a refugee camp with his family for four years before settling in the United States. In the 2000s, he returned to Iraq where he worked as a contractor for the United States Special forces between 2003 and 2008 as an interpreter and cultural advisor. He even survived being shot in the back while serving.

He's a proud American citizen whose family has now been torn apart.

"The immigration told us that the President of the United States put an order right now - you guys cannot go," he told FOX 2's Amy Lange.

Hager, his niece, and two nephews were traveling with his 75-year-old mother, Naimma, home to Michigan. They traveled to Iraq to visit family and when she fell ill. Hager said he didn't expect it to be a problem for the family to travel since they all had green cards and had lived in the United States for 20 years.

"I was just shocked. I had to put my mom back on the wheelchair and take her back and call the ambulance and she was very very upset. She knew right there if we send her back to the hospital she's going to pass away - she's not going to make it," Hager said.

Sadly, he was right. Naimma, lived in the United States since 1995, wasn't allowed to come home. She died in her native country. Hager said if it weren't for the order, his mom would still be alive today.

He blames her death on President Trump.

I really believe this in my heart: if they would have let us in, my mom - she would have made it and she would have been sitting right here next to me," Hager said. "She's gone because of him."

Just as the family was traveling, President Trump signed an executive order banning travelers from seven majority-Muslim countries.

Travelers from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Libya, Yemen and Somalia are banned from traveling to the United States for 90 days so the country can detect "individuals with terrorist ties and stopping them from entering the United States."

Hager says he has no idea when his nephews and niece will be able to return to the United States and he's worried about his own status - even though he is an American citizen.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/232856168-story
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jan 31, 2017 11:08 PM

Sep 2015
his 75-year-old mother

She died in her native country. Hager said if it weren't for the order, his mom would still be alive today.

I really believe this in my heart

what kind of journalism is that?

Jan 31, 2017 11:15 PM

Dec 2015
"They destroyed us. I went with my family, I came back by myself. They destroyed our family," Hager said.
That's quite the overstatement.

Hager said if it weren't for the order, his mom would still be alive today.
Oh please, the woman was 75 years old.
EDIT: To clarify for the next a-hole that tries to use this to say "oh so edgy" and satisfy his/her inferiority complex: When you get old your body is more frail, there's no guarantee she wouldn't have died hours later even if she was allowed to go to the US.
joe_g7Feb 1, 2017 2:36 PM
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 31, 2017 11:31 PM

Nov 2016
If you're that unwell and need to be taken home in an ambulance you probably shouldn't be flying anyway.
Feb 1, 2017 12:18 AM

Jan 2013
SpamuraiSensei said:
If you're that unwell and need to be taken home in an ambulance you probably shouldn't be flying anyway.
Severely ill patients being flown to hospitals is not an uncommon thing since not all hospitals are equipped to handle every illness and affliction available. The regional hospital I worked at had a helipad to take care of patients their respective hospitals could not handle. Flying to a 1st world hospital to receive treatment is also more preferable to staying in a 3rd world hospital with lackluster doctors and equipment.
joe_g7 said:
He was travelling with his niece, two nephews, and mom.

Now, his mom is dead and he has to go home by himself while his niece and two nephews are in another country.

Hardly an overstatement.

joe_g7 said:
Edgy xD
literally crawling n my skin rite now
Feb 1, 2017 12:25 AM

Jun 2011
If you're outraged by this, just think of the thousands of other innocent civilians the US has killed over there since the start of the Iraq war.
Feb 1, 2017 12:25 AM

Dec 2015
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
joe_g7 said:

Now, his mom is dead and he has to go home by himself while his niece and two nephews are in another country.

Hardly an overstatement.
I doubt his family was "destroyed", split maybe, but not "destroyed", he still has a family even if they're not next to him, it IS an overstatement.
joe_g7Feb 1, 2017 12:32 AM
Feb 1, 2017 12:34 AM

Apr 2013
The whole blocking PRs from moving back into the States was a fucking retarded decision that anyone with half a brain can realize.

But one thing about that lady, if she was that sick wouldn't she have died during the plane ride or after she arrived in the US before getting the treatment she needed?

joe_g7 said:

The edge is so fucking real lmao
Feb 1, 2017 12:35 AM

Jan 2013
joe_g7 said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

Hardly an overstatement.
I doubt his family was "destroyed", split maybe, but not "destroyed", it IS an overstatement.
You do know there are multiple meanings to "destroyed"?

1) put an end to the existence of (something) by damaging or attacking it.

2) ruin (someone) emotionally or spiritually.

3) defeat (someone) utterly.

Look at 2).
Feb 1, 2017 12:50 AM

Dec 2015
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
joe_g7 said:
I doubt his family was "destroyed", split maybe, but not "destroyed", it IS an overstatement.

Look at 2).
At this point you are simply guessing and assuming whichever option suits you. If you say that it is 2), then just as easily I can say that it is 1) or even 3) and you can't prove me wrong in any way, not can I prove you wrong xD. But when a person says "I was destroyed" they usually mean 1), if they mean 2) then they'll most likely add the word "emotionally".
Feb 1, 2017 1:02 AM

Jan 2013
hoopla123 said:
The whole blocking PRs from moving back into the States was a fucking retarded decision that anyone with half a brain can realize.

But one thing about that lady, if she was that sick wouldn't she have died during the plane ride or after she arrived in the US before getting the treatment she needed?
Stress and low willpower can drastically affect your health. Being rejected from medical treatment in the US and having to resort to a 3rd world healthcare system that's been damaged from a dictatorship, war, and shitty economy probably stressed her enough to make her croak.

That's not the main issue though. The real issue is that she was denied a chance at survival because of a poorly implemented plan.
Feb 1, 2017 1:06 AM

Jan 2013
joe_g7 said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

Look at 2).
At this point you are simply guessing and assuming whichever option suits you. If you say that it is 2), then just as easily I can say that it is 1) or even 3) and you can't prove me wrong in any way, not can I prove you wrong xD. But when a person says "I was destroyed" they usually mean 1), if they mean 2) then they'll most likely add the word "emotionally".
That's not how it works dude.

Also, one does not gain autism, one is born with it.

You can stop trying dude.
Feb 1, 2017 1:17 AM

Dec 2015
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
joe_g7 said:

Don't believe everything you think.
Feb 1, 2017 1:22 AM

Jan 2013
joe_g7 said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

Of course. I thought and believed I was going to have a meaningful discussion with reasonable and decent human beings. And then you posted.
Feb 1, 2017 1:26 AM

Dec 2015
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
joe_g7 said:
Of course. I thought and believed I was going to have a meaningful discussion with reasonable and decent human beings. Then you posted.
So it's my fault now? I tried to explain my point and you started talking about autism.
Feb 1, 2017 1:40 AM

Jan 2013
joe_g7 said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
Of course. I thought and believed I was going to have a meaningful discussion with reasonable and decent human beings. Then you posted.
So it's my fault now? I tried to explain my point and you started talking about autism.
Point? Yeah, as a case for your madness, but for the whole discussion?
But when a person says "I was destroyed" they usually mean 1)
Think about it. Just for a moment. Then look at your second post.
Feb 1, 2017 1:50 AM

Dec 2015
@PeenusWeenusCaim Yes, he meant the first one and that's why I'm saying he's overreacting with his words.
joe_g7Feb 1, 2017 2:19 AM
Feb 1, 2017 2:43 AM

Jan 2013
joe_g7 said:
@PeenusWeenusCaim Yes, he meant the first one and that's why I'm saying he's overreacting with his words.
And what makes you think that? Obviously his family is still there, so logically, it is not the first one.

You're trying too hard.
Feb 1, 2017 2:47 AM

Sep 2015
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
hoopla123 said:

Stress and low willpower can drastically affect your health. Being rejected from medical treatment in the US and having to resort to a 3rd world healthcare system that's been damaged from a dictatorship, war, and shitty economy probably stressed her enough to make her croak.

That's not the main issue though. The real issue is that she was denied a chance at survival because of a poorly implemented plan.

well millions of people are denied a chance at surival every day. she lives in a country for 22 years without applying for citizenship? it's her own fault.

also "fell ill" is a wide term. e.g. if she died of a stroke her chances of surivel aren't much higher in the us at the age of 75 than in iraq.
the story sounds like fox wanted something similar to this with more drama that shows the negative consequenzen of the executive order, but only got this old woman

Feb 1, 2017 3:46 AM

Jan 2013
Nigami_Shin said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

well millions of people are denied a chance at surival every day. she lives in a country for 22 years without applying for citizenship? it's her own fault.

also "fell ill" is a wide term. e.g. if she died of a stroke her chances of surivel aren't much higher in the us at the age of 75 than in iraq.
the story sounds like fox wanted something similar to this with more drama that shows the negative consequenzen of the executive order, but only got this old woman
She has a green card dude. Legally, that's all you need to travel to the US and it's been like that for years. Do I need to be a citizen of Germany to travel to Germany? Do I have to apply for Canadian citizenship to go to Canada? Do I need to apply for citizenship for every country I travel to?

Also what? "Bad things happen every day so this bad thing..."

Stop being retarded. Skepticism can only take you so far.
PeenusWeenusCaimFeb 1, 2017 3:51 AM
Feb 1, 2017 4:01 AM

Jun 2010
Nigami_Shin said:

Exactly this. As if an old woman that died the same day after falling ill would've lived long enough to last a flight which takes about a day. There's thousands, if not millions of people that died due to US foreign involvement already, I'm not really surprised anymore.

Besides which, didn't Trump allow green card holders through? Like, the same day?
When the voice from the shadows calls you
When the wind whips past your ears
Will you stand when the weight is upon you
Or will you go to your knees in fear?
Feb 1, 2017 4:12 AM

Sep 2015
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
Nigami_Shin said:

She has a green card dude. Legally, that's all you need to travel to the US and it's been like that for years. Do I need to be a citizen of Germany to travel to Germany? Do I have to apply for Canadian citizenship to go to Canada? Do I need to apply for citizenship for every country I travel to?

maybe you should take some time to think about the stuff you write before you call others a retard. she didn't travel to the us, she lived there - for 22 years.
And yes i expect from people to apply for citizenship if they live or plan to live in germany for a long time.

Feb 1, 2017 4:33 AM

Jan 2013
Nigami_Shin said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

maybe you should take some time to think about the stuff you write before you call others a retard. she didn't travel to the us, she lived there - for 22 years.
And?

Again, she has a green card. She's legally entitled to travel and/or live in the US as she desires. That's the system and it has been like that for years in America.

Saying it's her fault for not being able to travel to the US despite having the legal right to do so is downright stupid. It's illogical victim-blaming. Trump successfully stopped the TPP. He managed to 4-D chess Mexico. This ban; however, is a downright failure of a plan.
And yes i expect from people to apply for citizenship if they live or plan to live in germany for a long time.
That was a rhetorical question. You weren't supposed to answer it kraut. Germany is a shitty country anyways.

Maybe you should stop acting dumb and think for a sec.
Feb 1, 2017 4:51 AM

Dec 2015
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
joe_g7 said:
And what makes you think that? Obviously his family is still there, so logically, it is not the first one.

You're trying too hard.
Yeah maybe I am haha xD
Feb 1, 2017 4:54 AM

Jan 2015
While I like the general idea of the ban (although it's not that important for the US - the European Union should do the same asap), I think some changes should be made. Like, only ban people from those countries if they spent less than 2-3 years in the US, or ban those who frequently go back and forth between the US and their home country. This lady had lived in the US for 20 years and she was 75 years old, I doubt she was a threat to the Americans.

Pretty sad, tbh.
Feb 1, 2017 5:13 AM

Sep 2015
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
Nigami_Shin said:

And?

Again, she has a green card. She's legally entitled to travel and/or live in the US as she desires. That's the system and it has been like that for years in America.

Saying it's her fault for not being able to travel to the US despite having the legal right to do so is downright stupid. It's illogical victim-blaming. Trump successfully stopped the TPP. He managed to 4-D chess Mexico. This ban; however, is a downright failure of a plan.
That was a rhetorical question. You weren't supposed to answer it kraut. Germany is a shitty country anyways.

first of all i didn't answer any rhetorical question of yours or is
"And yes i expect from people to apply for citizenship if they live or plan to live in germany for a long time." the answer to "Do I need to be a citizen of Germany to travel to Germany?"? Right, it isn't. I thought that was clear, but maybe i should consider that there are also handicapped people on mal.

Well the incident showed that she didn't have the legal right to travel back to the us. isn't that exactly the point? it seems that you don't even understand the fox article. it criticizes or shows the negative consequences of the executive order. the fact that she was denied entry isn't illegal.

And to finish my last post in this thread; what country are you from? UK? i don't even want to commentate that
Nigami_ShinFeb 1, 2017 5:17 AM

Feb 1, 2017 6:07 AM

Jul 2015
@joe_g7 You lost any credibility in this discussion at least 4 posts ago. Swallow your pride and stop trying to make comebacks, it's embarassing :x. Nice edge btw hehehe.

OT: it sucks for America I guess... TBH Trump will probably ruin any influence the USA still had in 4 years and I can see China being the mot influential country when his presidency ends.
DeathkoFeb 1, 2017 6:27 AM
Feb 1, 2017 6:18 AM

Jun 2016
We all knew this kind of stuff was bound to happen after the executive order, this system could do with some reforms already that's for sure.

Also Jesus wept, all this namecalling makes this thread look like a certain Hungarian parliament meeting in 1989, it makes y'all look silly.
Feb 1, 2017 10:02 AM
Dec 2016
Indian Muslim from my state wasn't given visa to attend a sports event in US . Seems like its extended to Muslims from other places .
"You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny. " -Brihdaranyak Upanishad
Feb 1, 2017 10:14 AM

May 2009
I don't like Donald or his policies and it looks like he is trying to make enemies more than help. But I don't see how this is related to the death of this guy's mom. She fell ill during the visit and they were going to go back home to the U.S but were not able to so they call an ambulance and he says she is upset because she knows she won't make it.

Okay then that means you wouldn't have made it through the would be flight either. So tough cookies. If the woman had a history of being sick before this, it was their own gamble to take. Watch the new next time and pay attention. With this kind of president you really can't afford not to watch it if you're not a US citizen.
Feb 1, 2017 10:15 AM

Jul 2014
HaanFrost said:
Indian Muslim from my state wasn't given visa to attend a sports event in US . Seems like its extended to Muslims from other places .
Probably dual citizen.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Feb 1, 2017 10:19 AM
Dec 2016
Rothion said:
HaanFrost said:
Probably dual citizen.

Um ..... India doesn't allow dual citizenship .

Off Topic : My brother is an IT professional in America . I wonder what will happen to him . He is new there .
"You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny. " -Brihdaranyak Upanishad
Feb 1, 2017 10:25 AM

Jul 2014
HaanFrost said:
Rothion said:
Probably dual citizen.

Off Topic : My brother is an IT professional in America . I wonder what will happen to him . He is new there .
lol I should have read a bit about the subject, he probably got OCI then.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Feb 1, 2017 10:29 AM
Dec 2016
Rothion said:
HaanFrost said:

lol I should have read a bit about the subject, he probably got OCI then.

I don't know .......... Let me open a thread about it ^^
Feb 1, 2017 11:22 AM

Mar 2014
That part of Trump's new ban is particularly retarded, I am more in favor of it than against it but I don't see why green card holders shouldn't have the right to enter the U.S.
joe_g7 said:

Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 1, 2017 11:51 AM

Jan 2013
Nigami_Shin said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
And?

first of all i didn't answer any rhetorical question of yours or is
"And yes i expect from people to apply for citizenship if they live or plan to live in germany for a long time." the answer to "Do I need to be a citizen of Germany to travel to Germany?"? Right, it isn't. I thought that was clear, but maybe i should consider that there are also handicapped people on mal.
Again, stop being retarded. Changing the subject and direction of the argument will not help you, nor cover up your foolishness.
1) The old lady has a greencard
2) The greencard allows anyone to travel and/or live in the US as a permanent resident.
3) Trump denied the old lady of rightful passage into the US despite her having the legal right to do so.

This is 100% a mistake on Trump's side and no amount of mental excercises can help you here.
"b-b-but it's her fault, she should have gotten a citizenship"
That's retarded and absurd. If every motherfucker has to apply for citizenship for every country he travels to, the world would be a more isolated and inconvenient place.

And no, you did answer a rhetorical question. Back to German schooling little boy. At least it's free there.

Well the incident showed that she didn't have the legal right to travel back to the us. isn't that exactly the point? it seems that you don't even understand the fox article. it criticizes or shows the negative consequences of the executive order. the fact that she was denied entry isn't illegal.
She has a green card. She's legally allowed to travel to America. Also, America follows the Consitution first and foremost. The President's word is secondary bullshit in comparison to the words of the Constitution. If anything, what Trump did was illegal, as it violates the Constitution's 1st, 5th, and 14th amendment along with many other established immigration laws that have been in America for years. Already, part of Trump's order has been rightfully overturned by federal judges, with more lawyers working to overturn more parts of the order due to its unconsitutionality. German education.

And to finish my last post in this thread; what country are you from? UK? i don't even want to commentate that
My country is irrelevant. Last post though? Good riddance.
Feb 1, 2017 12:00 PM

Jan 2013
Comic_Sans said:
That part of Trump's new ban is particularly retarded, I am more in favor of it than against it but I don't see why green card holders shouldn't have the right to enter the U.S.
joe_g7 said:

I'm actually fine with the "no refugees" bit. I still remember sharing a few laughs on this board when Merkel vowed to bring

8 0 0 K
K

refugees into Germany. This order is just so bad though. The intentions are there but the execution is very flawed with it applying to greencard. I'd give this 2/10 at most. Mexican 4D chess was 8/10 and signing out of TPP was 9/10 tbh though.
Feb 1, 2017 12:02 PM
Jul 2018
Nigami_Shin said:

what kind of journalism is that?
It's called click-bait.
Feb 1, 2017 12:45 PM

Apr 2012
http://archive.is/bgDnP

This smells like more fake news.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Feb 1, 2017 1:56 PM

Dec 2015
Clebardman said:
@joe_g7 You lost any credibility in this discussion at least 4 posts ago. Swallow your pride and stop trying to make comebacks, it's embarassing :x. Nice edge btw hehehe

I don't need you to tell me what to do, you SHOULD have realised by my last post that I realised my mistake and stopped, but I guess that's too hard for you.
Feb 1, 2017 4:19 PM

Jul 2015
@joe_g7 I didn't go much further than the post about definitions, I was too butthurt to keep reading and decided it was enough CE for today. This subforum is pushing me to the Dark Side, sorry :c
Feb 1, 2017 4:28 PM

Oct 2014
Trump's own new DHS secretary John F. Kelly who only just got sworn in has already revised this aspect of the EO to allow green-card holders to return. This "ban" has only affected green-card holders for, like, 3 or so days.
Feb 1, 2017 4:31 PM

Oct 2015
Narmy said:
If you're outraged by this, just think of the thousands of other innocent civilians the US has killed over there since the start of the Iraq war.

Not to mention the millions of innocents killed in genocides caused by military coups directly backed by the CIA (e.g. Pinochet in Chile, Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, Timor genocide etc.)

U.S foreign policy is probably responsible for more deaths than Nazi Germany funnily enough.
Feb 1, 2017 4:46 PM

Jun 2011
Lobinde said:
Narmy said:

Not to mention the millions of innocents killed in genocides caused by military coups directly backed by the CIA (e.g. Pinochet in Chile, Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, Timor genocide etc.)

U.S foreign policy is probably responsible for more deaths than Nazi Germany funnily enough.

ISIS itself is a US creation as well.
Feb 1, 2017 4:51 PM
Apr 2013
Lobinde said:

The CIA did not back the Khmer Rouge they backed the Khmer People's National Liberation Front; the US only provided military weapons to the Indonesian government it didn't tell them what to do with them; the CIA didn't bring Pinochet to power, though they wanted to, though they did convince the government to work with Pinochet and besides he was a hero.
Shoryu said:
Aureolus
Life-enhancing-body-suits are good and all, but they can't protect you against the void.
Shoryu said:
Hopefully a better quote in the near future
Become a friend of Blahkabelison, they're a female.
Feb 1, 2017 6:36 PM

Apr 2012
Grey-Zone said:
Trump's own new DHS secretary John F. Kelly who only just got sworn in has already revised this aspect of the EO to allow green-card holders to return. This "ban" has only affected green-card holders for, like, 3 or so days.
And didn't affect this dude's mother. She died before his executive order. My archive above talks about it.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.