Forum Settings
Forums

How much can a ending change your perspective on a series ?

New
Jan 3, 2017 10:19 AM

Apr 2016
For example, you are watching a great series with a well built plot and likeable cast of characters, but the ending or the final episode sucks, how much does that affect your point of view on the series ?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 3, 2017 10:26 AM

Feb 2016
From +2 to -5 rating... the latter happens way too many times, sadly.. Can't japanese start writing proper endings to their stories and not flip shit by 180 degrees in the last moment??? Ending is probably the most important and memorable part of the story for me, ruin the end and you ruin everything.
Jan 3, 2017 10:28 AM

Jul 2015
so much
school days ending make it worth watching
code geass ending make it one of my fav

unlike Clannad as ending that makes me regret watching the whole thing
(not to mention when my ship sink in the last episode = cant give it more than 4/10 )
Jan 3, 2017 10:29 AM

Oct 2013
good question man
I honestly don't know but I would guess a lot since when I watched Watashi ga Motete Dousunda and it tried to be mature at the end only to give me the middle finger by having the girl reject everyone it went from a 6 to a 4 really quick for me
Jan 3, 2017 10:31 AM

Dec 2015
A lot, take example Nisekoi, the last chapter was marriage after a time skip -a Toradora ending you could say, with the girl he chose (I'm not gonna say who he chose), I mean, that's the MOST cliché ending you could get, very disappointing.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 3, 2017 10:37 AM

Feb 2015
And then.

EP01: Oppai
EP02: Oppai
EP03: Oppai
EP04: Drama + Oppai
EP05: Plot armor + Drama + New kouhai introduction + Oppai
EP06: Oppai
EP07: Drama + Oppai
EP08: Nakama power + New busty female nurse + Oppai + another loli kouhai
EP09: Xmas event + Oppai + Super fast romance development
EP010: MC chooses which is the best gril
EP011: Oppai + more thinking
EP012: MC choose tsundere heroine + Oppai + fans suicides seeing their ship sunk + waifu wars yet again

Mhhhh... Now I don't know how... Interesting...

tragedydesu said:

not to mention when my ship sink in the last episode = cant give it more than 4/10

joe_g7 said:
A lot, take example Nisekoi, the last chapter was marriage after a time skip -a Toradora ending you could say, with the girl he chose (I'm not gonna say who he chose), I mean, that's the MOST cliché ending you could get, very disappointing.

Well... In Nisekoi, I still believe to this day that the mangaka just tried to play it and tries to make it happen, but at the end mangaka-san tried too hard. That instead of shipping the MC I shipped the supporting characters instead.
_Ako_Jan 3, 2017 10:43 AM
Jan 3, 2017 10:39 AM

Sep 2013
Kind of depends on it. If it's an episodic anime, it would bother me less. Same with comedy and echhi. Their goals are to entertain you on the spot, each episode.

When an anime centers around a story, rather than fanservice or skits, the ending needs to be almost perfect.The feeling when you're watching each episode until the last is different. You're less satisfied and more curious about what's to come, making you play with your imagination and fantasize. You keep setting the bar higher, which makes the ending to important to neglect.

Jan 2016
Sun-Ken Rock ending was like a -4 but art and tiddies are a +2 so i gave it a 5 .

Dec 2016
Oreimo is a classic case.

I think endings really make or break a story. When you first start an anime/manga you always have foreshadowings and thoughts of how endings work. I think as frequent and heavy anime watchers we've become accustomed to assuming that every anime will have common or obvious endings. So when an author tends to stray away from the path of obvious endings (main characters dying, unresolved romances, open futures, etc.) that creates a community stir; either the community will laud it or be absolutely baffled.

Or you can be like me and pray to all the gods that the light novel/manga will have a better ending.
Jan 3, 2017 10:47 AM
Apr 2015
Nurarihyon no Mago: Sennen Makyou

The second season was much better than the first, also it had such a build up through the season but the ending ruined the whole build up. I had to read the manga for the continuation as so far there is no season 3 adaptation.
Jan 3, 2017 10:48 AM
Feb 2016
Episodes 1-1786 of Doraemon were amazing but episode 1787 was horrible so i could only give 2/10 :(
Jan 3, 2017 10:50 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i don't really care as long as the series overall was entertaining
Jan 3, 2017 10:52 AM

Dec 2015
_Ako_ said:
joe_g7 said:

Well... In Nisekoi, I still believe to this day that the mangaka just tried to play it and tries to make it happen, but at the end mangaka-san tried too hard. That instead of shipping the MC I shipped the supporting characters instead.
He stretched it too far, re-used the same jokes and gave us a crappy ending, believe me when I tell you that I have laughed a lot with the manga, but the length ruined it.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 3, 2017 10:55 AM

Jun 2015
At least -1 to whatever I had it scored as before, could be worse depending how much that particular series needed to get wrapped up.
Jan 3, 2017 10:56 AM

Feb 2010
Not very much. I rarely care too much about the story anyway, it's more about the characters and sharing their experiences. And even within the story the journey is much more important to me than the finish. I spend a lot more time watching the first 25 episodes compared to just on episode 26 after all. If a show was a hype 10/10 95% of the time a disappointing finale won't lower it to less than a 9. Making the whole judgment of a show dependent on one small part, ignoring all the rest, just isn't my thing.

The only shows that will really suffer a significant lowering of my score after the finale are the one who have been underwhelming for the most part but with potential and a mediocre ending just clarifies that we'll never see this potential come to fruition. Because while shows are still airing/while I still watch them I rate based on the potential I perceive, but if a show never cashs in on it the finale can mean lowering my score by 2 or 3 for the final verdict.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 3, 2017 10:57 AM

Mar 2013
I don't allow it to happen very often as i like to give score to series as a whole, not only parts of it.

However, when it does, it has a great impact. Angel Beats would be a good example at how ending can change a whole experience up to that point for me.
Patiently waiting for the best day of my life, the day when i die.
Jan 3, 2017 11:02 AM

Nov 2008
Quite a bit, actually.

Not every story needs a happy ending, but it does need a satisfying one. When a good story manages to reel me in, I sink hours into it. I invested my time in it. I come to care about the characters and their quest. So when an amazing show gives me a less than satisfying ending, it almost feels like I've been betrayed.

Even if the rest of the story was amazing, the entire thing can come undone if the ending leaves me disappointed.
Jan 3, 2017 11:13 AM

Aug 2015
Usually not much... But there's some series that just get too awful at the end.
Ex: Bleach, it goes downhill from 10 to 6 from me.

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jan 3, 2017 11:15 AM
Jul 2018
The ending is what inevitably ties the whole story together. It doesn't have to be happy, but it definitely has to be satisfying. It has to make you feel like all the time you put into a show was worth it.

Of course you can have exceptions, like comedies, where most of the time the plot is just an excuse to tell jokes and have a good time. In those cases, as long as the rest of the show is enjoyable, the ending doesn't really impact a lot.
Jan 3, 2017 11:19 AM

Feb 2011
i feel like everyone in this thread needs to go watch samurai flamenco so they can experience the most drastic WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK perspective changes like 10 times in one series
Jan 3, 2017 11:19 AM

May 2016
_Ako_ said:
And then.

EP01: Oppai
EP02: Oppai
EP03: Oppai
EP04: Drama + Oppai
EP05: Plot armor + Drama + New kouhai introduction + Oppai
EP06: Oppai
EP07: Drama + Oppai
EP08: Nakama power + New busty female nurse + Oppai + another loli kouhai
EP09: Xmas event + Oppai + Super fast romance development
EP010: MC chooses which is the best gril
EP011: Oppai + more thinking
EP012: MC choose tsundere heroine + Oppai + fans suicides seeing their ship sunk + waifu wars yet again

I can't tell if this is a normal harem or a battle harem. What would you need plot armor and nakama power in the former?

Endings can prevent me from completely hating a series if the ending is good enough, on the flip side a bad ending can massively slow the hype train on a show I like. In MAL sense, a +/- 1 or 2 point(s) difference.
Jan 3, 2017 11:23 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Depends on the genre a lot. For a mystery show it can change it completely. For a plotless moe comedy... probably not so much

The biggest drop I've made for a show from having a shitty ending is probably like -4. Biggest boost I can't think of atm but probably +3 or so
Jan 3, 2017 11:25 AM

May 2015
Well ending is one of crucial part of anime, so... a lot (in point scale even by 4 points I guess).
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 3, 2017 11:30 AM

Jul 2014
For me I think the ending has importance; but I don't think I can rate a show I felt was good up until the end with a negative score since the journey is/ arguably more important.

At the end of the day I just think of it a good/enjoyable show with a bad ending.
Jan 3, 2017 11:32 AM

Jul 2013
Depends of how atrocious the ending is. If is something very, very bad, I can even end giving it a lower score (of course if we talk just about the final episode, not necessarily the final half of the series).
Jan 3, 2017 11:35 AM

Feb 2013
i only watch the ending, so it's 100% of my perspective
Jan 3, 2017 11:36 AM

Mar 2012
How much? Well so much that I'll bring down my rating of 10/10 to 1/10, remove it as well as the creators out of my favorites list. So far only happened with my ex-favorite manga though. I'd do the same with anime.

Basically this is how it went:
1-78: Plot + good likable characters
My rating: 10/10
79-95: Plot and characters going downhill slightly
My rating: Still 10/10, I'm sure they have some plans ahead to explain everything...
95-107: Fan-service!!!!
108: Fan-service!! Fan-service!! Fan-service!! Fujo pandering!! Fujo pandering!! Fuck you plot!!
My rating: 4/10
109-117: Fuck you everything! Get lost female characters! We only need males for the sake of fujo pandering!!!!!
My rating: 1/10, fuck you creators!
Jan 3, 2017 11:39 AM
Jun 2016
are yall seriously talking about taking up to 4 points off an anime just because it has a bad ending?

look at the anime in the grand scheme of it all, if you enjoyed yourself thoroughly and would give it a 10/10, but you didnt like the ending, should you really give it a 6/10? thats totally discounting the fun you've had watching the series or how great other aspects of the series are.

although i will admit im not exactly an expert in anime, it seems rather obvious to me to rate based on the overall quality. the most i would take off for a bad ending is a point at best.

put it simply, if 11/12 episodes are masterpieces, then why does 1 episode degrade it to fine? that means it's atleast 91.667% a masterpiece
'ate gundam
Jan 3, 2017 12:23 PM

Apr 2015
The last 4 episodes can make or break a series if it is aiming for a perfect rating.

For example, NGE. Everything up to episode 23 makes it worth of a 9 or a 'low' 10. Then Episode 24 happens, and the rating dips at least two whole points, and the last two episodes are barely able to salvage it back into the 8's.

At the same time, a mediocre, or worse, series, can be improved into relative competency or plunge into horrible in relation to the finale. Hell Girl hovers around a 4 until the last 4 episodes raise it to a 5, while Narutaru dived from 3 to 1 in the last three episodes.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jan 3, 2017 12:40 PM

May 2016
It depends on how much I like the series:

1.The more I like the anime the less its bad ending affects the score.
If I love the anime its ending won't make me start disliking it. The max it could do is make me go from loving it to just liking it, but when you translate that to the rating system it doesn't mean much.

2.The more I dislike the anime the less its bad ending affects the score.
If I dislike the anime its ending won't make much more than to add up to the pile of reasons why I dislike it. -

Taking the two facts above into account, a bad ending have its biggest impact when the anime in question is one that I don't love nor dislike, a good/decent anime.

In my rating system, a good/decent anime range from 5 to 7 and the biggest effect a bad ending can ever have on animes in that range is -3 points.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jan 3, 2017 1:53 PM

Nov 2013
A good or great ending changes my opinion for the better. Like with Selector Infected WIXOSS and Selector Spread WIXOSS. I liked both very much already, but the endings awarded them a +1.

The ending of Jormungand Perfect Order on the other hand was such a fuck up, that I had to detract one point.

It depends on the impact and how it's done. WIXOSS ended on a high note, which made me appreciate the show even more.

Clannad After Story's ending felt a bit awkward, but didn't change my opinion overall.

The ending of Jormungand Perfect Order changed my opinion for the worse, since it makes little sense and renders Jonah's character development moot.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 9, 2017 3:56 PM
Jun 2015
In most shows I think the ending is what makes or breaks a show because most anime gradually get worse the longer it goes on. The introduction episodes are often what draws the viewer in because of the novelty of its premise and its hook. The first few episodes are often the best and once it gets around the half way point most shows that had potential start to become a drudge to watch because they were adapted from manga. Do you think waiting for the chance of good ending pay off is worth it or do you drop it immediately after the episodes start to get boring? I feel I am more of the former because finding a show that is engaging from the beginning to end seems to be rare with anime.
Jan 9, 2017 3:58 PM
Feb 2015
i tend to watch a whole show unless it bored me to tears but i do think an ending can save or kill a show since its the last thing you think about when your finished it
Jan 9, 2017 3:59 PM

Jul 2014
I'm a "completionist" so the ending is a "make it or break it" for me. Rarely do I ever drop shows.

Mod Edit: Removed backseat modding. We got it ^^
ShockedJan 11, 2017 2:59 AM
Jan 9, 2017 4:06 PM

Feb 2010
Not very much. I rarely care too much about the story anyway, it's more about the characters and sharing their experiences. And even within the story the journey is much more important to me than the finish. I spend a lot more time watching the first 25 episodes compared to just on episode 26 after all. If a show was a hype 10/10 95% of the time a disappointing finale won't lower it to less than a 9. Depending on the genre and setting it's often not hard for me to know where a show is going so the final episodes often aren't my favorites because they're just acting out the inevitable events I expected, but as long as the journey there is fun and the characters are likable and/or interesting I don't particularly care. Making the whole judgment of a show dependent on one small part, ignoring all the rest, just isn't my thing.

The only shows that will really suffer a significant lowering of my score after the finale are the one who have been underwhelming for the most part but with potential and a mediocre ending just clarifies that we'll never see this potential come to fruition. Because while shows are still airing/while I still watch them I rate based on the potential I perceive, but if a show never cashs in on it the finale can mean lowering my score by 2 or 3 for the final verdict.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 9, 2017 4:08 PM

Oct 2013
15poundfish said:
Do you think waiting for the chance of good ending pay off is worth it or do you drop it immediately after the episodes start to get boring?
What I do if a series doesn't do much to keep me interested for a long period of time is just watch the last 10 or 5 minutes of the series honestly and then drop it from the last official episode I watched so to say
like recently I did so with Incited and Maison Ikkoku
I did the same with Ranma with the only difference being that I read the last chapter of the manga instead of watching the ending of the anime because it never got to the end of the manga according to a friend of mine
Jan 9, 2017 4:18 PM
Jun 2015
Deknijff said:
15poundfish said:
Do you think waiting for the chance of good ending pay off is worth it or do you drop it immediately after the episodes start to get boring?
What I do if a series doesn't do much to keep me interested for a long period of time is just watch the last 10 or 5 minutes of the series honestly and then drop it from the last official episode I watched so to say
like recently I did so with Incited and Maison Ikkoku
I did the same with Ranma with the only difference being that I read the last chapter of the manga instead of watching the ending of the anime because it never got to the end of the manga according to a friend of mine
I do this a lot a shows, I watched through maison ikkoku because of the growth of the main characters, although the neighbor tenants always screwing up his life is often what delayed or hurt the show. That show did have an ending unlike Ranma where even the manga's ending was bad.
Jan 9, 2017 4:25 PM

Jan 2013
OppaiSugoi said:
I'm a "completionist" so the ending is a "make it or break it" for me. Rarely do I ever drop shows.
I'm pretty sure that makes you a masochist if anything.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
ShockedJan 11, 2017 2:59 AM
Jan 9, 2017 5:16 PM

May 2015
Endings do matter a lot to me; the ending to your series should always be a satisfying experience to top off the show. A shitty ending can certainly ruin a series that I liked at the start, such as Flip Flappers.

I don't look for endings to pay-off watching a series; a series can have a meh or bad endings but still have been a worthwhile watch anyways.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jan 9, 2017 7:35 PM
Feb 2015
They're only really important for me if an anime is mediocre/average. If an anime is very good, a bad ending won't ruin it for me, and likewise, if an anime is bad, a good ending won't save it. A mediocre anime on the other hand, can be saved or ruined by its ending.
Jan 9, 2017 7:37 PM

Jul 2016
For me, It's the journey and experiences that we share with the characters that I enjoy more, but If it has a nice ending, then it'll leave a longer lasting memory for me.
Jan 9, 2017 7:40 PM

Apr 2016
It's pretty damn important, about twice as important as your average episode given that a true finale is supposed to tie up everything and deliver the most fitting payoff.

You could even say...that the ending is paramount. props if you get which YouTuber spawned that phrase
Jan 9, 2017 7:47 PM

Dec 2013
They can make or break a show. It's the last experience and farewell to the characters that you're supposed to care about. If it's awful it can ruin an otherwise great series. If it's great it can possibly save a series that might have went off the rails. I can't really call a series good if it ends badly. That's supposed to be the payoff, not the low point.
Jan 9, 2017 7:49 PM

Sep 2016
Basically the ending is the third most important thing after the character building and climax, storywise. I've seen some animes rated lowly for their ending
and while a good story does attract a ton of viewers, a bad ending
would ruin the show. Likewise, a superb ending will give the impression of a very good anime to people.

Basically it's just like this. Imagine a fantasy anime with a story that hit all of your feelings hard only to know that in the end the fantasy world is just in MC's dream. Pretty shitty, right?

TBH I prefer sad endings to happy endings. Sad endings are what makes a story an epic.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2017 7:54 PM

Feb 2015
Pretty sure the ending is always important, unless its a slice of life and has no plot.

I'll use Soul Eater as an example. I really liked the show until the end. It was very clear that it was rushed, therefore having a bad ending, resulting in its success overall. If it ended better, I would have given it probably a 9 or maybe even 10 (I gave it an 8 despite its ending, I know, pretty damn high rating but you get my point.), and I know the overall ratings would be higher.

I know there are others, but that one comes to mind first lol
Jan 10, 2017 10:11 AM

May 2015
I'm not sure if it can totally break the anime, but the ending is crucial. The ending is the conclusion of the ideas. A book about philosophy that doesn't progress isn't useful. We need to see this progression of ideas.

...Or maybe we don't. I'm reading McLuhan and lineariy loses its attraction to me. Maybe the ending and conclusion aren't so important, but how the ideas interact overall.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 10, 2017 10:14 AM

Apr 2011
The ending is very important, since that's where there's supposed to be a conclusion and a climax. That's why it kinda sucks when it's unfinished or half-assed.
Jan 10, 2017 12:05 PM

Feb 2015
I usually rate an anime (0 to 10) when I finish it. Only say that if the end doesn't finish like I would (maybe depends a lil bit on the opinion), low note. Sorry but not sorry.
I mean, you can be liking what you're watching, but the end always is important.
Jan 10, 2017 12:58 PM
Feb 2016
Episodes 1-1786 of Doraemon were amazing but episode 1787 was horrible so i could only give 2/10 :(
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime tropes you want to see more of

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

13 by joseifan »»
3 minutes ago

» what kind of fashion

arhttr - 2 hours ago

7 by Tirinchas »»
14 minutes ago

» Incomplete Anime

him5012 - Yesterday

6 by Spunkert »»
41 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 10

99 by Saiunknown »»
1 hour ago

» List of canceled anime.

ZXEAN - Yesterday

34 by ZXEAN »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.