Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 4, 2016 6:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Geez, Hawthorne isn't messing around.

Then again, I guess they shouldn't ever underestimate Port Mafia members especially bombers like Kaiji. The feud between Guild and Port Mafia is pretty dramatic, especially seeing Akutagawa getting involved as well. I think the episode did a good job at capturing the thrills of the darker side of this show.

This episode also made me like Akiko even more :D
A lot of mind games going around.
Stark700Nov 4, 2016 6:54 AM
Nov 4, 2016 6:55 AM

Nov 2007
Mafia writing a letter to Guild that they would bomb the ship, but the bomb user from Mafia got caught. He don't get defeated, though. "Bishop" from Guild (and sometimes his apprentice) vs. OnoKen's character. It also talks about defeat. He won them?

HiroC's character, in defense team, asked to call offense teams back from his detective skill. Too late because Mamo's character's ex-partner is the one who followed them and he already arrived. He came for giving out Guild information. It seems like he also gave Guild about main group's information.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 4, 2016 9:01 AM
Apr 2016
THE OTP HAWTHORNE AND MITCHELL. I'm sad they cut out some funny parts such as Steinbeck doing an impression of Chuuya and Lovecraft being weird and tired.

Judging from the title of the next episode, I'm very worried because The Will of the Tycoon Chapter wasn't supposed to come next episode but rather next next episode if they were to animate 3 chapters per episode.
Nov 4, 2016 9:44 AM

Jan 2015
Somehow I feel some "sorry" for Akutagawa when he's fighting with that current condition. But well, since he don't really care about it either.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Nov 4, 2016 9:58 AM

Dec 2015
When they know it's a trap but still can't help going in. Port Mafia brought some good game this episode.

Hmm, they didn't bring Naomi with them to the secret base. She doesn't have an ability right?
Nov 4, 2016 10:26 AM

Sep 2015
starlightshine said:

Hmm, they didn't bring Naomi with them to the secret base. She doesn't have an ability right?

yup she doesn't

The guild didn't kill that bomber ... that lemon rain was so unexpected xD
Nov 4, 2016 10:36 AM

Mar 2016
Really good episode . Though i expected Hawthorne's ability to be pure red since blood manipulation . Hawthorne and akutagawa are going fast on each other, you can't see the english aphabets in Hawthorne's ability unless you pause the video lol . Guild took a heavy hit this episode due to kaji sneaky lemon bomb rain attack (i like this man's over the top scientist persona) and akutagawa ambush despite Mori's warning . Some may not be fans of akutagawa, but i like his savagery and barbaric use of rashoumon. Doesn't hesitate to go all out . They nailed the jaws of endless gates.

As a chuuya fan, seeing him go in at akiko (who is as bae as always) and kenji was great . Gravity and object strength manipulation was well displayed . Also setting the bait (which they know will be too precious to miss on) for the guild and at the same time informing the agency of what they did to set up stage for both agency and guild to fight while port mafia kicks back and doesn't lift a finger . Seriously, the mafia is nothing without Mori's brilliance .

Trivia :
"The Scarlet Letter" is a story about a man's path for redemption and atonement . The story portrays themes of guilt and sin . So it's fitting to see Hawthorne here as priest whose ability is the promise of atonement and passing down judgement on the sinful.

Now we're done with irmão vs Diablo . So Yes for next episode !!
Next episode Light Snow and Doppo Poet Vs The Great Old One and Grapes of Wraths (advice: don't eat grapes while watching)
Best boys of the guild steinbeck and Lovecraft showcase their savagery .
I hope they don't cut down on the funny and comedic moments. Idc if people think it's out of place, but imo it adds to the characters . Like when kenji admired city folks like chuuya for not having the hat fall when using his ability lol. it adds to his naïve county side nature .
I'm also kinda worried if they're going to adapt 4 chapters next episode . But we may see shota boy (see my avatar lol)
Shishou_23Nov 4, 2016 11:19 AM
Nov 4, 2016 10:43 AM

Dec 2014
A lot of really interesting tactics here and there.

Still really wish they can still get to the backstory behind Atsushi's orphanage. (I know it exists in the manga, but I'm not sure if the anime will get to it or not; Considering a 3rd season is extremely unlikely and the OVAs are a mystery in it of themselves as to what they'll contain)
Nov 4, 2016 11:30 AM
Apr 2016
Burger-Meister said:
and the OVAs are a mystery in it of themselves as to what they'll contain)

The OVA plot is already revealed. It will adapt chapter 40, that's a self-contained story starring Kunikida.
Nov 4, 2016 11:37 AM

Nov 2016
I've stopped trying to understand this anime's release schedule.

I'm not exactly fond of Akutagawa, but nice fight! I hope he gets rid of those two Guild members.

Ranpo's eyes are pretty.
Nov 4, 2016 11:44 AM

Dec 2014
welll that was something... I like how episode come so fast... to me sometimes it seems two episodes per week
Nov 4, 2016 11:59 AM
Mar 2016
Man, that Port Mafia boss is sooo bad that he made the first move, so how the fuck was Margaret able to still threw herself onto the Bishop in order to protect Akutagawa despite of multiple stabbed wounds?> Welp, that one gifted user down, I hope Akutagawa dies.
Nov 4, 2016 12:54 PM

Nov 2015
The fight reminded me of Deadman Wonderland.

Nov 4, 2016 2:06 PM

May 2014
I haven't said it before, but I really do love the Port Mafia members!
I'm so glad that Chuuya is back in the picture too...so it looks like the Agency and Port Mafia might be temporarily teaming up to take out the guild? I sure hope so!

It was nice to see Ranpo again too! He seems to be opening his eyes a lot more, which I like bc they're positively gorgeous I actually think he's hotter than Dazai tbh
Looking forward to next ep, but I'm kinda worried about Kunikida and Tanizaki...can they really win against two guild members?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 4, 2016 2:18 PM

Jun 2014
I don't mind getting 2 episodes in one week but this erratic release schedule is starting to piss me off a bit.

Cool fight between Hawthorne and Akutagawa, and now the Agency has been officially dragged into the mix.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Nov 4, 2016 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
Very awesome show! wish it could been total of 26 episode instead of 24 episodes.

Yeah a mind game going on..whos gonna win...i wonder what we will see at the ending although the manga's ongoing..
Nov 4, 2016 2:26 PM

Jun 2013
Ougai the nekoing mastermind. He's messing with the Guild and the Agency at the same time. He sent a letter written with a crayon and told them that he'll take out the two over there along with the ship. Lemon bomber bombs the ship with his lemons, effectively destroying the Guild's HQ, and Akutagawa fights Nathaniel and Margaret. Margaret sure is stubborn. It takes a lot of effort to kill her. And I'm sure she's still alive even after being stabbed by Rashoumon three times. This lady ain't goin down that easily. Akutagawa thought stabbing Nathaniel and making him spill blood was the best idea, but he was wrong. Scarlet Letter is essentially Nathaniel's blood as a weapon. The more blood there is outside the more "ammo" he has. Pretty cool fight but it isn't over yet.

Akutagawa also gives his sad story of failures and losses in his attempt to get a certain person to say certain words to him. He wants to be acknowledged by Dazai for his work but it isn't happening. And Atsushi being the new disciple just increased his woes. I hope they really end this ordeal in this season with adequate focus on it.

Ougai sends in the gravity guy with news that the Guild is going for the Agency's unarmed members to take them hostage. He is luring in the Guild and the Agency to one place so that they fight it out. The Guild doesn't know that the Agency will be their opponent but the Agency knows who they're up against. Kunikida is sent because he can make it there quicker than the other groups. Ougai sure is one hell of a bastard.
Nov 4, 2016 2:29 PM

Jul 2016
DragonSlayer_19 said:

Trivia :
"The Scarlet Letter" is a story about a man's path for redemption and atonement . The story portrays themes of guilt and sin . So it's fitting to see Hawthorne here as priest whose ability is the promise of atonement and passing down judgement on the sinful.

Aaah, I disagree with that description of The Scarlet Letter completely. It's as much about Hester (who wears the actual scarlet letter after all). And Dimmesdale's path is more of one secretly writhing in guilt till the "death bed" confession. For me, it's actually a twist to portray Hawthorne as a sanctimonious preacher "passing down judgement on the sinful" since that's exactly the sort of behaviour Hawthorne tends to critique. I don't really like it but his ability is bad ass, so I'll let it go lol. I feel the same way about Akutagawa.

Half of the fun for me is seeing how this show writes the authors. Mitchell was perfect and I hope she gets a lot more to do next time, some action that doesn't involve self-sacrifice.... I missed Fitzgerald, sorry to read that his scene got cut.

I'm looking forward to the confrontation with the Guild. It's good to have a formidable foe on the scene since the Lizards were entirely underwhelming in the first season.
Nov 4, 2016 2:38 PM

Mar 2016
akilamantado said:
DragonSlayer_19 said:

Trivia :

Aaah, I disagree with that description of The Scarlet Letter completely. It's as much about Hester (who wears the actual scarlet letter after all). And Dimmesdale's path is more of one secretly writhing in guilt till the "death bed" confession. For me, it's actually a twist to portray Hawthorne as a sanctimonious preacher "passing down judgement on the sinful" since that's exactly the sort of behaviour Hawthorne tends to critique. I don't really like it but his ability is bad ass, so I'll let it go lol. I feel the same way about Akutagawa.

Half of the fun for me is seeing how this show writes the authors. Mitchell was perfect and I hope she gets a lot more to do next time, some action that doesn't involve self-sacrifice.... I missed Fitzgerald, sorry to read that his scene got cut.

I'm looking forward to the confrontation with the Guild. It's good to have a formidable foe on the scene since the Lizards were entirely underwhelming in the first season.

Ah i stand corrected then . Yes i too love to the literary aspect of the show so i like looking up some stuff . Adds another dimension or layer to it . Isn't Gone with the wind a novel that deals with poverty ? Which is why Margaret said i must restore my family's honor ?
I'm mostly acquainted with mark twain and steinbeck works as american authors though
Nov 4, 2016 3:43 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I haven't seen a 2nd season of a show that has been SO MUCH BETTER than the first.

That fight between Akutagawa and Hawthorne was RAD.
Nov 4, 2016 4:40 PM

Jul 2013
They adapted the chapters more or less well despite the omission of some scenes (nothing important though, if I remember right).

I still cannot believe the Guild let Kajii wreck their ship, Kajii, of all people (I also wonder why the Agency didn't arrested him during the incident of the train, though. He is an obviously insane and dangerous individual and not the kind of people you will let free when you has the chance to capture him).

The fight of Akutagawa against Hawthorne and Mitchell was also very cool, it has fluid visuals and the voice acting was on point (props to Akutagawa's VA). I still find weird the way The Scarlet Letter is portrayed. While reading the manga, I imagined it being like red letters used as a weapon rather than like an orange mass similar to Akutagawa's Rashomon. And speaking about Rashomon, it may be one of the most cool looking abilities of all the series. I'm looking forward Akutagawa's new techniques in the future.

I'm sure the most of people won't give a fuck about Hawthorne and Mitchell considering they barely had screentime, but I really felt bad for them. They were defeated too quick without making us see more of their personalities.

They also did well the part when Chuuya attacks the Agency and they discover the trick of the Mafia with the Guild and Naomi.
Next episode will be exciting considering we will see fucking Lovecraft in action. I really, really hope they did justice to that part (though the title implies they will also adapt the scene when
Wonder what Bones is planning...
Nov 4, 2016 5:01 PM

Sep 2015
2 epsidoes in a week omg. Lol Kawaii Neko pictures too overpowered!
I hope the little sister doesn't get harmed
Nov 4, 2016 6:21 PM

Jun 2015
i thought episode 5 and 6 was only monologue and less action
but danggg, no one want lose man!
im almost forget breathing while watching eps 5 and 6
Nov 4, 2016 6:32 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode.

The Port Mafia going for a full frontal attack against Nathaniel, Margaret & The Guild.

LOL Lemon Bombs. Well there goes the Cruise Ship.
YOOO!!! Akutagawa with that sneak attack. Love seeing Rashomon in action against Scarlet Letter.

DAMN Margaret got stabbed multiple times & is still alive. Just managed to save Nathaniel.
Hope we see more of them. They just got introduced.

Lovecraft & Steinbeck after Naomi & Mii chan. Time for Kunikida & Tanizaki to get a battle in.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Nov 4, 2016 6:50 PM

May 2015
Shittttt, the intensity is building up.

Nov 4, 2016 7:25 PM

Sep 2011
Some nice action this episode, but unfortunately we are back to the level of quality of the first season. The art quality has taken a massive nosedive, the story has become uninteresting again, and the voice acting has more cringeworthy moments. I wish there was more to Dazai's backstory so it would take up the entire season. The first four episodes were superior in almost every way to the first season, and the story was actually very interesting.
Nov 4, 2016 8:01 PM

Sep 2013
Excellent episode. The intensity of the fight on the pier was awesome and Akutagawa is still a monster. Looks like Port Mafia is taking action first and so far they got everything going right for them. Akiko is just fucking awesome. I adore her and Kyouka.

5/5- Very excited to see whats to come. How will the Guild retaliate? What can the Agency do to prevail?

Nov 4, 2016 8:12 PM

Oct 2016
demn akutagawa is so badass there beating nathaniel and mitchell .. thou i feel bad for mitchell
.. can't wait for the next episode..
Nov 4, 2016 8:33 PM

Aug 2015
It's nice getting episodes early but even this release schedule is getting on my nerves. Fight was pretty great.
Nov 4, 2016 8:42 PM

Sep 2014
Cool fight. I like how well produced this series is, bones knows how to put in work.

I still think the first 4 episodes of this season is the peak, and its only downhill from there. Its not that I hated ep 5-6 its just not even close to the level of the first 4. Oda just stole every moment when he was on screen, and no current characters are close to him in being fun to watch.

Also like some others said, while I don't mind 2 episodes per week, this random schedule does get a little annoying.
Nov 4, 2016 8:58 PM

Aug 2016
I loved this episode. The fight between the Guild and the Port Mafia was great. I can't wait for the next episode. :D
Nov 4, 2016 9:35 PM

Jun 2015
Lemon bomb guy is funny. I didn't think we will see him again. The fight between Akutagawa and Hawthorne was epic. Very cool. Their powers are quite similar. Akutagawa fighting with his injuries takes guts.
Nov 5, 2016 12:10 AM

Dec 2014
Very good episode.

The battle between Nathaniel and Akutagawa was great, Both of them had really cool abilities but I'll give the edge to Akutagawa since his ability has cooler forms and I really like the red and black colour scheme.

Liked Chuuya's little break in.

The Port Mafia leader is quite the strategist, The way he's setting up the Agency and Guild to go against each other is really crafty.
Nov 5, 2016 12:54 AM

May 2014
Shirasho said:
Some nice action this episode, but unfortunately we are back to the level of quality of the first season. The art quality has taken a massive nosedive, the story has become uninteresting again, and the voice acting has more cringeworthy moments. I wish there was more to Dazai's backstory so it would take up the entire season. The first four episodes were superior in almost every way to the first season, and the story was actually very interesting.

^ Basically this.

I would say a good 60-70% of last season was a complete chore to watch for me, and the first few episodes of this season were a very pleasant surprise. But unfortunately now it's back to being mediocre again.... Oh well. At the very least Akutagawa's fight was pretty cool.
Nov 5, 2016 2:32 AM
Nov 2015
Does anyone knwo the OST that plays when Akutagawa faces off with Hawthorne. Like around 11:44~14:21 I dont remember it from the first seasons soundtrack. Is it new?
Nov 5, 2016 3:45 AM

Jun 2013
nice episode and the fight was amazing
Nov 5, 2016 4:13 AM

Mar 2016
Illyricus said:
They adapted the chapters more or less well despite the omission of some scenes (nothing important though, if I remember right).

I still cannot believe the Guild let Kajii wreck their ship, Kajii, of all people (I also wonder why the Agency didn't arrested him during the incident of the train, though. He is an obviously insane and dangerous individual and not the kind of people you will let free when you has the chance to capture him).

The fight of Akutagawa against Hawthorne and Mitchell was also very cool, it has fluid visuals and the voice acting was on point (props to Akutagawa's VA). I still find weird the way The Scarlet Letter is portrayed. While reading the manga, I imagined it being like red letters used as a weapon rather than like an orange mass similar to Akutagawa's Rashomon. And speaking about Rashomon, it may be one of the most cool looking abilities of all the series. I'm looking forward Akutagawa's new techniques in the future.

I'm sure the most of people won't give a fuck about Hawthorne and Mitchell considering they barely had screentime, but I really felt bad for them. They were defeated too quick without making us see more of their personalities.

They also did well the part when Chuuya attacks the Agency and they discover the trick of the Mafia with the Guild and Naomi.
Next episode will be exciting considering we will see fucking Lovecraft in action. I really, really hope they did justice to that part (though the title implies they will also adapt the scene when
Wonder what Bones is planning...

I don't necessarily dislike hawthorne . I find his priest character enjoyable . But i don't quite like what he did later on

Btw excited too for lovecraft, hope they don't cut down on his weirdness .
Shishou_23Nov 5, 2016 5:18 AM
Nov 5, 2016 5:34 AM

Mar 2013
Amazing episode. Screw Drifters. I find the action here much more exciting and badass.
Nov 5, 2016 6:56 AM

Oct 2015
Smudy said:
I haven't seen a 2nd season of a show that has been SO MUCH BETTER than the first.

That fight between Akutagawa and Hawthorne was RAD.
agreed. The show improved 100000000000000 times
Nov 5, 2016 8:23 AM

Aug 2015
Great fight and awesome tactics the opening is so good i'm humming it right now, this season is much better than the first.
Liking traps is gay and liking Lolis is Pedophila.
Come at me bruh!
Nov 5, 2016 9:06 AM

Dec 2014
this show has an enormous budget...the animation quality and the story says it all!!

Nov 5, 2016 9:28 AM

Oct 2010
Akutagawa is so in love with Dazai.
Nov 5, 2016 10:54 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Damm what an episode
I guess the Port Mafia wasn't messing around at all

I love to know exactly what relationship the Mafia boss
actually has with Else though

Hmm writing a letter to a friend with a crayon

Lol the guild has some great characters as well
and some strange ones as well lol

Margaret the woman that holds the parasol
is one good example
as is the priest

Lol the man that came in between them to report

Lol its just like the head of the port mafia to tell his targets
just which are their next targets
Lol Elise's tantrum about her crayon

And coincidentally the targets is the ship that the guild arrived on
and the two people that are reading the letter lol

Hmm so among the pair
Nathaniel's is the smart and strategic one while Margaret is the brash one

Hmm Nathaniel's ability sure is interesting
using his blood as his power eh

hmm that bomber managed to survive his own bombs eh
i guess that we can't underestimate anyone from the port mafia either
even one that looks like he was beaten up repeatedly
Ok so i'll just call you the lemon bomber

Man the Port mafia boss is one hell of a strategiest
sending the most eager and one of their most powerful elites
to take out the first target

Lol Akutagawa calling himself the devil
apt i think given his ability

Hmm the fight between the minster and Akutagawa was pretty good

Wow their abilities are pretty similar to each other

Hmm despite surviving the surprise attack Margaret still got killed
pretty easily
A shame

Akutagawa is still craving for acceptance then from Dazai eh

Well that was an exciting fight between the guild and the port mafia
I wonder though will the minster and Margaret fall that easily though

Lol it makes sense that the civilians will be somewhere safe
away from the frontlines

You know this episode really shows just how much the agency is outnumbered
by Port Mafia and the Guild
Without the combat personal at base the only ones that can fight are few

Hmm never expected the Port Mafia to send a special envoy with the location
of guild operatives

Hmm so that guys power is Gravity manipulation eh

Damm so that bait is the location of the agency's civilians
Underhanded as always
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 5, 2016 11:03 AM

Aug 2013
Another great episode hnnnggh

Nov 5, 2016 2:33 PM

Apr 2010
What an episode! head on between the Guild and the Mafia. I really liked when they say "you don't know what are humilation and defeat.", especially after what we saw in the first episodes of the 2nd season ("prquel", kind of). Isn't it sad he's still waiting for a good word from Dazai?

Anyway, awesome episode! I really wait for the next one! Another week. Ahh! that's too long!

Nov 5, 2016 8:31 PM

May 2015
Akutagawa's fight was very enjoyable! This episode also had some nice bits of comedy, which is the one thing I felt the first 4 episodes of this season lacked.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Nov 6, 2016 2:18 AM
Jan 2016
WHAT AN INCREDIBLE EPISODE
SHIT IS ABOUT TO GO DOWN IN NEXT EPISODE
REALLY CAN'T WAIT
TANIZAKI WILL GO BAD-ASS WHEN HE WILL FIND OUT THAT HIS SISTER NAOMI IS IN DANGER
Nov 6, 2016 4:16 AM

Jul 2015
Dang, this stuff is getting intense. These people, despite looking like they're totally messing around, are not messing around at all. And I like that, I like a lot of the characters so far from all three sides. Though I'm worried about just how many casualties there will be by the end of this, I look forward to seeing what happens next.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Nov 6, 2016 4:30 AM

Jul 2014
As enjoyable a fight as it was, I find it a bit ridiculous that those Guild members fighting Akutagawa survived so long with all those injuries, as they logically should have died. After all, not everyone has healing powers like Atsushi, so there's no reason those two should have been able to get back up and fight again and again and again. Stll, this is definitely a solid arc so far, and I only hope that continues.
Nov 6, 2016 6:38 AM

Jul 2008
Great episode, it pains to see port mafia having the advantage in the three way battle. If anything I would love for them to fall and let the agency fight the guild one on one.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2016

107 by Karva1 »»
Apr 23, 9:37 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Nov 11, 2016

101 by Karva1 »»
Apr 23, 9:30 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2016

218 by Karva1 »»
Apr 23, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

renzospark - Oct 14, 2016

154 by kociamatka »»
Apr 13, 5:29 AM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2016

228 by Virtecek »»
Mar 29, 6:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.