Forum Settings
Forums
New
Are you from the Millennial generation or Z?
Oct 21, 2016 8:41 PM

Feb 2015
According to studies, Millennials are no longer a thing. People of Generation Z are now the new generation for the elderly to complain about.

The timeline for a Millennial is pretty much simple enough. If you were born in the 80's to 90's, you're one.

However, the timeline for Gen Z starts from 90's to mid 90's all the way up to today.

The thing with Gen Z is that the timeline jumps all over the place.
This article says it's from anyone born within 1996 to 2013:
(http://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/move-millennials-gen-z/296577/)
This one says while the ones from mid 90's to 2000's qualify, Zers are mostly referred to humans born in the early 2000's to 2020.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z)
This link says from 1996 to 2010:
(http://www.careerplanner.com/Career-Articles/Generations.cfm)
This article states that the defining fact of whether you are or not a Zer is if you remember 9/11 or do not:
(http://genhq.com/igen-gen-z-generation-z-centennials-info/)

So as I said, the setting for a Zer is sort of confusing so it would be acceptable if you choose which article to believe depending on what generation you want to be in. The one thing that all articles agree with, however, is that all Zers grew up with the internet and electronic technology such as cellphones, tablets and the like.

Examples of a Millennial (from my preference):
Miley Cryus (1992,23)
Daniel Radcliffe (1989,27)
Beyonce (1981,35)
Kim Kardashian (1980,36)

Examples of people of Generation Z:
Dove Cameron,(1996,20)
Lucky Blue Smith (1998,18)
Jaden Smith (1998,18)
Asa Butterfield (1997,19)
---->basically any current Disney star

So which generation are you from (or choose to side in)?
TomDayOct 24, 2016 2:24 PM
Oct 21, 2016 9:01 PM
Jul 2018
I have no idea which gen from I'm from.

edit: Millennial, Echo Boomers, Gen Y but just 2 days away from Z
Oct 21, 2016 9:13 PM
May 2013
I'm right in the middle of Gen Y (1988). I relate better to the older Gen Y-ers, though, than the younger ones or the Gen Z-ers.
Oct 22, 2016 12:52 AM

Jun 2014
Depending on the source (since years vary) I could be in X or a millennial. Don't give it a lot of thought, because honestly it's not an important distinction to me. When I look at the common 'characteristics' associated with either of them though, I'm more or less split on which I relate to more.
Oct 22, 2016 1:31 AM

Aug 2015
I am Generation X. Born in 1970. I over-parent my children, have lots of sex, trust no-one, am bitter because both older and younger generations have left us holding the bag for both of their selfishness.

The first generation of kids who brought themselves up because their parents were too uncivilized or too selfish to spend time with us. We are self-reliant to the max.

We get on well with a lot of Gen Z, but find millennials to be carbon copy of Baby Boomers we so despise as selfish tree hugging commies.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Oct 22, 2016 1:34 AM
Jul 2018
Someone classed things as being X, Y and Z, as supposed to "millennials" and Z. I'd say I guess I fall somewhere between Y & Z?
Oct 22, 2016 3:52 AM

Jan 2013
I think I qualify in the Generation Z
Oct 22, 2016 3:53 AM

Nov 2015
Gen Z. Like the sound of that. Z... reminds me of The Legend of Zoro. Oh yeaa...

One question: Wtf is the point of dividing ppl into generations?
Oct 22, 2016 3:56 AM

Oct 2012
Trance said:
Gen Z. Like the sound of that. Z... reminds me of The Legend of Zoro. Oh yeaa...

So when you get to be an old person and want to finger wag at someone, You can go "young people these days... people in MY generation weren't like that, etc."
Oct 22, 2016 3:59 AM

Nov 2015
FontSize72LOL said:
Trance said:

So when you get to be an old person and want to finger wag at someone, You can go "young people these days... people in MY generation weren't like that, etc."

So, basically, these terms shorten 'young people' and 'My generation' to Gen X/Y/Z so the sentence sounds like:

"Gen Z these days.... millenials weren't like that''...

Nah. That sounds too impersonal to make for a nostalgic complaint. These terms are useless. 'Young people' and 'my generation' ftw.
Oct 22, 2016 5:56 AM

Jun 2014
There's a big argument over this.

As far as I'm concerned, "Generation Y" are not millennials. Generation Y starts around 1980, and ends in the early 90s. Generation Y remembers life before the millennium.

Around 1994, "Generation Z" starts, and continues until around 2010. Generation Z are the "Real Millennials" because they're too young to remember a time before the millennium, whereas generation Y certainly can.

Oct 22, 2016 6:15 AM

Apr 2009
how are kim k and beyonce millenials tho?

also real talk but does the whole millenial/gen xyz thing even matter in any other countries except US and UK (myb australia and canada)? like has anyone ever seen this brought up by news outlets in any other country? does anyone give a shit?
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Oct 22, 2016 6:20 AM

Jun 2016
The thread title sounds like we're about to compare two weird Japanese shmups for the PS1 or something.

I'm apparently a member of Generation Z.This type of categorizing is honestly just another way for certain groups to feel superior on the premise of something as mundane as age.
Oct 22, 2016 7:59 AM

Aug 2015
X > Y > Z >> Baby Boomers

You have been educated such that you now know that Baby Boomers are cancer.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Oct 22, 2016 8:30 AM
Feb 2014
I'm a Traditionalist/Silent Generation at heart so fuck both of them and gas them all
Oct 22, 2016 8:43 AM

Jun 2014
I consider myself a Millennial and most people in society would, too. I think the Millennial generation ended in 1995, and I was born in '96, so I missed that generation by one year. Because of that, I guess I am generation Z with lots of traits and characteristics in common with Millennials.
Oct 22, 2016 9:32 AM

Feb 2015
Rarusu_ said:
I'm born almost right in the middle of the 90s, what does that make me?

I have a span of friends stretching from 1988 to 2000. I remember Pokemon, Moomin, Digimon, Sailor Moon and all those. My parents are Gen Xs.

I remember 9/11

I owned a Nokia and used to play snake all day

Deep House > Progressive House

Memes

Feel the Burn

There you have my life

if you were born in 1993-4, that would make you an M. plus you remember 9/11 and in one of the sources above state that if you remember it at all you're an M.

kawaiiyuris said:
how are kim k and beyonce millenials tho?

they were born in the 80's. the timeline for Zers are a little construed but the timeline for Ms are definitely clear. for me a Zer is a kid in their late teens starting from 17 and an adult who's newly reached 20 or 21.

Erg_Orgy said:

I'm apparently a member of Generation Z.This type of categorizing is honestly just another way for certain groups to feel superior on the premise of something as mundane as age.

actually i just wanted to a do a bit of a census on the community here. nothing much.
TomDayOct 22, 2016 9:51 AM
Oct 22, 2016 9:48 AM

Apr 2009
Rarusu_ said:
But if you were born in 1993 or 94 and don't remember 9/11?
then maybe you're just not american
tbh the only reason why i remember exactly where i was and what i was doing when i heard about 9/11 was because for a split second i worried my country was gonna get attacked again or something. i didn't even find out what 9/11 actually was until several years later
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Oct 22, 2016 9:49 AM

May 2015
I dont know, I dont care to know, and I dont really want to know
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Oct 22, 2016 2:54 PM

May 2013
also born in 1998 and im definitely part of Gen Z.
Oct 22, 2016 3:10 PM

Sep 2007
Millennials should be called Generation DBZ. Generation Z should be called Generation TITS (Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Snapchat).

Oct 22, 2016 3:41 PM

Jun 2014
Lorgfyr said:
so what generation is the better generation?

Most experts would say that the "Pepsi Generation" is the better generation.

Oct 22, 2016 4:33 PM

Jun 2016
Guess that makes me a millennial ...
Oct 22, 2016 4:35 PM

Jun 2016
Fuck gen X, Z and millenial; I consider everyone born from '95 to '97 (and thus myself) to be the "Evangelion generation".
Oct 22, 2016 6:21 PM

Feb 2015
Lorgfyr said:
so what generation is the better generation?

z because then you're the youngest.
TomDayOct 22, 2016 8:20 PM
Oct 22, 2016 7:15 PM
Jul 2018
It would have been possible for me to remember 9/11, but it wasn't as talked about here in New Zealand as it was in the United States. My earliest memories are during the year of 9/11 to my knowledge.

DeplorableNico said:
I'm a Traditionalist/Silent Generation at heart so fuck both of them and gas them all

I'm also a traditionalist, but not sure what the "silent generation" entails.
Oct 22, 2016 7:30 PM

Sep 2009
Aside from the fact that millennials are not a real thing, your definition of millenials is completely wrong. People who were born in the 80s are not millenials.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Oct 22, 2016 7:58 PM

Jul 2015
Op, you're discriminating against every other generation with that poll
Oct 22, 2016 8:21 PM

Feb 2015
Peco said:

let 'em be discriminated, maybe it'll toughen them up.
Oct 22, 2016 10:52 PM

Jul 2015
TomDay said:
Peco said:

let 'em be discriminated, maybe it'll toughen them up.

Personally, I'm triggered. Thank God, we have a report button. Hopefully Hillary can bring an end to this imwithher hillary2016 shediedforus
Oct 23, 2016 6:36 AM
Feb 2014
Faederwulf said:
It would have been possible for me to remember 9/11, but it wasn't as talked about here in New Zealand as it was in the United States. My earliest memories are during the year of 9/11 to my knowledge.

DeplorableNico said:

I'm also a traditionalist, but not sure what the "silent generation" entails.

Another word for traditionalist getting left out by Baby Boomers iirc.

I really hate classifying people with generations though, when I think of millenials, I think of Buzzfeed and its self-proclaimed status as the "voice of the millenials."

Yeah it's millenial-like and all but I'd rather just be a normal person, not the stereotype of some limp-wristed nu-male which is what most "millenials" are.
Oct 23, 2016 6:39 AM

Oct 2007
I was born toward the end of 1991, that makes me a generation Z right?
Oct 23, 2016 6:55 AM

Jun 2016
Kuromii said:
I was born toward the end of 1991, that makes me a generation Z right?

no, that makes you a millennial. Gen Z starts in '96.
Oct 23, 2016 7:09 AM

Mar 2014
I'm a gen Z

Such swag yolo rofl xd lmfao
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 23, 2016 7:10 AM
Feb 2014
Rarusu_ said:
DeplorableNico said:

I really hate classifying people with generations though, when I think of millenials, I think of Buzzfeed and its self-proclaimed status as the "voice of the millenials."

Yeah it's millenial-like and all but I'd rather just be a normal person, not the stereotype of some limp-wristed nu-male which is what most "millenials" are.

Interesting though is that millenials seem to be more Conservative than baby boomers or Gen X. They are more like their grandparents in that case.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/07/health/millennials-conservative-generations/

That changes everything then, however, I still think of "millenials" as these Buzzfeed types because they at least call themselves that outwardly, whereas, I'm not sure if everyone born in that timespan really does.
Oct 23, 2016 7:18 AM

Aug 2013
I was born in 1991 I was 10 years old when 911 happened and remember growing up with dial up shitnet and phones that had green screens and only played snakes.
Oct 23, 2016 7:24 AM

Dec 2015
I have never heard any of these terms so I came here with the impression that the Z was somehow related to DBZ lol...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 23, 2016 7:32 AM

Apr 2014
Spooks said:
I was born in 1991 I was 10 years old when 911 happened and remember growing up with dial up shitnet and phones that had green screens and only played snakes.
I vaguely remember having either one of these haha.

And then I remember sony ericsson being the next big thing whereas I had this

Wasn't even a bad phone tbh. Much better than this

Nokia for life.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Oct 23, 2016 7:41 AM
Feb 2014
Rarusu_ said:
DeplorableNico said:

That changes everything then, however, I still think of "millenials" as these Buzzfeed types because they at least call themselves that outwardly, whereas, I'm not sure if everyone born in that timespan really does.

They are much more vocal, + that they have general support from the earlier generations (still alive).

We've always heard that kids have it so easy today and all, but the fact is that those who had it really easy were the baby boomers. It's probably the most spoild generation in human history. The vast majority of them grew up in stable nuclear families, the economy was constantly growing at the time and their society was a lot more homogenous.

And what have they left us with? They are a big joke.

These concepts are really foreign to me anyways because I only moved to America in 1997 so I can't judge family structures here because I don't know it well enough.

I know my grandparents and parents all grew up poor but my grandparents were fortunate to really get my parents in the right direction when it came to making money by motivating both of them to do very well, who did succeed in the late 80s and early 90s which were enough to get my Dad a new job in America which he's held steady for a while now.

An immediate response to this is pretty much cultural arrogance but I have that working class background that my folks back did because those values were passed down onto me. However, I do believe in Darwinism, it's life nowadays. You can't ignore it. But you shouldn't take it too seriously.

What I can say is, responsibility has declined and that is why I think the entitlement generation is what's giving younger generations a bad name, as it should.
AqutanOct 23, 2016 7:44 AM
Oct 23, 2016 8:06 AM

Mar 2012
Generations are inherently arbitrary, so there's not much use in getting caught up in the details. Generational thinking is only useful for answering general questions about how the population is changing, like "What are the differences between growing up before or after the internet?" etc.

AnnoKano said:
Aside from the fact that millennials are not a real thing, your definition of millenials is completely wrong. People who were born in the 80s are not millenials.
That's how the term millenial is often used here. Early 80's to late 90's. The name is a bit confusing, but I think the logic is that millenials "grew up" around the turn of the century.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 23, 2016 4:01 PM

May 2008
I was born in 1989, so I think I'm probably Gen Y.
Oct 23, 2016 4:06 PM

Sep 2016
I'm definitely a millennial. 1994 so not FAR off gen Z, but I'd say I'm more of a millennial in terms of attitudes and experiences. Also I remember 9/11 quite clearly.
Talk shit to me and so help me fucking god, I'll come over there and do absolutely nothing.
Oct 23, 2016 7:24 PM
Jul 2018
Rarusu_ said:
DeplorableNico said:

Interesting though is that millenials seem to be more Conservative than baby boomers or Gen X. They are more like their grandparents in that case.

Because we're disillusioned with the liberal nonsense our parents taught us. None of it holds ground, so it doesn't take long to crumble.
Oct 24, 2016 3:43 AM

Jun 2014
Rarusu_ said:

That's true, but not the entire picture. It shows that those leaning left is largely unchanged, while the right saw a single digit % increase, but the largest change is those that identify as independent among the millennial generation rose by 20%, and far far fewer were 'undecided' in comparison to x.
Oct 24, 2016 2:28 PM

Feb 2015
Rarusu_ said:

I'm born closer to 1995.

But if you were born in 1993 or 94 and don't remember 9/11? Or if you were born in 1996 and do remember 9/11?

i remember yet another article that stated that the years for Ms is 1980 and stopped right at 1995, so i think you still qualify as one.

AnnoKano said:

it's not my mouth saying that: it's the sources that say that. and they're right anyway.
Oct 24, 2016 7:54 PM

Feb 2015
Hmm well I'm an M (1987) but my parents were all super ahead of the curve or whatever and so we had some of the first computer/internet, etc.. so I don't really remember a time without internet etc....

That said I feel like I was "barely" always in a world of all online, etc... if I was a single year younger or my parents weren't what they were I think that would of transformed a lot of things in terms of my personal viewpoints, etc... it was kind of like there was this highly artificial word that I just barely experienced dying. Kind of like being born in a bar after a shootout or something and the bodies and blood is there but everyone is like "Oh no, it's fine, we're all friends here." And your like... really? Cause- and theyr'e like "Yep, everything's fine, world peace."

So I guess what I'm saying is I think I get this idea.. but honestly I would be surprised if a lot of people in the 1990-95 range didn't qualify in terms of having no memory etc of a non-online world etc.
Kefka1134Oct 24, 2016 7:58 PM
Oct 24, 2016 9:14 PM

Mar 2011
You know they haven't quite come out with a standard name nor date to go off of yet OP, right?

Marila said:
I was born in 1989, so I think I'm probably Gen Y.
That's what they (different sources) use to say, don't know anymore--maybe they'll just get lazy and lump Y into Millennial, and Z will turn into Alpha.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Oct 25, 2016 10:59 PM

Oct 2015
I was born in 1996 so I guess I'm Gen Z but everytime I see something related to millennials I really relate to it for the most part. I do remember 9/11 but I didn't fully understand it until years later.

I personally like millennials better I find most people from Gen Z annoying as most of them are obsessed with these retarded Vine videos and stuff.

I've seen other sites saying that Milleniials rang into the mid 2000's though http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/03/here-is-when-each-generation-begins-and-ends-according-to-facts/359589/
MattKitsune96Oct 25, 2016 11:52 PM

More topics from this board

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

43 by LordSozin »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

31 by Kushna »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

28 by hypergoob »»
25 minutes ago

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

44 by Kiryotsu »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

20 by blueblur »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.