Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 28, 2016 6:59 PM
Sep 2016
When do you guys give a series a 9 and when do you give a series a 10? Just a question that popped out of my head. Sorry if this is kind of a stupid question.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 28, 2016 7:01 PM

Jan 2016
When I get a bonerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Sep 28, 2016 7:03 PM

Jul 2016
When something is top notch. I only reserve those spots for personal favorites.
Sep 28, 2016 7:03 PM
Aug 2016
Hmmm. I only give a 10 when I think the series was consistently top tier on most of the areas I think makes a good series. If it isn't quite consistent all around, but still excellent, I give it a 9.
Sep 28, 2016 7:08 PM
Jan 2013
I do it when it's great or a masterpiece
gone bai bai
Sep 28, 2016 7:09 PM

Aug 2015
Whenever I like and truly enjoyed the series...

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Sep 28, 2016 7:12 PM
Sep 2012
I give 9's to any anime that keeps me excited throughout the entire season and has a great ending that didn't ruin the entire season for me. As for 10's, I consider something a "perfect 10" if it's a 9 like show with almost no faults and I can still re-watch it with the same excitement I had when I first originally watched it. I haven't given those out since my early anime watching days when I still gave high ratings to most anime.... sadly.
Sep 28, 2016 7:14 PM

Jun 2016
I give a 9 whenever I feel a series delivered heavy, consistent enjoyment throughout the series and had little noticeable flaws. A 10 however is a series that resonates very well with me after I watch it and I consistently compare it to other shows to see if they can match its quality.
Sep 28, 2016 7:15 PM

Jan 2008
10 if it has Gintama in the title, 9 if it doesn't.
Sep 28, 2016 7:16 PM

Feb 2015
Sep 28, 2016 7:18 PM

May 2016
When I'm biased towards a anime/series
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Sep 28, 2016 7:27 PM
Jul 2015
If I want to throw my desktop out the window and kick several small puppies in the face across a football field for all the right reasons when a series ends, chances are its getting a 10 from me.

Otherwise I should probably stay in my padded room.
Sep 28, 2016 7:37 PM

Feb 2016
Pretty much when I feel that it was a series that stood out to me and I really enjoyed through and through. (9)

Same as above but basically when I really have a appreciation for the series, it was just so awesome, story development was great, etc. Also pretty much absolute favorites without a doubt. (10)

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Sep 28, 2016 7:37 PM

Jan 2016
When it hits all the right notes on what I search for a show.
Sep 28, 2016 7:58 PM

May 2015
An anime gets a 9 from me if it impresses me very well and makes itself memorable. I give an anime a 10 if I can't explain why it is good, because it simply just is...
Sep 28, 2016 8:05 PM
Jul 2018
I no longer rate anime, but if I were to give an anime a 9/10 or a 10/10 rating, it would be because those series had great to excellent characters (non-generic), good writing, no plot-holes in its story, a fair bit of Etching, but not going overboard with it, at least one character that I feel a connection with, a quotation by one of the characters that some how provokes a deeper thought within me (makes me reflect on what has been said), and a series that is big enough to do a Marathon through for those occasional nights when I feel completely useless and have nothing better to do with my life!
Sep 28, 2016 8:06 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
LeWeebJames said:

this nigga stole my answer... lol....

although i can say when i fap

that does help though... but its really when i like a show to the point where i might buy it xD

Mar 2014
a 10 is when... there's not really any criteria, it just amazes me all the way through. I fall in love with the characters and art and everything comes together so well. It's the kind of thing I'd need to answer individually I suppose. I like to put it like this, if I have to think about it, it isn't a 10.

A 9 is an all time favorite that doesn't quite accomplish the above. It doesn't quite reach those heights for one reason or another whether that be flaws or simply not being amazing enough often enough. Berserk has the makings of a 10, and it's ending kind of kills it, but even with a good ending I don't know if that would be quite enough. There are moments for all the characters when I get that feel, but there wasn't enough of that. Not enough Guts' existential anxiety, not enough of Griffith's ambition, it's 3 phenomenal characters in a slightly less than phenomenal story. Then there's Kaiba and Mind Game which were never a 10, but always a 9, consistent at that level.

Apr 2015
The last 9s I watched were Erased, Prison School, and Princess Tutu. Erased and Princess Tutu both gave me an intense sense of anticipation with the end of every episode, with great characters and story.

However, Prison School got a 9 based off the amazing "what the hell I NEED MORE" feeling I got from the last episode. The series was already a strong 8 based off its unique comedy and cliffhangers, but that pushed it over the edge.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 28, 2016 8:07 PM

Mar 2016
When it's a masterpiece or super great, der.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Sep 28, 2016 8:08 PM
Dec 2015
My rating system is based on enjoyment more than anything else, as I feel enjoyment is derived from a combination of how story, characters, visuals, and sound all fit together. As such, I give a 9 to those anime which I enjoyed more than most and would highly consider rewatching in the future. A 10 is given to an anime with those same qualifications, but also resonated with me emotionally on a different level from a 9. I don't just mean to make me cry, but I will give a ten to any anime that won't leave my mind for a long time after I finished it, while I also believe it to be superior in every aspect.
Sep 28, 2016 8:11 PM

May 2014
All the time... My average rating is 9.03
Sep 28, 2016 8:15 PM
Feb 2016
All the fricking time, my dude
10/10
Sep 28, 2016 8:17 PM

Nov 2013
usually, 10 connects more on a personal level, while 9 might be just as good of a watch as the 10s, but lacks on a more realism/microcosm level.
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Sep 28, 2016 8:18 PM

Jul 2015
I give a series a 10 when I feel as though it was a masterpiece, but more importantly when I feel as though I have a personal connection to it and can relate to the message being sent across.

I give a series a 9 when all the criteria mentioned above is met except that I don't have a personal connection to it. Yes, it was great and I totally understand the message being sent across, but I can't relate to it emotionally.

This is only for series outside of the genres of comedy, ecchi, or harem though.
Sep 28, 2016 8:22 PM

Jul 2016
I give 9 when the anime is a masterpiece, but the ending is not satisfying. I give 10 when the anime is a super masterpiece like the story will hooked every scene, art and animation was detailed and precise, the characters are unique and interesting, sound is catchy, even if the ending sometimes does not meet your expectations you would understand the author. Simple as that.
Sep 28, 2016 8:23 PM
Oct 2014
9 or 10 is reserved for my favorites. 9 if it has flaws, 10 if it doesn't. By flaws, I simply mean it has elements in it I don't like. So although I've never scored an anime a 10 before, it's not inconceivable.
Sep 28, 2016 8:33 PM
Jul 2013
I save 10s for series that affect me on a deep emotional level - animes that leave a lasting imprint on me, in addition to having a well-written story, an interesting cast of characters, and all the other essentials (good art, animation, music, etc).

9's are for shows that don't necessarily resonate with me on that emotional level, but score highly in all other areas.

I don't generally score shows low unless it completely screws up on every single possible level, since I can generally find enjoyment in most animes I watch. Lowest score I've given was to Gokukoku no Brynhildr with a 5, cuz it completely butchered the last several episodes to utter oblivion (compressing 60-80 manga chapters worth of material into 3 episodes was the worst thing any studio could have done to a manga adaptation).
Sep 28, 2016 8:57 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
When I feel like it deserves it, regardless if it even isn't a personal fav of mine. I rate based on enjoyment nearly all the time though.
Sep 28, 2016 9:02 PM

Mar 2014
10 - Perfect. A show that has earned my undying love, and thats not an exaggeration. Not only was the writing perfect throughout (it has to be otherwise i get taken out of the moment, or don't feel the way I should about certain things) but something about it resonated with me so deeply that it has become an inseparable part of me. One of the better indications of this is that I can never get tired of this show, and I have watched it over and over again and I enjoy it every time. Nothing can be a 10 on the first watch.

9 - The best of the best. Only truly special shows break the 9 threshold. The holy trinity of character, theme and plot was thoroughly developed to the point that I genuinely care about the characters, what they go through and their world. A 9 can effect my real life because of how eloquent it is told, or how much I care. This is the cream of the crop best anime imo.

I don't take the term masterpiece lightly, I think it should be really hard to be considered a perfect 10/10
Sep 28, 2016 9:05 PM

Aug 2015
When i think it's great = 9
when i think it's masterpiece = 10
Sep 28, 2016 9:35 PM

Jul 2016
I usally give it 9 - 10 if it has a sort of cold / evil Mc and i can watch alot of episodes without thinking (only so many episodes left)
Sep 28, 2016 9:37 PM
Mar 2016
I never give a 10 cause I think there's no such thing perfect, but I do give 9 for some masterpieces even if there's still imperfection in the series.
Sep 28, 2016 9:45 PM
Aug 2016
9s are shows I really loved and enjoyed but that I don't really feel like I can give a 10
I do only have one 10 though, and I'm super biased towards it. I haven't watched a lot of anime either so I don't think I can fairly answer what I would give a 10 for.
Sep 28, 2016 9:49 PM

May 2016
When it's really fuckin' good AND comes with few or no flaws for me to complain about. The lack of flaws doesn't automatically mean a perfect score (lookin' at you, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust), but when combined with high quality, you have the recipe for a 9-10/10.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Sep 28, 2016 9:54 PM

Mar 2014
When it deserves them, just like any other score i give.

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
Sep 28, 2016 9:57 PM

Jan 2016
OurLittleHome said:
When something is top notch. I only reserve those spots for personal favorites.

Give something a 10 already, ya edge lord
Sep 28, 2016 10:02 PM
Oct 2015
10 - Life changing and perfect.
9 - Life changing with flaws or very emotionally intense or executed nearly perfectly for its genre.
8 - Good, but not life changing. Genuinely enjoyable throughout.
7 - Ranges from ok to good, but not enjoyable throughout.
6 - Bad.
5 - Very very bad. Wishing the show was over but choking it down because I'm more than halfway.
1-4 - Unwatchable, and so was never finished (and therefore never scored)
Sep 28, 2016 10:10 PM

Aug 2008
When the animu make my kokoro goes doki doki.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 28, 2016 10:24 PM
Jul 2016
I would give a series a 10 if it was consistently incredible, unique, and entertaining, had characters with distinct personalities and characteristics and developed well and realistically, had a plot that moved at a good speed, had unexpected elements and made we always want more, had at least moderately unique and smooth animation, and for within my personal favorites for setting, type of mc, use of ecchi, amount of dark themes, etc. In short, perfection. I have never given anything a 10. I give things 9 if they suck me in, are somewhat unique, have interesting plot, distinct characters, and probably make me think about it a while afterwards. I toss 9s out fairly often to anything that makes me want more after every episode.
MyriadSlothsSep 28, 2016 10:29 PM
Sep 28, 2016 10:39 PM

Jul 2014
Cause its really good and worth a 9 or 10.
Sep 28, 2016 10:50 PM

Jul 2015
LeWeebJames said:
Lowkey died LOL

OT: I give it a 9 or 10 when it's good lol. Sorry too lazy to explain heh

caught in the wonder
Sep 28, 2016 11:05 PM

Oct 2014
I reserve 9s and 10s for my very favourite anime. Out of the 552 anime I have rated I have only given five 10s and 18 9s. A 10 means that it really touched me on a personal level and 9 means that I thought it was amazing in a way that anime I rated lower simply weren't able to be. Even 8s I seldom give out and hold in high regard.
Sep 29, 2016 12:32 AM

Aug 2013
For me to give 10s (other than total personal biasness), it needs to have a really very good story and character development throughtout the whole of the series. The characters are realistic (in their context) and you can see them grow as the story progresses. Along with great animation and awesome soundtracks to create the proper mood. Visually pleasing backgrounds are even more of a bonus. And lastly I need to gain something out of reading this story, usually some realisation that is impactful enough to change the way I live or I think. That's probably a masterpiece for me.

9s are animes that I greatly recommend to almost anyone, but fall short of the citeria mentioned above.
Cute is justice.
Sep 29, 2016 12:40 AM

Mar 2015
When it's some 👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good shit
Sep 29, 2016 12:57 AM

Aug 2010
I'd say that 9 was pretty much flawless. 10s are as well but I'd say I could personally relate to it... Well there was that little plus.
Sep 29, 2016 2:17 AM
Jul 2018
When I come so hard and spill it all over my bed and laptop.
Sep 29, 2016 2:20 AM

Jun 2016
when my favorite ship are sailing, plust the progress of the main story :D

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Sep 29, 2016 2:27 AM

Jul 2014
I've always found MAL's listing for "9" being "Great" hilarious. A 9, to me, is more like "Exceptional". These are the shows that stick with you, that I feel have longevity within the industry and stand out as shining examples of how good anime can (sometimes) be.

If I'm giving something a 10 then it's up there with the best media I've read/seen. Period.
Sep 29, 2016 2:33 AM

Jul 2015
i rarely give 9 or 10
i do when i love the story and it makes me feel the void after finish it
+i will give it if my ship sail but didnt happen yet :"(
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

136 by FanofAction »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 3 hours ago

18 by Vaturna »»
25 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 43 minutes ago

2 by LightWorker »»
25 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 7 hours ago

23 by Horshu »»
25 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

47 by traed »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.