Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
May 19, 2017 10:54 AM

Jul 2015
Absolutely stunning. A really deep and well-written movie.

Just one thing I disliked, which is Ishida not being more decisive against Ueno. Well it's more like I sincerely wanted someone to crush her damn skull and pull her eyes out.
May 19, 2017 11:10 AM

Feb 2015
Wow... That was incredible! I can't gather my thoughts together yet, but I know that what I just saw was a 10/10!!
May 19, 2017 11:23 AM

Dec 2013
Hands down better than Kimi no na wa imo. This is the first anime movie I've seen which deserved that 10. Even tho I wanted more at the end..

May 19, 2017 11:44 AM

Jan 2017
This movie is heartbreaking beautiful and amazing movies for me. I loved Shouko and Shouya relationship. Shouko is hearing but she can used her hands to express her talking. Shouya is bullying her on the first time (mean primary 6) who can't stand her sign language and changed her school, but he can understand why she should used her hands who simply to explained sign language is good in junior high school or senior high school. He also say sorry and return Shouko's primary school notebooks. Finally, Shouko say sorry for Shouya in bridge who are true friends and couples after leave her road because she want kill her but Shouya saved her and dropped in the road by Shouko. All I can say is this movie is crying, heartwarming and beautiful like Kimi no Na wa I've seen that (may be rival).

11/10 scores for me.
May 19, 2017 12:21 PM

Sep 2013
Wow...........am truly pleased.10/10 The art, music, characters feel so real, (also after watching generic time-pass animes), this was really a long time since I truly watched an epic masterpiece of anime, that I love.

The path Shoya took for redemption really made up his core post-incident. The respective mothers of both MCs really fits accordingly to their situations and the twist in the later part had me gripped with feels. The previous shows just made me apathetic and numb. Now just waiting for Kimi no Nawa.
May 19, 2017 1:27 PM

Dec 2014
8/10. Overall very good movie. Directing is really solid and helped me empathize with Shouya and Nishimiya, even after I've already read the source material; a lot of the impact is still there. Kawai can straight up go to hell. It doesn't really help that most of the characters lose their essence due to compressing all the chapters into a 2 hour movie such that their interactions with Shouya felt a little empty. Still, I enjoyed this more than Kimi no na Wa.
I need sleep.
May 19, 2017 3:32 PM
Aug 2016
After watching the movie i read the manga to understand some scenes of the movie.
there is one scene that i don't really know what it means either after reading the manga:

May 19, 2017 3:52 PM

Aug 2012
This was outstanding, soundtrack and animation were perfect, all the emotional moments were executed better than I could have imagined, the ending had more impact, and god the voice acting I can't even. The movie did an even better job of making you feel for Ishida, as well. The only thing was the amount of content cut and skimmed/weirdly rearranged, making the bridge scene lose quite a bit of impact, and the group drama feel a bit cheapened. One might even wonder why Mashiba was even included, but I loved how true to the source it was while focusing on the most important character relationship.

I'll admit I didn't expect TOO much from a movie covering the entirety of a 45+ chapter manga, but this certainly exceeded expectations.

RadiantFYS said:
After watching the movie i read the manga to understand some scenes of the movie.
there is one scene that i don't really know what it means either after reading the manga:

That's from the day she met Nishimiya's mom to settle the hearing aid matter, if you recall she told Ishida to wait while the two went elsewhere. I'll let you think about the rest.
May 19, 2017 4:31 PM

Jan 2015
Can someone explain the scene at the doctor? She cried after that and only used the hearing device in one ear. But why, what happened?
May 19, 2017 4:32 PM

Sep 2015
RadiantFYS said:

May 19, 2017 4:53 PM

Oct 2010
Aesthetically astounding and a masterpiece in storytelling. It's refreshing to see characters that hit home so much and so often, visuals that expand the story instead of just accompanying it, and a development that manages to stay calm and knows when and how to burst to be effective and rewarding.

quirow said:
I can't believe they included all the important events, not bad, but still it felt extremely rushed, which is inevitable given the length. I seriously wonder if non-manga readers knew what was going on. Still very good, but I wish they went with the manga ending. 8/10.

It is perfectly understandable, which is also why I don't buy the narrative about this film lacking development or focus. The lack of screen time, which I assume is specially important with side characters, is replaced with hints, and it does very well at that. For instance with Kawai. Do you really need more character exposition to understand where does her inner conflict stem from, what impact these events had on her personality (and vice versa), and the kind of redemption she was looking for? It is perfectly conveyed in the little space this movie offers for her. The subtlety it displays and the ability to hint at parallel narratives that go beyond the explicit drama are actually some of the film's best traits.

Maybe, I don't know, the focus in the manga is more about the group of friends than this movie's scheme of protagonist and deuteragonist, but what it tries to tell is delivered perfectly. I mean, if the manga explores further details it's something I don't know, but the movie works really well as a standalone narrative and doesn't give me the feel that something is missing at any point.

SkullProX said:
Can someone explain the scene at the doctor? She cried after that and only used the hearing device in one ear. But why, what happened?

Well, I have to admit this one lost me a little as well. I haven't given it much thought but I assume it's bad news about her disability. I assume that Shouko's deafness is degenerative.
jal90May 19, 2017 5:05 PM
May 19, 2017 5:30 PM
Jun 2015
I am kind of confused what the point of the hospital scene was with the doctor. I thought they were going to connect her loss of hearing to the suicide attempt but it seems to be a red herring or poor direction by the director. I think if they connected the two together the anime would have added much more depth to Shouko's character. The way it was presented it seems the only reason she committed suicide is because some people hate her. I guess its a pretty valid reason because collectivism in japan but it seems like she flipped a switch in the story during the fireworks segment.
May 19, 2017 5:57 PM

May 2016
I don't know it didn't reached my expectations I thought it was better 8/10
May 19, 2017 6:14 PM

May 2009
I haven't read the manga yet, but I definitely like the animation and direction! :D It's stunning in it's own way and I enjoyed it while watching. Though I realized that it would be better if it's longer because it definitely lacks development for the side characters. 8/10 :)))))

“I despise common sense.
I’ve seen the world from every possible angle.
This cruel, ridiculous, beautiful world.”

- Lacie Baskerville

||||
May 19, 2017 6:14 PM

Apr 2012
Wahh, just finished it, clearly loved the design, smooth and really pretty overall. How can anyone bully that little girl :( Really enjoyed the story and the characters, not really common to see something like that, the music was great almost every time. Quite intense sometimes and I wish we would have seen Nishimiya try to tell her feelings for Ishida one more time, would have been a nice/funny/cute touch at the end ! ;D
May 19, 2017 6:47 PM

Dec 2013
-Superb animation, it's not really a surprise tho, KyoAni just doing her usual.
-Decent music, it was a nice and all but some scene lost some (tho minimal) impacts due to the music doesnt really fit the tab.
-Character designs follow the manga completely, well done.
-Characterization for main casts was awesome most of the parts, tho some questionable acts (possibly holes) do exist. Some side characters on the other hand lose their depth, tho it was due to limitation as a movie.

The ending wasnt my cup of tea, not really a flaw. Overall I enjoyed the ride, a roller coaster of emotions indeed.
8/10
May 19, 2017 7:26 PM

Apr 2017
I think the ending was not that great. But overall, I liked it. Still has room for improvement tho.
May 19, 2017 7:27 PM

May 2015
You people wouldn't be calling it disappointing if you hadn't focused on the hpye so much.

May 19, 2017 8:44 PM

May 2012
Five years ago today, I started watching anime with my first anime being Toradora! And I'm very glad to say that I started this five year celebration with this absolutely amazing movie!

The various dramatical aspects were just unbelievable good put in picture, and it's been quite a time since I've actually cried with an anime!

I must say that I totally loved the whole character development, and once again it shows you that a person can really change, and how hard is to get accepted in "reality".

I totally loved all the characters that formed together in this anime, every single character had their own pretty personal traits which added a whole level of depth in the story. And that's what I really enjoyed about this movie.

All in all I must say that I absolutely loved it, and that it really has been a while since I've watched such a great movie like this!

May 20, 2017 12:17 AM

Nov 2016
by far one of the best movies and manga i have read. really glad i had a box of tissues after seeing it was subbed and watched it. easily 1010
May 20, 2017 12:33 AM
Jun 2015
Tasukuu said:
15poundfish said:
I am kind of confused what the point of the hospital scene was with the doctor. I thought they were going to connect her loss of hearing to the suicide attempt but it seems to be a red herring or poor direction by the director. I think if they connected the two together the anime would have added much more depth to Shouko's character. The way it was presented it seems the only reason she committed suicide is because some people hate her. I guess its a pretty valid reason because collectivism in japan but it seems like she flipped a switch in the story during the fireworks segment.
The film isn't very direct about the reason why Nishimiya decides to commit suicide (again). I think it's from negative things accumulating over time.

From Yuzuru's flashback, it seems she's attempted to commit suicide before in the past (but failed). In the present, Ueno tells her to her face that she hates her and your hear Nishimiya go "I hate myself." Then there's the bridge scene where everyone suddenly left Ishida, and Nishimiya has a sad expression. I think this is when her suicidal thoughts start to resurface as when Ishida later invites her out, she tells him that their being together will make him sad. To me, it seems as though she mistakenly thinks she's the cause of everyone's sadness. All of this exacerbated her feelings of self-hatred leading her to try to commit suicide again during the fireworks.

About the scene at the hospital with the doctor, I think it's only to indicate that her condition got worse (she can only hear from one ear now).
Like... it's a slice of reality. Much like how Grandma passed away.
I think this a big problem in the anime, We are never shown why she believes she as fault or why she came to misunderstandings. I don't know why she would care what Ueno thinks when Ueno obviously is sulking over the fact the MC will not choose her because of her bad altitude and nasty behavior. The bridge scene also is kind of lame as well, why should she care what the self-righteous blonde girl thinks? She has Sahara and Shouya as friends. I mean all she had to do is say "I don't want to hang around Ueno because she is a nasty girl that hates me" and everything returns to the happy status quo they had earlier.
May 20, 2017 1:51 AM

Dec 2013
Read portions of the manga previously, and this really captured the feel of it really well.
Loved the theme of this show, it hits a bit close to home in come instances. Truly inspiring.
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 20, 2017 2:01 AM
May 2017
Not as good as expected. 7/10.
May 20, 2017 4:50 AM

May 2017
I'm glad they didn't put the part where Nishiyama forced herself on that class singing thing coz that's actually the trigger of the bullying in the manga. Making it her fault for refusing to fly below the radar

10/10 masterpiece

Koe no katachi > Kimi no na wa

By an inch
May 20, 2017 5:05 AM

Oct 2010
15poundfish said:
I think this a big problem in the anime, We are never shown why she believes she as fault or why she came to misunderstandings.

Bullying has this effect on the psyche of people. You are trying to rationalize a broken mind with a huge inferiority complex who has been repeatedly told in one way or the other that she wasn't worth and was making the lives of others difficult.

15poundfish said:
I don't know why she would care what Ueno thinks when Ueno obviously is sulking over the fact the MC will not choose her because of her bad altitude and nasty behavior. The bridge scene also is kind of lame as well, why should she care what the self-righteous blonde girl thinks? She has Sahara and Shouya as friends. I mean all she had to do is say "I don't want to hang around Ueno because she is a nasty girl that hates me" and everything returns to the happy status quo they had earlier.

This is pure lack of empathy, and I can't do anything here except remind you that it's always easier said than done. Ideally the situation Shouko lived would be very easy to move on when she grows up, but this doesn't happen to all people and it is actually very prone to change one's personality in a way that permeates over the decades.

I suffered pretty bad situations at school, which are far from being as constant as in Shouko's case, and even in mine I can totally recognize a lasting effect in my personality. I have an obsession with trying to cause a good impression to anybody I meet. I still have problems expressing feelings of anger, disgust or just plain disagreement to people I know. I have a shy and introverted personality that somewhat unconsciously makes me believe that my stance on whatever matter is not as worth as any other's.
May 20, 2017 5:10 AM

Aug 2016
That was awesome, been waiting since it was released in japan for it to come out with english subs, there are a few things i feel like they should have added in but nothing i think that shouldnt have added in so i think they chose the right scenes, the anime pictures ishida planning/considering suicide alot better than the manga did imo and the ending for the movie was better aswell, it gave us some closure for what the manga didnt, loved this so much more than your name and it sucks they are barely making any of what they expected to make from this movie :/

9/10
May 20, 2017 6:40 AM

Jan 2015
seconds_to_dere said:
I'm glad they didn't put the part where Nishiyama forced herself on that class singing thing coz that's actually the trigger of the bullying in the manga. Making it her fault for refusing to fly below the radar

10/10 masterpiece

By an inch

Why is it good that it wasn't in?
May 20, 2017 6:50 AM

Feb 2012
Very much enjoyed the movie. Wished there was a much better closure but it still ended well. I really wanted to watch this when I first heard of it. when I went to Taiwan last March for vacation, it was on theater. Was sorta frustrated that I still couldn't watch it until the subtitles came out. I guess the movie was worth the wait. I'll read the manga after this so Ill be satisfied with knowing how they ended it
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
May 20, 2017 6:54 AM

Oct 2010
SkullProX said:
seconds_to_dere said:

10/10 masterpiece

By an inch

Why is it good that it wasn't in?

I think it wasn't needed. I haven't read the manga but the way dere describes the scene it could be interpreted as putting blame on the victim, which would detract from our attachment. As it's told in the movie we know why her classmates start harassing her, the source of the hatred and frustration towards her, without entering in the realm of victim blaming. On paper at least, it seems like a wise move.
May 20, 2017 6:57 AM

Nov 2016
OMG I have no words! Probably the most beautiful movie I've ever seen. It's just plain perfect.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2017 7:41 AM
Jun 2015
jal90 said:

Bullying has this effect on the psyche of people. You are trying to rationalize a broken mind with a huge inferiority complex who has been repeatedly told in one way or the other that she wasn't worth and was making the lives of others difficult.

Repeatedly by who besides Ueno in high school and her one year in grade school? Nobody seems to be bullying her in high school besides Ueno and Kawai.

jal90 said:

This is pure lack of empathy, and I can't do anything here except remind you that it's always easier said than done. Ideally the situation Shouko lived would be very easy to move on when she grows up, but this doesn't happen to all people and it is actually very prone to change one's personality in a way that permeates over the decades.

I am not saying bullying doesn't affect one's personality but usually they will take some sort of action after being bullied. If someone hates your guts you can avoid them, retaliate, use power structures to make their life hell (teachers, police), etc If all else fails than you are pretty much SOL. Shouko remains passive throughout the anime except in the beginning when she fights Shouya. Why is her first response to bullying self-blame? You should care more that you have been wronged by an asshole than whether you yourself played a part in it. Self-blame is more likely to happen if you have bullied too many times by a bunch of different people constantly or you already have given up. This anime probably makes more sense in Japanese culture where being a non conformist is social suicide and calling the police is a waste of time. This is not to say Bullying is dead in western cultures its just that you have more tools at your disposal to deal with bullies and they are localized to a few individuals instead of entire groups.

15poundfishMay 20, 2017 7:54 AM
May 20, 2017 7:44 AM

Oct 2013
A powerful film and I must say that I loved it. I scored it an 8, but it really only loses a couple of points for A: Being too optimistic about people, and B: I'm too old for the valuable lessons of the film to make any difference. If I was between say 15 and 25 I would definitely score it a 9 or 10.

In conclusion the score is 8/10 for geezers, 9-10/10 for youth that have some chance at reforming themselves before it's too late.
May 20, 2017 8:00 AM

Oct 2010
15poundfish said:
jal90 said:

Repeatedly by who besides Ueno in high school and her one year in grade school? Nobody seems to be bullying her in high school besides Ueno and Kawai.

Do you realize what Ueno means to Shouko? Even if one single person tells you that you are not worth and you destroyed the lives of everybody, it can fuck you up hard if you've already been through years of self-blame.

15poundfish said:
jal90 said:

I am not saying bullying doesn't affect one's personality but usually they will take some sort of action after being bullied.

No offense, but you are speaking out of your ass here.

15poundfish said:
If someone hates your guts you can avoid them,

Shouko starts going out with Ueno through Shouya. If anything it shows that she has no confidence or agency. Which is the point of the character not only for her but for Shouya himself.

15poundfish said:
retaliate, use power structures to make their life hell (teachers, police), etc

Revenge of the nerds is a movie, not a real life story.

15poundfish said:
If all else fails than you are pretty much SOL.

Nope because there is growth and character arcs being set and resolved. Just not in the idealized way you intend to happen.

15poundfish said:
Shouko remains passive throughout the anime except in the beginning when she fights Shouya.

Shouko takes a fucking lot of pressure to even answer Shouya that way, coming from him constantly teasing her with "don't think you are perfect", "why are you not mad", "stop being so fucking annoyingly passive" and so on. Why do you expect her to be able to attack or expose Ueno if it was so much of a big deal for her to do it once, face to face, and being forced to do it.

15poundfish said:
Why is her first response to bullying self-blame? You should care more that you have been wronged by an asshole than whether you yourself played a part in it.

Are we talking about shoulds, or are we talking about how things actually go? In your ideal depiction of bullying, the victim would not be psychologically driven to believe that it's all their fault for being different, not conforming to standards, or not understanding well enough. That's not what happens usually.

15poundfish said:
Self-blame is more likely to happen if you have bullied too many times by a bunch of different people constantly or you already have given up.

And where did you get the idea that Shouko hadn't already given up? She just moved to another school, and now she's back with the people who made her routine a living hell reminding her again of all the bad things she blamed herself for.

15poundfish said:
This anime probably makes more sense in Japanese culture where being a non conformist is social suicide and calling the police is a waste of time.

Bullied kids kill themselves in Western countries as well. It goes with each one's personality.

15poundfish said:
This is not to say Bullying is not dead in western cultures its just that you have more tools at your disposal to deal with bullies.

I would highly doubt that. Of course, I'm talking about my country, but when there is not even a reliable psychological support in schools I can't talk about an advantage.
jal90May 20, 2017 8:08 AM
May 20, 2017 8:26 AM
Oct 2016
Where are the feelings? I mean it's a good movie. But Kimi no na wa is in my opinion better. Koe no katachi has no logic. Don't get me wrong - love for exmaple isn't logic, friendship as well. But what is wrong with the "system" if a girl is bullied? What is wrong with teachers? Why this guy didn't do a shit about that, tho he knew that it was Ishida, who was bullying her. WTF? We live in modern society and this kind of behavior is impossible. Destroying 12 hearing devices? Seriously? After destroying one device I would have problems in my school. It does cost a lot. School should take responsibility about that. Teachers as well.

Another thing is like someone said before - if someone is bullying you, You can try at least to avoid this person. To many errors in this movie imo.

It's not bad, but I don't know why it is compared to Kimi no na wa. It's completly different story and different motive.

I expected more. Even some romance. (some of you might think that romance would be bad). For me it's clearly that their in some powerful relationship and not just "normal" friendship. They don't need to fuck themself on the screen but I think there should be more romance between Nishimiya and Ishida.

For me it's 8/10. Im dissapointed. Really. I expected more.
May 20, 2017 9:13 AM

Apr 2015
Chrabo said:
Where are the feelings? I mean it's a good movie. But Kimi no na wa is in my opinion better. Koe no katachi has no logic. Don't get me wrong - love for exmaple isn't logic, friendship as well. But what is wrong with the "system" if a girl is bullied? What is wrong with teachers? Why this guy didn't do a shit about that, tho he knew that it was Ishida, who was bullying her. WTF? We live in modern society and this kind of behavior is impossible. Destroying 12 hearing devices? Seriously? After destroying one device I would have problems in my school. It does cost a lot. School should take responsibility about that. Teachers as well.

Another thing is like someone said before - if someone is bullying you, You can try at least to avoid this person. To many errors in this movie imo.

Your modern society doesn't means it should be the same in Japan. I've heard quite bizarre things that happen in Japan.

You see, the teacher was one of the culprit himself for not doing anything. He didn't let the school notify about the events. He is pretty much one of the villains in the series. And at the time of questioning, he plays the innocent role and like everyone else, blames Ishida for everything.

I've never been bullied but I doubt avoiding being bullied is that easy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2017 2:34 PM

Nov 2011
CG-Silver said:

I've been bullied in high school. Fortunately, not as much as Nishimiya by far, and not in Japan, though not in an ideal country either like some people here. And it's indeed certainly not easy to avoid it. How could you do it, when people are in the same school, same class? I'm not even talking about the Internet that makes bullying much easier and more destructive.
May 20, 2017 3:03 PM

Oct 2013
Kyragos said:
CG-Silver said:

I've been bullied in high school. Fortunately, not as much as Nishimiya by far, and not in Japan, though not in an ideal country either like some people here. And it's indeed certainly not easy to avoid it. How could you do it, when people are in the same school, same class? I'm not even talking about the Internet that makes bullying much easier and more destructive.

Same here in elementary school. That's why I could relate to Nishimiya.

She just wanted to be friends with everybody, but their brains were too small to comprehand
May 20, 2017 3:15 PM

Sep 2008
OMG! I crying!
This is so beautiful and touching movie!
Can I say it?
Can I?
This is like the best movie which I ever seen! *.*

I was pretty sure, this gonna be really great!
I read oneshot
But... this was like whole new level!
I thought Kimi no na wa was great!
But this one beats KNNW!

I still crying... I want re-watch it again and again!

Story, animation, music, shots, characters... just...
Ah... I can't!
I love it!
Everyone should watch it!

Beautiful, just beautiful.
Well done, KyoAni.
May 20, 2017 3:51 PM

May 2015
What a unique, uncommon and rare setting! Superb storytelling it played with various of my emotions from start to finish... my heart dropped 3 times... a film about redemption and conquering your demons (all of the characters presented in this film were dealing with some kind of problem). We all have things in our past that we are ashamed of and this film takes up one such thing. There are so many thing to like about this film. The popping visuals. A screenplay with depth and maturity. Masterfully crafted characters that are at par with any other anime. A sympathetic story filled with comedy and tragedy. I love it and also the ending is very fit with the movie theme too (we know that Shouko & Shouya are going to have some lovey-dovey time [the innocent type you perverts! XD] between them, he apologizes to her letting all of his baggage behind and in a sense, he told her to start from scratch in addition she like him and she even confess to him (he didn’t realize what she meant) they bonded and they are now stronger than ever). This movie is something to cherish for a long, long time... I really recommend this movie.

May 20, 2017 3:56 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well it's a good film but 9.16 is a bit silly if you ask me. At least considering how much further down the manga is and that was arguably better still (at least story-wise)

As someone who actually was bullied for a while when I was in 6th grade I can unfortunately relate to certain aspects of this story (albeit not to the same extent of course), but even so I still don't really see what's supposedly so tear-jerking about it. I mean the bullying aspect only makes me angry and the general misery that Nishomiya and Ishida have to go through is much more plain depressive than sad if you ask me

But I'll have to give it an 8/10 in the end still, same as the manga, though it's definitely closer to 7 than 9
May 20, 2017 4:12 PM
Jun 2015
jal90 said:
Do you realize what Ueno means to Shouko? Even if one single person tells you that you are not worth and you destroyed the lives of everybody, it can fuck you up hard if you've already been through years of self-blame.

Of course it can make you feel sad or angry for a moment, but why would she care about Ueno? The MC doesn't even like Ueno, almost all the characters in the anime think she is bitch. Nobody is supporting her actions or condoning them in silence. The way to deal with those types is to disassociate from them or ostracize them from your group.

jal90 said:

No offense, but you are speaking out of your ass here.

I am pretty sure most people respond in some way to being bullying.
1) Report the bully to authority figures like teachers or police
2) Fight back
3) Try to ignore them.
4) Buddy system

Since this is Japan, really your only option is number 2 even if it burns bridges with your classmates.

jal90 said:

Shouko starts going out with Ueno through Shouya. If anything it shows that she has no confidence or agency. Which is the point of the character not only for her but for Shouya himself.

Why does she not have confidence or agency? We are never shown why is willing to give up so easily.

jal90 said:

Revenge of the nerds is a movie, not a real life story.

It generally works if teachers and police are doing their job. The social shaming will screw the bully over and if that doesn't work they might see you as too inconvenient as a target. The more revenge they try to take on you the worse it will get for them like them enjoying prison. The other type that also works is fighting back if the strength is relatively equal.

jal90 said:

Nope because there is growth and character arcs being set and resolved. Just not in the idealized way you intend to happen.

Well yes its a story, generally when you get bullied you take action in some form.

jal90 said:

Shouko takes a fucking lot of pressure to even answer Shouya that way, coming from him constantly teasing her with "don't think you are perfect", "why are you not mad", "stop being so fucking annoyingly passive" and so on. Why do you expect her to be able to attack or expose Ueno if it was so much of a big deal for her to do it once, face to face, and being forced to do it.

Its easier to expose the bully if everyone else hates the bully. The problem with bullying is when the bully is liked by peers. Ueno is a bitch that nobody would care if she was gone from their social circle.

jal90 said:

Are we talking about shoulds, or are we talking about how things actually go? In your ideal depiction of bullying, the victim would not be psychologically driven to believe that it's all their fault for being different, not conforming to standards, or not understanding well enough. That's not what happens usually.

People generally react in some way after being bullied. The problem with bullying is because the school is not doing their job or the police. If the anime showed this better or explain why she is so passive it would be easier to relate to her character. The passivity in her character is not a bad thing, but we never see this progression.

May 20, 2017 5:07 PM
Dec 2015
It was definitely the best movie I've seen this year ..... I actually did not go praised to describe how wonderful it was ... In all the time I kept it entertained, the movie itself is as if it had its own soul. ... I was so concentrated that I could not move to not lose anything and now that I finish it ... I just can not stop thinking about it ... Simply and simply this movie was great .... In all its splendor ... (I.e.

May 20, 2017 5:33 PM

Nov 2014
Ranked #4 already... srsly? Anyway, am I the only one who thought Mashiba was a fuckboy who's only after Shouko's cherry?
May 20, 2017 6:17 PM

Jul 2015
6/10
people overate everything this days

shouko was cute though
May 20, 2017 6:26 PM

Jan 2012
8.5/10

I didn't even know I enjoyed this more than your name and don't get me wrong both are good anime

Yahallo!
Yatta!
Baka!

<!
"Humans, your existence was a mistake. Conflicts, lies, jealously, greed. You once caused me to lose everything and today I will devour everything... Because I am the Valkyrie Goddess">
May 20, 2017 8:27 PM

Dec 2009
Well, i must admit, this is not what i expected. This movie seemed to portray itself as a romance title, yet what i got was a story of reconciliation. Don't get me wrong, this was an excellent story when you understand it's purpose, but i had my romance goggles on.

Truth and reconciliation.

I fully understand the story, though i'm not so good at relating to Shouya; i'd have preferred the story from Shouko's perspective.

I'm a sucker for girls like this, and i will always relate better with females and female characters, i'm usually watching romance because of the girls, not because of the guys or self-insertion. For Shouko, this was definitely a romance story, of how she came to like that boy who gave her a lot of individual attention, even if it was't necessarily positive. The story ended as soon as Shouya forgave himself, though it could have done with a bit of romantic epilogue.

I love abnormal girls, i love pure-hearted girls, i love cute girls, i love positive girls, whether they have a disability or a gift just makes them stand out more. I love girls who are special. Shouko is yet another girl who's special, and i want to know all about her, not so much Shouya.

To all the people comparing this so Kimi no Na wa, don't, they are 2 different animals.
Koe no Katachi is to Kimi no Na wa as AnoHana is to Clannad.
GenesisAriaMay 20, 2017 9:24 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
May 20, 2017 8:32 PM
Jul 2018
I liked it more than I thought it would.

The ending scene w/ Ishida crying was beautiful.

8/10
May 21, 2017 12:16 AM
Jul 2018
Just finished it hours ago with a friend of mine... but I can say this at least.

This is one of those cases where a movie touches me on a personal point, to the point where I remind stuff from the past as someone that has been bullied. Now, never had the result like this or the change in the end from other people when it comes to me but I wish it did in the end. It touches topics which I think in the end it executes itself pretty well and it got the message across, as bullying, discriminating, suicide etc does happen commonly in our world. Kawai said something in the second half that definetly describes things for me, as a person that has gone through suicide as well.

Characters well fleshed out from fully to somewhat decently, had a complaint to where some minor characters felt like they needed more screentime however thats the sacrifice apparently for the source material's adaptation.

The strength aside from the story would be its visual aesthetic and colors, as well as the visual presentation in general. Have to give props to the director mostly for the selection in all honesty, as the series feels realistic and lively the most, which is pretty neat in all honesty as well as the OST. Love the music.

Overall I will give the movie a 9/10, a pretty great film in all honesty for my end.
May 21, 2017 12:21 AM

Feb 2010
Woah just like everybody else mentioned here, i thought i'll get a romance theme in this movie and here i got reconciliation, it's not bad tho still a good movie 8/10 but...

tbh that Kawai girl? pisses me off the most, she's the worst type of girl a hypocrite one who's love to protect herself, doesn't do anything and will cry blame others but hates to be blamed heck even i love Ueno more than her, at least Ueno is very honest.

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

May 21, 2017 1:49 AM

Jul 2013
I am bit surprised they didn't mention about Kazuki Shimada if he became friends again. It just seems to be they cut him off
Pages (15) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

258 by kaycooo »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

» This is about loneliness

Soroush_07 - Dec 8, 2023

22 by Rohan_King »»
Dec 15, 2023 8:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.