Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 2, 2016 9:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, they are using that fiery little fairy like a flamethrower.

I think the action was nice for the fighting on the battlefield this episode in particular Yatori vs Nanaqu Dal
Dinqun is awesome too of course. Got what I had expected from with the clash of ideals and action. Nanaqu Dal was tougher than I had thought but Yatori still owned her of course.

Poor Dinqun D:

Sep 2, 2016 10:17 AM

Apr 2010
Strong episode after last one seems things are getting out of hand now that both sides are losing things importuned to them.
Tho i am somewhat hoping the commander has a death flag, i don't like him and he seems unfit to lead. (And with that i mean the old man)

The canyon was a obvious trap by the way seeing how much it exposes you.
Sep 2, 2016 11:18 AM

Jan 2015
Yeah Suya, I also think it's hipocrisy. But then again, you're way of thought about "war and justice" are different from Iktar. Yours way of thought are more like Yatori.
And Matthew's question is so "right at the moment". LOL
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Sep 2, 2016 11:20 AM
Jul 2018
RIP Dinqun! The battle in the canyon was nice!
Sep 2, 2016 11:24 AM

Jan 2012
Poor Deinkun, second week in a row a character arguably more likeable than some of the main cast was killed. I swear I'm not gonna be happy if that bald prick Safida survives this. Also, was actually rooting against Yatori here, at least she didn't kill the Sinack leader, but her poor spirit...and what a sight to return to. :(
animefan8800Sep 2, 2016 11:29 AM
Sep 2, 2016 11:48 AM

Aug 2008
It's been a while since I enjoy war anime. The last time was Kingdom. Hope this good quality continue.
ZapredonSep 2, 2016 11:55 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 2, 2016 11:51 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode again.

I didn't like the fact that Ikta was just punched like that, I understand why Deinkun did it but all Ikta did was just smack him lightly, He didn't even mean harm. :(

I was expecting some fan service when Yattori told Haro let's go wash up. Not sure if I should be happy or sad that we didn't get any. :P
The salute to Mathew was both cool and hilarious at the same time XD Warrior of Solitude ftw. XD

New bunch of people in the war, Wonder who they are and why they want Safida dead. Though to be honest I wouldn't mind seeing that guy die. :3
Yattori vs Daru was awesome, All of Yattori's fight sequences are amazing to watch. That poor spirit though. :(

R.I.P Deinkun, You did well.
Lelouch0202Sep 2, 2016 11:55 AM
Sep 2, 2016 11:56 AM

Jun 2014
Not only did Nanaku Daru's spirit get killed, but then she returns to her home just to see it burning to the ground. Talk about an unfortunate turn of events.

RIP Deinkun, he didn't even show up much but I kind of liked him.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 2, 2016 12:03 PM

Jun 2013
Another great and intense episode! A lot of deaths as well.
Sep 2, 2016 12:11 PM
Feb 2015
I guess i shouldn't get attached to any characters in this show...
Sep 2, 2016 1:16 PM
Mar 2016
Man with 4 more to go, I don't think at this anime will go beyond them dealing with the Sinnaks.

Deinkun's dead, if only he didn't underestimate those Sinnaks special forces he'd still be alive and arrogant.
Sep 2, 2016 1:24 PM
Jul 2015
So ikta and deinkun still had time to talk about honor while being surrounded by their enemies lol and how did the chieftain escape? She was fucking surrounded by soldiers. This anime is just getting even more retarded
Sep 2, 2016 2:06 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This show continues to impress me. The dialogues feel like there's real people behind them and not just some classic anime tropes. And they handle both humor and tragedy pretty well.

My favorite bit has to be the troops saluting the warrior of solitude though.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 2, 2016 2:13 PM

Feb 2015
Deinkun's punch on Ikta was totally over the top. That said I really like the characterisations in this show and there is nothing sanitised about the war. It's a stupid war but they all just try and survive despite incompetence by the higher ups.

Damn you Madhouse another great show that will be a one season wonder.
Sep 2, 2016 2:21 PM

May 2016
Pay your respects to a lonely warrior .
Rip Deikun :(

Sep 2, 2016 2:52 PM

Apr 2013
the discussion in the tent was very well handled, that was the best part adaptation wise. Even though I knew of that discussion, that still made literally lol. That dialogue is gold.

The battle (baring the duel that get a pass animation wise) in the second part of the episode was awfully handled. As usual you can clearly sense that the money used is not enough for large scale battles.
Sep 2, 2016 3:15 PM

Sep 2015
The general is an idiot sending his troops down a small narrow path surrounded by tall mountains. It is such an obvious kill zone.

I don't think the anime is doing too well capturing the scale of the war. It keeps explaining the scale it is but during the battles you don't feel it. They end so quickly and only show a few people engaging.
It does display the dreadfulness of the war well but the scale of the conflict is not being depicted very well.

The duel between Yatori and the Sinack Chieftain is pretty cool to watch. But couple things bothered me...
Stabbing the blade on to the ground. That is the #1 way to dull your blade.
Spinning and revealing the back was explained so I'm not going to complain on that.
I really didn't like how Yatori blocked with both her saber and dagger. The entire advantage of dual-wielding is so you can block and bind the opponent's weapon while you go for a counter attack with the other weapon.
By letting both blades bind, you are completely disregarding this decisive advantage.
Static blocking is also pretty common though I guess you can let that slide since Yatori is dual-wielding.
Finally, footwork. I don't practice the art. But When Yatori was backing away after a static block, she had her stance broken and balance way back. Mistake was to lurch backwards to aid in the static block. Instead she could of did a passing step, then parry and follow up a counter attack.
But because she didn't, both their stance was broken, they resumed back in to a stand-off.

The non-battle scenes are what this anime excels at. Which is kind of shameful since I feel like the battles which should be the main focus can be done so much better. Still enjoyable, especially the scene at the tent.
And yes all the good characters die...
zcv45Sep 2, 2016 3:31 PM
Sep 2, 2016 3:24 PM

May 2015
Another good person died in battle, unfortunately.... Aside from that, the episode was pretty good with the decent action. That scene in the tent was funny, though, lol.

Sep 2, 2016 3:58 PM
Sep 2016
Zefyris said:
the discussion in the tent was very well handled, that was the best part adaptation wise. Even though I knew of that discussion, that still made literally lol. That dialogue is gold.

The battle (baring the duel that get a pass animation wise) in the second part of the episode was awfully handled. As usual you can clearly sense that the money used is not enough for large scale battles.

I agree, if compare to qualidea code this series lack of animation for larged scale battle.
Sep 2, 2016 4:29 PM

Sep 2014
most boring war I ever saw in anime.
dropped score to 6
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Sep 2, 2016 4:32 PM

Aug 2016
zcv45 said:
The general is an idiot sending his troops down a small narrow path surrounded by tall mountains. It is such an obvious kill zone.

I don't think the anime is doing too well capturing the scale of the war. It keeps explaining the scale it is but during the battles you don't feel it. They end so quickly and only show a few people engaging.
It does display the dreadfulness of the war well but the scale of the conflict is not being depicted very well.

The non-battle scenes are what this anime excels at. Which is kind of shameful since I feel like the battles which should be the main focus can be done so much better. Still enjoyable, especially the scene at the tent.
And yes all the good characters die...

Totaly agree with you.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2016 4:38 PM

Apr 2013
These battles aren't doing much for me, it's giving me a sort of Arslan Senki vibe which isn't exactly positive. Still, I liked that fight between Yatori and the girl, especially because the fighting style of the chief was awesome and decently animated (reminds me of the cat dude from Rokka no Yuusha).

That "hero or warrior" talk made the episode, though.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Sep 2, 2016 6:10 PM

Jan 2008
Felt a little "Oregairu" deja vu there when Ikta decided to play the bag guy to solve the situation quickly.

Glad to see at least one of the superiors, the now Captain, not be a complete stubborn idiot.

The more action scenes there are with blades, the more I wish they would make new foley sounds for the clashing of swords. Right now it only sounds like hollow pipes hitting pipes, rather than solid metal. That's just me nitpicking though.
Sep 2, 2016 6:24 PM

Aug 2011
Lol many people dislike this episode, so the rating score will drop?
CrazyFrogzSep 2, 2016 6:31 PM
Sep 2, 2016 7:04 PM

Apr 2011
Lol. The warriors of Solitude.

That commander should get killed.
Sep 2, 2016 7:48 PM

Jun 2013
So the plan by Safida is flawed in many ways and everyone knows that. The problem is that there's no point in saying anything because it'll be futile anyway. Apart from that, Safida isn't going to listen to anyone. Based on that plan, the army is to burn down villages and kill their residents. But Sazaluf isn't doing the killing part but is instead sending those people to some other village. And the Sinacks hate the imperial army, obviously. I didn't expect Ikta to flick the kid on the nose to cause him to bleed. And Ikta didn't expect that either. Deinkun punches Ikta for it which works out well since the Sinacks end up not hating him.

And they get ambushed while passing through a narrow path. They get ambushed from above, below and from their side with air rifles. And there are people not Sinacks taking advantage of this situation who are after only Safida and other higher ranked dudes. The fight between Yatori and the Sinack leader was cool.

They are constantly portraying the Sinacks as being oppressed by the Empire for whatever reason. There is hatred among the Sinacks for the army and rightly so because burning down villages is just bad because it's harming the innocent who can't fight back. It does block out possible supplies to the enemy, but it's still harming the innocent. Ikta also says that they have to kill those who fight them but not those who aren't fighting. Suya considered every single one of the Sinacks to be enemies who should be killed but Ikta and Deinkun believe that that's not the right thing. The chieftain's village has also been burned down which will only strengthen her resolve to take out the army.
Sep 2, 2016 8:03 PM
Aug 2014
Man, I really hate the Empire. I'm sorry for the heroes.. but I'm starting to hate them too.
Sep 2, 2016 9:12 PM

Sep 2015
Yamada2 said:

They are constantly portraying the Sinacks as being oppressed by the Empire for whatever reason. There is hatred among the Sinacks for the army and rightly so because burning down villages is just bad because it's harming the innocent who can't fight back. It does block out possible supplies to the enemy, but it's still harming the innocent. Ikta also says that they have to kill those who fight them but not those who aren't fighting. Suya considered every single one of the Sinacks to be enemies who should be killed but Ikta and Deinkun believe that that's not the right thing. The chieftain's village has also been burned down which will only strengthen her resolve to take out the army.

I agree. When you are pressed down this badly, you are only fueling the revolt.
While I do agree with Deinkun and Ikta. Soldiers are there to win the battle, doesn't always mean they are to kill.
At the same time...
Suya is also not wrong on the technical things even if I don't morally agree with her.
Killing civilians, scorched earth, terror bombing etc. It is all part of modern war, such is total war. The anime appears to have a military capabilities of the 1870s-1900s. At this point, warfare is transitioning from colonial style line formation with muskets to bolt-action rifles in large scale skirmishes and massive artillery bombardment of civilian and military targets alike.
Evidence is the use of aerial units(dirigibles) and the use of rifled firearms.
As they continue through this transition, it will only get bloodier and if they don't adapt more people will die.
Sep 2, 2016 9:34 PM

Sep 2014
Yatori's fight was pretty cool.

Saw the others guy's death the second he was talking to that little kid.
Sep 2, 2016 10:25 PM
Jan 2016
Heretic391 said:

Place your bets as to who will die next :'(

My bet is on the good captain. Good superiors never live long. Especially since one of the MCs is a commander type, so he's probably gonna rise through the ranks. In this case it's going to always be him against the incompetent superiors who screw everything up. So the good superior has to be crossed off.

Of the episode itself, I really enjoyed the tent talk. It was kinda refreshing how we hear "Girls going to bathe" and, expecting fanservice, we get a group of guys talking about their urges and not even a flash of bare skin. :D
Sep 2, 2016 10:34 PM

Jun 2015
I don't know what's going to happen, but the moment that Ikta turns on the empire, which I certainly hope happens, is going to be so great. I can't wait to see Ikta's reaction to seeing that village burn in flames. Overall, this is definitely my type of show.
Sep 2, 2016 11:35 PM

Jul 2011
Solid episode. My only complaint is that Yatori ditched defending the dumbass lieutenant out of rage to attack the guy who killed Deinkun. Nanaku got away as a result.

But Nanaku vs Yatori was a great fight, Nanaku's style was particularly interesting.
Sep 2, 2016 11:36 PM

Sep 2013
Excellent episode. I had a bit of a laugh during the "Hero or Warrior" thing.

Yatori was awesome in this episode. Jesus this girl is amazing.

Sep 2, 2016 11:57 PM

Dec 2013
Why does it feel like all the great side characters are getting killed off one by one? The girl from last episode, and now Deinkun...

This show really likes to kill off all the good characters doesn't it.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Sep 3, 2016 12:13 AM
Oct 2007
Episode feels too short. This is the first show that I like to begin watching with on a weekend.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2016 1:09 AM

Dec 2014
well that story is progressing...War is bad no matter how you look at it..... I don't know how will it end it all.... I believe military leader was at fault...he should totally die
Sep 3, 2016 1:35 AM

Jul 2015
Good episode, i bet those cloaked assassins were internal since most of the blows on the big empires comes from with in.
Anyway whats interesting is that, not only those little pocket guys can understand when someone is speaking but they can also talk! too bad its not a Psychological anime, because otherwise it could be possible that they would be the real bad guys who manipulate humans and the usual stuff, that would be cool :)
Sep 3, 2016 2:24 AM

Sep 2013
I wish this anime had better landscape designs or whatever you call it. Those mountains just look so ugly and don't convince me at all. I think the art and animation from this anime just aren't good. The deaths aren't handled well, too. They feel empty for me. The show started disappointing me again last episode and this one is no different :/
Sep 3, 2016 2:42 AM

Jun 2013
crap they killed Dein
Sep 3, 2016 3:03 AM

Nov 2012
Dang, I actually wanted Yatori to lose, pity.

That warrior thing hits a little too close to home.
A city's greatness is determined by the speed of its internet connection.
Sep 3, 2016 4:44 AM

Aug 2015
RIP Deinkun damn! the episode was awesome loved the action.
Sep 3, 2016 10:16 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
This was a good episode that unfortunately showed the harsh realities of war like the burning of enemy resources.

The captain though is a great support character and a good humanitarian and much better than that idiot general that started the war.

Damm so they lost 9000 men in this campaign alone.
All for the power dream of that idiotic general
man that guy needs to get shot in the back

And the ambush while predictable was well done and solok was clear headed as always.

And the dual between Yatori and the chieftan was a long time coming but worth it
That chieftan was actually pretty skilled and maybe a step above Yatori as well. So the chieftan was using her wind spirit to move as fast as the wind then eh

Damm i can't believe the knight was killed though
he was a great character and a honorable one at that as well

As ever the generals plan is just full of holes.
A skilled commander like that chieftan will be able to attack his of the attack groups and destroy them piecemeal without worrying about enemy reinforcements because of that large gap between each group.

And so the madness of this war continues eh
Im surprised that the spirit sacrificed itself for the chieftan
thats some loyalty
Sep 3, 2016 2:03 PM

Jun 2013
It's really admirable how this series paints war - nobody is winning here, only loss.

Shame, I was starting to like the knight guy then this happens. Like kanna wasn't enough already :'( Btw at the end was this the same village that ikta & co were burning that at the start? Intriguing, that kala karma group - wonder where they stand in all this.
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Sep 3, 2016 3:08 PM

Aug 2015
They don't even show the gruesome parts of the war, but the guy died
before I even start to remember his name, but the tactic is more of a slaughtering than war. Igsem never fails me and Ikta by her side.
Sep 3, 2016 3:27 PM

Jan 2016
... How brutal,, a little fairy as a Flamethrower..
and not Deinqun.. ;-; ad fucking last week was kanna.. :/ who is next?!?

Great episode, in overall!
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Sep 3, 2016 4:01 PM

Jul 2009
Glory upon your soul, Deinkun!

That talk regarding 'Heroes' and 'Warriors' was funny, and Matthew exclamation and the responding salute was hilarious. And the music made it even better.

"Pay your respects to a lonely warrior!"

Stop. Calm yourself. You're an idiot.
Sep 3, 2016 5:30 PM
Jul 2018
Another good episode went-now I can at least hope that this anime is good...well that say,I am really waiting for ending that how it manage to expand this story.Well this is my first war anime/learned a lot as well~

By the way,the action was too unique~was a great fight!
Sep 3, 2016 9:42 PM
Feb 2015
As much as Captain Sazaluf seems like the next secondary character that's too good to live, my bets for the next episode are on Nanaku Daru. With her spirit dead and her village burned, her days are pretty much numbered. Which is a huge shame, since I've been heavily rooting for her to at least go past Yatori for a moment to kill that bastard Safida. That, and she's a highly sympathetic character in general - the Sinack *are* the ones in the right here, and her brief reaction to seeing her village on fire was absolutely heartrending. Plus, her design in the light novels makes her look like even more of a child than the princess.

I hope I am wrong and Ikkun manages to save what's left of the day though.
Sep 3, 2016 10:09 PM

Mar 2008
You can tell they're side-characters because they keep getting killed off-screen.
Sep 5, 2016 1:25 PM

Jun 2015
So Ikta is basically a war criminal now?
Who am I supposed to relate to?
Except for the fat guy who faps...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» YATORI

Bijou146 - Aug 31, 2023

13 by Ash_In_Space »»
Apr 22, 9:24 PM

» Aren't the spirits completely unnecessary?

Yeetyus - Feb 9

5 by Zefyris »»
Mar 18, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2016

136 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 27, 2023 12:34 AM

» Why is the princess obsessed with Ilkta?

Aithusa21 - Jul 30, 2022

5 by Zefyris »»
May 18, 2023 10:09 PM

Poll: » Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2016

179 by ilyaaseen123 »»
Mar 28, 2023 6:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.