Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 26, 2016 9:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good action this episode. Nothing too fancy and straight to the point. Of course, I did expect Yatori to kick some major ass out there in swift fashion.

They depicted the reality of war pretty well which is quite chilling. "Goodbye Kanna" D: RIP
Aug 26, 2016 11:01 AM

Mar 2016
I really wasn't expecting Kanna to die. its very sad how accurately this depicts military rank infrastructure. The guys who send their troops to be slaughtered get the credit for victoiries while remaining safe in a fort. RIP Kanna, hang in there Ikta.
Aug 26, 2016 11:15 AM

Jan 2015
Iktar's being a considerate person by listening Matthew's opinion for taking the fortress in less than one hour and that Alpine sickness too. That sniping Torway did looks so cool.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Aug 26, 2016 11:16 AM

Jan 2012
Well, we all saw it coming, which might have actually made it more depressing to watch unfold.

RIP Kanna :(
Aug 26, 2016 11:18 AM

May 2012
Aw man, here I looking forward to Friday for this, then I end the episode with an empty feeling. That god damn guy Kanna kept talking to kept raising death flags. Guess this anime really isn't pulling any punches

I love how most the high ranking officers are incompetent lol

Aug 26, 2016 11:24 AM

Jul 2014
Just fcking perfect, the only likable girl in the series just had to kick the bucket didnt she? RIP Kanna.
Aug 26, 2016 11:26 AM
Jul 2018
RIP Kanna! I did not expect her to die!
Aug 26, 2016 11:34 AM

Nov 2011
i wanted her to atleast live.
Best girl is gone now.
Hate Keeps me warm
Aug 26, 2016 11:43 AM
Aug 2014
Although it would be nice if Ikta slaughters all of the enemies, he will probably come up with some sort of treaty to end the deaths.
Aug 26, 2016 11:49 AM

Dec 2014
Excellent episode.

The camp defending and take over sequences were really well done. We got Sniper Rifles now :D

The show is doing a really good job portraying the difficulty and weight of every decision made in war. Some choice are difficult to make but in the end have to be done. :(
It was really sad to see that Ikta had to choose between saving his allies and protecting his own crew. In the end he chose to take the path with the least risk towards his comrades even if it meant being unable to save the ones at the stronghold.

Kanna :(( , I really wanted to see more of her. R.I.P

My only complaint about this series, Why the hell are these superior officers made out to look so stupid? Makes me wonder how they even rose up the ranks. The first Lieutenant in this episode is an example of that.
Aug 26, 2016 12:04 PM

Jun 2014
Kanna's death was expected, but it was still pretty sad to see Ikta's reaction. It was a difficult choice that he had to make, but like Yatori said, sometimes you have to make choices like this in war. Hopefully Ikta doesn't shoulder too much of the blame on himself and can come to terms with it.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 26, 2016 12:20 PM

Aug 2008
RIP Kanna. You will be missed.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 26, 2016 12:27 PM
Mar 2014
I thought Kanna didn't die in the manga, though? Unless that was changed in the transition from light novel -> manga.
Aug 26, 2016 12:57 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I did not expect Kanna's death to be depicted in such a relatively 'non-dramatic' and understated fashion. I thought there was going to be more to her story.

I hate knowing that this will finish in a couple of episodes. Agh!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 26, 2016 1:04 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode!
It's sad to see so many deaths only because their superiors are retarded :/
RIP Kanna, i wasn't expecting to see her dead. She will be missed :(
Ikuta revenge Kanna's death!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 26, 2016 1:06 PM
Mar 2016
Welp that's it for Kanna.
Aug 26, 2016 1:12 PM

Aug 2010
F***!!! Why Kanna :( She was adorable and both wanted to meet the 3rd time OTL

The sniping and the realistic approach with the altitude thing were great
Aug 26, 2016 1:13 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Ikta, that's such tough luck. He did not know that Kanna was in that group. Now he has to keep that in his brain that he didn't save her. It was the best choice for his army, but such a sad choice for himself.

Also that's a terrible death, just dying slowly up there with nothing.
Aug 26, 2016 1:16 PM

Apr 2013
Lelouch0202 said:

My only complaint about this series, Why the hell are these superior officers made out to look so stupid? Makes me wonder how they even rose up the ranks. The first Lieutenant in this episode is an example of that.

Actually, if you think about it, the incompetence of several commanders in the northern garrison of the Empire makes perfect sense.
Let's gather all we know here
-We know that there are political manoeuvres in play which include having the army do what they want (through stuff like the second episode and Rikan's order, as well as making the 5 saviour of the princess soldiers by force, for example ).
-It's therefore not hard to imagine that political manoeuvres from nobles would try to place peoples they can influence easily in key position when needed.
-We also know that the commander of the Imperial Army is Yatori's Father (this is revealed in the beginning of episode 1 by Halo, who call her father Marshal (or whatever title that was in the english trad, anyway the title was above other generals ).
-It is very hard to imagine that Yatori's father is an incompetent (sure didn't look like that from what we heard in episode 5, and he seemed to be a close friend of Ikta's father as well)
- IT is therefore not hard to imagine that the top of the military IS (very?) competent and would not want to have incompetent leaders in important places.
So if you're stuck with peoples placed at X rank of power by political manoeuvre, what can you do as the top of military? Well, at least make sure that they aren't anywhere where it matters, because placing them is your job that cannot easily be influenced.
-We know that the east of the empire is extremely important (frontier with kyoka republic), we also know that the central military base of the empire is near the capital (from maps you see in the opening and on the anime's official website) , we don't know about the west but we know that the North is particularly secure due to the big mountains here, that no army ever passed. You still need a base to keep the country in the North in check, but it's pretty much a base that will only deal with minor cases, like the cases of thievery and few commotions like the Sinak.
-So we know that the North is very away from the centre of command, from the capital (so little to no political influence over the centre of power if you're that far away), and that the incompetence will have low risk of giving bad consequences as long as someone or a few someone keep those guys in check since the place is quite peaceful and well protected by a natural barrier. Sazaref even says it to the newly arrived recruits in episode 6. Military in the north don't really have any eager to go to battle or stuff. The place is so far away from everything important, peaceful, and so on.
-We also know that Toakk (as the right hand of the general) was pretty much doing the work instead of the north army base instead of the general. We also know from Ikta that he was here to "keep him in check".
It is pretty obvious that as long as Toakk was alive, the general wasn't able to do some stupid or reckless stuff like that. Toakk would have probably send a message to Central if he didn't follow his advice anyway. On paper, Toakk was under the general's command since of inferior army rank, but in reality it was clear in episode 6 that the general wasn't deciding anything without checking with him first (well, except for the spirits' imprisonment that he seems to have managed to keep hidden from him).

-----> The incompetence of the military in the northern region is logical. The top of the military is placing there the incompetent officers that political manoeuvres brought into the army and they can't just get rid off completely easily in the northern base to limit as much as possible the impact of such manoeuvres both politically and on the army's competence during conflict.

Now, we could also try to even go a little further ahead:
-Unfortunately, a war starts in the supposed-to-be-peaceful area, and quite interestingly, Toakk died that same day so no one to control the situation. No one to make sure central is aware of the problem and can send correct orders, too.
Don't you think it's quite a coincidence that the only man that could have avoided that disaster of war to happen died the day that the Sinak start a war in a sector that didn't know any war during so many generations? ~
Aug 26, 2016 1:30 PM

Jul 2014
Why Kanna and not the sh*tty princess D':
Aug 26, 2016 1:34 PM

Jun 2013
So the problem here is that the higher ups are idiots who aren't thinking straight and only want to advance forwards without thinking about any possible consequences. They want to quickly wrap up the fight they started. And this mindset is leading the army to its demise. They ended up having the reserves sent to the front lines. Ikta took care of those people armed with cannons. And here the term "sniper" was used for the first time as Torway's squad had sniper rifles and were sniping down the enemy from afar. But then the platoon Kanna was in gets surrounded by the enemy after they fall for the trap and set up camp there. They start losing their senses because their bodies aren't adapted to the low oxygen up there and they're lacking the gas in order to function properly. The result is that they all die at the hands of the enemy. They should be extra cautious in these lands especially since it's the enemy's home ground. Ikta has his platoon first adapt to the high altitude before moving forward to help anyone. And this decision ends up with Kanna dying as there was no backup available. Poor cute ponytail Kanna dies. I d u didn't expect her to die. I kinda thought that that weak Azan guy would only die. But then it turned out that everyone dies. Ikta prioritized the safety of his own men which resulted in those soldiers dying. He could have gone ahead anyway but then he risked getting his own soldiers killed too as they would then be unable to work properly in the thin air. After a brilliant success, Ikta ends up unable to save anyone, not even the cute ponytail one.
Aug 26, 2016 1:52 PM

Jul 2015
That last scene was very well done. RIP best girl Kanna. Really nice to see it show the fact that there was both a positive and negative outcome to Ikta's choices
Aug 26, 2016 2:00 PM

Jun 2013
Good job anime, you have successfully made me cry my eyes out..... also FUCK YOU!
Aug 26, 2016 2:06 PM

Sep 2015
Nice episode the show is getting better!
Also damn harsh for ikta...
Aug 26, 2016 2:09 PM

Sep 2015
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Kanna was my favorite female character in this series(I don't liek teh otehrs nearly as much)

The incompetence of the Katjvarna high command is like that of WW1. Or at least in that region but whatever.

And I knew something was off when they were still in line formation.. The guns weren't even rifled!
So airships and then rifles... I bet next would be like machineguns lol. Seriously, at this rate they are going to end up like WW1. The leadership is already shown to be incompetent and with the new technology, casualties are just going to sky rocket.
zcv45Aug 26, 2016 2:16 PM
Aug 26, 2016 2:17 PM

Nov 2014
Why Kanna did have to die ;<
Aug 26, 2016 2:26 PM

Feb 2015
There are echo's of WW1 in this series. New technology, incompetent commanders and tough terrain. It's good the show isn't too flash about it's subject matter and shows every action has a reaction which is not always positive.

I really rate this show so far and Ikta is such an interesting character.
Aug 26, 2016 2:36 PM

Jan 2015
RIP Kanna. The best ships/girls always die young.

Seriously though Kanna should've lasted another volume for her death to have real impact. It still hurt when I read vol.2, but I just want more Kanna.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Aug 26, 2016 2:37 PM

Jun 2011
Lelouch0202 said:

Nepotism, Lineages, Favors etc. It's to be expected out of an ancient Empire. That's why a military functions best through merit which I assume the Kioka military operates.

And I already got spoiled what happens to Kanna, not that it makes it any less heart wrenching.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Aug 26, 2016 2:38 PM

Jan 2014
Wrsty said:
That last scene was very well done. RIP best girl Kanna. Really nice to see it show the fact that there was both a positive and negative outcome to Ikta's choices

Yet the choice was still the right one, even if he had known that she was up there, which actually makes it harder on him.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Aug 26, 2016 3:08 PM

Apr 2014
Well there fucking goes best girl. I want to cry because I really liked her character for some reason. Oh well. Amazing episode though. I might really pick up the light novels once this anime finishes, I really, really love the storyline and characters, that is if they are getting translated, will check later.

5/5
Aug 26, 2016 4:07 PM
May 2010
By the time that we knew that Ikta was heading there and got to his decision point, Kanna already had raised enough death flags to fill a Grannery and thus, I expected her maybe to be critically wounded enough to say her goodbyes when her arrived or dead. The issue with what happened is that regardless of what choice Ikta would have made, they would have most likely lost tremendously, but in that sense, Ikta made the right decision by resting and ensuring that his forces didn't get annihilated by the enemy upon arrival.

Sure it can be easier to break a siege when attacking from both sides, but with low morale on the inside of the stronghold, high morale of the attackers not to mention an overwhelming advantage in terms of adaptability, I doubt even Ikta would have been able to successfully fend off their attackers, and even if he had, he would have ended up in exactly the same spot as Kanna with having to defend the fort with troops that were falling left and right due to alpine sickness.

Possibly the best thing that's happened is how the commander that was to accompany ikta's group fled from them for some reason, making Ikta the groups de facto commander. Hopefully Ikta will remain in that position in a way that allows him to make full use of his ability and keep his troops alive in the hostile climate they find themselves in.

Still, it seems fairly obvious what the Sinack's strategy is, use their adaptability to the height to their advantage, trick their enemy into advancing too quickly and extending themselves too much, increasing the odds of alpine sickness setting in, use their knowledge of the terrain to sneak past the frontlines and raid supply bases...

Overall the situation for the empire here does not look good, and given the small amount of troops under ikta's command I believe he'll either have to assist in winning a crucial battle, or end up somehow turning a suicide attack on the enemies main base into a successful capture of their leader and somehow gain the authority to negotiate some kind of treaty hopefully. I really hope that this doesn't end with ethnic genocide as that would put a rather.. souring taste on the show.

Edit: Once again Yatori and Haro both looking good for best girl, with haro honestly almost coming out ahead for me. Yatori is awesome, but there's just something about Haro's almost kindness and wishes to help save people, aswell as how she thus far seems fine even after having helped treat what is most likely dozens if not hundreds of dying soldiers whilst remaining sane. That kind of toughness is something that Yatori herself is close to, but this episode Haro narrowly wins out. Ofcourse, Had Kanna survived she'd been best girl... I wish Kanna didn't have to end up dead and could somehow end up together with Ikta but, alas, given that she wasn't going to be part of either the medics or under ikta's command, it was painfully obvious almost from the start that she was going to end up as our tragic heroine. Luckily they threw in enough death flags that even a blind mouse would have figured it out and thus it doesn't end up as a sudden, tear jerk experience.
Viper_607Aug 26, 2016 4:13 PM
Aug 26, 2016 4:29 PM

May 2015
"And I was looking forward to meeting you for the third time."

That was painful. It was pretty obvious she would die, but still, why? ;__;.... It's so cruel and not fair.... I really liked Canna. It must be all the more painful for Ikta....

Aug 26, 2016 5:16 PM
Jul 2018
I actually liked Kanna, damn that's sad.

Anyway, it's disturbing how many kids say they think a lot like Ikta. Like, sure, everyone can see the conclusion he comes to in hindsight, but that doesn't mean you're as smart as him. Lol hell most people on MAL probably don't read a lot of books. Note: I'm only talking to the stupid kids. If you know where you stand, you wouldn't have a problem with my post.
Aug 26, 2016 5:40 PM

Feb 2014
Honestly deaths like these would have a much bigger effect if they weren't so god damn obvious. She was literally a walking death flag.
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Aug 26, 2016 6:19 PM

Sep 2011
I noticed this went from 26 episodes to 13. This is unfortunate considering this season is looking to be entirely build-up. It pains me that certain stories work better in manga format than they do in anime format. This series is looking to sit right next to Overworld in the group of shows where the first season was all build-up and ultimately butchered the source in order to make it work.
Aug 26, 2016 6:31 PM

Sep 2013
Death flag was so obvious it made the episode predictable. Should've been done in a different way, with a different character. Getting a love interest out of nowhere just to kill it just as sudden as it appeared... is not good. At least we got something about the bitter taste of war... Still, didn't like at all the way the whole thing was scripted.
Aug 26, 2016 7:10 PM
Nov 2015
I knew it was coming. I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT. But still...

Holy shit.

4/5
Aug 26, 2016 7:31 PM
Aug 2014
This anime is hard to watch. I mean, the heroes are part of the villains (the Empire).
Aug 26, 2016 7:59 PM
Feb 2015
Seriously? They killed off Kanna the best girl and kept that useless princess alive.
Aug 26, 2016 7:59 PM

Sep 2014
Probably my favorite episode.

Although not because of Kanna, I really didn't feel much from her death. Even though I liked her. Pretty obvious death though.

I liked the choices ikta had to make, and the balance of war and character moments at the same time.
Aug 26, 2016 8:24 PM

Nov 2013
i havent feel this level of sadness after that one episode on Psycho-Pass. Shit, i am so depressed right now. Why all my favorite side character get this kind of treatment??!!!
Aug 26, 2016 8:28 PM

Jan 2016
Seeing Kanna dead was pretty depressing. Really solid episode.

Aug 26, 2016 8:51 PM

Jan 2013
Did not expect Kanna to die so suddenly.
Great episode though
Aug 26, 2016 9:12 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Excellent depressing episode, something that I haven't seen for some time, the soundtrack and the snow made the scene even more depressing

Truly one of the better anime this year

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Aug 26, 2016 9:24 PM
Oct 2009
Anyone noticed how they phased out almost all the females amonst the Shinark? They've been touted as a matriarchal society, with female soldiers and are lead by a woman. In this episode female soldiers amongst them unlike the manga/light novel were pretty much completely absent.

It feels odd, because women are shown to be part of both armies and in absurdly high numbers yet whenever fighting scenes happen and it comes to dying in the anime they're almost entirely absent including the scene where one of them tries to trick Matthew.

Only time they were shown was when it was about the sad scene where he finds Kanna, with some dead imperial soldiers mixed in amongst the corpses solely to amplify the "horror" of the situation. Quite weird.
Aug 26, 2016 9:24 PM

Dec 2014
Zefyris said:
Lelouch0202 said:

That's a very well thought out analysis and makes a lot of sense. I suppose it isn't hard to imagine that the noble's influence is why all these incompetent officers exist and putting them up North to reduce their influence is something the military is likely to do.
If the Sinak war were to wipe out all these 'puppet' officers isn't that something beneficial to the military? So does that mean there are chances that the whole incident with Taekk dying could have been set up?
Aug 26, 2016 9:44 PM

Jan 2011
something Alderamin has done well from the start is it's depiction of war in it's universe, maybe i'm just getting old always get depressed seeing all that death now.
Aug 26, 2016 10:47 PM

Apr 2011
How the hell does these incompetent nincompoops get promoted to higher positions!?

And because of that, the soldiers were slaughtered, including Kanna? :(

I already got spoiled, and yet it still saddens me.

Ikta taking that base in less than one hour was awesome. The sniping was awesome to see. And the
enemy got wiped out.

I wonder what Ikta will do? Will he seek revenge?
Aug 26, 2016 11:29 PM
Oct 2010
Magito said:
How the hell does these incompetent nincompoops get promoted to higher positions!?

And because of that, the soldiers were slaughtered, including Kanna? :(

I already got spoiled, and yet it still saddens me.

Ikta taking that base in less than one hour was awesome. The sniping was awesome to see. And the
enemy got wiped out.

I wonder what Ikta will do? Will he seek revenge?

Because the leader of the northern garrison is corrupt, that's pretty much it. He's essentially in the "easy" region and does no work himself and likely had an easy time subjugating the locals (judging by what was said last episode).

He surrounds himself with incompetent people, save for his second in command, because he doesn't want

1. Anyone showing him up.
2. Anyone exposing him.

He can only do this because of how easily the region is pacified (or so he thought).
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» YATORI

Bijou146 - Aug 31, 2023

13 by Ash_In_Space »»
Apr 22, 9:24 PM

» Aren't the spirits completely unnecessary?

Yeetyus - Feb 9

5 by Zefyris »»
Mar 18, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2016

70 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 27, 2023 10:09 PM

» Why is the princess obsessed with Ilkta?

Aithusa21 - Jul 30, 2022

5 by Zefyris »»
May 18, 2023 10:09 PM

Poll: » Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2016

179 by ilyaaseen123 »»
Mar 28, 2023 6:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.