Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Aug 6, 2016 3:12 PM

Mar 2008
I'm honestly baffled at the comments I'm seeing on here. Do people actually like it when anime spend huge chunks of time delivering exposition? Do they actually want one-note characters that can easily be summed up in an episode? No wonder most anime is trash. UtD gives enough overall info about what the plot is without spending forever lecturing the audience. I will say that this doesn't quite stand on its own. However, while I do hope more gets made, I don't feel like my money was wasted if this is all we get.

I don't get the complaints about the show involving a high school or high school girls because this is no great surprise; they were pretty up-front about its content when the Kickstarter was going. Additionally, they pretty much destroyed those elements.

I'm also confused about the remarks regarding there being a "male lead." UtD does not have a "male lead"; instead, it has a "male." That guy was no lead character. He was never portrayed in such a manner. Just because he gets more focus than other dudes in the show does not make him the "male lead."
Nothing
Aug 6, 2016 4:14 PM

Jan 2012
SidewalkSteve, yes people like to be fed information apparently , rofl. Just look at the beloved hyped up anime such as Madoka Magica, Psycho Pass, Fate/Zero among others that just give long exposition for no good reason, lol.
Aug 6, 2016 6:46 PM

Mar 2008
Hah! Well, at least in Fate/Zero's case, that was a rather poor attempt at making the series palatable to viewers that hadn't read/watched any previous Fate work. I don't know if that crops up elsewhere in the show, though; I haven't watched season 2 yet.
Nothing
Aug 6, 2016 7:52 PM
Jan 2016
1st ep. I got to say it didn't to me much stuff. The staff managed to brought a wonderful trailer that gived me so hyped. But the ova itself wasn't as good as what the showed.
Visual art was ok, i like all the battle, some scence was really wow me( i didn't expect it to has some nude in there).
The OST and sound effect is great, i like how the troop's voices was sound bit more like thier native, the japanese engrish was kind of a pain in your ears :))
But the most dissapointing is the plot. Wtf, i can't barely understand a single drop of the story. Ok there a monster, they fought it but then what. Every thing tha susposed to be good was total destroyed by the story. At least you could give us informs like "what is the Pandora"- a fresh meat monster running around doing it's works. Jeez.
After all this is something that bring me up to sky, and then drag me down underground. }:(
Aug 7, 2016 3:06 AM

Apr 2012
wow that was good n english i didnt need subs for
Aug 8, 2016 4:35 AM
Mar 2008
I think where it ultimately fails is the lenght combined with the complex story they are trying to throw at you. The result is no explanation and character development whatsoever.
In the end, they should have kept it simple in that regard. Outside of the english (which was somewhat of a pain to listen to because the VAs weren't that good at all, not because of the language itself), everything else was good and thats sad when it gets destroyed by everything else.
Aug 8, 2016 7:06 AM
Dec 2013
That was... really hectic.

I really think they should have fleshed this out into something longer.

There was too much happening, with little to no character development.
Aug 8, 2016 9:23 AM
Mar 2015
that was interesting, i hope for another ova in the future
Aug 8, 2016 10:30 AM

Mar 2014
This OVA is pretty good in terms of story and animation, they really did a good job on it. Character design is the only thing I didn't really like because I felt like they are kinda boring and there is nothing appealing about them

I think it has some potential to be great and I hope there is going to be more of it
Aug 8, 2016 7:43 PM

Oct 2008
I saw pure chaotic action and left boob.
3/5.

Aug 8, 2016 8:04 PM

Sep 2010
Goes to show how hard it is to make anime in Japan. They took a huge risk by going on Kickstarter which didn't reach the goal it dreamed of :( I hope there's more in the future. This kind of work reminds me of Production IG style anime (somehow it reminded me of Noblesse Unleashed with the monsters).

Fun fact: Average anime costs around 2 million USD (13 episodes) to make while some US cartoons cost $400k to $1mill PER episode. Difference in animation cultures right there.

I give it a 3/5
Aug 8, 2016 8:57 PM
Jul 2018
That was actually a lot better and more interesting than I was expecting. Felt like the first episode of an anime. The story was actually pretty interesting and i'd like to know more about what was really going on. Wasn't expecting Hana to die. While I don't know if there is really enough here for 12 episodes, a few more OVAs to expand and flush out the story would be cool. I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

8/10 as an opening episode
7/10 as a standalone OVA
removed-userAug 8, 2016 9:05 PM
Aug 9, 2016 12:45 PM

Nov 2013
Maybe it's only me, but the background music at 21:20 reminded me of Shokigeki no Souma XD

Other than that...it was quite a turn-off. I find it quite immature when something is gore just for the sake of being gore...

I mean, seriously? A little schoolgirl killing a bunch of armed soldiers...similar things happen a lot in anime, I know, but it just didn't feel right at all.

The last 2 minutes were okay I guess. It started picking up but then it ended.
Aug 9, 2016 10:27 PM

Aug 2015
I definitely enjoyed this episode but there's too many things that needs to be explained but it's kinda understandable since it's just the prequel anyway. Kinda shocking that the way they VA the soldiers has better english than most of the engrishs in every single anime had to offer, must had been legit americans who had voiced this. Art seems bland but that action scenes are definitely popcorn worthy though kinda underwhelming from what I saw in their previous PV but it's kinda expected since it's a kickstarter series so definitely can't be picky since I didn't backed for this anyway lol. Another random thing why would they even bother to "censored" that first part when they just randomly show that right boob during that action scene LOL.
Aug 11, 2016 1:48 PM

Jan 2010
It was pretty meh. Not interesting. If it would be a regular series I might give another chance to it or forget it forever...

"The other side of the other side of the other side would be the other side"
Aug 13, 2016 2:20 PM

Jun 2013
I kinda liked it. It's understandable that this an ova and there are many things that weren't explained. But I hope the make full-fledged series out of this cause the story is quite interesting.
Aug 14, 2016 7:57 AM

Apr 2014
Worse than Monogatari series.
Aug 14, 2016 12:08 PM

Aug 2014
Did they make this just to show the animation? because there is nothing else of a value in it.

Animation - 9 (great)

ART - 6 (basic, detailed)

Sounds - 6 (Very good effects, other=average)

Story - 1 (None)

Characters - 1 (Barely exists)

Enjoyment - 4 (The action and explosive stuff were nice to look at, other than that i couldn't enjoy anything else)

World-Building/Atmosphere - 2/2 (Nothing explained on how it works, looks like its not innovative at all, takes from GitS for example) (No feelings at all)

Overall: I know this is a stand alone OVA and maybe its harsh to judge it on my scale, but if i do that it will be unfair to the other shows in my list, all on the same scale :)

My Final Rating: 3.5/10
Aug 14, 2016 6:00 PM

May 2015
9,5/10

[アウサマ95]
Aug 17, 2016 6:16 PM

Nov 2015
Yeah it does really feel like a prologue, though the action scenes were decent. 6/10

Aug 21, 2016 5:23 PM

Jan 2011
Overall it was okay. I had hoped for more, but it was okay.

The US soldiers didn't sound right, but at least it was english, and only the tone was wrong, compared to other productions. At least i didn't notice anything off.

The monster was unexpected, but not exactly out of place.

I liked Hana, she felt believable as both a 16 (or so) year old girl and as a professional assassin. Also, nobody wasted much time on pointless stand up speeches anime likes so much. Especially Hana's death would surely have used up 5 minutes in a regular anime. And in the end, Anthea would not have pulled the trigger anyways. So yeah, some refreshing deviation from the standard.

The characters in the background, when not the focus of the scene were a bit lazy. Sure, other anime don't do it any different, but they wanted $300k and got around $900k, so i would have expected them to put a bit more effort into details like this. Or, another way to say this: How would it have looked like with the original funding goal?

The animation and general level of detail and such was really good, just the background characters not.

It was overall about what i expected. Could it have been better? Sure. But it's okay on it's own, some fresh ideas/doing away with old baggage (like, in 90% of regular anime, Anthea would have screamed "pervert" before *not killing Shunichi, or at least blushed heavy and being all flustered) make it certainly worthwhile.

I think they also had some "hard" decision to make on what to show since it's just one episode, and they obviously didn't want to spend too much time on any single thing, but especially the background, leaving this for a regular 12 (or more, why not) episode anime.

Lets see if they can get (more regular?) funding for such a thing and if they can stay true to what they wanted to achieve at the same time.
Aug 22, 2016 11:30 AM

Aug 2014
The OVA was good, for all the reasons that most have explained already. The story was between the lines (not needlessly spoken to inform the brain-dead), these weren't characters that were meant to be "developed" (the only character that matters was Anthea, and her part in this show was to tease the badass protagonist) , the animation (not art style, flashy character designs, exotic color pallet, but the actual animation as in movement) was on point, etc etc.

I just wanna add what others have not, I loved that they showed the list of the backers and that song was lit!

PS. I saw some complain about the time frame earlier, but the year is 2025. It's confirmed on the description on the website as such, it's also states that it happened five years after the Olympics. Tokyo will be hosting them in 2020. That just goes to show how much thought is truly put into some of these "reviews". lul
BlurredVision18Aug 22, 2016 11:34 AM
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Aug 26, 2016 9:21 PM

Jun 2013
Not gonna lie, I'm kinbda drunk.

Think that made it better.

7/10 want more.

Edit: I take that back, I think I would have been just as excited/intrigued regardless of sobriety. ending was pretty great.
-Trippwire-Aug 26, 2016 9:32 PM
Aug 30, 2016 11:05 PM

Aug 2014
Hooray for random nipple shot :

This was pretty meh tbh. I mean yeah the action was good and all but that's about it. I guess there's only so much you can do with a limited amount of time.
I liked Hana but Anthea completely stole the show for me once she got introduced. A shame that she didn't show up earlier. (I mean she was pretty much the reason why I wanted to watch this in the first place)
The english didn't make me want to cut off my ears for once (looking at you Psycho-Pass Movie), so kudos to that.

I wouldn't mind a full tv series because I really dig the concept of the OVA, just wished things were more clearer.
5/10
KashKetchumAug 30, 2016 11:16 PM
Sep 11, 2016 9:31 AM

Apr 2011
It takes skill to disappoint someone who was expecting nothing to begin with. Congratulations, Under the Dog. You've entered that special list of few that have done that to me. An extremely generous 2/10.
Sep 12, 2016 7:36 PM

Jul 2012
here for everyone who still thinks there will be more
Q: Will there be a sequel?
A: At this point, no. When the Kickstarter campaign ended, it did not reach its stretch goals. After one year of PayPal fund raising, we still haven't reached the 2nd goal of $1.16 million to make a sequel.

apparently it costs around $145,214 to make an 30 minutes episode and they reached $878,028
man i never thought that the idea of 'early access' will some day reach animes

also this anime was shit, once again waifu bait, cute girls doing stupid things, pretty average animation for that amount of money and wtf was the trailer about

props for the 38 min play time of which 15 min were credits

10/10 best anime ever, plebs always need to be spoonfed, so artistic :^)
Oct 4, 2016 1:11 AM

Sep 2010
Oh man, I'm sad this is just an OVA... It seems alot of people are complaining, but I really enjoyed it and was hoping this would be a full series... Aa so sad.
Oct 8, 2016 12:18 PM

Jul 2008
So many unanswered questions....
Why are they keeping the parents hostage? How did the parents die? Was there some sort of chip implanted in their brains that exploded when their daughter died? Why? She wasn't trying to escape, she did her job and died for that job, so why did the parents need to be eliminated? Why does it have to be teen aged girls doing the fighting? Were their bodies altered so they could fight? Who are all the other girls? What is their back stories? I guess their parents are being held hostage? Why is that even necessary?

The there is the creatures....What are these 'Pandora' creatures? What the difference between black & white? What were they planning on doing with the 'White'? Why does this 'Flower' group want to kill these 'Pandora' creatures? Why can't they work with the military? Why are they actively fighting against the military? Why is the military against this 'Flower' organization?

But, the animation was pretty and the fight scene pretty cool... I just wish I understood more of the story.

Also, looking back at the Under the Dog trailer, I realized that nothing in that trailer was in the OVA that was released. What? What? o__O”
GreenTea13Oct 8, 2016 12:32 PM
Oct 28, 2016 8:41 AM

Jun 2013
Was definitely decent for the time it was given, it was super depressing though
7/10
Nov 10, 2016 9:36 AM

Dec 2012
Nice boob

.. The rest was kinda meh
Nov 12, 2016 6:43 AM

Dec 2012
The animation of the action parts was great, and for once the english was good.
It's too bad that we didn't have more explanations about the story, may be in a full TV size anime.
Dec 20, 2016 7:57 PM

Jan 2015
This was very uninteresting. The focus on an actual story and characters were basically nonexistent, so there's no substance to hold it up. All it did was throw guns, random monsters and explosions in your face. I need much more than that to keep me engaged and to care.

The English was shockingly good though.
Dec 21, 2016 1:28 AM
Jan 2009
Copying my comment from another thread:

Yes, people should keep their expectations realistic, but the creators should also be aware of the limitations of a single episode and be able to tell a reasonably cohesive story in that episode. The episode was pretty enough, but the storytelling left much to be desired. It did show promise; maybe if there was a full series (or even a feature-length movie) it'd be better.

and adding on to that: I liked that the English was spoken by native speakers, but it didn't seem like they were professional voice actors, because their delivery left something to be desired. Music was pretty good. The single-boob nudity seemed a bit unnecessary and out of place.

Wasn't expecting Hana to die 3/4 of the way through the episode.
Pie is delicious.

Jan 23, 2017 9:59 AM

Dec 2008
NOT bad. Nottoo much originality out there, which is ironic considering if this HAD been made when the creator wanted, back in the early 90's, it might have been one of the archtypes for this type of story thats all over anime shows. Still it looked pretty good, the sound was good, they got actual english speakers for once for the soldiers, and it was fairly enjoybale. 6.5/10 I hope there is a series . ^~^
Jan 25, 2017 12:14 AM

Aug 2015
It was honestly pretty lame.

Jan 28, 2017 12:29 PM

Sep 2011
Ehhhhh. Something like this can't be done in 30 minutes. So many questions. Barely anything answered.

I have issues with the girl's personality swap, but my primary issue is that everything just felt wasted at the end.

I wasn't expecting much, but I feel like I wasted time watching this.
Feb 18, 2017 1:09 PM
Mar 2012
Got the BD. Expected 28.5 minutes to be either mindless action or rushed plot mess. It's surprisingly well paced. Explanations & mysteries are given, & enough action to be like an intense ep1.
Art is average, bg detailed enough, animation quite good in part B when it turned Michael Bay with King Kong.
Music esp Kevin Penkin's were great.
Stormtrooper aim: amusing how it's explained. All Flowers have green eye power, some telekinetic ability. Hana jammed some guns, and possibly moved their aim tho the later isn't clear. But most soldiers were rather slow & unprofessional. Good to use 7 Western va's for natural English, but they lack the tense military feel in dialogue & tone.
Anthea vs pandora shows a lot of cool action with the telekinesis. Lots of 90's ova style (commentary quite funny and explains this). Hand drawn explosions (mostly by Hidetsugu) and flying debris quite nice.
Early exposition describing Hana's family, hints the nervous parents might know a Flower's family gets killed if they fail, ties well to the aftermath. I didn't expect HS mysterious transfer student & hidden ability guy cliches ugh... so only got interested after the military came.

Also strange Anthea only appears very late. Hana's the real protagonist for this episode, so some backers might be angry they got baited, tho it's definitely a pilot/prologue with much larger hint of world building & story around Anthea that hopefully they can get made.

Gore: just awesome sauce. Not quite Elfen Lied, but flying limbs like Utawarerumono & 90 ovas apocalypse 0, vampire sensou etc.

Story: it doesn't scream original. Superhumans (light of humanity) who go berserk with overuse, mentioned as black or white Flowers, was common enough. Rewrite, Ushio to Tora, Busou Renkin, Claymore etc all have this theme. The monster retaining fatherly care & that ensuing tragedy was probably the most interesting part. If they explore what's a good monster & do all Flowers need to be exterminated eventually, might become more unique, I guess some Parasyte feel. This kickstarter didn't push story creativity (unless it expands later), but it did make a modern show with 90s elements, which I like a lot since these rarely show up.

On commentary: nice showing what character cameos are from backers. Only around 5 key animators worked on it & had a rough schedule, 2 only joined later on. Orange CG is mostly good, those weapons/vehicles, black hawk, very detailed tires.
Tho show isn't on ufotable level, effects detail goes movie level. Hana's blood stains while running, detailed bullet holes get added for many shots. Soldier camo paint follows the animation (& there's a lot of it). Animating texture only happens in some newer films, like Wind Rises.
But some examples of wasted time/efficiency. Hana guns, the badminton shuttle were both 2d animated, and they cried how difficult these were (one literally never wanted to draw 2d guns again lol). These mech/props really benefit from 3d, and focus animator effort on other things.
The 2d animated pandora is crazy & great tho, has some eva vibe too. Modern shows tend to do 3d monsters, or 2d with limited motion.
gophercgFeb 18, 2017 1:34 PM
Feb 20, 2017 7:59 PM

Jun 2012
Disappointed given how much money I backed into this. At least I got to see some Anthea titty.
Feb 25, 2017 5:47 PM
Jul 2018
Holy Crap!
That was actually freaking Awesome *.*
I mean, I knew it was gonna be interesting, but i didn't think it'd be this great. Dayum.

Such an original story, I love it.
The drama is amazing. Hana is the one who opens the show and then she ends up dying in such a sad way D-;
Loved all the characters and the action scenes were very good too.

Would definitely, Definitely watch the full anime, god damn. Hope we get more Under The Dog soon *.*
Mar 10, 2017 9:06 PM

Oct 2013
Decided to rewatch this as I got my blu-ray from backing it in the mail today. One area which I think Under the Dog completely excelled at (which I had forgotten) was in its soundtrack. The OST is awesome. Relisting to it gives me the shivers.
Mar 18, 2017 11:53 AM

Jun 2011
This looked so fucking good, man I wish they would make a series out of Under the Dog, the idea was awesome.

In fact, the OVA wasn't too bad at the beginning, I just feel like everything about Shunichi wasn't done very well, but the ending was great. The music score at the end was great.

I am definitely hoping to get more of this.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 29, 2017 12:34 AM

Jan 2014
what is the story lol..

why Hana families always lying
why would they kill their own light
what's flower, they didn't even describe each flower abilities.
etc etc.

too much question left behind.
5/10 because of good action.
Apr 15, 2017 8:53 PM

Dec 2012
I have to laugh at the mom telling Yu-kun to come down because its his sisters important day. WTF that got to do with him? That's why he's not down there already.
Damn. They killed that old dude.
Dat arm.
Kid understands perfect English?
Took his head.
Pandora.
These dudes had to bomb a girl to beat her. lol
Anthea is fine.
Whole family dead, except for Yu-kun.
She got a forcefield.
Oh!!! Hey!!!! Oppai! Nipple!
I knew it was that old dude. I did think of the possibility that he was Shuninchi's dad.
Dat arm.
Hurry up and turn around. Free nipple.
Oh, he got a gunshot instead.
Hana died for nothing.

It was good enough. I hope for a full series, which would obviously make it better. Also, more nipples.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Apr 24, 2017 10:44 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Trailer feels misleading from the OVA. Would be nice if they had a better introduction; I felt confused and underwhelmed by the end of the OVA. It's good if you want to see some action, but not if you're looking for a good story with substance.
Dec 8, 2017 5:56 PM

Oct 2011
smooth animation. and that's one huge credit list.

May 1, 2018 6:43 PM

Jun 2009
Better than most full seasonal shows. Easily an 8/10.
Nov 2, 2018 1:13 AM

May 2012
Well this was actually quite impressive if you ask me, especially for a Kickstarted anime ova episode. Really liked the general setting and pacing of this single episode. Really interesting concept and it's actually a shame we only have a single episode of it.

All in all it's a whole lot better than I first expected it would be!
May 31, 2019 5:01 PM

Oct 2015
Didn't think Hana and Shunichi would die so soon, that was a real shocking twist.

It's a series I would enjoy because it holds no boundaries and allows the writer to tell the story how they want to.

7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 18, 2019 1:58 AM
Jun 2017
Very cool the animations, given the story that was being told at the same time. It didn't seem cool to me, but if it fit a series, with the same staff and direction it would be much more attractive.
Aug 25, 2019 11:50 PM

Sep 2018
I didn't participate in said kickstarter everyone is going on about and have never heard of this anime before now. I enjoyed it to a point. I didn't like that the US Military was the bad guys here, seems to have tones of the current anti-american messages that are going on in japan at this time. Also they seemed to just be pale standin bad guys, since it's never explained as to why they are against the flowers and why they want the boy, it's obviously not because he was thought to be a white, they seem to have no knowledge of the existence of Pandoras from their reaction to the pandorazed person. Also the ending was very confusing.
Though, other than the ending, I don't agree that it was hard to understand, it was easy enough to fill in the gaps and figure out what was going on. I understand that it was supposed to be a series that never materialized, but I think it's easy enough to fill in the gaps with your own imagination, is everyone here so used to having every minor detail explained to them that they can no longer do that?
KristiwazhereAug 25, 2019 11:56 PM
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Several years later...in 2021

Belsel - Aug 10, 2021

2 by Belsel »»
Aug 10, 2021 6:49 AM

» Future for this work

800MEric - Aug 6, 2016

13 by Tracer_Senpai »»
Oct 24, 2018 10:54 AM

» Do you even OVA?

soredemoii - Aug 8, 2016

4 by CodeBlazeFate »»
Dec 30, 2016 7:08 PM

» Perhaps a full Tv series for Under the Dog

KurumiNightmare - Oct 30, 2016

2 by LaceyKuroki »»
Oct 30, 2016 2:58 PM

Poll: » How should future episodes of the series be made as.

Domayv - Oct 16, 2016

0 by Domayv »»
Oct 16, 2016 4:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.