Forum Settings
Forums

You could be killing anime industry... right now!?

New
Jul 3, 2016 3:42 PM
Nov 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex501K9pYYc
http://goboiano.com/list/4104-how-much-money-you-cost-the-anime-industry-when-you-illegally-stream

I know some of us are tired of hearing this, but the thing is really serious.
The anime industry could be losing between 5.7 to 22 millions dollars every year!
Let's face this, guys.
Just imagine how many shows could get second season!
Therefore, we should stop complaining about a new anime season, since we're killing the industry itself :v

Let's think! What can we do to solve this? Taking all those sites down won't help the anime, either. It's thanks to those sites that anime became really popular among the westerners. So... let's find a way. Let's use our hyper developed otakus brains :v
KendaiRendanJul 3, 2016 3:49 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 3, 2016 3:55 PM

Feb 2013
Murderers, you're murderers
We are not the same as you

The anime industry could be losing between 5.7 to 22 millions dollars every year!
sounds like an overestimate... illegal streamers and downloaders probably wouldn't buy legal streams and dvds

What can we do to solve this?
spoiler - we cant do anything to solve it
you can turn to torrents and xdcc.. better than streaming
romagiaJul 3, 2016 3:59 PM
Jul 3, 2016 3:58 PM

Oct 2014
Free legal streaming would be the best solution. Unfortunately that doesn't seem possible.
Jul 3, 2016 3:58 PM

Mar 2014
I don't know

I don't care

#LeaveComicAlone
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 3, 2016 4:00 PM

Feb 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
Free legal streaming would be the best solution. Unfortunately that doesn't seem possible.
but crunchy offers lots of shows for free, with 1 week after they finished airing
Jul 3, 2016 4:02 PM

Apr 2016
I watch everything I can legally, and then if the series is in my taste I'll buy the UK Bluray release if there is one. some series I will go out and buy the Japanese box set (Neon Genesis Evangelion) and then some I'll go out and buy merch and figures for (Kill La Kill). I also donated a large sum too the Little Witch Achedima Kickstarter project. I believe I do what I can to support the projects I enjoy. But if people just want to watch, nothing more I support that. maybe it's the industry that needs to change, too take more advantage of western audiences and not the fans, but hey. what do I know.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2016 4:04 PM
Jul 2018
You can't really stop illegal streaming and it exist not only in anime but tv, film, games and music.
removed-userJul 3, 2016 4:08 PM
Jul 3, 2016 4:05 PM

Oct 2014
romagia said:
zombie_pegasus said:
but crunchy offers lots of shows for free, with 1 week after they finished airing
Sorry, I forgot that outside of Canada they actually do show anime for free. There still are a lot of restrictions on free viewing, though. The ads are necessary, but free viewers are also only allowed watching in SD.
Jul 3, 2016 4:06 PM

Oct 2014
How about we push the publishers so far that they will keep on Expanding their reach?
Then at least the ones who do it Illegally because they cannot watch it due to Licenses will Likely start watching it legally.
Jul 3, 2016 4:12 PM
Nov 2014
This thing again....
Let me tell you something, these estimates are just fear-mongering to get moralfags like you to buy their stuff out of guilt. They know very well that my downloads don't cause them any damage, in fact it's beneficial for the industry (because I buy the source material like many others).
Jul 3, 2016 4:15 PM

May 2015
This also means that people all around the world are gaining 5.7 to 22 millions of dollars every year, more money for anime fans. So we should increase the amount of money gained by anime fans so that they have more money to buy anime related products. So from now on everyone that wants to support the industry should illegally stream anime in order to have more money to support the industry.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2016 4:21 PM

Feb 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
romagia said:
Sorry, I forgot that outside of Canada they actually do show anime for free. There still are a lot of restrictions on free viewing, though. The ads are necessary, but free viewers are also only allowed watching in SD.
whaaaa `-` i never knew about the canada thing

so you can't watch anything from MAL's "Watch" selection?
Jul 3, 2016 4:23 PM

Aug 2014
zal said:
This also means that people all around the world are gaining 5.7 to 22 millions of dollars every year, more money for anime fans. So we should increase the amount of money gained by anime fans so that they have more money to buy anime related products. So from now on everyone that wants to support the industry should illegally stream anime in order to have more money to support the industry.

That's kinda backwards logic in a way because you are assuming that people will actually spend their money on anime.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jul 3, 2016 4:24 PM

Oct 2014
romagia said:
zombie_pegasus said:
whaaaa `-` i never knew about the canada thing

so you can't watch anything from MAL's "Watch" selection?
I can watch currently airing anime a week after they air up to 3 months after the anime finishes airing. Even if an anime episode doesn't show the little crown it will typically still say "Sorry, only Premium Members may watch this!". Apparently it's because our dollar is shit.
Jul 3, 2016 4:27 PM

Nov 2008
The anime industry itself is to blame not illegal streaming. Being an animator is a dead end job in Japan unlike the US where you make a decent living and you get rest, you don't get rest in the Japanese animation industry and people get sick and even die as a result. This leads good talent to choose other ventures instead. They don't market well outside of Japan when it comes to merchandise or offer a lot. While a lot of anime comes here, save for anime for very specific audiences (businessperson geared anime, primetime mahou shoujo, and any non-Macross idol anime that isn't aired late at night in Japan).

Jul 3, 2016 4:30 PM

Oct 2015
Will pay them back once i get rich :3 dont worry :p

~This world is a cruel place~
Jul 3, 2016 4:34 PM

Jul 2015
Just fucking die .......
who care =D
Jul 3, 2016 4:36 PM

May 2016
Spoilers: I didn't check the links...

And why the hell does Japan need the westerns to keep anime business going anyway? I'm pretty sure cartoons and other medias can survive and be healthy with just their main audience support...Why can't anime and Japan be the same then? Why do we have make a negative difference? Perharps the Japanese TV or government should give the anime industry more monetary support and also the way the anime industry handles itself and its market should change too, so it can survive with its main audience alone without giving a damn to us westerns...
HyperLJul 3, 2016 4:42 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jul 3, 2016 8:02 PM

Jun 2015
Well I buy bds and dvds from Japan and search the net for the subs if I really want to support the show (last did it for Grimgar) so f off.
Jul 3, 2016 8:05 PM

Feb 2015
it's all out fault for not supporting the product.
moreover we watch anime for free on illegal site. i'm not suprised if something like that is happening on the anime industry.
and this is the reason why we aren't getting any second season.
ALL OF YOU!!! WATCH ANIME LEGELY RIGHT NOW!!!
YizelTroJul 3, 2016 8:12 PM
Jul 3, 2016 8:33 PM

Nov 2008
Tevens said:
it's all out fault for not supporting the product.
moreover we watch anime for free on illegal site. i'm not suprised if something like that is happening on the anime industry.
and this is the reason why we aren't getting any second season.
ALL OF YOU!!! WATCH ANIME LEGELY RIGHT NOW!!!

Not for Spring, if success were based off a merchandise business model instead of a BD/DVD business model, I'd have nearly every anime I liked this season having a second season.

Jul 3, 2016 8:34 PM

Nov 2015
Maybe if studios stop focusing on regurgitating out as many half assed re-hashed content per season and focused on quality instead they might actually stop losing money..
Jul 3, 2016 8:39 PM

Sep 2014
Oh well, time to play video games now. I have a pretty huge backlog that could take me a long time to complete. I can wait until the anime industry recovers from their financial situation.
Jul 3, 2016 8:41 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
he did say that buying anime and merchandise helps the industry a lot.... well i do that all the time... so yea :D

but hey, sometimes you gotta download your anime.... you know...

for research purposes ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 3, 2016 8:42 PM

Jan 2009
the japanese anime industry should learn from illegal streaming sites like kissanime then seriously

what does illegal streaming sites do that make them successful and get up to 22 million US dollars profit per year?
- no geoblocking, no the video is not available for your country crap
- aggregate or centralize, so 1 site or place for majority of anime shows out there
- free but with ads, and provide premium service to remove those ads

the anime industry right now is losing potential customers here and not really actual customers, remove all illegal streaming sites and their profit will not increase significantly anyway, since majority of those who pirate like me have no money to begin with
Jul 3, 2016 8:45 PM
Jul 2018
when the antipiracy fanbois on this site go hard, they go hard, but that's not gonna stop me from illegally streaming my animu.

also you have to realize that profit from external sources, i.e. licensors in NA / UK / EU / etc is minuscule and only a very tiny portion goes back to the japanese comparatively, and the animators on top of that are paid horridly to begin with, it's not like their salaries will be tripled, quadrupled or otherwise multiplied, because their wages are still garbage.

HyperL said:
Spoilers: I didn't check the links...

And why the hell does Japan need the westerns to keep anime business going anyway? I'm pretty sure cartoons and other medias can survive and be healthy with just their main audience support...Why can't anime and Japan be the same then? Why do we have make a negative difference? Perharps the Japanese TV or government should give the anime industry more monetary support and also the way the anime industry handles itself and its market should change too, so it can survive with its main audience alone without giving a damn to us westerns...

honestly, this about sums things up. the japanese care much more about domestic viewership and profit than they do the westerners watching their content overseas. that's why not many series are properly licensed over here. they do the same thing with their jpop industry, never give it to western digital sources and people still harp at foreigners for pirating jpop even though the cds are absurdly expensive. it's not our place to pay them, if anything those of us who do pay are just supporting the licensors and not the company directly. i am not up to paying the licensors either tbh, i am a lazy fuck who pirates everything, and i've gotten occasional backlash for it, but i could care less.
removed-userJul 3, 2016 8:49 PM
Jul 4, 2016 11:34 PM
Oct 2014
I didn't follow the links in the first post, but I'd be willing to bet that the numbers are based upon the common flawed assumption that 1 viewing = 1 lost sale, or at least 1 lost ad revenue.

This assumption isn't just flawed, it's absurd. People who illegally download or stream anime are overwhelmingly those who would have simply gone without if they had to pay for it. Take whatever number is presented and divide it by about ten thousand, and that's probably a lot closer to the actual lost revenue.

Now offset that with all the people who ended up going legit after being introduced to anime through piracy, not to mention the advertising these pirates give through word of mouth. Since as far as I know no one's ever done a study on this, I can't give actual numbers, but in my opinion, it's more likely that the pirates are actually helping the industry.

So instead of trying to guilt the pirates into legal streaming or buying, we should be praising them for their tireless work in helping to promote anime. Three cheers for the stinkin' pirates!
Jul 5, 2016 12:06 AM

Oct 2013
That's bullshit, you can't "lose" what you've never had in the first place
Jul 5, 2016 12:16 AM

Apr 2013
oh my god, who the hell cares???????
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Jul 5, 2016 12:26 AM

Mar 2012
Look, pretty much every anime fan has pirated anime. Everyone has varying levels of income but people need to get out of this complete sense of entitlement mentality and at least provide some support for the industry. If you have a certain studio you like, show, mangaka, then buy that work. At least you know that you are helping shows you like continue.

You are on a computer and using the internet. You can spare a few dollars once in a while.
Jul 5, 2016 12:27 AM

Oct 2014
I "illegally steam" plenty of things but I also have several streaming subscriptions and buy physical copies of the things i like if they're available. Loss from piracy is impossible to quantify because the fact is people who get a thing for free wouldn't necessarily purchase or legally obtain it if given no alternative. Illegal streaming is a double edged sword since it allows for a much bigger audience and there by creates a bigger pool to sell merchandise to. On the other hand of course that does come with the possible loss of some fans who would have paid if they couldnt find the free option. Meanwhile some people will still just pay no matter what. That's the internet. Nothing anyone can really do about it
noGiAnimeJul 5, 2016 12:37 AM
Jul 5, 2016 12:33 AM

Dec 2012
Continue to torrent. Hahahahahaha!
Jul 5, 2016 12:35 AM

Jan 2015
Yesterday, OP kill himself
qwertyuiopasdg

la critique de l'intention pure
Jul 5, 2016 12:39 AM
Jul 2018
I wonder if anyone saw this thread and thought "oh shit, I need to stop illegally streaming". Yeah, no. Useless thread man. People who illegally stream are aware that they aren't giving money to Crunchyroll, Funination, or whatever.
Jul 5, 2016 12:44 AM
Jul 2018
romagia said:
zombie_pegasus said:

Legal streaming isn't available in every country. People from those countries have no option other than ilegal streaming.
Jul 5, 2016 1:06 AM
Aug 2015
the day they start streaming good anime
is when i'll start using illegal site

Diuturnus said:
oh my god, who the hell cares???????

here you forgot this in your post

http://e.lvme.me/1eovxgh.jpg
Jul 5, 2016 1:07 AM

Sep 2009
I wasn't aware that anime was made for not-Japan. Smells like bs to me.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jul 5, 2016 1:12 AM

Apr 2015
Yes. Support your fellow gook slaveworker for your latest cartoons.

What really needs to happen is a reform and destruction of the industry so it can rise up again and pay it's workers a proper fucking salary to live off of.
Jul 5, 2016 1:21 AM
Mar 2016
Fucking don't care. Kissanime for the win!
Jul 5, 2016 1:22 AM

Sep 2009
Why won't the movie industry hurry up and die? I pirate a tons of them all the time, and they still won't go out of business. Tired of all the garbage movies nowadays.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jul 5, 2016 1:24 AM

Dec 2015
But...but....but...but...but...but I watch some Moe shit and SoL is one of my favourite Genre!!!! ('o') OHMYGOD, WHY? it'd be good if there was a Free Legal Streaming Website. I know what I'm asking for is a complete bullshit.
Thanks for the video! Now, I understand why Akatsuki no Yona never got another season. ;-;
Eh, they said they don't care about AnimeFans outside Japan? Awww.
Jul 5, 2016 1:34 AM
Jul 2018
That kind of makes me sad. Sure, the industry is slowly dying, as shown by the increasing amount of Plot anime and just pure garbage. I may sound like a no-life weird otaku (I am btw) but my life wouldn't be the same without anime.
Jul 5, 2016 2:09 AM
Jul 2018
I live in Greece and most of the legal streaming services are not available here. Crunchyroll is available but almost everything I want to watch is not available for my country either. I try to buy manga and merch whenever I can though.
Jul 5, 2016 2:09 AM

Jan 2008
Oh yeah... it's dying allright... with over 100 series per year... sure looks like death around here. Look, the only ones that truly matter are the people who buy the releases and merch from JAPAN. That's what decides a 2nd season, not people watching on CR. Sure... there are a few exceptions, but they are just that: exceptions. I don't give a crap if the whole R1 industry goes up in smoke as long as CR is still alive for me to watch the rips. No, I won't wacth free CR because it has ads and I don't want to wait a week. I'm getting it now and for free, that's how I've always done it.
Jul 5, 2016 2:50 AM

Sep 2012
I could be slowly killing all life on earth with my toxic shits but I don't care about that either.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jul 5, 2016 2:53 AM

Apr 2013
I don't understand where this obsession with illegal streaming ruining the anime industry comes from. Sure,more money for the industry would be nice, but hasn't the industry survived on japanese BD,manga and merch sales for decades now? Like how does some filthy gaijin streaming affect sales IN Japan. The industry COULD make extra money of off western fans if they would offer us a proper legal streaming service,but there shouldn't be any loss, since I don't remember overseas sales being a huge part of anime profit.
Jul 5, 2016 2:57 AM
Aug 2015
I've read this a while ago, and not sure if it's completely true, but don't Japanese studios get almost no profit from the West?
Jul 5, 2016 3:00 AM

Jan 2016
I honestly was considering buying into Crunchy Roll but the issue is that these premium streaming services are so fucking disappointing. Kissanime has far more anime than Crunchy Roll has and that's part of the reason why I don't want to buy into Crunchy roll. Once there is a service similar to Kissanime that's legal I will gladly pay for it.

Jul 5, 2016 3:05 AM

Apr 2016
Right now i'm killing many industries (game, music, porn...), Hoist the colours lads !

Jul 5, 2016 3:18 AM

Jun 2016
Well, I don't have a guilty conscious for I've more then paid my dues to the anime industry :P It isn't even enough to acquire DVDs, I got my hands on figures, art books, wallart, and attire as well.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Hentai Tags ( 1 2 )

HentaixxHunter - May 16, 2022

97 by Nurguburu »»
2 minutes ago

» What are your thought on Ecchi anime?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

30 by Archean-Return »»
5 minutes ago

» What does the Anime you watch say about you

ST63LTH - Apr 29

28 by zombie_pegasus »»
21 minutes ago

» Digitalization of the modern world and anime

RobertBobert - 11 hours ago

31 by Adnash »»
36 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 )

707supremacist - Yesterday

86 by SilentVinyl »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.