Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jun 23, 2016 1:13 PM

Jan 2014
GenesisAria said:
That's all fine and good until you realize the one and only difference between reality and hallucination is that multiple people witness the same hallucination... It's the quantum conundrum.
......................Now i am convinced you are simply trollin around ;_;
Jun 23, 2016 3:31 PM

Dec 2009
LoneWizard said:
GenesisAria said:
That's all fine and good until you realize the one and only difference between reality and hallucination is that multiple people witness the same hallucination... It's the quantum conundrum.
Why would i waste energy telling people on the net, that i dunno, nonsense that would benefit no one, least of all myself?
GenesisAriaJun 23, 2016 4:01 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jun 23, 2016 6:59 PM

Jan 2013
Wow, cannot believe some people in this thread thought this ending was good. They must be watching a different anime or something as there's no way this is good in any aspect unless for sadists (or delusional) 'cuz Machi is a broken girl. It doesn't help Natsu is encouraging Machi to no longer think about difficult things while she regresses mentally. He doesn't have to worry about supporting her dream in going to high school in another city, gets what he's been wanting since episode 1, guess the anime writer/director wanted to show how demonic they are through Natsu. And Yoshio relegated to being a human demon that needs more then a rock thrown at him. Those closing scenes are cringe worthy seeing Machi like that. It's all for the village though! Cue happy music...

It's kinda making mockery of those with such complexes. Even the author said something against this ending.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-06-23/kumamiko-creator-remarks-on-cruel-comment-in-final-episode-script/.103547

Anime original ending, doing it's best to disappoint since forever. Bad end successful.
Positive thing I see is people may want to check the manga and wash themselves of the filth that is episode 11 and 12.
radleJun 23, 2016 7:56 PM
Jun 23, 2016 8:10 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Just finished it, and holy shit now i get why people are mad.
that ending was cancerous af.
Man this anime went fucking downhill for the second half
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jun 23, 2016 11:28 PM
Aug 2014
That was the most existentially terrifying ending I've ever seen. What the hell? It's like Machi's mind was just completely broken, and so she'll live out the rest of her days in the village. This show was basically all about tearing her down from being the curious, ambitious girl she was at the beginning to... the shell of a human being that she was by the end. Which makes me sad, because I really liked this show up until the ending. Yes everything with Machi's illness was horribly awkward, but there was enough comedy to make it enjoyable to watch every week, and you could still hold out hope that maybe it would click... maybe she'd get better (because that's how TV typically does things). But that ending... whew... not only did it come completely out of left field but, like I said, it was just horrifying. And sadly, that's gotta color my memories of the show as a whole. :-\
Jun 24, 2016 12:16 AM

Dec 2009
radle said:
It's kinda making mockery of those with such complexes. Even the author said something against this ending.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-06-23/kumamiko-creator-remarks-on-cruel-comment-in-final-episode-script/.103547

DannySun24 said:
That was the most existentially terrifying ending I've ever seen. What the hell? It's like Machi's mind was just completely broken, and so she'll live out the rest of her days in the village. This show was basically all about tearing her down from being the curious, ambitious girl she was at the beginning to... the shell of a human being that she was by the end.

She wasn't very curious or ambitious. She had a delusional rose-coloured pipe-dream of what city life would have been, and wanted a taste of the high life... it woulda hurt her way more in the future and ruined her purity. Sure she would have accomplished a few things, but for what? Again everyone freaking out about something that wasn't nearly as bad as everyone's over-dramatic impression of it.

City life today in japan is why there are so many suicides, the stress is unholy. It's like someone having an ideal to go live in the middle east with all the neat markets and history, without cluing into the fact that it's a desert jampacked with conflicts and hardships. There's nothing extensively morally wrong with the ending, it was a bit of a troll as we're back to square one. But really, it's better to be scared of the dangers than to charge blindly into them.

You're all reading way too much into one particular detail and freaking out that she's now scarred and broken and became like a 4 year old etc etc. She was delusional from the beginning LOL! ...And she was/is NOT ill. She got up, was pushed into trying something, tried it, realized it was not for her, came back appreciating her old lifestyle as she should have from the beginning. That's what it's about. She could have chose not to try, and there wouldn't have been any climax to the story. It wasn't bad, just could have been better.(and Yoshio less of an asshat)

PS: the links to complaints about the episode go on about Yoshio's unreasonable rant, not that Machi saw the rock throwing and Natsu told her not to worry about difficult things.
PPS: In japan there's always all that kind of drama with production crews, anything less that perfect and it becomes drama and gossip like hollywood, except the japanese are a lot more passionate, so you get a lot of overreactions, sometimes to the point of requiring formal apologies.

Wow, i've not found myself needing to defend against such ill-conceived recoil on a series... Calm the fk down people.
These reactions are totally uncalled for.

GenesisAria said:
LoneWizard said:
Why would i waste energy telling people on the net, that i dunno, nonsense that would benefit no one, least of all myself?
I also meant to say: oops maybe not best choice of response, oh well.
GenesisAriaJun 24, 2016 1:07 AM

Jun 24, 2016 2:41 AM

Mar 2015

Approved by Satan himself. 乁( ͠° ͜ʖ °)ㄏ

Jun 24, 2016 6:37 AM

Jan 2013
GenesisAria said:
PS: the links to complaints about the episode go on about Yoshio's unreasonable rant, not that Machi saw the rock throwing and Natsu told her not to worry about difficult things.
Exactly where in my post concerning the link had anything to do with my point? I'll clue you in as not only do you seem to lack awareness on the characters in the anime but seemingly reading skills at least for my post. The link provided had a sentence by me remarking that the author had something to say about the ending. That's it, nothing else thus it was in it's own sentence. What you concocted is all in your head to sate yourself.

GenesisAria said:
Wow, i've not found myself needing to defend against such ill-conceived recoil on a series... Calm the fk down people.
These reactions are totally uncalled for.
Yet you've taken it upon yourself to react to others reactions (like you did with mine) and others several times in thread 3. Time to get over yourself. As for anything else you've wrote nothing else is worth commenting about nor having a discussion as I already outlined either two (or probably both) you yourself most likely fit in.
Jun 24, 2016 8:23 AM
Sep 2013
It was all good until that ending and the delusions of having "rocks thrown" at Machi for being a "country bumpkin" isn't that "light-hearted" as what I would expect. This show's still okay to watch (as a guilty pleasure), but it is not as good as it was before.

This episode: 2.5/5
This series: 5/10
Jun 24, 2016 10:24 AM
Apr 2013
This episode feels realistic since people are more selfish than you think and experiencing hardships does not mean you can overcome them. I liked the ending but I hate the sudden change of characters and events and it feels out of place.
Jun 24, 2016 11:12 AM
Jul 2018
That ending surprised me. She just kinda gave up on her goal. The anime did have a lot of cute moments though.
Jun 24, 2016 12:07 PM

Dec 2009
radle said:
GenesisAria said:
Exactly where in my post concerning the link had anything to do with my point?
You're not the only one who linked that same article. I was responding to it in general. And jumping at me trying to talk me down isn't going to make you any better : /

Why do you assume i'm doing this to show myself up or something? I love anime, and it pains me to see people jump outta their seats like it's gone and killed jesus just because of a detail that appeared to fit the crowd's ignorant definition of a mental breakdown, even though that was not the intention. I'm just trying to maybe rescue a few readers from falling into the conceptual funnel and misinterpreting the series for the worse.

PS: you have to keep in mind mostly everyone watched the funimation subs. You can't tackle detailed wording connotations without knowing what the actual lines are.

It's not like this show was amazing, but seriously, there's nothing wrong with it. That's all i'm going to say at this point.
GenesisAriaJun 24, 2016 12:18 PM

Jun 24, 2016 6:29 PM
Mar 2015
Well since the final aired the score has dropped by over a point in only a few days.
Jun 24, 2016 9:47 PM
Jan 2014
So in the end Machi becomes a moe blob who stops thinking. I don't like the conclusion.
Jun 25, 2016 6:49 AM

Sep 2012
GenesisAria said:
BDecker said:
I don't know much about psychology, but I'm pretty sure that someone believing that their hallucinations/delusions are real counts as some kind of mental illness.

My biggest problem with the ending is that Machi outright hallucinates that the crowd is attacking her and continues to believe it afterwards. And it is this false belief that terrifies her into giving up her dream. Then Natsu takes advantage of her mentally broken state to convince her that she never has to think for herself ever again (which sounds like something an abuser would say) which leads to her regressing.

I would have been fine with the ending if the reason Machi gave up her dream was based on reality instead of a delusion. If she completed her performance without hallucinating but realized that she still had a long way to go and decided to continue living in the village that would be one thing. But for her to give up her dream because she falsely remembers a hallucination as reality is a terrible ending.

Yeah, so if one is living alone in their mom's basement, everything they witness is a hallucination because there's no one else there.
Jun 25, 2016 8:39 AM

Nov 2015
so... how's the situation now everyone?
Jun 25, 2016 11:15 AM

Dec 2009
Fenryr19 said:
GenesisAria said:

Yeah, so if one is living alone in their mom's basement, everything they witness is a hallucination because there's no one else there.
Nono, it's the Matrix problem. An old issue in quantum physics where it cannot be self-reconciled explaining entanglement, tunneling, uncertainty principle, unless matter is considered something projected by energy, a hologram. And then people started thinking about perception on top of that, collective dream etc.

Jun 25, 2016 11:37 AM

Jun 2014
Damn, Machi has hella crippling anxiety, more mass paranoia than just nervousness.

She really needs to consider medication if she's having hallucinations lmao
Jun 25, 2016 9:02 PM

Jun 2013
The ending is fucked up. She may have won the stupid idol contest but she isn't making any progress with her severe social anxiety.

She is and will forever be a country bumpkin.
臭い-
Jun 27, 2016 2:11 AM

Mar 2015
Thank goodness this is over. Cute at times but awkward, borderline-pedo and pitiful for the majority of it.

A weak 3/10 'cause, like my rating for Hundred, I commend the team behind this anime for bothering to show up at work to get this completed.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jun 27, 2016 2:44 AM

Apr 2011
Dafuq is with that ending?

It was like she was downgraded into a little child that will be sheltered by a bear for ever.
Jun 27, 2016 5:13 AM

Nov 2008
i'm only up to episode 4 but it seems though that she is a Miko that she can hear the gods? if i remember correctly miko can't just decide to leave the village and start life in the city right? correct me if im wrong

if it's school days ending bad...i don't think i want to watch it lol
Jun 27, 2016 2:20 PM

Oct 2009
It seemed at the end she became a very young child who needs others to think for them. Very disturbing town.
Jun 27, 2016 4:36 PM

Sep 2013
Well that was a depressingly bad ending. Machi's worse off than at the start of the series, Natsu undone the development he did at the start of the episode and Yoshio is still the worse, he literally said he's using Machi as a sacrifice (for a good cause, which makes him good, we swear!).

I figured early on that this series wouldn't go as I expected, I actually thought Machi would go to a school in the city and we'd deal with the problems then, but I didn't think this comedy would be so sad. With so many great SOL comedies this season I doubt I'd ever recommend this to someone.
Jun 28, 2016 12:45 AM

Sep 2013
I really really enjoyed the ride with Kuma Miko, several episodes are my favorite, but ones with Machi being bullied is kinda funny at first but later on especially at the ending, it gets a bit worst not to mention the empty feeling when the conclusion is quite.... empty. Somehow I really feel empty after the last episode, now I kind of hope I didn't watch the last two episode, it made me remember bad memories.
Jun 28, 2016 2:50 AM

Nov 2013
Well, you could say that she now lives happy, worryless life. Certainly an interesting way to end a series, and I don't mean it in a bad way.
You all need to watch Nami.

Jun 28, 2016 2:41 PM

May 2008
Sorry to say but I don't think Machi ever matured at all throughout the series. In the end, she still never got out of her comfort zone, which was quite disappointing.
Jun 30, 2016 6:09 AM
Jan 2016
hellogarry said:
Dafuq is with that ending?

It was like she was downgraded into a little child that will be sheltered by a bear for ever.

or at least until the town dies which should happen pretty quick since 3/4 of the residents looked to be 70+ years old.
Jul 1, 2016 3:51 PM

Apr 2015
Well... Kinda meh that it turned out like this...

Didn't like the ending.

5/10 overall
Jul 2, 2016 3:04 PM

Dec 2012
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1525185
This topic really made me think about this anime. The ending is more easier to understand if you think like that. Especially the end of the anime, where Miko can't think at all.
I like the fact that a dark stuff like that is hidden in the anime, it allows you to see some scenes from a different point of view. Good anime, the author made a great job to show the "curse".

But I still want to hit Natsu
SakaitsuNov 24, 2016 12:34 AM
Jul 2, 2016 4:02 PM

Feb 2013
I liked this show a lot. I thought it was very cute.

8/10
Jul 3, 2016 12:04 PM
Apr 2014
Ok this end was... weird? Machi decides to go on stage and then still believes people throw rocks at her without even so much as looking for their actual reaction.

And the end... Did she become even more stupid because of that idol event? The anime really could have done without those last two episodes. The whole idol thing was just weird and mostly annoying. We get it already. Machi has social anxiety. But at least let her develop a little bit instead of repeating the same joke over and over. If it just ends in her running away again then they could have skipped the step of her going on stage.

Really have to rethink my given score now. Didn't think two episodes could change that much -.- Everything before that was really enjoyable (with exception of one or two scenes maybe)

radle said:

Anime original ending, doing it's best to disappoint since forever. Bad end successful.
Positive thing I see is people may want to check the manga and wash themselves of the filth that is episode 11 and 12.

Are you serious? This is another anime original? GODDAMNIT... I was wondering how something this bad could keep a publisher happy but that explains a lot. You might be right with that last sentence. Definitely gonna put it on my plan to read now...
NanashiJul 3, 2016 12:09 PM
Jul 3, 2016 5:43 PM

Mar 2016
I really hated the ending. "Oh you don't have to do anything in life, just order everything you need from this device" What. The. Hell. I absolutely loved it until this last episode.
Jul 6, 2016 7:15 AM

Jan 2013
Nanashi said:
Are you serious? This is another anime original? GODDAMNIT... I was wondering how something this bad could keep a publisher happy but that explains a lot. You might be right with that last sentence. Definitely gonna put it on my plan to read now...

It is true.

Also this off the official twitter of Kuma Miko
Official_Twitter_of_Kuma_Miko said:
TOKYO MXで「くまみこ」第拾弐話をご覧頂いた皆様、くまみこファンの皆様、長きに渡るご声援ありがとうございました!まちとナツによるイチャイチャ…ではなく、「モフモフカントリーライフ」は永遠です!

https://twitter.com/kmmk_anime/status/744560880185073664

doesn't help either.
Jul 6, 2016 9:13 PM

Jul 2015
- 2nd best opening of the season after Kiznaiver's.
- Best ending of the season.
- Machi's VA was outstanding, my fav along with Makoto from Flying Witch.
- If I ever have a daughter I'll probably name her Machi xp

The truth is the city is an EVIL place so imo there's no problem on Machi giving up on going to study there... Going to the city is not something that would make you accomplish anything, city people is not better than other people, in fact most people is just damn egotistical and superficial (I'm a city person since birth) and Machi was just a bit curious on that matter, not big deal. She didn't lost any of her worth as a human beign... Despite this, Yoshio was a F-word prick. Hope he dies.

PTW Manga.
Apollo_MadaoJul 6, 2016 9:27 PM
I'll fade away and classify myself as obsolete!
Obsolete!!
Jul 7, 2016 10:19 PM

Feb 2014
Yay Machi participated in the end, but still thought that everyone was throwing rocks at her. No city high school for Machi in the end. Oh well!

Overall, some of the scenes were pretty good, and some of them were only okay. I felt really bad for Machi with her social anxiety and it really wasn't cute at all...I really liked the OP, it was probably my favorite part of the show. 6-7/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2016 11:38 PM

Nov 2014
GenesisAria said:
Fenryr19 said:

Nono, it's the Matrix problem. An old issue in quantum physics where it cannot be self-reconciled explaining entanglement, tunneling, uncertainty principle, unless matter is considered something projected by energy, a hologram. And then people started thinking about perception on top of that, collective dream etc.
So do you actually know what Quantum Physics is or...?
Because that's not how it works. In fact, you're less dabbling into Quantum Physics and more of Philosophical views.
Also, the "methods" you're talking about is less Quantum Physics and more of String Theory, and that it's just Schrodinger's Cat in another viewpoint.

Jul 8, 2016 1:18 AM

Dec 2009
AzureDaora said:
GenesisAria said:
Because that's not how it works. In fact, you're less dabbling into Quantum Physics and more of Philosophical views.
Also, the "methods" you're talking about is less Quantum Physics and more of String Theory, and that it's just Schrodinger's Cat in another viewpoint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEaecUuEqfc
Ignore the title, but that's the best explanation of the misconception of uncertainty and that the most likely explanation is that particles are "holographic" constructs made by field physics. It's a quantum physics problem because it's at the base of what makes quantum physics what it is. Just because acadamia is doing it, doesn't mean it's correct. Science is inherently driven by philosophy, it's the philosophical questions that lead to experimentation and so on. So to answer, yes i study this stuff a lot. You're more than welcome to pm me for more detailed discussions.

It was just meant to be an underhanded comment lol. Not really all that relevant to Kuma Miko. I was simply making the point that "hallucination" is not a justification for saying it's invalid; it's plenty real to the one experiencing it.

ps: string theory is complete garbage - it's pure conjecture.
GenesisAriaJul 8, 2016 1:24 AM

Jul 8, 2016 1:31 AM

Nov 2014
GenesisAria said:
AzureDaora said:
Ignore the title, but that's the best explanation of the misconception of uncertainty and that the most likely explanation is that particles are "holographic" constructs made by field physics. It's a quantum physics problem because it's at the base of what makes quantum physics what it is. Just because acadamia is doing it, doesn't mean it's correct. So to answer, yes i study this stuff a lot.

It was just meant to be an underhanded comment lol. Not really all that relevant to Kuma Miko. I was simply making the point that "hallucination" is not a justification for saying it's invalid; it's plenty real to the one experiencing it.

>.>
I'm not going to watch an entire 1 hour video that supposedly "debunks" string and Quantum Physics just to argue.
Are you serious? Summarize it, please.

The conception of "holographic constructs" is reality and particles are just guesses, at best. What evidence does he put up in order to prove that it is? Does it use the Scientific Method, or is he just pulling out of his ass?
What is "holographic constructs"? What differentiates them from "real" constructs?
Nobody said that just because Quantum and String theory are done by the scientific community, it's correct. It's currently still undergoing development.
It's not even considered as "true".
Science is meant to be questioned.

Also, one comment stated that he used macro examples for Quantum Physics. That's completely retarded since Quantum Physics works on a different plane than macro concepts an objects.

String Theory is as much of a "conjecture" as any other modern theory. Do you know what a scientific theory implies?
A "conjecture" is too much of a vague term, a buzzword if you will, to describe something as complex as string and M theory.
And it's definitely not pure conjecture.

Jul 8, 2016 1:40 AM

Dec 2009
AzureDaora said:
GenesisAria said:
Ignore the title, but that's the best explanation of the misconception of uncertainty and that the most likely explanation is that particles are "holographic" constructs made by field physics. It's a quantum physics problem because it's at the base of what makes quantum physics what it is. Just because acadamia is doing it, doesn't mean it's correct. So to answer, yes i study this stuff a lot.

>.>
I'm not going to watch an entire 1 hour video that supposedly "debunks" string and Quantum Physics just to argue.
Are you serious? Summarize it, please.

The conception of "holographic constructs" is reality and particles are just guesses, at best. What evidence does he put up in order to prove that it is? Does it use the Scientific Method, or is he just pulling out of his ass?
What is "holographic constructs"? What differentiates them from "real" constructs?
Nobody said that just because Quantum and String theory are done by the scientific community, it's correct. It's currently still undergoing development.
It's not even considered as "true".
Science is meant to be questioned.

Also, one comment stated that he used macro examples for Quantum Physics. That's completely retarded since Quantum Physics works on a different plane than macro concepts an objects.

String Theory is as much of a "conjecture" as any other modern theory. Do you know what a scientific theory implies?
A "conjecture" is too much of a vague term, a buzzword if you will, to describe something as complex as string and M theory.
And it's definitely not pure conjecture.
Yes i'm serious, there's no way to adequately summarize it, because the video is already very much abbreviated. Stuff like that needs to take time to properly demonstrate and explain convincingly. i go through hours of reading and video demonstrations and presentations of new stuff practically daily. If you aren't gonna look into the information i provided, then that's your loss, i'll go back to science.

It's not a debunk (hence why i said ignore the title), it's a fundamental misconception that got jumped over and forgotten and lead a lot of people on a wild tangent of reification (the dominant fallacy in modern physics btw). String is nonsense cooked up by a speculative idea that there might be vibrating strings making up everything, constructed as a virtual reality, but it's completely disregarding magneto-dielectric field geometry and wave propagation in real reality, just like most fields of study in modern physics. Please take it to PM if you want to continue.
GenesisAriaJul 8, 2016 1:49 AM

Jul 8, 2016 2:01 AM

Nov 2014
@GenesisAria
Oh, this is going to be "fun". I haven't talked physics for a while;I may be a bit rusty.

I said to summarize it, not to analyze it. Even the more complex ideas of String Theory can be understood in the most basic sense in a few paragraphs.
I'd imagine a lecture from a guy that doesn't even have a background in Quantum Physics wouldn't be too hard. The fact that people are disproving his claims in the comments section just makes me want to watch it less.

"pfft nah, I ain't going to explain shit. Just watch this long ass video that someone else made, that's my argument! :D"
Not even explaining thoughts and ideas properly while arguing, instead completely blaming the opponent ("It's your fault you don't know it!" argument) points to something else.
That could be considered Argumentum ad Verbosium.

Because, if you didn't know, String and Quantum work on A DIFFERENT PLANE. "Reality" works differently on such a small scale. Laws of Physics fluctuate, and different, inexplicable things happen.
This is why the phrase "If you think you understand Quantum Physics, you don't understand Quantum Physics" was coined.

>what is the Large Hadron Collider

To think that someone actually thinks that is something else.
What is this "Virtual Reality" do you speak of? Are you insinuating that strings and quantum mechanics are simply "virtual" in nature?
What?
Oh, this is my last reply here, I can't PM since I'm on mobile :>
but I will reply on PM later, if you consider to continue.

Jul 9, 2016 6:37 PM

Jul 2014
The crowd loved her, yet her distorted perception of people got the best of her. She decided to throw all of her ambitions away, for the sake of comfort. Behind the thin, transparent veil called comedy, we just witnessed a girl's mental decadence, and retreat back into isolation, discarding all hopes and thoughts of self-improvement.

"You don't have to think about it anymore"

This by far the most tragic ending I have seen in a long time, and it's completely backwards in essence. It was so opposite to what people had hoped for, petulant babies calling themselves "fans" bullied the staff into apologizing. However, that doesn't make this a bad ending at all. Hell, given the context of the entire show, this is consistent with the tone of the show, and with all the other events. Sure, it takes a very cruel mind to find merit in this ending, but I think it says a very clear message.

This ending reveals the underlying tragedy that has been evident since the beginning of Kuma Miko. Throughout the entire show, Machi was forced into situations that would eat away at her consciousness, distort her vision of public life, and ultimately result in a psychological regression, with her fears eventually culminating to her breakdown at Sendai. With appropriate care and consideration from her peers, perhaps this wouldn't have happened, but that isn't the case here in this anime. Instead, we have a talking bear and an overly enthusiastic shill of a cousin that concocted a series of events that would cause any bit of Machi's confidence to erode, simply for the sake of promoting their desolate, boring village.

And that's what this show is all fucking about: The difficulty of leaving one's comfort zone, people around you that can potentially intensify such difficulties (Yoshio), and most importantly, those who, behind their amiable facade, don't want you going anywhere (Natsu). AND WE KNOW FOR A FACT Natsu falls under that third category, because he delivered a speech in which he enunciated his true feelings regarding Machi's desire to live a city life, wanting her to give up, because Kumade Village has everything she wants, and everything she will want (Episode 7).

It's a BAD END for dear Machi, but there's a beauty in a bad end. Instead of some conventional resolution where the main characters slap the dust off their hands, gazing at the cloudless, azure blue sky, shouting "YATTA, our job is done", bad endings such as this one want to make a point. Fiction doesn't have to cater to the consumers expectations and assumptions about reality. It can be used to exhibit a vice that could lie dormant within any human- or bear, perchance.

Not everyone that's crippled by the terrible condition of social anxiety (or some other mental condition, because it seems that Machi is a whole new case now) reaches the end of the tunnel. Some try, but get pulled right back into the void whence they came. We see this in our world right now with hikikomori.

Even beyond the real world, did we ever criticize Shakespeare because he wrote Romeo and Juliet to be characters whose naivete drove them to kill themselves? Or do we consider the play a tale we feel obligated to teach our young? This might be a stretch, but I vouch that the scriptwriter for this anime shouldn't be criticized for doing what he did. He ran out of material, and acted accordingly to stress the underlying theme of this whole fucking story.

If anything, the reason why this anime wasn't that great was because it simply wasn't funny at times, especially with these last couple episodes.

6/10. TL;DR, This ending was the best course of action, because anything else would have belied the whole point of the show.
KatoBytesJul 15, 2016 8:39 AM
Why do people have such bad taste? Anime isn't subjective anymore.
Jul 10, 2016 6:48 PM

Jan 2014
This ending was horrible. All that character development down the drain... This is bullshit.
Jul 10, 2016 6:54 PM

Dec 2009
Caught up on the show only to see it go down hill. What a fucking terrible ending to a series I enjoyed so much. Now I gotta go pick up the manga to see an ending without Machi mentally destroyed.
Jul 17, 2016 5:41 AM

Apr 2011
The first half was cute and funny, but later half became hard and cringy to watch because of Machi's panic or anxiety attacks. It when downhill from there. Yoshio is an asshole. And Natsu was worthless. Machi's panic attacks are too serious to make it comedy. After finally finishing this episode, I'm forgetting this series right away.
Jul 28, 2016 9:29 PM

May 2012
Fun ending in general! Quite liked the overall atmosphere but with the slowish pacing and rather generic development it wasn't the best anime of course but I did still enjoy it.
Jul 29, 2016 11:40 AM

May 2013
What a disappointing ending to an otherwise enjoyable show. Even aside from the fact its message is naiive (at best) it was just a mess in terms of direction and communication with the viewer. I think it's one of the only shows I've seen where the development of characters is far more astutely described as regression - Machi into a basket case and Natsu into a delusional clingy helicopter mother/bear.
Jul 31, 2016 3:41 AM

Feb 2012
I guess I'm not the only one disturbed by the ending...
Jul 31, 2016 12:06 PM
Mar 2016
I think I would have been much more satisfied with the last episode if Natsu had a little more complexity. He was very conflicted earlier, before he learned what happened to Machi. That apparently completely resolved itself without any direct explanation. We could read it as his shock at what happened and his relief that Machi was alright were able to suppress the one side of his divided feelings. But that's still somewhat strained and uncompelling given how forcefully he tried to push Machi in the last scene to avoid worrying about things that are beyond her. As it is I'm not sure whether to give this series a very high score or a very low score.
Aug 1, 2016 6:27 PM
Oct 2012
DatRandomDude said:
Just finished it, and holy shit now i get why people are mad.
that ending was cancerous af.
Man this anime went fucking downhill for the second half

Totally agree the ending undid all of Machi's hardwork. She tried her best in the partime job, went to buy heatech for Natsu and Village Vanguard which she couldn't complete. Imo Natsu should have realized that Machi is giving up on her real dream of going to a city high school and encourage her for once to not give up. The show kinda made Natsu seem petty because he cared more about himself than Machi's true feelings.

The show was actually good until it became Girl meets Anxiety Disorders as one MAL user put it. Also had some very disturbing scenes with Yoshio/Machi and the story of priestess doing the bears. I thought it would be a super relaxing show and she would get little obstacles that would make her more social and ready for the city. I guess the show wasn't really about Machi going to the city but Yoshio revitalizing the village. Kinda sucks. I would give it a 5-6 despite all these problems it had some aww moments and fun parts. Lots of potential was squandered. I like the use of folklore music, the art was good especially when they did the water painting backgrounds but they didn't use it for many scenes. Hopefully there is a season 2 that resolves her social anxiety.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2016

72 by Forum »»
Feb 29, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2016

55 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 26, 2022 10:43 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2016

63 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 24, 2022 11:07 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

92 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 16, 2022 11:59 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2016

74 by Gendolfas »»
Dec 11, 2019 9:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.