Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 24, 2016 1:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was fun. We got to see a diverse range of abilities this episode because of the exams. Deku's initial performance disappoints me as he made himself look like an idiot.

However, I think the episode showed his courage as well and that was impressive. Props to Bones for animating some of the more intense scenes. All Might with a suit also looks nice~

Apr 24, 2016 1:26 AM

Jun 2014
Wow that looked so painful, it didn't look so bad in the manga. Poor Deku...

Another great episode.
:3
Apr 24, 2016 1:26 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
It’s time for the entrance exam. Seems like Midoriya can’t get himself some points. That smash though!!! Gotta clench that ketsu no ana! His arm and legs looked like rubber after that punch. That was one risky fall though. Luckily Uraraka saved him there. Not a single point for Midoriya. But he passed the exam since they also judge the students by their heroicness! He must be happy that there's Rescue points. Time for Midoriya to go to Yuuei! Another great episode and can’t for the next episode. Also, 1 and a half chapters adapted.

5/5
GoldenDevilGamerApr 24, 2016 1:36 AM
Apr 24, 2016 1:29 AM

Jan 2015
Hero Academy 101-Save the damsel in distress.

Hero Academy 201-Damsel saves your distress.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Apr 24, 2016 1:32 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Thought they were going to end on chapter 5 but that's okay

Great episode yet again this week....Can't wait to see the reactions to Deku's ability with OFA and especially for the next episode

Really liked that the Based Ida and Ochako scenes were handled very well too
TokoyaApr 24, 2016 1:36 AM
Apr 24, 2016 2:02 AM

Mar 2016
Recovery Girl's voice was so adorable ಥ‿ಥ
Apr 24, 2016 2:29 AM

Sep 2015
Ew his arm when he fell was disgusting xD
I can't wait to see other's abilities
Apr 24, 2016 2:45 AM

Jan 2015

It's okay to be nervous, Deku. You can do it.
So the "Test" and 0 Point Robot is also for observing Hero's "Merit". Seeing Deku's body after doing that super punch is somehow... creepy.
And everybody's try to make a second thought about Deku, this should be a good start.
And that final result... Damn it, can't even watch it without tears
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Apr 24, 2016 2:47 AM

Jan 2013
OMG cant wait to see this ep
Apr 24, 2016 2:52 AM

Dec 2012
Deku struggling to get any points. Cool to see quirks from the other students.
Uraraka's Zero Gravity & Iida's engine quirk.
Deku saving Uraraka with that amazing one punch "SMASH" against that robotic villain.
Poor Uraraka over-using her quirk & rainbow puking.
Ouch he broke a lot of his bones though. Good thing Recovery Girl was there. Lol that kiss to heal him.

Congrats Deku on passing & officially entering U.A. High School. Great to see Uraraka help him out.

Being a Hero is not just about defeating the villain, but saving lives as well.

Cannot wait to see the rest of the students in Deku's class & their teacher Aizawa.

Plus Ultra!
Santoryu_XBurnerApr 24, 2016 2:56 AM
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Apr 24, 2016 2:55 AM

Dec 2014
Amazing episode, Loved it through and through.

Deku's punch was animated even better than I thought.
One for All's animation was great as well and the punch was just epic.

The soundtrack fits so well with each scene, I can't help but praise it. Every scene is so much better cause of the stunning OST.
They even played All Might's tune through the All Might hologram XD

The final scene with Deku's admission into U.A was really emotional.
Go Deku! It's your Hero Academia! You deserved it :)

Surprisingly they showed the full scores(Rescue+Villain) for Midoriya,Ochako and the ones placed near them. If I remember correctly the full scores for everyone were only shown in the following chapters and not the ones adapted in this episode.

Can't wait for the next episode.
Lelouch0202Apr 24, 2016 3:11 AM
Apr 24, 2016 2:57 AM

Nov 2015
First half was so interesting, but Deku seemed like an idiot initially imo who didn't have slightest of idea what to do. But Deku was a hero at his nature always trying to rescue!
Second half was emotionally charged with All Might telling the true quality of a hero and the rescue points too!
Apr 24, 2016 2:59 AM
Jul 2018
that ending was tooooooooo emotional, i almost cried @_@
it gave me chills
this anime is amazing
Apr 24, 2016 3:00 AM

Jan 2015
Why do I cry at every fucking episode.

The feels are strong in this one.
Apr 24, 2016 3:06 AM

Jan 2012
So as expected we got the rest of Chapter 3 and 4 adapted this week. I'd say the pacing's set in stone at this point. I liked the way they depicted Izuku using One For All, the red line power-up was nice. And the way they depicted his limbs after he blew them out was appropriately gruesome. I definitely wasn't expecting Recovery Girl to sound like that though. XD Nice to get previews of other heroes like Endeavor and Best Jeanist.

Once again the ending got emotional. Loved All Might's speech about the nature of heroism. Whereas Izuku was selfless, others like Iida and a certain explosive ass? Not so much. XD Uraraka was though! Such a sweetie trying to give points! Plus breaking Deku's fall! Even her vomit was pretty! XD Congrats Deku, you're on your way! Also loved that post-credits scene with Deku's mom. The flashback almost paints her in a bad light, as unsupportive, but really she's a great mom, very sweet. :)

Looks like the vast majority of the rest of our main cast is getting introduced next week...can't wait! XD
animefan8800Apr 24, 2016 3:10 AM
Apr 24, 2016 3:07 AM

Jun 2014
Despite Deku's pitiful performance, it was great that he was still able to pass due to the rescue points. I found Ochako's willingness to share her points to be quite a nice gesture. Overall this was a solid episode, and I like the way One For All was animated. The repercussions of its use were pretty gruesome though. It looks like next week we'll finally be introduced to Aizawa and the rest of Deku's classmates.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 24, 2016 3:16 AM

Jun 2015
Bones does a really really good job. This Anime already got me deep.
Apr 24, 2016 3:17 AM

Jun 2014
Holy shit this anime is moving slow, but it makes the episodes that much more satisfying with how much effort is put into them. This might become the greatest anime adaptation ever.

5/5
Q: The world won't change, you must change yourself in this world. Now, how will you change yourself?

A: Become the god of the new world.
Apr 24, 2016 3:23 AM

May 2014
Perfect, man. Again.
Apr 24, 2016 3:32 AM

Jan 2015
Xenocrisi said:

yea me too. In episode 2 and this one especially. So much feels
Apr 24, 2016 4:07 AM

Jul 2011
That was so cliche. =__=

So why the hell am I sobby and grinning like an idiot?? XD

Great episode again. It's so lively and exciting every week!
Apr 24, 2016 4:11 AM

Jul 2015
Mirorin said:
That was so cliche. =__=

It's all about the execution... which this series does well at.
"Your guilt will be your past, and that will be your God."
Apr 24, 2016 4:14 AM

Dec 2014
They sure are taking it slow, but I don't mind. The punch was great, but didn't have as much of an impact as I expected it to. Otherwise, still a good episode.
Apr 24, 2016 4:14 AM

Dec 2015
Am I the only one who feels like 3 episodes isn't enough time to go from having zero power to destroying a gargantuan mecha in one punch?
And who the hell pays for these training grounds?
Do they have to rebuild all those massive skyscrapers before the next set of students take the test?
Apr 24, 2016 4:16 AM
Apr 2016
Bobby2Hands said:
Am I the only one who feels like 3 episodes isn't enough time to go from having zero power to destroying a gargantuan mecha in one punch?
Do they have to rebuild all those massive skyscrapers before the next set of students take the test?

I think izukus broken arm and legs should provide an answer for you XD
Apr 24, 2016 4:18 AM

Apr 2014
Bobby2Hands said:
Dude, it's anime, no one worries about costs...
Apr 24, 2016 4:18 AM

Apr 2014
Great episode, I expected a different way for him to get into the academia, but it still worked pretty well.
Apr 24, 2016 4:20 AM

Mar 2013
Mirorin said:
That was so cliche. =__=

My reaction in a nutshell :')

I can't believe the people who dislike it because it's cliche. I mean yeah it's cliche as fuck, but who cares? It's still one hell of a fun ride.
Apr 24, 2016 4:22 AM
Apr 2013
Sure is a bit slow paced in this episode...

Jul 2014
ahhh, another perfect adaption :') at this point it's so good that I don't even care if they don't animate best arc (festival arc), it'll still be a 10/10 from me.

Jul 2015
SalemWitch said:
Mirorin said:
That was so cliche. =__=

My reaction in a nutshell :')

I can't believe the people who dislike it because it's cliche. I mean yeah it's cliche as fuck, but who cares? It's still one hell of a fun ride.

Well it's a shonen battle manga. You get what you expect from that sorta show. I don't know why people were acting surprised when it had a generic plot.
Apr 24, 2016 4:27 AM

Jan 2013
YAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SMASH/10 adaptation
Apr 24, 2016 4:28 AM

Jul 2007
This continues to be by-the-book derivative shonen filled with cliches beyond even definition of cringe.

Literally not even single thing in the episode surprised me and most of the time it felt like I am watching early Nardo episodes...and thats not a good thing for a show that is supposedly second coming of jesus christ.

The MC is still unbearably whiny and annoying tryhard goodie two shoes with no redeeming qualities, the world is still poorly fleshed out and boringly black and white (superheroes and villains y'all!) and there's nothing to make this different from ten thousand shonen shows that already exist.

If this was in anyway good show, we could maybe deal with the idea of destruction that "superheroes" cause and how unrealistically taxing it is for the normal people and the world. We would get actual politics and social commentary about idea of superhero and how nothing is clearcut black and white and how foolish the idea itself is, but nope. Instead we have annoying whiny crybaby trying to git gud for four episodes already. There's nothng even resembling plot or meta-commentary or mystery. Cringe, cringe cringe.

So far this feels like I watched the same episode four times. And there's no real feel or hook that would make this feel like it's own thing. Its hard to drop the show halfway but if next episode does not do anything interesting, this is it for me.

This takes the superhero coat and puts it on generic shonen narrative. It would not be as insulting if shows like Tiger&Bunny, Concrete Revolutio or Samurai Flamenco did not exist, or if Bones was not doing conrevo's second season right now, but the fact at how by the book straightforward this is is just so annoying. Watching something as generic and boring as this just after pondering deep philosophical questions and meta narrative presented in Conrevo episode and just as you are waiting for show of the season, Re:Zero is the worst.

2/5 for the episode.
AhenshihaelApr 24, 2016 4:38 AM
Apr 24, 2016 4:29 AM

Jul 2015
Fai said:
So far this feels like I watched the same episode four times. And there's no real feel or hook that would make this feel like it's own thing. Its hard to drop the show halfway but if next episode does not do anything interesting, this is it for me.

2/5 for the episode.

I will save you the effort and tell you that the next episode wont hook you either if you haven't been hooked already. No need to watch the next episode, you can safely drop it.
Apr 24, 2016 4:30 AM

Feb 2013
He was the only true hero in that exam, everyone else was thinking about points but he was the only one who jumped in to save Uraraka.
Apr 24, 2016 4:31 AM

Oct 2014
Every episode of Boku no Hero Academia is playing with your feels. Can I, for once, get an episode where I don't feel like I want to cry with the main character?

But holy shit, I was shocked when he broke both of his legs and arm... I can't imagine how painful that must have been but I liked it when the girl slapped him to save him.
Apr 24, 2016 4:32 AM
Mar 2015
Decent episode. I feel like they ham up some scenes too much, like taking a decent chunk of time to tell him he passed in a really over the top format (great music though). Otherwise, really liked it, and introduced some more interesting characters as well.
Apr 24, 2016 4:33 AM
Feb 2013
Fai said:
This continues to be by-the-book derivative shonen filled with cliches beyond even definition of cringe.

Literally not even single thing in the episode surprised me and most of the time it felt like I am watching early Nardo episodes...and thats not a good thing for a show that is supposedly second coming of jesus christ.

The MC is still unbearably whiny and annoying tryhard goodie two shoes with no redeeming qualities, the world is still poorly fleshed out and boringly black and white (superheroes and villains y'all!) and there's nothing to make this different from ten thousand shonen shows that already exist.

If this was in anyway good show, we could maybe deal with the idea of destruction that "superheroes" cause and how unrealistically taxing it is for the normal people and the world. We would get actual politics and social commentary about idea of superhero and how nothing is clearcut black and white and how foolish the idea itself is, but nope. Instead we have annoying whiny crybaby trying to git gud for four episodes already.

Cringe, cringe cringe.

2/5 for the episode.

You say the same thing every week. Just drop it already
Apr 24, 2016 4:33 AM

Dec 2015
AbsoluteBloom said:
Fai said:

2/5 for the episode.

I will save you the effort and tell you that the next episode wont hook you either if you haven't been hooked already. No need to watch the next episode, you can safely drop it.

Leave that be. That person won't stop because he or she is a masochist. :^)

Great episode by the way. Feels everywhere.
Apr 24, 2016 4:34 AM

May 2012
Fai said:

2/5 for the episode.

I think I recall you saying you were going to drop it on ep 2 or 3 as well. It's sorta been established for a while now that BnHA is full of cliches, it's just a bit more well-executed than that rest, with lots more likable characters.

Welp, you should just drop it since you really, really seem to dislike it since you kinda keep repeating what you think of the anime each episode.

Apr 24, 2016 4:34 AM
Mar 2014
Both OP and ED are starting to grow on me.
Lmao that rainbow barf, Izuku and Ochako are so fucking cute and likeable i totallly ship them, Izukus's faces are always on point :D
Apr 24, 2016 4:38 AM

Apr 2011
The pace was slow but so good
Apr 24, 2016 4:40 AM

Jul 2007
Olem said:
Fai said:

2/5 for the episode.

I think I recall you saying you were going to drop it on ep 2 or 3 as well. It's sorta been established for a while now that BnHA is full of cliches, it's just a bit more well-executed than that rest, with lots more likable characters.

Welp, you should just drop it since you really, really seem to dislike it since you kinda keep repeating what you think of the anime each episode.

I could bear the cliches if:
- The execution was in anyway good or innovative(it is really really not - everything in this, be it cinematography or characterization is just so...anime and so by the book generic)
- if this had a protagonist I did not want to repeatedly punch in the face(and I thought I despised Nardo...).
- if this had any sort of interesting hook or mystery or "not as it seems" kind of deal beyond the generic "tryhard underdog" plot of MC.

Alas neither is the case.
Having cliches in story is okay. Having nothing going for a story except cliches is not. Especially with such an annoying protag.

This could have been made by A1 or Pierrot or TOEI, without having a great studio like Bones waste their creative minds and money on this.
AhenshihaelApr 24, 2016 4:43 AM
Apr 24, 2016 4:52 AM

May 2012
Fai said:

I could bear the cliches if:
- The execution was in anyway good or innovative(it is really really not - everything in this, be it cinematography or characterization is just so...anime and so by the book generic)
- if this had a protagonist I did not want to repeatedly punch in the face(and I thought I despised Nardo...).
- if this had any sort of interesting hook or mystery or "not as it seems" kind of deal beyond the generic "tryhard underdog" plot of MC.

Alas neither is the case.
Having cliches in story is okay. Having nothing going for a story except cliches is not. Especially with such an annoying protag.

This could have been made by A1 or Pierrot or TOEI, without having a great studio like Bones waste their creative minds and money on this.

Can't say I can say anything for your first two points since I feel that's a bit subjective, and you've been dead set on how you feel about it from the past few episodes, but for the third, this is more of a issue with the pacing(I have no problem with it myself). We've only adapted about 4 chapters with the ending of this episode, so we're still at the beginning of the story where it's world-building and introducing characters and what not. At the very least, I can say that the whole underdog things get brushed to the side after a certain arc, which it then focuses more on villains and the black and white of the hero organization. Can't say very much else without spoiling.
OlemApr 24, 2016 4:59 AM

Apr 24, 2016 4:59 AM

Oct 2015
Those injuries though... Made me cringe.

My Feels Academia is still here, son stop making me cry for you.

Still waiting for Tsuyu, love my frog girl
Apr 24, 2016 5:02 AM
Apr 2016
Wahhhh someone hyped a adaptation of a manga they like. Cry me a river. People have hyped up things I wind up not liking all the time. I just act like a normal adult and move on. I don't subject myself to something I don't like just to complain on message boards.
DudermanApr 24, 2016 5:06 AM
Apr 24, 2016 5:10 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Predictable and cliché, Deku crying like an idiot, but it's just so well executed that i can look over it.

8/10 until now, but there are other shows that are more interesting like this one. But the best execution goes to this one.
Apr 24, 2016 5:18 AM

Jan 2008
atngone said:
Xenocrisi said:

yea me too. In episode 2 and this one especially. So much feels

The feels and SMASH
Apr 24, 2016 5:24 AM

Mar 2014
That punch was so epic, the soundtrack is amazing, good job Bones
Apr 24, 2016 5:34 AM

Dec 2011
This episode was phenomenal!!!!! I was at the edge of my seat since before the episode started, and slowly made my way closer to the edge as the episode progressed.....OMG I couldn't help but scream with excitement when he unleashed his new Quirk, and in one of the best possible times as well. Feel bad for his body, though OUCHHHH. SO ecstatic to see the next episode, and see the comments from his ability!!!!
"Can't wait for the Unexpected"
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2016

436 by His0kaDevv »»
Apr 11, 11:14 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2016

332 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 21, 3:10 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2016

276 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 18, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2016

294 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 16, 8:01 PM

» Be like the league of villains

Jannie7 - Mar 14

15 by Vaval »»
Mar 15, 12:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.