Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Feb 2, 2016 1:01 AM

Nov 2009
mimiiria said:
flannan said:

Gary Stu? Wasn't he just an ordinary superhero, the kind Americans love so much?

Edit: added spoiler button just in case

I don't find mental strength to be a Gary Stu class ability. Even if the show likes to showcase it.
Feb 2, 2016 1:47 AM

Jul 2015
flannan said:
mimiiria said:

Edit: added spoiler button just in case

I don't find mental strength to be a Gary Stu class ability. Even if the show likes to showcase it.

I'm sure people can have their own definitions of what makes a character a Gary-Stu. My opinion is just based on long-term exposure to bad fanfiction and Mary-Sue characters during my preteens, and in my experience Quon fits that archetype painfully well. But if you think he's better than that, then you're free to think so.
Feb 2, 2016 1:52 AM

Oct 2012
hmm.. To me, Yes it will...

I Dont know bout others though... :3
Feb 2, 2016 1:53 AM

Nov 2009
mimiiria said:
I'm sure people can have their own definitions of what makes a character a Gary-Stu. My opinion is just based on long-term exposure to bad fanfiction and Mary-Sue characters during my preteens, and in my experience Quon fits that archetype painfully well. But if you think he's better than that, then you're free to think so.

I see. I don't have this kind of background knowledge, so the character didn't rub me the wrong way.

It seems that there is a number of character archetypes that work well for good authors, but are really bad when done badly. And people who are used to those done badly characters can't like the same archetype when it's done well.
Feb 2, 2016 3:57 AM
Feb 2009
Totally up to this day I still can't get myself to pick up the fate stay night after the 1st season cause of
Feb 2, 2016 4:03 AM

Jul 2015
Flaecy said:
Totally up to this day I still can't get myself to pick up the fate stay night after the 1st season cause of

To be fair that's a translation issue and it's one that makes perfect sense in Japanese .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Feb 2, 2016 7:47 AM

Dec 2014
I feel like I am the only one that like Shu from Guilty Crown.
Feb 2, 2016 12:17 PM
Feb 2009
NipahAllDay said:
I feel like I am the only one that like Shu from Guilty Crown.

I wasn't too fond of him in the beginning but after the 2nd cour he was pretty cool and likable.
Feb 2, 2016 12:43 PM

Jul 2015
the main char is the one you see the most so id say it definitely can ruin an anime for me if i dont like them haha. i mean if i just dont like them ill just root for their enemies the whole time and still watch the show, but if the main char doesnt make sense or is annoying that kinda kills it for me.
Apr 23, 2016 2:36 PM

Feb 2016
i hate every single memmber of one piece crew , but that did not stop me from watching 625 episodes . So i guess not realy ..
"This is my father's crime against me, which I myself committed against none" Al-ma'arri
Apr 23, 2016 3:18 PM

Apr 2015
Fate UBW - both mc suck.
Infinite Stratos - they all are idiots...
Accel World - they whine too much about their lifes...
Death Note - Light is idiot - really, he made many stupid mistakes, he's annoying,
blindly proud & mental-ill.
Drrra - rarararara our 3 highschool dumps - even every supporting char is better than em, only cuz of leading groups they represent anything; w/o that they are nothing - NOTHING - boring.

2-D said:
Hajime from Gatchaman Crowds is the most annoying character I have encountered yet. I'm not saying I would've liked it more if she wasn't there, but she sure made it worse.

Her image's annoying, but w/o Hajime this anime hasn't anything for real to represent in 1st season.
Is it GreanPeace? I don't think so - whine to your parents or tell'em to buy sth for ur buttpain. Those ppl won't help you.
.. ..

Apr 23, 2016 4:37 PM

May 2013
Yes, the characters is the most important part imo so if I don't like the main char I won't like the show.
Apr 24, 2016 12:09 AM

Jul 2015
100% procent.I drop any anime which has a "pussy" main character or a cliché one.
Apr 24, 2016 12:18 AM

Mar 2016
Depends on the show. If there are other characters from the main cast who could make up for the MC I hate, then I guess I can tolerate. But if all the characters, including the MC, are horrible af, then that's when I drop the show.
Apr 24, 2016 12:19 AM

Feb 2016
Yes, it feels really hard to enjoy the series when the ultimate perspective of the story, AKA the MC is made from trash. *cough, Mirai Nikki, cough*
A retard is trying to prove his point, thanks.
Apr 24, 2016 12:24 AM

Jun 2012
MC is pretty important to me in most anime, so it could easily ruin a show for me. If an MC is a generic pervert of blatant self-insert (most things people may call self-insert aren't, I'm talking really bad ones) then I'm probably not gonna enjoy the anime.
Apr 24, 2016 12:25 AM

Jun 2015
Well Louise ruined Zero no Tsukaima for me.
I know some folks who dropped Melancholy of Haruhi because they can't stand Haruhi
Apr 24, 2016 1:34 AM

Dec 2010
any show that follows this template of weak pitiful mc is unexpectedly and suddenly thrown into dangerous supernatural situation and is pussy as shit, I usually dislike the mc

aka deadman wonderland
aka parasyte
aka attack on titan
aka tokyo ghoul
aka god eater
aka blue exorcist
aka kurozuka
aka naruto
....I could go on

I still enjoyed pretty much every single one of them except naruto though

Apr 24, 2016 1:37 AM

Dec 2012
Uhio said:
any show that follows this template of weak pitiful mc is unexpectedly and suddenly thrown into dangerous supernatural situation and is pussy as shit, I usually dislike the mc

aka deadman wonderland
aka parasyte
aka attack on titan
aka tokyo ghoul
aka god eater
aka blue exorcist
aka kurozuka
aka naruto
....I could go on

Naruto, Blue Exoricst? What?

Neither of them follow that or have any similarities in personalities to the other guys. They are similar with each other tho.
Apr 24, 2016 1:51 AM

Jan 2015
Uhio said:

aka deadman wonderland
aka parasyte
aka attack on titan
aka tokyo ghoul
aka god eater
aka blue exorcist
aka kurozuka
aka naruto
....I could go on

I understand most, but how is Eren a pussy? I mean he isn't a coward or anything.. Same for blue exorcist, and naruto
Apr 24, 2016 2:13 AM

Jul 2014
A lot of Harem MCs if it wasn't for their Harem Girls. Gary Stu MCS like Kirito, Oniisama (I don't know his name but I'm sure you all know who I'm referring to. Mahouka)to even certain Voice Actors like the Tsundere Queen can make me quit an Anime at the drop of a hat.
I play video games. You should play a video game because you read my signature.
Apr 24, 2016 2:26 AM
Jul 2014
I dropped Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor because Kaiji even tho the anime is good.
Apr 24, 2016 2:36 AM

Dec 2015
It usually prevents me from loving a show. I still can like it if there are a lot of other chars that I like. (I usually like other chars that aren't main more than the main chars.) Especially if it is a show that is focused on action and not on story/characters.

If it is focused on story/characters it will be hard to watch it with annoying main chars.

Examples:

Psycho Pass I would have less enjoyed if I did not like Makishima and Kougami that much. (And I usually don't like villains.) A big part of the show was about their rivalry and Kougami hunting Makishima.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) was still okay. Did not love it because I hated Mikasa, Eren and Armin. But I liked some of the other chars (Jean mainly). Also it was focused mainly on "action in a 'cool' setting" - not much importance of plot or characters. But if it weren't for other chars like Jean I would have dropped it.
Apr 24, 2016 2:43 AM
Apr 2015
Certainly, but that's why there's supporting characters to save the show. If they're horrible as well then there's no saving anything for me.
Apr 24, 2016 8:04 AM

Jul 2013
Uhio said:

aka deadman wonderland
aka parasyte
aka attack on titan
aka tokyo ghoul
aka god eater
aka blue exorcist
aka kurozuka
aka naruto
....I could go on

God Eater's Lenka was never a pussy though. He was rash and quick to take action without thinking. Quite the opposite of a pussy.

Attack on Titan's Eren is a hotheaded bastard who can't calm the fvck down. Not a pussy.

Blue Exorcist's Rin is brave. Not a pussy either.

Naruto might be a pussy for Sasuke but other than that, Naruto's courageous. Not a pussy. Believe it!
Apr 24, 2016 9:03 AM

Apr 2016
Yes, probably.

But for me it usually doesn't. If i hate a character i usually end up just hoping something bad happens to them in the show. So it could make u like a show for the misfortunes of the character rather than the good stuff. In horror where alot of crap happens to the character, hating them could make u enjoy the show more.
Apr 24, 2016 9:07 AM

Mar 2016
As long as whole anime is good i dont think that only main char is enough to ruin ur joy.

I always hated Amano Yukiteru from mirrai nikkki he was so annoying but still i loved the show.
Apr 24, 2016 2:57 PM

Sep 2015
Not for me, hes not the only character so i don't really mind. Besides most anime today cast the main character as an unconfident stick insect anyway, so i already hate most main characters.
Apr 24, 2016 3:33 PM

Nov 2015
Oh absolutely. It's the whole reason I don't like Sword Art Online. Hated the fact that Kirito succeeded at everything he attempted to do. I powered through the first arc of SAO II just because I liked Sinon and didn't wanna miss out on her story line even though everything Kirito did annoyed me.
May 2, 2016 1:36 AM

Oct 2009
Yup definitely.
It makes me want to skip all the parts he/she is in which is pretty much the entire show lol.
And even if I don't really hate his/her entirety, but I still skip the parts where the characters behavior/interactions with other characters are annoying.
like for example: I hate the shit out of Shihoru when she talks to Manato, or Merry christmas when she talks to Haruhiro or Yuuko when she talks to Niiya and vice versa. LOL

But I still end up finishing the show though, coupled with a very low score. haha I'm bias and shameless like that. :V

May 2, 2016 2:56 AM

Sep 2015
Mayoiga did. I hope Mitsumune dies!
May 2, 2016 3:10 AM
Mar 2016
Hmmm.... I can shift my focus to other things... so not really
May 2, 2016 3:46 AM

Sep 2015
Most of the time when I don't like an MC, I find it hard to complete the show. Unless if there are plenty better side characters that can convince me to finish the anime then I'll watch till the end.
Jun 3, 2016 4:25 AM

Dec 2013
HikiMaru39 said:
Most of the time when I don't like an MC, I find it hard to complete the show.
That's why i dropped The Lost Canvas cuz i didn't like Pegasus.
Jun 3, 2016 4:48 AM

Apr 2016
Nope. I tend to like secondary characters or background characters more than the MC, so it wouldn't bother me at all, though it would be annoying that the MC is a weak character I hate.

"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."
Jun 3, 2016 5:16 AM
Apr 2013
Even a character other than the most important one in the series, can ruin things somewhat. Supporting female leads in particular often get on my nerves, for whatever reason.
Jun 4, 2016 12:47 AM

Nov 2013
Mirai Nikki has a shit MC but I still thought it was okay.

It definitely can bring down an anime but it would have to be a pretty shitty MC to ruin an anime outright (granted I stopped watching Accel World as soon as I saw that abomination of a protagonist).

Jun 4, 2016 12:55 AM

Sep 2015
Lawrence from Spice and Wolf is a braindead, airheaded, dumb, baka, idiot, clueless, dense, son of a, infuriatingly, stupid character. He annoyed the ever living hell out of me in season 2. Season 1 he is forgiven since he's supposed to develop. Holo and their cute "couple" moments were the only things preventing me from dropping that show.
Jun 4, 2016 1:26 AM

Apr 2013
Not really, there should be other good factors
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Jun 4, 2016 2:53 AM

Sep 2015
It's making boku no hero a lot harder to watch because the character seems to have a mental breakdown every 2 minutes.
Jun 4, 2016 2:56 AM

Feb 2016
yes
I dropped many animes for that reason
Jun 4, 2016 2:44 PM

Jun 2016
Not really. I can find enjoyment in other elements of the anime as long as the MC's horrible personality doesn't taint everything else.

Like attack on titan, honestly don't like Eren at all. But, i still liked the series as a whole.
Jun 4, 2016 3:02 PM

Nov 2015
If the main, main, main, main character is the one I dislike then yes; the anime gets dropped.

If it's the deuteragonist or tritagonist that I dislike, I can live with it... unless it's Matsuoka Miu. I hate her so much. Granted I didn't drop the anime, but it was painful to watch it with her in the cast. I relished every second without her.
Jun 4, 2016 3:24 PM

Sep 2015
Not completely however a good mc is quite essential for me.
Jun 4, 2016 3:48 PM

May 2016
For me not really. I can't stand Alois Trancy or Claude Faustus but I still ended up watching Black Butler II anyway
Jun 4, 2016 5:13 PM

Oct 2015
Like people said, it depends on how good the anime is. I'm not a big fan of Eren from Attack on Titan, but the plot and characters like Armin, Erwin, Jean, etc, makes up for rating the show lower than I was planning to if I was basing my rate solely on Eren, I would give it a 6.
Go back to being a naked monkey, sweetie!

Jun 4, 2016 7:35 PM
Jul 2018
I think there's oftentimes a lot more than the MC that keeps me watching a show such as the concept/plot and the action.

I kept watching and fairly enjoyed Mirai Nikki and Guilty Crown even though I didn't like Yuki or Shu. Then there are shows like Endride where I couldn't stomach the MC. but there were MANY other problems with that show
Jun 4, 2016 7:38 PM

Oct 2012
It depends on the reasons why i dislike the MC. If the MC is a walking Stereotype, I'll probably dislike the show. But if the MC is unlikeable on purpose and it has bearing on how the story goes, I think thats perfectly fine.
Jun 4, 2016 7:42 PM

Aug 2013
Just dropped Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 because of the MC. Most irritating protagonist I've ever seen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2016 8:57 PM

Nov 2014
No i have never had this issue

Besides i finish what i start no matter what
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

» Why do so many people hate a show because of one character?

ZeroMajor12 - May 20

27 by perseii »»
31 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you watch Anime EDs?

TheSunLife - 5 hours ago

27 by TheSunLife »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime that made you feel emotional

ST63LTH - Yesterday

17 by Daviljoe193 »»
5 minutes ago

» Why do so many people still shove anime through interpolaiton AI? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - May 19

74 by DigiCat »»
10 minutes ago

» Have you ever started a new hobby or activity because of anime?

Lhundrup - 6 hours ago

18 by Akuya »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.