Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Jan 25, 2016 5:40 AM

Nov 2009
layfonkun said:
Rei from HSOD, show actually works better without her even if she was hot. Bringing up your ex every time you get mad is not a way to endear yourself to others. You're in a zombie apocalypse, either get over it and fuck him or shut the hell up and let Saeko shine like the boss she is.

Actually, people problems arising as soon as there's no immediate danger is a tradition in zombie apocalypse stories. It wasn't even that bad in HSotD. Because without that, the zombies would've been too easy.

SkullProX said:
@tsundereheart @tsudecimo
The main i dont like him is because his ideals-no matter the reasons- and his faceand everything.

One of the first anime I've watched was Trigun. Since that time, I can't hate people who have ideals.
(Well, I liked them even before that, because I'm a proud warrior race guy.)
Jan 25, 2016 6:44 AM

Jan 2015
@flannan
It's not that he has ideals, but WHAT are his ideals which annoys me :D
Jan 25, 2016 8:22 AM

Jun 2009
Oh god, yes it can.
A few examples. UtaPri. Haruka was her name? But yeah, I scored two seasons pretty high (which is 7; and dropped third) just because boys were likable. If not for them, the score would be much worse (welp, to be honest, if I'd rewatch it now, the score wouldn't be 7).
Amnesia. Again, reverse harem. But this time, the boys didn't really help much.
Just generally, I don't like main girl from most reverse harems I've watched.
Accel World. I dropped it because I didn't like the main characters.
And I'm too lazy to think about other MC who annoyed me.

It's good if there are a few MCs so you can hate one, but like the others.
In conclusion, I might not necessarily drop an anime because I don't like some characters, but it will definitely affect the score.
I like pancakes.
Jan 25, 2016 8:43 AM

May 2015
NickDrake said:
Yes, to a moderate to high extent. Me hating Yukiteru and Shinji is partly why I hated Mirai Nikki and the original Evangelion so much, because they show themselves throughout their whole respective series to be horrid characters and it makes me actively root against them in the show. I thought Renton Thurston from Eureka Seven was gonna be a Shinji 2.0, but as the series progressed and he matured and progressed, I grew to like him as a character and a person, which greatly increased the appeal of the series to me. Then I watched Astral Ocean and I couldn't stand its MC so I dropped it

If you're rooting for anyone in Mirai Nikki, you're watching the anime wrong. You're not supposed to root for anyone.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 25, 2016 9:55 AM

Nov 2009
TheBrainintheJar said:
If you're rooting for anyone in Mirai Nikki, you're watching the anime wrong. You're not supposed to root for anyone.

Why? It's easy to identify with the MC (especially for those people who don't have a warrior's spirit), and there are plenty of worthy people there. And some pitiable people who would be saved in a more light-hearted story.

Of course, reveling in destruction done by Yuuno is fun too (especially for those people who have a warrior's spirit), but that can't be the only right way to enjoy Mirai Nikki.

You know, artistic perfection and realism aren't something everybody should enjoy. Let them find their own reasons to like an anime.
Jan 25, 2016 9:57 AM
Jul 2015
Yeah, Kino and Hermes from Kino no Tabi are a good example.
hi
Jan 25, 2016 11:21 AM
Dec 2015
No not really, a show for me is more then just the MC alone so usually i don't drop shows with an annoying MC.
Jan 25, 2016 11:33 AM

Sep 2014
I will ony dislike characters that are poorly presented.

The character can be a crybaby, an asshole prick, quiet outshined by sidechars, an evil ruthless bastard, that I may not enjoy, if at least he is not an one dimensional, predictable and overcliche mothaphucka
Smoke Weed Everyday
Jan 25, 2016 11:36 AM

May 2015
For me it depends on how much focus is placed on the main character alone.. for example, in some anime even the side characters get plenty of screentime and development so the not so likeable main character doesn't make the show unwatchable.. but if the focus is only placed on the main character and he's not likeable at all.. then yeah, it's hard to keep watching.
Jan 25, 2016 1:03 PM

Jan 2014
I got simple prories.

A) Hero is anoying as fuck, but do not do sensless things: OK, i can leave it be i will cry but accept it.
B) Hero is OP, and 'smart', but actually retarded, and goes through lake by swimmin' instead of taking boat wich was right next to him: No?
C) Cryba...: NO. NO TO MANY OF THOSE THANK YOU. I will stay with my mahouka ;-;
D) Calm but hardcorly retarded mc with sensful wise friends... Well. I could live with it.
Jan 25, 2016 1:07 PM

Apr 2014
Ofcourse it can, except if the MC is supposed to be annoying, than the show is doing a good job.
Jan 25, 2016 1:17 PM

Apr 2013
Plot armor.....
if the story needs mc to be fucking jackass then so be it (mikado is so fucking dense but i still rate durarara high)
BUT if the story doesnt actually need the mc to be a fucking eyesore then sorry, u got to
"GINTAMA IS UTTER SHIT!"
*Scores SAO2 9/10 and Nisekoi 9/10*
Jan 25, 2016 1:49 PM

Jul 2015
SkullProX said:
@flannan
It's not that he has ideals, but WHAT are his ideals which annoys me :D

Are you talking about Shirou ?

Pretty simple .Basically his belief is that saving people is something that can't possibly be wrong .

And so he strived to be like Kerry .But....the point of UBW is showing how his ideals aren't truly his ........I'll go on and on but unless someone asks I won't even bother to say why people find his ideal beautiful .
SodiumChlorideJan 25, 2016 2:12 PM
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jan 25, 2016 1:55 PM

May 2015
flannan said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Why? It's easy to identify with the MC (especially for those people who don't have a warrior's spirit), and there are plenty of worthy people there. And some pitiable people who would be saved in a more light-hearted story.

Of course, reveling in destruction done by Yuuno is fun too (especially for those people who have a warrior's spirit), but that can't be the only right way to enjoy Mirai Nikki.

You know, artistic perfection and realism aren't something everybody should enjoy. Let them find their own reasons to like an anime.

Because the whole cast of Mirai Nikki is made of crazy, narrow-minded people who bring their own downfall. They're far from imperfect. We're invited to understand them, not to root for them. The series tells you about the other characters and shows you their points of view.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 25, 2016 2:09 PM

Jul 2015
I recently watched School Days, and in that, most people really really hate Makoto, the protagonist, and so did I to some extent.

But me disliking him didn't translate into me disliking the show, it's what made the show good and interesting to me. If you were to consider him a villain (which he technically isn't really) then he'd be one of my favorite villain simply because of how much I like to hate him.
Jan 25, 2016 4:23 PM

Sep 2015
No not really.
Most animes i have seen i haven't really liked the main character but there is always other characters i like, for a show to be ruined for me it would have to been so boring i struggle to even get through an episode.
Jan 25, 2016 7:05 PM

Jul 2015
Sometimes. One of the problems I had with Inuyasha was that I didn't like him to the core. Death Note I didn't like Light either, but the real issue with Death Note was how stale it got after L died, not my discontent for the main character.
Jan 26, 2016 6:06 AM

Jul 2009
For me it does! There was many animes that I lost interest thanks to the MC, I finished it, but I spent the whole time thinking "why I keep watching?" or I finish coz there was some character that I liked.
Some examples of MC's I hate: Eren (AOT) and Shu (GC), but the list is big...
Jan 28, 2016 12:48 AM

May 2014
flannan said:
Strawberrycake48 said:
Shirou's presence definitely ruined Fate/Stay Night & UBW for me, and Tatsuya ruined Mahouka for me. Also, a lot of Shoujo anime have crap leads, so I don't end up supporting the couple at all :/

Obviously the MC is one of the most important components to an anime, yet for some reason, they're always the least interesting and most cliched!!

These two paragraphs taken together are very funny. Tatsuya is the only male version of Nagato Yuki I've ever seen, and yet you complain about him being cliched.

Well that's it. I'm not talking about Nagato, I'm talking about Tatsuya. Yuki wasn't the MC, so maybe that's why her character worked better in the anime- she also actually had emotions, they just took a lot to wring out. Tatsuya is literally void of emotion aside from his love for Miyuki, and that ruined the anime for me...I can't connect with a main character who feels little, rarely reacts to anything emotionally and imo is so OP that the fights lose all tension.

I'll admit, he's a badass, but not MY preferred breed of badass! ;)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2016 1:01 AM

Sep 2015
I only enjoy shows to the fullest if I like the characters.

You just lost the game
Jan 28, 2016 2:01 AM

Sep 2015
One of the reasons I only gave OreImo a 6/10 is because of Kirino. I would've scored it higher if not for her.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jan 28, 2016 2:12 AM

Dec 2015
If the MC is EXTREMELY bad, or the the rest of the anime isn't that good, then yes.
Jan 28, 2016 4:42 AM

Nov 2009
Strawberrycake48 said:
flannan said:

These two paragraphs taken together are very funny. Tatsuya is the only male version of Nagato Yuki I've ever seen, and yet you complain about him being cliched.

Well that's it. I'm not talking about Nagato, I'm talking about Tatsuya. Yuki wasn't the MC, so maybe that's why her character worked better in the anime- she also actually had emotions, they just took a lot to wring out. Tatsuya is literally void of emotion aside from his love for Miyuki, and that ruined the anime for me...I can't connect with a main character who feels little, rarely reacts to anything emotionally and imo is so OP that the fights lose all tension.

Tatsuya does have emotions unrelated to Miyuki. He would often help people just because he can, something robots won't do. He is said to dislike their stepmother (just like Miyuki). His emotions just never become too strong.

Anyway, it does nothing to invalidate the fact that you didn't like him as a main character. As long as you understand that it's not because he's generic - it's alright.
Jan 28, 2016 10:28 AM

May 2014
flannan said:
Strawberrycake48 said:

Tatsuya does have emotions unrelated to Miyuki. He would often help people just because he can, something robots won't do. He is said to dislike their stepmother (just like Miyuki). His emotions just never become too strong.

Anyway, it does nothing to invalidate the fact that you didn't like him as a main character. As long as you understand that it's not because he's generic - it's alright.

It doesn't matter if he's generic or not- isn't that kind of a subjective term anyway, depending on what anime you've watched?
I guess I'll admit that he's not generic as an MC because there aren't many nearby emotionless leads around that I can think of, although there are a lot of supporting characters that have emotionless, stoic personalities!

It's a shame though, I liked a lot of the other characters- I don't feel like they got enough spotlight.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2016 10:31 AM

Jun 2015
I can still enjoy a good anime with a bad mc but it severely impairs it.
Jan 28, 2016 7:09 PM

Oct 2010
arms98 said:
Atikal said:
ruined FSN for me. I hate Shirou so much

When deen fate was the only anime that was out that makes sense, but now that ubw is here this man needs a break from all of this heat. I really don't understand why people hate him so much. Even if you find his actions to be retarded (which they are) with all of the reasoning behind them its kinda weird to still hate him.

I havent' even watched the anime yet, I've only played the VN.
Jan 28, 2016 8:18 PM

Mar 2012
I suppose it might be possible for there to be a good show with a shitty MC but I can't say that I've seen one. Having a really bad MC is a pretty fundamental flaw that most writers can avoid so usually shows that fail in that regard also fail in a bunch of other regards.
Jan 28, 2016 8:31 PM

Jul 2015
Sometimes.. It really depends on if I like the storyline and other characters
Jan 29, 2016 5:57 AM

Nov 2009
SeibaaHomu said:
I suppose it might be possible for there to be a good show with a shitty MC but I can't say that I've seen one. Having a really bad MC is a pretty fundamental flaw that most writers can avoid so usually shows that fail in that regard also fail in a bunch of other regards.

It's mostly about MCs with a personality that individual watchers dislike. Unless the MC is a personalityless lump of protagonism like many harem MCs, there are bound to be a few people who find him/her disagreeable. The stronger the personality, the more haters.
Worse yet, personalityless MCs have their haters too.
Jan 29, 2016 6:05 AM

Jan 2016
I'm having trouble finding the energy to watch To Love-Ru because of the MC, he is such a wimp all he does is cry about everything, it's really sad and pathetic. Oh, he's also infatuated with that ugly short haired girl,she's all he thinks about, Lala chases him around and he just ignores her for the girl who looks like a boy. We need more MC's who aren't such wimps, Akatsuki is the perfect MC and we need more like him, he doesn't constantly doubt himself, he isn't horrible with women and he knows what he wants.

Rito may develop into a more appealing character as the story progresses, but it will take me a while to watch those episodes.
Jan 29, 2016 6:33 AM

Nov 2009
Isuru said:
Akatsuki is the perfect MC and we need more like him, he doesn't constantly doubt himself, he isn't horrible with women and he knows what he wants.

Which Akatsuki are you talking about? This name is a bit too common.
Akatsuki Kojou from Strike the Blood?
Akatsuki Ousawa from Hagure Yuusha no Estetica?
(these are just two from the long list of Akatsukis that I know are harem protagonists)
Jan 29, 2016 6:53 AM

Jan 2016
flannan said:
Which Akatsuki are you talking about? This name is a bit too common.

You're right, sorry about that, I'm new here. I'm talking about Akatsuki from Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero. Akatsuki from Strike the Blood is fairly weak and always needs help, that aside he is a fairly decent MC.
Jan 29, 2016 7:22 AM

Mar 2012
Look, I get why people don't find wimpy MCs appealing but there's a fine line between confident badass and borderline rapist.
Jan 29, 2016 10:04 AM

Nov 2009
SeibaaHomu said:
Look, I get why people don't find wimpy MCs appealing but there's a fine line between confident badass and borderline rapist.

I'd say Nurarihyon no Mago's Rikuo of the Night is a confident badass, but Akatsuki Ousawa from Hagure Yuusha no Estetica is a borderline rapist.
Jan 29, 2016 6:47 PM

Dec 2014
I was not a major fan of Bell or Hestia in DanMachi. In fact, there are side characters who would make the show much better from their point of view.

Bell for being a generic spineless MC who keeps screaming in cringe-worthy ways.

And Hestia for being annoying as sin. (Seriously that "BELL-KUN SHOULDN'T BE AROUND OTHER GIRLS" shit killed any chance of me liking her)
Jan 29, 2016 6:52 PM

May 2015
The MC in HDXD made me stop at episode 1
Jan 30, 2016 5:42 AM
Jan 2016
yeah lmao i mainly stay out of all harem animes because the mcs are disgustingly awfull, also i stopped watching alot of animes because of the mcs (zero no tsukaima, charlotte, gate, Noragami, etc...).
i was gonna stop watching mirai nikki but i ended up really liking the mc in the end so yeah..

i think the only anime i watched til end with an anoying af mc was rokka no yuusha and that was only because i really REALLY like the story
Jan 30, 2016 9:16 AM

Jan 2013
Aoepsa said:
yeah lmao i mainly stay out of all harem animes because the mcs are disgustingly awfull, also i stopped watching alot of animes because of the mcs (zero no tsukaima, charlotte, gate, Noragami, etc...).
i was gonna stop watching mirai nikki but i ended up really liking the mc in the end so yeah..

i think the only anime i watched til end with an anoying af mc was rokka no yuusha and that was only because i really REALLY like the story

You stopped watching Noragami, but finished Mirai Nikki and the protagonist was the deciding factor?

How!?
Jan 30, 2016 6:27 PM

Jul 2015
I ended up checking out Towa no Quon and my God the MC is the biggest Gary-Stu ever. Combine all the Gary-Stuness of all the shounen/action/harem shows I've seen and Quon is still the worst. It doesn't help that his alter-ego Insania reminds me of a Sonic cosplay. Nothing like Sonic to make me feel nauseous.

Tbh Towa no Quon wouldn't be a masterpiece anyway even without the shitty protagonist, but at least I could call it 'decent'. But apparently any amateur fanfiction enthusiast is allowed to write anime plots these days.
Jan 30, 2016 8:32 PM

Jun 2014
I know that i didn't not enjoy gosick as much as i should have because of how goddamn annoying and useless the main character was. I understand the story wouldn't have worked if Victorique was the main character but that isn't an excuse.
Q: The world won't change, you must change yourself in this world. Now, how will you change yourself?

A: Become the god of the new world.
Jan 30, 2016 10:34 PM

Aug 2015
Yes, it can ruin the show. I disliked some anime because I hate the MC
Jan 30, 2016 10:36 PM

Mar 2015
Disliked SnK because of Eren and Mikasa.
SAO's MCs are even more unbearable.
Jan 30, 2016 10:38 PM
Dec 2012
It kinda matters to me. If the MC is too overpowered or too annoying for no good reasons. If an anime that I think is good, usually I am fond of all the main characters (Example: Hataraku Maou-sama)
Jan 31, 2016 12:29 AM

Apr 2009
Absolutely. I couldn't stand Kirito.
Jan 31, 2016 3:45 PM
Jan 2016
TitanAnteus said:
Aoepsa said:

You stopped watching Noragami, but finished Mirai Nikki and the protagonist was the deciding factor?

How!?

to be honest i have no idea lol, the more i watched mirai nikki the more i started to uderstand yukki's point of view so i wasnt so anoyed by him, but noragami.... oh boy i couldnt even go past episode 6, it was too unbearable everytime he appeared on screen i just wanted to lit myself on fire that's how anoying he was for me
Feb 1, 2016 12:25 AM

Nov 2009
mimiiria said:
I ended up checking out Towa no Quon and my God the MC is the biggest Gary-Stu ever. Combine all the Gary-Stuness of all the shounen/action/harem shows I've seen and Quon is still the worst. It doesn't help that his alter-ego Insania reminds me of a Sonic cosplay. Nothing like Sonic to make me feel nauseous.

Tbh Towa no Quon wouldn't be a masterpiece anyway even without the shitty protagonist, but at least I could call it 'decent'. But apparently any amateur fanfiction enthusiast is allowed to write anime plots these days.

Gary Stu? Wasn't he just an ordinary superhero, the kind Americans love so much?

Aoepsa said:

I feel you are missing out on a lot of good stuff.
Feb 1, 2016 8:22 PM

Jul 2015
flannan said:
mimiiria said:

Gary Stu? Wasn't he just an ordinary superhero, the kind Americans love so much?

Feb 1, 2016 9:33 PM

Jan 2013
disliking MC is basically disliking the entire show to me, because MC tend to have the most screen time, and keep watching character you dislike is suffering...

i usually wont continue a show if i disliked the MC from the first several episodes, the only time i persisted through the finish despite disliking the MC is death note....just because i want to see light's downfall
Feb 1, 2016 9:39 PM

Dec 2015
If lelouch and Light Yagami were pussies I would have dropped that show in a heartbeat.

Feb 1, 2016 11:39 PM

Sep 2014
Accel World It would've been 10/10 if it had a cooler MC. My opinion. Still managed to watch it and did enjoy it.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

» If the world was ending tomorrow

JoeChip - Yesterday

30 by SgtBateMan »»
1 minute ago

» Idolizing Villains

SimplyBrazen - 3 hours ago

9 by Jackof-allspades »»
9 minutes ago

» What are the requirements for an anime to get "reanimated"?

Ventus_S - Jun 15

21 by Ventus_S »»
12 minutes ago

» Summer 2024 Season

OldLoser - Yesterday

29 by duchessliz87 »»
38 minutes ago

» Create Your Perfect Staff:

APolygons2 - 41 minutes ago

0 by APolygons2 »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.