Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Asterisk War (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 5, 2015 4:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol, Julis got what she wanted..the pat on the head. Plus, she did kind of earn it in the fight I guess. Saya got more of the no shame Victory Sign to Ayato.

And what, getting a power up through a bite to the neck? Now that just looks kinda freaky. Weird fight in the second half. I guess there's really some unorthodox style in action for this series especially for characters like Irene and her sister. That girl also has the attitude of looking for fights.
Stark700Dec 5, 2015 5:32 AM
Dec 5, 2015 4:57 AM

Feb 2008
You mean Julis got what she wanted but she was too embarassed to handle it all lol, but what I didn't expect that Saya could handle that close combat so well.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Dec 5, 2015 5:24 AM

Feb 2014
Nice to see Saya handling close combat with her guns. They still face weak enemies though. Can't wait to see them fighting with the vampire girl.

For the first time, Claudia didn't appear at the ending.
Dec 5, 2015 5:27 AM
Aug 2012
Stark700 said:

And what, getting a power up through a bite to the neck? Now that just looks kinda freaky. Weird fight in the second half. I guess there's really some unorthodox style in action for this series especially for characters like Kyouko and her sister. That girl also has the attitude of looking for fights.

Stark that's Irene. Her name was already shown in the previous episode.

Dec 5, 2015 5:32 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
One thing that I think nobody can deny is that this show has great art and animation....Definitely the best episode of the season so far imo

The beginning scene with Saya's dad was pretty funny as well as the scene with the two artificial Lux robots. The whole limiter thing that was mentioned by their master was pretty interesting too

Saya and Kirin's match and their preparation before it and cool down time after it was way too great and was easily the best match so far imo....The comedy before it worked and their skills were super impressive, especially Saya going full swordsman with her gun which I did not expect at all and that was really badass

Julis got her turn to solo some noobs and did a great job but I felt a litle bad for the idol girls xD Kawaii Julis wanted her head to get patted too lel but man the match with the axe dude was intense as fuck

I was already super interested in the vampire girl and her sister from the time when she beat up those thugs and revealed her epic looking scythe but man seeing them in action was another story....That entire scene was just really really cool and I was super impressed by both of them....Ayato and Julis are gonna have it super rough =o

Great episode overall but I have a question for LN readers, we're on day 5 now and I was wondering if anything of importance happened in the previous days?
TokoyaDec 5, 2015 5:39 AM
Dec 5, 2015 5:33 AM
Jul 2018
ey pat scene was cute
great action, looking forward to next ep.
Dec 5, 2015 5:33 AM

Jan 2012
Fairly boring, but Julis was cute. I'm also really diggin' those sisters. Irene's hot and all showin' off her nice tits all the time, but her little sis is hidin' a nice rack too, maybe even better than Irene. Who knew? :D Much better fanservice than that shower scene. I wish they were our main characters! :D
Dec 5, 2015 5:37 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Tokoya said:
One thing that I think nobody can deny is that this show had great art and animation
Well it's A-1 Pictures, no one should be surprised at that
Dec 5, 2015 5:38 AM

Dec 2013
Three battles in one, what a bargain. I'm glad that they didn't skip out any of them either, because it shows at least some attention to detail.

Saya was on point this episode as well. I love how they showed her whimsical nonchalance. The "V" after the battle was cute and the one in the room was funny as heck. Love how she deadpans her way through life, even when life has been unkind to her.

With the rate things are going, I'm expecting them to either finish up volume 3 in the next episode, or to drag it out till the end. Either way, there should be more than enough time left over to tease the next cour.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Dec 5, 2015 5:40 AM

Jun 2013
Julis's too cute. Next episode will be a great battle when Ayato and Julis vs Irene and her sister.
Can't wait to see Ayato beats that scythe vampire.
Dec 5, 2015 5:43 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
HaXXspetten said:
Tokoya said:
One thing that I think nobody can deny is that this show had great art and animation
That's true for the most part :P
Dec 5, 2015 5:46 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
I find it awesome that Saya can fight in close range combat using her gun to shield herself. I also think it's awesome that Saya isn't ashamed to show her naked body to Ayato. xD "V"! Saya and Kirin's team fought well together in this episode!

I feel sorry for the cute Non-sugar team. They got rekt by Julis alone. :(

When I found out that Lester and his partner were going to fight Irene, I already expected who was going to win. :/
Dec 5, 2015 5:52 AM
Aug 2012
Tokoya said:

Great episode overall but I have a question for LN readers, we're on day 5 now and I was wondering if anything of importance happened in the previous days?

No not really the preliminary rounds took quite some time as there are 256 teams. The main events from the LN are all shown as far as i remember. The interesting things are coming up in the next 2 episodes.

L-Ryoshi said:

With the rate things are going, I'm expecting them to either finish up volume 3 in the next episode, or to drag it out till the end. Either way, there should be more than enough time left over to tease the next cour.

I don't think they will finish it the next episode, there are still some important parts left and they are adapting this volume slowly compared to how they handled volume 2. I really hope they make the main fight last longer this time. Next episode would probably be build-up and the last episode will be the fight with some teasers.

Dec 5, 2015 6:07 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Tokoya said:

No not really the preliminary rounds took quite some time as there are 256 teams. The main events from the LN are all shown as far as i remember. The interesting things are coming up in the next 2 episodes.

L-Ryoshi said:

I don't think they will finish it the next episode, there are still some important parts left and they are adapting this volume slowly compared to how they handled volume 2. I really hope they make the main fight last longer this time. Next episode would probably be build-up and the last episode will be the fight with some teasers.
Okay, this is good, really looking forward to seeing what happens next :)
Dec 5, 2015 6:23 AM

Jul 2015
Haha, Julis got her pat on the head :D oh and Sceath... Looks troublesome.
Dec 5, 2015 6:25 AM

Aug 2013
Duel animation was much improved comparing to last week.
HaXXspetten said:
Tokoya said:

O.o
A1 is one of the worst studios if it comes to visuals (mostly because overusing ugly CG).
Worse than them are probably only Production IG (I'm talking about nowadays of course) and GoHands.
And where you see great animation and art? It is just average. Not bad (but good for A1 standards), but not great too.
If you want great animation and art from this season watch Owari no Seraph or Noragami.
rsc-plDec 5, 2015 6:49 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 5, 2015 6:39 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Julis getting patted, yes. Shower fanservice , Ayato you lucky bastard.

4/5
Dec 5, 2015 6:48 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Sasamiya you troll :)

Irene's little sister is a good addition...she is cute

Dat sucking blood scene.....

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Dec 5, 2015 6:57 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
rsc-pl said:
HaXXspetten said:

O.o
A1 is one of the worst studios if it comes to visuals (mostly because overusing ugly CG).
Worse than them are probably only Production IG (I'm talking about nowadays of course) and GoHands.
And where you see great animation and art? It is just average. Not bad (but good for A1 standards), but not great too.
If you want great animation and art from this season watch Owari no Seraph or Noragami.
IG are one of the best when it comes to art and animation, are you even serious right now lol? Unless you're referring to CGI then thats another story, but even then they're actually one of the few studios that can do it right and I think are the pioneers of digital animation in Japan

I think you're confusing them with Toei or someone else because their most recent works (KnB, Psycho Pass and Haikyuu ) are no where near being bad in the visuals category
TokoyaDec 5, 2015 7:00 AM
Dec 5, 2015 7:08 AM

Aug 2013
Tokoya said:
rsc-pl said:

O.o
IG are one of the best when it comes to art and animation, are you even serious right now lol? Unless you're referring to CGI then thats another story, but even then they're actually one of the few studios that can do it right and I think are the pioneers of digital animation in Japan

I think you're confusing them with Toei or someone else because their most recent works (KnB and Haikyuu ) are no where near being bad in the art and animation category

Well, nope. I'm talking about psycho-pass (movie especially, it was a torture to watch, one of the worst looking things which I've ever seen in anime) and their newest shows/movies in general.
I know that they have tons of great looking productions, and first Ghost in The Shell movie is a masterpiece (I rewatched it yesterday in HD and I really miss animation like this). I'm talking about what they are doing now.

Btw, I forgot about Sunrise, their anime is looking bad too (and you know what is funny? The lower budged they have, the better their anime looks, Natsu iro Kiseki for example, it looked perfect for me)
rsc-plDec 5, 2015 7:17 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 5, 2015 7:08 AM
Aug 2012
Well another good episode as it got most of the things right expect for a few minor things. Well poor Ardi at the start.....i guess he is destinated for femdom forever. Btw i am confused. Was the AR-D and RM-C intentional or the subs changed them after the last episode?

Saya and Kirin's match had quite good animation and i hope i get to see quality like that in the important matches (well most of those are in the 2nd course). Well both of them has first hand experience of Ayato's Sword and CQC fighting so opponents of this level are nothing. But we got to see how Jie Long/World Dragon students fight in the anime and i am excited about the later matches. Sadly they didn't put Saya's comment about making that unorthodox style as to be able to at least keep up with Ayato when they were training in their childhood.

That shower scene sigh....i know it's your marketing strategy for the BDs but those two had their towels on even in the colored illustrations. You already put a filler fanservice episode, stop focusing too much on Kirin's body. You will send several people to jail at this rate. And where is the scene about Saya receiving a sermon from Julis for her lack of common sense (at least care about other people.......you may have nothing there but others do). Well at least Julis didn't blame or hit the MC for being (un)lucky when it's not his fault unlike typical tsunderes.

Ayato-Julis's second fight continues as expected according to their strategies. 2 VS1 fights to hide their combinations and weakness as long as possible. Julis's fighting style of using long range attacks to manipulates her opponents and destroying them with traps when their guard is down.........something i enjoy very much. Both of them can use tactics but Julis is the main strategist of the team. As glad as i am see that cute head patting scene, my only complain is that the anime put too much tsun in there. Ayato took off his hand in the LN (as Julis was quite a bit embarrassed) instead of Julis knocking it away. It really would have shown that they are gradually developing and becoming closer.

Now the main highlight.....Irene, Priscilla and Gravisheath. She truly fits her title as Violent Vampire Princess and her style of fighting is another surprise as well. They also explained her unique way of handling the Orge Lux which drains the users pretty quickly as well. The gravity manipulation and gravity balls were just as i imagined and looked pretty good as usual. Sorry Lester, you seem to have one bad luck after another but at least you tried until the end. Orge Lux users are on a completely different level and Gravisheath specializes in both mid and long range.
Dragon_Slayer_XDec 5, 2015 7:17 AM

Dec 5, 2015 7:10 AM

Nov 2015
Vampire ?! That's unexpected
Dec 5, 2015 7:13 AM

Feb 2015

Lol that boob grabbing.

That ''vampire'' chick looks badass. Can't wait to see them fight her.
I'm sure she's going to be their first tough opponent.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 5, 2015 7:23 AM

Mar 2015
That kick reminded me of Inner Moka from Rosario Vampire lol
Dec 5, 2015 7:38 AM

Jan 2015
And here I thought that Saya's father is sick. But after that phone call earlier, I guess it's just my imagination.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Dec 5, 2015 7:43 AM

Sep 2014
Welp. Those quality drops are starting to become more obvious. All in all the action was still good. I also like Claudia's design a lot.
Dec 5, 2015 8:10 AM
Apr 2015
Urgh, I've been really trying to look past the fight scenes in hope they get better, but today's were either short or nonsensical. Lester just waited a minute while his opponent powered up and abandoned his main tactic of keeping on the move at the same time? Really? I know a lot of animes are guilty of this but this was really glaring this time.

There have been parts I've really liked about Asterisk, but today was sub-par action and sub-par romance (how much time can they dedicate to head pats?). I wouldn't normally mind it if the battles were shortened to make way for a relationship development scene, but I feel like action should be the main focus of the series during the Phoenix Festa. It's a shame because the fast-paced battles have been fun to watch, but they haven't gone for very long.

The pacing so far has been pretty breakneck too, but at least it's consistent.
Dec 5, 2015 8:14 AM

Jan 2015
Damn, thing are gonna be tough for Julis and Ayato.
Dec 5, 2015 8:15 AM

Feb 2009
There were a few things I liked about this episode, that at least they tried to surprise us by having Saya actually do pretty well with close combat fighting, and the fact that they didn't make Lester's fight .000001 seconds like they usually do for secondary characters just to show off the power of the enemy. He even got a hit in. Though I didn't expect him to just give up without having his badge broken, however. Vampire chick and her sister are weird. I don't feel like they are much of a threat to Ayato and Julis like the Androids are. But, this anime does okay trying to keep it interesting I suppose, so we'll see.

Dec 5, 2015 9:19 AM

Mar 2014
rsc-pl said:
O.o

are you crazy? a-1s cinematography and camera panning are god tier. best example is the opening sequence. they also have superior color palettes and bg art (shigatsu, anohana, sao, asterisk too if youve been paying attention to the architecture of the city). also you havent been paying attention to any of the fights have you? theyre some of the most fluid and appealing battle scenes ive seen in battle anime. theres so much attention to detail in asterisk and its completely going over your head honestly.
Dec 5, 2015 9:25 AM

Oct 2008
Ayato sure got an eyeful there.

Cool battle scenes this episode which made for slight drop in quality in the other scenes (esp. noticeable during cute Ayato-Julis scene).

Can someone tell me in the scene where Ayato was like "Don't tell me you too" and started blushing was because Ayato sort of realised Julis also likes him, or was he merely realising Julis wanted a pat on the head?

I LOVE AYATO AND JULIS THEY'RE SO ADORABLE TOGETHER UGH
Dec 5, 2015 9:47 AM

Dec 2013
Mascera said:
And here I thought that Saya's father is sick. But after that phone call earlier, I guess it's just my imagination.

Actually her dad's situation is even worse than that, but to say any more would be spoilers. Let's just say that it's a matter of perspective...
HESTIAAPPROVES
Dec 5, 2015 9:50 AM

Jan 2015
How unsurprising that Kirin has the cutest and best moment of the show.

Once again amazing art and animation really enjoyed the gravity wells.

Glad that starting next week shit will hit the fan but I don't see them finishing this Festa in the next three episodes.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Dec 5, 2015 9:57 AM
Oct 2015
bobzanny said:
Glad that starting next week shit will hit the fan but I don't see them finishing this Festa in the next three episodes.
That's why it's a two-cour anime.
Dec 5, 2015 10:02 AM

Jun 2013
so we have vampires now?
Dec 5, 2015 10:09 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
rsc-pl said:
Tokoya said:

I think you're confusing them with Toei or someone else because their most recent works (KnB and Haikyuu ) are no where near being bad in the art and animation category

Well, nope. I'm talking about psycho-pass (movie especially, it was a torture to watch, one of the worst looking things which I've ever seen in anime) and their newest shows/movies in general.
I know that they have tons of great looking productions, and first Ghost in The Shell movie is a masterpiece (I rewatched it yesterday in HD and I really miss animation like this). I'm talking about what they are doing now.

Btw, I forgot about Sunrise, their anime is looking bad too (and you know what is funny? The lower budged they have, the better their anime looks, Natsu iro Kiseki for example, it looked perfect for me)
I disagree in regards to the Psycho Pass film because that was the best that the series ever looked and you could see the budget that went into it (Heck most if not all films have great budgets) but other than that the only other series they did recently that I can think of is Junketsu no Maria and that looked alright to me =/

Sunrise has definitely been dropping in the visuals aspect as of late but at least Gundam (Unicorn and Iron Blooded Orphans) look great
Dec 5, 2015 10:13 AM

Sep 2010
L-Ryoshi said:
Mascera said:

Actually her dad's situation is even worse than that, but to say any more would be spoilers. Let's just say that it's a matter of perspective...

Ooh, I wonder what is going on with Saya's dad. Judging from just his voice, he seems like any other "normal" person.

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Dec 5, 2015 10:19 AM

Oct 2007
There are some truly terrible opinions about art and animation quality all around in this thread that just once again show an extremely limited experience with various studios works. Just...Jesus Christ even for MAL opinions.

The simple reality is that most studios are freelance nowadays so are working with whatever is available including animators, composers, directors, key animators storyboarders etc. One year for an IRL example a director might be working on Horizon out of Sunrise Studio 8, the next year out of Madhouse on Mahouka, the year after out of A-1 on Asterisk and they bring their styles and ideas with them. Animators often move around like crazy too unless they can become key animators and get to stick within a system they like but most prefer to stay freelance as it opens them up to more opportunities which when you look at the kind of wages these people make you realize they need to stay constantly working in order to get by. Anime industry is kind of a scam, both on fans and the people that tend to work in it that aren't producers and content owners. Get used to it.
PeacingOutDec 5, 2015 10:26 AM
Dec 5, 2015 10:24 AM

Jul 2014
Vampires, huh? As you do, I guess. Good god this show is dull though, even with all the action.
Dec 5, 2015 10:32 AM

Jun 2015
Bahhh that fight with the buff guy and that scythe bitch was unfair. That Lux has all the power while she only has kicks. that cheap ass scythe made the fight boring.
Dec 5, 2015 11:00 AM
Aug 2012
Jayden said:
Bahhh that fight with the buff guy and that scythe bitch was unfair. That Lux has all the power while she only has kicks. that cheap ass scythe made the fight boring.

Orge Luxes are extremely powerful but they have their required price. In normal case, Gravisheath would completely drain it's user after a few attacks but Irene-Priscilla pair has a way around that. It their style of teamwork.

Also Irene is good in CQC as well, they are not just kicks. It's good combo.......while she herself is good at close range, mid and long range can be covered by her Scythe and her sister can help with the blood/prana consumption.

Dec 5, 2015 12:15 PM
Jul 2018
Julis got a pat on the head.

Saya and Kirin did a good job on their battle!
Dec 5, 2015 12:16 PM

Feb 2015
felt like a build up episode again.
so they show the way the vampire fight in this episode.
Next two episode will be the fight between the vampire and Ayato, Julis, i guess and i hope so.
Hope they will start the real fight in the next episdoe.
Dec 5, 2015 12:19 PM

Jun 2015
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Jayden said:

Orge Luxes are extremely powerful but they have their required price. In normal case, Gravisheath would completely drain it's user after a few attacks but Irene-Priscilla pair has a way around that. It their style of teamwork.

Also Irene is good in CQC as well, they are not just kicks. It's good combo.......while she herself is good at close range, mid and long range can be covered by her Scythe and her sister can help with the blood/prana consumption.

then it looks like whoever can take the regen sis down first will beat her.
Dec 5, 2015 12:35 PM

May 2015
Julis a cutie <3. Great episode, pretty impressive that Saya could handle such a close-combat fight so perfectly with that huge weapon of her. So agile. But damn, didn't expect that blood drinking scene though. Looking forward to the next episode!

Dec 5, 2015 12:57 PM

May 2015

:3
Dec 5, 2015 12:57 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
Finally a good episode after a few I didn't care for.
Dec 5, 2015 1:07 PM

Aug 2010
Saya and Kirin were so awesome. Really loved Saya's fighting style. BA AF!

Liking New vampire chick too.

And man are there so many head patting scenes this season. Never get old :P
Dec 5, 2015 1:15 PM

Oct 2011
pat on the head <3
Dec 5, 2015 1:21 PM

Mar 2015
The new girl is cool... a vampire with the weakness of imouto.

Ayato and Julis barely do any teamwork in this team battle. They're basically doing solo tag team battles. Even Saya and Kirin knows how to do team battle properly.

The lack of Kirin is concerning, but the fanservice quite... uh... okay i guess.

Kirin not letting Saya fondling her is funny and cute at the same time lol. Then Saya just open the door when they're naked haha.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

201 by Foreall908 »»
Feb 8, 1:05 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2015

116 by POLYTRON2K »»
Dec 28, 2023 11:23 PM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2015

324 by animegamerrose »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:01 PM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2015

180 by Gutzdeep42 »»
May 29, 2023 5:17 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2015

122 by Arlindox0 »»
Feb 27, 2023 5:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.