Forum Settings
Forums

Why does "Religious" only refer to Christianity?

New
Nov 20, 2015 8:16 PM

Nov 2009
This thread is kind of dealing with a comment I made earlier, in this thread asking why people single out those who are religious. It is all fine and well until you take a look and notice that many of the members complaining about "militant atheism" are the same members referring to Islam as basically the religion of murder and mayhem. Is this irony just lost on them? Or perhaps there is something more. Discuss.
------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that singling out people for being religious is bad. Atheists imposing their views are bad. However why do people think this is any different from their own bashing of Islam? I dunno, I just thought that when you were obviously being a hypocrite a siren would go off in your head telling you to take a look inward first.
Pirating_NinjaNov 20, 2015 8:23 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 20, 2015 8:17 PM

Apr 2011
This is the first I've heard of such a thing.
Nov 20, 2015 8:17 PM

Jan 2015
someone's triggered
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Nov 20, 2015 8:28 PM

Jun 2015
It doesn't.
MAL is just retarded.
Nov 20, 2015 8:28 PM

Jul 2012
Because Christianity is the most common one.
Nov 20, 2015 8:29 PM

May 2008
Since when has it ever?

Religious extremists is a term used and usually means like, Islamic extremists.

Oct 2011
Because minority beliefs are irrelevant.

Jun 2015
BlueKite said:

That too
Nov 20, 2015 8:30 PM
Mar 2011
ok ill bite
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 20, 2015 8:31 PM

May 2008
BlueKite said:

Except there are more Muslims than Christians in the world but okay.

Mar 2008
What? I've never heard anyone use the term religious to only refer to Christianity.

Dec 2014
kobun said:
It doesn't.
MAL is just retarded.
Nov 20, 2015 8:33 PM

Nov 2009
traed said:
What? I've never heard anyone use the term religious to only refer to Christianity.
Well the same people consistently singling out and bashing Islam are complaining about being singled out for "religious" beliefs. How else can you take it? Surely Islam does not count as "religious" otherwise why would they be bashing those with religious beliefs AND complaining about people bashing religious beliefs?
Nov 20, 2015 8:34 PM

Jun 2015
Zazie122 said:
BlueKite said:

They're considered a minority in Western countries.
And like 99% of MAL I'm pretty sure is in the west so
Nov 20, 2015 8:35 PM

May 2008
@OP: They mean their religious beliefs.

kobun said:
Zazie122 said:

I get that, but still. People need to learn that they're not actually an kind of minority on the whole.
Nov 20, 2015 8:37 PM

Jun 2015
Zazie122 said:
They mean their religious beliefs.

Its still a minority...?
Nov 20, 2015 8:38 PM

May 2008
kobun said:
Zazie122 said:
They mean their religious beliefs.

Its still a minority...?

I was talking to OP.

And yes, people do that, OP. It's called being a hypocrite.
Nov 20, 2015 8:39 PM

Feb 2013
Nov 20, 2015 8:41 PM
Mar 2011
kobun said:
Zazie122 said:

i love mal logic i really do when i bring up the fact of in the since 9/11 there has been or far right white Terror attacks on us Soil than Arab and more white Terrosim in the pst 40 years in the west then Muslim Arab they say look at world wide basis

but when some in the topic says look world wide it dismissed

#mal logic
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Nov 20, 2015 8:42 PM

Jun 2015
Zazie122 said:
kobun said:

Its still a minority...?

I was talking to OP.

And yes, people do that, OP. It's called being a hypocrite.

Oh ok.
Nov 20, 2015 8:44 PM

Jan 2012
yhunata said:

Nov 20, 2015 8:46 PM

Aug 2009
I guess it depends on where you live... on the internet though idk. I guess it's just the most mainstream.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Nov 20, 2015 8:50 PM

Apr 2014
Anti-Illuminatus said:
Islam's coo

What is cool about it?
Nov 20, 2015 8:53 PM

Jan 2014
well now that's stupid lol

Nov 20, 2015 8:54 PM

Feb 2013
Altairius said:
Anti-Illuminatus said:
Islam's coo

What is cool about it?
bruthahood
Nov 20, 2015 11:15 PM
Jul 2018
Often said:
kobun said:
It doesn't.
MAL is just retarded.
Nov 20, 2015 11:19 PM

Jul 2014
AllenVonStein said:
yhunata said:
Nov 20, 2015 11:33 PM

May 2013
Paella_ said:
someone's triggered

you?
Nov 20, 2015 11:37 PM

Jun 2014
traed said:
This, wth OP?
Zazie122 said:
BlueKite said:

No? Most sources put Christians at 2.2~2.4 billion and muslims at 1.6~1.8 billion. None of those is a "minority" though unless we're referring to specific countries.
Nov 21, 2015 1:04 AM

May 2015
Have you considered that these people may have solid evidence that Islam is a religion of 'murder and mayhem' (extreme expression, but still)?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 21, 2015 1:05 AM

Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Have you considered that these people may have solid evidence that Islam is a religion of 'murder and mayhem' (extreme expression, but still)?

Have you considered that you have always failed to provide any substantial evidence as to how the mainstream Islam can be a religion of murder and mayhem?
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Nov 21, 2015 1:05 AM

Apr 2015
Bernkastel said:
Paella_ said:
someone's triggered
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BlueKite said:
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Nov 21, 2015 1:07 AM
Aug 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:

the problem is whenever people critisize a gender/race/or religion, people knee jerk with a you're a sexist/racist/phobic.

and then they look past any objective evidence on the matter.
Nov 21, 2015 2:19 AM

Apr 2014
geniobastardo said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Have you considered that you have always failed to provide any substantial evidence as to how the mainstream Islam can be a religion of murder and mayhem?

Is this one blocked in your country: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7TAAw3oQvg
Nov 21, 2015 4:08 AM
Mar 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:

Judaism has the JDL but thtere not really covered in the press ni matter how much they do since thee really just the undercoer shock troopd of the ZOG

Nov 21, 2015 4:25 AM

Mar 2014
It doesn't
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 21, 2015 7:00 AM

Mar 2014
Altairius said:
geniobastardo said:

Is this one blocked in your country: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7TAAw3oQvg

No, it's not. And I don't disagree with that guy at all. But then again, I missed the part where Islam was violent, barbaric or whatnot.
~Oscar
[/i]
Nov 21, 2015 7:41 AM

Jan 2015
This happens among atheists too. Most atheists happen to be quite liberal and "progressive" so they never really mention jews or muslims (because they only single out whites, who happen to be mostly Christians). Seriously, look around. Whenever I see internet atheists bashing religion, it's always Christianity. They bring up stupid, untrue and/or exaggerated examples as to why Christianity is bad, like "they caused the most wars", or "they agree with hurting non-religious or homosexual people". For some reason, they don't bash Judaism nor Islam for doing the exact same things Christianity does. Heck, it's even funnier in hindsight, considering both Judaism and Islam happen to be a lot more extreme and ostracizing than Christianity. Jewish people believe they are the chosen ones of God and everyone else is inferior. Atheists have no problem with this. The Ottomans conquered almost 1/3 of the Old World using their religion as an excuse. Atheists rarely or never mention this, even though it's easily on par with the crusades. The most hilarious example is when they bring up the Spanish chasing away the Jews in the 16th century. The Jews did this in the 20th century (Palestine anyone?), but nobody brings up that as an example.

95% of people in Europe, the Americas and Australia are either Christians, or atheists. The rest are the small Jewish and Muslim minorities and the special snowflakes who visited Thailand once in their life and decided to convert to Buddhism. MAL's userbase is mostly European and American (although there are a lot of asians, I don't really see them posting in religious topics), so it's understandable why they use a hyperbole and refer to Christianity as "being religious". As I said before atheists always single out Christians so when a Christian makes a topic about atheists bashing their religion, they have no reason to include other major religions because atheists almost always ignore everything but Christianity. The only times when atheists start bashing islam is when the topic is connected to ISIS or terrorism in general. Most atheists live in America or in Europe, so to them Christianity is a lot more imporant.
Atheists often resort to mocking Christians because they ran out of excuses. Christianity is not like islam, you can't just say "it breeds terrorists" (which is of course, an untrue statement), at best atheists bring up the "believing in a magical existence is for kids" or "but Christianity is so homophobic and racist". I can't be the only one who noticed that when atheists very rarely bash judaism or islam, they can actually bring up examples as to why either of them is bad, but when it's about christianity they always recicle the same stupid statements or start mocking them for no reason. This makes it seem like atheists gang up on and harass christians on purpose. As I said before, most internet atheists happen to be quite liberal, which sadly means they avoid hurting the feelings of muslims or jews (cuz dats racist and they have minority status), but have a grand time personally insulting Christians because they assume they are white.
E.g.
(atheist->muslim) "Your religion promotes violence."
(atheist->christian) "You are stupid for believing in something as homophobic and violent as Christianity."

I guess one could say atheists have a stronger connection to Christianity and that's why the arguments between the two sides happen to be more personal, while they know less about other religions and therefore they try to keep the argument between them and the other believers more shallow/superficial.

Islam happens to be a religion with the highest number of...not completely sane followers, to put it mildly. That's not saying it's the religion's fault, because other factors such as war, education, cultural background and upbringing are very important. I'm pretty sure nobody turns into a gun wielding terrorist after reading the Quran. You either get brainwashed by your parents or someone else, or you suffer a great loss (war) that turns you against the ones who caused your misery (NATO, UN, etc.).

Christians tend to bash Islam because muslim countries happen to be the most dangerous and they don't really care about human rights. People may think the reason for that is because the religion and the state/government are not separated from eachother and it causes religious extremism to have government level power. I don't think there is a country where Christianity and the government are strongly tied, therefore Christian extremism on a government level doesn't exist. Most Christians are not the types who read the Bible every day and flagellate themselves if they said a swearword by accident. They are religious but not as much as some muslims. Islam plays a big role in a muslim's life while most Christians can separate their social life from their religion. This is another thing Christians can criticise islam for.

When you look at YouTube comments (which is a bad idea), you can expect atheists to always turn the discussion into religion bashing. Let's face it, internet atheists start arguments with their insults 99% of the time. They can always turn the otherwise completely unrelated discussion into religious debate. They can say something as simple as "I believe the unicorn in this video exists because I am Christian" and everything goes to shit. I rarely, almost never see these atheists starting islam or judaism bashing on purpose.

TL;DR atheists tend to gang up on Christianity while ignoring other religions so Christians have no reason to include other religions when they are discussing atheism.
ZeesNov 21, 2015 7:47 AM
Nov 21, 2015 9:39 AM

Jan 2014
Szefi said:

Mostly agree with this, but mainly for the Internet.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 21, 2015 9:46 AM

Mar 2015
Hmmm, well technically the word should count for all religions, but I assume Christians are the easier target for people in the western world as they're not as much of a minority etc.

Is it a bit hypocritical of those who mock religion, to only mock one branch, sure, but I guess that branch is withing their comfort zone or whatever.

And yes I can agree that if you're a Christian that bash Islam it's basically the same in many ways, bashing different faiths is bad wether you're Christian, Muslim or Atheist. Or Jewish, or well, you get the idea.
Nov 21, 2015 12:35 PM

May 2015
DateYutaka said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Judaism has the JDL but thtere not really covered in the press ni matter how much they do since thee really just the undercoer shock troopd of the ZOG

Evidence?

@geniobastardo: Well, I could be wrong. I'm not an expert on Islam and all I have are some stuff I found on the internet. I'm saying it's better if we'll address why someone thinks Islam is violent or not, rather than just call him Islamophobic.
Nov 21, 2015 1:08 PM

Jul 2014
Sugoi said:
It doesn't.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Nov 21, 2015 1:10 PM

Aug 2013
Denouncing the current wave of Islamic terrorism isn't ironic or hypocritical. If it were Christian terrorists doing it we'd say the same.
If its ironic that currently Islam is the focus of terror attacks then just blame reality rather than people.

I do offer a reversal, what do you think of the people that have spend years complaining or denouncing Christianity that now turn and offer no criticism towards Islam? why do people fear Islamophobia and feel Islam is beyond questioning but not Christianity.
Nov 21, 2015 1:13 PM

May 2015
Pacifica_Ocean said:
Denouncing the current wave of Islamic terrorism isn't ironic or hypocritical. If it were Christian terrorists doing it we'd say the same.
If its ironic that currently Islam is the focus of terror attacks then just blame reality rather than people.

I do offer a reversal, what do you think of the people that have spend years complaining or denouncing Christianity that now turn and offer no criticism towards Islam?

Hypocrites, every letter gets double capitalization.
Nov 21, 2015 1:56 PM

Apr 2014
geniobastardo said:
Altairius said:

No, it's not. And I don't disagree with that guy at all. But then again, I missed the part where Islam was violent, barbaric or whatnot.

Don't be difficult. Do you think the believers don't represent the religion, or do you think that death for adultery, honor killings and the like aren't barbaric?

I'll assume the former for now. In that case, who is to say their version of Islam is wrong? Is it not a problem within the text that it's so widely, easily misunderstood? If I'm not mistaken, the Quran says on multiple occasions that it is perfectly clear in itself.
Nov 21, 2015 2:30 PM
Sep 2015
i don't know
most people who bash any religion doesn't do it openly because they'll be the nut jobs so they spread their hate propaganda on the internet where their fellow nut job would agree plus they are anonymous so they aren't afraid to get hurt.
Nov 21, 2015 2:31 PM

Feb 2013
It doesn't but that is the biggest one.
Nov 21, 2015 10:02 PM

Mar 2014
Altairius said:

Don't be difficult. Do you think the believers don't represent the religion, or do you think that death for adultery, honor killings and the like aren't barbaric?

I'll assume the former for now. In that case, who is to say their version of Islam is wrong? Is it not a problem within the text that it's so widely, easily misunderstood? If I'm not mistaken, the Quran says on multiple occasions that it is perfectly clear in itself.

I'd have accepted that Muslims represented Islam if:
1. There were no sects.
2. Even 80% of the Muslims understood the Quran.

Right now, with all these surveys, I'd pay you as much as you want me to just to do a survey in your own town. You only have to go around and ask the Muslims in your vicinity these two questions:
1. Have you read the Quran?
2. Do you understand it?

I support death for adultery. Honor killings is a form of Shirk in Islam after Surah-an-Na'am. And shirk, as Quran puts it, is 'worse than killing'. The Quran is not misunderstood when it's not even read in the first place.
~Oscar
[/i]
Nov 22, 2015 3:24 AM
Aug 2015
For example the terroriste groupe Bocco Haram wich is considerdered leaded bi ISIS is burning Mosquees all the time the last time they did 5 muslims died will praying, so how fucking dumb-ass u need to be to think these assholes are muslims .
1 killing innocents is haram in islam
2 resepecting other religions is a must in islam
3 all form of lives are respected in islam
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 22, 2015 12:50 PM

Apr 2014
geniobastardo said:
Altairius said:

I'd have accepted that Muslims represented Islam if:
1. There were no sects.
2. Even 80% of the Muslims understood the Quran.

Right now, with all these surveys, I'd pay you as much as you want me to just to do a survey in your own town. You only have to go around and ask the Muslims in your vicinity these two questions:
1. Have you read the Quran?
2. Do you understand it?

I support death for adultery. Honor killings is a form of Shirk in Islam after Surah-an-Na'am. And shirk, as Quran puts it, is 'worse than killing'. The Quran is not misunderstood when it's not even read in the first place.

I find it strange that the perfectly clear Quran is profoundly misunderstood by 80% of Muslims.

Do you have a strong, fundamental feeling that adultery is worthy of death, or is it a largely dispassionate thing caused by the fact that Allah wills it?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

43 by LordSozin »»
15 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

31 by Kushna »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

28 by hypergoob »»
29 minutes ago

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

44 by Kiryotsu »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

20 by blueblur »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.