Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 21, 2015 11:26 AM
Oct 2015
So, is anyone else as disappointed with this season of Haikyuu as I am? After taking over a year off you would think they would just try to dive into the action, but in 3 episodes we haven't had a legit match as of yet.

Seriously, you take off all this time then come at me with a home work episode? Who the hell cares about home work and tests in anime? I thought this was about some awesome ass volleyball, but I guess I was wrong...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 21, 2015 11:28 AM

Jul 2013
High school sports aren't just about playing games.
Oct 21, 2015 11:32 AM

Jul 2012
I'm glad this show isn't as lame as yowamushi pedal or baby steps' sequels where the pacing went erratic.

So no, this season of HQ has been lovely.
Oct 21, 2015 11:34 AM

Nov 2012
no, it's still gr8
Oct 21, 2015 1:45 PM
Oct 2015
Kruzy said:

But this isn't high school. It's an anime...which is meant to be entertaining.

Episodes about doing home work are not entertaining.

Going 3 episodes without a volleyball match, in a volley ball anime after coming back from a year hiatus is not entertaining.
Oct 21, 2015 1:50 PM

Mar 2013
What are you talking about? It has been great.
Oct 21, 2015 1:52 PM
Aug 2012
Not entertaining for me =/= Anime sucks. Please the anime wasn't made for you specifically.

The character interaction and comedy is great, the ost is awesome and we are having matches soon (maybe the next episode). The build up and SOL scenes add to the characters and the pacing is fine.

TBH Haikyuu and Ace of Diamond gives me similar feels to older sports anime like Slam Dunk which is an added bonus.

Oct 21, 2015 3:12 PM

Mar 2009
Err, what? It's been amazing.
Oct 21, 2015 3:26 PM

Jul 2013
eaglekaratechop said:
Kruzy said:

Going 3 episodes without a volleyball match, in a volley ball anime after coming back from a year hiatus is not entertaining.

It's an anime about a bunch of high schoolers playing sports and no where would they allow their players to fail the tests just so they can play.
These episodes so far have been showing that the characters are really serious about their hobbies and would do anything just to play some matches and get better.
You find them to not be entertaining but I think that shows where the characters are only playing are far less entertaining because we know really little about the players.
It's also not a "hiatus" and it could have started right away but you would have gotten even less games. It just shows that the writer treats his characters as actual high schoolers and not just volley ball muscle heads.
Oct 21, 2015 6:22 PM

Jan 2010
mirana said:
Oct 21, 2015 6:23 PM

Jul 2012
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
TBH Haikyuu and Ace of Diamond gives me similar feels to older sports anime like Slam Dunk which is an added bonus.
same. i like the natural/classic route they're both taking. HQ is like a classic sports anime but enhanced EVERYTHING. and somehow each episode is paced perfectly.
Oct 21, 2015 10:29 PM
Nov 2014
Gotta agree with everyone. Season two is on point so far...
Oct 21, 2015 11:09 PM

May 2008
It's not like season one was super fast-paced, either, IIRC. Season two is the same and I love it.

Also, was totally expecting to come into this thread to find Yachi hate. I'm glad I didn't find Yachi hate, because Yachi is great.
Oct 22, 2015 12:32 AM

Oct 2007
Kruzy said:
eaglekaratechop said:

It's an anime about a bunch of high schoolers playing sports and no where would they allow their players to fail the tests just so they can play.

I think OP's problem lies in the fact that the players can't just be smart enough to pass them without having to spend time showing them studying.
Oct 22, 2015 2:31 AM

Feb 2014
OP is a moron. This is a straight continuation from the events of the first season. You cant have constant action. Season two has been on point introducing new challenges and characters. If you do the exact same thing over and over it will get stale.
Oct 22, 2015 2:41 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
=_=

Yes because if Haikyuu was literally nothing but volleyball games it would be such a good anime, right?

Please don't be an idiot
Oct 22, 2015 2:58 AM

Aug 2015
You can't have matches every episode because there is a thing called 'character development'.
Oct 22, 2015 5:52 AM

Dec 2013
Mate.
1. This was not a hiatus.
2. Watch real life volleyball on youtube If all you want are matches.
3. So if this is an anime in high school why are you complaining if they have to go through highschool things.
4. You honestly haven't seen many anime if u think character development isnt entertainment and all u want are matches.
If you made your account this month I'm sure your new to anime and if u are then u shouldn't claim an anime is "shit" because ur own tastes
Oct 22, 2015 6:08 AM

Apr 2015
Haven't watched Haikyuu but aren't sports anime more entertaining if you watch all episodes at once? Waiting for weekly releases can sometimes decrease the watching experience. Thus OP might have watch Haikyuu S1 after it finished and now watching while releasing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2015 6:48 AM

Mar 2013
isn't it too early to say that ? :O

You can't expect to see hard-action matches at the beginning

And it is so good so far ^^

Be patient
Oct 22, 2015 11:02 AM

Jun 2008
Dude, they will get to the matches eventually.
Oct 22, 2015 11:05 AM

Apr 2011
Kruzy said:

Shiratorizawa would probably excuse Ushijima, though that's probably the only case scenario where a student who failed his exams would still be allowed to play.
Oct 22, 2015 11:16 AM

Jul 2015
NO
Oct 22, 2015 11:19 AM

Mar 2012
Part of the appeal of Haikyuu for me is that ISN'T all about volleyball. I mean, it mostly is, but the moments that aren't contain that genuine slice of life-like element that make the characters even more relatable to. I guess what I like is that it isn't all about the volleyball matches, but also the general progression of the characters through additional practices and other outside aspects that demonstrate the characters' passion for volleyball.

Plus, there'll be plenty of matches in the future. If you resume off of season one, the match against Aoba Josei was fairly recent episode count-wise.
Oct 22, 2015 11:25 AM

Jul 2011
WickedHeroine said:
mirana said:

This
Oct 22, 2015 1:46 PM

May 2010
Pls. As if eagles can karate chop.
Oct 22, 2015 1:50 PM

Jun 2012
Same kind of logic stupid Berserk fans are using. Having a break or hiatus doesn't magically move the story forwards. Why would episode 1 be badass volleyball matches? not every episode should be playing volleyball otherwise it would get boring. It's good getting to know the characters, it makes the games mean more to me as well.

Hinata squaring up to that guy was hype enough. And having to pass the exams is a real problem and again helps build their character and helps them bond with the new manager.

Season 2 has been perfect so far for me.
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Oct 22, 2015 3:53 PM
Oct 2015
Onyaga said:
Mate.
3. So if this is an anime in high school why are you complaining if they have to go through highschool things.
4. You honestly haven't seen many anime if u think character development isnt entertainment and all u want are matches.
If you made your account this month I'm sure your new to anime and if u are then u shouldn't claim an anime is "shit" because ur own tastes

1. Hiatus/ Season Break. Apples/Oranges.

2. Real life volleyball is boring.

3. Because highschool in real life is also boring. Homework is boring. Studying is boring. No one does homework or studies for fun; they do it because they want to advance themselves. Why focus on the parts of high school that no one even liked to begin with? Why can't someone have to deal with a bully or work up the guts to confront their crush? Just why not anything outside of homework!?

4. I've only made my account now but I'm far from new to anime. I grew up with freaking Speed Racer and Astro Boy. I'm hard pressed to believe you've seen even half as much as I have.

eXtacy67 said:
OP is a moron. This is a straight continuation from the events of the first season. You cant have constant action. Season two has been on point introducing new challenges and characters. If you do the exact same thing over and over it will get stale.

You're right, you can't have constant action. No one is asking for that. I'm asking for something more interesting then HOMEWORK!
eaglekaratechopOct 22, 2015 4:01 PM
Oct 22, 2015 3:54 PM
Oct 2015
TragicRomance said:
Pls. As if eagles can karate chop.

Caw!!
Oct 22, 2015 6:38 PM

Feb 2009
Personally, I have been loving it. Haikyuu is just as much about the characters as it is about the volleyball.
Oct 22, 2015 7:36 PM

Jul 2010
Dude, I think you missed the point of what a good sports anime is.
It can't be all matches and no character development, plus how do you expect for the new characters to be introduced?
Haikyuu! is doing great so far and there will be matches after all it has some plot if you want only the sport try to watch real volleyball matches.
Let's not mention that you can't say on the base of 3 episodes that the whole seasons sucks or will suck.

Oct 22, 2015 9:35 PM

Apr 2011
What....?
Fantastic start to the season and a developing plot to it. Can't wait to see how it folds out.
Oct 22, 2015 9:51 PM

Feb 2015
only you dude..

Oct 22, 2015 10:28 PM

Jun 2011
You're watching it the wrong way dude.

Edit: But seriously though, this is less of a sports, but more of a comedy. Just watching it for the sports isn't the right way to go, which was what I did and as a result I couldn't enjoy season 1 all that much. Not that it's guaranteed you will enjoy season 2 more, but yea.
ToG25thBaamOct 22, 2015 10:31 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 23, 2015 12:21 AM

Jan 2014
eaglekaratechop said:

I believe every piece of entertainment was made to be entertaining but you can't expect all of them to be entertaining for you. Some might not be good enough and saying that they're suck just because you're not entertained enough is uncalled for.
There's actually a good balance of SoL, comedy and matches. You'll get the matches later and they won't be disappointing. For now, you'll get stuck in the SoL and comedy bits.
About the hiatus, it's a strategic hiatus to let the source material progresses further and there's nothing wrong with that.

Oct 23, 2015 1:39 PM

Aug 2014
It's not all about action, the first 3 episodes was great because it was used for introducting the new character (which was also nicely done), the action is coming soon but you shouldn't expect it to fill a majority of the show.
Oct 26, 2015 8:23 PM

Jul 2014
So far, this season is better than the first IMO.
Oct 27, 2015 12:10 AM

Mar 2012
This is why we can't have nice things.
Oct 27, 2015 12:51 AM

Oct 2013
It does feel very different from season 1. It feels more like a SoL anime than a sports anime, so I can understand why some people will be put off. I have noticed some people who liked season 1 have dropped season 2.

If you are in it for the volleyball matches they will come a bit later.

The manga has recently been nothing but back-to-back matches. The studying stuff was the only lull from volleyball there has ever been in the entirety of haikyuu and that just happens to be the point where s2 starts off from. The normal school life stuff has never been a huge part of the story at all. Most of the time they are on the court.
starrybeeOct 27, 2015 1:05 AM
Oct 27, 2015 2:13 AM
Oct 2010
I'm glad honestly, there's way too many matches in sports anime and not enough downtime to build the characters up a little more. Kuroko lost my interest coming down to the end when they had something like a 7 episode match or some nonsense. Ace of Diamond is the same, a lot of matches and a lot of episodes for those matches. Matches need to be the high points of the series, not the series itself.
Oct 27, 2015 12:44 PM

Jun 2014
Makes so much sense to judge a 2-cour series based on the first 4 episodes right.
Nov 6, 2015 4:36 PM

Jul 2011
babymimi said:
Makes so much sense to judge a 2-cour series based on the first 4 episodes right.

Pfff, there are people who judge stuff with 200+ episodes based solely in the first 2 ones, at least 4 episodes of 25 seems more realistic.
Nov 7, 2015 9:14 AM
Mar 2015
eaglekaratechop said:
So, is anyone else as disappointed with this season of Haikyuu as I am? After taking over a year off you would think they would just try to dive into the action, but in 3 episodes we haven't had a legit match as of yet.

Seriously, you take off all this time then come at me with a home work episode? Who the hell cares about home work and tests in anime? I thought this was about some awesome ass volleyball, but I guess I was wrong...

For me it's great - but you can't show everything at start (first episode is what they can show at the crucial point) - you know, important matches in Spring Cup will be very good, now Hinata will improve, same with Nishinoya and other most likely.

A lot to see, you can't count season because theres more action than volleyball - it would be boring too. If you want to see volleyball matches only, go watch them on TV ^^
Nov 7, 2015 11:24 AM

Mar 2015
I actually really like how Haikyuu is spending the time to develop the setting and each character's backgrounds and internal struggles. What did you expect? Them to suddenly play with no difficulties whatsoever and just always win? Them to be able to play every possible game when spending no time realizing the problems with their abilities and/or others'?
That's one of the reasons I love Haikyuu, because the character's are extremely palpable and relatable; it actually spends time on the characters enough so that after one fight, the whole fandom is crying which wouldn't happen if you didn't understand where both Hinata and Kageyama were coming from and their personal backgrounds and struggles.

Also, when it's nothing but action. I feel as if they are just dragging the game out now unnecessarily...
Especially when there is no time spent on the characters improving or fixing their struggles, it's basically just like watching a game on repeat with nothing new happening. It's actually extremely realistic that they are spending time on things other than a game. They are in high school after all, and by building up the suspense, it eventually works in the long run and it would be a shame if you quit before then just because the creators wanted to develop and show the improvement throughout the characters.
Nov 7, 2015 11:44 AM

Mar 2014
What does a year off have to do with anything, it's still following the manga

And the matches work BECAUSE we have well developed characters

If I don't care for the characters I wouldn't care for their matches either
Nov 7, 2015 1:47 PM

Apr 2011
TBH you sound like a hater but whatever.
Nov 20, 2015 7:34 PM

Jul 2012
tryfdhghg
Cty Best mid
Nov 20, 2015 7:41 PM

Aug 2012
Maverik said:
You can't have matches every episode because there is a thing called 'character development'.
Nov 21, 2015 1:48 PM

Jul 2014
Nomss said:
Maverik said:

For example the latest episode was one of the best ones of the whole fall season.
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Nov 21, 2015 1:53 PM
Jul 2013
Onyaga said:
Mate.

you executed him with 4
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2016

252 by egeD19 »»
Apr 4, 7:44 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2016

130 by iamsnakeuu »»
Apr 3, 11:36 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2015

111 by iamsnakeuu »»
Apr 3, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

111 by iamsnakeuu »»
Mar 16, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2015

110 by iamsnakeuu »»
Mar 16, 7:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.