Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Asterisk War (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 3, 2015 6:32 PM

Apr 2014
pretty much fine nothing special at first moment.
Oct 3, 2015 6:43 PM

Feb 2015
nothing special for the first episode. the male mc reminds me of tsuda takatoshi from seitokai yakuindomo.
Oct 3, 2015 7:04 PM

Feb 2014
When. Is. This. Shit. Going. To. Stop.

I keep watching to shows to see if they get better later on but jesus christ, they are all the same. eh. At least this one looks pretty. Time to see how long I can bear with this.
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Oct 3, 2015 7:12 PM

Apr 2013
No wonder why i liked this so much, it's exactly like Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry... even though i watched this first, i read the manga for Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry first xD

Oct 3, 2015 7:17 PM

Jan 2011
boy watching this and Rakudai in the same day is kinda hard especially for a the first episode lol

but i really want to know how and why this has a split cour and a game coming out there has to be something special about it right?!

at least it looks nice and the ED i think was great, no wonder i like the character designs same guy that worked on Plastic Memories
Oct 3, 2015 7:33 PM

Oct 2014
What have they done to Ayato? I only read vol.1 of the LN and it was quite some time ago, but I am pretty sure that Ayato was not THAT much such a passive type of MC in his interaction with girls (at least he wasn't embarassed ONLY because of seeing a girls, but also about gaining a bad reputation as a "peeping tom" on his first day at the school)... I just don't see a point in emphasizing this Japanese characteristic of "being humble" so much here, espacially his VA emphasized it even stronger...

Aside from that and the background CGI at times, the first episode was actually OK.
Oct 3, 2015 7:33 PM

May 2015
EasyGo-er said:
Xenocrisi said:

We are talking about A-1 Pictures, I don't think so.

Lol. It's always the case with A-1. All of their PVs and the first few episodes looked awesome but then started to drop in quality in the middle of the season most of the time. Maybe it won't be too noticeable in this with its budget and being a split-cour.

A-1 has a bad tendency to animate too many shows at a time. I believe they had about nine shows going on when SAO II aired (forget which season in 2014 it was). When that happens, inevitably one of them doesn't sell well and the rest of the shows suffer.

Hope that doesn't happen to this show, though. The animation is the only reason I'm watching. It's generic trash, but it's good generic trash. The closest analogy I could think of is getting served a Big Mac at a Michelin star restaurant.
Oct 3, 2015 7:46 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Generic and cliched.

But I like the concept and animation, better than I expected.

Quite enjoyable.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Oct 3, 2015 7:46 PM

Aug 2015
As much as what other people are saying, it's still pretty enjoyable even though it's generic at it's finest hoping that it may lower down next episode, the animation and art, and the OP already sold me on this one, and also there's definitely a reason why this series is 2 cour in the first place so maybe this may get interesting in the future episodes. Can't wait for the next episode and have a discussion on a clean thread.
Oct 3, 2015 7:48 PM

Mar 2013
Well, this is generic so far, just in a different setting...

Sure the art is great, I guess. I'll watch a couple more episodes to see how it goes, but...I probably won't continue it if it doesn't get any better.
KilikcliaOct 3, 2015 7:54 PM
Oct 3, 2015 9:03 PM
Jul 2012
Light saber battles the animation.
Oct 3, 2015 9:38 PM

Mar 2011
Pretty meh so far. At least the action scenes were entertaining and the light sabers certainly are a plus. The characters are generic and bleh so far. I was hoping the MC would at least be likable like Ikki in Rakudai but I guess not. By three episodes if this doesn't improve and retain my interest, then I'm dropping this.
BlaizeOct 3, 2015 10:01 PM
Oct 3, 2015 9:53 PM

Jul 2013
HOLY SHIT A1 THANK YOU !!

See JC STAFF ? Thats how you make the LN readers happy !
Oct 3, 2015 9:54 PM
May 2015
The music and animation was SOLID! And the opening was FANTASTIC!

Claudia is best girl so far
for some reason she remind me of Cecilia from Infinite Stratos
Oct 3, 2015 10:09 PM

Dec 2009
Lolol all the comments are way opposite what i expected to see..
You pricks are pretty sour these days aren't you?

This series is already planned for 2 seasons (cours), and the feel this show started off with, there's a lot of promise, and it's worth the hype. Finally a finally a sturdy looking show in in a magic duelling environment.

While this could easily turn around and just do ecchi stuff, this start has demonstrated strong character in Julis, and implying much bigger things to come. The plot outline on paper is definitely pretty standard looking, but everyone is ignoring the presentation; even if the plot is standard, this could be the one that the rest tried to be but weren't. (ps: those lightsaber sounds, are they even allowed to do that? XD)

There is a lot of potential here, and it looks like it could honestly pull through. Remember, tropes are tools. A good story is one people enjoy, originality is irrelevant. ;)

LittleCr0wxx said:
Because she's the same archetype ofc.

I also stand by the statement that complainers should stop the lemmingfest and go somewhere else where you aren't complaining that someone's story isn't good enough for you. Discuss or don't. Stop whining. Anime is made for japan, not for whatever culture you live in.
Have you forgotten that anime are often products based on material not created solely for product? The original authors write the stories they want to write, ones they enjoy and want to share for others to enjoy, and sometimes get lucky and have an anime made for it.
GenesisAriaOct 3, 2015 10:35 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Oct 3, 2015 10:22 PM
No Drop Hell

Sep 2011
I was honestly expecting a bit more after all the hype and the split-cour announcement. It wasn't disappointing, per say, but it did feel a little flat. There must be something bigger down the line to justify it.

Oh, and nice ass shots.
Oct 3, 2015 10:25 PM

Feb 2012
Although it is generic, I still find it entertaining. Will continue watching this.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Oct 3, 2015 10:28 PM

Apr 2013
Grey-Zone said:
What have they done to Ayato? I only read vol.1 of the LN and it was quite some time ago, but I am pretty sure that Ayato was not THAT much such a passive type of MC in his interaction with girls (at least he wasn't embarassed ONLY because of seeing a girls, but also about gaining a bad reputation as a "peeping tom" on his first day at the school)... I just don't see a point in emphasizing this Japanese characteristic of "being humble" so much here, espacially his VA emphasized it even stronger...

Aside from that and the background CGI at times, the first episode was actually OK.

They are trying to sell this in Japan...so yeah...
As of 27/7/14 I have decided trap anime Sword Art Online II has more appeal than Mahouka.
Oct 3, 2015 10:35 PM
Nov 2013
Cute girls, will keep watching even though I feel like I've seen this half a dozen times before already
Oct 3, 2015 10:35 PM

Apr 2013
GenesisAria said:
Lolol all the comments are way opposite what i expected to see..
You pricks are pretty sour these days aren't you?

This series is already planned for 2 seasons (cours), and the feel this show started off with, there's a lot of promise, and it's worth the hype. Finally a finally a sturdy looking show in in a magic duelling environment.

While this could easily turn around and just do ecchi stuff, this start has demonstrated strong character in Julis, and implying much bigger things to come. The plot outline on paper is definitely pretty standard looking, but everyone is ignoring the presentation; even if the plot is standard, this could be the one that the rest tried to be but weren't. (ps: those lightsaber sounds, are they even allowed to do that? XD)

There is a lot of potential here, and it looks like it could honestly pull through. Remember, tropes are tools. A good story is one people enjoy, originality is irrelevant. ;)

LittleCr0wxx said:
Because she's the same archetype ofc.

I also stand by the statement that complainers should stop the lemmingfest and go somewhere else where you aren't complaining that someone's story isn't good enough for you. Discuss or don't. Stop whining.
Have you forgotten that anime are often products based on material not created solely for product? The original authors write the stories they want to write, ones they enjoy and want to share for others to enjoy, and sometimes get lucky and have an anime made for it.

This!

Just reading all the people saying generic this..generic that...is becoming generic.
As of 27/7/14 I have decided trap anime Sword Art Online II has more appeal than Mahouka.
Oct 3, 2015 10:45 PM

Dec 2014
That ogre lux looks cool.

And Touyama Nao voices Claudia?
Doesn't sound like her... :)
Oct 3, 2015 11:18 PM

Feb 2014
Pretty horrid first episode.
Oct 3, 2015 11:23 PM

Jan 2015
LOL.Some people actually defend this garbage
Rance X is A GOAT.
Oct 3, 2015 11:31 PM

Jul 2012
trash.

even atsushi tamaru can't save this.

will give it 1 more episode before dropping
Oct 3, 2015 11:35 PM

Dec 2009
barthos said:
LOL.Some people actually defend this garbage
I don't defend shows, i defend anime as a whole, because there's more good in the shows made today than anyone gives the time of day to see. Too much nostalgia vision, too much of being unfamiliar with interests and trends of another culture. Watch anime as one of the target audience, or leave and don't be the target audience.

More of what people like and want isn't a bad thing. You're not the majority.

fear80 said:
Just reading all the people saying generic this..generic that...is becoming generic.
Becoming? It was stale ages ago lol.

GenesisAria said:
From what i've seen, it really seems like the anime companies intentionally release parallel series within the same season often. I'd assume this would be to cultivate enthusiasm and competition amongst anime watchers... Which is quite ingenious at heart really. Read more
GenesisAriaOct 3, 2015 11:43 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Oct 4, 2015 12:51 AM

Jan 2013
There have been quite a few anime like this. Filled with cliches, but still not a bad first episode. I don't know if it will hold up.
Oct 4, 2015 12:57 AM

May 2010
Too much information in this episode.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Oct 4, 2015 1:16 AM

Jul 2015
Very generic and cliched. Seems to be trying to appeal to EVERYONE in one go. Got a sports anime (which is a future pretend sport), got a club anime (this is practically just a club anime like Girls Und Panzer but with swords and shit), a harem anime (every character shown but him is a female in the ED, near enough), an ecchi anime (so many boobs and panty shorts in just the first episode), a romance anime (since he's clearing going to melt the Princess's icy heart) and just a bullshit "OP main character" anime.

First episode gets a solid 5/10. An average score for an anime with no ideas of its own.

....oh, and of course they stuck in a pool of blood too because people seem to keep bitching about there not being blood in anime, so it's going for those fans too. This just makes it tonally weird.
ThatDarnIrishManOct 4, 2015 1:19 AM
Oct 4, 2015 1:53 AM

Jul 2014
Pretty epic song at the end! Had some nice bg soundtracks too and the art is also pretty nice :o won't be getting my hopes up, but the music will definitely be keeping me here for the next episode at least!
Oct 4, 2015 1:56 AM

Jul 2014
Doesn't seem especially special so far, but for a show of this sort it's definitely one of the better ones (much better than Absolute Duo or Sky Wizards Academy, at the very least). And hopefully because it's two seasons the plot might actually get somewhere in one of these for once.

OP's pretty good as well.
Oct 4, 2015 2:29 AM

Feb 2012
blazehero said:
I'm sure this has been pointed out, but this is unbelieveably similar to Rakudai kishi no cavalry. I seriously felt like I was watching the same thing twice.

Princesses, fire magic, tsundere attitudes, underwear within 5 minutes.

I hope they distinguish themselves from each other.
My same exact thoughts. At least the mc in cavalry handles the ecchi scenes like a man.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2015 3:07 AM

Oct 2013
I've watched this anime like 10 times already....

Seriously, its so fucking generic I feel like i've seen it already and im rewatching.

So boring, so much cliche, only the fan-service is good. But the anime so far seems just too stupid and uninteresting for it to be worth the time...

Worst 1st episode (this season) I've watched so far tbh....
I am a human.
Oct 4, 2015 3:23 AM

May 2011
I quite liked the LN this anime came from. IMO its definitely a grade above the usual high school fantasy battle series, and it doesn't hurt that the production values look pretty good. And Claudia is definitely best girl
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to give out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
Oct 4, 2015 3:30 AM
Jul 2018
Xenocrisi said:
Well, that was amazing.

Exactly.
Oct 4, 2015 5:10 AM

Jul 2014
blazehero said:
I'm sure this has been pointed out, but this is unbelieveably similar to Rakudai kishi no cavalry. I seriously felt like I was watching the same thing twice.

They already did distinguish themselves from eachother.

In Cavalry, the heroine already apologized to the MC and became his servant, which will develop into a real romance.

Asterisk will continue plowing generic waters in search of more opportunities for male castration "comedy"
Red_TuesdayOct 4, 2015 5:32 AM
Oct 4, 2015 5:33 AM

Nov 2011
Mediocre.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Oct 4, 2015 5:36 AM
Aug 2012
Red_Tuesday said:
blazehero said:

In Cavalry, the heroine already apologized to the MC and became his servant, which will develop into a real romance.

Asterisk will continue plowing generic waters in search of more opportunities for male castration "comedy"

Sorry about disappointing you but it won't..........especially not after the first volume.

How about you Rakudai fags reads the source for Asterisk before continuing to spew nonsense and false information on both threads.

Oh before you want to say something, i am a fan of both.

Oct 4, 2015 5:54 AM

Aug 2012
Well.. at least the visuals and ost are amazing.
Oct 4, 2015 6:04 AM

Jun 2009
Generic as fuck. I dont think I can watch this weekly; gonna put this on hold for now.

Oct 4, 2015 6:07 AM

Nov 2011
Well, that wasn't unique.

Oct 4, 2015 6:21 AM
Apr 2015
Mainstream, but it was cool:v
Oct 4, 2015 6:59 AM

Mar 2013
Ooo I liked Claudia.

Dunno why, I don't like this type seasonal anime but can't hate and watch it either for some reason.
Oct 4, 2015 7:33 AM

Apr 2011
Looks nice. Interesting first episode.
Oct 4, 2015 7:33 AM

May 2012
Good episode. I didn't know that this had 2nd season planned
Oct 4, 2015 7:41 AM

Jul 2015
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Red_Tuesday said:

Sorry about disappointing you but it won't..........especially not after the first volume.

How about you Rakudai fags reads the source for Asterisk before continuing to spew nonsense and false information on both threads.

Oh before you want to say something, i am a fan of both.

Would you mind spoil a little what happens after the first volume of the novel? There aren't many chapters in the manga avaliable.
Oct 4, 2015 8:06 AM
Aug 2012
eslej said:
Would you mind spoil a little what happens after the first volume of the novel? There aren't many chapters in the manga avaliable.

I sent you a pm about some of the later events........it only gets better each volume.

Oct 4, 2015 8:10 AM

Oct 2008
Like what everyone's saying, there's a lot of cliches in here.

I didn't like the fanservice. But other than that I found it somewhat enjoyable. Story reminds me of Machine Doll wa Kizutsukanai.

I broke out in laughter when I saw that guy's name was MacPhail. Of course he's going to fail every time he duels Julis :9
Oct 4, 2015 8:16 AM

Sep 2013
Tsundere spotted!!

A lot of generic elements in this series; the premise, the characters, everything. I can already tell this is adapted from a light novel. Light novels seems to be plagued with stories like this but at least I dont see magic circles lol. Why do they keep adapting LN like this..oh wait, its because guys like me keep watching -.-
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Oct 4, 2015 9:00 AM

Nov 2011
As a start I would not say that I was impressed that much, narrative is similar to many other anime of its kind. Discrete drawings and animations, you notice the quality fielded by A1 Pictures. Too garish colors in the sets, I hope that the best plot in the future.
Oct 4, 2015 9:26 AM

Nov 2012
Exactly what I expected from this.

Been a while since I've seen a generic magic battle academy harem anime and decided on this one instead of Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry (which seem cancerous).

Main reason I'm actually watching since is cause I ptr the LNs at one point but never got to them so rather watch it now instead of reading them.

Maybe it's cause I haven't seen one of these type of anime in a while but this one was actually somewhat enjoyable/watchable.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

202 by Dennywibu »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2015

116 by POLYTRON2K »»
Dec 28, 2023 11:23 PM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2015

180 by Gutzdeep42 »»
May 29, 2023 5:17 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2015

122 by Arlindox0 »»
Feb 27, 2023 5:20 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2015

220 by Azuki_Sayashi »»
Feb 17, 2023 7:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.