Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 25, 2015 6:51 PM

Apr 2009
razor007 said:
Corazon...Corazon...Corazon

These are the one piece flash backs!!!

all of them are sad and i really loved them.

after robin and brook stories, now the law story went to end.

this is the most favorite one piece flash backs in my opinion.

i love the luffy/sabo/ace ones more but these are amazing xd
PrimeX said:
Damn Doffy's so cruel... I like it! But I'll like it even more when I see his mangled face after Luffy beats the shit out of him. He probably won't die though because Oda's lenient and all that.

i dont think he is? whitebeard xd ace?
Aug 26, 2015 6:45 AM
Jul 2015
razor007 said:
Corazon...Corazon...Corazon

These are the one piece flash backs!!!

all of them are sad and i really loved them.

after robin and brook stories, now the law story went to end.

this is the most favorite one piece flash backs in my opinion.

don't forget about hiluluk and choppe's backstoryr as well,

when the cries of law echoes the island, a great character have departed
Aug 26, 2015 11:50 AM
Jan 2014
When Law saw corazon's body from the chest and started crying and we saw a flashback of Cora saying 'I Love you'.
Right in the feels
Aug 28, 2015 7:12 AM

Jan 2012
Rip hero of one piece , sadly getting killed by one of your own family members .

Aug 28, 2015 10:06 PM

Dec 2013
DEM FEELS!!!

Absolutely loved this flashback :)
Aug 29, 2015 9:53 AM

Mar 2010
Another good episode.. They had more bad luck than good.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Aug 30, 2015 2:55 AM

Dec 2014
The episode was awesome! Haven't cried in a long time for a character that i knew was going to die. While reading the manga i knew he was gonna die and i still cried. Anime just made the chapter waaaaaaaaaaaay better IMO! Just hope they animate blah blah blah nicely as well. Lol
Thinking.....
Sep 3, 2015 8:37 AM

Oct 2009
Corazon!! RIP :{

One Piece drying up all my feels again..
Sep 5, 2015 2:15 AM

Apr 2013
Are the flashbacks now over? I thought we would get a deeper view into Doffy's past, we only saw some short flashbacks of that.
Sep 7, 2015 7:51 AM

Jun 2015
I think that with this we can return to the main arc, not bad flasback
Sep 7, 2015 10:36 AM

Apr 2009
Don't know why people complain about flashbacks. They're almost always amazing. This is no exception, this episode in particular may be the best of any flashback. A touching and heartrendingly tragic episode. Every moment of it was superb but that ending with Corazon in the snow, the beautiful song, Law's grief. Blew me away.

700+ episodes in an One Piece can still be this good.

Now I'm really excited to get back to the current story line!
Sep 9, 2015 9:05 AM

Jul 2013
Thank God (Usopp) Toei didn't f*** this up...

I think this was one of the best flashbacks. It's ironic how one bad coincidence put Law and Corazon into trouble (Law meeting Vergo) and another coincidence saved Law's life (the Marines taking X-Drake under their wing).
Sep 17, 2015 1:46 AM
Dec 2011
Wow I'm surprised by the flashback and I though Oda lost his touch,
definitely one of the best flashback in the series.
Sep 19, 2015 9:30 PM

Jan 2014
I was sure the feels wouldn't get to me after hearing ahead of time about the flashback, but it was done so well.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 3, 2015 3:53 PM

Jan 2011
rip corozan
Oct 13, 2015 8:56 PM

Jul 2009
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CORA-SAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(TT^TT)

HOLY JESUS. i mean I know this was coming, BUT HOLY SHIT. I'm in TEARS. That was even more beautiful than I expected, AND THAT OST AS CORA-SAN WAS DYING. OMG.
Oct 20, 2015 12:32 PM

Jan 2013
M0nkeyD_Luffy said:
Beautiful episode with one of the most impactful and poignant endings I've ever seen!

R.I.P Rocinante! (5/5)

Agreed, Rosinante / Cora was a great character to follow, even if these were just flashbacks.
Been a while since I got so infested into a side-character in One Piece.

; _ ;
Oct 28, 2015 7:10 AM
Feb 2011
Oh goddamit, I saw it coming and still the tears were unstoppable. I love how when Cora finally gave up his last breath, Law's cries faded in in the midst of the cannon blasts. That was really strong. The soundtrack was great. Oda, you done it again. And thank you Toei for not ruining that scene.
Jan 2, 2016 1:17 PM

Jun 2015
Couldn't feel this backstory that, but still the ending was sad.

Backstories of luff's crew mate were more emotional imo.
Apr 15, 2016 10:16 PM

Jan 2011
Incredible episode.
Loved the use of Corazon's powers in this and how impactful it was that rather than show the exact moment he died, you can HEAR law start crying and that's the moment he's gone. Very emotional.

This whole story of Law and Corazon is not long but it is one of the most emotional backstories in my opinion.
May 13, 2016 12:00 AM

Apr 2010
"I love you." That's where it got me. Incredible use of that movie track too.

;_;

We even get some Drake backstory too.
emeth_asherMay 15, 2016 12:48 PM
Jun 14, 2016 11:49 AM

May 2009
Toei is so good at flashbacks
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Aug 13, 2016 2:31 AM

Mar 2015
That was really something. Totally feeling Law's pain and reasons for wanting to take down Doffy
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 20, 2016 2:34 PM

Sep 2014
Farewell Corazon rip man u did more than enough. Really a sad episode.
Aug 23, 2016 9:28 PM

May 2013
NUUUUUUUUUUUUU, CORAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA D':
<///////////////////////////3333333333333333333333

The flashbacks of his smile still cracked me up tho LOL
Mar 4, 2017 10:34 PM

Mar 2012
Corazon was one awesome fella, shame he died at the hands of his own brother. Freaking Flamingo is just irredeemable...
May 9, 2017 8:42 AM

May 2014
Oh man, oh boy I've not cried this much since Ace's death and that was a long while ago. I don't think anything in One Piece will ever be sadder than the end of Marineford though, unless one of the Straw Hats die- which is highly unlikely.

Poor Law. I think what makes his past so sad is because unlike Robin who never really had anything to begin with (her mother being largely absent and her still feeling separate from the other archaeologists), he did have people he cared about & who loved him. His parents and sister were slaughtered, and when he gives up on living he meets Corazon...who is also taken away from him in an equally cruel way.

The fact that the calm-calm fruit keeps Law's crying silent just makes everything worse! Like, he knows the exact moment Cora-san dies because his screams turn audible :/

Also X-DRAAAAAKKKKKKEEEEEE.
HE WAS THERE.
IT'S HIM.
I'm presuming the guy who Doffy gunned down is his dad? Calling him a coward was not cool bro- if only you could see him now!!

The most interesting thing about this episode though by far was Doffy's reaction to knowing he has to kill Corazon for his "family" to survive. We don't get inside his head too much (which is probably a good thing lol), but it's clear the very moment he prepares himself to kill his brother.
Now I'm not sure if he's entirely evil or not- not because of his actions, but rather how he goes about orchestrating them.

It seems more likely that his megalomaniac psycho tendencies outweigh anything else; an ends justify the means approach. He doesn't care what he has to do or who he has to kill to do it, so long as he can get to the top & destroy the Celestial Dragons.

Too bad the Devil is in the details and he's gonna get reckt by a rubber man lmao Doffy, you gotta take everyone seriously, no matter how insignificant they seem to your plan long-term.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 22, 2017 5:33 PM

Apr 2008
And the winner of the Most Tragic backstory goes to Law! Sorry, Robin.

I haven't cried this badly since Ace.

R.I.P. Rocinante. You were an amazing character and will be deeply missed.

Sep 20, 2017 11:28 AM

Jun 2015
Why do the good guys have to die always?
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Oct 12, 2017 3:59 PM

Sep 2011
Does anyone know the soundtrack used when Corazon is dying? Around 21min, when he is talking about to stay alive a bit longer to help Law to escape. I heard that it could be possibly be a soundtrack from a movie. Any help be much appreciated!
Dec 22, 2017 4:17 PM

Dec 2014
Good to balance out Diablo ex Machina with Deus ex Machina because fuck that bs. Damn that is sad.

Haven't cried this hard in one piece since the Baratie arc. So sad but it was perfectly written especially when Corozan had to stay alive just a bit longer to save Law. Oda you are a genius.
May 5, 2019 1:05 AM

Apr 2012
Cora-san ;_; ....
Jan 4, 2020 11:45 PM
Aug 2017
The whole thing is just crazy, the will of D. Sworn enemies of the Celestial Dragons, so Law and Luffy be wreaking more havoc in shinsekai huh. Great ending 10:10, corazon is a great a character, what a sad.
Feb 24, 2020 9:12 PM

Jun 2016
I preemptively got tissues for this episode and it wasn’t enough. I cried like no tomorrow. This was seriously masterful. It had so many layers, and writing wise and direction it all came together so strong. Firstly, I was half wrong, I thought Barrel looked so much like Drake but this was because I didn’t get enough of a look at Drie. He has the scar that Drake has, it’s inevitable that we just built up part of his backstory, we gave one of the most mysterious supernova’s some serious weight in the world. It was done in a way that reminded me of Axehand Morgan’s backstory all the way back in Usopp’s introductory arc. As much as was going on, we got to see his life. He looked to be a servant to a former navy and abusive pirate father. He was described as strong but cowardly and his chance for escape was this very birdcage and from that, he was taken in by the navy which is the coincidence which probably saved Law’s life. His father, killed in cold blood by an angry Doflamingo. Doflamingo, after killing a father, would then reflect on when he killed his own, as preparation for what he was about to do.

In doing this we saw yet again how much Doflamingo’s past defines him. In the brief flashback we saw, we had Vergo and Doffy reveal their friendship as what looked like ten year olds, giving even more weight to Punk Hazard, as they met with Trebol asking him for help or something along those lines. Seeing a 10 year old Doffy get involved with these people made me wonder if he is “young master” due to tradition, that he was their master as a child and the name stuck. More importantly as mentioned, we had Doflamingo reflect on that fateful day. The day when he aimed a gun at his father, while Homing hugged Corazon and Corazon begged him not to, and Homing could only apologize for the suffering he put them through. This seemed to only make Doflamingo more angry as, whether or not he felt it, it’s more proof that this kind man got given such a horrible hand in life. It had nothing to do with the quality of his character. That may make me feel even more hopeless if I were in his shoes. It appears Corazon was 8 here as Doflamingo was ten, and he fled, he didn’t want to be with his brother any longer and it was then that Sengoku took him in. The Corazon to Law may have been Sengoku to Corazon and I would wager he stayed with him until he was 14 like Vergo suggested and came back as a spy. All the pieces are coming together.

What amazed me about the next scene was that I actually felt for Doflamingo. I do not think he is by any means justified, but I can still nonetheless sympathize with how he feels. He’s rationalized his existence as his family abandoning him and letting him down, his mother died, his father cast him into hell, and now his brother has betrayed him. He had to mentally prepare himself for the act he was about to commit, killing his little brother with the same gun he killed his father with. I earnestly believe him in his hurt response asking “why do I have to kill another member of my biological family?!” And most of all, I had this conflicted feeling that made me realize this interaction was something special. It was when Corazon separated himself from Doflamingo with his own language, speaking of his brother as the Don Quixote captain, and himself as a navy commander. “I AM A NAVY SOLDIER”, said with pride. I was cheering for how empowering and resolved this was, but at the same time, like with Doflamingo’s veiny response of anger, I can’t help but feel he was sincerely hurt by those words. To have his last remaining blood tell him that he’s his enemy without shame would be a lot to stomach and I’m starting to see just how much freaking weight Doflamingo carries on his shoulders everywhere he goes. It’s as if he only expresses himself in composed bursts of anger and everything is stewing and boiling inside of him. I cared for both sides here, and a beautiful touch was Corazon’s apology and truthfulness towards Law speaking in a way that could be interpreted for Doffy, and his faith in Law, his declaration that Law is freaking free now. In a serious way, Corazon has saved another child from becoming a beast like Doflamingo. At risk of going way too far with analysis, seeing that Law has been saved from the same fate Doflamingo shared may sting a little in the present day.

To end it off with Corazon dying slowly in the snow but holding on to keep the spell of silence over Law because he knew that he could not stay quiet, and with Tsuru’s explosions being timed with music and the wails of Law finally being covered and thus signifying the death of Corazon was like actually beautiful. That was an insanely emotional and pretty montage. I was wailing like Law was and this was one of my favorite episodes of One Piece.

Edit:I just gave it some more thought and realized I think what was set up in the Trebol flashback was that Doflamingo saved his family with conquerors haki as they were strung up, Trebol took notice and sent Vergo to come possibly recruit him! It's definitely something I should have given more focus initially because it sets up Trebol to be the guy who was in charge of everything. It also denotes a change in leadership as Doflamingo surpassed him. In a sense when these kids needed someone most after their father was gone, Corazon found Sengoku like Law found Corazon, but Doflamingo found Trebol, someone who probably only corrupted him further.
gfsdfgsdgsdfgsFeb 24, 2020 9:58 PM
Apr 1, 2021 8:24 PM

Jan 2019
Damn, Law lost two dads is such a short time :(

Rocinante is definitely one of my favorite One Piece characters, he really made himself likeable in a few episodes.
May 25, 2021 2:56 AM

May 2016
Seeing Cora-san getting beaten up mercilessly and getting fatally shot by Doflamingo right in front of Law was already bad enough but him living through his injuries just long enough for Law to escape successfully even while he was crying his eyes out made the whole thing absolutely devastating...

It was rather surprising to see that Trebol got demoted from leader to executive. I get why Doffy turned out like this but it really looks like he had the inclination to be pure evil right from the get go after all.

Jun 15, 2021 4:28 PM
Sep 2018

Aug 13, 2021 7:30 AM

Jun 2019
That was really sad and painful to watch. What an amazing guy Corazon was. RIP. I feel so bad for Law. ;__;
Aug 27, 2021 11:23 PM

Aug 2021
I cried in this one when Law was walking alone after getting out of the box ;-;
Nov 24, 2021 4:08 AM
Jan 2021
This is one of the best episodes in OP. My heart can only take so much, I got emotionally attached to Cora-san, even tho he doesn't exist anymore. Now I need to watch something uplifting.
May 2, 2022 11:45 PM

Dec 2012
This gives so much more meaning to Law's chest tattoo. The heart is a namesake for Corazon & the smile is in honor of his final moments. It's also the antithesis of Doflamingo's jolly roger, which is the smile crossed out (as if to scorn his brother).
May 13, 2022 4:18 AM
Jul 2018
This episode was simply beautiful the soundtrack at the end made rosinante's death more impactful that last scene was really tragic I cried
Jul 18, 2022 3:35 PM

Jan 2021
Coro-San was a real one 😔 the ending scene hit hard he stayed alive just a bit more so that Law could escape and watching Law escape while crying in silence was honestly so sad
Sep 12, 2022 1:53 PM
Master

Sep 2012
Due to reading Spoilers, I've already knew what's gonna happen in this episode,
so I'm quite happy I choose to watch the whole Corazon/Law Past Part at home, and not on my way to work xDD
I would have had teary eyes... and it would be emberrasing to explain why xDD

The part that hurt the most was, Law crying in silent... now my desire to get Law's chest Tattoo on my arm grow even bigger
Oct 13, 2022 1:54 AM
Jan 2019
I still didn't expect Law to have the D. nickname. R.I.P Corazon.
Jan 9, 2023 8:21 AM

May 2021
Rosinante was amazing.. gone, but not forgotten.

Mar 24, 2023 3:34 PM
Mar 2021
I loved the use of silence vs. the scream. It, along with the music, was powerful.
Jul 5, 2023 12:10 AM
Jan 2017
So sad bruh rip the goat corazon
Jul 27, 2023 11:23 PM
Dec 2022
اعظم ماضي حزين زي روبين
Aug 6, 2023 5:39 PM

Feb 2014
Rosinante is best boy in all of One Piece, I declare it now.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 405 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Hayato_kun - Jun 13, 2009

174 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 404 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

SlaughterChichi - Jun 7, 2009

127 by gannoncannon55 »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 403 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AnimeRuleDWorld - May 29, 2009

78 by gannoncannon55 »»
56 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 845 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

19 by FedeMetal »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 843 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

16 by FedeMetal »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.