Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 23, 2015 9:01 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm pretty damn proud of how far Reina came tbh.

And anyways, this episode established that she does belong where she is I think she deserves some respect. Also found some of the Reina/Kumiko moments to be cute again. Kumiko needs to improve a bit despite her practice though.

Dem tears.
Stark700Jun 23, 2015 10:28 AM
Jun 23, 2015 9:05 AM

Dec 2013
kumiko tears :(
Jun 23, 2015 9:26 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
SkyNoHoshi said:
kumiko tears :(
Dem tears indeed TwT
Jun 23, 2015 9:34 AM
Aug 2012
its over guys shuuichi wins LOL kumiko realized her love for the eupho because of him
Jun 23, 2015 10:03 AM
Mar 2013

Kumiko answers, "Yes, I can!"
But, saying "Yes, I can" is not always to be true...
It's a long way to go.

Some days later,
Taki says, "I still remember you have said 'Yes, I can.'"
He doesn't abandon her ... at least so far.
htsujiJun 23, 2015 10:25 AM
Jun 23, 2015 10:25 AM

Mar 2015
Love how Reina was getting flustered over Kumiko and Taki sensei being together.
Jun 23, 2015 10:26 AM

Jul 2013
Pretty slow episode but I guess we got some character development with Kumiko.

And hot damn that scene with Kumiko running and crying was well done. Especially that pan when she turned the corner. Very nice directing and animation.
Jun 23, 2015 10:33 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The scene where Taki announced that only Asuka would play the part lacked so much impact, terribly done.

Also Aoi scene was a waste of time, i just don't care for her character.

Those two scenes really dragged this down a bit, but there was an astonishing scene that kinda made up for it with Kumiko crying out loud (dat animation!). Kumiko x Shuichi moment was adorable lol

Also Natsuki-senpai troll was godly, the way she runs xD
Jun 23, 2015 10:35 AM

Aug 2013
That scene with 'I want to improve' was epic.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 23, 2015 10:42 AM
Feb 2015
Kumiko sure is having a hard time with that part, but glad to see that the sensei didn't abandon her. Reina at the end there was so cute xD lots of things probably went into her head.
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
Jun 23, 2015 10:48 AM
Mar 2013
Swaggercandy said:
Love how Reina was getting flustered over Kumiko and Taki sensei being together.

It seemed Reina couldn't understand what Kumiko said at the moment.
htsujiJun 23, 2015 10:55 AM
Jun 23, 2015 10:49 AM

Jan 2012
Kumiko's turn to experience the frustration of not being good enough. Let's see if she can make it by the finale.
Jun 23, 2015 10:56 AM

May 2013
Awww Kumiko that running and "I want to improve" moment was really heartwarming and i remembered Tamako running in Tamako Love Story.

And man, im loving this Kumiko and Shuuichi moments (even though they're little but still), thanks KyoAni for toning down the yuriness in this episode because jealous Reina is cute. Can't wait for the last episode, pls deliver it KyoAni.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jun 23, 2015 11:04 AM

Apr 2010
Kumiko having a hard time.
But it seems it was an eye opener for her and she learned from it.
I have to say that the last part with Reina was funny, Reina had no idea what was going on.
Well on to next week.
Jun 23, 2015 11:04 AM

Mar 2013
This episode makes me realize how much it sucks that we don't see more of kumiko's onee-san
Jun 23, 2015 11:06 AM

Nov 2013
Another stellar episode, almost completely focused on Kumiko. There were a lot of great interactions, like her scenes with Reina and Shuichi, or when Natsuki made fun of Yuuko.

I love how subtly they were able to make Kumiko's internal conflict escalate, from the fact that she couldn't play the new part, to her conversations with Aoi and her sister, to her breakdown, and then they slowly lifted the tension with her reminiscing about Reina, and meeting her after being reassured by the teacher.

The part when Kumiko started to run was incredibly powerful. I've rewatched the other episodes, and her character development is handled perfectly. She's now my favorite in the show.
Jun 23, 2015 11:11 AM
Dec 2008
Swaggercandy said:

So upset she didn't even notice she dropped her water bottle :P. An indication that she still likes Taki-sensei.

Good episode. though a bit drawn out at some places but the build up to Kumiko's outburst on the bridge was worth it. Beautifully animated Kyoani.
Jun 23, 2015 11:35 AM

Nov 2011
Victory!!

Another great episode. Kumiko moving forward and not being forgotten by sensei has given so much hope.
Hate Keeps me warm
Jun 23, 2015 11:36 AM

Oct 2009
WaterQueenKonoka said:
its over guys shuuichi wins LOL kumiko realized her love for the eupho because of him

I feel like you're reading a little too much into that scene.

Really liked this episode, good buildup to the final episode! It's kinda fun how this show have gone from a "ok", but slightly disappointing Kyoani production, too one of the highlights of the week for me ^^
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Jun 23, 2015 11:40 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Kumiko had quite the tough time playing measure 162. I was hoping Asuka would be there to help her out more since they're both playing the same part.

Natsuki running to Yuko just to tease her was pretty funny! "Nani hitori de akakunattenno?" She needs more screentime just like Asuka.

That "Umaku naritai" scene though.. Dem Kumiko tears.. Made her realize how Reina must've felt in middle school. Nice contrast of feelings there.

Mamiko Onee-chan came off as quite meddlesome, which I didn't really like. But that sort of what drove Kumiko to find her reason to continue when she was feeling down.

Taki-sensei didn't turn out as rude as he seemed at first; reminding Kumiko that he hasn't forgotten her declaration of being able to play the part.

Damn it Kumiko; blurting out that she was with Taki-sensei on impulse. Wonder how Reina must be feeling now. Just hope that the Yuriship doesn't sink..

Decent episode. National competition in finale should be interesting.

Jun 23, 2015 11:42 AM
Jul 2018
Kumiko wants to improve on playing her musical instrument.
Jun 23, 2015 11:44 AM

Aug 2010
Dat "I want to improve" scene while running was so good!! Props to the animation and VAing. Kumiko's feelings were so well depicted. I love her <3

Dat Jelly Reina at the end tho XD
Barion-ZaraJun 23, 2015 11:49 AM
Jun 23, 2015 11:44 AM
Jun 2015
An episode dedicated to Kumiko, finally! No shipping shi*s except Kumiko x Eupho-Kun...XD

Finally, Kumiko learned how it is like to really be dedicated and wanting to do your best and the feeling of being upset after doing everything you can and be shut-down by the sensei...It really is frustrating. Im glad she left her phone, she got time to talk to Taki sensei, Taki is actually nice but needs to be more vocal to his students.... and the ending "I was just alone with Taki-sensei"....Reina dropped the bottle XD
Jun 23, 2015 11:46 AM

Apr 2013
great episode

great performance of kumiko's VA
Jun 23, 2015 11:56 AM

Nov 2012
"I want to improve." "I want to improve." "I want to improve."

Found this scene slightly annoying tbch,but good for Kumiko.
Jun 23, 2015 11:56 AM

Nov 2014
Great episode i can summarize in "blood, toil, tears and sweat".
Jun 23, 2015 12:04 PM

Apr 2013
Dat KyoAni animation quality!!

I want a 2nd season and more screentime for Shuichi.

And Kumiko teasing Reina with her and Taki-sensei being alone together made me lol'd a little.
Jun 23, 2015 12:12 PM

Jul 2010
Enjoying all the small little scenes or "outbursts". Like with Kumiko playing her euph at home and the shouting competition across the street.

Glad to hear her new found love for her instrument. Also, it was nice seeing the "human" side of Taki-sensei lol. His other side is brutal
Jun 23, 2015 12:22 PM

Feb 2013
Really felt for Kumiko there, it must have been pretty hard for her
Jun 23, 2015 12:34 PM
Nov 2010
Smudy said:
The scene where Taki announced that only Asuka would play the part lacked so much impact, terribly done.

Not really that's how it was when I was in band. The Director would just cut a part witha person and you just move on.
Jun 23, 2015 12:41 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
That scene when she's crying and running was so well made.. I really wish KyoAni would do a more action oriented series one day. Their animation quality is astounding for a TV series budget.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 23, 2015 12:50 PM

Feb 2013
Loved Kumiko in this episode, great development, Im loving more and more Reina and Kumiko relationship, its nice to see how well these two get along <3

ooo333 said:
Farabeuf said:
That scene when she's crying and running was so well made.. I really wish KyoAni would do a more action oriented series one day. Their animation quality is astounding for a TV series budget.

Didnt Kyoani adapt an action anime with the male MC who loves chicks with glasses? I forgot the name of the anime.

Kyokai no kanata yes.

Jun 23, 2015 1:01 PM

Nov 2013
Hazuki already got an episode dedicated to her, and she was relevant in the love triangle, so I'm not too concerned about her. Shuichi, on the other hand... give us season 2, Kyoani, we need more male characters like him, he feels laid back without sounding like the usual bored smartass we see in anime, he's like... a normal person.
Lollo36Jun 23, 2015 1:20 PM
Jun 23, 2015 1:06 PM

Mar 2014
that was by far my favorite episode in the entire series. i loved the animation during the running scene with kumiko. absolutely stunning and powerful gj kyoani. i also liked seeing how kumikos character has developed through joining concert band and becoming closer with reina; shes come to realize she wants to become better because she truly enjoys what she does. really good message.
Jun 23, 2015 1:10 PM
Oct 2010
WaterQueenKonoka said:
Erm... Shuuchi may win, but you're completely wrong about the rest.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jun 23, 2015 1:11 PM

Jun 2013
I liked this episode. I can see Kumiko's frustration of not being able to play a specific part even after practicing everyday. Her VA did a great job showing that emotion too. The last episode is next but there are so many things that was brought up a few episodes ago but never got addressed. Do I seriously have to read the manga?

I just cringe when I see those strings of high notes. lol good luck Kumiko.
Jun 23, 2015 1:13 PM
Dec 2012
fst said:
This episode makes me realize how much it sucks that we don't see more of kumiko's onee-san

lool, utterly true
Jun 23, 2015 1:16 PM

Mar 2013
ooo333 said:
IMTLD said:

lool, utterly true

The real yuri route

incest yuri is best yuri
Jun 23, 2015 1:22 PM

Jun 2015
The animation in the "I want to improve" scene *O*
{ 春にはすべてが変わるでしょう。}
Jun 23, 2015 1:27 PM

Nov 2013
The animation at the start of this scene

didn't look absolutely perfect. 0/10. Dropped.
Jun 23, 2015 1:34 PM

Apr 2015
gnodab said:
Swaggercandy said:

So upset she didn't even notice she dropped her water bottle :P. An indication that she still likes Taki-sensei.

Good episode. though a bit drawn out at some places but the build up to Kumiko's outburst on the bridge was worth it. Beautifully animated Kyoani.

True. She really wanted to know what is about Kumiko talking about that involves Taki. Hahahaha. She's like thinking. "wait, you're with Sensei?! What? Alone?! What are you two doing?!

Loved the moments between Kumiko and Shuichi, why say they're not talking anymore. Only music is needed to express what they really feel. It also seems Shuichi is Kumiko's comforter.
RPSB9Jun 23, 2015 1:58 PM
#CHEXIT
Jun 23, 2015 1:47 PM

May 2009
ooo333 said:
Remember when Suichi and Hazuki were relevant? Great times.

Shuichi isn't important in first volume of book at all. Same goes to Hazuki and Midori which were only promoted to main cast in OP/ED and merchandise by KyoAni to keep their usual 4 girls ensemble.
Jun 23, 2015 1:53 PM

Dec 2013
Those were some epic trolling moments this episode, but to think they all fit into the grand scheme of things makes it all work out.

It really isn't much of an understatement to say that Reina's play in the second audition kicked the band up a gear, with everyone dead set on improving to a level that Taki wants, if not to complement Reina. I give my compliments solely to Reina though, because I highly doubt that Taki intended for that to happen.

Kumiko needs praise for her dedication to improvement, though that tunnel-vision nearly took her out via heatstroke and dehydration. Seeing someone do a great job, and understanding the hours that they put in to achieve said great job, really does serve as motivation for yourself to improve. For Kumiko, who'd been half-assing her play since middle-school, this was probably the first ever push in her life where she really felt an urge to match Reina's level of dedication. The urge half-backfired on her, because she didn't pace herself on her practices and ended up with a bloody nose.

Still, throughout all of it she finally realized her one true love: Eupho-kun! For her, whose been playing with Eupho-kun for around six years, this realization was probably as much a surprise to herself as it was to everyone around her. But her declaration, several times this episode I might add, says it all. She love Eupho-kun truly, madly, deeply XD

Taki was such a troll this episode, I understand exactly what he was trying to do when he told Asuka to play the part solo. He was trying to let the rest of the band understand the exact sound that he wanted during that part, whilst expecting for Kumiko to practice to improve well enough to be able to play that part like Asuka did (as she promised him to do).
I would put it down to his "Genius" ways, but he did a poor job in explaining to Kumiko and everyone else exactly why he pulled her off that part. Taki is a nice enough guy, but he still has issues with explaining his decisions to the band members. He might need some lessons in social skills and teenage psychology here, cause his off-handed decision was obviously devastating for Kumiko, who had practiced long and hard to get the part right, only to be told that she no longer had to play it during Band practice anymore.
It only really worked out in the end because of the phone incident, which allowed Kumiko to have some one-on-one time with Taki, but after this I feel like even Kumiko understands Taki better for it. But seriously, it was a half episode long troll by Taki there.

Natsuki and Yuuko.... there's seriously something going on with those two. After the hugs and ear blows last episode, these two have basically gone from enemies to frienemeis (mostly due to Natsuki's playful nature). Highly enjoyed the Natsuki troll there. It made me laugh out loud.

Then we have Reina, who finally admits to her own fault of being smug and haughty prior to the second audition. She didn't have too many meaningful scenes this episode, but her apology to Kaori and Yuuko really stood out. She finally realized through the second audition that talent alone won't win the her friends or respect that she needed to be acknowledged. I personally think this was a great development for her in the social dynamics of the band. She won't be ostracized for her talent any longer. It felt like a wall was finally being torn down there.
Kumiko trolled her hard in the end though, with the cryptic off-handed remark about meeting up with Taki alone after school. Kumiko's focus was obviously to tell her that she was finally understanding Taki's methods for the band a little more, and that she felt great motivation to improve to her level, but the only thing ringing in Reina's ears at the end was "I was ALONE with TAKI-sensei UNTIL JUST NOW". Good job Kumiko, you got her real good.

Excited for the final episode and the Competition. As much as I abhor the Hetero vs Yuri war going on, I would love to have a second season to watch how the band develops further. Would love to see the moment Hazuki actually becomes good enough to join the other three.

Oh, and Midori didn't get many closeups this episode, but she's still cute as a pickle in every shot she appeared!
L-RyoshiJun 23, 2015 1:58 PM
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 23, 2015 1:55 PM

Mar 2013
Someone protect Natsuki's beautiful smirk.

Jun 23, 2015 1:58 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Really carries the emotion with the running scene at night where Kumiko wants to improve. Brilliant. Good job, KyoAni!

It's always been in Kumiko's mind that Taki-sensei has abandoned her, but he didn't. Taki-sensei, aren't you being a troll? lol. Anyway, this should help encourage Kumiko to improve and won't stay depressed anymore.
Jun 23, 2015 2:01 PM

Jun 2015
Another great episode. Just about everything was perfect....especially that animation . Hope Kumiko gets that part down.
Jun 23, 2015 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
MojoMako said:
Someone protect Natsuki's beautiful smirk.

Count me in, m8 ;)
Jun 23, 2015 2:14 PM

Jul 2010
Really good episode here this time (well, again i should say, because last few episodes were really good), and damn i really love Kumiko's seiyuu.
Jun 23, 2015 2:25 PM

Dec 2011
The animation on the bridge with Kumiko shouting "I want to improve!" was really something.
Kumiko learned it the hard way, the pain that Reina felt back then :(

At least Taki-sensei still remember what she said, come on, you can do it!

Kumiko was such a troll at the end, poor Reina was so shocked that she dropped her water bottle, and she even ignored her for Eupho-kun XD

One more episode... can't wait already. I really hope there would be a second season of this series.
Jun 23, 2015 2:41 PM

Apr 2014
Why do they even bother showing Sapphire and Hazuki in the OP anymore? If they're advertised as 'main characters' why do literal side characters receive more screentime and development than them? It makes no sense. I bet some of you have forgotten they even exist outside of the OP reminding you of their existence at the beginning of each episode.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

453 by Hearn »»
Apr 24, 9:26 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

394 by shichirouji »»
Apr 22, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2015

193 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Apr 18, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2015

286 by luisfunes99 »»
Apr 2, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

242 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 28, 3:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.