Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 1, 2015 10:05 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that got a bit dramatic...more than I had expected anyways. I find it kind amusing though

As for Nagato, I suppose it's time to clear the air between her and Haruhi a bit. I think the two will get along fine still despite what happened. I also found the chemistry between Nagato/Kyon to be cute this episode too.
May 1, 2015 10:10 AM

Nov 2007
Her friend is mad and Haruhi is being "inconsiderate" in her opinion (not care about Valentine's day). Yuki-chan ran away without noticing she lost her chocolate. So she was considerate and led the two alone. Haruhi doesn't hate him.

It's her turn. They changed place and he enjoyed it immediately. lol~ several situations expressing how she is embarrassed. When she's ready to confess, that green hair girl appeared and accident happened.

White day returns (same for both). He really thought both of them were "Giri".

About the bento next ep.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 1, 2015 11:34 AM

Nov 2013
this episode was pretty funny and cute since the Club got more lively since last episode. And when the comedy coaster goes all the way to the top.....we get sent into the oblivion of feels when Yuki now has to endure (if she can but I know she will) the hardship she just witnessed
May 1, 2015 11:42 AM

May 2013
Well that whole situation is cleared. Man that scary face from Asakura.
May 1, 2015 12:45 PM

Jul 2010
The confrontation between Asakura and Haruhi, it was nice to the bond showing throughout the episode.

And all for that reason, it was fun seeing how everything went into a mess like that by the end.

The "Ah, my left hand isn't strong enough" scene is probably the highlight of this episode, though for reasons that goes both ways.
May 1, 2015 12:52 PM

Sep 2012
She shot lasers lmao
Oh god who are you people?
May 1, 2015 12:58 PM

Dec 2008
chakracat said:
She shot lasers lmao

"The Sigh" reference!
AHAHAHAH
May 1, 2015 1:22 PM

Feb 2014
Haruhi is still the best grill...
May 1, 2015 1:34 PM

Jul 2014
omg that "ah, my left arm isn't strong enough" scene cracked me up.
May 1, 2015 1:52 PM

Jul 2014
Yuki is freaking amazing in this show.

As much as I loved Haruhi in her own show, she's firmly in the back seat here.
May 1, 2015 1:58 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Asakura really went medieval on Haruhi there a the beginning. I thought for a moment she really was going to slap her.

I liked the "John Smith" scene at the end. It really linked back to the main series in a good way.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 1, 2015 2:13 PM
Jul 2018
Nagato finally gave her chocolates to Kyon.
May 1, 2015 3:14 PM

Jun 2013
Am I the only one who noticed how "off" the soundtrack was in this episode? It felt out of place for me.
May 1, 2015 3:30 PM
Mar 2013

"Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?"

Haruhi pretended...

As for the music, I love Debussy's Children's Corner. If I remembered it correctly, the music in the earlier episode was Ravel's Daphnis et Chloé. I guess the music director sticks to French Impressionism in music (mainly during late 19th to early 20th century).
htsujiMay 1, 2015 4:22 PM
May 1, 2015 3:40 PM

Sep 2007
Whatever dimension this franchise is in - Haruhi is still the best match for Kyon. And I hate Haruhi.

May 1, 2015 4:13 PM

Nov 2014
LusciousLobsters said:
omg that "ah, my left arm isn't strong enough" scene cracked me up.

me too, that was gold. The rest of the episode was enjoyable.
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

May 1, 2015 4:23 PM

Aug 2009
Ahah why do I harm myself still watching this...
Well, "as expected" turn of event.

The start with the music and all was so over-the-top/ridiculous it was almost funny, but not intended. Overally I agree with the previous comment that the music choice sounded very strange.

Haruhi is nearly too responsible in this universe, a bit lacking her egoist side, it's almost like she's the character with most common sense there, along with the quiet Koizumi. Kyon is even more dense than most of the romance anime MC.

The "my hand isn't strong enough" was the only unexpected part so it was actually quite funny.
Tho I can't help but realize the whole episode story was just Yuki giving chocolate and Kyon eating it.
ZiassanMay 3, 2015 3:39 AM
May 1, 2015 4:54 PM

Dec 2011
This series has an abundance of references of the main series in general, but the anime took it to another level with the 'laser' scene LOL

They took it slower this time, but somehow I can enjoy it more than the chapters in manga. Not a bad thing I guess.

Asakura's expressions were just gold in this episode, especially that one at the end XD
May 1, 2015 5:17 PM

Jul 2013
[size=130]Holy shit even in this universe, I can't stand Asakura[/size]

Fuck off , just let Kyon and Haruhi give us the relationship we've been wanting and deserve since season 1.
The best anime is the Road to El Dorado
May 1, 2015 6:15 PM

Dec 2007
am i the only what who is wandering about Little Haruhi and John Smiths flashback scene???
[center]If you aren't troubling the rest of the world, then there's no harm in being abnormal.
May 1, 2015 6:35 PM
Jan 2015
Salathiel said:
am i the only what who is wandering about Little Haruhi and John Smiths flashback scene???

No, you're not. I have no idea what the fuck is going on in a show where nothing happens.
May 1, 2015 7:38 PM
Sep 2013
why do they put john smith reference here? anything related to next episode?

Nice but slow episode, and somehow strange backsound music....
May 1, 2015 7:38 PM

May 2012
nagato disappeared... lol, and dat john smith memory doe
May 1, 2015 8:36 PM

Apr 2015
Loved it. Especially "My left arm isn't strong enough!"
May 1, 2015 9:22 PM

Apr 2015
Am I the only one who thought about Haruhi being responsible for Tsuruya coming in and ruining Yuki's confession? I mean, I don't know how stuff works in this universe, does Haruhi have any power over anything like in the main series? Like her wishing so bad that cats could talk that the cat actually talked and everything. Is this a thing or am I talking nonsense?
May 1, 2015 10:44 PM

Jul 2014
Until the part where Nagato went and cleared up the misunderstanding, I wasn't really liking this episode, cos I just hate stupid misunderstandings like that. But things did get better later on, especially the "My left arm isn't strong enough" bit (I found that really funny). Unfortunately, Tsuruya just HAD to go and interrupt Nagato's confession, didn't she?

And the fact that the stuff with Haruhi meeting Kyon when they were younger (and him calling himself John Smith) is starting to make me really confused about the timeline of this universe and makes me wonder if this really is so different to the original series after all. All for later on, I guess.
May 1, 2015 11:05 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic I think, such a heavy focus on romance. Just very nice to see with these characters.
5/5
May 2, 2015 12:36 AM

Aug 2013
First episode which I liked entirety.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
May 2, 2015 1:34 AM

Oct 2014

I thought this will be Really The 'Vanishing' of Nagato yuki-chan but LOL, You fooled me.

Darn Tsuruya, You ruined the Most romantic Moment.
aerithclodeMay 2, 2015 1:40 AM
May 2, 2015 2:21 AM

Dec 2011
cherishedlies said:
Am I the only one who thought about Haruhi being responsible for Tsuruya coming in and ruining Yuki's confession? I mean, I don't know how stuff works in this universe, does Haruhi have any power over anything like in the main series? Like her wishing so bad that cats could talk that the cat actually talked and everything. Is this a thing or am I talking nonsense?

In short

About the John Smith stuff
alcrowryMay 2, 2015 2:25 AM
May 2, 2015 3:00 AM

Oct 2012
I really don't care what people are saying about this anime. It obviously is pretty generic, but it's being highly enjoyable for me.
May 2, 2015 3:37 AM

Oct 2014
This was the worst episode so far imo. It was just awkward.
They should have sticked to the comedy :D
May 2, 2015 4:54 AM

Feb 2014
Kyon's countdown was his attempt to troll poor Nagato. lol

Tsuruya, you imbecile, why?! Ah well, since she's still cool, I can forgive her. ^^

Poor Kyon, and yet, lucky Kyon as well, getting on fall into Nagato's chest, making her shoot laser beams from her eyes and then have Asakura ready to butcher you for it. XD

Overall, a very good episode, with the OST being pretty understated, yet really well done too.
May 2, 2015 5:51 AM
Jul 2018
Damn Asakura's facial expressions this episode cracked me up XD
May 2, 2015 5:53 AM
Jan 2015
i get the feeling this is getting nowhere.
What's the point of anything here?
May 2, 2015 7:53 AM

Sep 2014
Lol cute episode. I liking this Anime definitely. Yuki-chan cute as hell.
May 2, 2015 8:40 AM

Aug 2013
A good episode after all, not great but I liked it after al. The left hand thing was definetly the best part.

About the John Smith part, it's the same thing that happened in the main universe but instead of future!Kyon it was just a young Kyon that was passing by. The universe try to keep the evens of the main series he same but in a non supernatural way.
May 2, 2015 9:39 AM

Apr 2015
Haruhi carries the show, why is this Haruhi in Nagato's series!? But then again Nagato was great as well.

I just plead for Tanigawa...to please please work. I know he wouldn't, but pretty please...
May 2, 2015 11:41 AM

May 2012
Another good episode. A bit more dramatic, with a hint of the past. I laughed a lot, Tsuruya makes every scene megas better.

And Nagato is adorable!
May 2, 2015 2:33 PM

Oct 2012
And here we go again. If this episode was anything good it's because of Haruhi and her feelings to Kyon.
Nagato was just pathetic, comedy relief girl and they had to literally force her onto him into very awkward and unnatural situation. Whereas Kyon's moments with Haruhi are always natural and there is visible chemistry between two of them.

There was some overdone drama, I always felt sorry for Haruhi who had to endure that. Take it as you will but Haruhi is the most obvious choice here, Yuki clearly isn't fit for him.
May 2, 2015 6:38 PM

Jan 2011
Yuki lasers was the best part.
May 2, 2015 9:04 PM

Sep 2008
Best episode so far. I'm starting to really like Haruhi's personality in this timeline.
May 2, 2015 9:10 PM
Mar 2013
Kytrarewn said:
Salathiel said:

No, you're not. I have no idea what the fuck is going on in a show where nothing happens.

And you know what, you wouldn't be wrong -- because that scene is nowhere to be seen in the actual manga.

I'm serious, I don't know how Satelight can fuck-up a manga as simple as 'boy and girl grow closer in cute ways'. The mention of John Smith has absolutely no reason to exist in or connection to the manga, yet its there because REFERENCE. Even if the reference is ultimately vacuous and makes no sense when you think about it. Its just there because hey, it happened in the main series, and will never be brought-up again because there's absolutely no connection to the plot of the manga.

Not only that, but the anime for some reason makes it seem like Haruhi actually cares more than she does, when in the manga, she really is just giving him a courtesy for his kindness, and her feelings are actually more concerned in seeing how Yuki would grow, it was basically used as a plot-device to show that Yuki wasn't going to run away anymore, like how it happened in the anime. It literally took the space of two chapters in the manga, and then it was resolved, very similar to what happened in the anime, but with that one difference of making it seem like Haruhi cared more.

Why the hell make her seem more serious than she actually is if in the very next few chapters of the manga, she really doesn't give a damn that Kyon and Yuki are probably getting together? It makes absolutely no sense when you consider the narrative of the manga, just like the John Smith scene. Its just there because hey, it kinda sorta happens in the main series? I'm not even kidding, she's even supportive of them getting together, much less aggressive and obsessed when compared to her original. I don't want to see the manga Haruhi go crazy, aggressive and obsessed in that negative way. I liked that she was a more chill and reasonable version of herself. Haruhi in the manga is pretty awesome because she doesn't act like a crazed lunatic all the time and can act with some compassion and reason.

It ruins the manga Haruhi when she might act more obsessed than she is, and will create an inconsistency between this episode and the rest of the series.

Instead of creating pointless love triangle drama that'll be forgotten after one episode by the rest of the series, and shoehorning in completely bogus references to the main series that make no sense in-context, focus on adapting the source material more faithfully.

Without a doubt the one adapted the worse, and so the worst episode of the bunch.
TakezoKenseiMay 3, 2015 12:16 AM
May 2, 2015 11:38 PM

Oct 2014
Hahaha that "my left arm isnt strong enough"!

Wait, wasnt it supposed to be a series with no supernatural stuff and time travel? Whats john smith doing here?
why
May 3, 2015 1:14 AM
Sep 2013
Legal_Latino said:
[size=130]Holy shit even in this universe, I can't stand Asakura
Fuck off , just let Kyon and Haruhi give us the relationship we've been wanting and deserve since season 1.

Agree so much. Asakura ruins everything in every universe.

Poor Nagato can't catch a break. After the movie I was rooting for Nagato in Haruhi's show, now Nagato gets her own show and I find myself rooting for Haruhi. smh.

For everyone complaining about the john smith scene...keep in mind this is a a spin-off with basically no ties to the original. It's an anime adaptation to a doujinshi popularized after the Haruhi movie came out. This universe's Kyon never experienced any of what the Kyon in the original show/movie did. It was likely the intent of this spin-off to be the what-if-he-had-just-stayed in the world Nagato made for him, however it doesn't seem to be the case as he never once acknowledges anyone or anything he had in the past, like recurring characters or items like the stuff Haruhi brings to the room, etc.
May 3, 2015 3:24 AM

Jan 2013
So this was supposed to be about Nagato... I think...
May 3, 2015 6:12 AM
May 2015
TakezoKensei said:
Kytrarewn said:

And you know what, you wouldn't be wrong -- because that scene is nowhere to be seen in the actual manga.

Actually, the john smith scene HAPPENS in the manga, only much later(chapter ~30). Haruhi and Kyon did meet in the past in this universe as well.
May 3, 2015 10:34 AM
Mar 2013
killerjag said:
Actually, the john smith scene HAPPENS in the manga, only much later(chapter ~30). Haruhi and Kyon did meet in the past in this universe as well.

No, it doesn't. Haruhi and Kyon met in the past, yes, that's in chapter 36(but you know that already in chapter 14 or something), but the specific scene that you saw in the anime mentions the specific line that was said by Kyon in the original series.

In the manga, he says John Smith to her to escape culpability and she thinks he's making fun of her.

In the anime, he's saying the exact same line of the original.

Do you see the problem here?
TakezoKenseiMay 3, 2015 10:38 AM
May 3, 2015 11:19 PM

May 2014
This series is getting pretty damn good. That John Smith reference, though!
May 4, 2015 2:21 AM

Apr 2015
Kyon90 said:
chakracat said:
She shot lasers lmao

"The Sigh" reference!
AHAHAHAH

LOL
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2015

138 by Shaka-bun »»
Mar 7, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2015

181 by Pitt83 »»
Mar 4, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2015

82 by Pitt83 »»
Feb 17, 11:06 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2015

357 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Jan 31, 8:49 PM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2015

140 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Nov 18, 2023 8:33 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.