Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 18, 2015 5:37 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I think I'm starting to get used to the style of the show now. No surprise they are doing a few more flashbacks for Doronjo. She just looks so cute when she was a kid D:

At the same time, I find it interesting how much closer she is getting with her partners during her journey. It's almost amusing at the same time. Some parts felt slow but overall was consistent with the craziness. There's even another pig this season besides just Nanatsu. Oh and that OP song is catchy imo.
Stark700Jan 18, 2015 5:56 AM
Jan 18, 2015 8:22 AM

Jul 2010
May the Light of Dorombo Shine Throughout this World! I want them to say start using some catchphrases.

It was definitely fun to watch them going forward without thinking much. With them almost drowning before anything was started!

The Yatterman soldiers being androids, it was fun to see more of the world while running away already.

Those bellybuttons lol, it was quite warming to see everyone just resting beside a cozy fire and being able to relax. It was also nice to see that the person showed warmth filled which just seems pretty amazing to realize that there are still people like that.
Jan 18, 2015 8:42 AM

May 2013
Woah that bellybutton lol. The guys got another chance and getting back at the Yatterman. Turns out that those were robots. Nice seeing that girl comforting Doronjo.
Jan 18, 2015 8:43 AM
Jul 2018
Those three almost drowned when they are going underwater the tunnel.

The Yatterman soldiers are androids.
Jan 18, 2015 9:07 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was great. Funny moments and the ending scene was heartwarming.

Did her mother reincarnate in form of a bird? And is that woman blind?
Jan 18, 2015 9:12 AM
Jan 2009
This was a delicious episode full of crazyness and references to the original series.
I hope the amount of madness isn't going to scare away Yatterman novices.
We got a full-fledged Yatterman mecha battle including a mini mecha reference, the triple tandem and an Odate pig scene. Awesauce!

My only nitpick is the number of times the "Watashi no Tenshi" flashback was played, after a while I found it annoying.
Jan 18, 2015 9:29 AM

Feb 2014
Smudy said:

I think it was quite obvious that she was blind. That was a cute episode. This show is so innocent and charming

I feel like forehead flicking someone!
Jan 18, 2015 9:32 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
eXtacy67 said:
Smudy said:

I think it was quite obvious that she was blind. That was a cute episode. This show is so innocent and charming

I feel like forehead flicking someone!

Figures, was making sure though :D
Jan 18, 2015 9:32 AM

Apr 2014
It was a nice ep, and there was a lot of references to the old series, including the phrase "Even a pig can climb a tree it its praised, oink!", surprise mecha, and everything. I've watched both Yattermand (70's) and its remake (which wasn't that good, though and I've skipped a few eps), and by far, I've always was on the Dorombo's side. Now, I hope that Dokurobey shows himself soon.
Jan 18, 2015 9:39 AM

Aug 2010
Full of craziness :O Liking Leopard a lot. She's adorable <3

The last scene was so heartwarming :)

I wonder what the ED was trying to show?
Jan 18, 2015 9:55 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This episode was so sweet and Doronjo is the cutest thing ever, how could anyone act so mean towards her TwT

The ED was beautiful but I have a feeling that the blind girl and the blonde dude in the ED are the real Yattermen (Or they are supposed to be them/are their true descendants)
Jan 18, 2015 9:55 AM

Oct 2014
Team Rocket... is that you?

There is something very endearing about this show... The innocence of Leopard and the silly wackiness of her escapades are truly enjoying to watch.
Jan 18, 2015 9:57 AM
Dec 2011
Wow I wonder who is that girl, maybe she is descedant of real yatterman

This ED is proof but maybe I am wrong.
aiueowaveJan 18, 2015 10:11 AM
Jan 18, 2015 10:34 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I really like the OP.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 18, 2015 10:42 AM
Dec 2011
aiueowave said:

Yes you are right.
Same seiyuu and hair style as 2008 serie.
Jan 18, 2015 10:52 AM
Jan 2009
aiueowave said:

A reasonable assumption.
In the past Yatterman series the OP was entirely based on the Yatterman duo, while the ED was entirely based on the Doronbo.
Since this series is a sort of role reversal, the Dorombo got the OP and the (true) Yattaman the ED.
Dark_KainJan 18, 2015 10:56 AM
Jan 18, 2015 11:03 AM

Jul 2014
Huh.. Surprisingly an enjoyable sweet episode.
Jan 18, 2015 11:51 AM

Jan 2009
Dark / serious side w/ the ost is so alluring but there were some things that were off:

-It's hard to take those fights seriously (finger flicking machine?)
-Trio's humor is too much that it makes u look away; Doronjo is quite loud.
-Trio riding a bike in a straight path to escape from 20+ machines that are shooting at their backs at a close distance and missing like crazy?

4/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jan 18, 2015 12:06 PM

Oct 2010
The tone of this series is really really confusing, I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a dark drama/adventure series about an uprising of oppressed people from lower social classes or if it is a saturday morning slapstick cartoon where people getting injured and blasted away is just for comedic value. It just really doesn't seem right to have both of these things in the same series and shifting between them so frequently. Also what is with the almost complete lack of BGM music? At first the lack of BGM helped set the tone for a somewhat dark story but when there is no BGM during slapstick comedy scenes it just comes off as kinda weird. Really have no idea where this series is trying to go tonally, at least the loli is really cute I guess.
Jan 18, 2015 12:08 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Despite the craziness and silly comedy. this show can be quite melancholic. And now introducing a lonely blind girl into the story makes it even more so.

Cute episode though. I liked them riding away on a three person bike. They really captured the essence of "bad guys". I keep having flashbacks of Team Rocket honestly.
Jan 18, 2015 12:29 PM
Jul 2014
I'm pretty much confused about everything in this show. The tone is all over the place, and the trio's stunts are quite ridiculous.

But its heartwarming and somewhat melancholic. Maybe its Leopard's innocence and cuteness that compels me to watch this. Also curious about that ed song.
Jan 18, 2015 12:39 PM

Aug 2009
billybob300c said:
Dark / serious side w/ the ost is so alluring but there were some things that were off:

-Trio riding a bike in a straight path to escape from 20+ machines that are shooting at their backs at a close distance and missing like crazy?

Off?
No, that's just Yatterman being Yatterman.
Jan 18, 2015 12:56 PM
Jan 2009
The fact is that most viewers do not know that Yatterman is famous for pop culture parodies, nonsense mecha battles, bad guys fleeing on a triple tandem, a tree-climbing pig and even more weirdness...

The first episode was mostly dramatic, this one instead was filled to the brim of references to the past series (probably to encourage past fans that, yes this is still Yatterman).
Jan 18, 2015 1:46 PM

Sep 2013
This is a peculiar series I must say. It's rather dark but has a childlike charm to it and the slapstick is pretty good.

Art/Animation: Some still frames which stuck out a bit too much. They didn't look bad but combined with the usual fluid animation, it's too noticeable. I enjoy the explosions and some of the angles they get are really good. I LOVE the forehead flick machine. That's just hilarious.

Sound: Voice didn't annoy me as much this episode, glad it got toned down. The rest did great performances for their part even if the dialogue is pretty corny. Also want to make special note of the soundtrack. It was surprisingly atmospheric despite the silly nature of the show... Not sure how I feel about it yet but it might grow on me.

Story+Characters:
Pacing of this series is a bit erratic, one moment it's really fast and the next it's really slow.

The slapstick of this anime is actually pretty toned down and charming. It never goes too far with it but there's just enough that it's enjoyable and funny. The opening part where Boyacky is smacking the hammer repeatedly on Elephantus' hand was hilarious though I would have preferred if he let out a silly painful yell afterwards.

So they snuck into the Yatter Kingdom via a wonderful tunnel plot device but I didn't really get bothered by it since the show is pretty silly anyway.
It's pretty surprisingly that the Yatter Kingdom is also a dump though. It doesn't look any better than the world outside the walls except people actually seem more paranoid. Makes me wonder what the hell happened? I knew they were going to be robots or something because the opening suggested there was an army of them but it's really weird how the actual Yattermen haven't been revealed yet... are they already dead? Maybe the Yattermen built robot's to try and stop crime but the robots took over and it all went to shit? Idunno but I look forward to the answer.

So... Are pigs worshipped outside the walls? That's pretty funny.

So they sneak into a house, undress to dry their clothes and a blind girl shows up who looks like Dorothy... Sisters maybe...?

Well, the show continues to surprise me... I knew it was never going to be fully serious but I am intrigued as to why the Yatter Kingdom became the way it is. This show is nothing amazing but it's fun and charming and solid so far. I shall continue with it.
Jan 18, 2015 2:01 PM

Jul 2013
An... Interesting series.
Still loving it though. Quite heartwarming, that ending.
Jan 18, 2015 2:13 PM

Sep 2013
The girl at the end looks alot like Ai and she was calling for "Gan-chan".... Anyone that knows anything about yatterman should recognize those names. I think I'm starting to get a hint of what the main plot is going to be about.
Jan 18, 2015 2:15 PM

Jul 2014
The tone of this show sure is strange. I find the humor sometimes hilarious, but sometimes unpalatable. But the sad and dark moments are bone-chilling. The end result is disturbing and a bit depressive I think. Their world is so messed up... The man eating a maple leaf got to me.

The best analogy that I could find is a dark postapocalypse story told through the eyes of an abandoned nine year old. (But it bugs me that the older guys go along with all this madness and don't try to keep the girl from harm).

I am curious about who are the people in the ED.

In the end it's interesting to watch and higly entertaining, though a little bizarre.
Jan 18, 2015 2:26 PM

Nov 2011
The humor was expectedly turned up, which is great for retaining the spirit of Yatterman, but the tone switches do feel jarring at times. This episode definitely dictated the plot direction, but I rather people here didn't confirm speculations, even if strong, with outside/indirect sources.
Jan 18, 2015 2:35 PM

Jul 2014
Hmm, no, the mood doesn't go away. The effect of this show is strange - because of the contrast between wacky slapstick humor, unsettling imagery and downbeat world something like an implosion of fun happens, and the whole thing becomes horrifying.
It's curious, I do not dislike it, if it's intentional. But I fear that it may be partially a result of tone deafness.
Jan 18, 2015 2:42 PM

Jul 2008
deadoptimist said:
Hmm, no, the mood doesn't go away. The effect of this show is strange - because of the contrast between wacky slapstick humor, unsettling imagery and downbeat world something like an implosion of fun happens, and the whole thing becomes horrifying.
It's curious, I do not dislike it, if it's intentional. But I fear that it may be partially a result of tone deafness.

Post-apocalyptic stories often have sudden changes between darkness and comedy. It makes it more bizarre I guess.
Jan 18, 2015 2:44 PM

Jul 2014
Nayrael said:
deadoptimist said:

Post-apocalyptic stories often have sudden changes between darkness and comedy. It makes it more bizarre I guess.

Yeah, but here they pulled all stops on this. Like, no concern for watchers' safety at all. I just hope that they know what they're doing, when messing with my brain.
Jan 18, 2015 3:09 PM

Apr 2014
Sometimes I'm not entirely sure if I'm supposed to take this show seriously. Never watched the first Yatterman, so I guess I'm unaware of the quirks the show is supposed to have. A least it's entertaining.
HASSAN CHOP!
Jan 18, 2015 3:37 PM

Jul 2014
A mecha built from random parts, bit weird but that's ok
Jan 18, 2015 3:40 PM

Dec 2014
There is a reason you don't put someone this young in the director's chair, most of them still need more experience on characters/world exposition, shifting of tone and keeping the presentation consistent. The way I see him is that he is not even a good storyteller, a fine animator indeed, but looking at the two episode I feel that the show doesn't have a well-defined characteristic, it tries to imitate its predecessors while desperately wanting to have its own identity. But these two totally opposite tone doesn't mixed well enough on this director's hand, end up feeling alienated.
raveninthemuddleJan 18, 2015 5:27 PM
Jan 18, 2015 4:40 PM
Jan 2012
Is it possible to watch this without watching the original series ? I am thinking about watching the 2008 remake of the original series that is why i wonder if i really need to because it really looks like i won't enjoy it that much
Jan 18, 2015 5:29 PM

Oct 2011
dat girl at the end OMG : 0
Jan 18, 2015 5:33 PM

Jun 2013
i liked episode 1 so much better o.o
Jan 18, 2015 6:47 PM

Dec 2014
I thought it was meh.
Jan 18, 2015 7:29 PM

Nov 2014
a real keeper show...

even though the mood is really confusing at times....
Jan 18, 2015 9:40 PM

Dec 2012
This definitely was not as endearing & atmospheric as the 1st episode was. Pretty disappointing I must say. And I am quite confused by the direction of this anime show. Is this supposed to be serious? Or full-on surreal comedy? Because the mix between both in this episode was quite awkward.
I like anime.
Jan 18, 2015 9:40 PM

Jul 2008
Elliscg said:
Is it possible to watch this without watching the original series ? I am thinking about watching the 2008 remake of the original series that is why i wonder if i really need to because it really looks like i won't enjoy it that much

Watch one or two episodes of the 2008 series just to get some of the references. AFAIK, Yatterman did not really have much of the plot so watching all 60 episodes is probably unnecessary.

Pat_To_Do-List said:
This definitely was not as endearing & atmospheric as the 1st episode was. Pretty disappointing I must say. And I am quite confused by the direction of this anime show. Is this supposed to be serious? Or full-on surreal comedy? Because the mix between both in this episode was quite awkward.

Think like this:
Take Yatterman's original style and make it darker without removing absolutely anything else from the style.
Jan 18, 2015 9:41 PM

Dec 2012
billybob300c said:

4/10
MeowMixMax said:
The tone of this series is really really confusing, I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a dark drama/adventure series about an uprising of oppressed people from lower social classes or if it is a saturday morning slapstick cartoon where people getting injured and blasted away is just for comedic value. It just really doesn't seem right to have both of these things in the same series and shifting between them so frequently. Also what is with the almost complete lack of BGM music? At first the lack of BGM helped set the tone for a somewhat dark story but when there is no BGM during slapstick comedy scenes it just comes off as kinda weird. Really have no idea where this series is trying to go tonally, at least the loli is really cute I guess.

Could not agree more with both of you.

Darkshadow77 said:
Off?
No, that's just Yatterman being Yatterman.

But Yatterman series in the past had set the tone to quirky & cheerful at the very start & throughout. This one is pretty different. So the silliness of Yatterman series to be combined with the serious tone is quite jarring.

Nayrael said:
Think like this:
Take Yatterman's original style and make it darker without removing absolutely anything else from the style.

I hope that's not the case with this anime show.
Pat_To_Do-ListJan 18, 2015 9:49 PM
I like anime.
Jan 19, 2015 12:34 AM
Aug 2011
Doronjo is really annoying to listen to.
Jan 19, 2015 2:38 AM

Feb 2014
I like this, but I really don't know what I'm watching..
Jan 19, 2015 2:45 AM

Nov 2011
Meh, dropped, 1st ep showed a lot of potential, didn't deliver here.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 19, 2015 3:02 AM
Jul 2018
parfaited said:
Doronjo is really annoying to listen to.

Opposite effect on me. Love Kitamura Eri's voice.
Jan 19, 2015 6:09 AM

Sep 2014
An interesting episode 2. I finally understand the tone of this show, it's pretty light hearted. I like this. :3
Jan 19, 2015 6:17 AM

Feb 2008
I guess a lot of MAL users are too young to be familiar with Yatterman, which is sad.

I wasn't too fond of the first episode, but this episode won me over. Now I'm all hyped for the next episode.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jan 19, 2015 7:18 AM
Dec 2014
I really liked this show. Especially, the role reversal of villians are the "good guys" and the "good guys" are the villians. The mixture of serious story and comedic settings(the werid robots) makes this show unique.

Some might find is weird but this is still Yatterman hence certain stuff must be kept to show that this is in "Yatterman setting" (like the weird robots and the costumes). These are also the stuffs to attract the original yatterman fans. (those who watched Original Yatterman when they are young should be like 40-50 years old alrdy o.0)

Well I do not know anything about the original Yatterman but this show makes me want to watch the original Yatterman series... LOL

Hope this show continues to be good...its still too early to say from two episodes...
Jan 19, 2015 8:19 AM

Mar 2014
This show is getting more and more amazing
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Yatterman Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2015

65 by dechenerate »»
Sep 23, 2023 8:21 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Yatterman Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2015

30 by ThreePercent »»
Jul 10, 2017 5:19 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Yatterman Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2015

29 by ThreePercent »»
Jul 10, 2017 4:17 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Yatterman Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2015

35 by ThreePercent »»
Jul 10, 2017 1:21 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Yatterman Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2015

26 by ThreePercent »»
Jul 9, 2017 11:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.