Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 21, 2014 6:27 PM

Nov 2011
ElenirLachlagos said:
I find it hard to believe that Soo-Won really faked all that as a kid...

Who said he faked it? It seems more plausible that he didn't.

Shaniyaz said:
Hak's main reason for staying away from the castle was Yona. He always liked her which made him anxious, but never wanted to make it obvious since she liked Soo-won..

I'm almost certain that she genuinely annoyed him. We were hearing his thoughts, and his step-dad also noted how irritated he was. It seemed to me to be more of a brother/sister relationship, with Yona being the annoying little sister who he couldn't stand being around, even though he cared for her deep down. There wasn't even a slight amount of jealousy shown to Soo-Won either, and Hak seemed pleased that she was getting along with him.

I'm not saying romance can't happen; however, so far I see no reason to believe Hak has (romantic) feelings for Yona unless you're wearing shipping goggles or you're a manga reader and romance ends up happening that we don't know about yet.
Oct 21, 2014 6:44 PM

Jul 2014
This episode is great. Hak is such a great guy.
Oct 21, 2014 6:52 PM

Jun 2013
I am enjoying this series a lot more than i thought i was going to ..... Its weird we're only threeepisodes in and im attached to the two main leads :)
Oct 21, 2014 6:54 PM

Aug 2014
i think Yona Father know one day he will be killed by someone what he did in his past
and he stop blade with his hand it mean he was bloody in the past and wanted Hak
to be with Yona when he dead well there childhood was so good and happy but
future is evil hell oh Yona just about that soo-won dog and just start loving Hak and
become a powerful x badass girl to kill soo-won so pianfully die go next
https://twitter.com/LightningDash02
OTPs || MyAnimeList || MyMangaList || Favorite Guys || Favorite Girls || Favorite Anime

~LightningXDash02
Oct 21, 2014 7:25 PM
Jun 2014
Really enjoyed the flashback in this ep.
Is it possible to love Son Hak even more than I do already?! xD

Awwh I can't wait to see their relationship develop more
Oct 21, 2014 7:59 PM

Sep 2011
Whoever directed this episode needs some ears. That background music is way to bloody loud; it drowned the dialogue to kingdom come.
Oct 21, 2014 8:10 PM

Dec 2013
Tyrel said:
Whoever directed this episode needs some ears. That background music is way to bloody loud; it drowned the dialogue to kingdom come.

I didn't really notice that
Oct 21, 2014 8:27 PM

Apr 2009
why do i have the feeling that yona would betray hak in a heartbeat if soowon asks her.
Oct 21, 2014 8:46 PM

Jul 2013
Great to see some development for the 3 MC and their flashbacks were too cute tbh :D. But its pretty dark since Soo-won killed Yona's father and then their friendship comes to an end.

Pretty much Hak is the right one for Yona, although I still need to know what Soo-won is up to even though he is the king on Yona's place. Now they are on the move, can't wait for the next episode.

Oct 21, 2014 8:56 PM

Mar 2014
Other than the background music being very, very loud at some parts (without the subtitles, I would have been lost), this episode was good! The transition from the cute flashbacks to the dreadful present was well-done, and even managed to garner some sad emotions from me. I really enjoyed learning the backstories, and I'm extremely interested to know some character motives, especially with Soo-Won and the King. I'm looking forward to next episode, where it looks as if we'll get the story rolling again!
Oct 21, 2014 9:57 PM

Feb 2009
TripleSRank said:
I'm not saying romance can't happen; however, so far I see no reason to believe Hak has (romantic) feelings for Yona unless you're wearing shipping goggles or you're a manga reader and romance ends up happening that we don't know about yet.

It may be my shipper goggles speaking, but how he blushed when she said she loved him, even when she's lying, seemed like a pretty flustered reaction for someone who thinks of her as a sister.
Oct 21, 2014 9:59 PM
Dec 2011
meh childhood flashback was not interesting.
Oct 21, 2014 10:08 PM
Aug 2011
wigglejelly said:
meh childhood flashback was not interesting.

I agree.
Oct 21, 2014 10:16 PM

Mar 2013
I have so much respect for Yona's father now, too bad he died T^T

Hak being cool as always and dat blush.. kyaa~ my kokoro was not prepared for that >///<

And was that Takahiro Sakurai i heard again??? Man he sure is everywhere this season. I'm not complainin' tho..
Oct 21, 2014 10:20 PM

Aug 2013
Hak blushing made my heart skip a beat ahhh! That was so cute :D
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 21, 2014 10:32 PM

Mar 2008
The flashback felt a little elongated for a 'flashback'. It definitely helped give us a better basing of the characters, but it also took up such a large chunk of the story that the ongoing narrative feels unfocused.

It seems only logical that Hak can only head for the Wind tribe, in whcih case it would seem likely that Soo-Won will come knocking, perhaps with all the other clans in tow.
Oct 21, 2014 11:06 PM
Nov 2013
Mostly flashback, but it was definitely necessary since it shows the relationship between the princess, Hak and Soo-Won. Looks like Yona still can't get a grip on reality. A lot of emotion was shown and I liked that. They go to Hak's cvillage next episode, looking forward to it ^-^
Oct 21, 2014 11:07 PM

Dec 2013
This is growing on me musically. Wasn't too drawn in by the second half of the flashback; pretty unextraordinary initial friendship triangle and subsequent bereavement for her father. Didn't do anything for me emotionally. I hope Hak has antivenom handy because those sure didn't appear to be Gardner snakes. Wonder what his next move will be. SW doesn't appear too concerned, which is a little perplexing.
Oct 21, 2014 11:50 PM

Oct 2011
OMG their childhood T___T What changed Soo Won. Does it have do with his father?

Cries in the corner.
Oct 22, 2014 12:03 AM

Jul 2014
Too much useless flashbacks, they could have had handled it better.

Meh episode.
Oct 22, 2014 12:55 AM

Apr 2014
Meh! Was expecting some actions in this episode, the whole episode was a flashback . well mostly.
Oct 22, 2014 2:23 AM
Dec 2013
Nice ep. I wonder what king Il's past is. Most characters were saying hes a coward but he wasn't scared to grab that blade. Should be interesting.
Oct 22, 2014 2:28 AM

Jun 2013
That was a boring as hell action.

I was hoping for more action progression instead of boring flashbacks
Oct 22, 2014 2:45 AM
Sep 2013
Guys let me reinforce you that this episode was in the manga, and the anime has adapted pretty much everything from where it was suppose to be so far. The series has a pretty slow pace to begin with IMO , so if you want lots of action and fighting, then this might not be your type of thing. Most of the fighting and action happens a bit after chapter 45 and this anime seems like it'll end around chapter 40 IMO.

Anyway, back to the good stuff. Have I ever mentioned that I am in love with this anime's animation and soundtrack? I am seriously in love with the historical-feeling music and the details that they've added to the background. Pierrot seems to be really good at these fantasy shoujo stuff and I like it.

Is it me or was the music volume really loud in this episode? o.O it feels like some people are experiencing this as well but some aren't?
dammdd123Oct 22, 2014 2:51 AM
Oct 22, 2014 3:30 AM

Dec 2013
Boy i find Hak even more freakin awesome. He is gr8 i r8 him 8/8 m8.

Such a boss. I love that guy. Oh man the princess Yona is sooo cute even when she was little. And omg shower scene. OP.

Hope she realises how freakin awesome Hak is and quickly fall in love with him and forget Mr. Gaylord Yoon.

I really feel bad for Hak since he was really little, he has to watch the girl that he likes fawn over some other guy. Such a man... this Hak. Oh baby.

I give this episode an 5/5.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Oct 22, 2014 6:19 AM

Jun 2013
I actually really enjoyed this episode. Interesting flashback on the past of 3 of them
Oct 22, 2014 6:27 AM

Oct 2014
soraibi said:
Guys let me reinforce you that this episode was in the manga, and the anime has adapted pretty much everything from where it was suppose to be so far. The series has a pretty slow pace to begin with IMO , so if you want lots of action and fighting, then this might not be your type of thing. Most of the fighting and action happens a bit after chapter 45 and this anime seems like it'll end around chapter 40 IMO.

Anyway, back to the good stuff. Have I ever mentioned that I am in love with this anime's animation and soundtrack? I am seriously in love with the historical-feeling music and the details that they've added to the background. Pierrot seems to be really good at these fantasy shoujo stuff and I like it.

Is it me or was the music volume really loud in this episode? o.O it feels like some people are experiencing this as well but some aren't?

I don't think so, considering they have Zeno in the opening. However, I agree with you on the slow pacing.
Oct 22, 2014 7:02 AM

May 2009
I just love Hak's character. I think he's very likable.
Surely he is in love with the princess. I didn't read the manga at all, but lots of syntomps in this anime refers to Hak having that kind of feelings for the princess. He just didn't expres himself at all since the princess loved Soo-woo, which is also why I think he's a great character.

Anyway the phase is a bit slow but I don't really mind. The flashback was okay but I kinda wished to see some more action with Hak and Yona on the run.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Oct 22, 2014 7:06 AM

May 2013
Isangman0 said:
soraibi said:

I don't think so,

Fixed. Its considered as a spoiler for the upcoming episodes.

Anyways, its a 2-cour show.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Oct 22, 2014 7:53 AM

May 2010
"I'm bribing to reconcile with me." Lol I liked that.

Damn Hak x Yona really is my OTP, dem acting couple was awesome. Dat blush.

The King II wasn't a coward after-all, more like a boss there when he stopped the fire-tribe-guy.

Dat flashback with them being kids. Lol they all caught cold. Cute.

Seriously Yona, you still want that hairpin? Throw it away already. Well, love holds you back at the most desperate of times so can't blame her I guess.
Oct 22, 2014 8:23 AM

Jan 2011
I agree that the Flashback with the three was too long. I realize that it's to illustrate the friendship that the three shared but it took up a lot of time.

I think my favorite line of the episode is when Hak told himself that he didn't want to have anything to do with the Palace because of the way everyone tore down each other. That is a heck of a lot of common sense and I wish from the bottom of my heart that he had done exactly that. This reminds me a lot of Korean historical stories in which so many people end up dead because of deadly plotting among the royals for the throne. Brother killing brother, queen killing concubine, retainers killing each other, etc. Very poisonous place to be. I hope that after all is said and done that he survives. I care about him the most.
Oct 22, 2014 10:10 AM

Dec 2008
I strongly suspect that Soo-Won has been lied to and is basically being used as a pawn.

Sent with Mal Updater
Oct 22, 2014 10:25 AM

Oct 2013
Pretty good episode.
Great flashbacks.

Well the smartest thing would be for Hak and Yona to go and rally Hak's grandfather's wind tribe and rise up in rebellion against Son-won's coup. The smartest thing would also be to marry Yona to the fire clan second son (preferably first but the second son was the one who wanted to marry her as seen in this episode) which would secure 2 tribes on their side. We don't know if Son-won got the other tribes in his pocket but one or both of them could be neutral and his real power might just be a small fraction of the military. Of course seeing how Son-won already got the castle, slain the king, and essentially is the only viable choice. Its likely he'd have much support. Because who else would the tribes support? Yona? The spoiled princess? A woman too.... usually in feudal societies (at least in Europe), a capable male cousin is a lot more preferable to a spoilt princess which knows nothing about ruling heir. Him being a cousin greatly raises his legitimacy, can easily say that he is the continuation of the old dynasty.
I am a human.
Oct 22, 2014 10:27 AM

Oct 2013
Hannah_Ana said:
I strongly suspect that Soo-Won has been lied to and is basically being used as a pawn.

Sent with Mal Updater

Ugh, I hope to God not. That would make him boring and generic. As he is now, he has potential to be an excellent antagonist.

Hak and Soo-Won are already characters I like a lot. Yona, a little less, but she's damn beautiful. obligatory Yona fanservice in a FUCKING SHOUJO ANIME ftw

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 22, 2014 10:31 AM
Jun 2013
Damn I don't want Yona to have short hair. She's so sexy with long hair,
Oct 22, 2014 12:03 PM

Dec 2013
Hak was not impressed with Yona's fanservice.
Oct 22, 2014 1:28 PM

Aug 2013
A background episode. Well, there had to be one at some point.

So Son Hak was what we could call an native from our POV. It sure contrast a lot with the nobelty that Yona and Soo-won lived in.

I don't know why, but I'm kind of surprised of the relationship they had in their youth, Yona and Hak. They had a really cute relationship, liek when they started the snowball war and when they were the three of them in their futons.

I take back what I said in my last episode post. It definitely look like Hak had some feelings for Yona in his teenage(?) years. He looked jealous when she was talking about Soo-won and even if he tried to stop himself getting in their noble problems, he have step up for his princess. Well, I too would be annoyed if a girl I appreciated kept talking about another boy.

The King was pretty cool when he grabbed the sword, giving no fucks.

It look from the preview that the princess regain life again. She look more lively and less gloomy.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Oct 23, 2014 2:11 AM

May 2013
More of a flashback than progression. The princess should just consider Soo-won as an enemy. Although, I noticed she's having a hard time doing that.
Oct 23, 2014 3:24 AM

Mar 2013
Great episode,
I really love Hak personality,
look like the anime going to
be a mix of there past and future life stories.
which is great :)
Oct 23, 2014 11:02 AM
Jun 2013
Not sure why so many people are complaining all of a sudden. I thought it was pretty clear by now that this is a character-driven story and not an action-driven one.

Anyway, I liked that progression from past to present in Yona's dream. And as much as I want to see badass Yona already, it makes sense that she wouldn't go from fragile princess to warrior overnight.
Oct 23, 2014 2:37 PM

Jun 2010
Fuq your flashbacks. I felt the FanService though =) even if it was kiddy level service
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Oct 24, 2014 6:14 PM

Dec 2009
People that have read the manga, is the anime being adapted well?

There was the flashback which foreshadowed others joining, which was kind of random IMO.

Regardless, I am loving the series.
Oct 24, 2014 7:51 PM
May 2014
Bleachway said:
People that have read the manga, is the anime being adapted well?

There was the flashback which foreshadowed others joining, which was kind of random IMO.

Regardless, I am loving the series.

They've been pretty faithful to the manga so far.
If by flashback you mean at the end of ep 2, then that was flashforward lots and lots of chapters
(maybe to ch 48+, because I can't say I recognized the scene). And yes, as you saw in that scene, there
will be more people joining.
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Oct 25, 2014 3:26 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
I liked this episode best out of the 3 out thus far. The comedy of the flashback was good and I finally feel attached to the characters somewhat now. ^^
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Oct 25, 2014 8:12 AM

Dec 2013
After seeing the king hold the sword like that, i have a feeling that him beeing a coward is not true at all. Maybe he really did kill his brother...
Oct 25, 2014 8:40 AM

Oct 2008
Anon1409 said:
Tyrel said:

I didn't really notice that

well for me I instantly noticed it, though, I thought it was just an encoding error with FFF but it looks like others noticed it too.

Oct 25, 2014 3:04 PM

Feb 2013
Not much action this episode. Just the kids' past. Not sure if I'll keep watching or not.
Oct 25, 2014 6:13 PM

Mar 2013
Cute episode of their pasts xD
Oct 26, 2014 12:52 AM

Jul 2008
Hope they clear up the past stories fast cause I wanna see more of the present :D
Oct 26, 2014 8:59 PM

Jul 2012
I think I should put this on-hold and just marathon it because I feel like I'm not going to appreciate it fully with just one episode per week :/

Also, as others have said, music and sound effects were so damn loud, especially near the beginning where it even overpowered voices.

Btw, Hakk is such a bae. Seriously.

CapRooney said:
Hak was not impressed with Yona's fanservice.

He's a gentleman, that's why.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2014

270 by eevee-trouble »»
May 5, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2015

374 by perseii »»
Apr 8, 10:45 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2014

138 by Seraschi »»
Apr 6, 1:42 PM

Poll: » should i keep watching????

Tamar5858 - Jul 31, 2022

20 by BiobulletM »»
Apr 3, 2:21 PM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Feb 17, 2015

146 by nyaasar »»
Mar 21, 1:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.