Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Sep 8, 2014 1:14 PM

Jun 2011
next episode wil be great
Sep 8, 2014 2:41 PM
Oct 2012
http://terror-in-tokyo.com/story.html

Episode nine screenshots everyone.
Sep 8, 2014 4:31 PM

Aug 2011
Felt like a giant death flag for 12...
Sep 9, 2014 1:03 AM

Jan 2009

death flags everywhere
Sep 9, 2014 3:54 AM
Oct 2012
j0x said:

death flags everywhere

Warning: Saddest Episode incoming.

Anyone else think Twelve's the only normal one in this show regarding in Five, Nine and Twelve, terrorists wise? He seems normal and I expect death for every character in this show.

If both of them die and Nine's left, he's going rogue. Come on, Thursday can't come any closer and it looks gorgeous!
Sep 9, 2014 5:30 PM
Jun 2013
Twelve and Lisa better not die. I need my OTP together. 
Sep 9, 2014 6:39 PM
Oct 2012
I'm thinking they brought in Five to change the flow of the show. To give it a different falir and not the same formula or else it'd be repetitive. Now the next three episode shave its own arc. Each three or four episode have its own arc.

1-4 is the detective arc.

5-7 is the Five Arc.

8-11 ??? The climax and resolution.

You can argue on the execution but I'm hoping these final moments leave on an amazing note and makes use remember when it is over.
Sep 10, 2014 12:09 AM

Nov 2012

NOOOO. Why doing this to me arghh. Lisa and Twelve better be alive!! If one has to die might as well die together then!!
Your so-called peaceful world makes me bored, so don't blame me if I destroy all of it.
- http://worldinverse.smackjeeves.com
Sep 10, 2014 1:41 AM

Nov 2010
pakoko said:
dokidokidoing said:
I hope you don't mind me giving my two cents about the show.

I like Lisa. I've never been part of an abusive household, but I have been bullied several times in the past, and I identify heavily with her desire to please, be useful and to fit in. I'll be the first to admit that that's an overpowering desire that doesn't always make you act rationally. The things I was doing in my early/mid-teens... you'd honestly think I should've known better (heh...). She's a lost kid trying to fit in with other lost kids, but the problem is that these other kids are facing circumstances that are way out of her depth- something that didn't fully hit her until this episode. People say that she doesn't really belong anywhere... I think that's kind of the point.

As for Five... I think her character actually makes sense considering the background we've been given. We know that she, Nine and Twelve were from an institution that essentially robbed them of their identities. Nine and Twelve escaped, but Five didn't, so I'm assuming that she completed whatever conditioning process that the institution offered. Because of that, Five's development and maturity has been messed up. Simply put, she's a unbalanced kid stuck in a more mature woman's body. I'd go out on a limb and say that Nine and Twelve would probably have ended up like her if they hadn't escaped. I think it's interesting to note that she chose to embrace this hollow, childish insanity- Nine implied that she could have escaped from the institution if she wanted to. The following is purely speculation, but maybe it's her way of making up for the loss of her previous identity. The show never struck me as being particularly realistic in the first place, so her character didn't really bother me.

At its core, I think Zankyou no Terror is a story about outcasts trying to connect with each other. As much as I enjoy how the show handles things thematically, and as much as I enjoy the visual storytelling (I think this is one of those shows where the visuals/cinematography/music are as important as the dialogue in helping viewers fill the blanks), it isn't perfect. I think it's obvious that Watanabe wanted the show to be equal parts psychological study/social commentary and action thriller, but he hasn't really succeeded in weaving those elements together. So he chooses to deal with them separately instead. Mind you, I think he deals with each individual topic well enough, but the narrative would have been smoother if he'd somehow meshed the two together. And I think this disjoint in the narrative isn't a recent problem- in my opinion, it was present even in the earlier episodes, though it manifested differently then.

It's definitely refreshing to see your comment amongst comments that more or less all say the same thing about Lisa or Five. I definitely get that characters have been a problem for this show, but the main focus of this show is not necessarily about the characters' development. Some people are so caught up about Lisa doing something stupid or Five acting like a classic villain (what does that even mean?) that they're like "See? there she does it again!" like it matters hugely looking at the series as a whole. The show has so much more to offer than just its weak characters, like the story, great cinematography, beautiful animation, and amazing soundtrack that it doesn't make much sense to rate this show lowly because one (or two) character(s) ruins it for viewers.

Lisa was not supposed to be anyone special. I don't know what people's expectations were, but she wasn't supposed to be some super intelligent hacker or some secretly crazy arson. She's a completely average, softspoken girl that just happened to witness Nine and Twelve during the first bombing. Have you ever considered a scenario in which the protagonist is actually not that special? Put yourself in Lisa's shoes. If you were to be picked up by two skilled terrorists, chances are you'd mess up just like Lisa. Sometimes people are forgetting that we're not watching a shounen anime in which Lisa will develop some hidden ability. She's an outcast in a realistic society that is trying hard to fit in and do something right for a change, but keeps failing miserably. She's practically been doing nothing her whole life, but I guess people expected that she'll suddenly become a crazy good terrorist or develop into some strong, outspoken hero. She shouldn't be bashed on every single week for every single stupid thing she does, but I suggest that people wait to see or at least theorize why she's one of the main protagonists despite her being a VERY unlikely protagonist.

Five's circumstances are not known 100%. But like you said, she probably didn't want to become who she was right now. It's implied that she was experimented on with various drugs, and we see her suffering some withdrawal symptoms as a result of drug addiction or overdose. We get a glimpse of Five's true character this episode for the first time and people still hate her as a "classic villain" because of a couple mean things she said to Lisa. Rather, she only seems evil and psychotic because she is desperately trying to kill Nine and Twelve. We'll have to wait to see what her exact reasons are, but she's certainly suffering. It's like if she doesn't kill Nine and Twelve soon she'll die or experience something along the lines of death. She's been downright evil not caring about who she kills because whatever the consequences are of failing to kill Nine and Twelve is driving Five insane and making her fearful.

Well said on your last paragraph. Watanabe definitely isn't perfect in his execution of this show, and because he was trying to approach the psychological study/social commentary and action thriller together, it's understandable that he'd sacrifice characters to become more like plot devices in order to deliver a story strong enough for a 1-cour.

THIS. After reading the whole thread, I'm really happy to see these two comments, seeing that almost everyone's hating on Lisa and Five and stuff.

Unpopular opinion up ahead :P

I won't comment much on the two ladies now since everything is well stated by those two already. My only opinion is that Lisa is an important character in terms of her relationship with Nine and Twelve. I'm not sure, but it's possible that Twelve may feel strongly for Lisa simply because he wishes to FEEL human. And by the way, I'm disappointed that everyone hates Twelve now. I do feel bad that he left Nine to save Lisa, it was a stupid move considering how obvious of a trap it was, but lets consider Twelve's feelings for a bit here. Remember that episode when Lisa ran away from home and Twelve picked her up? Lisa then asked if him if they want to destroy the world and then they suddenly started laughing? Yeah, I think it all began there. (BEST SCENE EVER BTW) I think Twelve just wants to have a normal life and Lisa is the closest thing to that. I mean, all his life, he's never experienced things that a normal teenager would do. I would definitely understand why he's so attached to her. (The feels when Nine begged Twelve not to go tho T ~ T)

I'm not sure about all this, but this is how I feel about it.

Also, GDI LISA WHY DID U PUT POCKY IN THERE U DORK XDD
gumi-tanSep 10, 2014 1:45 AM
What is grammer _(」∠ 、ン、)_

Sep 10, 2014 12:39 PM

Jun 2013
Good episode, wonder what's going to happen to Lisa.
Sep 10, 2014 2:40 PM

Jan 2012
grrr.. you just know the next episodes have the potential to be just toally.... out of this world, i hope im not disappointed! lisa, even though considered a main protagonist apart from her cuteness and stuff, she just seems totally useless :/ i don't hate her, i couldn't possibly but in terms of her role and importance to the show I don't think she's done much, and I don't think i'd miss her... but she is totally lovely! xD
Sep 12, 2014 4:50 PM
Jul 2013
Does he like her? Hehe :D
Sep 12, 2014 6:55 PM

Jun 2013
gumi-tan said:

THIS. After reading the whole thread, I'm really happy to see these two comments, seeing that almost everyone's hating on Lisa and Five and stuff.

Unpopular opinion up ahead :P

I won't comment much on the two ladies now since everything is well stated by those two already. My only opinion is that Lisa is an important character in terms of her relationship with Nine and Twelve. I'm not sure, but it's possible that Twelve may feel strongly for Lisa simply because he wishes to FEEL human. And by the way, I'm disappointed that everyone hates Twelve now. I do feel bad that he left Nine to save Lisa, it was a stupid move considering how obvious of a trap it was, but lets consider Twelve's feelings for a bit here. Remember that episode when Lisa ran away from home and Twelve picked her up? Lisa then asked if him if they want to destroy the world and then they suddenly started laughing? Yeah, I think it all began there. (BEST SCENE EVER BTW) I think Twelve just wants to have a normal life and Lisa is the closest thing to that. I mean, all his life, he's never experienced things that a normal teenager would do. I would definitely understand why he's so attached to her. (The feels when Nine begged Twelve not to go tho T ~ T)

I'm not sure about all this, but this is how I feel about it.

Also, GDI LISA WHY DID U PUT POCKY IN THERE U DORK XDD

Thank you for your opinion. Your opinion is spot-on, and I'm surprised you posted this even before episode 9, since I posted basically the exact same thing you said, in the episode 9 thread.

pakoko said:
After this episode, however, I sort of like the idea that Lisa is humanizing 9 and 12. She's humanizing them in the sense that as much as she needed 9 and 12 to feel like she belonged somewhere, 9 and 12 needed her to feel a sense of what it means to interact with real humans. 9 and 12 have only had each other to rely on ever since they were little because they were basically fugitives. Add the fact that they are technically still savants, and you have two socially awkward guys that haven't had a normal human interaction until Lisa came along. So of course 12 would be irrationally attracted to Lisa. Not only is she someone of the opposite sex, she's also the first friend that 12 made, besides 9. I wouldn't go as far as to call it romance, but 12 definitely treasures Lisa's existence. It doesn't matter if she's weak or incompetent. 12 did everything he could to protect her at every turn: motorcycle, airport, and now ferris wheel. 12 is trying to overcompensate for abandoning Five, or just abandoning anyone, during his days at the Settlement.

Therefore, it's not a question of how "human" they were before Lisa came along, but how much MORE "human" 9 and 12 became after Lisa came along. 12 is "reasonably irrational" in his attraction to Lisa, given his circumstances and his age. It goes much deeper than simply "falling in love."

It's sad that people see this relationship as merely some cute teenage romance, when in fact it's hard to even explain it as love since it's not overdone in any way. I guess people just assume a boy and a girl showing interest in each other is automatically blind puppy love. I, for one, don't think he confessed "I love you" to Lisa at the ferris wheel. Something like "I needed you in my life" would be more appropriate for the situation and for 12's character. People shouting "romance subplot ruined the show!" have emerged after episode 9 and it's already starting to get to the point where it's annoying. The romance subplot, if it really is a romance or just 12's way of overcompensating for his trauma, didn't hurt the show's merit since it was executed so well with just the right amount of emotions.
Sep 13, 2014 4:13 AM

Apr 2009
ZaldiuntheGerman said:
Good grief, Five really needs to stop speaking English.

I agree.
Also, for some reason I start to find this show more and more average by the episode.

Sep 13, 2014 4:42 AM

Apr 2013
Good episode. Bit slow paced but it's a build up. That Dear Lisa Bomb was funny and after a little BOOM the whole place is crumbles. I felt sad for Lisa, she feels she's the one who caused the all the problems. Five got her wow sh1t got real. Your life is no more worth thab an ant? Wow. Five's cruel. Twelve left Nine to save Lisa leaving Nine alone. Oo.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Sep 13, 2014 11:25 AM

Jan 2011
Lisa is stupid, just like Five said, lol.
Story still looks pretty nice, but I'm expecting more still. ^^
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Sep 13, 2014 8:31 PM

Feb 2013
Five just had to paint Lisa's nails didn't she...

Build-up episode for the next one...
Sep 15, 2014 12:13 PM

Dec 2011
Damn, Shibazaki's crew was suspended for 3 months and he was suspended for an indefinite period of time... damn that Five.

Awwww, Shibazaki went to ask his girl some questions.

Nine and Twelve could easily use Lisa's cooking as a nuclear bomb XD

Well... they went from having a home to having their home explode thus becoming homeless...

The only redeeming quality of Five is that she's hot XD.

Twelve x Lisa :3

Awwww, Lisa left so she wouldn't be a burden and slow them down by being in constantly danger T.T

Freaking hell Lisa was already found by Five with those cameras lol.

I guess it's time for some hot girl on girl action... or not... oh well, a guy can dream XD.

I think it's time for Twelve to go full badass and save Lisa B|
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Sep 15, 2014 11:34 PM

Jul 2008
Lisa in Five's custody, hearing her conversation with Lisa makes it sounds like she's on the good side though I doubt it's that simple.
Sep 17, 2014 8:11 AM

Sep 2008
You stop a bombing attack and get suspended for it...oh, it was american agency that's responsible for bomb almost going on in a crowded airport.
Does it sound incredibly retarded just to me?

I am sick of non sensical shit like that. It's not like everything was under control and police intervention endangered anyone.
No, it was American agents endangering thousands of people on Japanese soil, japanese officer saving those people and getting flak for doing it from Japanese superiors.
What the actual fuck.

There's conspiracy, there's suspension of disbelief and there's stupid.
Sep 17, 2014 8:32 AM
Oct 2012
nina4life said:
You stop a bombing attack and get suspended for it...oh, it was american agency that's responsible for bomb almost going on in a crowded airport.
Does it sound incredibly retarded just to me?

I am sick of non sensical shit like that. It's not like everything was under control and police intervention endangered anyone.
No, it was American agents endangering thousands of people on Japanese soil, japanese officer saving those people and getting flak for doing it from Japanese superiors.
What the actual fuck.

There's conspiracy, there's suspension of disbelief and there's stupid.

Want an answer?

Five's using the human weakness of Nine and Twelve to make them give themselves up .Her plan would work in two ways. Someone would have died and Nine and Twelve would be sick with themselves. Or, they give themselves up and no one dies.

A lose-lose situation.

But because of Shibazaki, they played someone from left field and she couldn't believe the hold they had on him. If not for him, this show would have ended on episode seven with a boring conclusion.

They got suspended because of the leverage Five has and what's going on. They needed to show others that the bomb was real or else they wouldn't go to the bomb.

If you seriously don't understand how this hasn't become an issue and something that needs to be discussed, watch episode nine and you'll be given MANY MANY clues on why such things occurred and the power Five has. It'll make strong sense on why Japan's acting very submissive to USA.
Sep 22, 2014 3:31 AM

Dec 2011
So everything is falling apart for Sphinx. Meanwhile, Shibazaki has been fired, but that just means he's free to investigate for himself, and find out the truth behind the project.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 23, 2014 3:07 PM

Feb 2011
faking cg. :(
Sep 23, 2014 10:36 PM

Jul 2013
*sigh* Twelve is really going down the path of childish romance. Lisa is dragging him and this show down the fucking hill.. At the very least Nine please stay composed.

Go Shibazaki! He's beginning to be like L.
Sep 25, 2014 12:17 PM

Jan 2014
ZaldiuntheGerman said:
Sep 26, 2014 2:28 PM

Jun 2011
So are they gonna die soon from being exposed to the radiation? o.O

Lisa: Sorry for all the troubles. Goodbye.
Me: You gon' invite more trouble, eh.

Lisa: I don't care about myself, but not them please..
Me: Really?

Also lol @ the random CG.

Vikopaulum said:
Also, for some reason I start to find this show more and more average by the episode.
You are not alone.
ToG25thBaamSep 26, 2014 2:35 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 26, 2014 7:30 PM

Dec 2013
ZaldiuntheGerman said:
Other than that, great building episode.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Sep 29, 2014 1:29 AM

Nov 2013
Come on Twelve I know you are much closer to Lisa but is completely exposing yourself to Five in a desperate attempt to save your friend really the right thing to do? Talk about being reckless on his part.

Sep 29, 2014 1:31 AM

Nov 2013
Lisa really is weak-hearted yet adorable. Just her being with Sphinx has caused their entire plan to fall apart. First Five gets a hold of her ID and now she gets captured.

Sep 29, 2014 1:33 AM

Nov 2013
FlareStar101 said:
ZaldiuntheGerman said:
Other than that, great building episode.
Yeah her English is fucking terrible.

Sep 30, 2014 8:05 PM

Jul 2012
I liked the story better before Five showed up. Interested to see how these last episodes will turn out though.
Oct 4, 2014 3:51 AM

May 2014
5 is right. Lisa is really annoying -_- She is always getting in the way..

9 and 12 have a little disagreement. I like this anime up to now.
Oct 9, 2014 8:12 PM

Nov 2012
I feel like the show could have went better without Five. I like the idea of a three-way conflict between Sphinx, Shibazaki, and Five, but Five is just an awful character who suddenly became a FBI government operative and makes some of the most absurd plans that makes the show lose its color.
Oct 14, 2014 3:34 PM

May 2012
And Lisa got caught again... oh well I wonder what 12 will do though!
Oct 15, 2014 3:13 AM
May 2012
That insert song in the beginning~
So, that is Shibazaki's daughter, not Lisa, huh.
Lisa =_= You poor thing, but what you did was pretty stupid. Why would you run away.....again. You do know that they might find you.
Five, you bitch!!
Nov 9, 2014 10:33 AM

Dec 2010
Slow but good episode.

Good job, Nine.
Nov 24, 2014 3:34 PM

Oct 2013
Twelve fell in love with Lisa,let's see how will this turn out.

Dec 13, 2014 2:59 PM
Feb 2012
Can somebody tell me the OST played during twelve riding his bike near the end of the episode 8?
Dec 17, 2014 8:07 PM

Aug 2013
Lisa is dumb.. can't help it.
Only 3 more episodes.. is it time for the finale ?
Jan 2, 2015 6:12 PM

Jun 2013
London's bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down... MY FAIR LADY.
Five, lol.
So Shibazaki and Hamura starts to investigate about "Athena Project".
Declining Nine's pleas to remember their mission, Twelve leaves to try and rescue Lisa. I think he has feelings for her. :D
Jan 19, 2015 10:37 AM
Jan 2012
Men are so weak, they always pick the girl. Still, I am glad Twelve doesn't want to let Lisa go, it is rather adorable :)

Is it only me or is anyone else bothered by how much crap people give Lisa? The students, her mother, Nine and now Five. No one deserves to be treated like that.

I hate Five and the police.
Feb 3, 2015 2:38 AM

Feb 2015
ride a motorcycle in the rain to rescue a girl is a cool closing scene.
nice episode.
Feb 7, 2015 1:17 AM

Feb 2015
five needs to get rid of her stupid looking haircut and realize that she is scum and that lisa is better.
Mar 15, 2015 2:37 PM
Jul 2014
Oh boy this gon' be good...
Mar 16, 2015 4:08 AM

Aug 2010
And this shows that the system, bureaucracy can be corrupted...

LISA IS ANNOYING THE HECK OUT OF ME THOUGH URGHHH
Mar 18, 2015 9:51 PM

Mar 2012
Dumb move by Lisa. If you thought you were a pain in the ass for Nine and Twelve then why would you cause more problems by running away just to get caught by the enemy....
Apr 3, 2015 2:10 PM

Dec 2014
Lisa is just backing them down afterall...

“There are two kinds of arrogance. One where you are unequal to the task and one where your dreams are too big. The former is commonplace stupidity... but the latter is a rare species that is difficult to find.”

Apr 21, 2015 3:44 PM

Sep 2014
Why isn't Five's ass in JAIL? Blew up a passenger jet (meant for an airplane gate full of people), blew up an apartment building, and kidnapped a girl.

I like Five's VA, she's pretty good, just not her English. lol
May 10, 2015 9:43 AM

Jan 2013
Five singing was pretty nice.
Hope this show can somehow get a decent ending with just 3 episodes left.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

380 by Yavicci »»
Apr 24, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2014

866 by Pain »»
Apr 21, 7:47 PM

» Boring

egosumjohn - Aug 30, 2023

22 by Pain »»
Apr 21, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2014

448 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 14, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Naruleach - Jul 5, 2014

422 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 14, 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.