3It was OK
7.9%
2Disliked it
1.0%
1Hated it
1.4%
Average 4.5
869 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 24, 2014 9:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Mm, I like the choice of the OST this episode to reflect what Lisa is currently going through.

Sphinx makes another appearance on video taunting the detectives. We get to see a tiny glimpse of the terrorist's pasts though which I find interesting. And damn, it does not look pleasant at all. Bad memories for Nine I guess. This is getting personal now ;o

Stark700Jul 24, 2014 9:46 AM
Jul 24, 2014 10:33 AM

Mar 2014
I liked this ep, it was interesting to see some ressistance from police this time. It looks like this bomb wasn't intended to explode though more like just a way to find out if the police connected terrorists to that plutonium theft.

Really great show so far.
Jul 24, 2014 10:38 AM

Oct 2013
Yeah Nine and Twelve wanted to confirm that the police knew they were connected to the plutonium; that's why Nine and Twelve were questioning whether the riddle was too difficult.
Jul 24, 2014 10:41 AM

Jun 2013
Anyone else notice the number 9 around the 12 minute mark with the building lights?

Anyway, another great riddle with references to Oedipus that I never knew before (the "dragon" being the ancestor of Oedipus, etc.). However, Nine and Twelve seem to be leaving evidence behind on purpose, meaning they really want someone to catch onto them. But why?

I don't know if someone like Shibazaki is the one Nine and Twelve were looking for, but hopefully they'll reveal what they are planning to do real soon. I like Shibazaki as a sincere character because he's the typical detective that stands up for justice by taking whatever means necessary to find the criminal (even if it meant risking losing his job)

The past about Nine and Twelve reveal some children that are treated lowly, like animals, after they were abandoned (?). Besides them being orphans, I can't really assume much.
pakokoJul 24, 2014 2:11 PM
Jul 24, 2014 11:01 AM

Aug 2011
So that woman wearing the white coat gave numbers as new names for those abandoned kids. That's why Arata and Touji's code names are 9 and 12. I guess.
Jul 24, 2014 11:01 AM
Oct 2010
They left the VON message in both places so it was obvious that the police will relate the cases. This was more a Shibazaki character episode to know more about him and his motivations, great nonetheless. And the exposition is still really good, making the infodump seem quite natural.
Jul 24, 2014 11:03 AM
Jul 2014
I'm calling it now the inspector is lisa father...

Also first look at young number Five...
Jul 24, 2014 11:09 AM

Apr 2011
Young Nine really looks like Lisa. Just saying.
Jul 24, 2014 11:12 AM

Feb 2011
Darn, am I the only one who wanted it to explode ? :<
Jul 24, 2014 11:12 AM

Jul 2012
Solid episode once again. Really liking the execution of the expositions.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Jul 24, 2014 11:14 AM

Feb 2014
Yet another very enjoyable episode. From the two prior episodes I'd have actually guessed that Twelve will end up as my favorite character, but Shibazaki is shaping up to be a nice character as well. Can't wait to see how it continues and how Lisa will tie in to the bigger plot - well, another week of waiting starts now...
Jul 24, 2014 11:18 AM

Aug 2007
Great ep. I'm not sure why Sphinx wants to be found out so badly but I can't wait to see how this unfolds. I wonder what they have planned and too bad that guy was cut off from what he was going to say. It seems Sphinx one is curious about him now.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 24, 2014 11:19 AM

Aug 2010
Yep! As expected. I'm gonna love Shibasaki so much!! Dude's a BA!!! :D

Loved 9 and 12s reactions to the police figuring out ^^ It seemed they were actually relieved :O That made things interesting.

Also glad that Lisa ran away from her Psycho mom. I really feel bad for this girl :(
Jul 24, 2014 11:20 AM

Jul 2012
Wasn't the atomic bomb stuff a unspeakable taboo in japanese entertainment industry?

Well, they've almost recreated 9/11, but still...
watchhJul 24, 2014 11:23 AM
Jul 24, 2014 11:22 AM

Dec 2011
Another amazing episode. Great OST.
As I thought, Nine is the sensitive one in the group.

UnbornMVs said:
Darn, am I the only one who wanted it to explode ? :<

Yup, I feel the same. I want some epic explosions!

Can't wait for next week.
Jul 24, 2014 11:26 AM
Oct 2012
My heart jumped when the mom sensed someone at the door. I think she is purely done with it. I'm hoping to see some work from her and wishing to do something. The bullying and pool, to the psycho mom where Lisa can't say anything cause that bitch is in some denial/Alzheimer's pain. I'm pumped for next episode.

Now let's see if we'll get Five. Or maybe FIVE is in her own division and her and Shibasaki battles it out of who gets to beat Sphinx. Let's get this going. Fucking waiting another week for this, the pain's too much.
Jul 24, 2014 11:29 AM

Jul 2013
this show has death note vibes. nine and twelve's reactions when they realized that the pd figured out their riddle almost seemed as if they were glad that they weren't dealing with anyone incompetent.

so basically this next riddle was to check if the pd connected the plutonium case to the bombings. i wonder if the plutonium itself will play a bigger role in the story.

for some reason, i get the feeling that shibasaki might be lisa's dad. it's implied that because of what happened to shibasaki 15 years ago has negatively affected his family and lisa has a bad home life and her dad is never around.

shibasaki's an interesting character but i hope the show starts to focus more on lisa, nine and twelve.

i thought that kid from nine's nightmares had died but it seems that he is actually a she and is actually five.

looking forward to more. i wonder what nine and twelve are after
Jul 24, 2014 11:32 AM

Apr 2013
this anime is flawless!

love the way they go back and forth with the detectives, great game of cat and mouse.

Lisa's mom is a nutjob tho.
Jul 24, 2014 11:32 AM

Dec 2010
A much better episode. The Oedipus riddles are kind of boring though.

BUT THE SOUNDTRACK.
Jul 24, 2014 11:36 AM
Oct 2012
orchidork said:

for some reason, i get the feeling that shibasaki might be lisa's dad. it's implied that because of what happened to shibasaki 15 years ago has negatively affected his family and lisa has a bad home life and her dad is never around.

looking forward to more. i wonder what nine and twelve are after

I wouldn't want to believe such a thing. Would like to think the dad has moved on and isn't stuck there anymore. Be a bit of a bad spot if it is the case. Really crossing my fingers that she isn't related to him.

SunkenShip said:

BUT THE SOUNDTRACK.

I don't think anyone knows these riddles and this only makes it more fun to take part in. Now, will they keep up this sphinx and Oedipus' riddle or go HAM on another one.

So is this for you to be on board? Or is it, you got my interest but if the next episode flops, I'm done? XD
Jul 24, 2014 11:40 AM

Aug 2013
Another great episode. I'm waiting for more!
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 24, 2014 11:48 AM

Jan 2014
Passing the Three Episode Rule with flying colors, this is easily in the running for AOTY.
Jul 24, 2014 11:51 AM

Dec 2012
I'm loving the realistic Death Note-level deduction skills. The show is definitely already AOTS, now there are only 8 episodes left to make it AOTY.
Jul 24, 2014 11:52 AM

Apr 2012
Like them to switch up the riddles but that was still a very enjoyable episode. What a bold move to provoke the terrorists. Can't help but think of Monster when I saw the orphanage flashback. Kinderheim 511 XD

Jul 24, 2014 11:53 AM

Feb 2013
Was that game on the phone a reference to Puzzle & Dragons?
If so, that's awesome :)
Jul 24, 2014 11:55 AM

Dec 2010
BRK25 said:
I don't think anyone knows these riddles and this only makes it more fun to take part in. Now, will they keep up this sphinx and Oedipus' riddle or go HAM on another one.

So is this for you to be on board? Or is it, you got my interest but if the next episode flops, I'm done? XD

It's not fun for me; I can't solve the riddle, I can't feel it, and I can't get involved. I hope they drop these altogether and focus on outsmarting each other by other means.

Well, the police are a lot better this episode. And thankfully they didn't talk as much or try to solve the riddle themselves. I'm definitely still on board. x)
Jul 24, 2014 11:57 AM

Aug 2009
Anyone here really eager to know more about Lisa? ; __ ;

I want an episode to focus more on the main 3, other than the old men T.T
Jul 24, 2014 11:59 AM
Jul 2014
SunkenShip said:

BUT THE SOUNDTRACK.

That soundtrack is drool
Jul 24, 2014 12:01 PM

Feb 2014
This was an awesome episode!
Looks like the police solved the riddle but it looks like the guys wanted them to do so.
Jul 24, 2014 12:01 PM
Oct 2012
SunkenShip said:

It's not fun for me; I can't solve the riddle, I can't feel it, and I can't get involved. I hope they drop these altogether and focus on outsmarting each other by other means.

Well, the police are a lot better this episode. And thankfully they didn't talk as much or try to solve the riddle themselves. I'm definitely still on board. x)

I don't expect anyone to be able to solve this with ease. This is aimed for the police. Thinking on it, if it was a simple riddle for the public, we'd flip and be really dumbfounded if the police can't figure it out.

Good to see they did some work and got a portrait of the man working at the nuclear facility.
Jul 24, 2014 12:07 PM

Dec 2009
man... I was hoping for a hidden second bomb after the police dis-alarmed it. lol...
woohoo Lisa left her mom.

I wanna see explosions next episode :P
"A man is not his length or his speed. It is how many rounds he can fight." - Gintama
Jul 24, 2014 12:07 PM

Sep 2013
Yet again.. no tension whatsoever.... -sigh-

How can there be tension when there is nothing at stake besides some buildings?

It was completely obvious the detective was going to solve the riddle this episode because otherwise it would have been just a copy of last weeks episode, there are no twists that catch me off guard or any reason to care one way or another.

There is no knowledge of who these kids are, all we know is that they are some psychopath kids, sure we'll get an explanation later, but if we don't know their overall goal now we cannot possible gain any sort of emotion attachment to one side or the other. Is their motivation bad? Is their motivation good? Is the good motivation able to justify blowing up buildings? I have no idea, it doesn't tell me.

The art as usual is spectacular, it really builds atmosphere with it's impressive shading and visual effects, accompanied by the incredible Yoko Kanno for background music, so much goodness there.

It just feels like a waste to me, the characters have no personality, there is nothing at stake besides buildings and there are no themes being brought up. The anime is only 11 episodes, that isn't a lot of time to build tension so why is this a thriller?

Really hoped they wouldn't go the route of Nine and Twelve being from some institution where they build super-soldiers. That is so overdone these days, but that is more of a nitpick, it can be done well.
Jul 24, 2014 12:09 PM
Jul 2018
Another awesome episode.
I guess the political leader who commited suicide was involved with the children experiment,in which 12 and 9 were experimented on.
Jul 24, 2014 12:12 PM
Oct 2012
Keten said:
Yet again.. no tension whatsoever.... -sigh-

How can there be tension when there is nothing at stake besides some buildings?

It was completely obvious the detective was going to solve the riddle this episode because otherwise it would have been just a copy of last weeks episode, there are no twists that catch me off guard or any reason to care one way or another.

There is no knowledge of who these kids are, all we know is that they are some psychopath kids, sure we'll get an explanation later, but if we don't know their overall goal now we cannot possible gain any sort of emotion attachment to one side or the other. Is their motivation bad? Is their motivation good? Is the good motivation able to justify blowing up buildings? I have no idea, it doesn't tell me.

The art as usual is spectacular, it really builds atmosphere with it's impressive shading and visual effects, accompanied by the incredible Yoko Kanno for background music, so much goodness there.

It just feels like a waste to me, the characters have no personality, there is nothing at stake besides buildings and there are no themes being brought up. The anime is only 11 episodes, that isn't a lot of time to build tension so why is this a thriller?

Really hoped they wouldn't go the route of Nine and Twelve being from some institution where they build super-soldiers. That is so overdone these days, but that is more of a nitpick, it can be done well.

From what I can expect, they're doing this small explosions and act of terrorism from the start so others connect them to the nuclear facility, which is the reason why they are doing this. Now here's the key part. They have plutonium which is a very radioactive element and it is in huge qualities, concentrated. Now that people know who they are, we'll see what they have plan this round. I'm sure shit is going to go very very soon.

The soundtrack is amazing as always and envious that songs in the episode is not in the OST. Pissed off.
Jul 24, 2014 12:14 PM

Feb 2012
This show is not death note, please stop bringing it up lol. The themes aren't even the same (or so it seems)

Given some things I have noticed this episode:
- 9 and 12's only interactions with adults during childhood is a loveless one.
- Lisa's childhood is also plagued with a huge disconnect from her parents
- The mock 'puzzles and dragons' game is a perfect example of CONNECTION that the 3 children of the show lack. The seemingly insignificant comedic side character seems to be the only adult in the show that is truly interacting with those of a younger generation. His quip about Shibazaki getting old made me chuckle
- Shibazaki's past: he lived in a town where everyone was old, and didn't leave the house during the summer: The time when children usually get the best time out of their childhood. Another example of disconnect.

So far I'm not sure if the theme here is general disconnect between people, or disconnect between generations in Japan (similar theme in Battle Royale). I think it's both, but leaning towards the latter.
idontwannapostJul 24, 2014 4:48 PM
Jul 24, 2014 12:14 PM

Sep 2013
BRK25 said:

From what I can expect, they're doing this small explosions and act of terrorism from the start so others connect them to the nuclear facility, which is the reason why they are doing this. Now here's the key part. They have plutonium which is a very radioactive element and it is in huge qualities, concentrated. Now that people know who they are, we'll see what they have plan this round. I'm sure shit is going to go very very soon.

The soundtrack is amazing as always and envious that songs in the episode is not in the OST. Pissed off.

I hope so, they have to be planning something with it, preferably something that actually puts me on the edge of my seat.. I just wish they could have made the first episodes more exciting is all. Even if the anime ends up a train wreck though, I can still enjoy the great shading and visual effects they have and the amazing soundtrack.

Edit: Also... If the entire purpose of these bombings was so they could convince the cops that they were behind the plutonium heist. Couldn't they have just.. Idunno.. Told them on their video that they have plutonium? Or less public way, write "Sphinx" somewhere in paint in the factory?
KetenJul 24, 2014 12:18 PM
Jul 24, 2014 12:24 PM
Jul 2018
Shibazaki solved the riddle, he was pretty good.

Loved 9's and 12's reactions to the police when they figured it out where their bomb is.
Jul 24, 2014 12:26 PM
Oct 2012
Keten said:

I hope so, they have to be planning something with it, preferably something that actually puts me on the edge of my seat.. I just wish they could have made the first episodes more exciting is all. Even if the anime ends up a train wreck though, I can still enjoy the great shading and visual effects they have and the amazing soundtrack.

Edit: Also... If the entire purpose of these bombings was so they could convince the cops that they were behind the plutonium heist. Couldn't they have just.. Idunno.. Told them on their video that they have plutonium? Or less public way, write "Sphinx" somewhere in paint in the factory?

that'd be too easy cause where is the rush and hurry to find the individuals if there is no bombing. The bombing is a game to them to send a message and also say that they are behind the plutonium. I'm sure the bomb recovered by the swat team itself is armed with a code or word which will be found when they disarm it piece by piece. Meaning that bomb has either VON or a message for the police now that they've won a single battle.

Von in icelandic means hope and since the OST been made in Iceland, this could be a direct reference to their origins. Or not, who knows. I'm sure now with the police competent, the game of wits begins and the eight episodes left will go crazy. We saw five who is apparently an AMERICAN detective. Which brings me questions as to why she is a direct institution child and went to america or where is the base of operation.
Jul 24, 2014 12:27 PM

Feb 2012
Keten said:
BRK25 said:

The "cause public pandemonium" card can be played. 9 and 12 notice the police department bringing in hazmat suits to the bomb sites. The police department is keeping the plutonium incident hush-hush, and 9 and 12 know that. If they release a video revealing their posession of plutonium, the public will freak out and they'll have the JSDF on their asses. Right now the PD has been avoiding causing an uproar and 9/12 are using that to their advantage.

(I think, lol)
Jul 24, 2014 12:32 PM

Sep 2013
jimjameswhatever said:

The "cause public pandemonium" card can be played. 9 and 12 notice the police department bringing in hazmat suits to the bomb sites. The police department is keeping the plutonium incident hush-hush, and 9 and 12 know that. If they release a video revealing their posession of plutonium, the public will freak out and they'll have the JSDF on their asses. Right now the PD has been avoiding causing an uproar and 9/12 are using that to their advantage.

(I think, lol)

Fair enough. I'll just wait and see I suppose. Though for a "Cause public pandemonium" thing, I wasn't at all caught up in the terror, especially since apparently they don't want to kill anyone. This just doesn't make all that much sense to me as a thriller. lol
Jul 24, 2014 12:35 PM
Oct 2012
There's the fact of how the institution treated the children. I'll post it word for word via sub.

A name is usually a gift of love. But for those of you who have been abandoned, love does not exist. Signs of pretense like that must be eliminated. I will now give you new names to be called.

The way she spoke irked me and I know this is some fucked up event. If there is any reason why nine and twelve act like they do, it is mostly stemmed from the fact they aren't loved and lack the emotions to be remotely sympathetic.

And yes Jim, if the word got out there is plutonium in the hands of terrorist, the world and public will be in disarray. No hope for them.
Jul 24, 2014 12:35 PM
Jul 2014
Keten said:
jimjameswhatever said:

(I think, lol)

Fair enough. I'll just wait and see I suppose. Though for a "Cause public pandemonium" thing, I wasn't at all caught up in the terror, especially since apparently they don't want to kill anyone. This just doesn't make all that much sense to me as a thriller. lol

Then don't watch ;p
Jul 24, 2014 12:38 PM

Jan 2008
Lulexiaa said:
Anyone here really eager to know more about Lisa? ; __ ;

I want an episode to focus more on the main 3, other than the old men T.T

I'm glad there is such a larger focus on 'old men'. As a man in my twenties, I think I can relate more to old men in the police station more than High School aged kids.

The more focus on adults, the better it is for me.
Jul 24, 2014 12:39 PM

Feb 2012
Keten said:
jimjameswhatever said:

(I think, lol)

wait...wat. How does this have anything to do with how you perceive the situation? lol

The public within the context of the story doesn't know a thing. All they know is, "HOLY SHIT THESE KIDS HAVE PLUTONIUM LETS FREAK OUT. THE GOVERNMENT HAS TO DO SOMETHING."
But there's a time and place for everything for every card to be played. Maybe playing that card in the future will somehow give them an advantage (perhaps tied to the suspicious death 15 years ago?)
idontwannapostJul 24, 2014 12:52 PM
Jul 24, 2014 12:42 PM

Feb 2012
I think I know why Nine is spacing out, he just wants to be free!

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2014 12:49 PM

Sep 2013
jimjameswhatever said:

wait...wat. What does this have anything to do with how you perceive the situation? lol

The public within the context of the story doesn't know a thing. All they know is, "HOLY SHIT THESE KIDS HAVE PLUTONIUM LETS FREAK OUT. THE GOVERNMENT HAS TO DO SOMETHING."
But there's a time and place for everything for every card to be played. Maybe playing that card in the future will somehow give them an advantage (perhaps tied to the suspicious death 15 years ago?)

Sorry, I misinterpreted what you said. My bad. I thought you meant they were trying to cause a panic first so that they would be seen more as a threat and I was commented on the fact that there was no tension at all because no one dies. It does add a bit to the story I guess to cause panic with the people, I am just saying it doesn't make for a good thriller is all because they don't show enough of it. As buildup though, I guess it works.

Anyway, still too soon to tell for sure. I am still enjoying it regardless.
Jul 24, 2014 12:55 PM
Jul 2014
kickmesign said:
I think I know why Nine is spacing out, he just wants to be free!

Creeptastic
Jul 24, 2014 12:56 PM

May 2014
Keten said:
While these are valid points, they are focusing on something this episode didn't. They wanted to test the waters to see if someone finally picks up on the clues they leave behind. Their motivation is still a mystery, but it's obviously the whole "child experiment" thing, along with that white haired girl, which will be introduced later(she's in the key visual).

It's a plot driven narrative, and like you mentioned this is only 11 eps, there isn't much room for character fleshing out in between mind games. And take this as such: mind games, not terrorism, even if they're playing it up as "bombing, so bad, so srs". It's a light thriller, not a hollywood action thriller.

The only character drama atm is Lisa, whom I question her relevance to the plot atm.
Jul 24, 2014 12:57 PM

Sep 2012
I think the Thriller genre mislead some people about what to expect with this show. If the writers really intended to make you feel tense about the situation, they would have showed more people dramatically panicking, the policemen rushing to find the bomb while a fast-paced music is played in the background. I think the show is actually more trying to stir up our curiosity in the characters by dropping some hints here and there that would lead us to ask questions about their origins and motivations.

For the moment, the mystery behind the characters, the ingenuity of those riddles, the atmosphere, and the quality of the writing are the main things to appreciate about this show. And that's more than enough for me.

BTW, I freaking love that OST, saga is so freaking cool.
Jul 24, 2014 12:59 PM

Feb 2012
Keten said:
jimjameswhatever said:

wait...wat. What does this have anything to do with how you perceive the situation? lol

Sorry, I misinterpreted what you said. My bad. I thought you meant they were trying to cause a panic first so that they would be seen more as a threat and I was commented on the fact that there was no tension at all because no one dies. It does add a bit to the story I guess to cause panic with the people, I am just saying it doesn't make for a good thriller is all because they don't show enough of it. As buildup though, I guess it works.

Anyway, still too soon to tell for sure. I am still enjoying it regardless.

The tension comes from:
- what is the true intentions behind 9 and 12? I can almost guarantee you it's not as simplistic as "rid the world of evil"
- what is to become of Lisa? What role does she play in all of this?
- how does Shibasaki view these recent turn of events? Once again, I can almost guarantee you it's not as simplistic as "This is personal to me because of the atomic bombing in hiroshima" (He even ignored that suggestion when being briefed in the park)

and to answer this:
Keten said:
there is nothing at stake besides buildings and there are no themes being brought up..

my post from page 2:
jimjameswhatever said:
This show is not death note, please stop bringing it up lol. The themes aren't even the same (or so it seems)

Given some things I have noticed this episode:
- 9 and 12's only interactions with adults during childhood is a loveless one.
- Lisa's childhood is also plagued with a huge disconnect from her parents
- The mock 'dungeons and dragons' game is a perfect example of CONNECTION that the 3 children of the show lack. The seemingly insignificant comedic side character seems to be the only adult in the show that is truly interacting with those of a younger generation. His quip about Shibazaki getting old made me chuckle
- Shibazaki's past: he lived in a town where everyone was old, and didn't leave the house during the summer: The time when children usually get the best time out of their childhood. Another example of disconnect.

So far I'm not sure if the theme here is general disconnect between people, or disconnect between generations in Japan (similar theme in Battle Royale). I think it's both, but leaning towards the latter.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

380 by Yavicci »»
Apr 24, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2014

866 by Pain »»
Apr 21, 7:47 PM

» Boring

egosumjohn - Aug 30, 2023

22 by Pain »»
Apr 21, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2014

448 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 14, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Naruleach - Jul 5, 2014

422 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 14, 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.