Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 26, 2014 4:24 AM

Dec 2010
Ok, this episode puts the anime kinda back on track, after giving some development to the characters.
Jul 26, 2014 7:15 AM

Aug 2013
So Tokimune is searching for his sisters killer. I wonder how that plays into the plot.
My Candies:
Jul 26, 2014 7:23 AM

Sep 2011
Raziel1991 said:
You know, I like flawed characters just like everyone else, the problem here is that Tokimune has exactly the very same flaws that craploads of other shounen protagonists have and that makes the main character of this show just bland and generic. And I agree with L-Ryoshi. I think Tokimunes punsihment was not enough. Under normal circumstances if you disobey orders in a warzone not just once but twice its only natural for you to be court martialed and I dont care how much of rookie he is, absolutely everyone in the army is expected to follow orders. The captain himself said this at the end of the episode I think. An army with no discipline is not an army that can be taken seriously.

Yeah pretty much, They simply didnt think this part through carefully, its really starting to feel like a cheap and sloppy gundam 08th ms team knock off.

A shame that we finally get a show focusing on soldiers ended up being a show that doesnt understand remotely how a military works and instead romanticizes the whole thing in the worst way possible so that its going to end up overglorifying war, the way they handled this tokimune situation is that they inadvertently praised disobeying orders and that by doing so you can gain great rewards, they should had made tokimune get thrown in jail and face a court martial like you said.

I still think the series has the chance of bouncing back but im sure the director will fuck it up after learning the guy's track record. Especially considering this series' pacing doesnt seem to realize its only a 24 episode series and not a 50 ep one leading me to think this will be a rushed mess in the end if this pacing doesnt start picking up soon ultimately wasting the advantage of the 2 cour run time it has.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 26, 2014 3:06 PM

Apr 2010
That shower scene was ugghhh bad. Those white censor lines were blinding me hard.

OK, so I enjoy the artificial world this show has created, but I need to know more about it. Can we get like a map shot of the planet, how big the countries are in relation to each other, what the continent looks like, etc.? This is like watching Game of Thrones without knowing what Westeros looks like.

I'm not entirely satisfied with how they handled the MC's disobeying orders thing but at least they addressed it and indicated the commander was seriously pissed off at him.

I don't really mind the MC that much, but the character that gets on my nerves is the loli-engineer girl arrrgh.

I'm expecting great things from Takahiro Sakurai's character so yeah hope it doesn't disappoint me.
Jul 26, 2014 10:00 PM

Dec 2012
JizzyHitler said:
Raziel1991 said:
You know, I like flawed characters just like everyone else, the problem here is that Tokimune has exactly the very same flaws that craploads of other shounen protagonists have and that makes the main character of this show just bland and generic. And I agree with L-Ryoshi. I think Tokimunes punsihment was not enough. Under normal circumstances if you disobey orders in a warzone not just once but twice its only natural for you to be court martialed and I dont care how much of rookie he is, absolutely everyone in the army is expected to follow orders. The captain himself said this at the end of the episode I think. An army with no discipline is not an army that can be taken seriously.

Yeah pretty much, They simply didnt think this part through carefully, its really starting to feel like a cheap and sloppy gundam 08th ms team knock off.

A shame that we finally get a show focusing on soldiers ended up being a show that doesnt understand remotely how a military works and instead romanticizes the whole thing in the worst way possible so that its going to end up overglorifying war, the way they handled this tokimune situation is that they inadvertently praised disobeying orders and that by doing so you can gain great rewards, they should had made tokimune get thrown in jail and face a court martial like you said.

I still think the series has the chance of bouncing back but im sure the director will fuck it up after learning the guy's track record. Especially considering this series' pacing doesnt seem to realize its only a 24 episode series and not a 50 ep one leading me to think this will be a rushed mess in the end if this pacing doesnt start picking up soon ultimately wasting the advantage of the 2 cour run time it has.

I don't think this show has one-sidedly "praised disobeying orders." The captain made it quite clear to Tokimune that his actions weren't appropriate for a soldier, even though they might not have been entirely wrong, either. The response of the other soldiers to Tokimune's actions ranged from beating him up out of rage to "I'm not sure if I'd have done what you did or not."

The issue of "should authority be obeyed" isn't a simple question with a simple answer. With a few minutes on the internet I could likely come up with numerous historical examples where disobeying orders was "right," as well as numerous examples where disobeying orders was "wrong." The way this show is going, I'm starting to get the impression that they understand that.

On the other hand, I'm also concerned with the pacing in this show. I'm not quite sure what they're trying to do with it yet, but I'm concerned it will be something that will take more than 24 episodes to do well.

AICW said:
I don't really mind the MC that much, but the character that gets on my nerves is the loli-engineer girl arrrgh.

What don't you like about her? Surely it's not her realistic reaction to being drafted. I'm a little surprised to hear you call her a 'loli' as well - she is certainly short but the impression I have (which may be false) is that every character in this show, Jamie included, is too old to be in high school.
Jul 27, 2014 1:45 AM

Jul 2013
Still havent really found a character I genuinely like/ care about at all but for some reason I still find myself looking forward to watching a new ep on Thursdays, maybe cause I really want to see an all out battle again like we saw in episode 1 or something I don't know.
They haven't really talked that much about the opposing faction yet which kind of sucks because I find them a hell of a lot more interesting than the one we're following. Oh wells, maybe next ep.
Luckily the OP music will keep me from dropping this for a while :p
Legal_LatinoJul 27, 2014 1:48 AM
The best anime is the Road to El Dorado
Jul 27, 2014 2:10 AM

May 2013
Kill off Tokimune's development or I'll punch you, creator of the show.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jul 27, 2014 2:16 AM

Jan 2013
1. Were the orders "wrong" or "unfair"?
2. Have the protag ever asked his superior about them?
3. Did he really do the "right" thing?
4. Does he even think at all?

Do ponder, please do.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 27, 2014 3:29 AM

Jul 2014
opondica said:
JizzyHitler said:

I don't think this show has one-sidedly "praised disobeying orders." The captain made it quite clear to Tokimune that his actions weren't appropriate for a soldier, even though they might not have been entirely wrong, either. The response of the other soldiers to Tokimune's actions ranged from beating him up out of rage to "I'm not sure if I'd have done what you did or not."

The issue of "should authority be obeyed" isn't a simple question with a simple answer. With a few minutes on the internet I could likely come up with numerous historical examples where disobeying orders was "right," as well as numerous examples where disobeying orders was "wrong." The way this show is going, I'm starting to get the impression that they understand that.

On the other hand, I'm also concerned with the pacing in this show. I'm not quite sure what they're trying to do with it yet, but I'm concerned it will be something that will take more than 24 episodes to do well.

AICW said:

What don't you like about her? Surely it's not her realistic reaction to being drafted. I'm a little surprised to hear you call her a 'loli' as well - she is certainly short but the impression I have (which may be false) is that every character in this show, Jamie included, is too old to be in high school.

The Holocaust (Yes, it really happened and it is not just one big conspiracy theory.) -- one example, albeit slightly extreme, of a whole bunch of soldiers just "following orders." I know a lot of people are complaining about Tokimune not following orders, but I think that one of the questions that the show is trying to pose is whether or not the right thing to do is to always blindly obey. As to whether or not the show does a good job of executing this theme... well, that's an entirely different story.

As of right now, the pacing seems like it's on track -- we've 3 episodes of combat and 1 episode of character growth and development, so people are going places and doing things and the plot is trodding along. I'm curious as to where they're planning on taking everything, though, since I can't see what direction they're heading: this train could derail at any moment, I fear...
Jul 27, 2014 9:17 AM

Dec 2011
Well Tokimune is clearly to going to get better as time passes and will probably surpass his status of pathetic MC, another "meh" to decent episode.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Jul 27, 2014 9:57 AM

Feb 2013
Wow. What a terrible, slow episode. The action bits are the only decent thing this anime has going for it, and this episode had none.

Shower censoring was just awful... they could have at least steamed it up so the censoring was less OBVIOUS!
Jul 27, 2014 12:38 PM

Mar 2011
KazukiTachibana said:
opondica said:

The Holocaust (Yes, it really happened and it is not just one big conspiracy theory.) -- one example, albeit slightly extreme, of a whole bunch of soldiers just "following orders." I know a lot of people are complaining about Tokimune not following orders, but I think that one of the questions that the show is trying to pose is whether or not the right thing to do is to always blindly obey. As to whether or not the show does a good job of executing this theme... well, that's an entirely different story.

As of right now, the pacing seems like it's on track -- we've 3 episodes of combat and 1 episode of character growth and development, so people are going places and doing things and the plot is trodding along. I'm curious as to where they're planning on taking everything, though, since I can't see what direction they're heading: this train could derail at any moment, I fear...

Errr, your comparison does not make any sense. The holocaust happened mainly on concentration camps not on the battlefield. On the battlefield, disobeying orders and playing hero gets you killed and the worst part is that you put your comrades in danger as well. Modern wars are won through strategy and discipline, do you realize what would happen if each soldier did not give a shit about orders and just charged in the open against the enemy?

And yes, according to this show disobeying orders is not something important. If I remember correctly the captain at the end said something like this "under normal circumstaces you would be court martialed but I personally think what you did was ok, so you are free to go." This captain is literally asking his soldiers to not respect his authority.
Jul 27, 2014 5:09 PM

Jul 2010
I'm liking the MC so far. I guess he's quite different from the others generic MCs of mecha shows not that I mean he's outstanding but, it's fine.

Also, the hints lead me to think that Tokimune's sister was an acquaintance of Samonji, and to the other guy. This is going towards the tragedy btw, although it won't be that bold I guess.
Jul 28, 2014 8:36 AM

Sep 2008
"How did you feel about it?"

You know, for a minute there I thought he is actually gonna get scolded. Instead captain basically told him "Well, you disobeyed orders, I should have shot you for that but hell, if it makes you feel good keep at it".

Nice way to get rookie killed. And the rest of the squad as well. But who am I kidding?
Turns out that mecha can not be reprogrammed for another pilot. Nice programming there guys, I am sure military is gonna have great use for all that mecha scrap if pilot dies.

You know, by now my whining is starting to annoy me as well as it annoys you. I am currently at only ~250 watched shows, no reason to punish myself by watching trash. Have fun
Jul 28, 2014 9:07 AM

Mar 2008
Quite wonderful. Apart from that overt censoring and the usual animation struggle, there's a lot to like about the grounded handling of this war-drama.

Of all things from this episode, the 'avenging' of MC's sister seems like a dangerous stretch for the show to take - but it could work out depending on the circumstances of all that.

And for once in a show the "incompetent" army HQ brass have arguments that actually seem somewhat grounded in strategic basis. Shocking.
Jul 28, 2014 11:25 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
KazukiTachibana said:

Have you been active in the Aldnoah forums? People there have been riding on Inaho's dick so hard that it's sickening. "omg he's such a badass" "so stoic!" "i like him a lot! he's so smart" Ugh...

Say what you will about Tokimune, but at least he somewhat resembles a real, "green," human being, albeit incredibly naive. Now, don't get me wrong -- Tokimune also frustrates me, so I'm agreeing on that part, but at least it's because of his personality and naivete, as opposed to Inaho's lack of said human characteristics and traits. Tokimune has room to grow; Inaho has... well, now they have to give him a personality, I guess?

Argevollen is so under-rated. It's a shame.

I haven't been active but I've been lurking a lot so I do see all the posts in each of the discussion threads until the next episode when I start watching the current episode thread and stop watching the previous one. Anyways, I still see a lot of people complaining about Inaho. I did say there are less complaints now after episode 3, but there are still many who dislike him. My main point I was trying to make was that the poster I quoted was wrong, not everyone likes "a soft spoken omniscient badass a la Mahouka or Aldnoah." Tatsuya is a better example just because he's gone a lot of hate and over most of the series so far too, and he's just like the guy said, soft spoken and badass. Basically some people prefer soft spoken badasses while others hate them. Others prefer hot-blooded characters while some people don't. And some people complain about both, kind of like what Kaoishin_Sama said.
Kaioshin_Sama said:
It's funny how absolutely hit or miss sci-fi MC characters can be these days and how there's a very razor thin line between a great one and one that is utterly revolting to people/

I don't prefer Inaho over Tokimune, I think both have time to become better characters/people. I think they both have their appeals so far. Tokimune started out more frustrating to watch, but I like him more now after this episode. Don't really want to go into Inaho since it's not A.Z thread.

Argevollen is definitely under-watched compared to A.Z though.
tingyJul 28, 2014 11:31 AM
Jul 30, 2014 7:49 AM

Jul 2011
the best episode so far, thank god im giving this anime a second chance after consider dropping it after reading some opinions about it, still couldnt understand why people hate this anime so much, it's one of the lowest rated show so far this season.

I love how the writer makes all the characters act realistically, it's a rare thing to see in modern anime nowadays, maybe that's why i feel that this anime has those 90s atmosphere about it.
Jul 30, 2014 8:29 AM

May 2014
millo said:
it's one of the lowest rated show so far this season.
Heheh, you haven't looked at Shounen Hollywood. Nobunaga Concerto is also rated pretty low.

Anyhow it's somewhat realistic, but at the same time romanticised. As well as the reasons why the mech can't be reprogrammed and Jamie's reason to stay felt a bit contrived.
Jul 30, 2014 10:51 AM

Oct 2011
Tokimune development episode.

Jaime has to stay with them,

I don't trust that guy at all

Captain and his sister were lovers??
Aug 1, 2014 1:54 AM

Apr 2008
Nothing too amazing but eh.. at least it was better than the 4th episode of Aldnoah...
Aug 1, 2014 11:14 AM

Jul 2014
So far it has been a really well-written war drama. The problem is that it's the only appeal - it's not especially spectacular, good in mecha designs or beautifully animated. For me that's enough: I'm glad to watch a show about adult military personnel in a war, where both sides are human. The characters act like normal people too.
The mecha seems unnecessary though. If it was, say, a new model of tank, it would be better in a way.

The first worrying motives appeared in this episode. The first is that the captain gave Tokimune free pass for heroics. Well, he warned him that his actions, if harmful for the squad, would have consequences, but still... Though this part I can explain - obviously, captain in his cynical state is not a happy person, even by war standards.

The more strange detail was Tokimune dreaming of avenging his sister. As far as I understood she was in the military too. People die at war. You can revenge someone by killing soldiers of opposite side, but ususally it's useless to plan to find the exact person, who killed someone on the battlefield. But maybe I'm mistaken about the whole situation, since we know little about her death.

I hope that they'll develop this in the less stupid way.

Also I agree that the slow pacing starts to worry me. I already watch this show in a packs of two episodes. It'd be good if they picked up the speed a little. I don't mean cutting on dialogues - they're very good, but maybe cut on slow walking scenes.
deadoptimistAug 1, 2014 11:26 AM
Aug 30, 2014 11:28 AM

May 2012
18:44 totally expected

19:24 LOOOL

7/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Oct 1, 2014 2:56 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

I find the episode makes sense, it has to build something, not only to see war and destruction, no?
Realistic narrative, except the part about the showers, it seemed as if they had cut a passage.
Technical enough, the graphics also dropped it a little bit.
I hope that in BD is done a great job to improve the TV series from the graphical point of view, it would attract more users, I think! : P
Oct 7, 2014 6:41 PM

Jul 2012
This show isn't as bad as everyone says but it's just very dull and slow.
Apr 11, 2016 4:09 AM

Aug 2013
For a moment I thought Tokimune was peeking at his girl in the phone.. my bad. XD
All those higher ups can just kick the bucket, at times like this I always cheer for the enemy side to wipe them out.
Really funny how these relationship goes and I wonder why mr. captain-san in these types of mecha anime never resonate with me pfft.
In the end though despite what sweet things were said, I still think Tokimune would've been shot dead if it wasn't for mech LOL.
The mc however usually grows on me and I hope it'll be the same case with Tokimune.
Curse those bloody censors, couldn't get the bd releases damn it.
Why is Argevollen so underrated kusoooo'. *flips table*
Jan 4, 2017 8:04 PM

Nov 2013
Good episode.

Tokimune is now officially the pilot. Jamie is pressured by the company guy to stay with Argevollen. I feel sorry for her, but she should have expected that.

Samonji decided not to punish him. Well, like I already said, they can't really punish him, even if they wanted to.

So Tokimune joined the military to learn the truth about the death of his sister.

Okui acted like a dick this episode. I don't like him.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Mar 11, 2017 7:26 AM

Jun 2013
Wow, i thought that this was a really good episode!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

72 by oooo3333 »»
Dec 6, 2020 12:07 AM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2014

31 by oooo3333 »»
Nov 25, 2020 1:21 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

74 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 16, 2017 7:10 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

91 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 10, 2017 1:44 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2014

194 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 8, 2017 5:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.