Forum Settings
Forums

Who do you think is the best female character in anime and why?

New
May 30, 2014 3:25 PM

Nov 2011
I just finished Rose of Versailles a while back and I must say Oscar is by far the best female lead I've ever seen in an anime. A lot of serious and so called bad ass woman in anime give off a rather narcissistic impression like she's better than you and she knows it. Oscar on the other hand is a strong willed woman who sincerely cares about those around her and although she's a bit of a rebel early in the series she never comes off as nasty. She has a sense of humor that many serious characters lack and doesn't come off as depressing or bleak. Her role as being raised as a man and her questioning of her sexuality puts her in a rather intriguing state of conflict. Compared to modern anime female characters she comes off as very refreshing.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 30, 2014 3:27 PM

Aug 2013
Erza - pure badass and sexy as hell
May 30, 2014 3:27 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I.E: everyone post your waifus thread
May 30, 2014 3:28 PM

Jan 2013
Kirito from Sord art online II. not only is she a strong willed woman but she also uses a lasersword like obi wan kenobi yoda guy. she can cut through bullets with her force power and cuts with the sword

That's how I like the woman in the show
May 30, 2014 3:29 PM

Sep 2011
Ryuko

This anime has honestly changed my life.

I went into it not expecting much, considering that was hyped to shit. Holy fucking shit, was I blown away. I was hooked, like a baby to a tit with creamy foamy milk. I could feel the energy and hype flowing through my body, bringing light to my dull life. I resonated with Ryuko. I could feel her struggle and her desire to surpass her limitations, something that struck me hard. Everything suddenly stopped when I heard the words:

DON'T LOSE YOUR WAAAAAYYYYYYYYY

and I started trembling. That was me, I feel like I've been "losing my way" these past years. I haven't been able to hold a steady job, my grades were starting to slip, and my parents suspect that I'm gay. It was right then and there that I knew that I had to get my shit together. I can't think of any other anime that has had such a profound effect on me, let alone on the first episode. Tomorrow, I'm going to be a better person. Thank you, Kill la Kill, thank you Trigger.

I won't lose my way.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
May 30, 2014 3:29 PM

Nov 2011
HaXXspetten said:
Can we avoid the waifu crap please? I was hoping for legitimate responses that reflect more interest in more strong willed women.
May 30, 2014 3:31 PM
Jan 2013
DragonQuest3 said:
HaXXspetten said:
Can we avoid the waifu crap please? I was hoping for legitimate responses that reflect more interest in more strong willed women.

So strong willed woman can only be the best? Hating on my cute girls and shit.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2014 3:31 PM

Dec 2013
any moe female is my favorite b/c kawaii
Combating against hoax MAL accounts and intentional down voting of objectively great anime. Pls join
May 30, 2014 3:32 PM

Jun 2008
The very question is malformed.

To imply that people should even get to voice an opinion on something which is objectively known to be true is quite comical.

It's Momo, and all of you can now get on your knees and beg for forgiveness....naturally since Momo is perfect, you will be forgiven, but not before a harsh BUT fair penalty.
May 30, 2014 3:32 PM

Mar 2014
TheNaturalPerm said:
Kirito from Sord art online II. not only is she a strong willed woman but she also uses a lasersword like obi wan kenobi yoda guy. she can cut through bullets with her force power and cuts with the sword

That's how I like the woman in the show

lolol

Anna Liebert, because she is the sister of Johan.
May 30, 2014 3:35 PM

Apr 2012
Eva from Monster because she is the biggest ho in animu history

May 30, 2014 3:36 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well if you want a super deep answer, as far as pure writing goes then I think Yuuko-sensei from Muv-Luv Alternative is most likely the most impressive female character I've ever seen. The sheer amount of impact she had on the complex story is probably bigger than even the protag himself which is not something you'd normally ever see from a female character that isn't even a part of the 'main' character group, and definitely not any sort of love interest.
May 30, 2014 3:39 PM

Sep 2012
Haruhi Suzumiya

Senjougahara from monogatari also works
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
May 30, 2014 3:41 PM

Dec 2012
Probably Kurapika becaus-

I'm going to say Balsa from Seirei no Moribito. Don't let the title "30 year old virgin" fool you, this woman is a true winner. She's an incredible mix of wise, strong, and witty. It's even more interesting to see how her maternal instincts clash with her tomboy upbringing.

And now for my obligatory Nagisa Furukawa post -

I think Nagisa from Clannad is single handedly one of the most misunderstood anime characters. Ironically she's hated and loved for the same reasons - she's ditsy, cutesy, fragile, seemingly submissive waifu material. However, I feel like she's an extremely strong and admirable character in her own rights and extremely underestimated by the whole "moe" facade.
May 30, 2014 3:42 PM

Sep 2012
Drama_Enthusiast said:
any moe female is my favorite b/c kawaii

That username! haha!

Hana from Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki is the only answer!
May 30, 2014 3:43 PM

Nov 2011
HaXXspetten said:
Well if you want a super deep answer, as far as pure writing goes then I think Yuuko-sensei from Muv-Luv Alternative is most likely the most impressive female character I've ever seen. The sheer amount of impact she had on the complex story is probably bigger than even the protag himself which is not something you'd normally ever see from a female character that isn't even a part of the 'main' character group, and definitely not any sort of love interest.

Sounds interesting perhaps I'll check this anime out after I'm finished with macross and perhaps Xabungle. Honestly I just wanted answers that weren't shit posts about looks and highschool Moe cookie cutters. I know everyone here is a comedian but I really want to give some time to honor the actually great women of anime.
May 30, 2014 3:44 PM

Jun 2013
Gosh, now this is a subjective question with lots of potential to start arguments/fights.

Best female character is obviously Sakura and Orihime. Pffff you guys don't know shit about anime do you?
May 30, 2014 3:47 PM

Nov 2011
Ratohnhaketon said:
Probably Kurapika becaus-

I'm going to say Balsa from Seirei no Moribito. Don't let the title "30 year old virgin" fool you, this woman is a true winner. She's an incredible mix of wise, strong, and witty. It's even more interesting to see how her maternal instincts clash with her tomboy upbringing.

And now for my obligatory Nagisa Furukawa post -

I think Nagisa from Clannad is single handedly one of the most misunderstood anime characters. Ironically she's hated and loved for the same reasons - she's ditsy, cutesy, fragile, seemingly submissive waifu material. However, I feel like she's an extremely strong and admirable character in her own rights and extremely underestimated by the whole "moe" facade.
Almost died at Karapika lol.
May 30, 2014 3:47 PM

Dec 2013
DragonQuest3 said:
HaXXspetten said:

Sounds interesting perhaps I'll check this anime out after I'm finished with macross and perhaps Xabungle. Honestly I just wanted answers that weren't shit posts about looks and highschool Moe cookie cutters. I know everyone here is a comedian but I really want to give some time to honor the actually great women of anime.

muv love alternative was pretty shit-tier. I wouldn't waste my time on it.
Combating against hoax MAL accounts and intentional down voting of objectively great anime. Pls join
May 30, 2014 3:49 PM
Dec 2013
Ushio Okazaki, for making a lasting impression in only 5 episodes.
May 30, 2014 3:50 PM

Nov 2011
AnimeSweden said:
Gosh, now this is a subjective question with lots of potential to start arguments/fights.

Best female character is obviously Sakura and Orihime. Pffff you guys don't know shit about anime do you?
Perhaps you should give reasoning as to why they're the best?
May 30, 2014 3:52 PM

May 2013
Revy- Black lagoon

She is amazing so OP with handguns and she takes no shit from anyone luv her! x)
Be It 10 or 1000 Men, The End Result Will Be The Same..
May 30, 2014 3:53 PM

Sep 2012
I'd love for some sort of prequel anime all about Claudia McCunnen.
May 30, 2014 3:55 PM

Aug 2013
Erza is such a great female character because she was able to become Fairy Tail's strongest female magician and acquire the nick name Titania (queen of the fairies) through hard work. She has a great sense of honor and camaraderie and even though she exudes a tough exterior she can be swayed by emotion.
May 30, 2014 3:58 PM

Dec 2012
Senjougahara Hitagi.

It's not even remotely close.
May 30, 2014 3:58 PM

Nov 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
Erza is such a great female character because she was able to become Fairy Tail's strongest female magician and acquire the nick name Titania (queen of the fairies) through hard work. She has a great sense of honor and camaraderie and even though she exudes a tough exterior she can be swayed by emotion.
Have you seen Rose of Versailles?
May 30, 2014 3:59 PM

Aug 2013
DragonQuest3 said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Not yet.
May 30, 2014 4:02 PM

Feb 2013
Konata because she raises awareness of the socioeconomical problems otaku face in the modern japanese society, the overwhelming heightism present even in a developed country, the psychological dillema of having natural blue hair in an otherwise normal world, the insightful social commentary she provides every episode whom everyone can identify with, her extremely touching back story (being raised by a single father and all that) and overall kawaii-ness.

Her relationship with her group of friends is also extremely well written, as we can see that she can make friends, and bring together, very different kinds of people, making it obvious that we need more female characters like her both in anime, and in real life. Not to mention, the post-modernist absurd-philosophical socratic dialogue she has in the first episode about eating chocolate cornets immediatly cements her as THE female character of our generation.

Compared to old female characters, she comes off very refreshing, as her views on life reflect the modern society better than anything that came before her, and it will certainly stay like this for a long time. Lucky Star is Kyoto Animation's Magnum opus in no small part due to Konata.
May 30, 2014 4:02 PM

Nov 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
DragonQuest3 said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Not yet.
Ahh its quite excellent and lives up to the hype. Does not hold back from brutality the way you would expect a shoujo to do.
May 30, 2014 4:04 PM

Nov 2011
AnimeSweden said:
DragonQuest3 said:
AnimeSweden said:

I hope you realize that I was joking. There's a high chance this thread is gonna turn into another of those listing threads were people only write names with no explanation at all. I can almost smell the moderators writing "Thread locked".
There's plenty of people giving legitimate and well thought out responses. More so than I expected tbh.
May 30, 2014 4:09 PM

Jun 2013
DragonQuest3 said:

There's plenty of people giving legitimate and well thought out responses. More so than I expected tbh.

Didn't have time to fully edit my comment, so here I'll post it all again.

I hope you realize that I was joking. There's a high chance this thread is gonna turn into another of those listing threads were people only write names with no explanation at all. I can almost smell the moderators writing "Thread locked".

But to give an example of a female character and personality that I like, Kagura from Gintama. Easily one of my favorite characters! As a woman she isn't solely relying on her boobs in order to get people to like her. She's very funny and stands as the source for many funny moments in Gintama. I haven't seen all of Gintama yet, but from what I've seen she also has an interesting story. Her clothes and overal design is also special and unique if you compare it to other female characters. ¨
What else... She is trustworthy and loyal. There's a bit of tsundere in her alright, but it's not overshadowing her overal personality.

A funny, strong and loyal girl who doesn't rely on sex appeal to be liked. That sums up Kagura pretty nicely in my opinion.
May 30, 2014 4:10 PM

Oct 2010
Ayumu Kasuga because she is an amazing comedic source with her absurdism and her mind working at its very own wavelength, as well as a wonderful mood-filled character who manages to transmit her carefree happiness. There are more developed characters out there, but very few that actually accomplish what she does: change the mood around her and in the audience with her sole presence.
May 30, 2014 4:18 PM

Aug 2013
DragonQuest3 said:
DrGeroCreation said:
DragonQuest3 said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Not yet.
Ahh its quite excellent and lives up to the hype. Does not hold back from brutality the way you would expect a shoujo to do.
I have to check it out sometime, the story and setting intrigues me.
May 30, 2014 4:25 PM

Dec 2012
DragonQuest3 said:
AnimeSweden said:

Perhaps you should give reasoning as to why "waifu," "modern" or "moe" are mutually exclusive with "strong willed." Or perhaps you shouldn't because you're just obviously wrong.

I'm not going to even begin pretend that I have any right to say who the best female character in anime is when according to mal.oko.im I have watched ~2% of all anime. But I know my favorite anime character (or at least one of them) is Saten Ruiko. To bring this back to the issue of modern and moe versus strength of will, the entire reason I like her is because her character arc in Railgun is about her transitioning from being a 'weak' person who feels neglected by society to someone who is able to support her friends just as much as they support her, and who I would be hard-pressed not to describe as a person who has achieved strength through trial.
May 30, 2014 4:26 PM

Nov 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
DragonQuest3 said:
DrGeroCreation said:
DragonQuest3 said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Not yet.
I have to check it out sometime, the story and setting intrigues me.
I can't say how much of the story is actually true but it is an excellent work of historical drama. There is a few shoujo moments but the story has an intense tone and deals with plenty of mature subjects like child death and poverty. Anyway I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

opondica said:
DragonQuest3 said:
AnimeSweden said:

Perhaps you should give reasoning as to why "waifu," "modern" or "moe" are mutually exclusive with "strong willed." Or perhaps you shouldn't because you're just obviously wrong.

I'm not going to even begin pretend that I have any right to say who the best female character in anime is when according to mal.oko.im I have watched ~2% of all anime. But I know my favorite anime character (or at least one of them) is Saten Ruiko. To bring this back to the issue of modern and moe versus strength of will, the entire reason I like her is because her character arc in Railgun is about her transitioning from being a 'weak' person who feels neglected by society to someone who is able to support her friends just as much as they support her, and who I would be hard-pressed not to describe as a person who has achieved strength through trial.

Perhaps you misunderstood me but I meant to suggest I want to avoid fanboy comments from guys who think anime women are best when treated as fantasy sex objects.

Mod Edit: Merged posts; please use the edit button.
julyanMay 30, 2014 10:42 PM
May 30, 2014 4:33 PM

Apr 2014
From what I've seen probably Holo from spice and wolf.

I like the shepherd girl Nora in that show too, and how Holo acts around her.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
May 30, 2014 4:36 PM

May 2014
C.C from Code Geass because why not
May 30, 2014 4:45 PM

Oct 2010
It kind of bugs me that good characters are inequivocally associated with strong will. I admire many characters for their will if that's the question. But when it comes to having a favorite, there has to be a level of emotional attachment. Rather than admiring a female character as a role model, being able to see and feel through her. Mima from Perfect Blue is the epitome of a weak and influentiable personality; she is, as well, a hell of a character and her introspective ride, one of the most fascinating emotional experiences in anime.
May 30, 2014 4:50 PM

Nov 2011
jal90 said:
It kind of bugs me that good characters are inequivocally associated with strong will. I admire many characters for their will if that's the question. But when it comes to having a favorite, there has to be a level of emotional attachment. Rather than admiring a female character as a role model, being able to see and feel through her. Mima from Perfect Blue is the epitome of a weak and influentiable personality; she is, as well, a hell of a character and her introspective ride, one of the most fascinating emotional experiences in anime.
Well I agree with youI think a strong willed character is best if you can feel attachment to her, and weak characters can be good too. Perhaps I was too hasty I just want to give credit to well developed women instead of cookie cutters and waifu fantasy Moe blobs. Im no master of vocabulary.
May 30, 2014 5:00 PM

Dec 2012
jal90 said:

That's the thing, though.

So many people want fictional characters to be role models or to serve as standards for how they should act. On the one hand, I get it - there are characters I've seen in anime who certainly I look up to and who I might want to model some aspect of my life after. But on the other hand, you can learn as much (if not more) from someone who is a complete failure and who you would never want to emulate as you can from someone. Personally I find the strongest influences stories have had on me is by virtue of what I rejected, rather than what I looked up to, in them.

DragonQuest3 said:
jal90 said:
Well I agree with youI think a strong willed character is best if you can feel attachment to her, and weak characters can be good too. Perhaps I was too hasty I just want to give credit to well developed women instead of cookie cutters and waifu fantasy Moe blobs. Im no master of vocabulary.

I'm starting to get skeptical that you're having any sort of serious discussion as opposed to attempting to pull the chains of fans of moe.

I'll assume for now that you're serious. I looked at your anime list and you don't seem to actually have watched any full-on moe anime. Perhaps after sleeping through two seasons and one movie of K-On, you can come back and explain to me why the only reason I could possibly like any of the characters is because they're waifu fantasy moe blobs who are weak of will and poorly developed.
May 30, 2014 5:01 PM

Oct 2010
The problem with this "cookie cutters and waifu fantasy moe blobs" thing is that you are dumbing down reasons and choices that are very well justified. Saying that one character is your favorite because it makes you smile or puts you in a good mood is indeed a simple reason, but at the same time a very essential one and it hints at a potentially powerful emotional attachment.And I don't conceive any better way to describe a favorite character than talking about attachment.
jal90May 30, 2014 5:09 PM
May 30, 2014 5:06 PM

Apr 2014
As much as I'd like to comment on this, I can't because I believe I have not yet seen enough anime to pass judgement on this topic xD

May 30, 2014 5:07 PM

Jan 2012
Mikasa Ackerman from Attack On Titan : she is strong-useful and got abs too.

http://www.nautiljon.com/images/perso/00/51/mikasa_ackerman_9415.jpg?0

May 30, 2014 5:09 PM

Aug 2013
If moe female characters are also included then I will include Belldandy and Mizuho Kazami They are very moe without having to look prepubescent or like moe blobs like the moe characters you would find in shows like K-On, Lucky Star etc.
May 30, 2014 5:14 PM

Jun 2013
AnimeKazegake said:

That right there has to be the most shallow reasoning I've ever seen XD
May 30, 2014 5:16 PM

Oct 2012
The Major, not only is she one of the most well written female characters but also one of the most well written characters of all time period. Lain was pretty good to, but honestly other than that it's slim pickings.
ShrabsterMay 30, 2014 5:20 PM

May 30, 2014 5:17 PM

Sep 2013
Watashi is the pinnacle of goddess.
what are you doing guys.
May 30, 2014 5:19 PM

Mar 2012
http://myanimelist.net/character/22306/Kosaka_Chihiro

You don't need good look or talent to be special.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 30, 2014 5:20 PM

Jan 2012
AnimeSweden said:
AnimeKazegake said:

That right there has to be the most shallow reasoning I've ever seen XD

lol And I forget she got a good personality too she is brave and loyal to her comrade.

May 30, 2014 5:25 PM

Nov 2012
Wanting to stick your dick in them =/= good. The thread's about the best female character, not your waifu.

JustALEX said:
The very question is malformed.

To imply that people should even get to voice an opinion on something which is objectively known to be true is quite comical.

It's Momo, and all of you can now get on your knees and beg for forgiveness....naturally since Momo is perfect, you will be forgiven, but not before a harsh BUT fair penalty.
If I didn't know any better I'd say you were two timing Moka
CursedDangerMay 30, 2014 5:28 PM
how i r8

1- crpy animee no gud
10- gud aniem, dep plot, lots of cute grls
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How far are you willing to forgive anime for its obvious (to you) disadvantages?

RobertBobert - 29 minutes ago

7 by Eleben »»
1 minute ago

» What is the most memorable first episode of an anime you've watched?

mahrjose - 20 minutes ago

2 by anooettoo »»
2 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 3 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Apr 29

116 by Blueberry173 »»
3 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7169 by PUHPUHPUHPOWER »»
4 minutes ago

» Would you support AI generated Anime?

Dragevard - 8 hours ago

29 by Ratris_Decision »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.