Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 21, 2008 9:47 PM

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Fantastic episode. It ended the series very nicely. Good dose of humor, a Shinozaki confession, and a glimpse of the team at the Tour with Shinozaki wearing the yellow jacket. There has to be a season tour with that race.

Overall: 8/10
Jan 21, 2008 10:42 PM
Jan 2008
Fulfilling ending to a good series. Anyone know how much farther the manga goes?
Jan 21, 2008 11:11 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Definitely the best freakin' episode out of all of 'em. Loved it. Shinozaki actually grew some balls. THANK YOU.

I'm gonna pick up the manga if it goes past the anime.
Jan 21, 2008 11:15 PM

Jul 2007
<3ed this final episode, it reminded me of why I loved the pre-race episodes so much, I really want there to be a second season so badly, it just can't end here.
Jan 22, 2008 12:38 AM
Oct 2007
Aoki2 said:
Fulfilling ending to a good series. Anyone know how much farther the manga goes?

ahhh remember the rules.... hehe j.k

Great end to the series. As a road racer myself, and as a fan of anime I Personally like the series from start to finish... Love it... But i wish that the second season would add more of an Initial D feel with technical specs and how riders operate... they where not as obvious in this series, but they were there.

If you look at the amount of time spend on the race eps 12-24 this race was done in REAL TIME so nothing was left out. You-chans time was just under 6 hrs.

I too agree for a second season. " Overdrive: Second Run" LOL!!!

" Anyone can ride a mile... Its that last 129 that count!"

As for sponsoring.... Did anyone watch the ending credits... Pearl Izumi, Trek, Shimano, all major sponsors... no wonder every main guy had a trek or a Shimano bike.

For those of you who are going to cosplay... a little present

Shinozaki - Trek 1200
http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2004/road/medium/1200.jpg
Yamato - Custom Trek 1600 (yellow seat and tape)
http://handlebarscc.com/oscommerce/catalog/images/1600_white%5B1%5D.jpg
Terao - Custom Trek 1600 - Discovery scheme
http://albbicyclecenter.com/images/library/site/trek_madone59_07_p.jpg
Yousuke - Custom Orange w/full Ultegra
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/images/sprint07900.jpg
Nauto - Bianchi 2006 Virata
http://www.bikely.com/i/B/Bianchi-2006-Virata-.1F.jpg

Well I hope to see the cosplayer's at cons soon

Jan 22, 2008 12:47 AM

Nov 2007
whoa i love the ending! i think imma get me shinozaki's bike! haha
Jan 22, 2008 12:54 AM
Oct 2007
lunarcrusader said:
whoa i love the ending! i think imma get me shinozaki's bike! haha

Actually.... Do you want his bike for thsi race or is tour bike?

"Shinozaki Red"!!!
http://www.theped.com/bikes/madone55_chired.jpg

This is what I think he gets... frame was wider and since its full carbon fiber!!!!!
oh i just love that word..... Carbon fiber....hmmmm (Drule!)
Jan 22, 2008 12:55 AM

Jul 2007
You know how long I've wanted to talk about the ending? Too long. and now I have nothing to say. Shinozaki annouces his love in typical Shinozaki fashion and I'm kinda disapointed that we don't get to see more of an aftermath with it, but other than that it wasa great end. The series had it's ups and downs, but it's still a solid 7 or 8.

Sam is my sweet peach
Jan 22, 2008 3:35 AM

Nov 2007
I guess Yamato has this moe for 'Glasses girl' ahahaha. Priceless face expression of his.

Why did the last episode ended as if there will be no season 2 (ended with Tour De France scene with their group leading)? It was a great anime >< .
Dj_FrogJan 22, 2008 5:04 AM
Jan 22, 2008 11:25 AM

Jan 2007
AniMeFreaK said:
shinozaki isn't wearing the same clothes then teammates lol

if you are refering to the very last part with the Tour, he is wearing yellow cause he is the current leader in the race.
Jan 22, 2008 1:25 PM

Oct 2007
Just finished watching the last episode and it's a rather good ending! I'm glad that they continued with the comedic moments, because it brought us full circle back to the beginning, before the race started. I found the bowling and beach scenes totally hilarious! Speaking of full circle, I'm glad that they provided a flash forward in the epilogue to bring us back to the prologue of the series – it was reminiscent and it was good to see the quartet still together racing in France.

I'm glad that Shinozaki could finally tell Yuki, his infatuation, his feelings about her – too bad her older brother interrupted them, but on second thought, I was hoping that he would. It was an enjoyable journey, watching Shinozaki grow and change, not only himself, but those around him. While, the possibility may be remote, I too am hoping that there's a second season.
Jan 22, 2008 2:33 PM

Dec 2007
GREAT episode!! totally totally loved it...
just think. comedy + romance + action = amazing things :D

did anyone read the manga? or knows about season 2? because i really really would like to watch the 2 season. i want to know how the relationship of Shinozaki and Yuki will turn out, because if that Yousuke dindnt get in at that moment, she would say the same thing to Shinozaki :D

Also the Tour de France thing. Leader shinozaki.. ohh my gosh.. he could just be in his own way, the weakest one, but when the final day comes, he would show his power and everyone would scream "GO SHINOZAKI!!!!" . thats what i think

im glad that they kept those funny moments till the end of the series. for me, this series were funny, intensive, heart touching and exiting. i definently want to watch the second season!!!

i would give 8/10 for this series, because it had some very boring episodes which you could just skip. i think it was in the race saga, where sometimes nothing happend, they just rode the bicycle the whole ep. it had very much up and downs for me, like for example. when i saw the last episode, it went straight to 10/10, because i just felt soo good about the ending, but when i remembered the whole series once more, it became 8/10 as it is now.

at the start i thought that there wll be lots of races and in the end he would win( i mean only the last race), but i totally appreciate the idea of having first 10-12 episodes as a training sesion and other stuff, and 10-12 for race. because in those 10-12 episodes of race, you can feel the exitment of the race and also how hard it is to reach the goal. so i totally agree with it.

basically thats it :D GO SHINOZAKI!!!! LOVE-LOVE YUKI!!!!
Jan 22, 2008 3:50 PM
Sep 2007
I really liked Over drive, I hope for a second season.
Hi
Jan 22, 2008 7:59 PM
Dec 2007
Are they going to continue this anime? They seriously need to get a new season going.
Jan 23, 2008 8:37 AM

Oct 2007
Loved this episode and loved the show. This episode made me laugh quite a bit. Great!

Too bad they were at the Tour de France already, so it seems there will not have a second season.

I also liked Shinozaki with the yellow shirt, it means he turned in to some kind of leader. Very nice~

8/10!

Jan 23, 2008 8:44 AM

Jul 2007
Am I the only one that thought the little epilogue at the end was another dream by Shinozaki just like at the beginning?

Sam is my sweet peach
Jan 23, 2008 9:28 AM

Oct 2007
TheWestExit said:
Am I the only one that thought the little epilogue at the end was another dream by Shinozaki just like at the beginning?
Hmm... I never thought of it as a dream, but as a flash-forward. Although, I could see why you thought it might be Shinozaki's dream.
Feb 18, 2008 4:01 AM

Jan 2008
Loved it. I don't like Shinozaki much, but I suppose he grows on you. It's good he was able to undergo some character growth nearing and at the end. Good series. Hope more comes out. =O

And for some reason scanlations haven't gone passed vol2. Or they didn't last time I checked. I believe the anime ends at around vol5, so I'll probably start up on the manga when scanlations get that far along. =)
Apr 2, 2008 3:56 PM
Nov 2007
I thought the ending episode was excellent. But I felt that the story proceeded kinda slow. It took 2 episodes for him to actually start riding a bicycle. There were too many flashbacks and recaps. One of the episode actually spent half of the time talking about love's ABC. I really want to see watch what happen at the tour de france.
Apr 3, 2008 9:59 PM

Aug 2007
Amazing ending to a Amazing series! What more could ya ask for?!!

May 15, 2008 7:11 AM

Oct 2007
cool episode liked how it finished with yuki. and from the scene from the first episode we can see he won so im pretty happy.^-^
Jun 4, 2008 8:52 AM

Jun 2008
The ending was satifactory as in it didn't leave you guessing what would happen next.The confession was funny anf light hearted. However, the way it ends is as if there is no second season whihc is quite sad. They should make a second season with another race, Tour de France would be good.
Sep 24, 2008 11:07 PM
Sep 2008
loved overdrive, they should really make a second season, i dont understand why viewers in japan didnt like this series.
Oct 31, 2008 5:04 PM

Sep 2008
this anime is great 9/10
i would love to see a 2nd series but i dont it will happen since they spoiled it already that mikoto won the tour
Feb 13, 2009 8:00 PM

Aug 2008
This is very good, I'm in mean it's not North americain's culture, bicycle and it really well explained what it was about... Learning from anime WOW...

This is one of the series with the best ending... well done well done GJ really

Apr 15, 2009 7:47 PM

Jan 2009
This was such an awesome series, I'm so glad I got to marathon it though, I couldn't imagine waiting a week each time during the race. This anime had me laughing so many times too, and I never acutally laugh out loud for an anime.

And I totally agree with everyone here, the ending was really good. I think 26 was the perfect amount of episodes though, another season would just drag on I think. At the same time I wouldn't mind watching more though. lol.

Ukato said:
This is very good, I'm in mean it's not North americain's culture, bicycle and it really well explained what it was about... Learning from anime WOW...

This is one of the series with the best ending... well done well done GJ really

I don't really get what you mean here.. are you saying there's no road bike racing in North America, because I know quite a few people who are really into it and even someone who has been in the Tour de France. I do agree though that there's a lot about it that I learned from this anime that I didn't know before.
mangosApr 15, 2009 8:07 PM
May 12, 2009 8:14 AM
Feb 2009
WOW BEST ENDING THAT I HAVE SEEN IN ANY SPORT SERIES, I WISH THAT THEY COULD MAKE LIKE A SECOND SEASON OR A REALLY LONG OVA LOL

i hoped more on the whole SHINOZAKI loves fukazawa YUKI like a kiss or something, but i love the serie it was awesome, PLEASE THINK ABOUT DOING A MOVIE OR SOMETHING !!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 9, 2009 12:54 PM

Jul 2009
well until now there is no newest scanlation..it's still stagnant in vol 2..hiks..

i read the vol 6 RAW though..but i'm sucks at japanase..it's not my native language english too..but in vol after the anime ends..it's explain about Yuki's love for Shinozaki even though she is still act cold to him..
Sep 29, 2009 11:05 PM

Nov 2007
I randomly started watching the first ep the other day and ended up marathoning the series. So happy I did, it was really great, really worth it. I liked how developed all the characters were, and it wasn't cheesey in some parts I thought it would be (i.e. Yamato would join the club straight away, or Yuki would immediately fall for Shinozaki, etc.). I'm rarely surprised with anime so that bumped up my score for this series~

+Thanks for explaining what the yellow jersey at the end meant, to those that mentioned it! Cleared up my confusion.
Dec 19, 2009 2:29 PM

Jun 2008
awesome anime with awesome humor, I'm really glad i decided to give this anime a shot.
Dec 23, 2009 2:55 PM

Mar 2009
Awesome series. I loved it.

Sports anime is definitely one of the most awesome and exciting genre's ever.
Feb 13, 2010 7:39 AM

May 2009
Thanks for the ride! Great way to close a series that was incredibly entertaining, emotional (in a manly way) and even somewhat inspirational. Watching the show, particularly the race portions, I found myself being swept up by all of it, much like how the other riders got sucked into Shinozaki's (and often times Yamato's) illogical, constantly all-out, style of riding.

Shinozaki is definitely not the most appealing lead character. Beyond the usual loser type, he was often creepy and kinda gross to the point where I felt sorry for Yuki as the designated love interest. But he did grow on me over the course of the series and when put into proper perspective (the story basically covered 1 month in his life), his development was nothing short of amazing. As an aside, I also thought the confession was done nicely.

So glad I stumbled upon the manga which led me to stumble upon the anime adaptation. Though I'd love to see more, it would be fine if this is all given how well they ended the season. I do love the fact that we've still got the manga and I'll definitely follow the scans as they come out.
Jun 11, 2010 7:59 AM

May 2010
It's a real shame they never released a second season, this one was/is really good. Although they nailed it up quite well, I still would love to see a second season. At least there's still the manga to follow, but damn, how I miss an anime like this. It has been quite awhile since the last time I saw it, I miss the craziness of Shinozaki, such a weird guy. One could hope that they decide to pick it up one day.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2010 8:53 AM

Jul 2010
to me this anime is the first sports anime iv seen and i have to say it was pretty boring at the start but through the middle it got awsome

but just by this episode it was by far the greatest of all 26...and i love how he was wearing the yellow jacket at the end!!!

lol
Nov 11, 2010 2:20 AM

Mar 2009
Brilliant!! Loved the characters in this and even though I have no interest in cycling I was completely engrossed by the storyline.

I have a favour, can people give this anime a 10/10 so the writers and producers will make more. MAL POWER!!! =DD
Feb 13, 2011 4:27 AM

Jul 2010
Shinozaki really is my hero ^^ I'm so glad he finished the road even though it was invalid... -so sad- but well, he helped Yousuke to become number 1 and he got the Moutain King title :) And that for a boy who just learned to ride, he's far beyond a natural o.o"

I loved the preview/flash forward for the Tour the France, Shinozaki looked so cool :) I'm sure he'll be able to become number 1 even though they didn't showed it. I really hope I can find the manga somehwere caus I totally loved the anime but somewhere in my heart I hope for a new season... :3

10/10, I just love this anime
Animefanx3Jan 15, 2012 2:37 AM
Mar 27, 2011 9:28 PM

Jun 2009
W0W! Shinozaki is wearing the yellow jersey at the tour Thats pretty Impressive for for a guy that young, I thought he is going to wear the white jersey or the green jersey....anyways great ending!
Mar 27, 2011 9:36 PM

Mar 2011
26 ep ended in my opinion one of the finest animes out there, so i hate that episode :p . Well it was great, we get to see his iron will, his semi confession, it had a lot more humor then the previous episodes so i think it deserves 8.5/10 at least.
Oct 30, 2011 5:15 PM

May 2008
Mikoto is one of the most annoying characters that I've watch and at the same time he pedals a bike a monster. Too bad the manga is not currently being translated.
Feb 20, 2012 12:32 PM
Jul 2010
The show is great, though It's disappointing there is no sequel...Show ended at the worst time...
Mar 26, 2012 7:23 PM

Jan 2012
The show's humor is above average in my opinion. A little too much flashbacks here and there, but great show overall.
Jun 19, 2012 6:45 PM

Nov 2011
Lol'd @ that confession and the bowling game.

Anyways, great series although the focus on the riding race was a bit too much. They should of focused a bit more on relationship/romance similar to Suzuka but nonetheless, not a bad series.
Jul 3, 2013 1:53 PM

May 2011
This was the first time I got annoyed by flashbacks in my Anime history. There were unnecessary and repetitive, not to say they covered like a half the series. Other than that the Anime was okay. Would've like to see more than one race though.
Jul 28, 2013 1:54 PM

Apr 2013
Loved the final scene with Shinozaki wearing the yellow jacket x) They must do a 2nd season !
Sep 15, 2013 4:12 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
ArcticMech said:
Thanks for the ride! Great way to close a series that was incredibly entertaining, emotional (in a manly way) and even somewhat inspirational. Watching the show, particularly the race portions, I found myself being swept up by all of it, much like how the other riders got sucked into Shinozaki's (and often times Yamato's) illogical, constantly all-out, style of riding.

Pretty much this, it definitely inspirational because of Shinozaki and emotional towards the end of the race. I liked the execution, I didn't think that the whole race would be most of the episodes, and I thought it was creative how they placed the flashbacks in the middle of the race. I also really liked how much the main cast grew mostly because of one experience, the race. I learned a lot about road racing too from this, I didn't think I would enjoy this as much as I did, which is a pleasant surprise. This last episode was really fun, reminiscent of the silliness in the beginning episodes. Looks like Asahi (I think that's her name) is joining the club, but at the end of the anime. I always thought we would see her since she was wearing that bicycle outfit in the intro. Hopefully the manga is mostly scanlated by now so I can read it. Anyways, this was a highly entertaining anime, it also never crossed my mind when I began this that I would cry ^^ lastly, I'm going to miss the bicycle club's antics, as well as the characters Shinozaki, Yousuke, Yamato, and most of all, Terao since he's such a nice guy :D
Jul 6, 2014 7:32 PM

Jan 2014
Repetitive flashbacks are kinda annoying, they remind me of Naruto Shippuden lmao. But it was a very entertaining show to watch.

8/10
Recommend me an anime
Jul 15, 2014 8:17 AM

Dec 2012
This episode had me laughing plenty, hilarious way to wrap things up. LOL @ Yamato's pose when he threw that gutter ball. I'm glad they went back to that scene at the start of the series and gave a glimpse of the Sakura High's success at the Tour with Shinozaki wearing the yellow jersey. It's a subtle yet profound way to show how Mikoto reached the top without saying a word and I'm satisfied with that conclusion.

Overall this series was filled to the brim with hilarity and intense cycling. Initially I was bummed out that it wasn't about the Tour itself, but the citizen race captured the spirit of the sport just as well and did a great job at showing Mikoto's first major leap towards that stage. Although the race did get dragged out sometimes ("What is a bicycle?"), I actually like how it took up a considerable portion of the episodes. That sense of a long journey goes hand in hand with how brutal these races are and how much endurance they require. Imagine doing that citizen race and more for 3 straight weeks. That's the Tour.

Over Drive had a compelling story to tell and I enjoyed seeing Mikoto's journey from barely sitting up straight on a bicycle to barely scraping through the finish line all the way to taking on the Tour. This series definitely made me see the Tour in a better light and I can appreciate aspects of it that I had taken for granted before.

Solid 8/10
Aug 12, 2014 8:43 PM

Jul 2012
Goddammit, I have no idea how to rate this. Either a 7 or 8. I cried multiple times, including the end. It's just as intense as Yowamushi Pedal and maybe even more because the characters were more complex compared to YP.

The characters are really inspiring, although I wish they were fleshed out more rather than focusing on Shinozaki and his pervy antics half of the time. The show had a lot of potential to become like a Chihayafuru but didn't quite get there.

I really liked Yamoto and Terao who had like an underdog type of character (as in people overlook them) and Yamoto was so badass at climbing.

The music is really good and I liked that it was kind of dark, for a shounen sports anime.

Will check out the entire manga.
Feb 12, 2016 10:04 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
I really, really wanted to give this series a 7, because I really liked some parts, but in the end I gave it a 6, because it was lacking in several places.

The main problem was Mikoto who kept on saying how he didn't know how to ride a bike, but his mom had a flashback of when he was a kid and had an accident. I assumed that because of the trauma he forgot all about his bike days, but in the end of the race he remembered himself his childhood days riding his bike, so...? But other than that, with that tiny flashback from his mom, we are supposed to assume that he's a genius, which is silly and it's not expanded upon at all. He ONLY had a month of training, in which month he didn't have any serious progress (by serious, I mean to compete in the race with real athletes), as the show kept showing him doing stupid stuff or just him being tenacious, although he was exhausted. That is all we saw. Him being exhausted all the time, but never achieving anything. And where does that leave us? Him beating a world-class athlete in a checkpoint and, mind you, after he was supposedly exhausted by then already since he went against Hyoudou before and lost by an inch, but somehow he found some hidden powers that made him overcome every other athlete. I mean, ok, I didn't expect 100% realism, but considering how little we saw of his training and the results of that training, it seems too random to have him win something.

The worst thing about it, though, was that somehow we see him so focused in biking with basically no reason. Throughout the series and especially near the end when Fukuzawa's pretentious scene came and asked each player what the bicycle means to them, he only said "Well, I was all alone and I was so ordinary and then one day, the girl I liked told me to join the bicycle club and the guys there accepted me, so I tried my hardest!", so basically it could have literally been any other club, as long as people didn't tell him to get out of there. Again, I don't expect this profound story, but his focus was so unreal for such a flimsy reason and his background as a genius kid biker is just too forced to make us feel like this was his calling. He never even said that he realised THIS was for him, it was only because he had people next to him that he sat through. It's like the creator forgot that there should be an inbetween stage where he realises this is truly for him and just jumped from "I'm a wimp" to "I'LL GIVE MY LIFE FOR THIS" with no actual reason.

The second problem is Fukuzawa herself. She hovers around the whole story being all sad and pensive, thinking about her future and it always seems like her turn will come around and she will DO something, but that literally NEVER happens. She always has these thoughts, but she always remains a bystander. I actually really liked her at first, cause she didn't seem that pure, white flower that is so kind and all, you know, the cliche girl the main usually likes. She was a normal girl, who played around a bit too and had a hearty personality, but they made her broody so fast and for no purpose in the end. For almost the whole series she's just brooding and brooding...

The third problem would be the pacing. As mentioned in Mikoto's part, we saw most of the time his silliness and not real training. I even think we saw more of his secret night biking than his real training. This goes on for almost half of the series and although Yamato appeared around then, it also seemed forced. "Suddenly, a black biker appeared and suddenly, I started talking with my classmate, who just happened to be him, but I hadn't realised it then, but deep down I knew" :v But ok, that's one of the most usual cliche, it's just when you add up everything, even this is annoying.

By far, the most interesting part was the race and only for that I'd like to give a high score, but I can't ignore the work as a whole. The characters had their own moment each time and it was really nice to actually get to know them through the race and made you want to support all of them. Each of them had their own problems and they all renewed their passion through this race and it felt gratifying! The race managed to showcase each character well with its well times flashbacks, as a whole.

Last but not least, the story tried to include that other girl, who I doubt anyone cares about her at all. She almost got her own entire episode when we BARELY saw her. Though, I admit I did like we saw her a bit at the start and then much later, but she didn't have any part. She just suddenly barged in with her own backstory, while she had no relation to them other than being classmates from afar. It was basically a stranger barging into the story to just say their own piece... How random is that?

Generally, if it tried to connect everything better and explain things better, it'd make much more impact than this. It's a shame really and it makes me wonder if I should really check out the manga, since it could have 353453452 pages of Mikoto being silly and then bam, he's a winner again :v
MaffyFeb 12, 2016 10:07 AM
Apr 27, 2019 3:57 PM

Nov 2016
Good series, okayish ending. Definitely will check out the manga.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Over Drive Episode 18 Discussion

Trie - Oct 20, 2007

17 by EsieEyen »»
Feb 16, 2:08 AM

Poll: » Over Drive Episode 17 Discussion

Faust721 - Oct 12, 2007

13 by EsieEyen »»
Feb 16, 1:56 AM

Poll: » Over Drive Episode 24 Discussion

lowell - Jan 9, 2008

15 by supermario4ever »»
Oct 17, 2023 12:25 PM

Poll: » Over Drive Episode 23 Discussion

lowell - Dec 16, 2007

20 by supermario4ever »»
Oct 16, 2023 1:52 PM

Poll: » Over Drive Episode 25 Discussion

lowell - Jan 20, 2008

12 by Ashhk »»
Oct 4, 2023 4:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.