Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 18, 2014 5:33 PM

Dec 2013
I'm a fan of the mysterious vibe that they're trying to build but I just can't get into any of the characters. There hasn't been much differential between them yet. I feels underwhelming so far.
Apr 18, 2014 6:18 PM

Feb 2012
I have a feeling Yamano isn't exactly dead yet.

The Gauna taking her form seemed ominous, adding on to the fact that the identity of the gauna largely remains a mystery to most of Sidonia. Those talking "corpses" likely know the answer.

Not a huge fan of the CGI, Maybe if the characters looked a little bit more normal (it's hard for me to gauge emotions in CGI) I'd like it way more. The action scenes look fine in CGI. I may just end up picking up the manga.
Apr 18, 2014 7:22 PM

Jan 2014
wow that dream was interesting....

was not expecting that

nice episode good pacing
Wanna listen to some good OP/ED songs? Head over to my profile!
Apr 18, 2014 7:37 PM

Aug 2013
This show is so cool! It was funny to see the classic 'guy accidentally sees girls changing' thing in a more mature anime. I can't wait to see the rest!
Apr 18, 2014 7:40 PM
Oct 2012
4 minutes into the second episode, best SF animation since Planetes. Hope it continues this strong pace.

And people complaining about the art? Seriously, its awesome.

Hibbington As for the characterizations, that is deliberate. Most of the characters are supposed to feel the same. The great thing about good Japanese animation is how deliberate everything: art, characters, music, are.

At 12 minutes, absolutely GREAT scene. Using the MC's need to eat as a metaphor for his isolation and the bias of his fellow students. Very well done.

At 15 minutes, Nagate's dream. Wonderful, suggests so much about the enemy and Nagate's past. Also liked the one other "human" who decided to find out what this "newbie" actually did. Looking forward to seeing her more in the near future.

At 18 minutes :
And the pilots names have: red, green, blue and pink, interesting

At 20 minutes: record his medical data? So there is something unique about Nagate's DNA. Nice little subtle touch there.

At 21: the first character with any color (hair) is the one "human" interested in what the Newbie actually did. Very nice touch, suggests a lot of things.

At 22: the Akai group walking past the "trainee elite group" to talk to Nagate, nice touch.
Takuan_SohoApr 18, 2014 8:05 PM
Apr 18, 2014 7:52 PM

Jul 2010
I'm seriously loving this. That dream-part of Nagate was so disturbing and that's what I liked about it. Oh btw, I had SnK vibes here and there, since Gauna are pretty much like Giants. I hope it gets more and more violent and crude, just like SnK.

Midorikawa = Midori (green) = Green hair, that was pretty legit I'd say.
Apr 18, 2014 7:56 PM
Oct 2012
Akanezora said:
I'm seriously loving this. That dream-part of Nagate was so disturbing and that's what I liked about it. Oh btw, I had SnK vibes here and there, since Gauna are pretty much like Giants. I hope it gets more and more violent and crude, just like SnK.

Agree on the dream, disagree on the SnK vibe. I don't think the Gauna are a bit like the Titans, and from watching this as an animation and not as a manga/novel (or whatever the source is), this show is far more intriguing.
Apr 18, 2014 8:03 PM

Jul 2010
Takuan_Soho said:
Akanezora said:

Agree on the dream, disagree on the SnK vibe. I don't think the Gauna are a bit like the Titans, and from watching this as an animation and not as a manga/novel (or whatever the source is), this show is far more intriguing.

What makes you think they are different? Just asking out of curiosity.
Apr 18, 2014 8:14 PM
Oct 2012
Akanezora said:
What makes you think they are different? Just asking out of curiosity.

Humm, that is a bit difficult to answer because it is more a vibe than a fact. This is only the second episode so this show could tank and SnK could prove to be far better.

But I get the feeling that the Gauna are humans in some capacity, which is why their goal was to merge into a human, and why we have that "pacifist" preaching against war. I also think that Midorigawa is going to prove to be something special.

I have to be honest, I really disliked the SnK animation and wasn't particularly impressed by the two manga I did read. I will confess that this is my personal bias working (I hate Zombies) as well as feeling I got that SnK was too much of an Author driven plot than a story driven plot (an interpretation theory I won't bore you with).

This show in contrast seems to have far more potential than SnK did, I have no idea where it is going to go, but these two episodes have sparked so many thoughts that I am excited to see what happens next. Again, I know this is personal preference, but that is the way I feel.

I want to know the secret of Nagate, I want to see how he develops, I want to know if there is more to Midorikawa (and why her name and the four "elites" are based on colors). I could spend hours theorizing on potential plots that this show excites me in a way that SnK didn't.
Apr 18, 2014 9:00 PM

Jul 2010
I understand.

You certainly have a point with that pacifist against war, it might be a interesting foreshadowing.

I'll agree on the potential, this setting can draw much more potential from this kind of story, that's why I want to have good expectations from this, even though it's not always recommended (having too high expectations I mean). But I will surely enjoy its developing.
Apr 18, 2014 9:53 PM
Oct 2012
Akanezora said:
I'll agree on the potential, this setting can draw much more potential from this kind of story, that's why I want to have good expectations from this, even though it's not always recommended (having too high expectations I mean). But I will surely enjoy its developing.

Ah, expectations. Tonight I was reviewing some of the posts I made about Suisei no Gargantia nearly a year ago: that was a show that set great expectations that were ultimately dashed. I don't see this show quite doing that, it may end up as a failure, but I don't expect it to be so disappointing if it does fail (Galieli no Donna was another really disappointing show). For me it would be more like Red Data Girl, then those two shows, disappointing, but at least decent enough that I wasn't bitter about wasting my time.

The only thing about this show I don't like is that the human leader has that stupid mask. I have seen that trope in several anime's before, and none of them ultimately proved exciting. Though this series has, to date, really done a great job in building a credible world view. I loved the scene I mentioned above where they made the point that most "elite" humans use photosynthesis, and then showed the MC eating an onigiri to symbolize how they saw him as an outsider. That gives me hope, but though I loved that scene it didn't create undue expectation, because even if this show ultimately fails, at least I have that scene to remember.
Apr 18, 2014 9:57 PM

Mar 2014
Starting to get real interesting. I hope we see more bad-ass fight scenes. Yamano kind of deserved it but we'll see the bigger role she plays in the future on Nagate.
I like anime and you like anime. We have more in common than you think.....
Apr 18, 2014 11:27 PM

Apr 2013
Man, Izana did an instant 180 when she Tanikaze with that girl. Dat bitch be jealous. I mean, dat dude be . . . Uh. I'm not sure how to phrase it. Y'know. Aki Toyosaki n' shit.
Apr 19, 2014 1:54 AM
Jan 2013
Looks like the Hermaphrodite is getting jealous.
Apr 19, 2014 4:26 AM

Jan 2011
Only 12 episodes?

So we didn't get a cliche rescue and Yamano promptly bit the dust, the Guana looks fucking terrifying.
Apr 19, 2014 6:57 AM

May 2011
it's a shame this anime didn't get the response it should get.
it almost got everything that i like from anime. For the CG, yeah some people may find it uncomfortable, and some scenes feels like come from a wii game. but other aspect easily overwhelmed it, especially the mecha fight scene.
even though the bit rate could be higher (but, it's a TV shows), and the sound effect simply amazing, especially combined with those CG.

another thing about the CG, i thinks it's better like this rather than some lazy "still scene".

9/10 for me, but since it got only 7 ish on MAL, i should give it 10/10
Apr 19, 2014 7:25 AM

May 2008
Takuan_Soho said:
Ah, expectations. Tonight I was reviewing some of the posts I made about Suisei no Gargantia nearly a year ago: that was a show that set great expectations that were ultimately dashed. I don't see this show quite doing that, it may end up as a failure, but I don't expect it to be so disappointing if it does fail (Galieli no Donna was another really disappointing show). For me it would be more like Red Data Girl, then those two shows, disappointing, but at least decent enough that I wasn't bitter about wasting my time.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that with Sidonia no Kishi. It's got a solid manga that it's following, unlike the original script shows you've mentioned.
Apr 19, 2014 8:26 AM
Oct 2013
Fai said:
Pallax said:

I agree with almost everything you said, except that Sidonia no Kishi does have lolis (if you consider the actual age of the Honoka sisters) and it is also a harem.

Loli term is defined by character design, not age.
As for harem part...welll

And saddly , that "things" not gonna show up in the anime ( 1 cour show right ? )
Apr 19, 2014 9:03 AM

Jan 2013
Good second episode. I like the mythology.
The fighting scene was well done.
Nice atmosphere.
Apr 19, 2014 1:44 PM

Feb 2011
All the lines in this anime are so SnK-ish.
Apr 19, 2014 2:00 PM

Apr 2014
UnbornMVs said:

UnoPuntoCinco said:
I'll tell you all a secret, mah niggas.

Hajime Isayama is a Tsutomu Nihei's admirer.

Mind = Blown

I hope this quote helps
Apr 19, 2014 2:05 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
keboduduk said:
Fai said:
Pallax said:

I agree with almost everything you said, except that Sidonia no Kishi does have lolis (if you consider the actual age of the Honoka sisters) and it is also a harem.

Loli term is defined by character design, not age.
As for harem part...welll

And saddly , that "things" not gonna show up in the anime ( 1 cour show right ? )

Probably not :( I just caught up to the manga, and I think the thing you're referring to (or the thing that I want to show up) shows up around chapter 30. Or maybe it's possible depending where they decide to end the anime.
Apr 19, 2014 2:22 PM

Jan 2013
Wow, that episode went by so quickly, I was really disappointed it ended.

That OP is impossible to skip, but I do think 'angela' make great music, plus the visual aspect of the OP is great too.

As for the CGI, I think it really suits this series. I can't really explain it, but this series gives me quite a different feel to any other anime I've watched, which the CGI also backs up and fits well for me.

Also, it's nice to see that this series isn't scared of killing characters. I really like the darkness in this episode, when the girl was screaming, being pulled into the Gauna's mouth, and then the Gauna later took her form. It's been a while since I've seen something as dark as that in anime. Oh, and the MC's dream was quite dark and creepy...a little bit sickening.
Apr 19, 2014 5:09 PM

Sep 2012
woah look who suddenly got popular in the end there.

pretty good episode, this series really draws you in
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2014 6:14 PM

Apr 2014
Loving it already! Pacing is just perfect. the animation really captures the facial expressions too. Can't wait for Episode three.
Apr 19, 2014 7:05 PM

Sep 2013
I really like the atmosphere of this show!
Apr 19, 2014 7:14 PM

Jul 2012
Last episode I got Shinsekai Yori vibes, and now it's Evangelion vibes. This is quite interesting! Also, I'm used to the CGI now. Really enjoying the realistic designs and their futuristic world.

BTW, loving the ED.

Fai said:
Uncanny said:
I have a feeling this will become just as underrated as Kingdom was/is because of the animation, looks like it's the same group behind it. Though, I do think that this is likely the best anime of this season and I am looking forward to more episodes. And I absolutely LOVE to OP music.

It does not have lolis, harems, incests or gary stus. AND it has an actual plot. Of course it is going to fly under radar. MAL only eats generic bullshit like this. Why would otherwise brillaint and inventive stuff like this or Casshern Sins sit below 8/10, while, most generic bullshit gets hyped?

Oh and yes, this is not 2d, so generic otaku weebos would insta-hate it

^
Apr 19, 2014 11:23 PM

Jan 2011
last week was "third gender", this week we got "human photosynthesis"... looking forward to the next episode :)

also predict more human-eating mangas to be green lit for anime
Apr 20, 2014 1:35 AM

May 2013
Woaaah, did not saw that one coming. I was laughing when Nagate got punched tho.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Apr 20, 2014 7:09 AM

Jun 2013
I will never not be amused that "mecha" is not a genre for this anime on mal.
Apr 20, 2014 9:38 AM

Mar 2012
That catheter scene was pretty funny. Are we about to get a love square going on here?
Apr 20, 2014 12:29 PM

Jul 2010
Fai said:

It does not have lolis, harems, incests or gary stus. AND it has an actual plot. Of course it is going to fly under radar. MAL only eats generic bullshit like this. Why would otherwise brillaint and inventive stuff like this or Casshern Sins sit below 8/10, while, most generic bullshit gets hyped?

I don't disagree with you by any means, and I do realize that that is part of the reason why it may not be wholly popular on MAL. And, I wasn't just referring to MAL. Nor do I think that that is a problem that MAL solely deals with.

That said, a lot of people will drop it because it is not generic 2d, regardless of the 'majority' or not. If something doesn't look appealing to someone usually they are less likely to continue watching it.

Furthermore, it was merely a comment based on the concern about the animation and not the depth of the plot since I assume everyone that is now posting on this thread actually enjoys real plots.

I've learned to ignore a lot of the morons on this site. Instead of getting irritated by it as you seem to be, it might be best just to let things be.
Apr 20, 2014 3:47 PM
Apr 2014
Dat posthumous characterisation -_- I only read some fifteen chapters of the manga, but if I remember correctly,
In Blame! the survivng characters could be counted on the fingers of one hand... that just went through a leaf shredder. Biomega had a (more or less) happy, if confusing ending though. I wonder how many are going to survive here; deaths hit a lot harder in anime than in manga, and it hit hard in the manga already. Anyway, a whole lot of people are gonna die. Like, a whoooole lot.

On the episode, the non-battle highlight was the catheder scene. That looks really fucking painful, to be honest :< The CGI bothered me this episode (especially the mouths being the only thing moving when they speak), while it didn't last episode. A bit odd, but yeah. Hope I get over it.
UnleashTheGoatApr 20, 2014 3:51 PM
"Though mountains crack, and ice will thaw

Though walls will fall, to tooth and claw

Though stars will fade, and shadow spread

On the heights we stood, with iron red.

And as they died, they killed the dead.
Apr 20, 2014 4:25 PM

Oct 2011
Poor Yamano.

Tanikaze was Badass

Human Photosynthesis. But Tanikaze isn't one : 0.

Dat girls locker scene. Poor Tanikaze.

Disturbing dream. Throwing up his food : 0

Izana is jealous OMG

Kunato got brushed off. Tanikaze poplularity skyrocketed. No more pranks for him.
But will see him get punched etc throughout the series

I wonder if the Guana are human/third Gender gone horribly wrong????
Apr 20, 2014 6:47 PM

Jan 2011
Well, a broken nose ain't that bad for the view he got, just ask Juugo.

Still, he got it hard. Everyone jumping on him there, including a fan girl (?) and the elite four. Give that guy some room, he just got out of hospital!
Apr 20, 2014 7:53 PM

Sep 2011
Im starting to find major issues with this series' directing, its feeling really poorly ordered and alot of information is getting kind of glossed over or rushed, i also really dislike the amount of exposition that keeps happening. That and the transitions between scenes feels really off

That said i really like the premise of the series and its world seems kind of cool(hoping to see some more explanation of that), the characters are kind of meh so far and the plot doesnt seem to be hitting and interesting moments in the coming episodes but hopefully it builds up to something. the episode itself was ok cause i was really bothered by the things mentioned above but its nothing bad, this ep was a 3/5 for me

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 20, 2014 8:09 PM

Feb 2013
Epic battle. This anime is gonna have some great action sequences.
Apr 21, 2014 1:46 AM

May 2009
I know this sounds weird but does anyone else notice like a drop in fps when the anime is not in the fight sequences?
Apr 21, 2014 10:09 AM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
I could be careless about the dead character. How much I would prefer if this anime had better characters, so far it lacks in that department, plus many look similar to each other.
Apr 21, 2014 4:54 PM

Feb 2012
Snow_Queen said:
I could be careless about the dead character. How much I would prefer if this anime had better characters, so far it lacks in that department, plus many look similar to each other.

Okay.

Another awesome episode. Really love the atmosphere this series instills. Its really amusing that people still cant realize that the character look alikes are clones.
IciBurnApr 21, 2014 4:57 PM
Apr 21, 2014 6:13 PM

Apr 2012
This episode was better ^^
Apr 21, 2014 8:34 PM

Oct 2013
This is like, good anime
Apr 22, 2014 3:43 AM

Jul 2011
Definitely one of the best of this season! 5/5
Apr 22, 2014 3:55 AM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
IceBurn said:

Another awesome episode. Really love the atmosphere this series instills. Its really amusing that people still cant realize that the character look alikes are clones.

Doesn't matter if they have no development and they just die. And I didn't mean the clones but generally. Nihei's works have this issue in general.
BronyaSilverwingApr 22, 2014 4:16 AM
Apr 22, 2014 4:25 AM

Apr 2014
I was done with the manga recently and my god does it get interesting later on. Its a shame it'll be 12 episode long.
Apr 22, 2014 10:25 AM
Dec 2011
Z4k said:
UnbornMVs said:

UnoPuntoCinco said:
I'll tell you all a secret, mah niggas.

Hajime Isayama is a Tsutomu Nihei's admirer.

Mind = Blown

I hope this quote helps

To be fair are they even know Sidonia manga started earlier than SnK
Apr 22, 2014 7:25 PM

Feb 2012
Snow_Queen said:
IceBurn said:

Doesn't matter if they have no development and they just die. And I didn't mean the clones but generally. Nihei's works have this issue in general.
Kay. Her death wasnt supposed to be tragic or hearth breaking, she got eaten,she died thats all there is too it. Unless you were wanting some crappy last minute monologue. I can tell the characters apart just fine, not every anime has to have characters hair dyed with every color on the visible spectrum to be distinguishable.
Apr 22, 2014 7:45 PM

Jul 2013
Damn, Yamano got eaten. Harem incoming?
Entravity said:
I'm just waiting for Tanikaze to cut some Gauna tentacles and show us his moves that got him 99999 points in the simulator.
This.
Apr 22, 2014 11:59 PM

May 2012
02:46 she got hit right?

05:17 tentaction!!

16:05 just like the Kyojin

Yuhatan kawaii〜
7.5/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Apr 23, 2014 3:17 PM

Jul 2011
Fai said:

Really dude, as of nowadays standard this CGI feels really uncomfortable.
The framerate is shit, the characters looks like dolls, the movements feel unnatural. If this had CGI like for example: Final Fantasy: Advent Children it would be the best thing ever, and I'll love that, because I can't focus on action properly right now.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2014

228 by OlaEdu »»
Apr 26, 5:14 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

135 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

112 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

117 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:14 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2014

163 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.