Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 16, 2009 2:37 PM

Aug 2009
Boa was fastly convinced by Luffy. And her past doesn't justify her childish whilms. :-P

Anyway, here she was a bit nicer.
Apr 19, 2010 4:33 AM

Oct 2008
Aww, blushing boa is cute.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 19, 2010 5:41 AM

May 2008
sad sad

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 16, 2010 8:59 PM

Feb 2010
Great Episode.
May 25, 2010 10:16 AM

Feb 2009
To be honest I was already predicting this, but it was a superb episode, I'm starting to like Boa.

And zomg! Did the strawhats just gain themselves a Shichibukai ally??
Aug 25, 2010 3:06 PM

Jun 2010
Her sad past felt kinda rushed to me.
Dec 21, 2010 5:15 AM

Oct 2009
I never thought Boa could be this cute! XDD
Great episode!
Apr 16, 2011 5:43 AM

Jul 2007
Wow this episode was brilliant. Definitely my favorite episode in this arc for sure. there is alot of important connections that tie up in this arc. I would of never guessed that those marks on the fishman pirates were actually created from the World nobles. Guess i better go back and look at the arlong arc and look closely to see if i can see them.

Boa hancocks past was just really depressing. I am actually starting to feel for this character now. The old lady knew all along she was putting on an act trying to act superior, but in actuality, she is in real pain because of her past. Being used as a slave as a 12 year old. God it is official, the world government are the most the ruthless tyrants in this entire series. No wonder Hancock probably detests men and doesn't allow them on the island.

Way back in the beginning of the series, i believe it was the arlong arc. Where they talked bout a man that was able to climb up the entire red line and reach the world government but the person that was explaining this story said it might just be a myth and not actually true so it gave you the sense of it just being no more then a fairy tail. That is why i kind of forgotten bout it.

I would of NEVER thought that this was actually something that oda would develop to be a major plot point like hundreds of episodes later. So it turns out that a fishman by the name of "fisher tiger" probably the most important fishman in OP history climbed the red line, infiltrated the government and let all the slaves escape, later created the sunny pirates crew which was later separated into several other crews, one of them being pirate crew at arlong park.

I also specifically remember arlong stating that he used to belong to the sunny pirates. Anyways this episode really shocked me, how they put all the pieces of this mystery together. There i still one thing missing though. Who is the one that saved boa hancock. Guess will have to find out later. But anyways truly genius. Yet another little story development that became something much larger later on. I love how oda connects all these things together. This is why ODA is just a masterful story writer.
ArtimesGamerApr 16, 2011 5:42 PM

Apr 16, 2011 9:09 AM

Apr 2009
^d'oh didn't you hear his name or smth? it was Tiger
Apr 16, 2011 2:45 PM

Jul 2007
smokes said:
^d'oh didn't you hear his name or smth? it was Tiger

Yeah i knew it was tiger, guess i forgot to type it down in my comment. Tiger has long been since dead though, so we probably will never see him. On the other hand, some other fishman saved hancock. That hasn't been explained yet.

May 11, 2011 1:56 PM

Apr 2011
Boa Hancock is moé
May 17, 2011 5:12 PM

Jun 2009
Wow, I actually did not remember in the slightest that this incident with Fisher Tiger was mentioned in the Arlong Arc. But, am I not an excellent judge in character or what? I knew that Hancock had a reason for her actions..Booyah!

The episode did feel slightly rushed though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 17, 2011 7:00 PM

Jul 2007
insan3soldiern said:
Wow, I actually did not remember in the slightest that this incident with Fisher Tiger was mentioned in the Arlong Arc. But, am I not an excellent judge in character or what? I knew that Hancock had a reason for her actions..Booyah!

The episode did feel slightly rushed though.

Yep go back, some one briefly mentioned that there was a member of the fishman pirates that actually climbed over the red line. This guy fisher tiger, is going to be known as a legendary pirate in the future, im sure.

Jun 10, 2011 5:02 PM

Jul 2010
I liked this episode a lot but wow that was such a sad and tragic story :( I feel sorry for het but luckely she has Luffy on her side now, someone who'll never judge a person based on his or her background... :)
Jul 14, 2011 6:15 PM

May 2010
Woah! No one would’ve expected that from a Shichibukai.. Another reason more to hate the Celestial Dragons and even more the World Government.. I think this is the first time a Shichibukai has offered help or became a friend to Luffy hehe.. finally the plot thickens and Luffy can again set sail.. But first things first.. I hope they rescue Ace.. Hopefully, Luffy has won the support of Hancock and even Fisher Tiger :-D
Aug 5, 2011 6:50 AM

Aug 2010
BOA HANDCOCKHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Best wan pissu episode ever
Mar 24, 2012 12:35 AM

Jan 2010
Her backstory was done much more heart-string tugging-ly in the anime, which I approve of!

Even though I feel sorry for Boa Hancock (The trauma... I feel for her :( ) I still can't condone how mean she is XD.
Oct 4, 2012 11:38 AM
May 2012
Luffy has so cool, it's seems like he doesn't care about his enemies. What is that Gorgon?
Nov 18, 2012 2:45 PM

Mar 2010
So thats what was up.. They sure had a mood swing..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 23, 2013 8:32 AM

Jul 2012
This is why OP is my favorite anime! <3 the arc's just keep getting better and better
Feb 15, 2013 7:27 AM

Nov 2012
Yay, we finally see Boa softening up! Also, it was pretty nice of that Tiger guy to give all his crewmates a new mark.
Aug 22, 2013 9:46 AM

Apr 2012
boa hancock's past seemed really cruel especially since she was owned by celestial dragons.
but she's a lot more likable now that she has shown her emotions, makes you see her more than a selfish empress :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2014 8:45 AM

Dec 2012
And I was... 100% wrong XD XD XD She was tortured but not by the W.G., by the Celestial bastards.
The sisters do have a sad past as expected and Boa is more likeable now but still not a very nice person.
ACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! I knew Luffy will go to save him but by himself???? Poor, poor Luffy :( Poor Ace!!!!!!!
May 30, 2014 7:48 AM

Oct 2012
Here it is!!!!
Her Deredere side xD

Luffy must kick those Celestial Dragon
It's doesn't matter if they are descendants from creator
If their behavior like that.. They shouldn't treated as humans too
Arrgh... That's made my blood boil

Next ep, Ace no :(
"Signature removed"
Sep 10, 2014 9:21 PM

Apr 2011
This episode had a lot of emotion. Hebihime naked though o: Luffy shows no reaction at all as usual. Luffyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Sep 27, 2014 11:09 PM

Jan 2014
Hancock backstory, and Fisher Tiger was in it as I remember.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 1, 2014 3:18 PM

Oct 2013
Poor Hancock,she's ben through hell.

Jun 12, 2015 9:54 PM

Jun 2015
She's still cruel and heartless, how can she throw that elder women out of the window, who treated her like her own child.
Nov 28, 2015 8:39 PM

Jun 2013
Hancock was so wet for Luffy right there

Mar 31, 2016 3:20 PM

May 2013
Ohnoesssss D: But Margaret liked Luffy first lol xD tsk tsk. Shame on you, Boa. Not that either of them can woo Luffy hahaha

The Strawhat Crew won't mind if you take that detour Luffy. Go for it! >:D Save Ace!
Jul 2, 2016 3:24 PM

Jun 2015
Now there's love in the air...♥!
Jul 26, 2016 5:50 AM

Mar 2015
Nice to see Boa opening up to Luffy, she's showing a really likeable side behind that pretty face now
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 29, 2016 3:40 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Her is a really impressing background story

Mar 15, 2017 6:04 PM

May 2014
Big revelations this episode!
Was not expecting Boa and her sisters to have been slaves to the Celestial Dragons at all, and that the mark on her back is a brand mark.

The whole thing's quite similar to the Nami/Arlong situation now that I think about it.

But boy, do I love Hancock. She's a great character and her guarded attitude is completely understandable, as is her attitude towards men. The first men she ever saw enslaved and likely tortured her- no wonder she has no qualms turning the opposite sex to stone!

Looks like Luffy's warming her heart though- will this ship sail? :o
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2018 3:15 PM

Jul 2016
Don't judge a book by it's cover...
Feb 12, 2019 9:50 AM

Jun 2016
That was incredible. I am nearly speechless. The way Oda builds his world is like no other, he makes it so interconnected and believable. This was easily my favorite revelation we've gotten yet.

Hundreds of episodes ago we met with Arlong. He, to me, appeared as a despicable, horrible racist who hated humans due to their weakness. At the time I did not pay attention to their markings. However, it was established that fishmen are discriminated against and treated as subhuman. That alone already gave him sympathy to me, he's not the racist, he's the radical fighting against the racists. But, now it deepens even further. Arlong, who hated humans, did so because he and his crew were possible slaves, all branded, and treated as the scum of the earth, and they were saved and brought aboard the crew of Fisher Tiger who fought against this oppression with his all. Once he died they split up into smaller groups and one of which was the Arlong Pirates. Arlong and his men, like Boa, projected their hatred on an entire group. He projected it on humans and he tried to make his way up the system using dirty navy men and taking over human villages. He wanted his species to rule and he wanted, imo, to get revenge on humankind. He even went as far to brand Nami, so to speak, as one of the Arlong pirates, like a claw mark that told her she was his, like the very humans did to him. Boa on the other hand projected her hatred on men because they were the ones who did everything to her and her people. I'll go more into her later. Arlong over the course of 400+ episodes has been contextualized through natural world building and that's crazy. Those branding marks were something I didn't think twice about and they are a huge plot point now. I'm amazed and this natural characterization of Arlong throughout the series is something I've never seen before. It's quite sobering honestly. It's made him probably my favorite One Piece villain and one of my favorite anime villains. His hatred of humans, his "branding" of Nami, and his love for his people all make so much sense now. They all went through this struggle together, if his brethren don't love each other then they have no one. It's quite touching and it's one thing that always stuck out to me about him, that he has a true sense of the word nakama. Knowing Oda, Arlong will come back into play eventually and I'm so excited for it.

Boa on the other hand has some severe PTSD over her trauma. God knows all the horrible stuff that occurred to her and her sisters. She grew to hate men over this experience and it's why she tried to bring out Luffy's true, selfish character, one that prioritized himself over human life, and when he rejected it she was shocked and moved. It showed her in that action among some others that not all men are the way she believes they are and she was able to open up to him. A side effect of this was as touched on above, she was taught that weakness of any kind is bad. That she can never leave herself open to other people, I did notice small moments of duality, where she seemed to appreciate the clay doll of her before putting on her tough character and shattering it. If even the claw on her back was seen no one could be by her side any longer as it would be an act against the Celestial Dragons. Further, it's why she despises the World Government so much. She won't work with them even if it means having her village attacked. I understand why people like Boa now.

Are Arlong or Boa justified in their improper projected cruelty? No, but they were taught to behave that way to protect themselves. They were blinded to the kindness of others when they were treated as "subhuman", as property. It certainly makes these two incredibly sympathizable to me. And like my friend in this thread said:
Unyversu said:
Don't judge a book by it's cover...

Ever since the beginning not judging a book by its cover has been a key theme of One Piece, the first episodes were all about the idea "not all pirates are bad, and not all navy are good". We shouldn't judge people on face value, we should judge them by their actions, but like Luffy could sense in Nami, or Robin's betrayal, or even in Boa here, that sometimes their actions come from a misguided place and if they're good people you should help them past that, not hate them for it. If Luffy did kill the sister it would have only made this cycle worse and made her hatred of men worse. By showing ill-will to these people would simply only make things worse.

And now, Luffy has a personal reason to fight the world government, his friends have been treated horribly by them~! Woo! Awesome. :D And he's made a wonderfully strong friend in Boa.

Oda is a genius.

P.S. there is something beautiful about how both Arlong and Nami changed the marks that enslaved them into their own symbol. Wow. I wonder if eventually Boa will do the same thing.
Aug 9, 2020 1:11 PM

May 2016
Finally learning about their tragic pasts really humanized the Gorgon Sisters for me and put my respect for Luffy through the roof as usual. Just seeing how affected they were by the Celestial Dragons' horrible treatment of them no matter how many years it has been was enough to make me feel immensely bad for them and I'm very glad that they finally came across someone who doesn't kowtow to those slave-owning bastards' every whim.

Boa Hancock has had one of the worst first impressions ever but that first genuine smile was genuinely beautiful. This looks like the start of a beautiful friendship.

Aug 20, 2020 2:52 PM

May 2020
Damn Oda really planned things out way far ahead considering that Hatchan was introduced so early in the series!!!

I really appreciate the longevity of the series, it really pays off and adds a lot more depths to characters and creates ties and relationships with characters that we know well.

Hancock explained the whole markings on their bodies and Hatchan 's backstory behind his mark!

It looks like Hatchan was a part of a member of Fisher Tiger's crew!
Sep 17, 2020 6:45 AM

Dec 2007
even without the preview i would guess that luffy won't go next to shabody.

great episode and tragic history of bencock, my only problem is that there are so many backgrounds stories in the anime i can't say it was that tearfull.

and i thought the bencock will understand already what kind of guy luffy is after saving her sisters and care more about maragreta than his crew to ask him if he would look at he in different way.
May 11, 2021 5:27 AM

Apr 2021
nc episodeeee aaaa >///<
“I am the Dark Flame Master. Perish, enveloped in the flames of darkness!”
May 27, 2021 9:03 AM

Jun 2019
That's my Hime sama. Goddess Boa Hancock.
Aug 11, 2021 2:24 PM

Aug 2021
Nice episode
I'm wondering in albasta arc when nami went ahead and show all of herself in the shower scene even luffy had nosebleed
but here luffy didn't even reacted to it o_O
Jan 9, 2022 1:08 AM

Sep 2021
tookthisusername said:
Nice episode
I'm wondering in albasta arc when nami went ahead and show all of herself in the shower scene even luffy had nosebleed
but here luffy didn't even reacted to it o_O

bcoz luffy's brain is reacting the same as everyone in the public shower(they're all the same for comedic purposes) in alabasta arc

meanwhile in here, luffy acts just like luffy himself(clueless, priority is exploring, and food). heck, even if i am there with luffy too, i would react the same bcoz i have no idea where, who and what is going on.
My name is Gustavo, But you can call me SUS!
Mar 31, 2022 11:24 AM

Dec 2012
The cruelty of the celestial dragons truly has no bounds. Seeing as this is One Piece, I can only hope the torment they endured was limited to PG-13. Still, OP does a great job at demonstrating how dehumanizing slavery & bondage is and how the trauma of it never fully goes away.

It also really put a new perspective on the fish-men and why the Arlong pirates were so ruthless to humans. Likely out of hatred & hurt, he ended up becoming a celestial dragon to Nami.
Apr 23, 2022 1:13 PM

Oct 2020
As ususal an amazing episode, with a great charecter backstory.
and another reason to hate the celestial dragons
May 24, 2022 10:14 AM

Feb 2014
Enslaved since they were like 8 years or so, better justification for their hatred of men than most other "Amazoness Island" interpretations out there.

Also, loli Sonia mega cute <333, I'm dying
Jun 9, 2023 1:43 AM
Oct 2019
Boa Hancock tragic past šŸ˜­

My god so many emotion in one episode.

Fck the Celestial Dragons.
Jul 6, 2023 2:55 PM
Jul 2018
Buggy the clown was on the newspaper Gloriosa had, we haven’t saw Buggy or Alvida for a long while but clearly they’re getting their name out there.
Oct 30, 2023 12:54 AM
Nov 2021
Trash episode. Could care less about Hancock's backstory and them being given Devil Fruits was nonsensical. Love how her two sisters just so happened to, by chance, be forced to eat two Snake Devil Fruits????? Idk why I'm supposed to "like" Hancock now as she is still an insufferable pos, nothing has changed.
Oct 31, 2023 11:11 PM
May 2019
Reply to dymable
Trash episode. Could care less about Hancock's backstory and them being given Devil Fruits was nonsensical. Love how her two sisters just so happened to, by chance, be forced to eat two Snake Devil Fruits????? Idk why I'm supposed to "like" Hancock now as she is still an insufferable pos, nothing has changed.
How much do you actually care about her backstory, then, since you could care less?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 408 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Hayato_kun - Jul 4, 2009

142 by bakakisima »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 405 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Hayato_kun - Jun 13, 2009

175 by bakakisima »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 527 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ElectricSlime - Dec 10, 2011

88 by kejora »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 93 Discussion

VARIAchan - Dec 16, 2009

49 by Ratris_Decision »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1098 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - Mar 23

43 by Gator »»
11 hours ago
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.