Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 11, 2014 9:44 AM

Mar 2013
TheDarkLordOtaku said:
I think a lot of his work is focused on the concepts of tragedy, or a dark story. The major problem I have with this (which applies pretty much across the board for anime) is that none of it is really that dark. I'm sure I'm going to get some people throwing titles at me in opposition to this claim, but I can say with relative conviction (based on my relatively well sampled palette) that most anime is remarkably lacking in dark undertones. It's gotten to the point where I find myself out right laughing at most of the "tragic" scenes, because I feel like it's the kind of material a person who has never experienced misfortune would say "Wow, that's so #sad." I even felt a lot of Psycho Pass which is often hailed for it's "darkness" didn't really go as far as it could. Anyway, that's my two cents rant, which summarizes with if Gen Urobuchi's stories are supposed to be some of the darkest, and I find them extremely lacking, then I find Gen Urobuchi lacking as an author as well.

I agree that Psycho-Pass, while it had plenty of gore, was not all that dark. For startersl, barely anybody dies in it. But at the same time, I don't find the tragic elements of Fate/Zero, for example, to be laughable.

But I'm curious, what would you consider dark? Kara no Kyouka 5 and 7i? Saya no Uta? Berserk?
Mar 11, 2014 10:19 AM

Aug 2013
I like Madoka and that's it. So, i don't like nor hate him. Indifference is the most precise word
Mar 11, 2014 11:31 AM
Jun 2012
Yes, I do love his works. I might prefer happier endings but his works are masterpieces nonetheless.
Mar 11, 2014 11:34 AM

Oct 2009
Hated Blassreiter and didn't care much for Psycho-Pass, the rest I liked.
Mar 11, 2014 11:44 AM

Mar 2012
Hes a far better author than anyone who has commented that's for sure. It's so easy being a critic.
Mar 11, 2014 11:49 AM

Jan 2014
Besides Blassreiter, he's a pretty good writer. The fact that Fate/Zero fit so well into the nasuverse is pretty amazing, as the other attempts at other writers attempting to write in that universe (*cough* Fate/Apocrypha *cough*) felt like fanfic.

Yeah, to be honest the only show by him (that i've seen) that I didn't like was Blassreiter. And Blassreiter wasn't abominable, it just wasn't good.
"I feel you! I feel you deeply! Your feeling I can feel deeply!" -The Jojo DUWANG scan, The greatest scanlation in human history.
Mar 11, 2014 6:35 PM

Apr 2011
Not really, I find his stuff ok (F/Z, Madoka, Saya no Uta, Gargantia) but they didn't really affect me that much.
Mar 11, 2014 6:43 PM

Feb 2013
I guess I should watch Fate/Zero
Mar 11, 2014 6:45 PM

Jun 2012
Most of his works lie in a realm of mediocrity but I'm enjoying the efforts he's put into Gaim thus far.

Though I'd like it if he actually started developing Kouta's character, exaggerated retorts and mannerisms a la ~Yuto & Kiriya can only get him so far.
Mar 11, 2014 6:47 PM

Nov 2009
one Urobuchi work that needs one good anime version, and i can die happily: Saya no Uta

Mar 11, 2014 6:49 PM

Apr 2011
sauteed_roaches said:
one Urobuchi work that needs one good anime version, and i can die happily: Saya no Uta

yeah, I don't think it's possible to pull this off lol.
Mar 11, 2014 6:51 PM

Jan 2013
Cabron said:
ran614 said:
"I will kill your favorite characters and there's nothing you can do about it"

-Gen Urobutcher.
Kill 'em all Tomino v2.

On sense, you can expect bits of this from Ryukushi07 works too.

Mar 11, 2014 6:53 PM

Nov 2009
Valaskjalf said:
sauteed_roaches said:

it is possible, but im expecting it to be "watered down" to get into a friendlier rating though :P...but with a good production studio it could be worked out nicely in the near future ;)

Mar 11, 2014 6:59 PM

Apr 2013
Out of all the anime he wrote, I only watched Fate/Zero. It's one of my favorites, so for now he's in my good books.
Mar 11, 2014 7:31 PM

Jun 2008
sauteed_roaches said:
Valaskjalf said:
sauteed_roaches said:

it is possible, but im expecting it to be "watered down" to get into a friendlier rating though :P...but with a good production studio it could be worked out nicely in the near future ;)
Watered down would no doubt ruin many fans' views of it. Some of the stuff if I recall might be more extreme than what some hentai have.
Mar 11, 2014 7:37 PM

Dec 2007
The shows Urobuchi have been involved in are very much hit or miss for me. Psycho-Pass and Fate/Zero I found quite impressive, especially in regards to the characters, themes, and dialogue. Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom was decent, but could have been much better if it weren't for Bee Train's involvement, in the hands of a better production company I think this could have been something great. Madoka Magica, Blassreiter, and Gargantia on the other hand I found mostly average, though I'm not exactly sure of how much involvement he had with Blassreiter and Gargantia.
Mar 11, 2014 7:38 PM

Apr 2013
I love Madoka Magica. Have yet to see Fate/Zero, but I assume it's going to be good. I like Gen's scripts I guess
Mar 11, 2014 7:50 PM

Nov 2009
Tachii said:
sauteed_roaches said:
Valaskjalf said:
sauteed_roaches said:

Watered down would no doubt ruin many fans' views of it. Some of the stuff if I recall might be more extreme than what some hentai have.

the only way to make it into a good anime is to let Urobutcher have his own hands on it...again...and i bet he will disapprove to make it remain untouched, even at all money he might end up earning with such ambitious project :P that how Gen loved saya like his loli child

Mar 11, 2014 7:53 PM

Dec 2011
He is in my favs, so yes
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2014 7:57 PM

Aug 2012
Dunky said:
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom was decent, but could have been much better if it weren't for Bee Train's involvement, in the hands of a better production company I think this could have been something great.

I love Phantom, but I've heard it's completely different from Gen's VN script.
Mar 11, 2014 8:12 PM

Dec 2007
AlexTheRiot said:
Dunky said:
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom was decent, but could have been much better if it weren't for Bee Train's involvement, in the hands of a better production company I think this could have been something great.

I love Phantom, but I've heard it's completely different from Gen's VN script.
That's interesting to hear actually, it seems Bee Train is notorious for doing that. Makes you wonder how much different it would have been if they followed the script more closely.
Mar 11, 2014 8:12 PM

Dec 2012
Don't know the man himself, only the works he's had influence on that I've seen, which were:

Hits:
Fate/Zero
Fate/Zero 2
Psycho-Pass
Puela Magi Madoka Magica
Puela Magi Madoka Magica Films 1-III

Misses:
Blassreiter
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

7 of 9 'ain't bad.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 11, 2014 8:16 PM

Sep 2012
Madoka Magicka
Fate/zero

And three others I plan on watching that are supposedly pretty good.

I'd say I like him.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Mar 11, 2014 10:42 PM

Jul 2013
yup. urobuchi's got pretty great stuff. majority of his work is impressive. really looking forward to aldnoah zero
Mar 11, 2014 11:52 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
sauteed_roaches said:
Tachii said:
sauteed_roaches said:
Valaskjalf said:
sauteed_roaches said:

the only way to make it into a good anime is to let Urobutcher have his own hands on it...again...and i bet he will disapprove to make it remain untouched, even at all money he might end up earning with such ambitious project :P that how Gen loved saya like his loli child
If it hasn't been adapted by now, over 10 years after Saya's release, it's not gonna happen. That being said I wonder what would have happened if it had been given to Shaft for adapting :3
Mar 12, 2014 5:54 AM

Apr 2013
I really liked Fate Zero, Suisei no Gargantia and Psycho Pass. I also enjoyed Phantom, so I'd say he's quite good.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Mar 12, 2014 9:44 AM

Jun 2011
Gen Urobuchi is cool, while I don't think of him as the "savior of modern anime" or some sort of ultra-amazing writer (he's still a good writer in my books, don't get me wrong), I have enjoyed most of his works so far. Fate/Zero is my favorite by Urobuchi, followed by Psycho-Pass and Madoka Magica (in that order). He's great at writing and setting up worlds where his characters suffer but seems to focus on that more than the characters themselves (except for maybe F/Z). It's fun predicting who's going to die first whenever Urobuchi is involved, keep them coming butcher!

Mar 12, 2014 9:49 AM

Nov 2012
Gen Urobuchi relies on way too many ideas from other writers.
Mar 12, 2014 10:10 AM

Jan 2013
did he write inferno cop? no! --> he sucks
Mar 12, 2014 10:11 AM

Feb 2010
TheNaturalPerm said:

Hard to argue against that.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 12, 2014 10:13 AM

Nov 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

Hard to argue against that.

True post right thur.
Mar 12, 2014 12:10 PM

Jun 2011
TheNaturalPerm said:

Truer words have never been spoken.

Mar 12, 2014 1:44 PM

Apr 2013
TheNaturalPerm said:

That's just not fair. It's true, but not fair.
Mar 12, 2014 1:50 PM

Aug 2012
<insert condescending comment about how his fans' standards are too low to see how bad he really is, considering they are comparing his works to moe slice of life trash>

He's pretty good. I've only seen Fate/Zero and Gargantia, and I liked them both. I might watch Psycho-Pass or Madoka Magica next.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Mar 12, 2014 2:54 PM

Aug 2013
TheNaturalPerm said:

/thread
Sup People and yes I am the physical manifestation of Shinji Ikari's Balls

And this what elite-sama says to incest
elite-sama said:
I'm against it because I don't have a sister. It's not fair.
Mar 12, 2014 3:18 PM

Apr 2013
His works are pretty enjoyable. I wish there were more people like him in the anime industry. No asking for everyone to do anime of the same type as him, mind you, but more people doing titles where you can really see that the authors really put their soul in their work. There's something in it that feels "personal". It's his, and not someone else's work nor something purely bland and commercial.
Dunno how to express it in English. I haven't seen a lot of his works, but I'm looking forward to see others as time passes. His works may not always please me, sure, I'm not the kind of guy to blindly approve anything someone does; but I'm pretty sure that I will never ends up looking down on one of his works even if I don't like it. So I'm glad he's writing stories.
Mar 12, 2014 3:23 PM

Dec 2013
Yeah, I like some of his works.
Mar 12, 2014 9:54 PM

Oct 2013
I liked Madoka and its first 2 movies (3rd was meh)

I really fucking loved Fate/Zero. The only other Urobuchi work I'm considering is Saya no Uta.

I think he's pretty good, but I won't say he's industry #1 or anything superlative like that.
にこにこにー~ おまえわわたしの嫁にする! 。。。なのは。。。エッチのこと。。。嫌いです!甘えな。。。
Mar 12, 2014 10:40 PM

Jun 2013
Fate/Zero is my favorite anime.

Madoka Magica is in my top 6 along with Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom.

Psycho Pass was also really good.

Urobuchi is the man.
Mar 12, 2014 11:29 PM

Mar 2012
To be honest I generally despise dark stuff. But when I think of 'dark' I think of juvenile tripe (Usually filled to the brim with deviant fetishes) like Mirai Nikki or Pupa. But those shows aren't bad because they're dark. They're bad because they're bad.

On the flip side Madoka and Fate/Zero are not good because they're dark. They're good because of the mature writing (By which I mean genuinely mature and not just shoving gore and suffering in your face), the thought provoking themes, multi-layered characters and the emotional depth.

That being said Psycho Pass was a little over the top with the dark elements and the execution of the above was a bit lacking in comparison. Plus it's probably the only Urobuchi work I'd call pretentious. Still an entertaining ride but even though the characters were well written I never really felt attached to them like I did in Madoka and Fate/Zero.

Overall though I'd say he's probably one of the best writers still alive today especially after Madoka Rebellion.
Mar 12, 2014 11:52 PM

Nov 2012
Mayjaplaya said:

I really fucking loved Fate/Zero. The only other Urobuchi work I'm considering is Saya no Uta.

I think he's pretty good, but I won't say he's industry #1 or anything superlative like that.

Psycho-Pass is pretty good. Check out the awesome OP and I'm sure you'll want to check it out.
Mar 12, 2014 11:52 PM

Jun 2013
SeibaaHomu said:
To be honest I generally despise dark stuff. But when I think of 'dark' I think of juvenile tripe (Usually filled to the brim with deviant fetishes) like Mirai Nikki or Pupa. But those shows aren't bad because they're dark. They're bad because they're bad.

On the flip side Madoka and Fate/Zero are not good because they're dark. They're good because of the mature writing (By which I mean genuinely mature and not just shoving gore and suffering in your face), the thought provoking themes, multi-layered characters and the emotional depth.

That being said Psycho Pass was a little over the top with the dark elements and the execution of the above was a bit lacking in comparison. Plus it's probably the only Urobuchi work I'd call pretentious. Still an entertaining ride but even though the characters were well written I never really felt attached to them like I did in Madoka and Fate/Zero.

Overall though I'd say he's probably one of the best writers still alive today especially after Madoka Rebellion.

This post sums up my thoughts exactly. Well said.
Mar 12, 2014 11:53 PM

Jun 2013
TheOldHome said:
Mayjaplaya said:

Psycho-Pass is pretty good. Check out the awesome OP and I'm sure you'll want to check it out.

What did you think of the 2nd OP?
Mar 12, 2014 11:57 PM

Nov 2012
Evatallica said:
TheOldHome said:
Mayjaplaya said:

It's good. I didn't like the fact that it changed at first, but I consider both OPs pretty good. I love how they really pump you up :)
Mar 13, 2014 12:05 AM

Jun 2013
TheOldHome said:
Evatallica said:
TheOldHome said:
Mayjaplaya said:

It's good. I didn't like the fact that it changed at first, but I consider both OPs pretty good. I love how they really pump you up :)

~Cause I feeeeeeeeeel~ Oh man, classic. And yes you're right! At first I was like, noooooooo, but I ended up enjoying it
Mar 13, 2014 11:09 AM

Jan 2014
Evatallica said:

~Cause I feeeeeeeeeel~

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOUUUUUUUUU~
"I feel you! I feel you deeply! Your feeling I can feel deeply!" -The Jojo DUWANG scan, The greatest scanlation in human history.
Jul 27, 2014 7:43 PM

Nov 2012
Fate Zero and Madoka are both good shows, but his type of writing isn't my favorite, too dark for my tastes.
Jul 27, 2014 7:45 PM

Sep 2011
Hes just another writer to me, i dont see him as anything special and that also includes feelings of negativity he is often described in. I like and dont like some of his works respectfully.

Also PP opening 2 or get the fuck out.
JizzyHitlerJul 27, 2014 7:50 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 27, 2014 7:50 PM

Mar 2014
He's okay.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Yesterday

51 by KitsuFrost »»
43 seconds ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 7 hours ago

22 by GoddessLove »»
21 minutes ago

» What are you watching right now??

Nashiro18 - Apr 21

44 by ProGoddess »»
21 minutes ago

» Your Strongest and Weakest Recommendation from your Favorites

Pokitaru - 57 minutes ago

9 by Otakupervert890 »»
24 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Yesterday

27 by Ratris_Decision »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.