Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
 
#1
Feb 23, 2014 1:20 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1178
It has been announced that Toriko will be ending its run on March 30th, after which the new Dragon Ball Kai (2014) anime will make its debut. The remastered Dragon Ball anime will take Toriko's time slot beginning April 6, 2014.

The Toriko TV anime, which first premiered in 2011, will end just short of 150 episodes.

Source: Mantan Web, Toriko Twitter

News submitted by aboe
Modified by myanimelistllc, Mar 5, 2016 11:46 PM
[b]Join #myanimelist on RizonIRC![b]
(^∇^)

 
#2
Feb 23, 2014 1:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1530
Well that's a shame. I thought it was pretty enjoyable. But since it didn't have underage girls who sound like mice talking and flashing their panties, the Japanese don't care :(.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
 
#3
Feb 23, 2014 1:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
I was hoping Toriko would take the place of the longest airing anime I'd watched from start to finish. Too bad. Well I'm expecting it back later, Kai won't be airing forever.
 
#4
Feb 23, 2014 1:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 23708
Considering the ratings and reception, as well as lack of any sort of redeeming value, no freaking surprise.
 
#5
Feb 23, 2014 1:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 167
Nooo :(
Well at least now I have more incentive to start watching it :3
 
#6
Feb 23, 2014 1:35 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 1
Dragon Ball Back and Gintama Don't back ~.~
 
#7
Feb 23, 2014 1:37 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1178
Fixed a very serious error. Sorry about that people.
[b]Join #myanimelist on RizonIRC![b]
(^∇^)

 
#8
Feb 23, 2014 1:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 10065
It was expected now that the anime is catching up to the manga rapidly and Dragon Ball Kai taking over the timeslot etc.
Toriko deserves, imo, more recognition. It's such a great show and the only thing keeping me from giving it a full 10/10 is that the animation in the later episodes becomes very low quality, which is probably because the 2013 movie bombed.

It'll probably be back, I can't see Toei giving up on it just yet. I'll look forward to its return and perhaps I'll read the manga in the meanwhile.
 
#9
Feb 23, 2014 1:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 49
that's like what 8 episodes left? The anime was getting close to the time skip so I guess it's a good place to take a break and i'm sure it will come back. But this is really bittersweet news
 
Feb 23, 2014 1:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 11229
This is some of the worst news I've heard in a while.
 
Feb 23, 2014 1:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 730
well, there goes another one of my weeklies ='(
feels like there's plenty story left, so I've really got my fingers crossed for its return after Kai. if fairy fail can come back, so can toriko.

Miku_Fan_39 said:
that's like what 8 episodes left? The anime was getting close to the time skip so I guess it's a good place to take a break and i'm sure it will come back. But this is really bittersweet news

wow. thanks a lot. I hate when people like you have no regard for keeping spoilers to yourself. let the entire world know a time skip is coming up. unbelievable.
 
Feb 23, 2014 2:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 222
And there is my incentive to actually try and start watching it. Although I wasn't to fond of it when they did the combined episodes with One Piece. I also gave the first couple of episodes a try and it just didn't seem like a good show. I mean the whole plot revolves around him searching for ingredients for meals? Doesn't sound to entertaining.

Miku_Fan_39 said:
that's like what 8 episodes left? The anime was getting close to the time skip so I guess it's a good place to take a break and i'm sure it will come back. But this is really bittersweet news

doeman said:
wow. thanks a lot. I hate when people like you have no regard for keeping spoilers to yourself. let the entire world know a time skip is coming up. unbelievable.


Not to be mean but even if you didn't know a time skip was coming you have to figure there was going to be a time skip somewhere in this story. Every long running Shounen Manga/Anime has had some kind of time skip or another. Even if it is just a short one. They are usually a perfect way for the creator to progress the story and allow for his characters to power up without having to 'create' the whole scenario up.
Modified by Anoki, Feb 23, 2014 2:32 PM
 
Feb 23, 2014 2:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 234
YAY \O/
 
Feb 23, 2014 2:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 3653
i hope it comes back once the manga ends at least
 
Feb 23, 2014 2:35 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 537
Well, now seems like a good time to finally start watching it...
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
 
Feb 23, 2014 2:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 6382
It looks terrible.
 
Feb 23, 2014 3:00 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 2360
if it comes bk hopefully they start adding blood 2 it!!!
 
Feb 23, 2014 3:09 PM

Online
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 10292
Try the anime didn't like it. Funny how people were saying this will be the next one piece. lol
 
Feb 23, 2014 4:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 50528
Toriko took a bit of time to grow on me. I suppose its time to read the manga, since its apparently better than the anime..

Behold of my awesomeness~
 
Feb 23, 2014 4:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2377
I haven't watched Toriko, but I think I should say the following.

Wait, Toriko's ending?!? Did the apocalypse happen? Are we all dead?
 
Feb 23, 2014 4:48 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 31059
If it doesn't come back after Kai I'll be pissed :(

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though
 
Feb 23, 2014 4:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2110
Will it "end" like Bleach or like Fairy Tail?
I'm looκing for someone interesting to talk with, are you good enough?
 
Feb 23, 2014 5:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 23438
I hope we see the fight between Midora and Ichiryu.
Of course without rushing it too much.
The manga isn't that far ahead, a break isn't that bad.
 
Feb 23, 2014 5:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 4810
How was Torikos ranking been in Jump recently anyways?
 
Feb 23, 2014 5:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1266
Now I can stop putting myself off of from watching it, though i'll give it another 8 or so weeks.
 
Feb 23, 2014 5:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1189
I wish Toriko was adapted correctly, and that they didn't pull a Magi and change things around at the end while ruining an amazing part of the manga. Oh well, I hope it comes back, but it'd need a 2 year break at least I'd say, otherwise there will be fillers pretty soon after it comes back, if it does. Not surprised the anime didn't get too popular in Japan, for those who read the manga know they made it so kid friendly, blah.
 
Feb 23, 2014 6:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 112350
How consistent is the anime with the manga for those that follows both mediums? Anyways, I'll marathon this most likely.
 
Feb 23, 2014 6:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 122
MajinSaga said:
Well that's a shame. I thought it was pretty enjoyable. But since it didn't have underage girls who sound like mice talking and flashing their panties, the Japanese don't care :(.

You must be retarded or something.
 
Feb 23, 2014 6:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 22625
Nope_ said:
How was Torikos ranking been in Jump recently anyways?

Consistently in the top 5 since the anime came out about 3 years ago so the anime did its job I guess.
 
Feb 23, 2014 6:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 113
This anime is funny that's all but now I will continue on watching it.


 
Feb 23, 2014 6:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1857
Predictable. The quality of the anime was falling too.
 
Feb 23, 2014 6:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 12745
That's for the better I guess, I'll probably read the manga once I catch up, probably start from the Festival arc since a lot of people say that this arc is probably the best of Toriko and it got butchered hard in the anime.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
 
Feb 23, 2014 7:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 3237
MajinSaga said:
Well that's a shame. I thought it was pretty enjoyable. But since it didn't have underage girls who sound like mice talking and flashing their panties, the Japanese don't care :(.


While I will admit that part of the reason I don't like Toriko the same way I like One Piece is for the lack of girls. What you said though is a bit unfair, the anime is pretty damn bad as an adaptation regardless of the lack of 'fanservice'. They censored the living hell out of everything on it. The pacing felt off since the soup arc. It was just a bad production, and it was ill received.

I am a little surprised though Toei doesn't cancel Shonen's very often. Even though didn't like the Toriko anime; I stopped watching after the Mellow Cola Arc. I still thought it was probably decent enough to survive with it's appeal to kids. I wonder what Toei is going to replace it with, after DBZ: Kai ends.
Modified by FullmetalRaikou, Feb 23, 2014 7:31 PM
 
Feb 23, 2014 7:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 867
keragamming said:
Try the anime didn't like it. Funny how people were saying this will be the next one piece. lol


In some ways, it's relateable to the One Piece, but that's only in the manga for Toriko. Toei does a bad job at adapting this series especially if you read the manga for Toriko. The manga is way more violent and bloody in the manga, but the anime takes out any form of blood.

antonnn said:
I wish Toriko was adapted correctly, and that they didn't pull a Magi and change things around at the end while ruining an amazing part of the manga. Oh well, I hope it comes back, but it'd need a 2 year break at least I'd say, otherwise there will be fillers pretty soon after it comes back, if it does. Not surprised the anime didn't get too popular in Japan, for those who read the manga know they made it so kid friendly, blah.


Agreed. Toriko would've been way more popular if the anime was adapted properly and attract more mature fans
 
Feb 23, 2014 7:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 3237
Kvshi said:


Agreed. Toriko would've been way more popular if the anime was adapted properly and attract more mature fans


While I don't personally think blood and gore = 'mature entertainment.' I think the problem in the case of Toriko, is that by censoring 90% of the violence from the manga. They actually end up losing a lot of the reason of what makes Toriko different from the other fighting Shonens. The whole point of Toriko is that it was a bit of a throwback to the early 90s, and 80s anime action heroes. Who where big muscular men that would fight barehanded putting holes through people and that kind of thing. When I first started reading Toriko I thought it was kind of like a mixture of Fist of the North Star and Dragon Ball Z. The anime came off as a cheap and superficial and didn't really get the feel of the manga at all.

In some cases censorship isn't that big of a deal, but with Toriko it was overdone and it really ruined a lot of pivotal moments in the manga. I don't think this is going to get picked up again, at least not by Toei. If it does I hope another studio gets it and does a better job. I'm actually glad the show is cancelled the last few chapters of the previous arc in the manga are brutal and I cringe just thinking about what Toei would have done trying to adapt this into the anime.
 
Feb 23, 2014 7:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 867
Uriel_The_Fourth said:
Kvshi said:


Agreed. Toriko would've been way more popular if the anime was adapted properly and attract more mature fans


While I don't personally think blood and gore = 'mature entertainment.' I think the problem in the case of Toriko, is that by censoring 90% of the violence from the manga. They actually end up losing a lot of the reason of what makes Toriko different from the other fighting Shonens. The whole point of Toriko is that it was a bit of a throwback to the early 90s, and 80s anime action heroes. Who where big muscular men that would fight barehanded putting holes through people and that kind of thing. When I first started reading Toriko I thought it was kind of like a mixture of Fist of the North Star and Dragon Ball Z. The anime came off as a cheap and superficial and didn't really get the feel of the manga at all.

In some cases censorship isn't that big of a deal, but with Toriko it was overdone and it really ruined a lot of pivotal moments in the manga. I don't think this is going to get picked up again, at least not by Toei. If it does I hope another studio gets it and does a better job. I'm actually glad the show is cancelled the last few chapters of the previous arc in the manga are brutal and I cringe just thinking about what Toei would have done trying to adapt this into the anime.


My bad. I didn't explain the way I wanted to explain "mature fans" properly.

Well yeah, I was thinking characters from Toriko were inspired from characters from FOTNS and DBZ. It's pretty easy to tell if you've seen it haha.

I actually wasn't surprise how the anime is cancelled. By the pace and animation and movements Toei was putting , it would've been even a bigger disappoint then it already was.

Toriko is probably going to get another adaption later in the future probably by a higher quality studio.
 
Feb 23, 2014 8:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 525
This isn't really good or bad news for someone like me, I won't be watching the Kai version of the Buu saga until it's English dubbed anyway.
 
Feb 23, 2014 8:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 4
Actually I think we will see it return again. I have a feeling they're pulling it because it's getting too close to the manga.
 
Feb 23, 2014 8:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24367
Uriel_The_Fourth said:

I am a little surprised though Toei doesn't cancel Shonen's very often.

Their anime always have high ratings and they have great time slots. They have no reason to cancel anything.
 
Feb 23, 2014 8:41 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 44
So it looks like I lost a weekly show while gaining a weekly manga to read.
 
Feb 23, 2014 9:03 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 192
man i remember when this was announced as a anime

ppl saying it was the next big shounen . never like the concept of food so i never checked it out
 
Feb 23, 2014 9:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 1949
Well, while I hate when anime finish before manga, at least now Kai can adapt the final arc.

Hopefully, Toriko will return later, and less censored.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

 
Feb 23, 2014 9:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 19935
too bad this anime end so fast..
:(
Visit MyAnimeList | Visit MyProfile | Sig Made by Sacreds
 
Feb 23, 2014 9:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 6101
I really hate anime that do senseless fillers when they can focus more on the pilot/canon stuff... like Beelzebub where we the anime didn't even properly finished its best arc.

Oh well, reading the manga is still way better, the anime was made too family friendly which is not that loyal to the manga where it is full of blood.

Hate that they put blood, and then remove it again in the recent episodes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Feb 23, 2014 11:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 3030
Well I haven't watched past the Soup arc, the pacing, story and characters are pretty dull..I have checked some of the manga and it is tons better. Also its no wonder the anime is doing bad, Toei has been fucking up One Piece lately as well :(
If only ufotable adapted the whole series instead of the OVA :/
 
Feb 23, 2014 11:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 4190
Tried the anime out and it was too censored and added new characters that weren't in the manga.

The manga is great tbh, don't judge a series off it's shitty adaptation.
 
Feb 24, 2014 12:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 354
Good.
 
Feb 24, 2014 6:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 553
Guys dont worry, i think because the anime almost caught up to the manga, they decided to put it on hiatus and air dbzkai meanwhile. And once kai is over they will put toriko back.

And the Toriko manga is truly epic. its the fault of toei that they cencored all the blood and gore, added a filler character and even changed the story.

so the manga is epic but it got a bad anime adoptation
 
Feb 24, 2014 9:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1218
That's a shame. Hopefully it comes back later like Fairy Tail did.
 
Feb 24, 2014 3:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 3339
so the anime is ending and the manga is in hiatus
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top
Pages (2) [1] 2 »