Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 17, 2014 7:18 AM

Jun 2014
Rei was the nicest dude last season, hope he gets his time to shine !

xD when they faked their amazement at the end !
Jul 17, 2014 9:31 AM

Apr 2014
Man this show gets a little too deep sometimes. But this episode made me like Rei more. And more Rin being awesome, yay! More Rin next episode too! 4/5
Jul 17, 2014 9:57 AM

Mar 2014
Too much Reigisa this episode I can't handle it!!! Totally my OTP! Nagisa clutching onto Rei's leg was just too cuuuuuuute!
Rin's cleavage.... LOL
Jul 17, 2014 10:44 AM

Jul 2010
AlexGK said:
Trannosaurus said:
Cute episode. Needs more Gou.

Every episode needs more Gou. And more of her too :D
Too bad we aint gonna get it here :)
I know right.They should just make 3h Free! anime film about Gou.
Jul 17, 2014 12:55 PM
Mar 2012
Mills said:
Didn't expect Rei to be taking swimming lessons from Rin.
Neither did I. Or Rin calling him a friend.

I LOL'd at the pool opening scene when everyone should warm up and Haru just wanted to jump in like that. I totally saw that coming. So did Makoto...
Jul 17, 2014 1:13 PM
Mar 2014
Good job Rei !
Jul 17, 2014 3:43 PM

Jan 2013
Rei finally learns how to swim in different forms.
Felt a little like filler for most of the episode though
Jul 17, 2014 3:48 PM
Jul 2014
I loved this episode soooo much because of rin's black t-shirt agagga
Jul 17, 2014 4:06 PM

Jul 2012
So...something was wrong with Rei. :3
He wanted to swim other styles, so he trained with Rin. :3
Hmmm, pretty sweet episode. :P

Anyways, next episode! D: What's gonna happen between the 2 best friends? D:
Jul 17, 2014 6:01 PM

May 2010
Delicious episode! Rei-chan is one of my favourites, I absolutely adore this guy. Lol @Haru swimming through the air, and my favourite one:
Ceresia said:
lol @ Rei feeling like Picasso during arts class:

Loved it :D
Jul 17, 2014 6:46 PM

Feb 2013
So many nagisa-rei-otp-bromance here. :3
And also, the cookie!!! Mikoshiba is such a cutie. xD
Jul 17, 2014 7:52 PM

Jul 2012
RediceRyan said:
Felt a little like filler for most of the episode though

Surprisingly, I am 100% okay with Free! filler.
Jul 17, 2014 9:41 PM

Jun 2013
Lol pretty fun episode. Rei's putting in that effort good for him :)

KumaKingJul 17, 2014 9:47 PM
Jul 18, 2014 2:04 AM

Nov 2013
Only KyoAni could pull off equal parts feels, HNNNGGGG, and laughs in such big proportions. I lost it at the end when they pretended to be amazed at Rei's improvement. And Rei's training thing overall was heartwarming.
Jul 18, 2014 2:25 AM

Aug 2012
stephatnam said:
I very much enjoyed having an episode centered around Rei. However, as Ravivi said, there was a good balance with the other characters as well.

The land relay was fun to watch. Rei shined there! Haru as a slow runner is also pretty funny.

Rei reminds me of myself and my insecurities. Like him, butterfly is my saving grace in the pool with the rest of my strokes being fairly fast at best (free) to kinda bad (backstroke) to completely hopeless at worst (breastroke). I was always insecure about this, so Rei's problems resonate with me.

Oh my god. The show now has invoked gayness... even if it was misdirected. Gou's reaction to Rei's apparent attraction to the track captain made me laugh so hard.

Very interesting watching a major running gag of the show start to disappear. Rin teaching back, breast, and free not only does that, but it also shows how Rin has mellowed out and become more compassionate compared to the first season. Not in my wildest dreams would I have imagined this happening last year.

Rei giving Rin the cookies... ah... <3 He really worked hard for Rin.

Those acting skills. Pitiful and hilarious. Gou made me laugh a ton this episode.

Very enjoyable episode overall. Hopefully we will have more Sousuke soon... :)

I'm gonna miss that gag.

It's always nice to see actual swimmers relate to the show.
As a swimmer, I was wondering if you could tell me what's the difference between the breast-stroke and freestyle? They look similar to me.

On Rin, I always liked Mamoru Miyano's acting, but I particularly enjoy him as Rin.

I expect to see a struggle between Rin's commitment to his team, to his own training, and to his friends. I'm hoping our main gang of 5 encounters some problems, but they can't go to Rin for help all the time they realize. I imagine the Sosuke thing possible being one. Haru won't tell anyone, save for MAYBE Gou, but in this case I doubt she would say anything. Rin has a lot on his plate already.
raviviJul 18, 2014 2:48 AM
Jul 18, 2014 3:05 PM

Aug 2011
Sousuke definitely has something in his mind, he seemed pretty down this episode. I think he feels that Rin's commitment to his friends is detrimental to his swimming, which is kind of what Rin thought last season, when he claimed that swimming in that relay had slowed him down.

Loved it though, it was nice seeing Rei trying so hard for his team and Rin helping him was great. Also liked that Rei's actions from episode 12 were adressed by both Rin (a bit) and Haruka. I feel bad for Nitori though, he put up with angsty grumpy Rin and as soon as he's mellowed out, Rin leaves him. He gets Momo though so it's not so bad <3

Next episode seems to be centered around Sousuke and Rin so I'm really excited, anything Rin-centric makes me happy <3
Jul 18, 2014 3:16 PM

May 2012
This was probably my favorite episode so far and yes I'm also including the the first season when I say this. Rei is my favorite character and seeing just how much he's improved in this episode alone really left me satisfied.

....Also I won't forget that this episode is pretty much my shipping fuel haha. So many hints at a bunch of Rei pairings, though RinRei and NagiRei seem to be the highlight.

Also Momotaro makes this episode infinitely better, I will never get over Rin's "cleavage"
Jul 18, 2014 8:23 PM

Jul 2013
Funny and slight dramatic episode I really thought that Rei will quit swimming. Rei is more likable this season but not only him, but also Rin. When did Rei and Rin become that close friends? I like those two even more. That trolling of Rin with Mikoshiba is funny and also when he tap the cookie in his chest like a sea otter xD

A lot of trolling this episode. I hope this season will getting more better and better. :D
"Anything is possible if you stop doubting yourself, so put some more faith unto you!"
Jul 19, 2014 7:01 AM

Jan 2012
At the beginning I tought that it was too similar to some episode of the first season, expecially about the problem that Rei has with other styles, but by the end of the episode I totally loved it. Very funny and enjoyable.
Jul 19, 2014 9:51 AM

Mar 2011
So glad they're trying to actually focus on other characters now.
Jul 19, 2014 3:22 PM

Dec 2009
This was the best episode of the whole series thus far (Including season 1). Absolutely awesome. Blew me away completely.

5/5
Jul 19, 2014 6:02 PM

Jun 2012
They are really upping the gay this season.
Jul 19, 2014 6:35 PM

Jun 2011
Rei-channn I wanna squish his cheeks so hard!!
Jul 19, 2014 6:47 PM

Feb 2010
Oh gosh. It's like this show is purposefully causing me great confusion in my favorite pairings.
I MIGHT AS WELL JUST SHIP EVERYONE WITH REI. SHIP EVERYONE WITH EVERYONE.

Anything works.

The moment I literally started dying of laughter was when Haru was running and re-quoting his infamous swimming line. LOL.
Jul 20, 2014 11:21 AM

Feb 2014
Shuhan said:
They are really upping the gay this season.

Yea, it's great :D
L had a poster of Norman in his room
Jul 20, 2014 12:24 PM
Jul 2012
Rei suddenly reminded me of Mandark from Dexter show O.O
cuz his laugh?

n me too~! i love Rin so much this season~
but im not forgetting bout Sousuke~ <3
Jul 20, 2014 12:45 PM
Apr 2011
"You prefer bottom too, don't you?"

Sousuke and Rin interaction in the beginning is so gay LOL. Fujoshis are probably going nuts with that scene LOL.
Jul 20, 2014 1:02 PM

Sep 2009
Rei learning from Rin was pretty cute. ovo

Not sure if my previous comment made it, but everyone's "shocked" reactions to Rei was also extremely entertaining.
Suzune-chanJul 22, 2014 10:53 AM
Jul 21, 2014 2:20 AM
Dec 2013
While some people say it felt like a filler episode, I actually find it sort of fitting for this season.

In the first season, Rei was asked to join the swimteam while he was still on track. Nagisa tried everything to make him join them and succeeded.
Now in the second season, it's episode 3 and Rei's asked to come /back/ to the track team. Nagisa needs to try and make Rei stay because of his biggest fear: being alone.

It shows how much the characters have grown towards each other. It also shows some of Nagisa's biggest fears instead of his always happy-go-lucky mood.
TomatepompomJan 28, 2015 1:50 AM
Jul 21, 2014 3:58 AM

Jun 2009
Rei is really a cutie. I didn't like him in the first season, but he's growing on me now.
Also, yaaaay, Haruka is opening up a little more each episode!
Jul 23, 2014 10:46 AM

Feb 2009
This is one of my most favorite episodes out of Free! because of Rei's growth and work ethic. Plus all of the crazy maniacal laughter and trying to hide that he is up to something haha.
Jul 24, 2014 8:27 AM

Jun 2008
Omg Rei <3
Jul 25, 2014 3:23 PM

Jul 2013
haruka and makoto are talking a lot in this season. I mean: a loooot. rEally
We're all mad here
Jul 26, 2014 12:14 PM

Mar 2013
So many giggles this episode~!
& I thought those cookies were from Kou, too haha.
Jul 27, 2014 4:48 PM

Feb 2011
that was cute :3
Jul 28, 2014 5:50 PM

Dec 2008
Rin was hilarious and adorable in ths episode. He and Makoto are still my favorites. Shark boy is kind of growing on me now too.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 31, 2014 12:34 PM

Jan 2010
iroonline said:
Nice to have an episode centered around Rei, he was so cute at the end.
Aug 3, 2014 10:17 PM

Sep 2012
After episode 2 being fantastic, this episode was a giant let down.

The melodrama was pumped up to 11. Everybody overreacting in the most forced ways possible made it really hard to watch in one sitting. I just couldn't take anything seriously.

Rei annoys me a lot. His whole "beautiful" schtick isn't really funny, and doesn't make a lot of practical sense. I can't imagine a real life human being acting so hung up on that, unless they had like Aspergers or something.

Also, the whole "look at how close we are and such good friends" thing they keep trying to portray works a lot better when they're like, just doing shit together and hanging out. Not when they're making melodramatic speeches with tears in their eyes as soft piano music plays in the background. It's a fucking high school club, like seriously.

I really dislike the way that everybody crowds around Haru and acts all surprised and awe struck every time he speaks a line of dialogue. They treat him like he's mentally handicapped.

Nagisa should come out of the closet already. It would make the show better.

Rin and his roommate feel like the only normal people in this show as of now :/
Aug 7, 2014 12:28 PM

Nov 2010
An episode centered around Rei is always good and this was fantastic
From the track relay to failing at other strokes by Rei and the homemade cookie excitement it was really entertaining

Rin helping Rei out by teaching him was so bro, Sousuke got jelly again
Aug 26, 2014 3:21 PM
May 2014
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Rei you cutie ^^

As a 100% straight man i can say that I love this and it was so cute to see Rin helping Rei so he could surprise everyone :P
Sep 25, 2014 11:22 AM

Jun 2011
Need more Samezuka!! It's a Rei centered episode but it feels filler-ish.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 7, 2014 1:13 AM
May 2012
Them misunderstandings ahahaha.
Seriously, why is there no one joining their club?!?! I would definitely join their club!!
Rei is a good character :D Rei's cookies ahahaha. Rin's cleavage for the win!! Gou is freakin cute :3
Nov 26, 2014 1:21 PM

Jul 2013
That was cool, it was nice of Rin to teach Rei how to swim even though they are on opposing teams because he considers him a friend.
Feb 16, 2015 12:26 AM
Feb 2015
It was a funny episode. It was funny when she though that Rei is going out with the track team captain. And what does Rin owe to Rei? I've completely forgotten...
Jul 7, 2015 1:08 AM

Aug 2007
REI IS SO GOD DAMN CUTE <333
I can't handle it ;___;

Sep 10, 2015 10:32 AM

May 2015
Why does this anime make me so happy?? >w<

Also, Nagisa is ADORABLE, and Rei is a beautiful person. ;w; Also, Mako was pretty hot when he got serious and canceled practice, but then he didn't have a good (fake) reason, lol. XD (of course he's still adorable, who doesn't love Mako-chan? Nagisa's way of referring to them tends to rub off on me, lol...)

And Haru and Rin are awesome as always, lol.

Not quite a fan of Momo yet, but he doesn't bother me I guess. Lol, those cookies were made by Rei. X'D
Feb 13, 2016 9:04 PM

Apr 2015
palladia said:
I absolutely love how the characters are becoming more multifaceted in this season. The character development is a huge plus to this. The expansion upon the basic personalities that were introduced to us is really giving me a sense of these characters having personalities that could be real. Nagisa isn't just bright and bubbly, but also determined to keep the team together [ tries to get to the bottom of problems and resolve any issues ]. Rei isn't just serious, he's also determined and he can have fun, too [ asks Rin to help him, really wants to train hard so that he can do the best he can to contribute to the team]. Makoto was introduced to us as caring and somewhat submissive, but now we see him as prepared to take initiative [ he stops Haru from jumping into the pool, tells the swim club what to do, is the one to decide to confront Rei about whatever he happens to be doing]. I'm probably most impressed with Haruka's character development. In season one, I thought his character was alright, but lacked more to it than a basic tsundere personality. However, now we see him actually talking, and encouraging others, as well as trying to solve some problems on his own. I feel as though the team became a lot closer, overall.
This sums up their personalities very well. +1.

Also, that cleavage part is hilarious! Momotarou is such an adorable character.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Feb 20, 2016 9:46 AM

Jun 2010
More Rei! I really adore him! And it was great to see Rei x Rin. Hasn't been many scenes with them together.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 14, 2016 5:21 PM

Mar 2012
nop, i didn't just teared up to this episode. definitely not.

rei and nagisa are my favorte characters and this episode was so heartwarming. <3 it left me with a small smile and a good feeling, like i can feel their friendship too.
Jun 5, 2016 3:08 AM
Nov 2015
In which Rin and Sousuke did janken pon to decide who would top who would bottom. No it's not me cuz the shows really emphasize that they repeated the bottom bottom word a lot
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2014

189 by hidenashi »»
Feb 9, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2014

125 by hidenashi »»
Feb 8, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2014

107 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2014

113 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2014

304 by hidenashi »»
Feb 3, 8:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.