Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 21, 3:32 AM
Mar 2020
Lakan has a more sinister presence in the anime than in the manga. This is someone that even Jinshi does not eff around with.
Jan 21, 4:37 AM
Dec 2014
I haven't been so immersed into an anime in a long long time, so much so that i'm all caught up with the manga and reading the light novels.
Jan 21, 5:09 AM

Jun 2016
that guy with one glasses almosst have same eyes colour like mao2 , so we understand he is the F***r
Jan 21, 6:00 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to MohammedQ2003
phantomfandom said:
Basen reminds me of Lihaku.

I thought it was Lihaku when I first saw him, then he was introduced as Basen
@MohammedQ2003 they are both young and muscular militry officers. On this their similarities end. They look similar because of the same uniform and young man look.
Jan 21, 6:37 AM

Dec 2008
hm, I think they changed order of some stories, I have a feeling that next episode should have happened few episodes ago...
Jan 21, 6:50 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Decent episode, can't wait one week again :/
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Jan 21, 9:28 AM
Sep 2021
So Maomao solved one more case successfully, but before even she can rest, she will be assigned to another case.
Jan 21, 10:24 AM
Jul 2017
did the general have his way with the woman and lower her price?????????????????

also this weeks mystery sucked
Jan 21, 12:20 PM

May 2018
Maomao loving the taste of poision

Wonder what the strageist is thinking about, seems it could be Maomao mother from flash back

"Don't give up after failing just twice.
We'll be able to do it next time.
Failure is the stepping stone to success."

Jan 21, 6:00 PM
Oct 2022
Reply to SCxsawamura
The creepy guy in this episode makes me feel that he might be Maomao's Dad. I think he SA'd her mother and had Maomao. This is all just theories but he's a strategist and she's got like 1000 IQ and the flash glimpse of her mother as the creepy guy was talking. I think that her current acknowledged father helped her mother give birth to Maomao and raised her but isn't her biological father which could make sense especially because the courtesans in the Pleasure Districts are like sisters to Maomao as in her mother would've been their senior and the doctor makes a lot of the emergency visits in regards to poisonous and/or physical injuries to the courtesans.
@SCxsawamura You know 100 IQ is exactly average, right? And notice they both have blue eyes, while the guy that raised her doesn't. Blue-eyed strategist guy, green-haired bitchy courtesan? This is sounding familiar...

P.S.: I'm getting really tired of FMC treating Jinshi like shit after everything he's done for her.
Jan 21, 6:41 PM
Oct 2019
Detective Maomao in action again.

This guy Lakan seems like a bad news for sure.
Jan 21, 7:59 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Ah cliff hangers. Gotta love them. Got to wait until next week to find out what is going to happen between everyone, but this episode was great. The new OP and ED are a perfect touch as well
Jan 22, 4:45 AM

May 2015
Very funny episode, but it also shows how Mao Mao is ready to risk her life.
Jan 22, 11:17 AM

Aug 2022
Oh man this is getting interesting. Did the suspicious lakan guy poison maomao's mom? Perhaps thats why she initially got into kusuri, to find a cure. That doesn't really suit her character,though. And that tavern he heard about the poison... isn't it the same place where the guy drank something really salty? A coincidence? probably... but you never know... I really like the way this show is going. Connections.
Jan 22, 9:16 PM

Dec 2020
I hate when people discuss the LN here and spoil things. We don't want to know how new introduced characters who get depicted as evil will turn out to be good guys.
Jan 22, 11:47 PM
Feb 2015
The eccentric high officials seem to reminds me of maomao and the way he said to degrade the value of courtesan is sus. Maomao easily solve the mystery of seaweed and got the culprit.
Jan 23, 11:56 AM

Jul 2016
Maomao's vomiting sounds LMAO

Lakan has a really shady vibe and got a feeling him revealing the courtesan he's talking about is gonna be really bad news.
Jan 23, 5:27 PM

Jul 2016
I'm trying my hardest to focus on the mysteries this show has but this last couple of episodes have been so damn boring. Let's hope this Lakan dude can bring a new dynamic to the table.
Jan 23, 10:30 PM

Jul 2017
Lakan has taken a liking to Maomao, which requested by Gaoshun, procures her to pufferfish poison, in a case that he was in charge of under 10 years ago. The temptation to poison is quite literally there since its pufferfish, but that the alibi from gourmet bureaucrats who loved rare delicacies, it could not prove their innocence in the act. Maomao gets hooked and requests Gaosun to pry more information into it...but that Jinshi cut her half-speech to give her quite the scare. Everything seems normal, except the ingredients, which a similar case comes up which happened the week before, this time with seasonal vegetables...and seaweed. Maomao is supervised under Basen to check out the kitchen, which its master was about to bar them from doing their investigation, which thanks to Basen, Maomao was able to continue and secretly scourage seaweed for their own inspection.

Seaweed, like many other sea creatures, can be eaten edible if cooked correctly, which Maomao instinctively ate it, only for Jinshi to command her to vomit out the unproven poison. This then, brings the perspective back to the person, of which the eldest son is not treated well, which explains his heated temprament. Aside from Maomao's pleasant face while sent Jinshi into a romantic daze, he has someone whom he does not gel with, which would be the strategist Lakan himself, who has vested his interest in Maomao as well with a request.

Maomao's hunches are always correct, and this time, Lakan will be her duel.
Jan 24, 5:47 AM
Sep 2023
i just love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 24, 7:55 AM

Jan 2017
Well that was kinda predictable but looking forward to the next episode
Jan 24, 5:16 PM
Nov 2019
Not sure if I should spoiler this but based off previous comments I'm going to just in case.
Jan 25, 9:41 AM

Mar 2020
Looks like we got a new antagonist, looks promising
Jan 25, 7:12 PM
May 2021
**SLIGHT SPOILER/THEORY***

can't wait to see if we will finally see what her mother was like since she clearly never saw her and is probably her connection to the brothel. I really wonder how she came about and how old jin is cause im also from my bad math that they are the same age if we are assuming he is the brother/baby cause he really does look like the concubine that left
Jan 26, 6:56 AM

Nov 2019
It's heading toward the depressing part of the story. I should prepare myself.
Jan 26, 10:50 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The Story could be around the Maomao mother!!!
kekeke
Jan 26, 3:48 PM
Dec 2020
jesus christ that man is DISGUSTING

but also could the courtesan he was talking about be maomao's mom? she looked a lot like her, but i could be wrong. maybe her father was the other guy trying to buy her out while he was still the rear palace doctor and he had money?
Jan 26, 6:14 PM
Jul 2020
BUENOOO Y MAGNÍFICO
Jan 27, 5:53 PM

Dec 2018
very well written episode; glad the bros worked it out.
Jan 27, 11:50 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Daym never know eel actually a poisonous, till you bleed it out or just cooked it well. But i feel like this pufferfish case having an intended lowered difficulty to be solved since the culprit literally giving himself to be suspected by that anxiety entry. All in all, Mao and her poison attractiveness becomes the most spotlight for the first half.

Write about the second half, finally that Lakan old dude making an entrance. He sure love doing all the puzzle talk, huh? Just say it to the point already, you demand Maomao to your side, and that's it close the case. Even if its mean Jinshi obviously won't be agree and ended up having a great duel within them, at least its gotta be solve much faster than the raw fish this time, right?

Furthermore, more case ahead, and its related to the real puzzle now. Hopefully its not that dull, like this episode....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 29, 10:17 PM

Mar 2014
Oh the dread that slowly sinks in as you start connecting the dots at the end... that man's words are definitely poison as well.
Jan 29, 10:29 PM

Jul 2023
First part is routine. 猫猫 will play detective then the mystery hinted by the previous episode turns out to be bust.

But the next one might be on to something. The creepy military officer revealed himself. He likes a certain courtesan. And with the juxtiposed images, it looks like he is referring to Maōmaō's mother.
Feb 3, 5:34 PM

Jun 2014
We finally get back to the realm of poison, which is an important part of this show. I think that things are finally going to get interesting again.

The man with the monocle is a strange one. It's difficult to say if he is trustworthy or not. We'll likely find out soon enough.

Feb 4, 4:24 PM

Jan 2022
I feel like Lakan might've r*ped Maomao's mom since he wanted to lower her value. The way he described the lady sounded exactly like Maomao reacts. Or maybe in part, he's the reason why Maomao's mom is dead. I do feel like he has some family ties to Maomao. I find it silly that Maomao was able to figure out that the limewater or whatever was the cause of death. How tf do you come to that conclusion?
This never updates so that's cool
Feb 5, 4:28 AM

Sep 2014
They should rename this from apothecary diaries into detective Xiaomao.
Goes out to clean, gets sidetracked gathering herbs, randomly solves a case.

Thinking about it, the quack doctor from the rear palace must be pretty troubled now that he actually has to do his job again lol
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Feb 5, 7:23 AM

Oct 2017
The case was simple but interesting but more importantly the woman Lakan is talking about is Maomao's mother right? Her demeanor and hair color suggests so atleast. Lakan and Jinshi might get along better than he thinks cause they have similar taste in woman. Btw that surprised look from Maomao was hilarious. Jinshi bashing his head against the wall too, Maomao unintentionally gave him a blissful greeting.
Feb 7, 6:07 AM
Oct 2021
new mystery on door step .......
Feb 8, 1:39 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Dang. The fire served to Jinshi by Maomao at the beginning though. Ouch. XD

I've been meaning to say, I just really like this anime. There's something about it that just resonates me quite a bit. I have a really good time with it!

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Feb 8, 4:52 PM

Aug 2022
"Most people listen intently if it's an interesting conversation."

"Wait a minute, you always cut me off—"

"Alright, I will take my leave."
I love her more and more, lol 🤣 But...why do I have this hunch that
...?
Feb 13, 9:12 AM

Jan 2021
Jinshi died with that simple line

Feb 23, 9:04 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to Aris97
I hate when people discuss the LN here and spoil things. We don't want to know how new introduced characters who get depicted as evil will turn out to be good guys.
@Aris97 Oh yeah it's freaking amazing. Thanks to LN readers i already knew Jinshi's background when barely at ep 2 and well, Lakan and her mom+stuff from friching end of volume 5 and volume 10+, its great if you just start watching and every mystery is already gone~~

I didn't know that episode 3 was foreshadowing though till now. The anime makes stuff a lot more obvious tho, in the manga you can't see haircolor etc. Anime is kinda like ''well this is it''
removed-userFeb 24, 9:27 AM
Feb 23, 10:53 PM

Oct 2019
The Lakan guy finally intervened; a sneaky move to try approaching Maomao by tormenting Jinshi.
Was Maomao the courtesan he was referring? Yeah, it was almost certainly her..
Feb 27, 2:35 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Poisoned with seaweeds hm, and of course Maomao wanted to try it, fortunately they made her throw up xD
Feb 29, 2:02 AM
May 2019
It was refreshing to see female mc so strong
Mar 1, 5:00 PM

Mar 2018
Maomao's prof. Moriarty just arrived??
Mar 2, 11:58 PM

Oct 2013
One mystery solved (a seaweed intrigue, eh?), another one has emerged. Lakan, a talented strategist and someone seen as a weirdo... He is up to something, I thing. Unless he's just acting weird, but naah, I don't think so. I feel he might be the one who made the sick courtesan's state that bad that even Maomao couldn't help. I mean that courtesan appearing briefly several episodes ago.
Mar 15, 11:09 AM
Jul 2022
Finally time for this character's introduction aaaaaa
Mar 21, 2:16 PM
May 2020
Lakan me cae bien, y me encano cuando Jinshi forzo el vomito a MaoMao
Mar 27, 2:13 AM
Jun 2020
Jinshi trying to force himself into the mystery of the episode was pretty funny lmao. Lakan finally becomes a part of the plot and talks to Jinshi about his experience with a courtesan. Green hair, cold stare, that was definitely Maomao’s mom right?
Apr 9, 9:12 AM

Jul 2013
Is that what they're gonna make Maomao do from now on? Solve varying mysterious cases? I feel like we're slowly deviating from her being an apothecary.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Nov 11, 2023

168 by phantom346 »»
Sep 15, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 24

118 by marta_valse »»
Sep 9, 3:43 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 17

254 by marta_valse »»
Sep 9, 3:22 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 10

136 by marta_valse »»
Sep 9, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 3

110 by marta_valse »»
Sep 9, 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.