Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 16, 2019 9:05 PM

Sep 2017
Now that was an incredible episode. Wow. Those flashbacks were so visceral. Whoever decided to make the image and audio all fuzzy during them needs a raise. Not only did it set the mood perfectly, but it made the punch scene hit that much harder when the filter was dropped. Really incredible stuff, and it's not like the second half of the episode was weak either. There were some good laughs and nice heartwarming stuff when the team came together for Kakeru.

Edit: Just realized that the fuzziness could also represent Kakeru's emotions building up and hence when he releases it all with the punch it goes away. Even more brilliant.
ProofByColorJan 16, 2019 9:09 PM
Jan 17, 2019 2:58 AM

Jan 2011
Those flashbacks were nicely done.
Jan 17, 2019 4:22 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Powerful episode, this! Blending in the flashbacks and the dialogues of the past with the current timeline made things a lot more innate and overall very intriguing to watch, truly!

Kakeru’s past with the despicable coach there was more extreme than I had anticipated and the gravity of the whole event was alike. Even then, I feel as though some of Sakaki’s anger and hatred towards Kakeru is somewhat unreasonable and excess. At least Haiji and the others stopped him in time though, surely Kakeru would’ve deeply regretted this too had it gone down the wrong path. Haiji, then, keeping an eye on Kakeru from thence on was very captain-ish from him, along with that little conversation under the moonlight, and that was nice to see! Kakeru finally put it into words for the others to catch on and then just accepting and supporting him was pretty steoreotypical but there’s nothing wrong with that honestly. Few shots during the climax of that was brilliant to have, props to Production I.G. I never realised all this time that the old man who was cooking food for them was actually Hana’s father, I had to replay that scene a few times the shock was real xD. Anyway, Kakeru’s decalaration that he wants run the Hajime Ekiden in the end there just goes to show his growth throughout the course of the show, and honestly it feels pretty standard for me but that’s just me and I alone but it was good to see nonetheless.

Looks like we’ll be seeing more of Prince next episode.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 17, 2019 7:22 AM
Jan 2016
Great eps, team bonding!!! Yeah, it's not good to use violence, but I think Kakeru's coach deserved it, yeah, totally deserved it. And yeah Hana-chan is like a vitamin for them haha...
Jan 17, 2019 8:40 AM
Aug 2016
5/5 BUT.....I know coaches at high levels are strict, especially in prestigious teams, but anyone who knows about athletics or any sports knows that it is detrimental to push one's body when the body refuses to function i.e. when the athlete is seriously injured like getting their legs fractured or broken. So while I get this coach was preaching the 'survival of the fittest' theory, asking a runner to run when their legs is literally broken/fractured was a bit too comical. Not even the most assholish coaches make players run when something as important as their legs are literally broken. They would simply not give a shit and move on with finding someone to replace that guy. So I found that part a bit unrealistic.

But from a character study/development, atmosphere, direction and ost perspective this episode was top notch and heartwarming.
Jan 17, 2019 8:44 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Finally, Kakeru understand all and his is now, yes now, a member of the team! ;)
Jan 18, 2019 7:10 AM

Feb 2016
Amazing episode, so motivational and really developed Kakeru as a Character. The animation was outstanding and so was the OST. If this continue this way, I may give this anime an 8/10
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jan 18, 2019 9:26 AM

Jul 2014
That punch to the nose was well deserved
Jan 18, 2019 10:35 AM
Jun 2016
This was, without a doubt, the best episode of the series so far.

Finally, we get an answer to the question 'Why is Kakeru such an insufferable d***k?' as well as why Sakaki always seemed to have it in for him. Man, that coach was harsh.

Haji is a nice boy. Though he is still a demon to me (hehehe).

10/10 for this episode. Looking forward to next week.
"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love, so if one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
Jan 19, 2019 4:44 AM

Sep 2018
Episode that surprised me with regard to the quarrel between Kakeru and his former friend of the team, I imagined a more trivial excuse, but the motivation was much more serious, but the errors are on both sides and not only by Kakeru . The context in which Kakeru reveals his past to his friends is very theatrical, but the narrative in those moments is also very intense.
Jan 20, 2019 12:34 PM
Oct 2016
Can someone tell me where i can watch the live action of the anime?
Jan 21, 2019 9:41 AM

Apr 2012
Can anyone explain to me the "scene under the stars", lol? Did Haiji try to ship Kakeru and Hanna together?
RobertBobertJan 21, 2019 9:52 AM
Jan 24, 2019 3:30 PM

Mar 2016
After first 10 min i thought this gonna be weakest episode so far but then the hit came in and after that a lot of feels. good clutch
Feb 15, 2019 12:15 AM

May 2015
The way the flashback was presented was really something else. I felt immersed into Kakeku's mind.
Apr 11, 2019 3:52 PM

Nov 2017
What a beautiful and well written episode. Kakeru is awesome!

I was just imagining hiw I would beat his ass when he actually did it

plz @ me
Apr 14, 2019 2:46 AM
Aug 2018
That was it? He punches the coach and quits the team. Coach punishes all the remaining teammates by suspending them from meetings so they won't leak what?
That a promising student got fed up, punshed his coach and left?

Doesn't sound like that much of a deal. What could happen?
People ask the athletes why person x isn't there. What would they answer? Either "He quit for personal reasons." or "No comment on other members that are not present.". Done.

If this was about that "prestige" the coach was talking about, what is more suspicious for outsiders, one promising guy missing or an entire team missing?

For my taste, the drama is artificially blown out of proportion. How to turn a gnat into an elephant, huh?
Apr 20, 2019 12:30 AM

May 2017
beautiful ending! Kakeru finally opened up and told everyone about his inner fears. Definitely a turning point for the story! Everyone is fully committed now, lets go for Hakone! The ost that played during the final moments was so gooooood.
May 11, 2019 3:22 AM

Feb 2013
That coach deserved more than a punch, what a scumbag.
May 23, 2019 5:20 PM

May 2013
Half his teammates stopped Kakeru-- even better :') love that <3
Good lookin' out, fam ^.^

I was just thinking it'd be a gr8 time for them to release Kakeru's past haha.
The pacing is awesome so far!

I love this anime so so much TTuTT
May 24, 2019 6:10 AM

Dec 2013
I really like this episode! I like the pacing and how the story about Kakeru's past was told. I hope he will be able to control his emotions gradually and now I understand Kakeru and Sakaki's part. But in my opinion, that coach bastard deserved to get punched. Kakeru has a reason but yeah, using violence didn't lead him to any good.

I like Yuki's scenes in this episode! And Hana chan is so cute

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Jun 19, 2019 8:54 AM

Nov 2016
Kakeru has come so far I love him and I'm so proud of him :') the overall character development has been wonderful I'm glad I finally got around to watching this
"Before I slit your throat, I'll give you a kiss," Nezumi said softly. "You'll find out exactly how much better I am at giving farewell kisses."
Jul 11, 2019 8:55 AM

Jul 2015
Aaaaa that was such a great episode! We could finally see the full strenght of Kakeru's backstory and how that awful coach led to the current situation they are in.

The background noise during all the scenes from the past really built up to the tension, it was such a great work from the studio.

The conclusion with the talk with everyone about his problems was so emotional, this is a new page for Kakeru and another start for the dream this team has, I'm rooting so hard for them.
Aug 28, 2019 9:03 AM
Apr 2016
It's finally been unveiled, what happened with Kurahara and the red hair guy. Kurahara is very nice, unfortunately his impulsive decision didn't have nice results.

Hana and Kurahara were so cute at the end, I really ship them now.
Sep 6, 2019 5:21 PM

Sep 2018
I hate that coach!!! That's why Kakeru is so strict because he get it from him! Grrrr

I don't understand why Haiji ask if he have a gf hahah
Sep 28, 2019 1:57 AM

Mar 2015
Great episode! Love the sense of camaraderie they've created in this show
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 19, 2020 10:25 AM
Jul 2018
It's impossible to pick my favorite episode with this show.
Haiji is the king of roasts. Damn.
Feb 19, 2020 10:41 PM
Jul 2014
glad we finally got to know the backstory of kakeru and why he was so against running. fuck that coach bleh such an asshole. i'm glad he got punched >:( it's what he deserved. although it had an unfortunate outcome, that coach was the WORST.
Jul 25, 2020 8:01 AM

Dec 2013
Finally some closure to Kakeru's troubled past. Despite those problems, the team is finally ready to take on the challenge of running at Hakone. The combination of the art, colors and the soundtrack was amazing in those last few shots!

Also this:
MrMushin said:
Loved this scene.

Aug 5, 2020 12:39 PM

Oct 2017
I've seen both the sub and dub of the coach getting punched, and overall DUB SMASHES IT! - That felt skin crawling, like oh shitttt its about to go down! When he yelled.

When I watched the sub, I was like oh no he punched him, and yelled for like 2 seconds, the level of anger in their voices was so far more pronounced in the dub! This is a win for the dubbers brahhh!

Not to mention everytime I watched it subbed their voices just sounded so weak, now they have some real depth to them, they don't sound like a bunch a girls lmao that was terrible, they sounded pathetic yet they're runners? I mean I hate the overdone breathing in the dub, honestly the japanese had way less pronounced breath,
But at the same time, their overall voices were weaker compared to the dubs. Like the dramatic scenes, really pay off in that respect.
Mar 27, 2021 8:21 PM

Jun 2020
That was so heartwarming when they sat around & listened to Kakeru. They are such a wholesome & empathetic bunch & they say it as it is, with Ōji saying that violence is never the answer. Kakeru’s mindset has changed too, I’m sure he knows now that he has found his people♡

Haiji best boiiiiiiiiiii ♡_______♡

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jun 1, 2021 6:11 AM

Aug 2018
The coach totally deserved it though

Jul 13, 2021 1:08 PM
Jul 2016
This episode was amazing, so many heavy emotions! The way they did the flashbacks was incredible and the way the grain effect becomes more and more intense, gave me shivers. You could feel Kakeru’s feelings through the screen.

Im honestly so amazed by how well written these characters are, I never really expected that the reason why Kiseki hates Kakeru so much was because he basically ruined his high school career. Makes the whole more realistic and understandable.

Im so happy Kakeru got a team that actually supports him and understands him.
Mar 11, 2023 8:19 AM

Jan 2013
Strong episode, finally Kakeru's able to talk about his past to his friends.
What a great bunch of guys just supporting each other no matter what :D

Also fck that coach, this is exactly what Haiji's been trying NOT to do, focusing on leaving others behind that can't run as well or don't have the numbers.
Jun 25, 2023 6:30 PM
Apr 2021
I've cried like a baby
Dec 17, 2023 6:43 AM
Jul 2017
get the backstory, the bonding between the team was rushed and i wished they made it more intimate and tugged at heartstrings
May 25, 6:20 AM
Mind Evaporator

Feb 2017
OMG this ep was so good

that PUNCH was SO satisfying!!! i’m totally on Kakeru’s side. fk the school and that coach

i didn’t think it was gonna play out like that. i assumed he punched the red haired kid or another student. love that he actually punched the douchebag coach instead
May 25, 6:21 AM
Mind Evaporator

Feb 2017
@i-loathe-sasuke bruh your comments on every episode are terrible

you are welcome to leave (respectfully) xo
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2018

68 by Beguni »»
Sep 5, 9:27 AM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2019

54 by ngoclong19 »»
Aug 19, 1:51 PM

» Elite Runners

JSeanaY - Jul 16

5 by RGreatDanton »»
Jul 26, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2019

210 by a0i-kun »»
May 27, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 22, 2019

94 by a0i-kun »»
May 25, 9:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.