Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Welcome to the Ballroom
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2017 12:48 PM

May 2010
The bodies are hideous. Makes the dancing hard to watch.
Jul 7, 2017 12:57 PM
Aug 2011
Awwwww yeahhhhhh! Finally got to watch this. It's so nice to see these characters in motion. ;~;
So glad it's a 2-cour as well, hope it holds up in visual quality as it goes on.
Damn i'm already anxiously waiting for the rest of the characters.

And yeah the oops I stayed up all night dancing and hadn't noticed is overtly silly and non-sensical but it's pretty much the only instance where something like this happens. The mangaka should have really thought out that scene differently but it doesn't matter in the long run.
Jul 7, 2017 1:07 PM

Jan 2016
YES FANTASTIC! This is gonna be such a good anime, meet my expectations perfectly. I'm caught up to the manga so I'll tell y'all this is gonna be great!
Jul 7, 2017 1:30 PM

May 2016
DAMN Production I.G! BACK AT IT AGAIN WITH THE RAD SPORTS ANIME XD!
HyperLJul 7, 2017 1:35 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jul 7, 2017 1:45 PM

Jun 2016
I love love love this show. I think it may have even blew Apocrypha's debut out of the water for me.

Jul 7, 2017 1:56 PM

Jun 2014
Watching this episode is a torture. Never struggled so hard to stay awake in my life.
Jul 7, 2017 1:59 PM

Dec 2016
I can tell this is going to be a very solid and classic sports anime. It was a nice first episode. This is probably one of the few new anime this season where I'm confident it's actually going to be consistently solid, while everything else feels like a gamble lol.

Anime was the catalyst of my life's downward spiral.
Joining MAL was the nail in my coffin.

Every day I keep screaming into the void,
but god just tells me to shut up.
Jul 7, 2017 2:30 PM

Jul 2015
Episode 1 was alright, the characters look pretty bad tho IMO, they remind me to Haikyuu from the same studio.

The fact that the guy trained that until the morning without stopping and killing his feet isn't a good sign for me, I know it's a shounen but I hate when they exaggerate it to that point to show that the guy has dedication.
Jul 7, 2017 2:43 PM

Dec 2014
Animation was great, but the MC is a little grating to watch due to how similar he is to a bunch of other passive, I-dunno-what-do leads. Hell, his responses to "not Takamura" seemed canned and predictable. Also, staying up all night to practice the box? I get it's fiction and all, but an anime like this gave me the impression that it would be grounded, especially since it doesn't seem like MC has exerted himself physically before.

Despite all this, what I am most interested about is how his friendship with blue-haired girl will develop and seeing some more interesting animation cuts, and I somehow like it enough to want to keep watching.
spicychileJul 7, 2017 2:48 PM
I need sleep.
Jul 7, 2017 2:50 PM
Jul 2018
What a thrilling start! almost like H.I.! The animation was stunning! Now I feel like joining Ballroom :D ,but its too late... (dat MC was lucky to do that on Highschool).

Good to know that it will be 24 episode.
Jul 7, 2017 3:05 PM

May 2015
Really loved this first episode. Looks promising so far, I think I'll really enjoy this one. Good thing it's going to be 2-cour.

Also, Shizuku is pretty as hell <3.

Jul 7, 2017 3:25 PM

Jul 2011
Very interesting start, and I hope this same feeling goes for the rest episodes.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Jul 7, 2017 3:32 PM

Jul 2008
I really liked the idea and execution of this show but when the art style shift during the dance scenes their elongated limbs (special note to the necks) get kinda creepy. Such a departure from the Haikyuu-esque style. Still, looked good though, guess I need to let it simmer in a bit.

And seriously, we are supposed to believe that an average middle school guy danced through the entire night...
I mean, Sengoku apparently went to bed knowing the strange kid that agrevated him is still tapping away or at the very least didn't sent him away past a certain moment... It's just past the point of ''sure, could happen'' straight into idiotic really.

Still, very entertaining. Hooked! Goes on to round 2.
PunkbeetleJul 7, 2017 3:36 PM
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Jul 7, 2017 3:58 PM

Aug 2013
This was a LOT better than I had expected. The character designs are very appealing to me, and so far I like all their personalities. I got hyped when MC stayed up all night practicing that Box step thing. He reminds me strongly of Eiichan from Baby Steps. One thing I really liked was how he manages to figure out how to do the movement by watching that guy and using a pendulum analogy.

Looking forward to this, and glad to see it has 24 eps.
ittou_shuraJul 7, 2017 4:01 PM
Jul 7, 2017 4:03 PM

Nov 2011
Well this was quite something.

I liked the creativity they poured into the OP song in particular during the walking scenes between the dancing partners. Thought that was kinda neat. The only thing that bothered me slightly was the length of the characters' necks.

Tatara has plenty of time for development although my initial impression of him in this first episode is so-so. He definitely feels determined to learn though. I also kinda like how the first episode goes into dance fundamentals already.

Kiyoharu is awesome, loved the way he debuted against those bullies.
Shizuku also gives off her cool vibe with her personality.

Solid first episode.
Jul 7, 2017 4:24 PM

May 2014
This was absolutely stunning and I have the hugest grin on my face right now.
Easily the best premiere I've seen so far for the Summer season- had me hooked from start to finish.

Everything was on point- the characters, animation, art and music.
Fujita is the cutest little cinnamon roll, and Sengoku is just great- he kinda reminds me of Takamura from Hajime no Ippo...with the whole I'm-awesome-and-I-know-it-Oresama thing going on.

I.G really do deliver, especially when it comes to sports anime- Haikyuu, Kuroko no Basuke & Diamond no Ace all have great visuals and this looks like it could be even better.

What makes this even better is that it's getting 24 eps!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2017 4:25 PM
Jul 2018
Just got the episode done and HOLY SHIT MAN, that was fucking awesome.

Really loved the animation and the movements, although story is pretty good so far or promising, although I can agree with some people that training all night like that is kind... weird. But it's not bad. Just weird.

Other than that, I won't promise to keep up with this weekly (because of burnouts), but this is probably a contender for AOTY for me as well.
Jul 7, 2017 4:26 PM

Jun 2017
As an actual real life dancer who knows how to ballroom dance this was one of the most hardest things to watch.

The animation is pretty smooth but the way they just move is so funky.Like what is up with the necks it just made cringe!!

Also how did his shoes already break? Must be really cheap shoes if they already broke or he's doing the movements too hard.
Jul 7, 2017 4:29 PM

Jun 2017
I wasn't originally planning to watch this, but in the end I gave it a shot. The animation is a little odd, and I don't think the OP really suits the show that well, but I think overall it was worth the watch. I'll see how it goes from here.
Jul 7, 2017 4:55 PM

Sep 2015
When i saw the Sengoku in the video , he gave off an All Might vibe from Boku no Hero Academia
Jul 7, 2017 4:56 PM

Dec 2016
I'm loving these Haikyu vibes! Definitely watching this series to the end.
Jul 7, 2017 5:10 PM

Oct 2015
I have read the manga some time ago and I fell in love with this. I'm so happy they made an anime! The first episode was fine, I liked how they portrayed the characters and the animation is well done, but I'm still in love with the manga more than the anime.
Jul 7, 2017 5:31 PM

Jul 2017
Fun, visually nice and entertaining, I liked it
Jul 7, 2017 5:38 PM

Feb 2017
This is the first anime of this season that really has me all pumped up. At first, body animation seems a little bit weird, all extremely long necks and the girl's backs bent at a really awkward angle, but after a couple of minutes you get used to it and the rest of the animation flows rather well. (Btw, the animation kind of reminds me of Haikyuu!!, I think it's the same studio, right?)

Idk, I wouldn't have guessed that a sports anime about competitive dancing would have made me so excited about it, but this one did it. It seems quite interesting and I'll be looking forward to next episode. Eagerly.
Jul 7, 2017 5:41 PM

Jun 2013
Damn this was a fantastic first episode!
Jul 7, 2017 6:08 PM

May 2015
Benio_ said:
Watching this episode is a torture. Never struggled so hard to stay awake in my life.

Why do you even still watch anime?

Jul 7, 2017 6:26 PM

Mar 2016
Those necks are kind of gross looking but I guess it is done to emphasize all the bending and twisting shit while they are dancing.
Jul 7, 2017 6:51 PM

Jul 2014
Are you watching an anime where the main character did the box all night? What are you, stupid?

Seriously, it's tough to watch a show about people when those people don't act like humans. Also, they don't look like humans, WTF character design, and worse, it's exceptionally inconsistent with characters morphing different length necks and legs every scene. Yuri on Ice this ain't.
Jul 7, 2017 7:06 PM

Jan 2011
was looking forward to this it was good,i know it's I.G but damn does this look to much like Haikyuu but with twice as terrify long necks D: granted it's for a stylistic approach to show how slender and elegant they are while dancing but it still comes off funny looking even in yuri on ice they body morphed everyone while they danced.

giving them a pass on the whole training all night thing despite it being kinda silly lol.

totally looks like a watchable show so i'm in

Jul 7, 2017 8:07 PM
Jun 2016
great episode for sure hehe :> I don't know much about balroom dancing, but my sister was in a sports dancing growing up, highland.
Jul 7, 2017 8:16 PM

Jun 2015
This was an amazing first episode for this show. I don't know anything about ballroom dancing or dancing in general, except for some dancing I did in high school, but I really liked it. Tatara's determination is impressive. He really wants to be a pro dancer. Kiyoharu is very cool. His debut against the bullies was awesome. Shizuku has a nice personality. Those long necks though. Looking forward to see more.
Jul 7, 2017 8:36 PM

May 2015
stand said:
Awwwww yeahhhhhh! Finally got to watch this. It's so nice to see these characters in motion. ;~;
So glad it's a 2-cour as well, hope it holds up in visual quality as it goes on.
Damn i'm already anxiously waiting for the rest of the characters.

And yeah the oops I stayed up all night dancing and hadn't noticed is overtly silly and non-sensical but it's pretty much the only instance where something like this happens. The mangaka should have really thought out that scene differently but it doesn't matter in the long run.

How is it non-sensical? Losing track of time is a thing. I really don't get why people are complaining about this.

Jul 7, 2017 8:41 PM
Aug 2011
Kittens-kun said:
How is it non-sensical? Losing track of time is a thing. I really don't get why people are complaining about this.

Look this manga is one of my favs, but even I will admit that losing track of your entire night dancing up until the next morning is stretch.
Jul 7, 2017 8:44 PM

May 2015
stand said:
Kittens-kun said:

Look this manga is one of my favs, but even I will admit that losing track of your entire night dancing up until the next morning is stretch.

How? People get lost in shit all the time. I can't tell you how many times I've stayed up all night doing something without even realizing I did so. You get consumed by something, then suddenly it's 6:00 in the morning. Shit happens man.

Jul 7, 2017 8:52 PM
Aug 2011
Kittens-kun said:
How? People get lost in shit all the time. I can't tell you how many times I've stayed up all night doing something without even realizing I did so. You get consumed by something, then suddenly it's 6:00 in the morning. Shit happens man.

It would have been more plausible for an anime middle school boy like Tatara to have gone home at one point or at least practiced quietly in his room/house idk, because his father does look out for him and he's not one of those 'I live by myself!' characters. I would've imagined that at the very least he would've been somewhat concerned about where his son was the entire night.

Whatever... it's not worth being this analytical about one passing moment on how the mangaka chose (or didn't choose) to show the audience that this kid actually really likes dancing.
standJul 7, 2017 9:20 PM
Jul 7, 2017 8:54 PM

Oct 2012
This looks so Haikyuu I won't be surprised if Tatara bumps into Hinata on the street.
Good episode/op/ed though. Looking forward to the competitions, especially Sengoku's dance.
Jul 7, 2017 9:04 PM

Apr 2016
I read the first volume of the manga. I had a very beautiful impression of the ballroom dancing portrayed in the pages. But...I wasn't very captivated by this first episode. The ballroom dancing looked very sharp; I was looking forward to more elegance and flow. There were parts excluded, like when
. If I hadn't read the manga, I wouldn't know why it mattered that Fujita broke the shoes from practicing all night, and Shizuku laughing would have made more sense. :/ I'm also not fond of the way Fujita started ballroom dancing. - It's fine to be fascinated by Sengoku's competitive dancing, but I wish he struggled more since he is a newbie...and I'm not very fond of the way Shizuku was introduced to the story. I prefer the ending theme song over the opening theme song, although it was cool to see the pro dancers dressed up in their reflections in the store mirrors in the OP. I look forward to seeing Hyoudou next episode.
Jul 7, 2017 9:09 PM

Aug 2014
Definitely joined for sukebe reasons. Seeing Shizuku in a ponytail though, I don't blame him.
Sieg Zeon!
Jul 7, 2017 9:20 PM

Sep 2011
The setup was extremely questionable, but compared to the rest of this season's lineup this series might be a godsend.
Jul 7, 2017 10:04 PM

Feb 2015
I will definitely follow this show. This first episode was very good in my opinion and promises to be the best of this season and the animation is wonderful.
Jul 7, 2017 10:21 PM

Mar 2014
pretty solid i thought this would be a full homo packed anime but surprisingly theres a cute and erotic heroine
Jul 7, 2017 10:51 PM
Jul 2018
Better than i thought even though it's not really genre that i usually watch.
Jul 7, 2017 11:21 PM

May 2015
Not overly impressed, but it's a good start. Tatara's decision to join the dance studio felt a little too quick to me, but I'll let it slide to get the anime going. Animation looks good, but I'd like to see how it goes when the dances get faster. I wonder what dances they will cover. We got Waltz. Foxtrot? Tango? I better see some Tango in here!

Dat Sengoku tho. Now that's a real man!
TarotistNov 14, 2017 6:16 AM
Jul 7, 2017 11:31 PM

Oct 2013
Lol he just dived right in. Seems like he barely gave it any thought
Jul 7, 2017 11:33 PM

Oct 2011
Amazing first episode
Hinata with black hair and kyoko ahhhhh 😍
Jul 7, 2017 11:47 PM

Mar 2014
GG Production I.G. the same trick wont fool me

Jul 7, 2017 11:54 PM

Apr 2012
That was awesome! I enjoyed every minute of the episode :D

Shizuku is gorgeous xD
Jul 8, 2017 12:29 AM

Dec 2011
Finally it is here.Well this anime is just going to get better and better xD
Well beside the long neck sometimes, the animation is good and a good adaptation do far though the manga art is amazing.
I can't wait for Hyoudo appearance next episode.
Jul 8, 2017 1:00 AM

Dec 2014
This was boring tbh, maybe I am not a fan of these type pf show. The show was also slow paced. ;(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2017 1:14 AM
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Naruleach - Jul 2, 2017

126 by vanne_ »»
May 20, 4:31 AM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

173 by Copie »»
Apr 9, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

59 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 10:34 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

57 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 12:16 AM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 28, 2023 9:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.