Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 27, 2014 7:47 AM

Sep 2008
Mushishi gives us its own version of Cain and Abel. This time, Cain got his just desserts. He will not return to the mountain.. hehe.

Anyways, great episode with its theme of revenge and rage/wrath. Very dark and shocking. The moment he said that his brother fell off the cliff, I thought, wait a sec, nobody just falls off the cliff in stories lol.

Laionidas said:
Also, it seems somewhat unlike Ginko to turn his back on events (and the kid), knowing that the uncle killed the guy.

I don't think that is out of character at all. Throughout the series, we have never seen Ginko taking the law in his own hands and trying to bring to justice someone who does something wrong. Yes, he tries to save people when he possibly can, but him bringing someone to account for his crimes would be out of character for Ginko.
He is a Mushishi after all, not a lawman.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 29, 2014 11:17 AM

Apr 2013
Dang. That was a dark episode. I thought that the Uncle would show some kind of remorse in the end but I was wrong. I just hope the little kid is alright and doesn't continue to have the "scent of death" on him.
Dec 30, 2014 11:44 PM

Oct 2012
Can't contain the chills.
Jan 1, 2015 9:46 AM

Nov 2011
RRokuro said:
Solid episode. When it comes to the dark episodes of Mushishi though, I'd have to say episode 4 from last season is my favorite.

YES

I will never forget that fuckin ep.

Well it was more of creepy, as in scary. I got chills by the end. This ep on the other hand, was just plain nasty.

And it's that nasty shit that makes this shit even better.

Weeding out the fags from hags.
Jan 3, 2015 12:19 PM

May 2010
This is why I love Mushishi. Dark-themed episodes are never excluded from its brilliance.

I liked how Ginko played his role here and doesn't intend to go further even if murder was involved.
The last scene was perfect. He looks badass walking away. And the music was amazing. It really set the atmosphere.

Man, last episode to go. Tsk.
Jan 3, 2015 5:23 PM

Nov 2010
Oh my god... this episode really shocked me.
Went really brutal and dark-- I loved it though!
My legs feel itchy now.. but gosh, really did not expect this.
Would love to see more episodes like this one.
Jan 10, 2015 1:53 AM
Aug 2011
This episode was daunting and haunting and everything.
This one and the previous were extremely heavy for me.

That mushi looked so nasty clinging unto death and skin.
Not to mention the sound - THE SOUND- of the body as it hit the cliff as it went down.
My god, I wished someone had warned me of this.
Jan 12, 2015 6:36 PM

Aug 2014
I get why he killed his brother, but did he really need to have the urge to kill his nephew? And the boy took it so kindly. I feel sorry for him.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Jan 14, 2015 12:43 PM

Dec 2008
Served him right! But, damn! This episode makes me want to go take a shower in scalding hot water.

Sent with Mal Updater
Feb 15, 2015 1:37 AM

Sep 2013
I don't think the kid was wrong or that he killed his uncle. If he tried to help him he could kill the boy anyways, so it was dangerous.

I wonder what happened to him. I wish Ginko would make the boy a disciple for him hahaha.
Feb 15, 2015 8:23 PM

Oct 2013
Too much stupid drama.
Mar 8, 2015 4:37 AM

May 2014
An interesting episode, and a bit of a departure from the norm I feel. We've had dark episodes before, but generally none that show the level of malice or hatred that we saw here.

It felt a little weird to be honest, but it was enjoyable all the same.
Mar 28, 2015 2:06 AM

Aug 2012
The second he said his brother fell off a cliff, I knew he fuckin' killed him, lol. I even figured out why & boy, with the way this series has been growing this really worried me. Everything about the last ten or so minutes from when Ginko tells him the cure to Ginko's "You couldn't even return to the mountains" was perfectly executed. As was, the flashbacks revealing his death & pretty much most of this episode & series. This isn't one of my favorite episodes but it's another in the long list of great episodes Mushsihi has given us & it really depresses me, that there's only one more episode left.
Apr 11, 2015 5:52 AM

Jan 2013
That was a pretty dark episode, seems the father of the son somehow killed the uncle anyway, not directly but with the mushi he left.
Kinda surprised Ginko acted so cold at the end, on the other hand I get it though.
Apr 18, 2015 11:27 AM

Mar 2012
Karma's a bitch ain't it.

The father who asked for forgiveness was killed but ended up returning to the mountain. The brother who couldn't forgive the father ended up dying and not returning to the mountain due to his grudge and lack of guilt.
May 19, 2015 4:14 AM

Oct 2013
Such a dark episode.
May 31, 2015 2:40 AM

Apr 2015
I got bad university entrance exam result this morning so I decided to watch an episode of Mushishi to gain some peace of mind. Since you know mushishi is relaxing peaceful beautiful tranquil and all.

Man Mud Grass is brutal! I was disgusted. At the creepy, disturbing mushi (I got goosebumps). At the uncle's actions. Disgusting stuffs!

I fucking love it.
I'm a sucker for strong female characters.
Jun 8, 2015 11:11 AM

May 2011
I really wasn't ready for this plot twist..

Scary episode.. awesome, but creeppy o.O
Jun 14, 2015 9:22 AM
Nov 2014
Best episode from the mushishi series, dark and gritting.

THAT ending was powerful.
Jun 21, 2015 6:33 AM
Jul 2018
Lichtspiel said:
Wow, that episode was really depressing. I thought he boy would help his uncle, but he didn't. I kinda understand why he didn't rescue him, but he should've helped him anyway.

No he shouldn't of. Did you see the way he was approaching the boy? Even if he could have overlooked the fact that he killed his father he would have been putting his own life at jeopardy. I can see why he killed his brother but to expect his son to forgive and save him? Honestly...
Jun 21, 2015 6:47 AM
Jul 2018
koreye said:

Laionidas said:
Also, it seems somewhat unlike Ginko to turn his back on events (and the kid), knowing that the uncle killed the guy.

I don't think that is out of character at all. Throughout the series, we have never seen Ginko taking the law in his own hands and trying to bring to justice someone who does something wrong. Yes, he tries to save people when he possibly can, but him bringing someone to account for his crimes would be out of character for Ginko.

Being a Mushishi shouldn't prevent him from having a sense of concern for his fellow man. Leaving a kid alone with a possible murderer when you're the only one who knows about it is pretty fucked up.

I think he only helps people with mushi related problems out of a sense of duty and as a means of getting by. He can't stay in one area for too long after all so helping people out usually provides him with food and shelter if nothing else.

I'm not saying he's a bad guy. But I do think he's amoral and somewhat emotionless.
Jun 27, 2015 12:00 PM

Jul 2014
5/5
Jul 18, 2015 11:12 PM

Sep 2008
Cuckold said:
koreye said:

Being a Mushishi shouldn't prevent him from having a sense of concern for his fellow man. Leaving a kid alone with a possible murderer when you're the only one who knows about it is pretty fucked up.

I think he only helps people with mushi related problems out of a sense of duty and as a means of getting by. He can't stay in one area for too long after all so helping people out usually provides him with food and shelter if nothing else.

I'm not saying he's a bad guy. But I do think he's amoral and somewhat emotionless.

the last line I agree with. Yes he helps people with Mushi related problems. But no, he is not into law enforcement. Although, if the guy attempted to kill off the nephew in front of Ginko, he would definitely have intervened. It may be that Ginko did not expect the uncle to take the nephews life, especially when the uncle knew Ginko had it figured out, or that he is not the kind of person who makes pre-preemptive judgment calls. I would think that the uncle deserved a chance at redemption (which he had but mucked up by attempting to kill his nephew), and that it was a bit crazy of him to do what he did.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 21, 2015 6:15 PM

Jan 2012
Alright, this was a very disturbing episode, I was really grossed out. You're supposed to make me feel relaxed, you lied to me and tricked me. It's no laughing matter.
Oct 24, 2015 4:28 AM

Aug 2014
Creepy Episode but great
5/5
Mar 24, 2016 2:15 PM

Apr 2007
"You couldn't even return to the mountain" That was a good ending for this story. Though at the end I was just shaking my head at the one brother's actions. Damn.
Apr 16, 2016 9:18 PM

Jul 2007
Ginko's the type of guy to walk barefoot on broken shards of glass and not bat an eye.
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Apr 18, 2016 4:27 AM

Oct 2012
Well, that's karma for you.. I guess
They worked for both lil and big bro
"Signature removed"
Jun 18, 2016 2:27 AM

Feb 2016
It's so very entertaining to see how the author is able to blend the philosophy of mushi to the overall story of each episode. This time the topic that's been discussed was about rage and vengeance and the consequences if you don't restrain them.
Sep 6, 2016 5:04 AM

Mar 2012
Ray_Light said:
Well, that's karma for you.. I guess
They worked for both lil and big bro

To be fair, what happened with the little brother was way different since he accidentally ran over his niece and didn't tell his brother out of guilt unlike the big brother who deliberately killed his sibling and even attempted to kill his nephew because he knew the truth.
Oct 26, 2016 5:44 AM
Feb 2015
preety fucked up episode but enjoyed it nevertheless
Nov 17, 2016 1:09 PM

May 2010
I love Ginko's "omae-san" esp. when he's referring to children.
The grassy bodies were disturbing...

What a tragic episode. Someone killed someone by mistake, got murdered when told the truth and asked for forgiveness, and then the murderer got accidentally killed as well. Tragic episode. Now Sousuke will have to live with the guilt that he killed someone...
Dec 31, 2016 5:31 AM

Jul 2016
One of the best episodes.
Jan 12, 2017 8:57 AM

Apr 2016
when ginko say the "smell of dead body" now that giving me goosebumb
"Mountains, beings, and nature's laws are bound by an arrangement, and within it, we live." -Mushishi Zoku Shou Suzu No Shizuku
Aug 27, 2017 6:47 AM

Jul 2015
Holy shit, that was one of the darkest episodes from Mushishi, that revenge...

This will haunt the kid for the rest of his life.
Sep 6, 2018 10:11 AM
Apr 2018
He apologies to him and said that was an accident and he didn't notice his daughter he killed him!!! And tried to kill the son also??
the uncle is not a human he is a monster and deserve to die
Sep 22, 2018 4:14 PM

May 2013
He didn't get to return to the mountains. This episode was dark.

Dec 18, 2018 10:02 AM

Oct 2012
I love that this series is ending on such a dark note. Here's hoping the finale is just as dark and dramatic as these last three. Certainly a promising title.
Mar 25, 2019 4:34 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
of to the last ep we go

Jul 11, 2019 9:29 AM
Apr 2016
Probably my favorite episode this season, it was straight up amazing. I think it was wrong for him to kill the kid's father, rage or not, his daughter died on accident, and the man regret accidentally killing her, big time.
Aug 25, 2019 12:28 PM

Oct 2012
half-satisfying episode, i wanted to see the uncle's legs get cleaned from the grass before he become dead :)
Mar 17, 2020 7:15 PM

May 2013
Daaaaaaammmmmmmmmn. Welp. I guess everyone got what they deserved (except for Sousuke ofc) :( Tragic.

Gin's mic drop moment at the end when the uncle died lol. Clever. Guy didn't even deserve to be in the mountains with the rest of them bc his murder was on purpose.
Mar 30, 2020 4:20 PM

Jan 2014
This was DARK
That poor kid, hope he doesn’t end up too fucked up because of it…
I’ve always wanted follow up episodes to see how people are doing after ginko’s visited them
May 17, 2020 12:41 PM

Jan 2019
Shino from previous episode or this guy, I don't know which one I disliked more from this season. Glad the scumbag didn't even made it to the mountain.

I feel pretty bad for Sousuke, not only he lost his father but also almost got killed for his aunt, only for the latter to die before his eyes. I hope Sousuke at least put the medicine on his legs and hands after all this.
Jun 10, 2020 8:26 PM

Aug 2019
well i'll be damned, that was quite the twist. Episode really showed how Karma can hit harder then the Van that'll be isekaing the next protagonist for a harem anime.
But the dad taught the kid well when he still could, to never hate someone. I wish they highlighted a tiny bit more on that part, felt like it was the real shine to this episode
Jan 14, 2021 8:52 PM

Aug 2018
Honestly, he deserved to die because he killed his brother over an accident. A very unfortunate and sad story.

Jan 24, 2021 12:05 PM

Aug 2018
A pretty disturbing episode, the story in this one is one of the saddest in the series
Feb 14, 2021 8:14 AM

Mar 2018
Top episode for shock value in the series without a doubt, insanely good.
May 14, 2021 7:09 PM
Nov 2019
Wow, this was a truly dark episode. And I just can't get rid of the feeling that he was about to drown his nephew...
May 16, 2021 4:25 PM

Jan 2020
I guess Ginko has a slight intention to reveal what that uncle did although it is not confirmed yet, otherwise he wouldn't discuss it in a place that can be easily heard by someone...

One of the darkest episode of Mushishi

I'm glad dark episodes is what I got lately, well let's see if next episode going to be dark...
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2014

169 by Dragona_8002 »»
Apr 14, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2014

139 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 29, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2014

86 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 26, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2014

72 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 25, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2014

125 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 24, 2:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.