Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 1 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 »
Jul 9, 2013 12:53 PM
Nov 2009
symbv said:
I kept thinking DORAEMON when I watched this show...

LOL I was subconsciously singing the Doraemon theme song while that Monokuma was talking O_O
Jul 9, 2013 1:40 PM

Mar 2012
If you had played the game, you would have know they rush the hell of out the plot to get the battle royal setting.
They basically compress 3-4 hours of plot into 25 minuets. Tons of Character development and game contents got cut out for instant quick drama.

I recommend anyone who is interested from this episode to just watch the walk through on youtube before continuing watching the anime. Don't worry, there are no repetitive battles or grinding, this game is mostly just a mystery graphic novel.
Jul 9, 2013 2:17 PM
Feb 2012
leeo268 said:
If you had played the game, you would have know they rush the hell of out the plot to get the battle royal setting.
They basically compress 3-4 hours of plot into 25 minuets. Tons of Character development and game contents got cut out for instant quick drama.

I recommend anyone who is interested from this episode to just watch the walk through on youtube before continuing watching the anime. Don't worry, there are no repetitive battles or grinding, this game is mostly just a mystery graphic novel.

The hell are you even talking about.

1) the setting isn't even close to Battle Royale.

2) The prologue, which is what the first episode covered, is about 30 minutes long at the most.

3) If a single chapter takes you more than 4 hours, you really suck at the game.

4) A single chapter is comprised of maybe an hour and a half of actual plot at the most. Everything else is gameplay, optional scenes, etc.
Jul 9, 2013 2:20 PM

Sep 2011
leeo268 said:

what the fuck are you going off about?,

They covered about 35 minutes worth of stuff in about 25,

This isnt like battle royale

4 hours of the game is not 1/3th the 1st chapter, 4 hours is like 1/2 of the game

I'm questioning if YOU even played/read the game

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 9, 2013 4:01 PM

Mar 2010
Crimson_Cloud said:
Lylaaz said:
ps. if it comes out with something ''unique'' i'd gladly accept messages telling me so.

So basically, you would expect for people to explain you how awesome the show is and to persuade you to watch it? If you judge the series by one episode then you aren't even fit to watch this. Its not like fans are so desperate to get another viewer on this. Not gonna gain anything from it.

Lol i am not expecting anything, but you know there are some people who like to talk about the shows they like and they are not doing it to ''gain'' something. And you are not that kind of person i suppose.

And maybe if you paid attention i had not totally given up on it, i'll probably click through the next ep and still look for some ''original potential''
Jul 9, 2013 4:38 PM

Oct 2010
Lylaaz said:
And maybe if you paid attention i had not totally given up on it, i'll probably click through the next ep and still look for some ''original potential''

It's the impression I got that you're giving up, you haven't stated that you're gonna stick to it ether. My bad though. Everyone has a right to have a different opinion, no questions there. But having wrong info about something is a wrong opinion. It's a bit unfair to judge this show just because of the first episode. Stick to it till the end and then say it's crap, thats what I'm saying.
Jul 9, 2013 4:43 PM

Jan 2013
This seems interesting.
Lol comparing it to Battle Royale.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 9, 2013 5:00 PM

May 2009
That was bad. No hope for game animations now. Persona 4 + Devil Survivor. Now this. Maybe it's the artwork or their facial expressions. But I just can't get into it without being bored out of my mind. I will watch the next episode though, but I'm not too hopeful.
Jul 9, 2013 5:50 PM

May 2013
Hm, I am kinda confused with all these characters. It will take some time to remember them. Other than that, I really enjoyed it. Since I love survival settings, I might check out the game as well.
Jul 9, 2013 6:24 PM

Mar 2013
First of I didn't play the game and watched this because the synopsis sounded kinda interesting.
I thought it was an OK episode overall. The MC is pretty annoying and generic though, and the huge cast of characters does noting for me so far.

This has the potential to be a very good anime, unfortunatly I'm getting a Devil Survivor 2 vibe watching this. Will keep watching for now hopeing it gets better.
Jul 9, 2013 7:17 PM

Sep 2011
The art looks kinda weird... But nothing insufferable. The MC j very stereotypically generic, but he looks like some kind of devil or something.

Anyhow, kinda hoping the show would start killing off the characters, since we probably won't know them among the vast cast, monokuma is my favorite character so far.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jul 9, 2013 7:25 PM

May 2012
GodlyKyon said:
The art looks kinda weird... But nothing insufferable. The MC j very stereotypically generic, but he looks like some kind of devil or something.

Anyhow, kinda hoping the show would start killing off the characters, since we probably won't know them among the vast cast, monokuma is my favorite character so far.
The first death will definitely be in the next episode.
Jul 9, 2013 9:25 PM

Sep 2011
GodlyKyon said:

deaths will start next ep for sure, but if this stays true to the game you wont be forgetting any characters, even after death alot of them really stay memorable

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 9, 2013 9:33 PM

Nov 2012
that idol girl would be the first one to be dead for sure,
there are so many hints regarding her dead flag,

unless this show pulls a higurashit
Jul 9, 2013 11:04 PM

Aug 2012
I just learned a few minutes ago that Dangan Ronpa is having an adaptation. I was both surprised and excited so I immediately watched it.

They made a smart choice in what scenes to retain, remove and modify given that it is a visual novel under the mystery category; it is packed with details.

Obviously, it was rushed (on par with the speed of light) but the important bits are there so no complains about that. But all in all, it is an interesting episode. The cliched characters and the typical weak-looking MC is just the tip of the iceberg, drop it, and you will miss a lot.

Btw, Monokuma is just as adorable as ever lol.
julyanJul 9, 2013 11:10 PM
Jul 10, 2013 12:15 AM

Jan 2008
This show is okay so far i dont know if i am going to like this show very much but i wont know until more episodes but i didnt hate it nor did i love it so yeah
Jul 10, 2013 12:17 PM

Apr 2011
I love it overall, but I am slightly concerned about all the off-model. It's only been the first episode and there's so much QUALITY. :c
Jul 10, 2013 12:39 PM

Aug 2012
I love the characters so far!
The opening looks like something from sega
Jul 10, 2013 11:06 PM

May 2012
So many recognizable VAs.

I'll continuing watching it even thought I'm not the mood for survival game type of anime atm.
Jul 11, 2013 1:15 AM
Jun 2013
Ahh I love survival game type stories (Mirai Nikki, Battle Royale etc.)
The art looks really awesome and I really love the unique characters. I wonder if its gonna be one of those gory/bloody type of animes. :P

P.S I wonder if the MC and that one chick will be similar to Yuno and Yuki as in becoming a couple and teaming up against each other... oh well I'm just guessing I'll just have to wait and see for myself. :P
Jul 11, 2013 8:47 AM

Jul 2012
WaffleGod said:
Just a quick heads-up to everyone on the fence about the show; I'm putting this in a spoiler tag since someone, somewhere, might find this to be a spoiler. It's a general overview of the tone of the series.

Why is it so hard for other people to understand this? Why? THANK YOU. JUST. UGH HERE HAVE ALL MY LOVE
Jul 11, 2013 11:05 AM

Nov 2008
Well that was rushed more than expected.
Other than that, Sakura-chan was as kawaii as I remember her.
Jul 11, 2013 3:03 PM

May 2011
Well, this is gonna be good. Just gotta hope that the characters that I'll end up liking won't get killed off by the end though ugh.

WaffleGod said:
Just a quick heads-up to everyone on the fence about the show; I'm putting this in a spoiler tag since someone, somewhere, might find this to be a spoiler. It's a general overview of the tone of the series.

Interesting.
Jul 11, 2013 3:40 PM

Sep 2011
ZeroZx said:
Well, this is gonna be good. Just gotta hope that the characters that I'll end up liking won't get killed off by the end though ugh.
yah i said that too, then i ended up liking the entire cast aside from yamada

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 11, 2013 4:04 PM

May 2011
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
ZeroZx said:
yah i said that too, then i ended up liking the entire cast aside from yamada
Haha. Welp I think ima end up liking alot of chars as well :(.
Jul 11, 2013 5:04 PM
Mar 2009
That was quite the introduction. Lol. Like a big game of Mafia.

So many flags telling me Sayaka is dying first. Like damn, it's coming...

Monobear has quite the annoying laugh.
Jul 12, 2013 6:06 AM
Jan 2013
leeo268 said:
NO. It ISN'T.

Dangan Ronpa is pretty much all about game play, almost 90%. If you really say that it is like 'graphic novel', hell you are not even close to knowing what series is.
Jul 12, 2013 12:50 PM
Dec 2010
Can't say I'm 100% convinced on the show just yet, though the number of familiar voices is certainly impressive. I mean, we got Zollo/Hijikata, Orochimaru/Otae-san, Zura/Garra, Usopp, Winry, Mio. That line-up alone is probably enough to keep me interested.
Jul 12, 2013 2:06 PM
Jul 2013
Kitchiri said:
leeo268 said:
NO. It ISN'T.

Dangan Ronpa is pretty much all about game play, almost 90%. If you really say that it is like 'graphic novel', hell you are not even close to knowing what series is.

Actually, a lot of Dangan Ronpa's focus is on the story. The trial part of the games is probably the part with the most gameplay, and even that part of the game involves the storyline and solving mysteries. Outside of that, it really is like an interactive mystery graphic novel.

If you watch a playthrough of it on Youtube, the only thing you miss out on is playing through yourself and playing the minigames in the trials. The focus is definitely more on the story; I think saying it's 90% gameplay is a bit of a stretch.
Jul 12, 2013 2:50 PM

Jan 2011
Very interesting, the question is whether this will be about story or about raw action.
Hopefully the first thing will be the main point of this show.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jul 12, 2013 8:53 PM

Feb 2012
An anime where a teddy bear is holding students hostage and try to force them to kill each other?

Jul 13, 2013 12:49 AM

Sep 2012
My friends been bugging me to checkout this game because it's supposed to be a cross between ace attorney and persona (games which i love), and now i'm interested to check out the game for sure!
Jul 13, 2013 11:23 AM

Jun 2012
Well honestly, I find it more interesting than the average school or comedy series. you can tell it's really just like a game show, so I won't really expect anything like a story. Also, the characters, while they each have their own specialty which is great in variety, don't seem that great, but maybe because it was a game.
The music is also interesting, it seems a little different somehow, but I don't know.
So all this episode did was introduce the setting and characters (they really did just pour all the characters onto the us, haha), but at least by the end the tension is already seen to start building.
And for some reason, this reminded me of Gantz. And that bear is really weird and has a weird voice too.
So with all that said, I'm kind of excited for this series since it's a horror, game series, something different that doesn't come out too often.

Jul 14, 2013 2:56 AM

Jun 2012
Was kinda rushed but i really like the setting. The voice actors are great as well. I hope it doesnt let me down at the end.
Jul 14, 2013 2:26 PM

Jul 2013
Indeed, the first episode was rushed. The characters that live longer should get developed fully, though.
Jul 15, 2013 6:41 AM
Jun 2013
Not bad. Gives off a very Persona vibe especially when everyone was being introduced. I suppose that much was expected, though. Things are getting interesting.
Jul 15, 2013 8:46 AM

Aug 2007
For the first episode was OK. I'll continue watching this. Next episode, I want to see more action: about who of the students will be dead.
Jul 15, 2013 4:33 PM

Aug 2012
Very interesting premise. I will definitely stick around and look forward to what comes next.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jul 15, 2013 6:00 PM
May 2010
The plot is kinda dumb, and the rules about the president, is even more facepalm... The laughing part at the end.... omg...really?
It reminds me of Btoom and Mirari, but both are far better.
jimmy2027Jul 15, 2013 6:14 PM
Jul 15, 2013 7:39 PM

May 2013
Man...I'm pumped to watch this series...shit is about to go down.
Jul 16, 2013 5:29 AM

Dec 2012
Yakuhiro reminds me of Knuckle from Hunter x hunter
and Celestia reminds me of Kurumi from Date A Live

This is the best anime in this season for me while Blood Lad is 2nd.

Jul 16, 2013 10:43 PM

Jul 2013
Well, that "motive" heated up things :) and .. shit just got real.
Jul 17, 2013 12:32 AM

Nov 2012
Tons of familiar voices, gives off a Battle Royale/Persona vibe, and to top it all off, the psycho-in-charge is a teddy bear. I freaking love this.
Jul 17, 2013 3:42 PM
Jul 2013
Based on the summary of this series, it sounded kinda similar to other ones I really love, but nothing special of its own right. I watched the first episode just now, and I'm really excited about it. That bear is creepy as hell though. D:
Jul 20, 2013 9:49 AM

Oct 2012
Mhmm, it wasn't bad as I first thought when I saw trailers and posters :) It actually has some dense atmosphere and the fact that they are poised to killed each other is alluring. I wonder who will die first.
And those cameras around - it really is like mix of reality show with battle royale - perfectly my cup of tea.

But something is fishy - if one kills another two persons would leave the game. Hmmm. I guess there would be some twist to it.

Only bad thing is that there was too many characters to remember in 20 minutes but I guess this will get better and better with coming eps.

Almost makes me wanna play the game but I don't have a Playstation.
Jul 22, 2013 1:06 PM
Dec 2011
meh for sure dropping this series so generic and lame
Aug 2, 2013 1:15 PM

Dec 2012
The summary was very promising, but the execution is underwhelming. I'll keep watching and see how it plays out, but was honestly hoping it would be darker.
Aug 3, 2013 9:48 AM

Oct 2009
ok i understand this was going to be very odd but random cross of asura's wrath & a sailor scout ... WTF?
i hope its alil more motive* in next ep. bcuz its too many characters to remember in 20 mins
Aug 4, 2013 3:01 PM

Feb 2011
Naegi is voiced by the same seiyuu as Shinji from Evangelion. :o And Togami with the same one as Kagari from Psycho-Pass, which I'm also watching. And Kaworu and Hakkai! Dang. I won't be able to stop hearing them when I listen.

I just had to look Fujisaki Chihiro up because I thought her voice sounded funny
And voiced some characters I'm familiar with.

Why doesn't Naegi have a black eye or fat lip from that punch.

So many familiar voices! Teddie!

If the fridge is refilled daily, doesn't that mean someone is bringing it in somewhere?

"It is not the strong or the smart that survive, but the ones who can bring about change."

Interesting saying.

A killer isn't going to follow that night time rule. >.>
ChouninatteAug 4, 2013 5:10 PM
眠れないのは君のせい
Aug 4, 2013 3:08 PM

Jul 2013
Chouninatte said:
Naegi is voiced by the same seiyuu as Shinji from Evangelion. :o And Togami with the same one as Kagari from Psycho-Pass, which I'm also watching. And Kawaru and Hakkai! Dang. I won't be able to stop seeing them when I listen.

I think Aoi Asahina (SHSL Swimmer) has the same VA as Hitagi from Bakemonogatari.
Pages (12) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2013

417 by BakaDorayaki »»
May 16, 2:05 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2013

436 by amychar »»
May 7, 3:17 PM

» how should i watch Danganronpa ?

TheAdo - Dec 29, 2016

19 by InstantRamenKing »»
Feb 9, 10:20 PM

» whats up with Kyoko Kirigiri hands?

EagleEd - Jan 13, 2018

5 by kaamsas »»
Jan 13, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2013

148 by berlinza6as »»
Jan 7, 2:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.