Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Mar 20, 2015 6:20 AM

Nov 2013
Beautiful anime 10/10.

Mar 20, 2015 6:41 AM

Aug 2013

Really good post. Thank you for posting this.
Mar 20, 2015 6:46 AM

Oct 2014

What's the point of doing this long-ass post if in the end you give it an 8? -,- Given that you already admit that this show is a melodrama with a poor execution, you must give this show a rating lower than 5. Otherwise, people will think you are a dumb teen that cries on cringeworthy drama. Remember, only plebs that score a melodrama show above 5.

please notice my sarcasm, please notice my sarcasm, please notice my sarcasm, please notice my sarcasm, please notice my sarcasm, please notice my sarcasm, please notice my sarcasm
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Mar 20, 2015 6:46 AM

Mar 2012
baboomrr said:
RandomDeception said:
Too little too late.

Though, I always knew that Kousei was a pedophile.

Kousei is 14...
Aiza is 13...
1 year difference...
gdi, this forum is full of idiots.

indeed, his stupidity is over 9000. LOL
Mar 20, 2015 7:04 AM

Sep 2014
AND it's over. The end of a journey. A beautiful, painful, wonderful journey. I shed tears right from the opening. I knew she would die. But they handled it really well. And the ending turned out bittersweet instead of fully depressing. Definitely in my top 10 now. :D
Mar 20, 2015 7:10 AM

Dec 2007
I'm happy that the childhood friend won even if it's by default.
Mar 20, 2015 7:34 AM

Oct 2013
shit nigga that was powerful af. I think this ending was actually the best part of this preposterously overrated series rofl. This show had so much potential; the musical performances were executed excellently, and Kousei's character and development is fantastic. Unfortunately, all of its problems really outweigh the good it had for it; 'tis a damn shame.

At least it has a memorable ending.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 20, 2015 7:39 AM

Jun 2009
that was such a bittersweet ending the letter part really got to me. anyways this anime had its flaws and all (especially the comedy) but overall it was a pretty good watch.

Mar 20, 2015 7:48 AM

Jun 2011
Good music and all. Hated the romance and drama. They're 13-14 years old kids and it feels like they're acting like adults. I can't imagine kids at their age behaving like that.
Mar 20, 2015 8:17 AM

Sep 2014
Theorder14 said:
Good music and all. Hated the romance and drama. They're 13-14 years old kids and it feels like they're acting like adults. I can't imagine kids at their age behaving like that.

They behaved neither like teens nor like adults. They behaved like scripts. Jokes aside, what made you think that they act more like adults than teens?
Mar 20, 2015 8:43 AM

Oct 2008
This is honestly the first time I came here to read people's comments because I needed a place to seek comfort after the ending... but I'm really surprised there is so much criticism. Well, to each his own, but this was an almost perfect show for me. I loved how the two main characters positively influenced each other to live life to the fullest and changed each others' fate. And I really appreciated the amount of effort going into the playing scenes, the music, and the animation.

Only a couple things bothered me a bit. Kaori's illness was never mentioned. It may not feel like an important detail but without it, it felt like she passed away from some mysterious disease and too convenient for the writer (since they don't have to explain the symptoms or surgery with low survival chances). Also, they put in Tsubaki at the end still harbouring hopes of getting with Kousei. Maybe that possibility exists (even if I don't want it to), but it felt like it was hinting the possibility way too soon. And, although it wasn't important to show in the last episode in the grand scheme of things, I'm left wondering about the results of the competition and Kousei's future. They didn't show Emi or Takeshi either, so maybe in the OVA?

Nevertheless this is still one of the best shows in recent years for me. Feels like a void in my heart right now.
Mar 20, 2015 9:15 AM

Sep 2014
PinkSheep said:
Miragee said:

They behaved neither like teens nor like adults. They behaved like scripts. Jokes aside, what made you think that they act more like adults than teens?

Because if you compare kids irl to this you'll notice the difference

I have seen "adults" acting more childish than teens. I have seen teens that already partly made up their mind, something a lot of adults havn't. Personally I think the behavior of the characters in this show can be that of a teen as well as an adult, generally speaking.
Mar 20, 2015 9:19 AM

Oct 2013
I'm a fan of happy endings :(
Not the ending I'm looking for but overall a solid 8/10 for this.
Why kaori? Whyyyyy D:
Mar 20, 2015 9:36 AM
Feb 2015
kieyuku said:
This is honestly the first time I came here to read people's comments because I needed a place to seek comfort after the ending... but I'm really surprised there is so much criticism. Well, to each his own, but this was an almost perfect show for me. I loved how the two main characters positively influenced each other to live life to the fullest and changed each others' fate. And I really appreciated the amount of effort going into the playing scenes, the music, and the animation.

Only a couple things bothered me a bit. Kaori's illness was never mentioned. It may not feel like an important detail but without it, it felt like she passed away from some mysterious disease and too convenient for the writer (since they don't have to explain the symptoms or surgery with low survival chances). Also, they put in Tsubaki at the end still harbouring hopes of getting with Kousei. Maybe that possibility exists (even if I don't want it to), but it felt like it was hinting the possibility way too soon. And, although it wasn't important to show in the last episode in the grand scheme of things, I'm left wondering about the results of the competition and Kousei's future. They didn't show Emi or Takeshi either, so maybe in the OVA?

Nevertheless this is still one of the best shows in recent years for me. Feels like a void in my heart right now.

I think people are upset because their anime just got overtaken in the top rankings list or something
Mar 20, 2015 11:20 AM
Mar 2015
I'm actually very much surprised with some of the criticisms I'm hearing as well.

1- The predictable/"knew it was going to happen" ending comment is just completely silly. Like some poster said earlier in the thread, people are going to whine it was predictable and cliche if she survived, and predictable and cliche if she died. Either way, you can't win. I'm not sure how them going through with her death is cliche, predictable, or typical given how many anime totally chicken out of that sort of ending.

2- The "they don't act like kids" comment. Although a lot of kids don't think that way, there are certainly quite a number of precocious kids out there, who are quite mature from a young age. It's not surprise that a bunch of prodigy musicians think and act this way. This is not as uncommon as you may think.

3- I'm surprised some people were turned off by Arima's and Kaori's poetic dialogue; I found it to beautiful and a breath of fresh air. To be honest, I get a little tired of the typical boring dialogue you see amongst school kids in these type of anime. Tsubaki provided enough of that.

4- People thinking Tsubaki >>> Kaori... Of course this all comes down to preference, but I found Tsubaki to be waaaayy too selfish. My idea of love is that you admire the individual for who and what they are, and that you want them to be the very best they can be, no matter if that means you're not the love of their life. The way she treated Arima when he admitted to liking Kaori (as she was dying no less), kind of made my jaw drop.

And I'm not sure why people didn't like the drama. This whole story was about Arima overcoming his obstacles, growing and developing as a musician and human being, dealing with grief and possible regrets, and the color that we add to the people around us, even if we think we're invisible to them (among other things). It was definitely one of the most beautiful and well made anime I have ever seen. 10/10 ending and anime overall
Mar 20, 2015 11:23 AM
Mar 2015
43211 said:
Theorder14 said:
Miragee said:

I have seen "adults" acting more childish than teens. I have seen teens that already partly made up their mind, something a lot of adults havn't. Personally I think the behavior of the characters in this show can be that of a teen as well as an adult, generally speaking.

No one talks the way they talk. No one.

They talk like a 21st century Shakespeare play.

That's not true though. Pick up Othello, Hamlet, Macbeth or any other Shakespeare work, and compare it to the dialogue of Kaori and Arima. It's not even a subjective thing; the only thing they have in common is that they're poetic.

Also, remember that a lot of the poetic "talk" isn't actually them talking at all; it's actually their internal monologue, or the letter written to Arima.
Mar 20, 2015 11:33 AM

Apr 2013
hdd1230 said:
as with people giving out 5/10 like it is some harem show that ended where it started in the plot

That would be a 2/10.
Mar 20, 2015 11:36 AM

Sep 2008
8/10

I enjoyed it.
Mar 20, 2015 12:07 PM

Aug 2014
I would've probably given it a full 9 if it ended on April 1st...
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Mar 20, 2015 12:11 PM
Aug 2013
8/10
quite a enjoyable show, but not memorable top best..
Mal ratings of 8.88 is overhyped!!
the music @ the concert was so good..damn i forgot in which world i was in!!
Mar 20, 2015 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
asmodeyx said:
I'm actually very much surprised with some of the criticisms I'm hearing as well.

1- The predictable/"knew it was going to happen" ending comment is just completely silly. Like some poster said earlier in the thread, people are going to whine it was predictable and cliche if she survived, and predictable and cliche if she died. Either way, you can't win. I'm not sure how them going through with her death is cliche, predictable, or typical given how many anime totally chicken out of that sort of ending.

2- The "they don't act like kids" comment. Although a lot of kids don't think that way, there are certainly quite a number of precocious kids out there, who are quite mature from a young age. It's not surprise that a bunch of prodigy musicians think and act this way. This is not as uncommon as you may think.

3- I'm surprised some people were turned off by Arima's and Kaori's poetic dialogue; I found it to beautiful and a breath of fresh air. To be honest, I get a little tired of the typical boring dialogue you see amongst school kids in these type of anime. Tsubaki provided enough of that.

4- People thinking Tsubaki >>> Kaori... Of course this all comes down to preference, but I found Tsubaki to be waaaayy too selfish. My idea of love is that you admire the individual for who and what they are, and that you want them to be the very best they can be, no matter if that means you're not the love of their life. The way she treated Arima when he admitted to liking Kaori (as she was dying no less), kind of made my jaw drop.

And I'm not sure why people didn't like the drama. This whole story was about Arima overcoming his obstacles, growing and developing as a musician and human being, dealing with grief and possible regrets, and the color that we add to the people around us, even if we think we're invisible to them (among other things). It was definitely one of the most beautiful and well made anime I have ever seen. 10/10 ending and anime overall

I completely agree with everything you just said
Mar 20, 2015 12:59 PM

Feb 2014
Finally the adaption did the last 2 chapters justice. Didn't expect Kaori to be animated this good this ep, just too good.
10/10 for this ep, ignoring the fact Tsubaki still had to be a violent bitch. Like u srs thinking u can just get away with physically crippling Kousei? Emi will be there ruining u Tsubaki. Kousei's expression at the end was what I was waiting for and it did not disappoint. Was wishing for the credits to roll with the tearjerker photo/scene in the background, but oh well. :/

8/10 overall, some adapted sections weren't up to par for me but those that did were amazing

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Mar 20, 2015 1:03 PM
Mar 2012
Im gonna be a wreck. Wheres the miracle thats suppose to happen? stupid kaori , why u gotta go leave us like that. :'(
Mar 20, 2015 1:39 PM

Oct 2013
I've had my love/hate relationship with Shigatsu early on until I realized that it's a show you mostly watch with your heart, as the author intended you to. I appreciate shows that do what they intended to do so and Shigatsu did it and one can tell it's truly a work of passion.

The pros can easily outweigh the cons, or not as much depending on how much value an individual puts in each. Those would be:

+Gorgeous soundtrack
+Awesome and gripping performances
+Good visuals overall
+Great drama and good development around the characters
+Well-structured story
+Realistic dilemmas surrounding the characters
+Kousei’s development is fantastic
+Great conclusion to Kousei and Kaori

-Bad and random comedy that ruins the serious dramatic moments
-A lot of unnecessary melodrama
-Unresolved and left-out (also kinda pointless in the end) drama on Tsubaki
-Sometimes, the visuals looked stupid with the 6-year-old-drawn-chibis

I'm hardly a fan of emotion manipulation through melodrama in shows that take themselves very seriously and out-of-place slapstick comedy, else I'd forget about it's flaws almost entirely and give it a solid 9/10. But even with that, it just has so much to offer, so much emotion to be felt that and an excellent final episode which should be something EXTREMELY IMPORTANT in any show, that I can't help but give it a solid 8/10.

Lastly, dunno what to say about the fact that it's ranked so high on MAL. I'm tempted to say it's overrated, maybe even very much so because there are shows that are just as good(from as much of an objective standpoint as possible) in the 200 & 300s. But then again, seeing as how it had elements that I usually REALLY dislike and stay the hell away from, things that don't really bother many viewers, and I still enjoyed it this much makes me refrain from claiming it's overhyped. I'd also kind of feel like a bastard if I'd enforce Shigatsu's bad points when it has so many more good ones, heh :P
Mar 20, 2015 1:43 PM
Mar 2013
Great Ending. Loved the anime!!
Mar 20, 2015 1:52 PM
Jul 2013
I cried!!! Well i knew that kaoru will die but the anime forced my years to come out.... Luckily the cat didn't die too.... I'm glad that Kousei didn't become depressed like what he did before.

I wonder if Kousei won the audition... Or if he was able to go to the music high school.

I feel like Kousei will end up with tsubaki.... I want to read the manga to find out my curiosity if he won or not... Hope the manga does tell me if he did or not.
Mar 20, 2015 1:57 PM

Sep 2014
Years later, Arimas hair turns white from all the suffering he's been thro, and he becomes CCG Reaper.
Mar 20, 2015 2:12 PM

Apr 2012
That was a great show. I expected that ending but still, the feels, the sorrow, the crying. Rough day now but it was worth the ride.
Mar 20, 2015 3:50 PM

Jun 2012
They sure went all out with the animation budget this last episode, there wasn't a single CGI hand playing piano scene. Don't know why the authors are alergic to epilogues and addicted to cliffhangers, but still it was a great series, one of the best romances.
Mar 20, 2015 3:51 PM

Nov 2014
It was cool
Mar 20, 2015 3:52 PM

Jul 2012
It was good overall, nice to see that Kaori did love Kousei afterall :) I enjoyed this show.

7/10.
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Mar 20, 2015 4:03 PM

Apr 2012
I wanted to have another real performance of Kaori after episode 11, but on hindsight there really wasn't the time for it. Well there could have been, but they decided to immobilize her and develop Aiza and his sister (I wanted more Emi btw but oh well). But it's a choice I understand, because it depicts Kaori in a more realistic way, which makes the conclusion even more heartbreaking. And it gets more depressing when you start thinking about the symbolism associated with Kaori and Tsubaki. And I usually root for the childhood friend.
Tokoya said:
8/10 RIP Best Girl
EratiKMar 20, 2015 4:15 PM
Mar 20, 2015 4:10 PM

Sep 2010
I already knew this is how it ended because of the manga, but dammit.. Really was hoping they'd pull a Tokyo Ghoul and change the story. Still sad watching her die a second time..

Couldn't have Tsubaki died instead?
Mar 20, 2015 4:26 PM

Oct 2012
For some reason I wasn't moved by the first part when piano played - maybe the piece of music didn't work for me. But the part with the letter was great and it was nice and touching closure for this series.

In its second part, this anime felt dragged for way too long. Sometimes it hadn't the impact I hoped for. But it never was bad. It managed to tell good story with music and color. It tried to tell really sad story about life. I definitely recommend it.

7/10
Mich666Mar 20, 2015 4:57 PM
Mar 20, 2015 4:34 PM
Jul 2012
I really enjoyed the last few episodes of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. Kaori's death was seen coming from a mile away, but I feel like a miracle cure would have been a huge cop out at this point.

Read the manga, and the letter part played out perfectly, exactly how I imagined it in my head.
My anime blog
Ganebare Anime
Mar 20, 2015 4:50 PM

Jul 2014
bjorno said:
It was good overall, nice to see that Kaori did love Kousei afterall :) I enjoyed this show.

7/10.

Which of course means she was just using his friend, guess hot blonds can do that and not look like the villain they are. Also bit of a dick move to tell him about it, could just see his friend crying his eyes out about his "girlfriend" dying and Kousei either getting to tell him the "good" news that she wasn't really his girlfriend, or stand there feeling like crap with the secret.

All of that because she was just too shy to walk up to him and say hi. The fact that she would even come up with this convoluted and nasty and manipulative plan makes her more than just "selfish." It kinda makes you glad the bitch is dead.
Mar 20, 2015 4:57 PM

May 2013
Too melodramatic. But the music aspect keeps entertaining me. So 6/10
Mar 20, 2015 5:03 PM

Jul 2014
Awwwww, I love the part when she says she loves him over and over T_T
Mar 20, 2015 5:19 PM

Oct 2011
Really touching overall. Interesting to find out what the "lie" was. This anime could've used less monologues, but I'm a sucker for the musical performances.
KefkirothMar 20, 2015 5:23 PM
Mar 20, 2015 5:34 PM

Sep 2009
I'm so sad, because she died.

But this anime is really good, good story good animation.

I cryed so much with this anime. I just hated the finale, i hate sad endings,Ii like better the ''happy ever after'' ending, even if is cliche I don't care I like cliche T-T
Mar 20, 2015 5:49 PM
Feb 2013
I really liked this episode from the standpoint of a manga reader. The reason for this is that they decided to strip out the audience reactions from the performance and let the performance stand on its own which is a rather ballsy and interesting way to approach things. Not only this but they made us the viewers into the audience by doing so. We got to choose whether or not we thought that Kousei won the competition rather then have some one else tell us that he probably did. Though there was one scene I wish they had kept and that was with the two rivals back stage talking to one another saying that they are still on their journey and that they are still chasing his (Kousei's) back.

One of the principle complaints that came from the manga ending was that Kaori and Kousei never got to play together again, and because kaori appeared on stage for only a few panels in the manga, this could be interpreted as true. But because Chopin's ballade #1 is a 9-10 minute piece of music, they had plenty of time in the anime to show that they did get to play together one last time if only in spirit. It left quite a bitter-sweet feeling with me.
Mar 20, 2015 6:13 PM

May 2010
Too overdramatic especially the sky scene.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 20, 2015 6:20 PM

Dec 2010
The music scene felt a little long, mainly because I wanted to know if Kaori lived or not. But it was very beautifully done. However, I wasn't as sad as I thought I was going to be, and that may have been what the show was going for. But the letter reading was very touching, especially when he was interacting with Kaori in the scenes with the 1st OP in the background.

I can't exactly explain my feelings on this show. It's deep, and has some great characterization, although a few characters didn't get as much as they needed like Watari. I really can't complain too much. The writing was like poetry in motion, and it was a very easy show to watch. Despite being quite heavy especially in the latter half.

Also, I'm really glad they explained what the lie was. I love it when they can tie everything together like that and relate it to the title.

Is it my favorite anime? No, but it is a great one, and one I will probably recommend to people who want a dramatic series with some touching romance, and great music.

I give it a 9/10 (maybe a 9.5 I'll have to think about it)
Mar 20, 2015 6:29 PM

Sep 2010
I knew she was going to die and I was sad didn't cry though.

8/10
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 20, 2015 6:41 PM

Jul 2009
where to start... i feel like this is one of those shows i get to watch every year or so that deserves a nice few words after all said and done. to paraphrase arima, 'she was beautiful'; and certainly she was. i believe kaori takes the cake as being one of the most well rounded, most inspiring, most loving character this year. she never stopped, she was rampant, energetic, and forceful. but she inspired to change, strove for success, yearned for fulfillment, because she knew she didn't have much time left. and that's the thing, throughout the series we saw this bubbly energetic girl who seemed like she had health related problems, but it was only till the very end did we understand why she was who she was. so, the take away from this story is really to understand that time is fleeting, and as cliche as it sounds, make the most of it. whether it's difficult, it's tiring, it's impossible, do your very best; lie; cheat; struggle; fight. take the opportunity and seize the day, because you never when it might be too late.

9/10. needed a few more grains of feels to tip the scale. i think had they lessen the death flags and gave more hope, the ending would've sealed the deal. cause for awhile the death train was long seen coming. it almost felt like ah.. it has finally happened. versus, noooooo..... nonetheless, kaori to the top 10 favourite character list. now where to rank her...
Mar 20, 2015 6:45 PM

Aug 2013
It was good i guess

idk... it just feels that there was something a little off about it... not completely sure how to think about it, but something

Mar 20, 2015 8:14 PM

Aug 2008
fuck this. I'm out.
Mar 20, 2015 8:19 PM

Mar 2013
I don't think you can quit once you've made it to the end.
Mar 20, 2015 8:23 PM
Sep 2013
holy shit I cried for like 5 mins straight
Mar 20, 2015 8:48 PM

Nov 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I can't help but feel this show gets its praise more for the kind of show it is (hardcore KEY style melodrama) and the look of it more than anything to do with execution. At the end of the day we get our "profound" meaning and sob story ending as could have been predicted episodes ago where the story probably could have ended, but my lack of empathy for or lasting interest in the cast leaves it feeling oh so hollow and I felt this way with the manga too. They just aren't particularly likeable for the most part and I can't help but feel that it shifted gears from a decent personal story about a troubled musician to romantic melodrama to the detriment of its potential. In any case as they say its all over but the crying for those that get really emotional over this sort of stuff.

Your words are also my own. I thought the melodrama was horrible and the characters and their monologues too wise and over-the-top for their age. The sudden bouts of exaggerated humor amidst the drama were really out of place... enfin, I only kept watching for the music.
However, I have to concede that the last two episodes were really well made. I didn't shed a single tear throughout the series, but did in the second half of the last episode with the letter.
KelvetsMar 20, 2015 8:58 PM
Pages (24) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2014

362 by ejleon »»
Jun 18, 3:21 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2014

412 by ejleon »»
Jun 18, 11:44 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2014

287 by ejleon »»
Jun 18, 11:13 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2014

327 by ejleon »»
Jun 18, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

333 by CarlosKurogane »»
Jun 15, 3:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.