Forum Settings
Forums

Why are the Japanese so bad at live action but good at anime?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2016 7:38 PM

Jan 2008
Zapredon said:
Most anime are unrealistic and over the top and when become live action, it just didn't do well and feel cringe.

Do anime voice actors even do live action films often. if ever?
Jul 3, 2016 7:40 PM
Feb 2014
Zapredon said:
Most anime are unrealistic and over the top and when become live action, it just didn't do well and feel cringe.

This. You can't go this high when the parameters are set for pure fantasy.
Jul 3, 2016 7:42 PM

Dec 2012
Because they don't need to make their own live action entertainment when they can just import ours. And also this:

Zapredon said:

Aime set the bar too high and live action can't jump it.

Anyhow, I disagree with the assertion that that 20th Century Boys, Gantz, Death Note, and Rurouni Kenshin live action movies are bad/meh. I enjoyed them. In Gantz's case I actually hate the anime and found the live-action version to be surprisingly watchable.
KruszerSep 27, 2018 7:58 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jul 3, 2016 8:10 PM
Sep 2013
You should watch more normal movie then.
Jul 3, 2016 8:17 PM
Sep 2013
I recommend
kirishima bukatsu yamerutteyo
Jul 4, 2016 1:05 AM

Mar 2014
JustALEX said:
kamisama751 said:

The VIP Elitist tag.

@Comic_Sans please don't go to the dark side!
But I wanna piss people off huehuehue
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 4, 2016 3:02 AM

Sep 2015
Seems to me, most of the items you are complaining are the live-action adaptation of anime and that will be automatically bound to be a sub par. They are originally anime and we fully aware of this, so a certain degree of bias will therefore be formed if it get adapted into another medium—moreover if we really like this original one—it's just inevitable. But taking that part aside, they are anime and sometimes, there is something that can only or exclusively be done well in animation form and hard to recreate them in live-action with all its limitation. Adapting them into live action is just counter-productive, just my opinion.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Jul 4, 2016 3:52 AM

Jan 2015
Always thought one of it is the milk problem. Mostly, japanese production comitte can't hold themselves for not fappin' their own shit without realized they can't/have capability for producing a fine one, that can match the original. bet their west counterpart just share the same story.
But u can still broaden ur by watch non LA movies, assuming not all of their released stuff are anime-based to begin with

la critique de l'intention pure
Jul 4, 2016 3:58 AM

Dec 2014
Prison School live action is good, i think...

Hana was beautiful, also Chiyo....
Mari looks constipated, everytime i see her... :(
Jul 4, 2016 4:16 AM

Dec 2015
Depends. I haven't seen any anime adaptations yet but Audition by Takashi Miike is my all time favorite movie. I guess their movie industry is good unless they adapt a manga or anime.
Jul 4, 2016 4:29 AM

Apr 2010
Cause you are used to see them as anime. Try take story which didn't start his way as anime or manga, amd see if you like it. Unfortunately the only anime which isn't kodomo i can think of whwhich fits this is les miserables

Jul 4, 2016 4:50 AM

Aug 2015
I agree that the Japanese have made a few rather disappointing live action adaptions of anime, but I disagree that Japanese film making in general is "shit." It's like saying American film makers are shit because they've made a few god awful video game adaptions.

If you don't mind looking back in time a bit, the golden age of Japanese film making was probably from the early 1950's to the early 1960's. Pretty much no film created by the likes of Kurosawa, Ozu, Mizoguchi, Kinoshita, or Kobayashi (I'd even throw Ishiro Honda in there) can be considered a bad film. Jump forward to the late 60's and 70's were a combination of the rise of TV popularity and economic crisis led to a lot less money for movie production.

As a fan of Godzilla movies, its interesting to look at Godzilla movies from 1954 through 2004. You can really see the tangible evolution of both Japanese film making and Godzilla himself as the years roll on. In fact it may be a perfect example to show this evolution as there was usually a new release every year or every other year.

As others have also stated, the Japanese frankly don't give a damn about producing media that outsiders enjoy. They are all about pleasing the domestic audience. Honestly, I enjoy that about the Japanese. If I want something different and honest to its roots, I know where to look. Western media on the other hand has become so bland and washed out in recent years in an effort to become palatable to every person on the planet, that in some instances, they can't catch my interest.

So Japan, just keep being Japan and do what you do best.
"More than the cherry blossoms,
Inviting a wind to blow them away,
I am wondering what to do,
With the remaining springtime."

-Asano Naganori
Jul 4, 2016 5:11 AM

Oct 2013
For the same reason Americans are good with movies but most of the cartoons suck
Jul 4, 2016 5:13 AM

Jun 2014
You listed a bunch of anime adaptations (except for Jin Roh, which was a live action turned into anime). Your statement of Japanese live action films being shit is, quite frankly, stupid.

While I understand how many films that require SFX look terrible because of generally much lower budgets than Hollywood/Hong Kong/etc cinema. I watched many Godzilla films as a kid (and still rewatch some today) and yeah, the special effects are pretty dumb. Another issue lies the the acting abilities of the cast. Not many quite have the expertise of highly regarded pros like Judi Dench, Morgan Freeman, etc. So a lot of films get pretty campy.

But you ignore many great films. Kurosawa is regarded as one of the greatest filmmakers of all time, period. He has an excellent filmography (Seven Samurai, Ran, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood among others). Takashi Miike also has some really good flicks under his belt, like Ichi the Killer, 13 Assassins and Audition. And isn't J-Horror generally regarded as being far better than a lot of Hollywood competition?
Jul 4, 2016 5:16 AM

Aug 2013
Dunno. Why don't you go ask 'em? Maybe give them some advice since you know so much.
Jul 4, 2016 5:45 AM

Aug 2015
DerpCat said:
You listed a bunch of anime adaptations (except for Jin Roh, which was a live action turned into anime). Your statement of Japanese live action films being shit is, quite frankly, stupid.

While I understand how many films that require SFX look terrible because of generally much lower budgets than Hollywood/Hong Kong/etc cinema. I watched many Godzilla films as a kid (and still rewatch some today) and yeah, the special effects are pretty dumb. Another issue lies the the acting abilities of the cast. Not many quite have the expertise of highly regarded pros like Judi Dench, Morgan Freeman, etc. So a lot of films get pretty campy.

But you ignore many great films. Kurosawa is regarded as one of the greatest filmmakers of all time, period. He has an excellent filmography (Seven Samurai, Ran, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood among others). Takashi Miike also has some really good flicks under his belt, like Ichi the Killer, 13 Assassins and Audition. And isn't J-Horror generally regarded as being far better than a lot of Hollywood competition?

Yes! I forgot about Miike. He is a master of many genres. He can do period movies like 13 Assassins or Harakiri (a remake of a Kobayashi film), or horror like Audition and Ichi the Killer, and the HILARIOUS Happiness of the Katakuris. You are also correct about J-Horror, they are usually superb and often emulated and copied.

Oh, in regarding film adaptions of anime series, I didn't dislike Space Battleship Yamato. I thought it was decent.

-Asano Naganori
Jul 4, 2016 5:47 AM

Oct 2012
Best japanese drama I've watched:
Ties of Shooting Stars (流星の絆)
Close the world, ƚxƎn ɘʜƚ nɘqO.

Sep 24, 2018 12:17 PM
Sep 2018
Maybe too late on this forum, and this is my first comment.

I want to say that saying the Japanese film industry has always been bad is straight out wrong, since you ignore the existence of the likes of Seven Samurai. Like a person here said, Japan's golden age of filmmaking was during the 50s to the 60s, those films were on the level of the great Hollywood films of that era.

However, if you say Japanese movies in these years or even post-2000 have been bad, then your opinion is not exactly wrong. Japan's film industry has been downgrading for years.
Even those who work in the said industry have criticized on it:
http://aramajapan.com/news/furukawa-yuki-criticizes-japanese-film-and-television-industries-in-interview-with-the-hollywood-reporter/51495/
https://www.tokyoweekender.com/2016/12/hirokazu-koreeda-on-the-problem-with-japanese-cinema/

The most prominent issue in Japanese filmmaking is the lack of originality and creativity, and the problem is as bad, or even worse, as the problem Hollywood has suffered. How many films in Japan were adaptations of existing source materials such as manga, novels, and TV series in the past few years? and how many more will come?

Confessions, an adaptation of a book that's better than the film
Battle Royale, the book is way better, and the film's sequel is bad.
Our Little Sister, an adaptation of a manga
Miracles of the Namiya General Store, originally a book
These, however, are good adaptations.

There have been for more failed adaptations made by the Rising Sun, most being anime/manga adaptations. Even the once-acclaimed director Takashi Miike has been criticized by the general Japanese audiences as a bad director who focuses too much on manga adaptations and creates 12 manga-adapted movies, 5 novel-adapted movies, 2 game adaptations, 2 remakes of classic films.

"the problem is that producers and distribution companies have even less desire than before to export content globally. After all, why gamble on a young filmmaker with an original idea when you can invest in a live-action adaptation of a well-known manga story or novel?" (Hirokazu Koreeda On The Problem With Japanese Cinema)

While adapting existing media isn't a bad thing, but it does reflect a huge trait in a country's own film industry.

The next problem is the scale of Japanese live-action movies. Recent Japanese movies that are critically acclaimed mostly share one trait: its small-scale setting and cast. Family drama has been one of, if not the primary, overused theme in Japanese live-action film, and the above claim is the main reason for this phenomena. This itself, also, isn't necessarily bad, but it does limit how far Japanese movies can go. You have rarely seen Japanese live-action movies that are comparable to the likes of the MCU, Mission Impossible, Lord of the Ring, Star Wars, Game of Throne (Its being a TV show shows how tiny Japanese film industry is.) in terms of scale. Even many US TV shows that are good have a wider scale and larger casts. Japanese film industry is, essentially, locked by its own trait.

There are other issues to be addressed, but I'll leave it here at first.
What're your thoughts?
Sep 24, 2018 12:20 PM

Apr 2013
The production value is certainly low, they don't put a lot of money in movies like USA or Sk does.
Now even with that you can find live action series that are damn fine, like that adaptation of Tantei no Tantei for example, I liked that one.
Sep 24, 2018 12:34 PM

Oct 2013
Anime/manga has a lot of things that are harder to translate into live action.

Plus japanese actors tend to exaggerate/overly imitate the character they play from the material.

I think it would work if they make the films less anime/manga-like and let the actors act naturally.
Sep 24, 2018 12:43 PM

Oct 2014
Unsure of it myself. I watch a whole lot of anime, but I can't really stand anything live-action from Japan. Which is a bit odd because I watch a whole lot of Chinese movies, although nothing adapted from an Anime or something.
Sep 24, 2018 12:46 PM

Jul 2015
I don't get it, I like live action dramas
sure there are a few bad eggs here and there and sometimes it doesn't follow the sauce material to the bone but whatevs
it's two different mediums so of course they are handled differently
PLAE MY GAEM BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH
Neapolitan Nightmares
Sep 24, 2018 12:48 PM

Sep 2013
Zapredon said:

this anwsers it

anime is good because is not real, if not we'd probally get cringy results
Sep 24, 2018 12:51 PM

Feb 2010
Idk, from what I know many japanese films are highly regarded by international critics and they have a rich tradition in that field.

It's true that you don't hear a lot of good things about TV Series tho.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 24, 2018 12:54 PM

Aug 2007
Maybe most of movies and dramas are bad. I've watched a lot of this stuff and I can say there are nice adaptions. Also I have watched a lot of moves and dramas from shojo mangas and they are quite good: Nana, Parakiss, Honey and clover, Hana kimi and kimi ni todoke are examples.
Sep 24, 2018 1:04 PM

Oct 2017
Rurouni Kenshin did good you seem to be the only one who had a problem with it. Also it's not just the Japanese who are bad, Hollywood isn't any better from what we've seen.
Sep 24, 2018 1:16 PM

Jan 2016
DerpCat said:

I would like to add Dersu Uzala from Kurosawa, that movie is freaking astonishing.
Sep 24, 2018 1:16 PM

May 2009
Krystopher said:
Why are the Japanese so bad at live action but good at anime?

2. because every comparison you made is something you'ee more used to seeing in animated form

1. because you're not used to watching Japanese live-action TV but you've watched at least 66 different anime series already
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 24, 2018 1:50 PM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
You're talking about the Gantz movies, this is what the author of Gantz manga said about those kind of live-actions

“Why are all of these poor, force-fit live-action adaptations of manga getting made? Because if you take a series with name recognition and cast a handsome actor in the lead role, even if the story and visuals are just whatever, tons of people will go see it. From the very first stages of these movies, no one is thinking about the hardcore fans of the series. Unless there’s more money to be made, no one is going to make these films.”

It looks like you've only watched live-action adaptations of the most popular series, most of which are produced just for milking some extra money using big franchise names. There are many good original live-action movies and J-dramas, you just need to try out different stuff.

ThatRazorGuy said:
Sorry dude but I think you're watching the wrong movies. Some of the best films I have ever seen are from the land of the rising sun. Check out Confessions, which is probably the best film of the current decade thus far and Kurosawa's movies, which are among the all time greats.

I agree.

...lol didn't notice the thread is so old
JinbouSep 25, 2018 3:15 AM
Sep 24, 2018 8:36 PM
Sep 2018
KEIKAN said:

As others have also stated, the Japanese frankly don't give a damn about producing media that outsiders enjoy. They are all about pleasing the domestic audience. Honestly, I enjoy that about the Japanese. If I want something different and honest to its roots, I know where to look. Western media on the other hand has become so bland and washed out in recent years in an effort to become palatable to every person on the planet, that in some instances, they can't catch my interest.

So Japan, just keep being Japan and do what you do best.

However, isn't this the problem that compromises Japan's cinema, though not that there aren't other problems.
Sep 24, 2018 8:54 PM
Sep 2018

Jinbou said:

It looks like you've only watched live-action adaptations of the most popular series, most of which are produced just for milking some extra money using big franchise names. There are many good original live-action movies and J-dramas, you just need to try out different stuff.

I agree.

And most of those good live-action movies are adaptations, and they have a tendency to have a tight scale, setting, and cast.
While they have produced many heart-warming dramas from here and there, they have huge difficulties transferring to other genres, like war movies, action movies (very few are produced, and even fewer are good), sci-fi, and fantasy.

On the other hands, Korean cinema, in the last 18 years, has arguably better performance than its Japanese counterpart by a mile. They breathed new air into the zombie genre in the "Train to Busan", making one of the best manga adaptation that was known as "Old Boy", and making a chilling, serious spy movie-- "The Spy Gone".

To clarify, I'm not dismissing the significance of family-drama or movies with small scale as I love some of them myself, but it seems that these, other than those even rarer movies outside of that genre, are the best Japan has produced these days.
Sep 24, 2018 8:58 PM
Sep 2018
-SP- said:
Rurouni Kenshin did good you seem to be the only one who had a problem with it. Also it's not just the Japanese who are bad, Hollywood isn't any better from what we've seen.

Well, if you are talking about remakes in this decade, I'll say the MCU is the prime example of how you adapt manga (comic=manga) and make your franchise a form of art--the art of a shared continuity that's rare to see in any other franchise, so Hollywood, when it gets over its own crap, is still kicking.

However, if your point is current Hollywood is a shadow of its former glory, then yes, there is no room for disagreement.
Sep 24, 2018 9:23 PM

Aug 2015
I have to agree that Korean cinema has been host to a lot of amazing films in the past two decades. I'd also have to agree that Japanese cinema's strongest assets are it's variety of drama films. I would also have added horror into the Japanese side a few years ago, but I've seen a lot fewer decent horror movies coming out. I did buy the bluray for I am a Hero recently, and I thought that was really good, same with Shin Godzilla... but yeah, pretty infrequent schedule of anything action oriented I'm interested in seeing from Japan.

Generally, I like...

50s/60s Samurai & other period films
50s to early 2000s Kaiju movies
90s to early 2000s Horror
Anything Toshiro Mifune
Anything Takashi Miike
Anything Beat Kitano
Plus a sprinkling of dramas from different periods... Departures is absolutely amazing.

Sorry to ramble, I've been drinking.

-Asano Naganori
Sep 24, 2018 11:07 PM
Sep 2018
KEIKAN said:
I'd also have to agree that Japanese cinema's strongest assets are it's variety of drama films. I would also have added horror into the Japanese side a few years ago, but I've seen a lot fewer decent horror movies coming out. I did buy the bluray for I am a Hero recently, and I thought that was really good, same with Shin Godzilla... but yeah, pretty infrequent schedule of anything action oriented I'm interested in seeing from Japan.

Sorry to cut something out, because I want to focus on certain things.

What do you "variety of drama films"?
Their modern mainstream drama films range from family drama, romance, and movies about very mundane and small things.

Other countries like Korea and China (Hong Kong actually) has produced more drama from more genres (What are Japan's equivalents to Old Boy and Infernal Affairs?). And we are not being bringing up Hollywood drama. Sure, many Hollywood films do suck, but, as a whole, Hollywood are still on the top of the food chain, making drama films that tie into multiple genres, like Blade Runner 2049 (Personal drama + mind-blowing science opera+ great world building.) or The Dark Knight (Personal drama + crime thriller + manga live-action).

They even manage to lose one of their most valuable asset, horror films. Frankly,the quality of their horror films have declined tremendously. The brand "J-horror" has lost its appeal and credibility. What's worse is their obsession for remake, reboot, and crossover (Kyako vs Sadako).

Thoughts?
Sep 25, 2018 12:13 AM

Sep 2016
No matter how bad you think the Japanese live-action versions of anime are, they're still a virtual Masterpiece compared to the track record of Hollywood and anime.

I now awaken your dormant memories of Dragonball Evolution that you had hoped to never recall ever again.

You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Sep 25, 2018 1:13 AM
Sep 2018
Older_than_dirt said:
No matter how bad you think the Japanese live-action versions of anime are, they're still a virtual Masterpiece compared to the track record of Hollywood and anime.

I now awaken your dormant memories of Dragonball Evolution that you had hoped to never recall ever again.

AoT live action = DBE though...

Besides, If you see Inception and Black Swan as spiritual successors of two anime movies, so US could adapt anime better than Japanese do...

Besides, Hollywood has made great live-action adaptations of their manga, MCU, Nolan-verse
Sep 25, 2018 1:59 AM

Sep 2016
leonanime123 said:
Older_than_dirt said:

Besides, If you see Inception and Black Swan as spiritual successors of two anime movies, so US could adapt anime better than Japanese do...

Besides, Hollywood has made great live-action adaptations of their manga, MCU, Nolan-verse

I never did see all of Inception, and haven't seen Black Swan, and I'm also not familiar with what they are "spiritual successors" of, so I can't really comment on their adaptation quality.

AoT live-action wasn't all that bad. They had to make an original ending, which is understandable, at least for me.

I now present "The Last Airbender (2010)" as evidence #2, and Speed Racer (2008) as evidence #3.
Sure, Mortal Kombat (a video game adaptation rather than anime) was pretty decent, but the sequel... evidence #4.
The recent GitS movie is another example... cinematically it was pretty good, but they mucked up the story by changing a few details.

Hollywood may have had a couple anime/manga adaptations that were ok, but the majority were flops.

You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Sep 25, 2018 2:04 AM

Nov 2017
bcoz...
- japanasse actors or actresses lack of experience... but they good at voice acting
- about special effect, yes.... they special effect are crap (almost nothing change since ultraman gaia aired)... the main trouble is... no field available.
- staff, producer and director...
Now Loading.....
Sep 25, 2018 2:22 AM
Sep 2018
Older_than_dirt said:
leonanime123 said:

I never did see all of Inception, and haven't seen Black Swan, and I'm also not familiar with what they are "spiritual successors" of, so I can't really comment on their adaptation quality.

I now present "The Last Airbender (2010)" as evidence #2, and Speed Racer (2008) as evidence #3.
Sure, Mortal Kombat (a video game adaptation rather than anime) was pretty decent, but the sequel... evidence #4.
The recent GitS movie is another example... cinematically it was pretty good, but they mucked up the story by changing a few details.

And MCU and Nolan-verse show that Hollywood is far better than Japan in adapting comic books. Yeah, the source materials are native, but so are anime to Japanese filmmakers. Yet, Japanese filmmakers flopped more at adapting their own source than US adapting theirs.

Not to mention, current Japanese film industry is even less creative than Hollywood. Most of their recent films are adaptations of novels, manga/anime, games, old movies, or remake of popular movies.

Even the once great Takashi Miike is heavily criticized by Japanese audiences, his own target audiences, as the "king of bad movies" (I do have to say the title is a translated one.).
It's just terrible...
Sep 25, 2018 2:27 AM

Jul 2015
That thread is 2 years old. And the obvious answer to OP is: stop watching shitty japanese movies? Do you legit expect anime and video game adaptations to be good? Lol.
Sep 25, 2018 2:43 AM

Jan 2018
Having faith in live action shows like putting faith in a friend that had played you for good.
Sep 25, 2018 2:53 AM

Aug 2015
Japanese adaptations of anime/manga suck the same reason western adaptations of anime/manga suck - manga and anime are unsuitable for movie adaptation.
To make a good live adaptation studio need: complete understanding of original, gigantic budget and tv-show format.
I can imagine Game-of-Thrones-like live adaptation of FMA of Geass for example but that's not gonna happen in near furure.
Sep 25, 2018 2:53 AM
Sep 2018
Clebardman said:
That thread is 2 years old. And the obvious answer to OP is: stop watching shitty japanese movies? Do you legit expect anime and video game adaptations to be good? Lol.

Korean showed the world how you can adapt Japanese manga and surpass the original source material.
Sep 25, 2018 2:57 AM

Jul 2015
@leonanime123 Well, koreans are showing Hollywood how to make revenge movies since decades, yet America still produces garbage like the latest adaptation of Ghost in the Shell. Don't expect good anime adaptations becoming the norm because it happened once in korea (^%
Sep 25, 2018 3:12 AM
Sep 2018
UrbanSpaceman said:
Japanese adaptations of anime/manga suck the same reason western adaptations of anime/manga suck - manga and anime are unsuitable for movie adaptation.
To make a good live adaptation studio need: complete understanding of original, gigantic budget and tv-show format.
I can imagine Game-of-Thrones-like live adaptation of FMA of Geass for example but that's not gonna happen in near furure.

It's better to let Hollywood direct shows like FMA
Sep 25, 2018 3:27 AM
Sep 2018
Clebardman said:
@leonanime123 Well, koreans are showing Hollywood how to make revenge movies since decades, yet America still produces garbage like the latest adaptation of Ghost in the Shell. Don't expect good anime adaptations becoming the norm because it happened once in korea (^%

Smh...
This sounds utterly retarded.
You said Hollywood still produces garbage like GitS adaption as if that's the best Hollywood could do or has done. This is like saying Japanese film industry has always been shitty because of the majority of their anime/manga live action being shitty.

Do you forget, or more likely ignore, movies like The Dark Knight, Winter Soldier,the latest Mission Impossible movies and Fury Road that take action movies to another level? Do you forget Gone Girl? Lord of the Rings trilogy? John Wick? Inception? Rescue Private Rian?
And all above are produced by a weakened, water-downed Hollywood. I said Korean film industry is better than its current Japanese counterpart, but it still gets a long way to go.
Sep 25, 2018 3:43 AM

Nov 2011
Kenshin and Bleach live action was good.

Sep 25, 2018 3:47 AM
Apr 2017
this is why i believe that non white wash anime adaptation in the west can be good
however i am for mixing races
i dont like just watching one color of cast
Sep 25, 2018 3:47 AM

Jul 2015
@leonanime123 Except a couple I didn't see, I find almost all the movies you mentionned horrible, barring Fury Road wich was an oasis in the very arid desert these last years have been in terms of action movies, and that I'd rank up there with the two first terminator movies in term of blending entertainment with an actual artistic vision and coherent themes. Even if Miller peppered his movie with useless slow-mo scenes for 3d goggles, the movie's visuals and imagery were coherent throughout and supported the themes nicely.

Like c'mon, the Dark Knight with Christian Bale? Alias Poker-Face-from-Equilibrium? Lord of the Rings? Eeeeew. I'd rather rewatch Drive or Mud.

And the bat's story is a weak revenge story. Spawn is the real deal (^:
Sep 25, 2018 3:53 AM

Aug 2015
leonanime123 said:
KEIKAN said:
I'd also have to agree that Japanese cinema's strongest assets are it's variety of drama films. I would also have added horror into the Japanese side a few years ago, but I've seen a lot fewer decent horror movies coming out. I did buy the bluray for I am a Hero recently, and I thought that was really good, same with Shin Godzilla... but yeah, pretty infrequent schedule of anything action oriented I'm interested in seeing from Japan.

Sorry to cut something out, because I want to focus on certain things.

What do you "variety of drama films"?
Their modern mainstream drama films range from family drama, romance, and movies about very mundane and small things.

Other countries like Korea and China (Hong Kong actually) has produced more drama from more genres (What are Japan's equivalents to Old Boy and Infernal Affairs?). And we are not being bringing up Hollywood drama. Sure, many Hollywood films do suck, but, as a whole, Hollywood are still on the top of the food chain, making drama films that tie into multiple genres, like Blade Runner 2049 (Personal drama + mind-blowing science opera+ great world building.) or The Dark Knight (Personal drama + crime thriller + manga live-action).

They even manage to lose one of their most valuable asset, horror films. Frankly,the quality of their horror films have declined tremendously. The brand "J-horror" has lost its appeal and credibility. What's worse is their obsession for remake, reboot, and crossover (Kyako vs Sadako).

Thoughts?

I understand what you're saying, I've thought many of the same things. However, don't be too quick to disregard some of the Japanese drama films as "mundane." For example, check out just about any film by Kore-eda Hirokazu. He specializes in creating very focused family or human condition type films. Nobody Knows is an especially excellent example of his work.

I hadn't realized that Miike is getting a bad rep in Japan. However, the man makes movies at such an incredible rate, I wouldn't doubt he puts out some bad films. Seriously, he's directed a TON of movies. Could the King of Bad Movies title be a little misunderstood? Something like an Eastern Bruce Campbell? Lol.

-Asano Naganori
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9162 by anime-prime »»
7 minutes ago

» Looks like mecha anime's are dead. RIP, giant robots. ( 1 2 3 )

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

110 by Guilmon1 »»
10 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7252 by Akua »»
30 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1049 by 84DaysWithout »»
38 minutes ago

» Favorite anime YouTube channel

ani2016 - 3 hours ago

6 by Daviljoe193 »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.